PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with wings?

shortgoinglong
November 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
No, I'm not a bird! LOL I'm growing out a pixie cut and my hair is now almost completely covering my ears and the back is below my collar. My problem is I now have two wings of hair beside each ear that stick out of the sides of my head. I have used a headband and they still stick out and tried different styles and nothing works. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't care around the house but going out I like to look neat.

thankyousir74
November 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
That, my friend, is what we call the "awkward phase". I used to use little hair pins, and when it got longer, I just constantly frenchbraided it.

Katze
November 19th, 2009, 09:26 AM
i try to make it look like they are on purpose. Headbands help. Letting my hair get a bit 'dirtier' helps cause I can slick it down with oil and gel. But I understand that at your length, letting your hair be 'dirty' might not be an option.

barettes, bobby pins, etc are also your friends - but I feel your pain!

spidermom
November 19th, 2009, 09:54 AM
You could maybe curl it for awhile - like with pincurls or something relatively nondamaging. I don't recommend a curling iron, although at the awkward stages I felt that heat-styling implements were my friends. I didn't mind cutting out the damage when my hair got longer.

kimannabella
November 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Kirby grips,Or a really nice scarf tied like a headband.

2peasinapod
November 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I wore a lot of headscarves. On days I had to look presentable, I used headbands in the front and lots of bobby pins on the wings.

Good luck. I just got pat the phase where they stick out, and it was well worth the wait.

Xandergrammy
November 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Headbands, gel, bobby pins and barrettes- in any combination, were what helped me deal with my wings. Heck, I still have them and they refuse to be tamed. :rolleyes:

natorade
November 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I am almost out of the wing stage. I usually curl my hair. I have a couple of clip in extensions that I blend with my hair to help my sides look the same length as my back and to hide what is left of my wings. I am hoping that after I grow another 2 inches I can ditch the exrensions. I have to admit that my extensions has boosted my outlook on my hair for now.

shortgoinglong
November 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks a lot, I will try some advice. I have come to the conclusion that I will not cut this time no matter what! I have cut at this stage so many times before because I am a neat freak and then I have to start all over. I never had to grow out short hair before and I'm determined never to do it again. I just hope it looks decent for Christmas and all those pictures!

feralnature
November 19th, 2009, 01:42 PM
You will find that winged stage flies by. So take lots of pics...back of the head, side, front. They will make a good comparison later on. I wish I had taken more short hair pics of myself but usually take pics of other stuff.

turtlelover
November 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I got through it with *gulp* a straightening iron. *BLUSH*

Flynn
November 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
There was a style I loved for keeping the front of my hair tidy. I hope I can explain it well enough

Basically, it's like fairly fat cornrows, but they are twists. You (either mentally or physically) divide the top part of your hair into sections (I usually did seven), grab the first little bit of hair in one hooked finger, and start twisting it. Use your hooked index finger to tighly hook more hair from a little further back into the twist. Continue in this fashion until you get to where a half-up should normally end. Secure with a small elastic or bobby pins. Repeat for each row.

The final effect is something like a half-up, made of twisted cornrow things in the front, and loose short hair in the back. A little bit of styling wax to fluff up the back really finishes it off nicely.

It's very quick to do; only a few minutes. I could do it as fast as I can do a decent ponytail now.

You might need to dampen your hair just a tiny bit and add some (leave-in) conditioner. It can make it all twist together more easily.

Pierre
November 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I suggest a two-sided hairstyle. Right now I'm wearing a bun behind/above each ear. Another one is a pair of Dutch braids. I usually wear styles like that even though I'm close to waist.

LittleOrca
November 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM
If I had some wings I would bread them and fry em up.... Oh.. you meant hair? nm. ;)

lonestargal
November 21st, 2009, 09:04 AM
I would suggest either clips or a curling/flat iron. At your length you will have to do trims anyways so any damage will be cut off.

Ottoline
November 27th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I have no tips but am in the same boat and feeling like I should hang my head in shame. I keep telling myself, a few months and it'll be a whole different ballgame... (hopefully!)

Growing out from very short is just NO fun at all!

jessie58
November 27th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Oh I hated my wing stage, I had it for a long time because the more my hair grew, the longer the wings became. I definitely wore a lot of barrettes and hairpins. That seems to be the most annoying stage.

If you are lucky enough to have nice curly hair, you might be able to shape the wings when they are drying, by pinning them into place and have some nice little pin curls in strategic places when dry.

Curlsgirl
November 27th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Headbands, gel, bobby pins and barrettes- in any combination, were what helped me deal with my wings. Heck, I still have them and they refuse to be tamed. :rolleyes:

:lol: I was going to say the same thing! I have them at times because of my curly hair, always at the sides of my bangs. I just pretend I am Farrah :D (May she rest in peace)

FrozenPrincess
November 28th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Oh how i remember those stray bits of hair that stick out behind the ears. My solution was to wear a bandanna. Looked odd with the short hair, but hid the sticky outie bits like a charm.

Finaleofseem
November 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I'm at about chin length, and my waves cause me to have "wings" sometimes, too. I use a headband, or a few bobbie pins.

Are you a wavy? The comment about being able to "shape" them as they're drying is what I do a lot of the time, and try to make them into more spiral-y curls.

funnybunny668
November 28th, 2009, 10:36 AM
My hair is finally getting long enough for the waves to start showing up gain, so I've been trying to encourage them by scrunching. That seems to help the wings look more like they belong there. LOL If that doesn't work, I wet it back down and stick what I can behind my ears. ;)

InTheCity
November 29th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Are they long enough to roll? I guess you'd call it roll but twist against the head toward the back and secure with little clips or bobby pins. Little tiny clips definitely help and I liked the scarf ideas mentioned above.

Leena7
November 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I used to use a blow drier to blow my hair along the curve of my head. For example, I tilted the barrel so that the air blew diagonally downward towards my chin. That way,when the hair became messier throughout the day it looked as though it was on purpose. Heat tools got me through this awkward stage better than anything else.

spidermom
November 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I must confess to relying on both blow-dryer and curling iron to make my hair look tousled on purpose rather than growing out mess winging out all over the place. I knew I'd have to cut out damage eventually, but I was willing. Oh - and I bought two wigs. They are costume quality so don't look real, but they were good, cheap fun, especially on a cold day.