PDA

View Full Version : Side of head hairs refuse to grow! Help.

RecklessCharlie
November 15th, 2009, 01:40 PM
So I have a question to throw out there to the masses.
I have these delicate hairs just above my temple and along my hair line that never EVER grow. They just stay at perfectly annoying length to stick out in every direction when I try and put my hair back in a 'smooth' pony. It is odd because the rest of my hair grows like wildfire on a windy day.

Is there something I've done/am doing to cause these hairs to break or be weak?

I used to vigorously rub my head with a towel after showering...but have since learned that is a no no, after being on this site for about 5 minutes hah!
Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

Gumball
November 15th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I have those hairs with short terminal lengths, too. It's compounded by the fact that I have curly hair, so their desire to stick out is oodles stronger than I wish it was! For me I know I can't really do anything about that as that is just how they grow. Learning to live with them and dealing with them, good or bad, has been my route.

mira-chan
November 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM
The terminal length of hairs at the hairline tends to be short. This is because they are subject to both signaling from the vellus hairs that cover the skin and the head hair, this they are an intermediate length. I doubt anything can be done to them. This is hormonal control.

Kris Dove
November 15th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I have them too, and mine curl into proper ringlets, yet the rest of my hair is straight with a very slight wave. The only ways I've found to flatten them are using a styling product like gel(some people use aloe vera gel) or by straightening them, (which can damage your hair so is best avoided except for special occasions).

GlassEyes
November 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I chop them off. XD;

jera
November 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have those uruly short side hairs too. I have to use gel to control mine or they'd stick up like a rooster's comb. :D I'd recommend aloe vera gel. It's gentle.

RecklessCharlie
November 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. :)
I have seen people who don't seem to have these little hairline devils, with all their strands looking the same length. I suppose it is partly just what sort of hair you have.

angelthadiva
November 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
The terminal length of hairs at the hairline tends to be short. This is because they are subject to both signaling from the vellus hairs that cover the skin and the head hair, this they are an intermediate length. I doubt anything can be done to them. This is hormonal control.

I appreciate you sharing this info...I did not know this! :D

Thanks for the tips everyone. :)
I have seen people who don't seem to have these little hairline devils, with all their strands looking the same length. I suppose it is partly just what sort of hair you have.

Hairline devils :spitting: I love it! Oh, BTW, I have them too. I'm a chic, so no chopping them off for me...Plus it would give me an odd and crazy mulletish kinda look. :p

RecklessCharlie
November 15th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I'm a chick as well so the chopping is out for me also :)
(Don't let the 'Charlie' fool you, it is an old nickname courtesy of my family heheh!)
I also have a off-center widows-peak with this curl of hair that sticks out in the front and never grows. It has been gelled to near death many a time. Stubborn little blighter.

angelthadiva
November 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I'm a chick as well so the chopping is out for me also :)
(Don't let the 'Charlie' fool you, it is an old nickname courtesy of my family heheh!)
I also have a off-center widows-peak with this curl of hair that sticks out in the front and never grows. It has been gelled to near death many a time. Stubborn little blighter.

Oh, no my comment was about GlassEyes' suggestion to chop. He's dude and can get away with that look! ;)

RecklessCharlie
November 15th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Oh good, :D

GlassEyes
November 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Eh, I don't think women would look that odd either--it only shows when I have my hair up, and since I gel it back, it doesn't really look like there's hair missing...I think. Even if it does, at least they aren't sticking out. ARGH.

angelthadiva
November 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Eh, I don't think women would look that odd either--it only shows when I have my hair up, and since I gel it back, it doesn't really look like there's hair missing...I think. Even if it does, at least they aren't sticking out. ARGH.

Please post a pic of this. I have to see it. ;) I still don't think I can rock this look. My hair is up 99% of the time...The 1% is when I'm asleep!

GeoJ
November 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I have those too. They are at their unruly worst if I have my hair pulled back in a 'high' manner (like a half up or equivalent). If I part my hair and do a low updo, they are considerably less noticeable and easier to tame.

I usually just use a little coconut oil to weigh them down...but my hair doesn't easily take on an oily look. That might not work well for everyone.

RecklessCharlie
November 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Glasseyes, how exactly do you trim it? Do you shave it or use scissors? You can probably make it work for you - I have a feeling I would look like...someone who tried to cut off the annoying little hairs on the side of their head!

I may resort to this though, if they continue to drive me mad.

WaimeaWahine
November 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM
They are called baby hairs or halo hairs and they don't grow. Please do not chop them! :tmi:

I made the recent mistake of doing that. My hair is stick straight but the halo hairs just above my ears were about 4 inches long and wavy. Ponytails were a chore as I needed 2 curved bobby pins on either side to keep those hairs back.

Ringlets are gorgeous but not with stick straight hair in a pony with bangs. Doesn't work for me. So I cut them off! It's like having a mini-mullet. Not noticeable when my hair is down but when in a pony it makes me look like I have side burns! :nono: Now I will have to wait months for them to grow out again. Oh the shame.

Fractalsofhair
November 15th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Oh, I just call these sideburns. Or more female sideburns. If we're talking about neck hairs, those look normal. With the sideburns, I just push them behind my ears.

GlassEyes
November 15th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Please post a pic of this. I have to see it. ;) I still don't think I can rock this look. My hair is up 99% of the time...The 1% is when I'm asleep!
Tell you what--I'll get a picture tomorrow. I'm planning on wearing my hair up after I wash it anyway.

Also, I use scissors--I actually need to trim them again, a bit, but you'll get the idea.

MissManda
November 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I have those hairs, too. Most of them don't seem to grow, although I have recently observed that they've been getting longer than usual lately. They are super-soft and feel like feathers and like to stay at just the right length to constantly tickle my nose. Dealing with them is very frustrating. If I comb my hair while it is damp, I can sort of get them to stay. I'd like to get some aloe gel to help tame them.

angelthadiva
November 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Tell you what--I'll get a picture tomorrow. I'm planning on wearing my hair up after I wash it anyway.

Also, I use scissors--I actually need to trim them again, a bit, but you'll get the idea.

Okay, thanks! :flowers: