PDA

View Full Version : no clips, no sticks updo

rach
November 18th, 2009, 03:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08Ikn5lcyA&feature=related
i came across this u-tube video (i was only interested of the first half of it) and i just can't do it!!!!
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/no.jpg
it slips and falls out :rolleyes: after a few seconds :(
i don't know if it's to do with my layers making my hair thiner at the ends or the condition of it being very different to hers , i don't know but this one would have been useful to master.

thought i'd share it with you lot and maybe some of you will be more sucessful .........

maria_asa
November 18th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I've tried it before and it just doesn't work for me either. I just assumed it was because my hair is so thin and slippery but now I don't know :shrug:

KatKeRo
November 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Can't do it either.

Liluri
November 18th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I've just done it with damp hair, I'd not try it again it pulls! I'm pretty sure my hair wouldn't hold if it was dry.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=55622

Ranee
November 18th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I tried it a while back, but it didn't work out for me either. I'm waaay to updo challenged for this!

rach
November 18th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I've just done it with damp hair, I'd not try it again it pulls! I'm pretty sure my hair wouldn't hold if it was dry.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=203&pictureid=55622

maybe that part of the problem is we're unwilling to pull out hair that tight.

insaney2001
November 18th, 2009, 07:14 AM
its not quite the same but i do a bun without the use of any sticks or elastics or anything that usually stays in pretty good for most of the day. if it falls i just stick it back up. Though if i do it as a damp but it will hold all day no problem. I haven't used elastics in my hair since the summer and i beleive my hair is better for it i have practically no split ends when i look so i figure i must be doing something right.

Willow
November 18th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I have tried it as well with no success. My hair is heavily layered though. I SO wanted this to work as I can't stand the feel of having clips, sticks, etc. in my hair.

How do you do the bun that holds itself?

rags
November 18th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I've tried that one too - no luck at all. I thought it was because my hair was too thin and waaay too slippery.

Akiko
November 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Hmmm. It held for a little while. But won't stay. I think my bun is too heavy.

pepperminttea
November 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I've tried this before; no luck either.

Periwinkle
November 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I've tried it before but my hair is insanely thick and simply cannot fit - if I do it tight enough to hold, the hair doesn't fit, and if I do it loose enough to get my hair in, it's too loose and falls out.

shadowclaw
November 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Wow, that's really difficult! Everytime I try to pull the hair from one side to the other and tuck the bun, everything just falls apart. I think the bun would have to be really, really tightly wound for it to work.

pdy2kn6
November 18th, 2009, 10:20 AM
That looks a cool style. I thought it wasn't going to look too good while she was doing it, but the end result looks really nice and polished

florenonite
November 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I tried it and it's not fallen out yet, but I suspect it will soon.

When I need to get my hair out of the way and I don't have any hairtoys, I do a cinnabun and pull the ends through the middle. It's a bit messy with the ends poking out, but it holds for a while. I've done it before for lectures, and it's stayed that way the whole hour, and I also did it once to vacuum the pool, and it stayed up the entire time. The latter was before I had layers, though.

verene
November 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I tried it and amazingly it worked for a little while. My hair usually slides out of any no stick/tie/clip hairstyle in seconds so making it to 15 min was good for me.

I'm trying it again right now, so far it's held for 30 min with out sliding, but I've just been doing laundry and desk work. I don't think it would hold for anything more vigorous.

The trick seems to be in the tension. Making the base of the pony-tail slightly loose, and a very tight twist down the length. There may also be something to the thickness of the piece of hair you tuck the bun under as this second time I used a slightly thicker piece of hair and it is holding better.

GeoJ
November 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I tried that in the past and couldn't get it to stay, but I can't get any hair-toy free bun to stay for more than about 10 minutes.

Quixii
November 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I tried it several times, and just now I've got it to stay - so far. (It's been less than a minute. xD) It's not overly comfortable and I bet it looks bad, too.
My favourite bun for if I don't have anything is just twisting it all, and then tying it into a knot.

enfys
November 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I can't get any bun to stay without something to convince it. Sticks, pins, gum. It won't do it alone.

Ok, not gum.

Wavelength
November 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I can't get this to work either, but I figure I just have too much hair. It's at tailbone.

rach
November 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
don't say gum!!! :justy:

well i'm glad for the majority it's not just me.

aside i do find my hair holds a cinnamon bun without impediments most the time as my ends are making a V shape which i'm finding much easier for buns ect to tuck in and hold. Haven't tried a big knot in yet, that might be entertaining with layers :lol:

Liluri
November 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I can't get any bun to stay without something to convince it. Sticks, pins, gum. It won't do it alone.

Ok, not gum.

And I was going to ask for a tutorial for that too :p

enfys
November 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I take it back. It has barely stayed for a good few mins, including moving. I can see a use for it when I'm brushing my teeth or something but not as a wearable style.

You do have to pull it tight for a few seconds, but it slackens back out so it isn't pulling non-stop. I held the base tightly as I wrapped so it wasn't too tight when it flipped it. The base never really got twisted.

Shame it looks really pants and scruffy.

bigmama8
November 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I tried this updo and it won't stay up for me. It started falling immediately and left my hair in a tangled mess.

Quixii
November 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Okay, so I took down the hairdo after about a half hour (the one mentioned in the other post) because it was started to give me a headache. I didn't really have the tightness right.
Today in the shower I decided to try again while I had conditioner in my hair. I did the initial twisting loosely, and then the twisting-to-a-bun a normal amount of tightness, and then tried it - and it worked wonderfully. It stayed put until I took it down to rinse out and was not uncomfortable or pulling anything. :D I'll try again with dry hair later, to see whether it was really just the filled-with-conditioner-ness that helped.

little_acorn
November 19th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Nope wouldn't stay on me either

Anje
November 19th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Mine won't do it. I think my length to thickness (at scalp) ratio is way too big.

One of these years I'll get around to making a video of my ugly little lump bun that stays without anything. It requires hair long enough to do a celtic knot with some to spare, though.

morguebabe
November 19th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I use one style where I make a pony tail or at least grip like I'm making a pony a tail,, twist the hair, tie it in a knot, then wrap the tail around the knot and tuck it in. That stays pretty well. I should you tube that.

Sylvanas
November 19th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I just tried this with damp hair. Did not work :p

Svenja
April 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I found this link on youtube and I think it's a lovely, quick and easy way to get your hair up.

Hope it's helpful for you!

You tube _ Quick and easy bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08Ikn5lcyA&playnext_from=TL&videos=Rw9ZRbzsLwo&feature=grec)

Enjoy! :D

PineappleJello
April 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I tried the link but it's not working.

Svenja
April 27th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Sorry! I had two "http://" in. Please, try it again.

JenniferNoel
April 27th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I love it! Thanks for sharing! :)

Svenja
April 27th, 2010, 08:14 AM
You're welcome :D

I have tried it right away, and even I can do it without any hassle (keeping in mind I have two left hands LOL!)

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy205/FiendishMinx/th_DSC02115.jpg (http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy205/FiendishMinx/DSC02115.jpg)

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy205/FiendishMinx/th_DSC02113.jpg (http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy205/FiendishMinx/DSC02113.jpg)

It's not neat and nice yet, but not bad for a start. One more style for my list *yay*

PineappleJello
April 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM
That is really neat :) Thank you.

Svenja
April 27th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I found out, if you create your twsity bun a bit on the left side of your head and pull the hair over it's more likely to sit in the centre of the back of your head.

tigr
April 27th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Wow! I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do this!

The back of my head is kind of flat, so high buns are better for me.

Loreley
April 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I tried several times but it didn't work for me. :taz:
Maybe my bun is too heavy because it always falls down after a minute. :(

Svenja
April 27th, 2010, 08:46 AM
You might want to try securing it with a stick. I am sure that'll work.

Snowcold
April 27th, 2010, 08:50 AM
My hair is too thick and layered (SL) to pull it off.. :(

Svenja
April 27th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Mine is layered, too. Have you tried twisting your layers into the bun?

anna francesca
I found this video about half a year ago, love it! MOST HANDY BUN EVER

renarok
I've seen this before posted here and I've never had any success:( My hair is too big. It looks like I am sprouting another head.

It looks so cute on the girl in the video.

chopandchange
April 27th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I had seen this before. When I tried it I couldn't get it to work at all. Maybe I was doing it wrong. :confused:

tyrant1100
April 27th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I've had only occasional success with this style. My hair is so fine that it refuses to hold on its own and I have to use a stick.

missmandy
April 27th, 2010, 09:43 AM
That's amazing. And it looks great too!!!!!

SunDreamer76
April 27th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I actually have had this video saved as one of my favorites on YouTube for awhile now. Every now and then I'll watch it again to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong... because I have tried and tried but can't get this to work with my hair. I think I have too much hair -- too long, too layered, too poufy??? :( It's really cute too...

Angeletti
April 27th, 2010, 09:47 AM
this bun is great if you don't have a clip or ponytail holder around and you want your hair out of the way

Purdy Bear
April 27th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Iv tried to do this on my hairdressing styling head on numerous occasions and it very rarely works for me ! :(

I may need to wait until my hair regrows completely and gets long enough to try on myself.

kelly-j
April 27th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Thank´s for sharing. I tried it right away but it doesn´t seem to work for me. Maybe my hair is too heavy.

anrems
April 27th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Cool! I need to practice to get it the right tightness, because it keeps falling out. But I really likie it, thanks for sharing!

sarah061
April 27th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Wow! That's incredible! Thank you so much for posting that Svenja!
It's so hard for me to find hairstyles that my layered APL hair can do but this one works like a charm. Yay! I'm excited now :)

Svenja
April 27th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I am happy for those of you for whom the style worked, and sorry for all of you who cannot do it. Maybe it's really a question of hair type.

:D

julliams
April 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM
That's brilliant - another "why didn't I think of that"!!

Ivy~Rose
April 27th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Holy cow, I love it! Totally impressed. I will try this when my hair is down :)

chahuahuas
July 15th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I just stumbled on this video on youtube after failing nautilus bun tutorials for like an hour. It worked GREAT for me!!! Even as I type, my hair is staying very firmly in an elegant french-twist-ish fashion. I even bounced around a bit and poked at it... this bun ain't goin' nowhere :p

When I searched the forum to see if the link has been posted before, I'm very surprised to find how many of you struggled with this hairstyle! You guys are probably right about it being a matter of hair being to fine or slippery. My hair is the opposite of slippery right now, since my 3a curls have loosened and are a bit dirty, creating a "textured" effect.

I think the "textured-ness" of my hair that was helping with this bun was the reason I had couldn't manage with the nautilus bun. The nautilus bun requires the hair to move around & stretch a bit when you loop it over itself, which requires smooth and slippery hair. My hair is SO not slippery right now, so it's no wonder I was having troubles. Also, I have layers, so my hair tapers quite a bit. I think the nautilus bun works best when your ponytail is "rope-like," where it's nice and thick and smooth all the way down. This no-pins bun, on the other hand, just requires that your hair can make it into a cinnabun, which my hair can do, no problem.

I definitely think this is a hairstyle that you LHCers with above-hip (maybe above tailbone if your hair is thinner or more tapered?) should try, especially ones with 2a, 2b, 2c or 3a hair (the kind that has texture & body so it's not slippery, but can be more easily pulled/straightened out than 3bs and above.) If the nautilus is not for you, this one just might do the trick! :D

*bounces* yep, still very secure & rather elegant with NO PINS OR STICKS! :cheese: :happydance:

Hairizona
July 15th, 2011, 06:49 AM
If you really look at her hair, it is much shorter and has layering to it.....of course she can do this style. I could do things with my hair at that length that I could never do at this length!

Aredhel77
July 15th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Mine's at APL length, wavy/wurly, fairly thick and I have a few layers that I'm growing out. I already do something similar - a pin-less cinnamon bun - or at least I think it's a cinnamon bun. I hold hair as if to make a pony tail in my left hand, twist the length out to the right and then coil it fairly tightly into a spiral around itself, counter-clockwise. I tuck the ends under the bun (at the moment they tend to fall around the '9 O' clock' area of the bun) and then grab the right hand side coil of the spiral i just made and pull it over and downwards. It secures the ends under and holds for ages and is even quicker to do than the updo described. However, I do think my hair texture lends itself to this updo as it's not very slippery?
Don't know if that helps anyone...

KatiSasha
July 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Totally just figured it out!! You have to twist hair clockwise, then twist it around itself clockwise as well, and then gather the hair from the top right. And vise versa:

if you're twsiting your hair counter clock wise, twist it around itself counterclockwise and then tuck it to the left. It works awesome and I have slippery APL hair!

ETA: what I was doing before and it was NOT working - I twisted the hair counterclockwise and then the bun to the left and tried to grab hair from the right - and everything would fall out :)

Nastasia
July 15th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I just tried it, and actually got it to stay! Unfortunately, I seriously look like a space alien with this bun. My head looks like the Xenomorph all of a sudden. It stands out from my head like a bee-butt bun, and when I tuck the coil under, I end up with hair pulled straight back from my hairline to the back of the bun. Does that image make any sense? Anyway, this is not the bun for me unless I want to scare people.