PDA

View Full Version : Reason for worry? Or not?

GlassEyes
April 23rd, 2008, 09:39 AM
Well, as some of you know, I posted an update a day or two ago of my progress in hair growth and such.

I mentioned that my hair seemed thinner now, but I assumed it was because my layers were more weighed down or something.

However, now I'm not so sure.

It seems like I'm shedding more now too, and I'm not sure if that's paranoia or not. I pulled a strand of hair loosely from my head a few days ago and it terrified me.

And I can't ask my mom about it becasue she'll just think I am, once again, paranoid about my hair. -_-;; Even my friend Kayla doesn't think so. She raised a good point though in saying that it might be the henna because the curl pattern seems looser now too, but I have no idea. D:

Here's a comparison:

My update:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/PaulCarroll/Me/SD531690-1.jpg

My sig pic:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/PaulCarroll/Me/SD531350-1-2.jpg

It's like, loss of volume^6 power. D: Bleeeeeeh. T_T I'm slightly freaking. Just slightly.

lora410
April 23rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Well it's definetly not as poofy and your curls are alot looser, but it could be summertime shed. If you are papanoid maybe stop henna for awhile and see if that helps any.I think if you start seeing patches in your scalp then worry. Also you are a teenager so it could be testostrone levels or whatever you men go through. My hair is not as thick as when I was a teenager thats for sure :)

P.S also as you hair gets longer the extra weight will also pull your curls looser and make it look thinner.My dd has curls just like yours and about the same length, and hers are alot looser then when it was shorter.

Lixie
April 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Yep, it might be a seasonal shed. Don't panic yet, please!

Pegasus Marsters
April 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
It could just be the way your hair is growing? That can totally affect how it falls. Mine went through smallagain-bigagain-smallagain phases on its way to my shoulders.

salamander
April 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Your hair doesn't look thinner to me, it looks more moisturized. When my hair's dried out and neglected, it gets crazy poofy, like Hermione hair. If I do an oil treatment, it calms down and hangs more like normal hair, with less poof and more distinct curl. Have you stepped up the amount of moisture in your routine since you took your sig pic? That could explain the difference.

nienna42
April 23rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
I don't think you have much reason to worry. It's entirely possible that your curls are just getting weighed down because they're longer, because of the henna, or because you're taking better care of them--i.e. they're more moisturized. In this case, your hair might look less poofy, but you probably haven't actually lost much volume.

It might be a seasonal shed. Those drive me nuts, but at least it should stop soon.

It might just be that you're noticing the shedding more because you're paying more attention to your hair.

It might also be that your hair is actually getting a little thinner. I believe that's fairly common in the late teens to early twenties. I know my hair is thinner than it was in high school. But! Don't let that worry you too much. My hair is still plenty thick. I was playing around with my measuring tape the other night and trying to remember about how big around my ponytail used to look, and I estimate I lost maaaybe a quarter of an inch of volume. If you've got iii hair, that's not that big of a loss. As I've gotten used to it, I've actually kind of come to like it, because my hair is easier to manage.

Your hair still has a lot of volume, and your curls are gorgeous. Go take a look at all those lovely comments in your progress thread and relax. :)

Eirinn
April 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Well, as some of you know, I posted an update a day or two ago of my progress in hair growth and such.

I mentioned that my hair seemed thinner now, but I assumed it was because my layers were more weighed down or something.

However, now I'm not so sure.

It seems like I'm shedding more now too, and I'm not sure if that's paranoia or not. I pulled a strand of hair loosely from my head a few days ago and it terrified me.

And I can't ask my mom about it becasue she'll just think I am, once again, paranoid about my hair. -_-;; Even my friend Kayla doesn't think so. She raised a good point though in saying that it might be the henna because the curl pattern seems looser now too, but I have no idea. D:.

Welcome to the Shedding Paranoia Club:blueeek:

Ohio Sky
April 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
It does look like its lost a little bit of volume but its probably becasue of the length or henna. Seriously, if I had as much hair as you, I probably wouldnt worry too much about a little shedding. All those beautiful curls give your hair hair plenty of life and volume, its just going to go through different personalities as it gets longer.
Your hair is looking great.

Gladtobemom
April 23rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Since I've been using Henna, my waves are much smoother. My siggy pick is after drying my hair in a bun. If I plop and dry, it's ringlets and waves (loose Botticelli curls).

I have less frizz, looser curls, and my hair seems thinner because of the lack of frizz.

Remember that your hair still needs the moisture, curly hair is thirsty hair. I use 4 or 5 fingernail scratchings of coconut oil on my damp hair before I let it dry. I also spritz with a mixture of water and a little fractionated coconut oil. I sit the bottle in warm water for a few minutes, shake like crazy, then spritz. This seems to work wonders when I'm wearing curls.

Spring shedding is really common too.

HTH.

Irishred
April 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
/agree with everyone that has responded.

The henna, better care and growth are probably pulling it down some. Seasonal shed on top of the fact you are a 17 yo male and in hormone flux )that WILL affect your shed/growth rate), I would just try not to think about it for a while.

Your curls are very cute.

Rheia Althia
April 23rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
I go through seasonal changes with my hair when I notice some hairs falling out. I read somewhere that humans can lose up to 100 hairs a day as a natural process. I had to teach myself not to freak out anymore when it would do that.

You may want to check your scalp for new baby hairs. After a a week or so of shedding I will usually find brand new hairs growing :)

Naluin
April 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
I don't think you need to worry. Your curls look like they've loosened due to length and henna, but your hair doesn't look much thinner.

Great curls, btw. :flower:

spidermom
April 23rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
Your hair looks great. 9-9/10ths of the time, shedding is nothing to worry about. Mammals do that. At my last big shed (summer/fall 2005), I went from ponytail diameter of 4.2 to 3.8. Big whoop. Then I had thousands of baby hairs sticking up all over the place. Lovely. I'd rather have skipped the entire experience, but that's life with hair.

Islandgrrl
April 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about shedding or volume loss at this point. Henna will loosen your curls a bit and make things seem less voluminous, even though henna is thickening. I know my hair is straighter with henna than without, and definitely less poofy (I do have straightish hair to start with, but it's kind of coarse and not very smooth or slick). As for shedding, it's probably a cyclical, seasonal thing. Try not to obsess too much (yeah, I know, it's really tough not to). Just keep taking good care of your hair, which, by the way, is just incredibly beautiful!

Morticia
April 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! And shedding is seasonal for me. :)

Kirin
April 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Your hair seems sleeker, very shiny, and well taken care of. That said, your curls seem looser and smoother, ... if your hair was drier and not as well maintained it may have "felt" thicker due to roughness.

your hair also seems -longer-....... this may be why your noticing the shed more. I didnt notice so much when myhair was above my shoulders, but now i clog the drain. I'm sure i was shedding regularly before, just now there's more hair to find!

GlassEyes
April 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Okay, then I'l try to just ignore it for the time being unless it gets worse. xD

meichigo
April 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Not helpful, but, without knowing how tall you are, you could totally be a male model! What a face. And your hair is awesome.