PDA

View Full Version : is there a term for this--reverse of scalp wash?

piratejenny23
November 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Lately I have been able to stretch my "wash cycle" to every 4 or 5 days, and I have been doing CO since Oct 20. My scalp is SO happy!

However, my ends tend to feel a bit rough even 24 hours after a wash, and I only oil the night before a wash, so I'm thinking of just conditioning the ends--maybe even every day when I shower. I think I'll put on a shower cap, divide my hair and bring it over my shoulders, then wet and condition. My hope is that after a few weeks of this my ends will stay softer/moisturized longer. I often put off washing my hair because (a) it takes forever to dry, & (b) I don't want to mess with my scalp any more than necessary. So wet & condition ends could be a solution. It never really occurred to me to try this before, because I always "had" to wash my hair every 2nd or 3rd day.

(btw I am very gentle with my hair; no blowdrying or curling, & I don't even brush my hair every day. I have been using avocado oil on the ends lately, but there's been no significant improvement yet)

What is this called? If there are already threads on this, I apologize, but it's hard to search when you don't know what it's called! I have read lots & lots about everyone's hair care routine but don't recall coming across a handy phrase. Thanks!

Gumball
November 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I would just call it washing your length. :)

misstwist
November 17th, 2009, 07:35 AM
If my ends are being an especial pain, I will sometimes take down my bun toward the end of the shower and put a little conditioner in the ends without rinsing it out. I don't get the ends wet first, just however damp they are from contact with my skin and the overspray from the shower.

I use White Rain Tropical Coconut.

piratejenny23
November 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM
if i put conditioner on dry hair--either as a leave-in or as a deep conditioning treatment--it doesn't seem to do anything. as i read more people's stories here on LHC, it seems some hair actually likes water...?

i did the shower cap thing last night, then wrapped the top half of my ponytails in plastic bags, and conditioned the bottom 7 or 8 inches. worked really nicely...soft ends, no all-over frizzies or halo :p

jivete
November 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have a similar problem. I think the damaged length tends to lose moisture over the course of the day. I've been using Argan oil with good success, but misting the length also helps.

piratejenny23
November 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM
cool...what do you mist with?

chrissy-b
November 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM
My ends get terribly dry when I try to stretch out my washes. Like jivete, misting helps me. I mix water with a little Giovanni leave-in. If I don't wash my hair that day, I mist the ends and put it up. On particularly dry days, I mist heavily and then add a little oil or Honeysuckle rose conditioner. That really helps soften my dry ends.