PDA

View Full Version : Interesting observation about no-cones

Tangles
November 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Is it possible for hair to become cone-intolerant?

I used Pantene shampoo for the first time in a while, not even the conditioner with it, and my hair has been velcro-y and snarly ever since. I don't remember having such a bad reaction to such a low dose of cones before. So--possible for hair to adapt to no-cones, or does the contrast just seem more pronounced now that I rarely use cones?

Elphie
November 14th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I chalked it up to just not being as aware of the texture of my hair as I am now. I borrowed some Pantene while I was away with friends and it felt fine the first day, but it felt coated and velcro-y on day two and I never have that with my cone-free stuff. I used Pantene for years, but that was a long time ago (HS) so maybe the formula is different now.

prittykitty
November 14th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Last time I tried my cone conditioner my hair felt very dry and looked shiny but frizzy.

teela1978
November 14th, 2009, 11:19 PM
could it just be that the shampoo was harsher than what you've been using, rather than the small amount of cones?

ericthegreat
November 14th, 2009, 11:38 PM
That's interesting indeed. I avoid cones myself since I CO with Suave's Tropical Cococut every night.

However, over this past summer I went to my friend Jason's house in the Rockaways. He lives just two blocks off the beach, so of course we went there and I took a swim. When we walked back to his house and I went to take a shower there, I saw that they only had Pantene Volume Conditioner. I made the decision to use the Pantene just that one time because using any conditioner was better than using no conditioner at all for my hair which is very coarse. When I applied that conditioner all over my hair, I actually found that it left my hair incredibly silky feeling and shiny, not at all drying and it was very easy to detangle my hair after I rinsed it out. I guess my hair can tolerate both a coneless routine and also a coney routine.

RancheroTheBee
November 15th, 2009, 01:15 AM
My hair can't tolerate 'cones anymore, actually. I think it's similar to what Elphie said, in that I just know now what it's like NOT to have 'cones in my hair, and now 'cones feel unpleasant.

jera
November 15th, 2009, 01:29 AM
My hair became intolerant to Aussie Moist and left me with the crunchies. :( Now I use Pantene Nature fusion condish and have had no problems at all ( so far ). :)

Lisbeth
November 15th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I've just gone back to cones after being no-cone for about 2 years. The first combo (shampoo and conditioner) I used when I switched back was pantene - I thought it would be nice because I used it about ten years ago all the time and had healthy tailbone length hair. I used it this time for about two weeks until I gave up. I had the same problem - made my hair dry, frizzy and disgusting.

I've recently switched to a different supermarket brand of sulfate/cone combo and have lovely silky, moisturised hair. So, I think in my case the pantene unfortunately doesn't work anymore. I'm assuming the ingredients have changed.

Of course it could just be that my hair was taking a long time to adjust to using cones and sulfates again. Not sure.

I thought the same thing as you - that perhaps my hair couldn't tolerate cones anymore, but now I've found something that works really well.

Hanamizu
November 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Sorry, I feel silly for asking. but what are cones?

Hanamizu
November 15th, 2009, 01:49 AM
double-post

vanillakiss
November 15th, 2009, 02:32 AM
silicones.

Flynn
November 15th, 2009, 03:27 AM
My hair can't tolerate 'cones anymore, actually. I think it's similar to what Elphie said, in that I just know now what it's like NOT to have 'cones in my hair, and now 'cones feel unpleasant.

I think I'll third that. Or fourth, or something.

I think you may either now be more aware, or the improvement from going no-cone was less than instant, (certainly wasn't for me...) and gave you time to forget just what it was like before.

Sorry, I feel silly for asking. but what are cones?

Silicones, also known as siloxanes. Long molecules made up of silicon and oxygen, which are something like partway between an oil and liquid glass. The idea behind using them in products is that they smooth the hair and give it "slip", but some people find it does the opposite, and makes their hair feel sticky, rough, rubbery and/or "velcroey".

On an ingredients list, they are anything ending in "-cone", for example amodimethicone, or containing "-silox-", like cyclopentasiloxane.

BlackfootHair
November 15th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Pantene shampoo tends to leave my hair feeling dry and tangled in the shower even. It's not till I slather in the wonderful conditioner does it feel better. My hair likes SLS better than ALS. Pantene shampoos use mainly ALS now. I have noticed that if I use a creamy coney leave in, then when I do shampoo, it seems fine. Even when I used Herbal Essences LTR my hair didn't like the shampoo.

With Pantene, I guess you are just expected to use lots of their coney products, so the shampoo is formulated to remove the extra?

Silver Strands
November 15th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Pantene shampoo tends to leave my hair feeling dry and tangled in the shower even. It's not till I slather in the wonderful conditioner does it feel better. My hair likes SLS better than ALS. Pantene shampoos use mainly ALS now. I have noticed that if I use a creamy coney leave in, then when I do shampoo, it seems fine. Even when I used Herbal Essences LTR my hair didn't like the shampoo.

With Pantene, I guess you are just expected to use lots of their coney products, so the shampoo is formulated to remove the extra?

I agree with this.
I can use SLS with no problems at all.
But the ALS causes tiny tangles and snapping sounds when combing or even running my fingers through my hair.
Some Pantene formulas have SLS but most are using the more harsh ALS now.

katha
November 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I colored my hair with indigo just a few days ago. Normally I don't use any cones, but to get rid of the dye I felt I had to use conditioner - the only one I had available had cones in it. That's two days ago and my hair feels greasy. It normally doesn't after only 2 days, so I'm blaming the cones. No idea what else it could be, really.

juliaxena
November 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Well Pantene shampoo IS so harsh it is suitable for cleaning rugs and not most people's hair.

Tangles
November 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I think you may either now be more aware, or the improvement from going no-cone was less than instant, (certainly wasn't for me...) and gave you time to forget just what it was like before.

I'd wager I've just forgotten what my hair was like before. I remember having hair past BSL for years in high school and college, and yet it was usually dry and looked like it needed a trim, when in reality it may just have been the products I was using.

RavennaNight
November 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I colored my hair with indigo just a few days ago. Normally I don't use any cones, but to get rid of the dye I felt I had to use conditioner - the only one I had available had cones in it. That's two days ago and my hair feels greasy. It normally doesn't after only 2 days, so I'm blaming the cones. No idea what else it could be, really.

Here's my personal observation: Cones=wash more. No cones=wash less. My hair feels dirtier sooner with cones. It's not bad if you don't mind washing your hair more. :shrug:

JamieLeigh
November 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I like to think that my scalp has adapted, instead of my hair. For one thing, my routine has been no-cone CO since January, and my scalp has definitely had to change the amount of sebum it releases, in order to exist in a more moisturized scalp environment. I'm not sure how individual hair strands would "adapt", since their chemical makeup doesn't change once they're out in the open, away from the scalp.

lucys
November 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I've just used Pantene again for the first time in ages (dunno why, guess it seemed like a good idea at the time) and I find it has made my hair very soft, but in a straight and very greasy feeling way. Now making plans to clarify and throw the stuff away. I guess it really isn't nice for my hair.

RavennaNight: totally agree with the wash more when using lots of cones, although for me it does depend on the cone. I haven't worked out exactly which ones are the bad ones for my hair though. Feel like I need to wash this every day...

halo_tightens
November 17th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I've been cone-free-and-loving-it for a while now, but for some reason I decided to use Pantene conditioner after my last wash. I just wanted to see what it would do, I guess, after staying away from it for so long.

Nothing horrible happened! My hair actually felt fine, slipperier than usual and very shiny! It didn't even take away my newfound waves.

So here's my theory-- In the past, I just used cones upon cones upon cones, without ever clarifying. I didn't know any better; I even used to CWC (using Pantene products) to try and help my dry hair, which now sounds to me like the ultimate way to maximize coney buildup! THIS is why the coney products were bad for me, not just because they contained the cones. I'm thinking that it would be okay for me to use them now and then, as long as I don't make it a regular thing or forget to clarify later on.