PDA

View Full Version : Is oil good to massage the scalp with?

Samara
November 15th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm a bit confused about adding oil ( olive coconut, etc) directly to the scalp when conditioning or massaging. I've heard it is beneficial in one way, but it seems follicle clogging. What are your experiences?

Arctic
November 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Some people like it, others don't: I personally can't put oil on scalp or I get bad acne break outs. Some people experience (temporarily) more shedding if they oil the scalp. You'll need to try it yourself ;)

ericthegreat
November 15th, 2009, 11:55 AM
It depends on the individual Samara. Different people will have different experiences and results.

For some people, they have reported increased hair growth and thickness from massaging coconut oil into their scalps and all over their hair. However, many other people many tend to have an allergic reaction to having oil on their skin/ scalp or they tend to break out, so for them using oil is not a good option.

If you'd like, maybe try it just one time and then wash the oil out very well just to be safe, and see if the results are to your liking.

cakey_baby
November 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I use almond oil, which i dont think has as thick a texture as olive oil does. Ive been fine with it haven't seen any growth yet but it certainly adds shine and my hair seems to be getting a little thicker from it too.

zule
November 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I use jojoba oil because I like that it's thinner than olive, coconut or other oils. Currently, I'm not using it every day as I used to. But I liked it.

I'm not sure if just massaging alone would help, without the oil. I do think that manipulating my scalp like that made some resting phase hairs fall out. Or I was too rough somehow.

ravenreed
November 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I have a really temperamental scalp, but I have been doing a scalp oiling once a week with castor oil and I have noticed lots of little new hairs sproinging up. My new growth is always crazy wavy and never blends in with the rest until about 4 inches long so it is noticeable when I have lots going on. So far, I have had no scalp breakouts from either castor oil or coconut oil, and my scalp has always been prone to reacting badly to things it doesn't like. (For instance, Pantene gives me pea-sized cysts all over my scalp...)

I usually leave the oil on for about 30 minutes to an hour, and then CO as usual. The down side with castor oil is my hair does get oilier a little quicker than without it, but I consider it worth it. It just means I shampoo on day 2 instead of 3.

Melisande
November 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I massage my scalp with jojoba oil and essential oils every three to four days and leave the oil on over night, sometimes for two days. I love the effect it has on my hairgrowth and the quality of my new hair.

Isa-belle
November 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I love massaging my scalp with castor oil (usually mixed with a lighter oil such as almond oil) and EOs. I just spent the whole day with oil massaged over my scalp and length :)

clairenewcastle
November 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Although I've now given up using oil on my hair and scalp in favour of catnip rinses, in the past I would reguarly oil my scalp with jojoba oil for I felt it helped stimulate hair growth. I added various essential oils to the jojoba which I admit were more beneficial to the scalp than the hair, but overall I thoroughly reccommend oiling both the hair and scalp.

mira-chan
November 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Again to go along with what the others above are saying, it varies with individuals.

I oil my scalp. I have dry scalp and dry sebum. The only thing that moves the dry sebum is oil (like dissolves like). I oil with sesame, coconut and/or castor oils. Sesame I can put on as a leave in and not wash out.

RancheroTheBee
November 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I don't oil my scalp, as the sebum my scalp produces it already completely liquid and putting more oil on there usually makes my scalp smell rancid.

o_O: That was super TMI.

BranwenWolf
November 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
...only if I wanted the worst scalp pimples in the history of mankind.
Not sure how it would work for dry scalp as my scalp has never been dry.

ChloeDharma
November 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately people tend to think of oils as just "oil" and not realise there is alot of variation between different types. Also often people relate the wrd back to experiences/advice based on mineral oil eg "baby oil".
This is a shame as the properties/functions of oils can be extreemely beneficial, including countering excessive sebum production and treating acne. Jojoba is a good example of this, it's structure being similar to sebum makes it quite a good skin/scalp oil and in aromatherapy is often a first choice when treating a person with oily skin and/or acne. It helps to prevent hardened sebum blocking the pore, has antibacterial, antifungal and anti inflammatory properties....all likely to contribute to a healthy scalp.
Other oils can also be very beneficial, then adding essential oils, herb extracts etc add to the benefit and can encourage growth. The action of massaging the scalp gives further benefit by increasing circulation but also helps to remove build up keeping the scalp clear.
In my opinion oiling is good for the scalp, providing it's the right oil.....i may be criticised for saying this but IMO mineral oil based oils don't really serve a purpose for scalp oiling (they can on the length for protection but that's another discussion) however jojoba, coconut, sesame, olive, neem etc are all tools to help a person wanting to keep their scalp (and skin) as healthy as possible.

spidermom
November 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
For me, no. I think it would be awful. My scalp produces enough oil all by itself. I massage my scalp when I wash my hair; that seems best.