PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing brown (or Katharine G's mix)

klcqtee
November 17th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Has anyone successfully dyed their hair brown?

My hair is currently copper due to some horrible chemical dying incident that I'm still scolding myself about.

I found this: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/katharineg/ and it seems like it should work well, but I'm still unsure, as I've never tried it. Anyone had any results with this or their own brown mix?

TIA!

chrissy-b
November 17th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I haven't used Katherine G's mix, but I have successfully henna'd my hair brown with Rainbow Henna. It covers my greys (mostly) and is definitely brown.

christi.adell
November 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I would like to know this as well. I would love to start henna but I really don't like my hair to have red in it, just brown.

Can you use Rainbow Henna over previously chemically dyed hair?

klcqtee
November 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Christi.adell I used rainbow henna over chemical hair dye without any problems a year or two a go. It really helped moisturize and help the overall condition of my hair. I had put it over a dye that was supposed to "wash out in 28 washes!". Pfft, after 3 years I still had dye left in my hair!

christi.adell
November 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Thank you klcqtee. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but that helps me decide.

Temporary dyes are never really temporary on me either!

Pifkin
November 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I got my hair back to it's natural brown shade with a 50/50 henna to indigo ratio, no alma (I'm not really sure what that is...) It was kind of a coppery red before from henna. So yes, I kind of used her mix.

Though it's starting to fade back to red. I did it last week for the first time. I'll probably do it again in a couple of weeks to make the indigo "stick" more.

Unofficial_Rose
November 20th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I used pretty much the same recipe for a couple of years to make myself a dark brunette. Henna + indigo are really good for dark reds and browns, will give you unbelievable condition and can be mixed up at home for a fraction of the price of a salon visit. If the indigo fades and it goes a bit reddish, an indigo gloss every couple of weeks (tablespoon of indigo plus enough conditioner to coever your hair) should sort it out.

Just don't ever try to highlight over anything with indigo in it, Seriously. It will turn green, which is why I have such short hair having gone back to highlighted blonde.

Henndigo brown is utterly convincingly natural looking, far more so (on me at any rate) than a brown chemical dye. It's also truly permanent - not in the chem dye sense of "will fade after a couple of months and be successfully dyed another colour" - permanent in the sense of "you will have to grow it out and cut it off to be rid of it". So be sure before you do it that you'll either a) never tire of it or b) don't mind pixie-ing your hair to get rid of it.

kdaniels8811
November 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM
You can check out my album for "dyed brown hair" before hendigo and the dark brown color after hendigo. I use a 50/50 mix and I love it. The condition and shine and yes, it does blaze red in the sun but there are photos in the sun to see how much. My avatar pic is freshly hendigo'ed hair. I only do the roots now, my natural color is medium brown with more grey than I care to admit - smile! The root touch up and length blend beautifully. But ... it is permanent so be very sure and strand test first to make sure you get a color you like. Everyone's hair will turn a different shade depending on the base color of your hair.

klcqtee
November 20th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I'm only looking to return back to my natural colour, so this shouldn't be a big change for me. I'm sure this is what I want (until of course, I decide to get henna happy again :rolleyes: