PDA

View Full Version : I need moisture!

sherigayle
November 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM
With the dry air, I need some major moisture. I already CO, use a leave-in, oil wet hair, and use aloe gel, but my hair still feels dry on the ends and at the nape of my neck. My scalp is dry too. I've been trying an oil treatment with a heat cap once a week and I really like it, it just doesn't last long. After a couple of days, I'm feeling dry again. I have curly hair and it would curl more if it had more moisture, especially at the nape of my neck. That hair seems to be really frizzy most of the time.

So please, help me find some more moisture!

I'm considering laying with my head over the edge of the bed and letting the humidifier blow through my hair. :p

halo_tightens
November 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Have you tried the famous SMT? It's a lifesaver!!!

jojo
November 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
or daily oils from the ears down? even putting a little of your regular conditioner after as a leave in works well.

amaiaisabella
November 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM
What about damp bunning? That helped keep in needed moisture for me when I had longer hair.

Carolyn
November 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I second the SMT suggestion. I often add a few drops of oil to my SMT mix. Also heavy oiling your entire length and scalp the night before you wash. Lightly oil your ends and damp bunning is great too. It all adds up.

Anje
November 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Thirding the SMT. I haven't found anything like it for massive moisture!

LilyMunster
November 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Exactly what Carolyn said.
I also add vegetable glycerine with fine results.

Clarisse
November 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Fabric softener makes my hair a lot less frizzy, gives it a lot of moisture and defines my curls. I know that it contains som weird chemicals and such, but I can't fight the temptation :P I never use shampoo on my length, as my hair doesn't get oily from ears and down.
Drying my hair in an updo or letting it dry inside a towel makes it softer and locks in some moisture too, though it is a temporary fix that won't last more than a day.
[:)]

prittykitty
November 17th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I oil my hair when it is dry. It seems that the oil penetrates better this way. I have tried oiling my hair when it was damp but it didn't seem to do as well as when I oiled it when dry. If you pour oil on a wet cloth it won't soak in but pour it on a dry cloth and it soaks it up. This makes sense and I feel hair is the same way. I also use a leave in conditioner along with a regular one. I also have very dry hair but mine is curly and frizzy too.

jera
November 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm considering laying with my head over the edge of the bed and letting the humidifier blow through my hair. :p

Actually this is a good idea and will keep both hair and skin hydrated in cold climates and temps in the winter time when the air dries out. :D

For those who can afford it, I've heard good things about keratin infusion treatments.Not the Brazilian kind). But, they're very expensive.

MsBubbles
November 17th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I fourth SMT! Also the damp bunning is a great idea...especially if you accidentally sprayed too much oil onto your ends and they're all stringy and you can't really wear your hair down until you wash it out.

Otherwise I'll be checking back here for more ideas that don't involve leave-ins or oily sprays :).

jojo
November 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Body shop does a curl boost cream which is brilliant too, even if your hair isnt curly.

Ive ordered some chi infusion serum one of spidermoms reccomendations, its cheaper off ebay, still waiting for it to come but SM says its very good, thats good enough for me!

RoseRedDead
November 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I say damp bun it.

SMTs never worked for me. I think it was because of the aloe. It either just cleaned it or even dried it out.

Ash
November 17th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I agree with everyone else who said damp bunning. Perhaps you could do a final rinse with distilled water when you wash your hair to get the chemicals out? That makes a big difference for my hair.

I would not recommend oiling dry hair, that will lock out the moisture. While it works for some members, I believe you are better off oiling as you are (oiling dry hair almost ruined my hair). I don't know what oil you are using, perhaps you could experiment with different ones? From my experience, coconut oil worked great for a few years and then my hair began reacting badly to it, becoming very dry and tangled. I switched back to jojoba oil for post shower light oilings and walnut and avocado for a once weekly heavy overnight oiling.

Aloe seems to be another thing that works very well for some and badly for others. I do not have any personal experience here, if you are not seeing a clear benefit from using it, perhaps you could stop for a while and see if it makes a difference?

If you use a chemical conditioner, perhaps you could try a more natural conditioner for CO? I can recommend Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Remoisturizer or Kiss My Face MissTreated, hopefully others will have recommendations as well.

I do the humidifier thing sometimes. It helps a little. :)

Elphie
November 17th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I am loving Garnier Nutrisses Triple Nutrition Conditioner and their deep treatment as well. Both are conefree but the DT contains mineral oil.