PDA

View Full Version : Change in texture: stress induced?

Gemma
April 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Here's the deal: I have thick, wavy hair that tends to frizz. Even when it's in tip-top condition and wonderfully soft, I still have a light halo of frizzy hair. I use 'poo bars, SLS, cone, and paraben free conditioners, and coconut oil. I wash my hair every 2-4 days.

I haven't changed anything about my routine for months.

But, suddenly, my hair is just not happy. I went through an increased shedding period, and now my hair feels dry and is much more frizzy than usual. I did a few SMTs as they've worked before. Nothing. Did a protein treatment. No change. I've started doing CWC, which has helped a little but not dramatically. I was careful to leave at least a week between each treatment so as not to overload my hair.

I've been using so much coconut oil in a bid to tame my hair lately that I've been washing more than usual, which probably isn't helping.

I honestly have no idea what is going on, and it's very frustrating. The only thing I can think of is that stress has affected my hair from the inside out. That's possible, right? I've had a lot of negative things happen all at once in the past few months, and I definitely wasn't taking care of myself for a while. I'm pretty sure the stress is what caused all the shedding (which has eased off now, thank goodness!).

Does anyone have any advice in regards to treatments I might try to get my soft hair back? Or maybe just reassurances that stress isn't going to make my hair frizzy and dry like this forever? Anyone else suffer from a sudden texture change?

I need to henna again in the next few weeks, which might help, but I'd like to try something sooner if possible. I miss my soft hair. :(

Here are some pics for reference. My hair looks much worse in person. The camera flash hides a multitude of sins when it comes to my hair! This is the frizz even after using coconut oil and aloe, btw.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_0781.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_0776.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_0778.jpg

The main problem, though, is how dry and rough it feels to the touch.

foxym
April 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Just a suggestion but could it be the coconut oil, I'm saying this because the first few times I used it it did wonders for my hair (I have the same thick frizzy hair) but I started to notice that after using it my hair was very dry feeling, especially if I put it on dry hair so I have stopped and hair has returned to normal!!:shrug:

Gemma
April 23rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Just a suggestion but could it be the coconut oil, I'm saying this because the first few times I used it it did wonders for my hair (I have the same thick frizzy hair) but I started to notice that after using it my hair was very dry feeling, especially if I put it on dry hair so I have stopped and hair has returned to normal!!:shrug:

Huh. I never even considered that. #^_^# Thanks! I'll go a week without it and see what happens.

Eireann
April 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Everyone's hair is different, but I find henna to be very drying. I stopped using it years ago, and my hair is much softer and shinier now, even though I use commercial hair color.:twocents::twocents:

Riot Crrl
April 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
I see potential of a lot more than 2a there. This could be way off base, but here is my crackpot theory:

You are a secret curly girl in need of moisture and conditioner. Have you ever tried CO? Or maybe just reducing the shampoo bars and CO some of the time? CO will get out plant oils, I promise.

lora410
April 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Could also be hormonal if it turns out not to be coconut oil.

mommy2one05
April 23rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
I have alot of these same problems and they are extremely frustrating. very dry and extremely frizzy ( and the warmer weather this week has not helped)....so until my hair gets some more moisture back in and I find a miracle frizz solution then I am gonna wear a braid alot ( or updo when hair cooperates)...my husband says it isn't that frizzy and it does not look bad but he is obligated to say nice things right .... :)

sandrak
April 24th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I know what you mean about dry feeling and frizz. I was using CV bars, but for some reason that stopped working. Then I found Alaffia products and oh my goodness. After one wash and cond. my hair changed. My hair has calmed down and feels so soft. I hope it continues to work. You can find the products at www.alaffia.com

Katze
April 24th, 2008, 02:38 AM
As a 2a - ish, I also have tons of frizz, baby hairs, halo, basically, super messy hair, and the *only* thing that really works is hair gel. And 'cones.

The pic you posted of your roots reminds me a lot of my hair, but the length pic looks like you have a lot more curl going on. That, and iii thickness hair, i can imagine it being temperamental! :flower"

I'm going to second RiotCrrrl - maybe your hair is curlier than you think? What happens if you occasionally WO wash - like between your CWC washings? What about oil or misting?

If you are stressed, and your hair is bothering you, maybe take a step back and do *less*instead of more?

Sorry I can't be more constructive, but I sympathize!

Katze

Lize
April 24th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Maybe it's the weather? Maybe it's more humid or something.. causing the hair to frizz more. Just a theory. :)

Gemma
April 24th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Everyone's hair is different, but I find henna to be very drying. I stopped using it years ago, and my hair is much softer and shinier now, even though I use commercial hair color.

My hair loves henna. It always feel especially soft after a fresh henna, and has blinding shine. Chemical dyes, however, have the opposite effect for me! :)

I see potential of a lot more than 2a there. This could be way off base, but here is my crackpot theory:

You are a secret curly girl in need of moisture and conditioner. Have you ever tried CO? Or maybe just reducing the shampoo bars and CO some of the time? CO will get out plant oils, I promise.

I like your theory! I'd love to be a curly girl. ;) I've actually been considering going CO since this started because the CWC has caused some improvement, and my hair feels so clean after the first round of conditioner that the shampoo does seem a bit unnecessary.

Could also be hormonal if it turns out not to be coconut oil.

Good point. My hormones tend to go wacky when I'm really stressed, and I've definitely noticed some wackiness lately (lateness of my monthly visitors, skin breakouts, etc). I also forgot for a while to take my Evening Primrose oil supplement, which helps with that, so I guess I'd better get back into the habit of taking it.

I have alot of these same problems and they are extremely frustrating. very dry and extremely frizzy ( and the warmer weather this week has not helped)....so until my hair gets some more moisture back in and I find a miracle frizz solution then I am gonna wear a braid alot ( or updo when hair cooperates)...my husband says it isn't that frizzy and it does not look bad but he is obligated to say nice things right ....

I've been braiding pretty much non-stop, too! Looking at your sig pic, I have to agree with your husband. ;) Your hair looks great!

I know what you mean about dry feeling and frizz. I was using CV bars, but for some reason that stopped working. Then I found Alaffia products and oh my goodness. After one wash and cond. my hair changed. My hair has calmed down and feels so soft. I hope it continues to work. You can find the products at www.alaffia.com

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check those products out.

As a 2a - ish, I also have tons of frizz, baby hairs, halo, basically, super messy hair, and the *only* thing that really works is hair gel. And 'cones.

The pic you posted of your roots reminds me a lot of my hair, but the length pic looks like you have a lot more curl going on. That, and iii thickness hair, i can imagine it being temperamental! :flower"

I'm going to second RiotCrrrl - maybe your hair is curlier than you think? What happens if you occasionally WO wash - like between your CWC washings? What about oil or misting?

If you are stressed, and your hair is bothering you, maybe take a step back and do *less*instead of more?

Sorry I can't be more constructive, but I sympathize!

Katze

Thanks for the suggestions, Katze! :flower: I don't use cones because they weigh my hair down and make my roots really greasy, but I haven't tried using hair gel since my hair was very short. It's definitely worth a try. Plus, I had problems with cones when I was using a shampoo, conditioner, and hair treatment that all contained cones. Maybe trying some kind of anti-frizz product (with cones) might not be such a bad idea? It might just be that I need a small amount of cones to get my hair to behave.

I've tried misting, which sometimes makes the frizz worse, and I oil quite regularly, which was working really well until recently (so maybe it really is the coconut oil that's part of the problem here). I definitely think I'm going to give CO a try, and maybe WO after that if there's no real change. I could just save my shampoo for Saturdays when I swim.

I think I will take your advice, too, Katze about doing less for a while! Putting my hair up and just forgetting about it sounds like a nice idea. :)

Maybe it's the weather? Maybe it's more humid or something.. causing the hair to frizz more. Just a theory.

The weather has been ALL over the place! xD We had snow a few weeks ago, then tons of rain, and now nice, mild weather. I have been wondering, though, if the fact that I'm running a few times a week now, and making my hair get damp/wet so often might be contributing to the frizz.

Well, I have lots of ideas now, thanks to you all! I'm going to put my hair up and not fret for a while, and then try CO for the next few weeks. :)