PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Length Freakout

Keildra
November 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I don't know I guess I'm just paranoid that my terminal length is going to be way shorter than my goal length. My goal is classical and I know my mom and oldest sister both had their hair at classical length at one point in their lives. I've never tried to grow past APL and my dad's side of the family always cut their hair short so I don't know what my terminal length could be. I'm freaked out and in need of comforting.:-(

vanity_acefake
November 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't worry. If your mum and sister have had their hair at classic length then the chances for you look pretty good. I'm sending you hugs.

spidermom
November 19th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Don't worry; statistically, your chances of reaching classic length are very good. I didn't know if I could get there because the only person with long hair in my family that I know of - my grandmother - never cut her hair at all, and I only remember it being about hip length. Now I'm only a couple of inches (2-4) away from my goal of classic length, so all that angst was for nothing. Enjoy your hair at whatever length you have, trim off split/damaged ends, and take the best care of your health that you possibly can. All will be well.

ladycatpurrs
November 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I understand that. I also am in a family of people that have never really let their hair grow to term so I don't know if genetically I will be able to grow my hair as long as I would like for it to be. (Which of course is as long as Princess Diana's wedding dress train or am I being unrealistic? LOL, kidding)

Islandgrrl
November 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Chances that you'll get to classic are excellent, especially if others in your family have reached classic.

Treat your hair well, be gentle with it, and it'll surprise you!

MadPirateBippy
November 19th, 2009, 09:07 PM
In your user pic your hair isn't doing any sort of dramatic taper, so you should be good. Keep in mind that terminal is effected by both nutrition and handling- so if you improve one or both, your terminal can change. Drink enough water, eat enough greens, don't blowdry, and your terminal can shift. :)

Again, though, from your picture you're no where near your terminal, you don't have enough taper.

RancheroTheBee
November 19th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I kind of worried about the same thing. Both my mother and my grandmother wore their hair at classic, but they both had blunt classic cuts (think Igor's hair, but black). But I seem to have my father's hair: dark reddish blonde, wurly and finer than my mother's, and nobody in his side of the family has ever even attempted anything past APL. I realized that even if I can only get to BSL-waist, I'll still be happy. (Well, I'd be a bit disappointed, but I wouldn't be seething with rage.)

halfbakedtulip
November 19th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I worry about this all the time. The longest I have had my hair is 26 in so far :( Noone in my family has ever had long hair...sigh... And when I look at my hair from my wedding 4 yrs ago and compare it to where it is now...its pretty close. I did just recently trim almost 3 in off.

As the others have said you shouldnt worry as you have proof that your family members can grow their hair ...so just look after yourself, dont stress and it will come :)

Jennie80
November 20th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I have the same thought. I have never grow my hair longer than bsl. But my mom did have classic when she was a little girl. She has never try to grow so long after that.My granny cut her hair off.. I hope my genes are good..My goal is classic

duckish
November 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Eek, I can empathize! I can't find anyone in my family who has been able to grow their hair longer than hip and mine seems to be stalling at classic. :-(

Ah, well. Classic is fun, right?

Anje
November 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I can empathize too. I'm a little worried as well -- I'd like to have fingertip to knee length, but my hair's got a good bit of taper happening and my mother claims her hair doesn't grow much past shoulder length.

Oh well, I've got tailbone at least, and I suspect there's a little thickness moving down.

You've got family members who hit classic. If you don't have terrible taper, you'll probably get there too. Most folks can, if they take care of their length and protect it.

camirra555
November 20th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if your mom and your sister have grown that long. I have the same worries as you though, I've never had my hair past APL and my goal is tail bone-classic. My sister has had tail bone length hair before though so I think I'll be fine.

prittykitty
November 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM
The length and type of hair your mother and sister has does not always reflect what you will have. My mother has very fine thin, straight hair that she wears short. My sister is the same way, fine, thin frail hair that when pulled just a little too hard, it falls out. My mothers sister (my aunt) though had very long waist length, straight hair that seemed very strong. My uncle on my mothers side of the family was a hippie back in the days and wore his hair very long, to his waist and it seemed to be in really nice condition too. On my fathers side of the family, they are Mexican and some of the members have thick, curly dark hair and some have straighter hair that seems to grow nice. My grandmother had long thick, curly hair when she was young (I saw pictures). My aunt on that side of the family also has the same type of hair along with a few cousins. I seem to have taken after that side. I have kind of thick, curly hair that was once very long when I was a child. Some family even say that I look just like my grandmother when she was young. So, I am hoping I will soon have the same kind of long hair that she had and what I once had as a child. If your own hair is growing nice , I wouldn't worry about it not reaching the length you want. I have come to the conclusion that my hair may or may not get to a terminal length that I want. Instead I am going to go along with the quality of my hair and if is is healthy and nice and only grows to APL, I will be very happy. However I am still hoping for a much longer length.