PDA

View Full Version : You have very pretty hair. .

marajade
November 15th, 2009, 08:38 PM
You have very pretty hair. .are you going to donate it?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow really? My best asset and you are asking me if I am going to donate it?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know we've had tons of discussions about this, and to be fair it was on a forum that I got asked this. . but still. I wonder if people thing about stuff like that before they blurt it out or type it. LOL!

Gumball
November 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
You have very pretty jewelry! Are you going to donate it? You can always get more later.

marajade
November 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM
You have very pretty jewelry! Are you going to donate it? You can always get more later.

Good comeback!:D *stashes in brain for later use*.

Wanderer09
November 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Is it weird that I'm going to feel like I've hit a milestone when I'll first get asked that question? :p

marajade
November 15th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Is it weird that I'm going to feel like I've hit a milestone when I'll first get asked that question? :p

Nah!!! :cheese:

renarok
November 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I got asked that three times yesterday. I replied that they wouldn't want my color treated hair that has more that a few gray hairs in it. I get tired of explaining why donating isn't as wonderful as it is made out to be. That soap box doesn't have my name on it.

ravenreed
November 15th, 2009, 11:04 PM
If I ever get asked that question, which I doubt I will because I am known for being grumpy, I will simply ask, "You have two kidneys, you only need one. Have you considered donating one?"

skay
November 15th, 2009, 11:41 PM
That must be frustrating.

Must be the sign of the times as I think people didn't get asked that question (as much) back in the day.

missjessiecakes
November 15th, 2009, 11:59 PM
When I tell people I am growing out my hair they always ask if I am doing so to donate it. I ask them if they want to donate an organ/bone marrow/blood/ etc and they look horrified. I've donated blood and would donate an organ or marrow but me hair is mine I am growing it for me and you can have it the minute you donate your kidney to someone. :D

Islandgrrl
November 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Anymore I just say yes. It makes them happy and the go away.

JamieLeigh
November 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM
A lady who works with my mother has a daughter who grows and donates regularly. She told me "Wow, you could donate twice to Locks of Love!" I politely told her, "I'd absolutely consider it if LoL were a charity and not a business!" ;)

otherarrow
November 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
A lady who works with my mother has a daughter who grows and donates regularly. She told me "Wow, you could donate twice to Locks of Love!" I politely told her, "I'd absolutely consider it if LoL were a charity and not a business!" ;)

What exactly do they need the hair for?

Beatnik Guy
November 16th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately, we can probably thank Tyra and all those other shows we don't watch for the fact that for many people the two thoughts are inextricably linked. Maybe if long hair was on TV sometimes without being cut off? I know, that's such a crazy, left field, out there idea. :rolleyes:

Michiru
November 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Funny, someone told me the same thing about 4 days ago. it went something along the lines of "Oh wow, your hair is so long, are you planning on donating it to locks of love."
Although I've read about it happening to a lot of people here that has never happened to me before. Probably because it doesn't look like i have so much hair while it is up.
She was complementing my ficcare clip but saying how it probably wouldn't stay in her hair because her hair is so thick. That was when I took my hair down showing how much the chip can hold. I think my reply was something along the line of "uh, no, I plan on keeping it." I know, totally sassy response. :rolleyes:

someone else said they never saw that long of hair in real life. It's only tailbone length 33.5 from top of head and 37.5 from forehead but it still felt special. :D Although they were confused why someone would want hair that long, especially when I said I sometimes think of going to knee length. :p

Brownie
November 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Is donating (like LOL) a US thing? I never heard about it before LHC and nobody ever asked me to donate my hair...

RoseRedDead
November 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately, we can probably thank Tyra and all those other shows we don't watch for the fact that for many people the two thoughts are inextricably linked. Maybe if long hair was on TV sometimes without being cut off? I know, that's such a crazy, left field, out there idea. :rolleyes:

Goodnes, BG, what *ARE* you thinking? :rolleyes:

I like the lines "Why don't you donate a kidney? You only need one!" and "You have nice skin... why don't you donate it to a burn victim?"

Keildra
November 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I've been asked once by some stranger on the street so I calmly replied "I donated blood two days ago that will actually save someone's life my hair won't"

longhairedfairy
November 16th, 2009, 04:36 PM
What exactly do they need the hair for?
To sell as extensions and as filling for golf balls, apparently.:rolleyes:

harley mama
November 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM
My nephew lost his grandmother to breast cancer a few years ago. He started growing his hair out as a tribute to her with the plan to donate it to LOL as soon as it got long enough. I had a long talk with him about LOL and told him to be sure and research them before he decided to cut. I am happy to report that he is still growing!

LadyLongLocks
November 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
This is so annoying!
I hardly wear my hair down and when I do I don't need anyone making that stupid comment.
I kind of go off on them now and am not so nice anymore. Besides the lecture about LOL,I tell them I think it's gross to wear someone elses DNA. I ask them what they have donated.
If I have my LOL info with me, I hand them a list of links.

JamieLeigh
November 17th, 2009, 10:14 AM
It's easier to be polite to these people who ask about donating your hair the first few times. When it starts to happen repeatedly, you kind of get snarkier with the reponses the more you have to make them. I know this is true for me. I was actually flattered the first time I heard one of those comments toward my hair, and I was actually a bit flustered in my reply because it was so unexpected. Nowadays I just kind of snap at people about LoL, which is I suppose a bit unfair, since it's not the same person asking all the time. But it really just gets old. :mad:

Armelle
November 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I love some of y'alls responses! :D
I usually just shake my head in response. It irks me, sure. It seems to me that they're saying, "Why else would you bother to grow out your hair?" Maybe that is exactly what they are thinking. Who would've thought that a part of your body would be considered a fashion accessory...or a farm :?

ladycatpurrs
November 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM
My son has thick black hair, almost down to his butt and I have seen women come up to him and compliment his hair and then turn right around and ask him if he is going to donate it. He loves his hair (let a girl break up with him once rather than give in and cut it to conform to her notions) and he just sort of goes "uuummm" and edges away from them. He calls them nut cases when they walk away and Mom doesn't argue with him...

Speckla
November 17th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Say, "Yes, how much would you like?" :cheese:

Fiferstone
November 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I haven't had the "are you going to donate" question and I too will consider it a milestone. Either the hair is long enough, or is healthy-looking enough, for someone to think I'm a walking hair-farm (LOL). To which I will reply: "I've given over a gallon of blood all told, blood is what I prefer to donate."

:evilgrin:

young&reckless
November 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
A well meaning friend asked me this last night. I was shocked! I wanted to ask if she would donate her larger body parts, but I didn't.

Radulfr
November 17th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Tell them " It's my hair- I don't feel like being shorn like a sheep today." baaaaa

or, "No, It's my hair and I'm not through using it yet"

TiaKitty
November 17th, 2009, 07:36 PM
When I am asked that question I usually respond "No... I'm going to grow it down to my knees and then just wear a belt... nothing else. Then, I'll donate the money I save on clothes."

Armelle
November 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
When I am asked that question I usually respond "No... I'm going to grow it down to my knees and then just wear a belt... nothing else. Then, I'll donate the money I save on clothes."

:spitting:
That's AWESOME!

longhairedfairy
November 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM
That is just great! I have to remember it!:rollin:

BranwenWolf
November 19th, 2009, 10:26 PM
"You have very pretty corneas/kidneys/bone marrow/platlets. Are you going to donate those?"

GlennaGirl
November 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM
"You have very pretty corneas/kidneys/bone marrow/platlets. Are you going to donate those?"

"What an adorable baby! Will you be donating him to someone less fortunate? I mean you can always make another one and it will only take nine months. It's not the end of the world!"

Freija
November 20th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Perhaps it's because I haven't been growing my hair for very long, all told, but I don't really understand why people get so very offended at being asked that question. I mean, it's a bit insensitive, of course, and I certainly wouldn't ask it myself - but most of the world doesn't value hair in the way a longhair does; to them it's just something the body always grows, like fingernails, and cutting it doesn't really compare to donating a kidney (I mean, most people I know trim their hair regularly, but few trim their internal organs), let alone a child. It's just from a different perspective, I suppose, and almost always asked as an entirely innocent, even legitimate question. I'm just not sure it's fair to respond so sharply as some seem to, or to be so annoyed, when a 'no, I'm just growing it for me' or even a slightly-amused, 'nope - all mine, I'm afraid!' would work just as well...

Maybe I'll feel differently with a hip-length mane of glory to call my own, though.

duckish
November 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM
"What an adorable baby! Will you be donating him to someone less fortunate? I mean you can always make another one and it will only take nine months. It's not the end of the world!"

I am torn between being horrified and laughing my tush off. Wow. Good one! :lol:

Mabel Grey
November 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM
This is so good, I am laughing and scared at the same time. In my case I would trade hair for baby. But that is another story. When my hair was long and stringy I was asked this. I freaked. Now I make jokes about cutting it and my co-workers take away all cutting implements for the day. I have been told people pay big money for my color and texture. The only other woman I work with has this happen to her all the time and her reply is "I am going to weave a blanket, for my horse." A human hair blanket, for her horse.

BranwenWolf
November 21st, 2009, 01:01 AM
Perhaps it's because I haven't been growing my hair for very long, all told, but I don't really understand why people get so very offended at being asked that question. I mean, it's a bit insensitive, of course, and I certainly wouldn't ask it myself - but most of the world doesn't value hair in the way a longhair does; to them it's just something the body always grows, like fingernails, and cutting it doesn't really compare to donating a kidney (I mean, most people I know trim their hair regularly, but few trim their internal organs), let alone a child. It's just from a different perspective, I suppose, and almost always asked as an entirely innocent, even legitimate question. I'm just not sure it's fair to respond so sharply as some seem to, or to be so annoyed, when a 'no, I'm just growing it for me' or even a slightly-amused, 'nope - all mine, I'm afraid!' would work just as well...

Maybe I'll feel differently with a hip-length mane of glory to call my own, though.

It's not so much the hair and use thereof, per se, it's that some person gave me a little left-handed b*tchslap "compliment".... that is, they gave me a compliment and then suggested I change something or must do something with it, because I don't deserve such prettiness for myself, it must be for the common good.

That's probably a little over-the-top for my feelings but that's basically it. I don't say "those are nice clothes- are you giving them to the thrift store?" "That's a nice car. Are you donating it to a worthy cause?"
Also- the "are you donating" question is sort of weighted so that answering in the negative makes the questionee look like a selfish crum.

hennared
November 21st, 2009, 02:31 AM
Or how about "yes, it's in my will" :D

(have to admit, I can't top the baby response.. I got a good laugh out of that!)

missjessiecakes
November 21st, 2009, 04:13 AM
That one I will remember and use when the time comes.
:cheese:

You are amazing and you just know they would look horrified!

Kuchen
November 21st, 2009, 06:00 AM
It's fine if someone asked me if I were growing my hair to donate it – I can just reply no. However, if they imply that I'm selfish for not donating, THEN the gloves come off.

brok3nwings
November 21st, 2009, 07:05 AM
most people just dont feel about hair as we do. most people dont understand how painful it would be to donate it..

Keildra
November 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
oh that is a good one, they definitely will never ask you again after that :bounce: