PDA

View Full Version : self trim

squee
November 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I cut 2.5-3 inches off my hair...it feels naked and so short! But my velcro ends are gone... :) bitter-sweat, from tailbone/hips to waist in less then 5mins.

I also saved perhaps $20 from cutting my own hair :D
That makes me feel good.

How is everyone doing as it is getting colder and rainier/snowier?

It is getting very rainy and cloudy where I am at, and steadily getting colder. Getting to the 50s during the day on average, soon the foot of snow! :boxer: Time to start working the arms I say!

harley mama
November 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Squee, I am looking at a trim myself very soon. I will probably let my daughter trim mine next month during the Winter Solstice. I am currently at mid butt and plan to take off at least 2-3 inches.

We are in south Texas so, our weather is still mild here. It did get cooler today but, I was still wearing shorts to run my errands. I love south Texas winters!

squee
November 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I went to Texas during the summer (june-aug)....it was soooo hot. It was 95+, I think it few days it was over 100 :)
I live in WI and I enjoy the cold.

So proud, I trimmed my own hair and it was a nice even slight U shape!

Why are you doing it during the winter solstice? Does it affect anything? Just curious :)

GlennaGirl
November 16th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Awesome! Did you use Feye's method?

I have used that many times myself.

Stephichan
November 16th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I did a dusting trim a few days ago. My many layers are starting to bug the heck out of me, but to get rid of them all at once would take me back to collarbone. And I'm so close to bsl at the longest! So dusting about once a month is a compromise. I just want to be able to do a decent rope braid (and english braid, and french braid... and bun), is that really so much to ask?:justy:

GlennaGirl
November 16th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I just want to be able to do a decent rope braid (and english braid, and french braid... and bun), is that really so much to ask?:justy:

It may not just be the layers...it might be because your hair is so thick. I've seen a lot of iiis on here say they weren't able to do certain buns or braids until a fairly long length because of their thickness.

I have layers but I'm so thin that I can do all those braids and buns at just a couple of inches past the tops of my shoulders. That's why I say that...So at least you know you have gloriously thick, enviable hair...you WILL braid, bun and rope and in the meantime...you have a simply lovely head of hair no matter what the length!

jera
November 17th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I cut 2.5-3 inches off my hair...it feels naked and so short! But my velcro ends are gone... :) bitter-sweat, from tailbone/hips to waist in less then 5mins.

I also saved perhaps $20 from cutting my own hair :D
That makes me feel good.

How is everyone doing as it is getting colder and rainier/snowier?

It is getting very rainy and cloudy where I am at, and steadily getting colder. Getting to the 50s during the day on average, soon the foot of snow! :boxer: Time to start working the arms I say!

It does feel good to save bucks by self trimming doesn't it. I'm a self trimmer too. Don't worry, your 2.5 inches will grow back faster than you think. :)

And the weather is getting colder here, but not too rainy. :p

squee
November 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Awesome! Did you use Feye's method?

I have used that many times myself.

Yes I did, and it worked wonderfully. :)

It does feel good to save bucks by self trimming doesn't it. I'm a self trimmer too. Don't worry, your 2.5 inches will grow back faster than you think.

And the weather is getting colder here, but not too rainy.

I am sure it will, my hair grows kinda fast.

JamieLeigh
November 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Awesome, glad you're happy with your trim job! :flower: I know what you mean - I'm about to do a trim myself of a couple inches, which will put me right under classic again, I think. I always miss my couple of inches when I trim....but it's not a life-changing, appearance-altering thing with me at this length, lol. And it grows back. ;)

I'm in Alabama, and the winters stay pretty mild here too. I can make it with a light jacket on our coldest days. :D

camillacamilla
November 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I have been cutting my hair for YEARS... I think in the 6 years I have been with DH, I have went to the salon twice, maybe three times. Each time I left with a haircut that wasn't as good as what I can do myself. Feye's method is the basis for my cuts, then sometimes I add layers or whatever else I feel like.

Stephichan
November 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM
It may not just be the layers...it might be because your hair is so thick. I've seen a lot of iiis on here say they weren't able to do certain buns or braids until a fairly long length because of their thickness.

I have layers but I'm so thin that I can do all those braids and buns at just a couple of inches past the tops of my shoulders. That's why I say that...So at least you know you have gloriously thick, enviable hair...you WILL braid, bun and rope and in the meantime...you have a simply lovely head of hair no matter what the length!

Oh, what I meant by decent was to not have so many hairs sticking out of those styles. I can do them with my thickness, especially since I've lost a bit of circumference the past few months due to a mega-shed, but they aren't as pretty as they could be yet. I once did what I thought was a good cinnabun, but when I took a picture of it it looked like one of those pictures from a spirograph, there was such a fanning of ends.

squee
November 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Awesome, glad you're happy with your trim job! :flower: I know what you mean - I'm about to do a trim myself of a couple inches, which will put me right under classic again, I think. I always miss my couple of inches when I trim....but it's not a life-changing, appearance-altering thing with me at this length, lol. And it grows back. ;)

I'm in Alabama, and the winters stay pretty mild here too. I can make it with a light jacket on our coldest days. :D
Very true, it does grow back. :)
I can still get away with a light wool sweater, but its hitting the 40s more, guna need a jacket soon!
It snowed once a few weeks ago, kinda wet snow, didn't stick too well.

I have been cutting my hair for YEARS... I think in the 6 years I have been with DH, I have went to the salon twice, maybe three times. Each time I left with a haircut that wasn't as good as what I can do myself. Feye's method is the basis for my cuts, then sometimes I add layers or whatever else I feel like.
Past few times I let others cut my hair, it didn't turn out to well either. They cut to much, and put stuff in my hair last few times. Although once, I got a head massage, I liked that. I wonder if regular massage places also do heads....

coddswaddle
November 18th, 2009, 04:39 PM
When you ladies self-trim, how do you make sure it's even? I try to do it myself but it seems as if my hair is too thick to do Feye's self trim. I keep trying but I keep ending up with thick bundles from my halves and can't hold all of the hair in my two fingers. If I divide the halves I have a really hard time getting the line even. Any advice?