PDA

View Full Version : SLS and cone free S&C/growing out layers

shockinglength
November 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I've been wondering about Sls and cone free shampoo and conditioner. How will it benefit my hair? How long will it take for my hair to adjust to the new S&C? Will there be any negative aspects to switching? I want a shampoo and conditioner that I can buy from Superstore or Wal-mart. Is Burt's Bees a good choice. Any other recommendations?

I'm also trying to grow out my layers. (the ends of my hair is very thin and I can't do any up dos) What are different ways to do this? Will it work if I only trim the ends of my hair until the differetn layers catch up? Thanks for all the help.

**anxiously awating answers**

ccmuffingirl
November 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I've been wondering about Sls and cone free shampoo and conditioner. How will it benefit my hair? How long will it take for my hair to adjust to the new S&C? Will there be any negative aspects to switching? I want a shampoo and conditioner that I can buy from Superstore or Wal-mart. Is Burt's Bees a good choice. Any other recommendations?

I'm also trying to grow out my layers. (the ends of my hair is very thin and I can't do any up dos) What are different ways to do this? Will it work if I only trim the ends of my hair until the differetn layers catch up? Thanks for all the help.

**anxiously awating answers**

Hello. As far as sulfate-free shampoos go, there's a lot of mixed reviews. Sulfate-free shampoos use gentler surfactants to cleanse the hair, so they are less stripping and drying, which is a good option for someone with dry hair and scalp and/or very porous hair and needs a more gentle cleanse. But many people have experienced no problems using sulfates. Personally, I find all shampoos to be quite drying, but sulfates are especially drying for me, because I have dry hair and scalp. I've never tried anything from the Burt's Bees line, but I liked Giovanni Golden Wheat Clarifying Shampoo and I've tried Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo (which I find to be drying to my hair and scalp, even for a sulfate-free cleanser).

P.S. If you don't want to switch to a sulfate-free shampoo, another option would be to decrease the frequency with which you shampoo, dilute your shampoos, or coat your hair with oil or conditioner before shampooing.

Fractalsofhair
November 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Burt's Bees is good, although a bit drying.

wishbone
November 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
It might be better if you switch out either sls or cones first, then switch out the other. If you switch out both at the same time and your hair goes haywire, then it'll be harder to tell what caused it to as opposed to if you stopped it one at a time.

Personally, going cone free gave my hair more volume, made it less plasticky feeling and more wavy. Though others like having cones as it makes their hair less tangly, more shiny and sleeker. But it differs from individual to individual.

Flynn
November 15th, 2009, 07:58 PM
With a sulfate-free shampoo, my scalp is much happier.

Going cone-free revealed to me that my hair is not actually rough and sticky by nature, but that this was due to the cones. And not just build up; if I use cones at all now it goes back to the same. Also, getting rid of the 'cones often lets any waves and curls you have really show through.

So, the advantage? You get to find out if your hair feels and behaves better without cones, or not, and whether SLS-free imrpoves the condition of your scalp.

It may or may not work for you, but my experience says it's worth a shot!

shockinglength
November 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Burt's Bees is good, although a bit drying.

Why is it drying? to the ends of the hair or the scalp? Thanks

It might be better if you switch out either sls or cones first, then switch out the other. If you switch out both at the same time and your hair goes haywire, then it'll be harder to tell what caused it to as opposed to if you stopped it one at a time.

Personally, going cone free gave my hair more volume, made it less plasticky feeling and more wavy. Though others like having cones as it makes their hair less tangly, more shiny and sleeker. But it differs from individual to individual.

Thank you I will follow your advice and do this <3

ademtce
November 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Sudzz fx has to be THE best SLS free shampoo i've ever used, its not drying and lathers well.
and conditioner isn't really necessary if you're hair is in good shape, maybe a detangler if you get tangles.

shockinglength
November 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
With a sulfate-free shampoo, my scalp is much happier.

Going cone-free revealed to me that my hair is not actually rough and sticky by nature, but that this was due to the cones. And not just build up; if I use cones at all now it goes back to the same. Also, getting rid of the 'cones often lets any waves and curls you have really show through.

So, the advantage? You get to find out if your hair feels and behaves better without cones, or not, and whether SLS-free imrpoves the condition of your scalp.

It may or may not work for you, but my experience says it's worth a shot!

Thank you! When I switch to no cones should I do a clarifing shampoo first?

Flynn
November 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Thank you! When I switch to no cones should I do a clarifing shampoo first?

Eh, if your SLS shampoo is itself cone-free or low on cones, (and most are) that should be more than sufficient if you want to clarify. Just shampoo your length with it. ^__^

I have to say, I didn't bother, but that was largely because the underlying motivation for switching my shampoo was my skin and scalp.

Cherry_Sprinkle
November 15th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I clarified before going cone/sulfate free but I am not able to completely go with CO (conditioner only) because my scalp doesn't like it. I use shampoo bars and a good thick conditioner, I oil and do lots of deep treatments. I didn't really have any adjustment period for my hair.. it loved it instantly when I started so I have only tweaked it a bit here and there.

I am growing out layers too but I am still able to do updos and my hair is quite thin and fine :)

Flynn
November 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I clarified before going cone/sulfate free but I am not able to completely go with CO (conditioner only) because my scalp doesn't like it. I use shampoo bars and a good thick conditioner, I oil and do lots of deep treatments. I didn't really have any adjustment period for my hair.. it loved it instantly when I started so I have only tweaked it a bit here and there.

I am growing out layers too but I am still able to do updos and my hair is quite thin and fine :)

Hahaha, yeah, I can't get condish anywhere near my scalp... it's just a nightmare.

ccmuffingirl
November 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Oh, and as far as cone-free conditioners go, I love Giovanni's products.