PDA

View Full Version : When wearing hair up, do you remove the parting?

Lemur_Catta
November 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM
What is the best way to brush or comb hair, when making a braid\ponytail\bun? Do you brush all your hair back, thus removing the parting, or you leave the parting, brushing the side sections back? I don't know if I am being very clear...
When I had a fringe, I used to brush all my hair back, except the fringe, but now my fringe is growing and my hair looks good only if I part on the side...is this a problem? I think it would be better to brush all hair back, and maybe use some bobby pins to keep the fringe back, while allowing my face-framing layers (chin length) to hang down in the front.
I only realized that while looking at some pictures here on LHC.
Is leaving the parting "wrong"? Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Xandergrammy
November 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I comb all my hair straight back, but I just might try leaving an part just to see how it looks!

florenonite
November 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM
It's just personal preference. When I had a fringe I brushed all the way back, now that I don't I leave a side parting to prevent my forehead looking a mile long ;)

Heavenly Locks
November 16th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I have a fringe, so there really is only one way for me to do it. I comb it all straight back and do it up from there. (leaving the fringe down) I worry that if I made another part, the top of my head might look busy? :o

LadyLongLocks
November 16th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Good question! The only bun where I leave the center part is my pretzel bun. I have no fringe/bangs now so all hair can be pulled back. Leaving the part is hard sometimes, it just wants to blend in. I think a part can look nice with a bun,but for me, it is harder to do it.
My hair is heavy and when I do most of my buns,all the hair is gathered tightly. Making a part with some styles would require sectioning the hair and not adding it to the bun right away. I am still learning how to do this.
I think a low bun is easier for leaving a part.
I don't think it is "wrong" to leave a part. I think it can add some style.
I want to try a zig zag part! I wish I could leave my part more often, but I find it takes more time and effort.
Pulling all of the hair back with no part can sometimes look "harsh".
Sometimes I wear a headband just to break up the pulled back hair look!
A barrette can also help keep a part in.
Part or no part-There is no set rule IMO.

Finoriel
November 16th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Just personal preference.
I never take out my side part since brushing all my hair back straight from the hairline feels uncomfortable to me. Sooner or later my part will show up anyways, so I just donīt bother to struggle against it :wink:
If you like to wear your buns very high, it may be better to go the no part route, otherwise the hair tends to lie funny. If you like low buns better the part should be no problem at all.
Besides bobby pins, headbands or bandanas itīs also ueffective to start an updo with twin frenchbraids includeing your fringe. You donīt need to finish the braids all the way down your length. Itīs also possible to just leave the length unbraided after finishing the french part and bun it unbraided in case youīre running out of time in the morning or are not in the mood for braids or a braided bun. :)

Carolyn
November 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM
It's just personal preference. Try it both ways and see which you like best. I find it easiest to brush it all straight back.

Heidi_234
November 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I hate the way I look with all my hair brushed back. I even came up with an alternate parting for a french braid to avoid that. I always leave my part, and always had, with or without bangs.

florenonite
November 16th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I hate the way I look with all my hair brushed back. I even came up with an alternate parting for a french braid to avoid that. I always leave my part, and always had, with or without bangs.

Ooh, please share!

Now that my fringe is going out, I need a way to part my hair for French braids and the like.

Heidi_234
November 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Ooh, please share!

Now that my fringe is going out, I need a way to part my hair for French braids and the like.
I think I even made a thread for it somewhere...
Oh! Here you go :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27880

florenonite
November 16th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I think I even made a thread for it somewhere...
Oh! Here you go :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27880

Thank you :)

ericthegreat
November 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I usually only wear my hair in simple styles like a high ponytail, a high twisted chignon, or occasionally in a single braid or high braided bun. For these styles, I always wet my scalp down and slick it back completely with no parting. I like sleek, shiny, completely brushed back styles when doing an upstyle of any sort.

pepperminttea
November 16th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I leave my part in, I find it looks a little less harsh on me than all brushed back.

camirra555
November 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I do both. Usually for buns I leave a centre part. For a high bun or pony tail I do no part

Schefflera
November 16th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I occasionally try to get all my hair to go straight back, but I have a lot of trouble getting it all to go unless it's wet or something. I did it last time I washed my hair, and it stayed for a while, but after several hours the sides had fallen off to the side and only the top hair was still actually pointing backward. *shrug* Then again, I used to have a lot of trouble getting a straight part. Maybe if I put it back often enough it will get the idea.

JamieLeigh
November 16th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Sometimes I brush the top smooth, no-part, using my BBB, but sometimes I actually create a new part on the side. My natural part is in the middle, and that just doesn't work out for most updos. :p But an extreme side part sometimes makes a bun look better on me. Especially if I add my faux-sideswept-fringe to it. :D

Rahenna
November 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I have a hideously huge widow's peak, so my hair gets really lumpy if I brush it straight back. I've never had bangs because of that stupid thing. *grumble*

I always part right down the middle. :)

ravenreed
November 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I do it both ways, but if the bun is high, I can't keep the part without the hair bunching up weirdly, so then I smooth it all back. I like it with the part better, so I do that when I can.

Hiriel
November 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I do both, but my hair is so extremely fond of its part that removing it takes a lot of effort, so I only do that when I have the time, and want the updo to look particularly neat.

Jessikinz
November 16th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah it's just personal preference. I like to do both. Some days I will comb it all back, or I'll leave my part.

Shastrix
November 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I tend to brush all my hair back when wearing it in a ponytail. I think the main reason for this is that my twin sister keeps the parting and I already look too much like her... :p

pradabacon
November 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I do both, depending on how my hair is acting that day. :) Sometimes it wants to part and sometimes it doesn't.

masterofmidgets
November 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I always leave my middle part in when I put my hair up. If I try to brush it all back, it feels weird, and the part just shows up again in a few minutes anyway.

HildeMV
November 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I have a side part normally when I wear buns and braids

RoseRedDead
November 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM
It depends on the look I'm going for.

I tend to reserve the "hair all brushed back/no part" for times when I want to look more polished, and thusly more severe.

I also part it down the middle, or to either side. Side parts tend to look fancier.

viking_quest
November 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I used to comb it all back but it would part by itself so I just part it before I do anything with my hair.

Keildra
November 16th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I brush back only when I'm doing a High pony/braid/bun
all my low stuff seems to look better with the part

Elphie
November 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I do a little of everything: sometimes I pull it all back, sometimes I use a center or side part, sometimes I zigzag it. Depends upon my mood and the style. I prefer keeping my part though.

harley mama
November 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Most of the time my hair parts naturally down the middle after I CO. I usually just leave it parted when I twist my hair into a bun since I seldom comb between CO's.

MsBubbles
November 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I wish I could remove my part(ing). Actually the only way I was ever able to successfully banish it was when I back combed the heck out of it in the 80s for a big, spikey do. I tried doing the twisting, bobby-pin 'height' giving thing, that somebody wrote an article on here, but it didn't work and it just fell either side of the part. :o

windinherhair
November 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I think it would be just what works best for your hair (or personal preference). I think if I didn't comb all my hair back together then it could look lumpy.

JCFantasy23
November 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I remove the parting when I wear it back. I do have some bangs that I let fall down.