PDA

View Full Version : Sulfates SLS,ALES, and all others cleaning ingredients

Desideira
November 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I hope starting this thread is order to know and learn more about sulfates and share different results wheater good or bad .:)

I read some information about SLS but I was wondering about Amonum Lauryl Sulfate, TEA Lauryl sulfate, cocoamidpropyl betaine, and all other that I didnt mention....there is so many and its confusing sometimes

I think It woudl be good to collect all infroamtion about them
I would like to know about their properties, maybe rating them from most hars to most delicate. possible toxidicy for human and enivorment.Wahtever you know about it may be inportant and helpfull and interesting for me and for other members.

I know that maybe somene might tell that I coudl find this information in the internet but I thought that creating a thread give possiblity to share information and learn not only for me but eveyone so we can all find something new or uselful and maybe our heads and hair will benefit with it hopefully:)

I would like to ask to share your experices and information so maybe we will create information threat about sulfates and their properites and everthing we think, like, and dislike about them and possbile alternatives.

knowlege is the key so lets find it:)
Hope you dear LHC memeber will like this idea:cheese:

prittykitty
November 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I don't know a lot about them except for they work great for me. I have tried going sulfate free and used one of the Giovanni products and my scalp did not feel clean. I also have an oily scalp so that may have contributed to it not feeling clean. I went back to sulfates and my scalp felt great. I have read where some have reported thinning hair due to sulfates but I have never had that problem with them.

shockinglength
November 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I've heard that Sodium Laureth sulfate is the gentlest surfactant. Is this true? I dunno...lol thanks for starting this thread. I'll really help me =D

teela1978
November 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I've heard that ALS is good in hard water because it rinses really well. This may or may not be true... but I do live in a hard water area, and it works well for me.

Tressie
November 19th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I have wondered some of the same things. I will be watching this thread with interest. Thanks for starting this!

Now, some of you scientific minds chime in!

akurah
November 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
If you're reaaaally patient and willing to dig and search thru the forums, there is a surprising wealth of information on most of those surficants, just not a single compiled reference thread such as what you're looking for. A good place to start is the article Ursula wrote on sulfates (don't have the link handy, typing this from my Blackberry), it can be found in the articles section. Later when I'm on the computer I shall post links to some of the research I have done (limited as it is) and some other threads I think you may find helpful. Maybe we can get enough information together to make a proper FAQ to help address some of the information you're seeking, as I bet many would find it useful.

Good thread idea.

Aero
November 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I quit using sulfates on by fine blond hair and I've found its more voluminous and less oily. I use Aubrey organics mixed with baking soda.

teela1978
November 19th, 2009, 11:06 PM
If you're reaaaally patient and willing to dig and search thru the forums, there is a surprising wealth of information on most of those surficants, just not a single compiled reference thread such as what you're looking for. A good place to start is the article Ursula wrote on sulfates (don't have the link handy, typing this from my Blackberry), it can be found in the articles section. Later when I'm on the computer I shall post links to some of the research I have done (limited as it is) and some other threads I think you may find helpful. Maybe we can get enough information together to make a proper FAQ to help address some of the information you're seeking, as I bet many would find it useful.

Good thread idea.

I'm pretty sure Ursulas article is where I got my ALS/hard water thingy. I wasn't sure if that article made it from the old boards to the new one.

*Aoife*
November 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Sorry to steal the topic with a newbie question, but I've been trying to figure out why people avoid sulphates. What are they believed to do to the hair?

shockinglength
November 20th, 2009, 09:08 PM
SLS is very harsh and drying to the hair.:shocked:

longforhim
November 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Interesting thread. I have wondered about sulfates myself. I hope to gather some info on this.

Katze
November 21st, 2009, 04:19 AM
I don't know a lot about them except for they work great for me. I have tried going sulfate free and used one of the Giovanni products and my scalp did not feel clean. I also have an oily scalp so that may have contributed to it not feeling clean. I went back to sulfates and my scalp felt great. I have read where some have reported thinning hair due to sulfates but I have never had that problem with them.

I second this. I need sulfates a couple of times a month, and since I try to swim once a week, I use them to get the chlorine out. I wash WO or CO once a week, and CWC or CW or WC with sulfates once a week - washing every 4 days or so.

I went over six months 'poo free some years ago, and my hair got waxy and weird and my scalp was very unhappy.

Regular sulfate use seems to keep my hair clean and, most importantly, my scalp from getting itchy and crusty.

Others with fine hair also seem to have good experiences with occasional sulfate use...

Tressie
November 21st, 2009, 05:23 AM
I used an Herbal Solutions wash on my scalp, mostly, yesterday. It was supposed to calm itchy scalp and had some good ingredients along with SLS. I had avoided that ingredient for over a year, but I thought one good wash might clarify my scalp? Hair was a bit dry though, so I applied Abba nourishing conditioner lightly as a leave-in. AOK!

melikai
November 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Sulfates are definitely more stripping to the hair than is usually necessary. They were originally developed to clean garage floors of heavy grease, and in industry.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is the same as Sodium dodecyl sulfate. Most hand soaps and dish detergents also contain SLS.
The more harsh and drying sulfates include Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate (or Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate). The Laureth is supposedly a bit less harsh and of a concern than the Lauryl.

Milder sulfates include TEA lauryl/laureth sulfates, Sodium Myreth Sulfate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, and Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate. The molecules of these are larger and aren't able to penetrate the hair shaft or skin. That is the primary concern with the other sulfates. There are still other, more gentle, cleansers than these though.

My experience with sulfates hasn't been as bad as for some, but they do dry out my scalp a great deal. They also seem to increase itchiness, and you can't stretch washes for as long, because you are continually stripping your scalp, which reacts by producing more oil, etc.

My SO can only use very gentle sulfates (Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate), if anything. Since stopping using SLS, his severe scalp flakiness and oiliness have almost completely cleared up.

I use a shampoo with sodium coco glucoside.

mira-chan
November 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Sorry to steal the topic with a newbie question, but I've been trying to figure out why people avoid sulphates. What are they believed to do to the hair?
I don't use sulfates because I'm sensitive to them. They make my scalp and skin itch so much I scratch it to blood. Needless to say I avoid them in all forms. They are also very stripping, and when I did use them, if I washed more than once a week with them my hair would start breaking from dryness even with conditioner.

This does not happen to everyone reactions to all things vary widely amongst individuals. There is no "one size fits all" thing in hair care (or most everything else). *End of usual LHC disclaimer.*:D

Tabitha
November 25th, 2009, 08:32 AM
My hair thrives on sulphates, so I'd be really interested in learning more about the different kinds. :drama: *watches this thread*

I tried 2 varieties of the Burts Bees sulphate-free shampoos and found they made my hair extra tangly - it felt stripped and almost "hurt" and I ended up using them for hand laundry.

teela1978
November 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM
My hair thrives on sulphates, so I'd be really interested in learning more about the different kinds. :drama: *watches this thread*

I tried 2 varieties of the Burts Bees sulphate-free shampoos and found they made my hair extra tangly - it felt stripped and almost "hurt" and I ended up using them for hand laundry.
I often have this experience with sulfate-free shampoos. They seem gentler on my scalp (which isn't a good thing on my scalp), but harsher on my length somehow. Its the opposite of what many others on this site find, maybe I have weird hair :shrug:

Desideira
November 26th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I am really happy to read all your post and to see that this tread is growing:):cheese:

Personally I still cant figuret out sulfates.
Some people just cant use them and some here have sucess with growing very long hair and use sls withaut any problems. :confused:

After i read about how hars and irritating they can be I started to use sulfate free shampoos but they made my hair hard,limp and impossible to comb and hard water was not helping.

I used to blame sulfates for my itchy scalp but after I installed KDf filter that stops chlorine my scalp is ok. I use sahmpoo with sulfates, but i make sure that it has other soothing and moistiurazing igriedents to somehow balance its strong cleaning porperties.

mira-chan
November 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I am really happy to read all your post and to see that this tread is growing:):cheese:

Personally I still cant figuret out sulfates.
Some people just cant use them and some here have sucess with growing very long hair and use sls withaut any problems. :confused:

After i read about how hars and irritating they can be I started to use sulfate free shampoos but they made my hair hard,limp and impossible to comb and hard water was not helping.

I used to blame sulfates for my itchy scalp but after I installed KDf filter that stops chlorine my scalp is ok. I use sahmpoo with sulfates, but i make sure that it has other soothing and moistiurazing igriedents to somehow balance its strong cleaning porperties.
If sulfates work and cause no problems then by all means use them. It's much easier that way too. The variety of reactions are due to differences in body chemistry. Just like some people are allergic to things and others are not.

I itch from chlorine too but not quite so badly. Sulfates give me itchy sores and when in toothpaste, mouth ulcers. :( I have dry skin and detergents just eat away at it.

I'm perfectly fine with sulfate free shampoo. I have no problem with coco betaine either though it is a bit drying.

Thinthondiel
November 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM

I agree... at least when it comes to my hair. SLS makes my hair dry, poofy, frizzy and full of fly-aways.

Liss
December 21st, 2009, 12:37 PM
I have noticed that the majority of supermarket shampoos have some type of sulfate as the main ingredient. This makes my hair so dry at first, then extra oily scalp the next day.

Since I can never seem to find a sulfate free shampoo that is within my limited budget, I always check to make sure whatever I buy doesn't have the first ingredient as a sulfate (usually the second, or better the third). It limits my options, but makes a bit of a difference. I guess I'm just one of the more sensitive types.

teela1978
December 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM

It works great on my hair.

thankyousir74
December 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
I still haven't figured out the right products/routine to keep my hair soft. Now I'm on vacation and I'm using my mother's SLS shampoo. My hair is not happy. At least I know I'm doing something right with my non-SLS shampoo back in my dorm.

teela1978
December 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
I still haven't figured out the right products/routine to keep my hair soft. Now I'm on vacation and I'm using my mother's SLS shampoo. My hair is not happy. At least I know I'm doing something right with my non-SLS shampoo back in my dorm.

try a pre-wash heavy oiling... assuming there's some olive or coconut oil about. couldn't hurt.