PDA

View Full Version : A little info and a few questions

MakeLoveNotWar
November 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
My hair is pretty damaged, but it's weird. The ends are actually fine, I just have a lot of breakage in the middle if that makes any sense, like around my neck area. Is there anyway I can just tidy this part up without cutting everything off? My second question: What is S&D? This is something I've seen all over the boards and I can't figure out what it means, and I'd like to know because it might benefit me. Third (and last I promise) I am looking to buy a deep or intensive conditioner, because this would also help out with the damage. Any suggestions for good ones, based on my problem? Thanks!

little_acorn
November 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Its possible that sort of breakage is due to ponytail holders. If thats the cause, the only way to fix it is to grow it out. Avoiding further use of ponytail holders and/or switching to something softer such as the terry ones or scrunchies or just using sticks will help. You could also try a SMT deep treatment or two (4 parts condish, 1part honey, 1 part aloe vera gel) - wash your hair, then put SMT on your hair (warm in microwave for 15s if your worried about honey lightening) wrap in clingfilm and towel (or similar) and relax for an hour or two. Then simply rinse out.

S&D = search and destroy, going through your hair to cut out individual splits.

These are just my thoughts but HTH :flower:

misstwist
November 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Also, are you certain it's damage and not a new growth line?

MommaRalph
November 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have a similar issue - ends of shortest layers splitting. Very hard to S&D. I am hoping that maybe it is new growth?! I hadn't considered that possibility before!

Valerie

jojo
November 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Try also using a light oil, like a few drops over the canopy, concentrating on the damaged bit, do this daily. I noticed a huge difference since using oils.

MakeLoveNotWar
November 15th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I was thinking about S&Ding but it seems like it would take forever, and I can't see the back of my head. Is there any way a salon would be able to do it?

JCFantasy23
November 18th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I would be careful with a salon, they may be able to S&D but you'd have to find someone you trust not to cut off too much. Could it be also from breakage from rubbing the back of a chair?

MakeLoveNotWar
November 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM
My hair is definitely not long enough to be rubbing up against the back of a chair yet, but it could be rubbing up against my pillowcase or my clothes. Maybe I just need to get my layers tidied up and that's what my problem is.

kimannabella
November 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Are you using hair elastics with metal on them,perchance?

flutterbudget
November 25th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I have some similar damage which I KNOW was from when I broke my leg last year. I had a terrible time taking good care of it and constantly had it in a wad sort of thing in a ponytail holder (the no metal kind, but still), which rubbed up against the cushions on the sofa where I was basically trapped for weeks on end. I stopped using ponytail holders on any kind of regular basis and I use extra (usually coney) conditioner on that section and it is generally not noticable.