PDA

View Full Version : anybody here use coconut oil instead of condish?

jojo
November 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I did a diluted poo today and just used coconut oil on my wet hair instead of using any conditioner?

My hair feels ok but not as soft, I may have gone a little overboard with the oil, but is this ok to do? is there an adjustment period as with other methods?

I CO well have done for the past few weeks but on poo days I may try this again but with less oil next time.

Anybody else do this? TIA

Honey39
November 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have to use both for it to work, Jojo - I CO wash, then add leave-in conditioner, and then add coconut oil on top of that. That gives me great results, very soft and conditioned. I think oil doesn't do much for me on its own.

DMARTINEZ
November 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I add it to a leave-in and then thin that out some with a bit of water.I find this
distributes better through my hair! Plain coconut oil would never glide through my
hair with out additives! ;)

Deb

Nevermore
November 17th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I do. Coconut oil is really easy to overuse (not in the sense that it harms your hair, just in the sense that it's easy to wind up with greasy hair). I melt some on my hands, rub them together, then scrunch it into my hair. My hair is always nicer with oil than with conditioner.

florenonite
November 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I do. You and I have similar hairtypes (fine and not curly) and this is a hairtype that generally needs less moisture than others because it absorbs moisture more readily.

I use a mild shampoo (bars), but in the past I've mixed shampoo and conditioner together to wash my scalp and didn't apply conditioner to the length. I actually never used conditioner before finding LHC, because I figured my hair wasn't tangly so I didn't need it (I also wondered why it was called conditioner when people used it as detangler :lol:) and AFAIK my hair didn't suffer.

jojo
November 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Thank you for all your replies, i guess its a case of less is more! My hair looks greasy tonight, my hair as a rule likes moisture and lots of it but theres such thing as over doing a good thing!

I will try again on wednesday!

nowxisxforever
November 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
You should be really light on the oil, but yes, I do this periodically with either coconut or jojoba. Conditioners don't do a whole heck of a lot for me honestly, oils always do better!!

Katurday
November 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
My hair is ridiculously easy to over condition.
Thus, oils (coconut included) are out of the question.
In fact, I do fine with my light Suave conditioner...
Except on the ends. I swear I could drown those in
conditioners, cones, oils, what have you, they are so
dry and crispy, only the strong stuff leaves an impact.

(Time for a trim -sigh- )

jojo
November 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM
My hair likes both oil and conditioner which is kind of strange as my hair I would class as normal, not greasy or dry, the ends feel the same as the top bits, yet it loves (normally) over dosing on moisture!

Yes I will try a teeny bit of oil next time and see how it pans out, cheers!

florenonite
November 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I actually find my hair works really well with deep oilings before a wash, and then not washing the length. The suds from the scalp wash the length adequately without drying it out. After this I often don't even have to oil after the wash!

jojo
November 18th, 2009, 07:38 AM
My hair is fine without oil after a condish, but I prefer to put coconut lightly on the last 4" to protect it from the bad weather were experiencing, in al honestly I think i am getting a little addicted to oils!