PDA

View Full Version : Straightening once a month to check growth?

julliams
November 17th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I used to straighten my hair once or twice a week using a ceramic straightener. I was also using cones at the time which I suspect may have been acting as a protector???.

Since I have gone cone free I am a little worried about using the straightener on my hair so I have basically just stopped using heat altogether.

I am currently trying to work out how fast my hair grows and am taking a photo once a month whilst wearing a striped shirt. I notice that my hair can be long one day and short the next depending on how curly my hair decides to be that day. So... I was wondering if I should perhaps straighten just for the next 6 months to determine my growth rate or... just take the darn photo with hair as is and realise that it's going to do what it does regardless of whether I know it's 1 cm or 1 inch a month or not.

I know I'm being a bit pedantic but I would love to know my growth rate and I find I get a different reading each time if I use a tape measure.

Juliette

jivete
November 17th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I have a similar problem and I find it very frustrating. When I do measure (which I try to avoid), it's most consistent if I measure wet and combed straight. You don't have to worry about heat damage that way.

camirra555
November 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I'd recommend just using a measuring tape. That's what I do. I hold it where my hairline meets my forehead and my boyfriend stretches out my hair and measures it. This saves you from unnecessary heat damage just to check length.

The measuring tape is definitely accurate and it helps if there is someone to help you. Each month I measure in with an additional half inch.

I know it's frustrating sometimes being a curly or wurly and having to deal with shrinkage

misspriss
November 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
When I take photos for growth, I do it dripping wet. My hair is straight then. But I don't really measure/record growth either. I just look at it, it looks longer than it did a few months ago. I remember when the front layers barely reached 'nip' level. Now they cover the girls entirely. I remember when the back barely touched the bra strap, now they are well below it. Just my personal feeling with my hair. I have no idea how much it grows from month to month.

I occasionally straighten to see growth though, but more every 3-6 months. I do use 'cones when I straighten, since I CWC sometimes I don't have a problem with occasional 'cone usage. I really just do whatever I want with it, it's my hair and it's for my personal enjoyment. If that means ironing it every now and then, I do it. It doesn't do me any good to grow my hair out and just be so paranoid about damage that I don't get to enjoy wearing it down, straightening it, coloring it, just enjoy it.

I don't think it would hurt your hair too badly to straighten it every now and then if that is what you want to do.

Shermie Girl
November 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Yipes! Flat irons are just death you your lovely tresses. And cones don't really do anything to protect your hair from the searing heat. They just make your hair slick so that the iron doesn't stick. If you want your hair straight for measuring and pictures, a good blow dry; combing it gently with a wide tooth comb then finishing with a paddle brush should make it quite straight and polished. And, if the dryer is on medium or low (no hotter than what is comfortable on the skin on your face) it is far, far less damaging to your hair than clamping a blazing hot flat iron on it. :)

Keildra
November 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I have a lot of curl to so my dry length changes from day to day so I measure and photograph wet and combed straight makes things more consistent

RancheroTheBee
November 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I used to do that, but I realized it was a lot better just to measure wet, or to stretch my hair when measuring to get an accurate reading. I also measure from two locks of hair near my ears; I have photos of which locks I'm measuring so I don't get inaccurate measurements. Works for me.

You can, however, iron if you want to. But if you're doing it to oversee growth, have you considered doing it every two months?

Heidi_234
November 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
After seeing what the flat iron did to my bangs (the ends are totaled, I can barely stand them and they snagginess and velcro-ness!) I wouldn't bring it anywhere near my hair ever again.

My curls can make my length vary too, so when I take a length shot I take one of the longest strands and stretch it. Taking a picture while it's wet can do too (but not very represent your hair-state), and trying to air dry your hair in a wrap to make it straight is damage and guilt free.

florenonite
November 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I've got almost straight hair and I get mega-shrinkage! I stretch my hair to measure because otherwise I'll end up at the same length for months!

Quixii
November 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I measure dripping wet, brushed, and pulled straight. No heat touches my hair, except for the sun. =)

Buddaphlyy
November 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I straighten my hair every 2 weeks (not to measure length, just because I want to) and I am not having problems. As long as you take the right precautions and use the right products before during and after the application of heat, you should be fine.