PDA

View Full Version : Need help - hair shedding?

YoginiCelestial
November 17th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I have noticed lately that I have been shedding. At least I guess that's what you'd call it?
It's not uncommon for me to comb my hair using my wide toothed wooden comb (from the Body Shop) and see some strands come out or even a few stands in the bottom of the tub after a nice warm bath. But for the last week or so I've noticed some strands of hair on my sleeves and on my desk and my clothes/jacket. I looked closer today and slid my fingers down the strand and it seems to have come out at the root because I can feel the little bump on the end where it came out at the follicle.
What do you think might be causing this?
I am shampooing and condition every other day and much milder shampoo than before. Trader Joe's Tingle Tree Tea is what I think might be the culprit because it makes my scalp tingle.
I also did just start taking Biotin 5000mcg daily and MSM 1000mg per day. I also take multi vitamins but don't think that would be the cause.
What do you think it could be that is causing my hair to drop strands from the root? Anyone have any similar experience? I'm really worried.
:confused:

little_acorn
November 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Sorry I have no experience with this, but it may be just a seasonal shed, I'm sure someone else has more to offer. :grouphug: :flower:

Keildra
November 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Changes in the whether? I know my hair starts falling out around October and May. but that's just a guess from me.

Anje
November 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Could definitely be a seasonal shed. I went through a small one a few weeks ago, and since I'm north of you, it wouldn't be surprising if you were coming up on one now. (That is, if these things are temperature-related. I'm not really sure what triggers seasonal shedding.)

Give it a few weeks before you start worrying that your products are causing problems or changing anything. If it's seasonal, it'll probably go away pretty quickly.

jera
November 17th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry I have no experience with this, but it may be just a seasonal shed, I'm sure someone else has more to offer. :grouphug: :flower:

I second this. My hair is more susceptible in Autumn too. :o

florenonite
November 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Could be seasonal, as others have stated. Also, are you washing less frequently now than you used to? I've recently started washing every 4 days rather than every 2 and the amount of hair that I pull out before having a shower is phenomenal! The rubbish bin in my bedroom looks like a small animal died in it. I'm not shedding more, it's just that I'm removing the shed hair less frequently, so when I pull it out I pull a lot out.

IMO the best way to judge whether or not your shedding is problematic is to measure your circumference. Do it in millimetres so you'll notice smaller changes, but that said don't worry if it's smaller one time than it was previously. It's only if you notice a downward trend that you need to worry. The other thing to bear in mind with measuring circumference is to do it at the same level of dirtiness. Either measure clean hair or dirty hair, because when it's dirty it compresses more.

hennared
November 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
It could be hormonal, if this is quite unusual for you. (ie - a seasonal shed is something you probably would have already experienced, if you are prone to that). You are about my age, and I started shedding gobs a good while ago (it has finally slowed down on it's own). If it continues, you might want to get some bloodwork done...

spidermom
November 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
It sounds like completely normal shed. Hair grows, stops growing, and sheds out. Then a new hair grows. It happens every single day. Take care of your health as best you can and your hair will do fine, most likely.

Carolyn
November 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
MSM is supposed to help with shedding. I believe it supposed to prolong the life span of each hair. Or something like that. My guess is seasonal shedding too.

YoginiCelestial
November 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm also hoping it's just seasonal. I would hate to lose much more.
Since no one thinks it's the MSM or Biotin, I'll continue to use them.
One thing positive that I have noticed is that since taking the Biotin for 2 weeks I have lost a few pounds! YAY! Was 134-136 and now just under 130.

Em_Faye
November 18th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Hey~
I'm a newbie to the whole posting thing, but I've been checking on here for hairdos for about two years. I finally joined recently so that I could ask the same question: why am I shedding healthy hair now...just after I started taking MSM and Biotin about a month ago!?
Thankfully, my panicked breathing has evened out, for two reasons: (A) I am not alone! (B) Nobody thinks that there is a connection between our supliments and our shedding. Whew! YAY!
Thanks so much for starting this thread!

florenonite
November 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I had another thought that I didn't mention before: when people join LHC, they tend to start paying more attention to their hair. This often manifests itself as noticing shed hair more than previously and therefore thinking more has been shed. I'm not saying it's just in your head, but that a slightly increase in shedding probably looks like a bigger increase because you're more apt to noticing shed hairs these days :)

YoginiCelestial
November 18th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I had another thought that I didn't mention before: when people join LHC, they tend to start paying more attention to their hair. This often manifests itself as noticing shed hair more than previously and therefore thinking more has been shed. I'm not saying it's just in your head, but that a slightly increase in shedding probably looks like a bigger increase because you're more apt to noticing shed hairs these days :)

Hi florenonite, yep I was thinking that same thing. You're probably right.
However, since I did just start taking the MSM and Biotin supplements, it seemed very co-incidental. I am going to continue taking them and I'm hoping that this phase will quickly pass.

Hello to Em_Faye, welcome to LHC!
sorry to hear that you are having the same problem as me.

Tressie
November 18th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I find stray hairs everywhere and even did when I was a long haired teen. Now I am shedding a lot, seemingly, but my hair is longer than it ever has been too.

I agree with spidermom, it doesn't sound excessive, just normal hair cycle shedding! I hope that's all it is. Try not to obssess! I will too! (o: