PDA

View Full Version : Heat Damage?

cakey_baby
November 15th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Hi Everyone, im new to this site just posted in the hello section. The longest ive ever had my hair is BSL throught school since then ive never had it longer than APL and im aiming for waist length. Just wondering ive straightened my hair for years at one point i was doing it almost every day and now its a awful frizzy mess when i leave it natural. I was planning on leaving my hair to dry naturally during the week and put it in a bun for work, but would it still be ok to straighten occasionally on weekends when im going out or would it really slow down the growing process? Im really new to all this and always neglect my hair so need some tips on how i can wear my hair without straightening it! Also does anyone know how i can get it back to its natural state? its so frizzy at the moment and i used to have really smooth hair with a slight wave ah how i wish i could go back to them days! lol

x x x

Kris Dove
November 15th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Maybe using some sort of styling product, like serum or curling creme could give your hair it's natural wave back and get rid of the frizzy appearance. Some people use oil for styling, although it tends to look greasy on fine blonde hair, so I don't.

Just baby your hair as much as you can, giving it regular moisturing treatments, perhaps trying oiling and CO washes (Conditioner Only) might work for you too.

I admit I straighten my hair occasionally, though not as often as every week(although I am naughty and use a blowfryer every time I wash it!). Once in a while won't hurt too much, just use a protective leave in to minimise damage, and avoid doing any other damaging things to your hair as much as possible. Or, as an alternative, try out some fancy updos or braiding* for going out.

ETA- *wearing your hair tighly braided all day then taking it out at night can create waves, like the ones in my signature pic.

I just noticed in your profile that you use Elvive, which I *think* might contain cones? Sometimes cones can weigh down, waves and curls, and trying a cone-free routine could help you get your waves back too.

cakey_baby
November 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Thank you for that, when you say condition only doe you mean putting it all over my hair and just leaving out the shampoo? Think i just need to start trying out some different products and maybe try another shampoo, im not sure what you mean by cones but will have a read through the forums now for more info.

Thank you again :D

jera
November 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Using heat and heat stylers wn't stop your hair from growing, but they may make your hair more susceptible to damage as you try to grow your hair long. :(

It took me almost 9 months after joining LHC to quit the blowfryer for good. :) Now, I can't imagine my hair blowdryed anymore. I'm sure a lot of other members have been through this same thing.