PDA

View Full Version : Mourning my lost three inches but happy too

Curlsgirl
November 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I finally went to Great Clips and had her cut my hair even across the back like I have wanted for quite a while. The sides were quite a "U-shape" and the ends were thin and split. It really needed to go. I am now loving the ends and how they look and feel but am sad to lose the inches too. Just wanted to hear others thoughts about it. It's a love-hate thing.:o

Quixii
November 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'm sure we all know how that goes. :grouphug:

~M Rose
November 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I know how you feel! Right after my wedding in August I cut off three inches to get rid of the damage inflicted from having my hair put up in several trial runs and final updo for the big day. It is hard to get used to that missing length but it grows back!:)

spidermom
November 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
You did this after your "waist curly" photograph? Ack! I miss your length, too. But that's o.k., cutting back is often followed by what seems to be fast growth, although I'm sure it just seems fast because it's not breaking off. Anyway. Grow on! And enjoy those fresh ends. I know I always do.

Curlsgirl
November 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Yes I did it after the waist photo. I was just not happy with the tangly, thin ends and they were plainly split too. I really like the straight across look and hadn't really ever been able to do it on myself even with Feye's method. I always end up with the U-shape for some reason. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I had tried cutting off a bit at a time but just wasn't getting what I wanted. I kept looking at them more and more. It's still close to waist wet anyway. I am going to try not to look at it curly for a while. :eek:

Nyghtingale
November 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'm with you. I cut about 3-4 inches off mine recently. It looks/acts/feels better, but I miss the length too.

misstwist
November 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
About a month ago I cut 1 & 1/2 inches with the intention of cutting the same or more in another month since the layers are really starting to interfere with what I want my hair to do.

I was just sick in the pit of my tummy after the first trim and haven't worked up the courage to trim again.

I never expected to come to this. Color me surprised.

Glad you are pleased with it. It will take a few washes to get used to.

BlackfootHair
November 16th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Health over length, I say. :) The healthy hair will grow even better than before! :D

Shermie Girl
November 16th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Sometimes nothing will do but a good trim. Enjoy your fresh, new ends. :D

ericthegreat
November 16th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I agree with BlackFootHair. Healthy, stronger hair is always better than hair that is thinning out and choked full of split ends. And think of it this way, you are now starting over with a stronger foundation for growing out your hair again which is still quite long even now after your haircut.

Don't worry about, if you keep growing healthily from this point on by the summer of 2010, you will again be back to the length you had just before but by then it will be much healthier!

GlennaGirl
November 16th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I HEART that fresh-cut-ends feeling. At the same time I fully understand mourning the loss of the inches. I hear ya, but enjoy that great, great, great fresh feeling for now!! It feels soooooooo good.

camirra555
November 16th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I'm sure it looks great and it'll grow back in no time. I know I need to go in for a trim, I haven't had one for almost 8 months and it's starting to show. Every time I've cut my hair my self it hasn't been pretty so I don't even do search and destroys cause I feel like I'll get too carried away.

friskybiznus
November 17th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I agree with everyone here. Healthy is better. You'll get that length back in no time!

jojo
November 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I had 2" cut off last week too, to get rid of a V hemline which was starting to develope, I dont miss the extra length to be honest as it looks so much better. It will grow back before you know it and I agree with the others health over length any day!

Carolyn
November 17th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Oh I hear ya! I've done a series of trims over the summer to get rid of bad ends. I miss my old length now. So I understand. It's great having a nice even hemline but it's still hard to deal with it being a lot shorter than it was. I just have to be patient and wait for it to grow.

SpinDance
November 17th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I had about 3 inches taken off late spring/early summer. It definitely needed to go, but I found I had to change how I put it up. Buns that had worked well suddenly didn't any more. I adjusted and now it's nearly back where it was. Haven't had a trim since, but I keep thinking I need to.

It was definitely healthier for having the trim, though.

Curlsgirl
November 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement! I took a bath this morning and it was weird not having to worry about it touching the water so much okay well at ALL! But yes healthier is better, thanks for reminding me all of you!!!

Carolyn
November 17th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement! I took a bath this morning and it was weird not having to worry about it touching the water so much okay well at ALL! But yes healthier is better, thanks for reminding me all of you!!!I miss that too. I loved reaching behind me and feeling my ends floating in the water. That's something I look forward to doing again.

Lamb
November 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Perhaps you'll have a growth spurt soon. :flower: Be happy with your new, healthy, fresh ends!

basketcase413
November 17th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I'm sure you all remember my "mourning" posts nearly this time last year....in two weeks I'll have my "anniversary"....actually joined about now, but gave in and had a MAJOR trim Dec. 1 to get rid of damaged, dry, brittle ends.....I hated it! I'm considering Dec 1st my anniversary because that's when I really started to focus on taking good care of my hair! I'm glad now that I had the major trim because I don't think all the care in the world would have salvaged those ends. I've gone from APL to well past BSL, in fact I think I'm just over 2" from waist! I'm definately thrilled with that progress for a year. I did find my first split a couple days ago, and quickly snipped it! I know after a year, I probably need to do a minor trim to get rid of some un-evenness...but when I remember how I felt after the last one, and consider that I may lose some of the versatility that I've just gotten to with updos, I'm not looking forward a trim at all! I'll post progress pics around the 1st and get some opinions then, and we'll see.

I do know from experience that you will get used to it in a few days, and the re-growth will be fairly rapid....so enjoy your healthy ends and hemline!

JamieLeigh
November 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Glad you're happy with the way your ends look and feel! What's the fun of growing hair out when you don't like the way it looks/feels? :p I'm still contemplating getting rid of a couple of inches and putting myself almost back at classic again. My ends are looking a bit thin these days for my taste. (I'm going to wait, though, until Nov 30 and trim according to the "length" guide on the Moroccan chart...never done that before, so no time like the present. :D)

jojo
November 17th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement! I took a bath this morning and it was weird not having to worry about it touching the water so much okay well at ALL! But yes healthier is better, thanks for reminding me all of you!!! thats a girl!:)

Teakafrog
November 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yay! Isn't that a nice feeling to have good ends? The length will be back soon enough, but it's worth it to keep a nice hemline and not let it get ratty. I'm going to do the same thing after the first of the year since I have about 3-4" on the ends that is still 'old' color-damaged hair, and it's going to come off.