PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating Bangs

KajiKodomo
November 17th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I am thinking about bangs. I had them from childhood until Freshman year of high school. I also had bangs briefly after what I refer to as the "hair dye incident." I had some pink streaks in the front of my hair, and my hair ended up breaking off/getting all mushy and falling out at a bit short of bang length, so I had short bangs until I decided to just buzz it all off.

This time, I'm thinking of something more soft, with a thinner section of hair and longish bangs.

Sort of like this:

http://worldhairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/8e36c74b0b95c32eef56c11c44fb51df.jpg

or this:

http://worldhairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/b398b4d7c715cb43802e70f161a804d1.jpg

I like the softness bangs add to updos (and my hair is super thick, so it'll probably make updos easier, since I'll have less thickness in the back, haha! :D).

Here's a picture of me.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?u=240&dateline=1257295908&type=profile
Please ignore the MySpace-ey picture, haha!

Opinions? Would bangs suit me or not in your opinion? Thanks in advance! :cheese:

RecklessCharlie
November 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I just cut bangs a few days ago and I love them.
Fun thing about them is that you can always pull them back in
some flattering style if you want them out of your face.

Perhaps you should try on a wig that has bangs to get an
accurate assessment. However, if you've already had bangs in the past then you probably know how they'd work for you.

Good luck whichever style you choose!

detritus
November 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I think you shouldn't cut them. You have a roundish face, and cutting bangs that lay straight across like that visually cut your face in half and can make it appear wider. The focal point of your face is also whatever lays about in the center between the bottom of your bangs or hairline and your chin. Right now, that's your eyes--and you have very pretty eyes. With the type of bangs you are looking at, it will pull attention away from your eyes and onto your nose.

If you really want bangs, I think side-swept bangs could look really nice. They don't visually cut your face up in quite the same way.

spidermom
November 17th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I think you shouldn't cut them. You have a roundish face, and cutting bangs that lay straight across like that visually cut your face in half and can make it appear wider.

I was going to say something like this.

amaiaisabella
November 17th, 2009, 11:44 AM
You have a small forehead (lucky thing- I'm envious! I've got a forehead a mile wide) so you don't necessarily need bangs, but what about taking some front pieces and pinning them sideways across your face for a few days to test out whether you like them? I used to do that when I didn't have bangs, and liked it so much I cut them in :)

KajiKodomo
November 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone!

I'm not too concerned about making my face look rounder, but then again I've never been one to follow "rules" about slimming any part of my body, haha. :D

I think I might try what amaiaisabella suggested with pinning hair to sort of look like bangs. I was thinking of thin blunt bangs since I've never been a big fan of sideswept bangs on myself. My hair is wavy/thick/stubborn enough that it would all bunch together and it would all look the same length, so it would look basically the same as if I just parted my hair on the side, haha.

I'll play around when I get home and see what it looks like.

Thanks again for the suggestions/comments! :D

sherigayle
November 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I think just a few wisps of hair around your face would be cute. It'll add the softness you're looking for without being too heavy. You've got beautiful eyes, you wouldn't want to hide them behind bangs.

shockinglength
November 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I think you shouldn't cut them. You have a roundish face, and cutting bangs that lay straight across like that visually cut your face in half and can make it appear wider. The focal point of your face is also whatever lays about in the center between the bottom of your bangs or hairline and your chin. Right now, that's your eyes--and you have very pretty eyes. With the type of bangs you are looking at, it will pull attention away from your eyes and onto your nose.

If you really want bangs, I think side-swept bangs could look really nice. They don't visually cut your face up in quite the same way.

I think these bangs youd really suite you. Since you face is round haing all one length hair mkes it look rounder to me. IMO I think you should get them. =D

JamieRose
November 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I agree with the side swept bangs suggestion. That way they're long enough to be pulled back easily. I had bangs similiar to the ones in the first picture you posted, and they always annoyed the crap out of me when I would run or do anything active. I think side swept would be very flattering to your face, as well.

SHELIAANN1969
November 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM
KK, I just had to tell you, I took the page and scrolled to the point where your bridge of your nose is, your eyes are just gorgeous, the makeup and your eyes are stunning! (your whole face is beautiful, I am just sayin' your eyes, your EYES!!!) :blossom:

embee
November 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Before you cut them, think about the pain of growing them out when you get tired of them! ;)

They'd be cute, though.

KajiKodomo
November 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks!

Thanks so much SHELIAANN! My eyes have always been my favorite feature! :D

23_seconds
November 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
||||||||||

KajiKodomo
November 17th, 2009, 02:35 PM
When my hair gets longer, I tend to cut in a few "face-framing" layers just in the front, similar to grown out bangs, so it might just end up saving me a step down the road if I decide to grow them out, haha! :D

prittykitty
November 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I like the bangs in the second picture. The longer cut ones look like they would look best on you. If not you can always cut them like the first picture is.

KajiKodomo
November 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Good idea. If I decide to cut them in I'll leave them longer (almost in my eyes) to begin with and trim back from there. :D

SurprisingWoman
November 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I really enjoyed bangs when I had them but after letting them grow out I don't want to go back. I like not having to fuss with any part of my hair when I put it up because it's dirty.

I say go for it. You are still growing, you are young and your hair if fabulous. Why not? What is being young for if not trying things?

But, do NOT cover your eyes. They are amazing!

Nocturnal
November 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Is your hair short right now? You could cut "face framing layers" on the sides of the bangs about at a jaw level so that your face won't appear wider with bangs. Something like this minus the thickness of the bangs:
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/startracks/071015/kelly_osbourne2.jpg
I hope I'm not violating hot-linking rules.

Or cut side-swept bangs.

melikai
November 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
My first thought was that they wouldn't be a good idea because of the roundness of your face, but then when I held up imaginary "bangs" with my fingers, I thought they might look rather cute, and go with your whole look, so to speak.

Hmm I'm not much help. Have you tried trying some on on Taaz, by the way?

Olivia23
November 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Do whatever you want it's up to you anyway:). I'm just jealous because I have such a high forehead I have to wear bangs or I will look a lot older if I don't.

turtlelover
November 17th, 2009, 08:52 PM
My face is round, but I still much prefer having bangs. It seemed to soften my facial features, plus I have some lines on my forehead that I hate. I say go for it, but make them thin, wispy bangs, not thick bangs.

JCFantasy23
November 17th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I love wisps or long barely there bangs. That's the long I aim for most of the time. Can be very flattering. I would say go for it.

julliams
November 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I actually think that a thick blunt fringe (that's what we call it here in Oz) would look great on you and work with your look. Just my opinion and I really like that look personally so I'm a little biased.

Juliette

KajiKodomo
November 18th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Okay, I went home and played around with a few pieces of hair and decided to go for it! I really like the result, although this isn't the best picture. My hair is still a bit wet, and my makeup is weird.

My mom told me that I look very different, haha! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2694&pictureid=55634

ETA: With bangs, I'll have a goal that I can achieve sooner! All-virgin bangs! :D

rapunzhell13
November 18th, 2009, 07:34 AM
You look even more adorable! :D

KajiKodomo
November 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks! :D I'm afraid that I look a bit younger, which is a problem considering I'm already mistaken for a student all the time (I work as a secretary with a University). :)

Akiko
November 18th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Ooooo! I like! Pretty! Somehow your new bangs accentuate your beautiful eyes. Great job. :)

Lori
November 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I'm glad you like your new bangs!

Every time I make bangs I hate it on me and end up just shoving them back into the rest of my hair off my face until they grow out. For some reason though every so often I contemplate cutting bangs again for whatever reason. I have bang-envy I guess:p

melikai
November 18th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I really like them - great job!
You do look a bit younger, but that isn't always a bad thing. :)

KajiKodomo
November 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks everyone! Now I just have to get used to having hair on my forehead! I keep wanting to brush it all away! :D

hmmm
November 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I love it! You're gorgeous!

JamieLeigh
November 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I like option number 2! I think bangs would look very cute with the shape of your face, and the longer ones would really suit your eyes well. And nice eye makeup in the photo of you! :D

Gypsygirl
November 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Wow, they look great on you! Of course I'm partial to bangs...but I think they really, really suit you! :)

KajiKodomo
November 18th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone! :D I've gotten a few compliments today from my coworkers, including one who was VERY surprised that I cut my own hair, haha! :D

pinchbeck
November 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Since you suit wearing bangs and not wearing bangs it is fun to have different looks and have a change sometimes. With bangs you look more polished.

amaiaisabella
November 18th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I love it, and I'm glad you're enjoying them so much! I swear I like my bangs more than my hair right now :D (my hair is still super short like yours, and mine won't do the cute bob thing!)

kimannabella
November 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I love fringes of all kinds. The best thing is you can mess with them more than your length, and in a month or two even if you ended up getting an awfully unflattering style they will be grown out again.

KajiKodomo
November 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks! :D

I was getting antsy about my hair (it happens to me WAY too much), but I'm really committed to growing my hair out, so I needed to do something that wouldn't harm the health of my hair in any way!

I'm glad I did it because I now have more than one way I can wear them (pulled back, down, parted down the middle, or brushed to one side), so it gives me something to keep from getting stale. :D

shortgoinglong
November 19th, 2009, 01:44 PM
All I have to say is please make sure you want bangs. I cut straight bangs and they are a pain to grow out!