PDA

View Full Version : Pentecostal hairstyles on non-Christians..?

getoffmyskittle
November 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Hi everyone, hope this isn't too odd a question. :lol:

I love Pentecostal updos. :bigeyes: I think they are really gorgeous, and there are a lot of YouTube videos these days on how to do them. (If you don't know what I mean, you can search YT for "Pentecostal hairstyles" or "Apostolic hairstyles.") So here is my question: would you (as a Pentecostal or strong Bible believer) be offended by a total nonbeliever wearing one of these updos? I'm clearly not Pentecostal and I don't think anyone would mistake me for it - I wear pants every day and have a pretty noticeable facial piercing (nostril, but I have some bling :lol:). I'm just tired of wearing my hair in a smooth bun all the time.

I know I can't control threads, but I really don't want this thread to turn into a big argument about who is allowed to wear what. I wouldn't wear a hijab without an invitation to do so, and I don't see this as being much different. I haven't ever seen these types of hairstyles on non-Pentecostal women, so I figured it would be nice to check before I just go out and do it.

morguebabe
November 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM
um I go to church and I'm not sure what you're talking about, but it's a hairstyle. I wouldn;t care and don't think you should care either.

angelthadiva
November 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not Pentecostal; although I am saved, sanctified and filled with the Holy Spirit ;) I love wearing long skirts and have my hair long...I wear full-face makeup and earrings, and well lots of jewelry :shrug: I love bling ;) I suppose I'm confused with being Pentecostal (at times); but I like what I like and I wear what I wear because I like it...And so should you :flower:

On a side note: I got a sari the other week...As soon as I get my petticoat and choli I'm so wearing it, and I'm not Indian ;)

Keildra
November 16th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I grew up Pentecostal and I don't know about anyone else but I personally don't care, I think if it looks good then where it. The Bible says to bring your best to the Lord, I think everyone should strive to look their personal best even if they are non-believers. I'm not trying to start an argument it's just my opinion.

kwaniesiam
November 16th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I never knew there were any specific hairstyles associated with that particular branch of religion. Is it more just a convenience thing due to the length of the hair? In that case, I'd have no problems with it (coming from a non-religious view point).

Gladtobemom
November 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I think you should wear your hair the way that makes you happy.

Whatever the "name" of the style . . . if it makes you feel good, that's what you should do.

OhioLisa
November 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't be offended in the least. No one "owns" the style. I say go for it. :)

handsclean
November 16th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm not Pentecostal (I'm Christian but I don't have a denomination) but I go to a Pentecostal church and I wouldn't be offended if you wore a "pentecostal" hairstyle (I didn't even know those existed :s ) and I don't think anyone at my church would be either.

angelthadiva
November 16th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Skitts: If you decide to go for it, post a pic so we can "ooh and ahh" okay? :flower:

getoffmyskittle
November 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your input, everyone! And, it's official: I suck at making these little loopies. :bigeyes:

angelthadiva
November 16th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for your input, everyone! And, it's official: I suck at making these little loopies. :bigeyes:

Just practice! I think some slight teasing might be involved...And well hairspray...At least from the videos I've seen on youtube.

Carolyn
November 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Skitts, I've been over on Youtube checking out the vids. Are those styles complicated or what? :D I think the styles are bascially just some fancier bun styles with some height added at the top. Do you really think if you did one of those styles and you walked by a group of Pentecostal women that they would recognise your 'do as a Pentecostal updo? I doubt they would. Besides as someone else said, no one owns a particular style. So knock yourself out! And I hope you post pics.

moonchaser
November 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I am Pentecostal/Apostolic. There is nothing sacred about the styles to us. Just trends that sweep through like any other group of people. You should see the "poofs" that we had in the early 90's. :D You can get some impressive height with hot rollers, teasing, and long hair. Makes me shudder to think what people put their hair through!

The majority of us wear our hair in any variety from the more complicated do's to just letting it hang down. I am sure that there are some churches that prefer only updo's all the time, but I haven't been to one, and I would think those would prefer the plainer styles due to modesty/not adorning yourself.

Hope I helped. I am not online much these days, so if you want to ask me anything else feel free to PM me.

longhairedfairy
November 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I grew up with Pentacostal church and, as moonchaser said, there's nothing sacred about the hairstyles.
BTW, hijab is required by law in some places. It matters not at all what religion you are. It's required and, in fact, predates Islam.

Eniratak
November 16th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm not Apostolic Pentecostal or Christian, but I was for almost two years. And I can honestly say there is nothing wrong with wearing their hairstyles. There isn't anything religious about it, so if you have the urge, go ahead.

Arriens
November 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM
would you (as a Pentecostal or strong Bible believer) be offended by a total nonbeliever wearing one of these updos?
Its just hair, not everyone is so obsessed by it like we are.

I don't think they even notice.
Well they might notice, "hey look, I can that updo as well". But thats about it.

prittykitty
November 18th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I am a born again Christian and I don't belong to any religion. Many of the other Christian women that I know tend to wear their hair up a lot but I am one of the ones who doesn't. I have seen numerous non believers dress and look like Christian women do. Believing in the Lord is not about how you wear your hair or how you dress, it's all about your relationship with Jesus. Of course we Christians don't get offended by how you wear your hair. We only get offended by those who use the Lord's name in vain.

Wear your hair in any style you want and enjoy!

talervo
November 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Those are really pretty and they seem like they could be easy. It kind of reminds me of the rolls they used in the 40s. You could use a method similar to making victory rolls (bobby pins and back combing).

Spring
November 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm a Christian as well. I don't believe any group of women own a hair style :D, so I would say wear the style that you're comfortable with (hopefully without all the hairspray :p)

getoffmyskittle
November 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks, everyone. :flowers:

Moonchaser, I had no idea you were Pentecostal! The things you learn. :lol:

I am lucky enough to have naturally voluminous (but I usually just call it poofy :lol:) hair, so I won't be backcombing, don't worry. I still haven't gotten the hang of those darn loopies though.

ETA: I asked because I wasn't sure whether the hairstyles were considered religious or special. I don't know a lot about these churches, except that they seem to have distinctive hairstyles which I haven't seen worn by people who weren't church members. It has nothing to do with how obsessed I am with hair (although I grant you that the obsession does run deep :p) -- I figure when you notice a cultural phenomenon like that, it's better to ask first before you copy it. :twocents:

Wind
November 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I'm going to say that with your jeans and sparkly, I don't think anyone it going to see it and be all like, "Woah pentecostal style!" and look at you funny. :lol:

longhairedfairy
November 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks, everyone. :flowers:

Moonchaser, I had no idea you were Pentecostal! The things you learn. :lol:

I am lucky enough to have naturally voluminous (but I usually just call it poofy :lol:) hair, so I won't be backcombing, don't worry. I still haven't gotten the hang of those darn loopies though.

ETA: I asked because I wasn't sure whether the hairstyles were considered religious or special. I don't know a lot about these churches, except that they seem to have distinctive hairstyles which I haven't seen worn by people who weren't church members. It has nothing to do with how obsessed I am with hair (although I grant you that the obsession does run deep :p) -- I figure when you notice a cultural phenomenon like that, it's better to ask first before you copy it. :twocents:
Nah, it ain't a sacred style or anything. No big deal.:) Please take pics once you get the hang of it.

longhairedfairy
November 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm going to say that with your jeans and sparkly, I don't think anyone it going to see it and be all like, "Woah pentecostal style!" and look at you funny. :lol:
Well, some Pentecostals can be pretty showy anyway (not that it's necessarily a bad thing), depending on where you go, speaking from experience. I remember some of them dancing all around the sanctuary and getting pretty loud.:D

shortgoinglong
November 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
LOvL Pentecostal churches must have changed. I am a member of a Church of God church which is a Pentecostal Denomination and we don't own a hairdo! I see everything from bobs, long hair in buns, long hair worn down, to short pixie cuts. (I was in our praise team and am growing out a pixie) I do believe God wants a woman to look feminine but we don't a have a certain hairstyle. My pastor teases sometimes about a PHD a Pentecostal Hair Do but that's about it. I frequently visit other Pentecostal churches and have found it to be true there as well.

Sheltie_Momma
November 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I just wanted to say I think it is really respectful and nice that you asked this question. I follow Christ, but am not Pentecostal although I frequently wear long denim skirts and like you, I have the natural poof going. I say "Work it girl!" and show us pictures!

Magdalene
November 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM
As far as I can tell, the pouf is very much remnicient of Victorian hairdos.

Diamondbell
November 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
On a side note: I got a sari the other week...As soon as I get my petticoat and choli I'm so wearing it, and I'm not Indian ;)

Hope to see photos of you in sari! :D

Tressie
November 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Go for it!! And we want pictures!! (o: I don't think anyone would be offended at you in any way!! I certainly wouldn't!

angelthadiva
November 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hope to see photos of you in sari! :D

/hijack

As soon as I get the petticoat and choli I sure will! :D

/end hijack

Diamondbell
November 19th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I still haven't gotten the hang of those darn loopies though.

Not a Pentecostal either though a Christian, and am sure they won't mind! :) The loopies look difficult to me! Needs a lot of patience! Good luck with it!! :thumbsup:

halfbakedtulip
November 20th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I would love to see some pics!
I watched some of the videos and my hair hurts now shudder:
That can be a hang of alot of teasing, spraying and REALLY tight pony's eek!

Loviatar
November 20th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I say go for it, Skitts; I can't imagine a Christian being offended that a non-Christian was wearing their hair in a particularly Pentecostal or Apostolic style. It's just not, well a Christian thing to do.

I'd wear that style and enjoy it. Personally, I'd love to wear sari or salwar kameez, but I'm a little worried that all my friends would be like WTF You are not Indian. :(

GlassEyes
November 20th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I say go for it, Skitts; I can't imagine a Christian being offended that a non-Christian was wearing their hair in a particularly Pentecostal or Apostolic style. It's just not, well a Christian thing to do.

I'd wear that style and enjoy it. Personally, I'd love to wear sari or salwar kameez, but I'm a little worried that all my friends would be like WTF You are not Indian. :(
Eh, most people probably shouldn't care, in my opinion. Just because you aren't Indian doesn't mean you can't enjoy and show respect for that culture, which is exactly what dressing in that style is doing. In my opinion, I don't think anyone should be offended.

It just reminds me of that thread we had a while ago where someone was wearing hairsticks and another girl/woman (can't remember) said she couldn't because she wasn't Asian. I mean, come on. xD;

There is another side, in that some people might see it as an 'invasion of their culture', but eh, I'd rather liek to think that people would want others to see others enjoying and liking their culture rather than hating it, or something. :shrug: Just my two cents. :p

And on the actual topic of the thread, I can see why skitts might ask, but I don't think the hairstyles THEMSELVES are a part of the pentecoastal religion, from what I understand--the growing of long hair and keeping it up, yes, but the hairstyles just seem more like a popular trend within the community to support these two endeavors. Anybody, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Diamondbell
November 20th, 2009, 05:27 AM

Loviatar Feel free to wear a sari :D I am sure you will look nice in it. In fact I believe Indians would love others from all over the world wearing sari too. Many from other countries who come here (India) wear sari and it always suits them! Sari is the kind of dress that suits anyone! So you must try it!! :) Salwar Kameez would look good too...

Redheaded Raven
November 20th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I went to a Pentecostal Church as a child that did those exact styles and I am a Christian and I agree if they are offended by a hair style then they need prayer... :D

I think that sharing hair styles and cultural information is one way that we can try to understand where we are coming from and I am all for that.

I have worn a hijab as I love that kind of covering and cover at work and sometimes other places. I have asked Muslimah's if they were bothered and most were very open to my wanting to wear it.

So I say rock it Skitts and remember if you don't take pics it didn't happen. :D

Redheaded Raven
November 20th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I forgot to add that I am also known to wear a sari and enjoy it. I love my salwar kameez and I am thinking of using that style as a pattern for my scrubs... :D

I admit it, I am different and march to my own drummer.

florenonite
November 20th, 2009, 06:29 AM
As far as I can tell, the pouf is very much remnicient of Victorian hairdos.

Do you have any comparison pictures? What I've seen of the Pentecostal pouf looks nothing like any Victorian hairstyles I've seen, from any part of that era. I tend to associate pouffy hair with the early nineteenth (pre-Victorian) and eighteenth centuries :shrug:

Isa-belle
November 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM
This is very considerate of you, Skitts. Kudos.
I hope you show us some pics - some of the updos I saw on YT are pretty spectacular!

(and you're giving me ideas now :hmm: and there's no way anyone here in Southern France would associate this hairdo with the Pentecostal religion, so I'm safe in this respect ;))

moonchaser
November 24th, 2009, 09:28 AM
LOvL Pentecostal churches must have changed.

It has changed. The use of the term Pentecostal used to be those that believed women didn't cut their hair or wear pants, etc. In the last couple of generations it has changed to branch out into Church of God, etc.

That is why the use of the term Apostolic has started being used more for those of us that are still of the "old school" to differentiate.

Skitts, I still don't have the hang of the loopies, either. I have given up. My hair is too straight. You might find that if your hair is both coarse and straight that they won't hold up on you. However, if I do my hair while it is still slightly damp, I can get a lot closer to achieving the loopies.

fluffybunny
November 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I don't think it's like wearing a hijab. Those up-do's aren't part of the belief system-- it's just about having uncut hair. So I don't think you'd be seen as turning something with religious significance into a fashion item.

Nicoliee
January 14th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I don't see why anyone would be offended!

MandaMom2Three
January 14th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Only if you swear the oath of the sacred hairstyle :pray::meditate: . JK :D. I highly doubt anyone would be offended.

piffyanne
December 28th, 2011, 01:03 AM
>snip< I admit it, I am different and march to my own drummer.
I like to say that I "march to my own drummer, who happens to play the flute"!:p

Regarding the hairstyle, I'd say "go for it, and can I come along? I've been meaning to ask this myself, and plan to apply your comments as if they were replies to my own request as to whether it would be appropriate to appropriate (hooray for words that are written identically and mean different things!) these for my own use!"

Happy hair'do'ing, and be SURE to post pictures!!:D

woolyleprechaun
December 28th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Even if somebody recognised the hairdo, how would they know your not pentacostal?:p lol. Id go for it if you like it, Im tootling off to check youtube for this now.:eyebrows: I know it is odd, but I like covering my head, and rarely go out without a hat or something, Ive even worn a headscarf at times and worried about it offending religious denominations.......But as its already been mentioned, headcoverings and hairstyles pre-date modern religions and Im sure it wouldnt cause offence. If I was religious and wore a certain style because of it, I think Id just be flattered by others doing so, if anything. Afterall, immitation is the highest form of flattery:o

DarkSky
December 28th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Can someone post an example of this type of hairstyle. I never heard of it and I'm Christian/Baptist.

Kelikea
December 28th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I like those updo's too! I tried a couple I saw on video, but my hair is too thick:( I can't make those little rolls the you pin all over your head, the pins just come right back out again, the rolls are too fat. There was one of a side ponytail with the tail folded and coiled back on itself-my hair was too thick and not long enough. The girl on the video has near classic length and fairytale ends. Go for it:) Good luck!

kaiakai
December 28th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I saw a tableful of ladies at a restaurant a few months ago with these fabulous 'dos. I couldn't stop staring at them :)

deltadeliquent
December 28th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I had never heard of the term until I read the post. Upon looking up images my first and subsequent impression is that this style is an updated version of late Roman or Byzantine styles from 1800 years ago!
I think they are beautiful, and look forward to getting my hair long enough for them.
Probably be gone again by then.....:rolleyes:

I love that they seem to be an ancient style reborn...maybe that's the other reason they are thought of as "Pentecostal"!

spidermom
December 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Every hair style that I try, I put my own spin on it because I don't like to copy what other people are doing. But I certainly like to be inspired by what other people are doing! I've also cruised through Pentecostal hair styling videos and been inspired by them. Why not?

Maktub
December 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I think it's nice of you to ask those things, and I'd love to see pictures too :)

I have worn a hijab as I love that kind of covering and cover at work and sometimes other places. I have asked Muslimah's if they were bothered and most were very open to my wanting to wear it.

Slight thread hijack : As for the hijab, from a muslimah here, I agree that even though it is currently associated to islam, all muslims that I know would not see a problem in any non muslim wearing it, for example for humility reasons, finding it beautiful, protecting hair from the sun, hiding a medical / scalp condition ... and so on. They would appreciate it and find it cool that other people like it too. Maybe feel less stigmatised and socially rejected, and so on.

Head-covering is in no way a muslim thing (lots of variety of ways to cover among Christians, Jews, Hindus, and different cultures around the world, etc. etc.) , and "hijab" is just one way to wear a head covering, among others :) Of course, people would ask questions though :p

slz
December 28th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Upon looking up images my first and subsequent impression is that
Well you were lucky cause when I googled it up I found anything and everything from short overdone/bleached hair pics to regular buns to (numerous) pics of Denzel Washington :confused: Is my google broken or what :confused:
If somebody could post a link I'd be grateful :D .

ETA : thanks a lot Amazinggrace !

Amazinggrace
December 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM
slz: here is a youtube link for quite a few: http://www.youtube.com/user/gossgirl2#g/u

OP, I don't think most of the styles that I found are only used by the denomination. I think they may just be seen more in them, because a large majority of the women have long hair.

What ever style you like, that makes you feel beautiful is ok. :)

sibiryachka
December 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Eh, most people probably shouldn't care, in my opinion. Just because you aren't Indian doesn't mean you can't enjoy and show respect for that culture, which is exactly what dressing in that style is doing. In my opinion, I don't think anyone should be offended.

It just reminds me of that thread we had a while ago where someone was wearing hairsticks and another girl/woman (can't remember) said she couldn't because she wasn't Asian. I mean, come on. xD;

There is another side, in that some people might see it as an 'invasion of their culture', but eh, I'd rather liek to think that people would want others to see others enjoying and liking their culture rather than hating it, or something. :shrug: Just my two cents. :p

And on the actual topic of the thread, I can see why skitts might ask, but I don't think the hairstyles THEMSELVES are a part of the pentecoastal religion, from what I understand--the growing of long hair and keeping it up, yes, but the hairstyles just seem more like a popular trend within the community to support these two endeavors. Anybody, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I swear, some days visiting LHC is like finally returning to the home planet :cheese:
All this wanting to try something, but being worried that someone else might be offended or find it unseemly, is so familiar...

Does anyone else recall this thread?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82242

Yay us, for wanting to be culturally sensitive! LHC has given me "permission" to wear sari, salwar kameez, Indian-style hair jewelry, head coverings any way I like, and, hopefully, the confidence to just go ahead and wear whatever suits me without worrying about other people's opinions!

I will personally send a homemade hairstick, in colors of your choosing, to the first person to post a photo of him/herself rocking both a sari (or salwar kameez, why not) AND a Pentecostal pouf. Seriously.

getoffmyskittle
December 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I will personally send a homemade hairstick, in colors of your choosing, to the first person to post a photo of him/herself rocking both a sari (or salwar kameez, why not) AND a Pentecostal pouf. Seriously.

Give me a few minutes...

getoffmyskittle
December 28th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I'm sexy and I know it! :wigtongue

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/getoffmyskittle/Mobile%20Uploads/1228111417_01-1.jpg

sibiryachka
December 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I'm sexy and I know it! :wigtongue

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/getoffmyskittle/Mobile%20Uploads/1228111417_01-1.jpg

Dang, girl, you're fast! PM me your mailing address & color preferences :p

allnight avenue
December 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
If poufs are just for Pentecostal women, somebody ought to tell Snooki. :cheese:

I adore a lot of those hairstyles - the only downside is that the women in the videos make them look SO EASY and then you actually go to do them on your head and your fingers and hair are just like.....:confused: I should go back and try now that my hair is a bit longer.