PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying Question

julliams
November 17th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I posted on another thread asking about the need to clarify even if I don't use cones and a member nicely pointed out that I do (thanks Eric :) )

I was wondering if anyone can suggest what I can use to clarify my hair, how to do it and how often I should do this. I'm not really interested in using a clarifying shampoo as I figure they will just have SLS in them. Does Baking Soda work and how?

I had cleared up an itchy scalp that I have had most of my life and just yesterday I noticed that it was getting itchy again so I am wondering if I have some build up????

Thanks in advance,
Juliette

Carolyn
November 17th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I personally think a commercial clarifying shampoo does the best job of getting the gunk off my hair. I've added baking soda to a regular shampoo before and didn't care much for the results. I felt it was very harsh and dried my hair out more than the real clarifying poo. Unless you have a severe allergy to SLS ingredients why would it hurt to use it occasionally?

I clarify on an "as needed" basis not on a time schedule. When my hair gets that gunky coated feeling I break out one of my clarifying shampoos and do a full length wash followed by a nice heavy moisturing conditioner. Clarifying is stripping the moisture out of the hair so it needs to be put back. SMT is ideal for that.

Anje
November 17th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Like Carolyn said, the alternative is to mix baking soda into regular shampoo. I wouldn't recommend doing this with an ALS shampoo because the smell was horrible the one and only time I did.

If you go the baking soda route, be prepared for your hair to feel really nasty afterward, and deep condition it well.

Personally, I think the SLS clarifying shampoo method is much easier on my hair.

I'm also not sure that having an itchy scalp is a good indicator that you need to clarify. Having gunky hair or tangly ends is usually a more reliable indicator. But your scalp may need a good scrub, moisturization, or change of products.

ladycatpurrs
November 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Is there any brand that is better for clarifying? I am using Neutrogena for now but am looking around for another product.

young&reckless
November 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I like Herbal Essences Drama Clean to Clarify. It works really well for me without drying my hair or head out.

julliams
November 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I have that Drama Clean at home as my daughter uses it. I checked and it doesn't specifically say that it is a Clarifying shampoo so I was wondering what makes it Clarifying and if it needs to say that it is. I noticed that on the back it says "clean hair without all the gunk" so maybe that means it clarifies???

fisher2
November 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM
i use pantene clairifying and its rather nice but if you dont like that id suggest a acv rinse

kmangus
November 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I dont use cones...and when i clarify i use baking soda mixed with suave shampoo. Im not sure why it works....and im too lazy to google it right now. :) But i have to remember to use lots of condish afterwards otherwise i end up with frizzies and dry hair :)

DrkAngel
November 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I believe EDTA is a clarifying agent (correct me if I'm wrong).

EDTA (Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetic Acid) - A sequestering (chelating) agent with unique properties of "neutralizing" trace metals (like calcium, iron and magnesium salts, etc.) and other deposits on hair.

I CO and I avoid cones at all costs (my hair is too fine to tolerate them) and I absolutely love VO5 Herbal Escapes Kiwi Lime Clarfying Conditioner. I rarely use the same conditioner everyday but this one I use very often to CO wash, it cleans very well and detangles like no other.

Every two or three months or just when I feel like I need it, I do use some sulfate-free shampoo. I particularly like Shikai Color Reflect Shampoo, Warm. It has henna on it, no noticeable dye-release that I have notived, and leaves my hair feeling incredibly soft and naked clean. And it does NOT contain sulfates.

Anje
November 17th, 2009, 08:50 PM
No, EDTA isn't clarifying, it's chelating. As your description says, it binds to certain ions that might be bound to hair, particularly positively charged metal ions. Very good for removing buildup from hard water, swimming pools, lots of salt, and the like, but not effective at removing the built-up silicones and waxes that need to be removed when you need to clarify. For that, you usually want a detergent or something similar. I'm not sure why baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, for the non-USians) works, but it's often a good cleaning agent. I wouldn't be surprised if borax could also be used to clarify, but don't hold me to that speculation.

For clarifying, I've been using a bottle of Kiwi Lime Squeeze shampoo. (The conditioner isn't clarifying, just meant to go with the clarifying shampoo, but it probably has minimal ingredients that'll build up.) The Suave daily clarifying shampoo's also supposed to be decent. In either case, bottles of shampoo last me for years, because I only tend to use them once ever couple months.

Ally<3
November 17th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I use Malibu2000 Un Do Goo (cute name) and it works amazingly well. My hair is so soft after using it, so clean. Oh and NO sulfates. Yay!