PDA

View Full Version : Post Surgery Hair Loss Questions

LittleOrca
November 18th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I am going to be having surgery in about a month from now. It's nothing life-threatening or to remove a tumor or anything along those lines. (More info in my blog. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=58433))

While I was being talked to about the operation by someone who had gone through it, she said she had some hair loss after the operation. No baldness or anything like that, but a big shed. I assumed this was primarily due to the restrictive diet of all liquids that she was, and I will have to be, on for four weeks post-op. The liquids are all high protein. While I can still take my vitamins and hair herbal pills (I asked! :D), I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to help my hair stay where it is and not shed as bad. I don't want to have to get a big chop after this is all done and have to feel like I am growing all over again (even with a cut of two inches I would feel like that).

Any suggestions? I would really appreciate them and some support. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-hug002.gifThanks.

ETA: I know I spelled surgery wrong in the header, sorry. :)
ETA 2: Added link to info in my blog.

ericthegreat
November 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I hope all goes well with your operation and that your recovery time is fast and not too painful and inconvenient.

Everyone reacts to medication and dieting differently, so I wouldn't worry prematurely just yet. When it comes it will come and you will deal with it then. :) Hopefully your shedding will not be as extreme as you fear it to be. :) Maybe in the meantime just baby your hair extra nicely, and whatever thinning you might experience well take off no more than 2 inches.

jera
November 18th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Hope you'll be okay and recover quickly Orca. Hugs. :)

I've never had any serious surgery, but not staying in bed too much, (I've heard) can help cuz your head isn't constantly overheated and rubbing against the pillow. Good to know you can still take your hair vits. I'm sure that will help ya.

Bene
November 18th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I've heard that the anesthesia will lead towards some excess shedding, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a silly old wives' tale. I think that post surgery hair loss is a result of the shock the body undergoes. Nothing to do to prevent it, but try and be as healthy as possible before the surgery, and try to recover well. Take any steps to avoid putting your body though any further stress while it heals.

I had some minor surgery in August of this year, but didn't notice any significant shedding.

Just wanted to add, you might want make sure you have some magazines for the hospital, and a bunch of magazines, books, dvd's, etc. waiting for you when you get home. Also, a good multi-vitamin if your doctor is ok with that, you may have some loss of appetite post-surgery and that could lead to shedding.

Good luck, and I hope everything turns out well.

Aditi
November 18th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Sorry i don't have any advices but just wanted to give you a BIG TIGHT HUG http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-hug002.gif Hope everything works out fine :flower:

Katze
November 18th, 2009, 02:24 AM
As someone who is still shedding post surgery (post caesarean!) I had the same fears and there was nothing I could do to stop the shed. :( My hair was thick during pregnancy, and it is scary thin now, but there is new growth coming in so in a few years maybe my hair will look thick again in 5 years or so (as long as it takes for the new growth to reach my nape...)

Hair does grow back, that's what I keep telling myself.

Since your shed, if you have one, WON'T be hormone related, and since I seem to recall your hair is pretty thick anyway, you can probably minimize it with vitamins, good diet, etc.

Do you take Omega fatty acids? I find fish oil to be really good for mood, skin, hair, nails, etc. It has not helped my shedding, but it keeps me on an even keel and keeps my scalp happier. Lately I have started taking extra Biotin in addition to my vitamins for pregnant and nursing moms (I am still nursing) and it seems to help slow the shed.

not much to say but keeping my fingers crossed that you DON'T have a shed...and that everything goes as well as possible with the surgery too, of course!

LittleOrca
November 18th, 2009, 02:59 AM
There are vitamins that the doctors are telling me to get to control hair loss, such as selenium and flaxseed oil, so I will add those to my vitamin regiment. I am just worried my hair will suffer greatly and I don't need another thing to be focusing on at this time.

I wont be spending much time in bed. They want me up and walking around to make sure I am not forming any blood clots and to make sure I am doing ok. In that aspect my hair wont suffer too bad, especially with my satin cap at my side, but the idea of losing even a little more hair than a normal shed makes me feel uneasy... I guess that just shows I am an LHC member. :)

maria_asa
November 18th, 2009, 03:52 AM
First I'd like to say that I'm sorry you'll have to have surgery but after reading your story I totally understand why and I wish you all the best. :flower:

Second, I went through major surgery (removing thyroid cancer) in November-2008 and January-2009 and I had no extra shedding. I realise that these are completely different surgeries but what I want to say is that different people can react very differently to the same thing. *hugs*

Nightshade
November 18th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I already posted in your journal, but I wanted to tell you I'm hoping for the best here too :)

Perhaps something else you could try is scalp oiling with EOs to help reduce shedding (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001)?

That and/or Monistat?

I had a pretty big shed after going from BCP to an IUD and the oil helped :)

pilateschick7
November 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I have had two friends-both nurses, who had your surgery. Both women were in there mid 40's and had no appreciable hair loss. Both took recommended vitamins. One practiced yoga to help relieve stress. She began practicing about a month prior and kept with it afterwords. They are both very vocal advocates for the positive impact the procedure has had on their live and self esteem.

Since it does not impact hormones it should not be as dramatic as some folks post op.

You have a truly wonderful personality and I hope it goes smoothly for you.
:grouphug:

spidermom
November 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Best wishes for a successful outcome to your surgery. I agree that the last thing you need to be doing is worrying about your hair, but really - no need. What will be will be. Take good care of yourself and adverse effects should be pretty minimal.

(By the way, you don't need an 's after questions in your title).

LittleOrca
November 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
(By the way, you don't need an 's after questions in your title).

I know, it was late and grammar was not my strong point when I am half asleep. :)

Thank you for the support everyone.

little_acorn
November 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Good luck Orca :grouphug:, I hope it all goes well for you.

I've had several lots of surgery - some of it major and had no appreciable shedding. My advice would be to try and stay as stress free as you can :flower:

headband
November 18th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I would cut it shorter if you are going to have hair loss, maybe wait till it actually happens. thinning hair in long hair isn't good. I felt unbalanced. Had all my hair fall out a month after 1 chemo (only 1 I had, quit after that). I was so glad that I cut it short beforehand beforehand. Long hair coming out is too over whelming.

But you don't know for sure if it's going to fall out. You'll want some sort of cut if a lot comes out. One of the reasons I'm on this forum is that I really value my hair after losing it. This was a few years ago when it happened, and as a result, I don't think it's vain to spend money on hair products after I lost all my hair. The surprising thing is that it really took a long time to grow back. I think when you are bald, you have to start a whole new root system, like growing tomato plants, they need a good root system.

Just be patient and heal from your surgery. It does grow back!!

Fractalsofhair
November 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Given the particular surgery you are having, the most serious issue could be shedding since in the situation that would have been most common to cause the reason you're having the surgery for, hair would be pretty low on the list of needed things. Once you get close to a goal, or aren't losing rapidly, you should probably be fine, and if you're getting enough vitamins and such, the hairloss will be minimized as you'll be tricking your body to a degree.

jera
November 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Orca, I have two relatives ( cousins ) who've had the same surgery you're going to have and neither one experienced hair loss post surgery.

Your hair is super thick and maybe the joy of getting this surgery done and inching closer to a life long goal will counteract any negativity.

Good luck. :)

ItsMyHair
November 18th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I did experience a massive shed after I had an emergency appendectomy. I was told it was from the anesthesia. But, I didn't know that at the time and it scared me half to death. It lasted about four weeks and then my hair went back to normal.

Mebo
November 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
After gall bladder surgery, I had a big shed. After lap band, none. I guess it just depends! Good luck.