PDA

View Full Version : Questions for wavies

marikamt
November 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Since joining LHC, I have found my hair to be much wavier than I ever imagined (my whole life I thought I was 1a and in reality am 2a, maybe even b)

Do you find that as a wavy, following "curly hair" methods works best, or have you had to fine tune between the straighties and the curlies??

For me, I have had to fine tune....... my routine is much, much better than it ever was, but it is still not perfect.

I know curlies are complete moisture addicts... I definitely need moisture (and no cones) to bring out my waves, but too much moisture and it seems to defeat the purpose.....

It seems as a wavy, there is a fine line with too much and not enough......

what have you noticed about your wavy hair?

Boudicca
November 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I find that a lot of curly hair stuff helps - but to get much more lightly on the oil and gel. ALos, wavy hair is good at holding different curl shapes, so you can experiment with ringlets, etc.

danacc
November 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM
The only leave-in I use is a very, very tiny amount of oil. For me, adding a tiny bit of moisture helps best. Also, I don't detangle when my hair is wet like many curlies report doing. My waves retain definition with dry-combing/detangling, and I get less breakage that way.

I have completely forsaken the brush, though. My waves stay much better behaved with wide-toothed combing. I'll use a fine-toothed comb for smoothing already-detangled hair into up-do's.

Backliteyes
November 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I think a lot depends on whether you are a course haired wavy or a fine haired wavy. Being finer haired, I can't go as heavy on the moisture as many of the curlies, or my hair gets limp or greasy looking. Lots of fine haired curlies run into this too, though.

However, cutting out sulfate shampoos and even co-washing really helped my waves be more soft, shiny, more defined, and less frizzy. Before that I figured frizz was just a birthright and there wasn't much I could do about it without straightening.

Naamah
November 14th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I've recently discovered my waves, too. Only about a few days ago. :) I know that my hair loves conditioner, so I CO wash, and letting my hair air dry after a shower WITHOUT combing brings out my waves. I always put some conditioner on the length of my hair as a leave in, I haven't tried putting oil in it while it's wet yet. I'm not sure how it would work, as I have fine hair. I'll be watching this, as I'm curious too.

jera
November 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I'm stunned by my previously stick straight blow fried hair's natural waviness. :) But, I like it, and to answer your question, I choose the middle ground between curly and straight. Using curly hair products does not work for me at all. But Keratin is great if you want to try something to smooth and tame your waves as they grow.

I love being a wavy head.

:cheese:

jojo
November 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I am a wavey head, which is just getting wavy and boardering on wurly. My hair is baby fine yet loves loads of moisture, I CO wash, use oils daily and bun, i also do 2 DC a week. My hair loves this, I will shampoo if my hair feel it needs it but I use diluted, sulphate free poo.

So far in 3 weeks I have had it once shampooed by my HD last week when i got my highlight roots done, my hair is the healthiest it has ever been and seems to grow quicker if I keep it moisturised.

Cherry_Sprinkle
November 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
curly routines for me.. the more moisture the better

Eden Iris
November 14th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Some curly stuff works for me: no brushing ever, tons of moisture and oil, limited washing. I do not detangle wet, though; I wait until it's mostly dry.

klcqtee
November 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I've found that too much moisture tends to weigh my hair down and make it less wavy and more flat, but not enough makes it frizz out and lose all it's shape.

marikamt
November 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I'm stunned by my previously stick straight blow fried hair's natural waviness. :) But, I like it, and to answer your question, I choose the middle ground between curly and straight. Using curly hair products does not work for me at all. But Keratin is great if you want to try something to smooth and tame your waves as they grow.

I love being a wavy head.

:cheese:

What is and where does one find keratin???

Flynn
November 15th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I definitely have to adapt to something inbetween. I can't not brush; you can see the tangles. So I brush when dry when I have to, and twist it until it settles down again.

I do brush in the shower with heaps of conditioner, but the "curly girl" method where you brush the conditioner out, rather than washing it out, leaves my hair looking stringy and greasy. If they were curls, they'd look fine. In waves? Yuck. I leave-in a little bit of my normal conditioner, sometimes, and I often oil lightly.

You're on the Wavy and Wurly thread, right?

What is and where does one find keratin???

Protein; the same one your hair is made of. It is in commercial treatments like Joico's K-Pak (my favourite, in spite of the perfume.) It seems to make a difference.

noelgirl
November 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM
My experience seems to be more similar to the fine-haired wavies here - some curly methods help, but some techniques leave my hair stringy, with buildup. It takes some picking and choosing.

Pear Martini
November 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I'm a 2a with thick hair and ever since I stopped heat styling my hair has been doing exactly what I want it to do.

If I want it straight, after I comb out all of the waves while damp with a comb that is made from combing wet hair. I might do it twice to keep it straight.

When I want it wavy, curly products (mousee)I am unsure if they damage your hair in the long run so I avoid them and just slather a gob of leave in or a wee bit of oil which helps the waves do their thing

Also I find letting my hair dry while up in a messy bun yields some of the biggest fluffiest wave.

gibsongirl71
November 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I do walk a fine line. Too much conditioning is bad and too little is also bad. Oils do nothing for my hair. The only one I have had luck with is Ojon oil product. It is very easy to weigh my hair down. But if I don't use something it frizzes. Gaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! The curly hair products do work pretty well. But my hair is unpredictable, at best.

Flynn
November 16th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I do walk a fine line. Too much conditioning is bad and too little is also bad. Oils do nothing for my hair. The only one I have had luck with is Ojon oil product. It is very easy to weigh my hair down. But if I don't use something it frizzes. Gaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! The curly hair products do work pretty well. But my hair is unpredictable, at best.

All oils are not created equal. What have you tried so far?

JamieLeigh
November 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I have also noticed that there is a very fine line between too much moisture and not enough. My hair drinks up oil like crazy when I apply it - an hour passes and it feels like it was never in at all....but if I were to reapply it that same day, it would end up feeling greasy. It can be annoying, and I think it might be harder for us wavies to find a good routine that works well for us. I've finally settled for CO washing, with once a week oil application and once a month, if that, shampoo to clarify. So far, so good, keeping my fingers crossed! :p

Sheltie_Momma
November 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I have found my hair to actually have two or three full barrell curls the other day. I mean, wow. I am coming to terms with not having the slickery straight hair I have always coveted. What I have is, uh..volume. I look at the volumizing commercials and scoff. Hah. I am whurly - hear me roar!!!

Preramble over.. I find I must pick and choose. I have stopped brushing and all heat, it has made a huge difference. On really humid days though, I just wrestle it up and forget it.

Pear Martini
November 16th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I have also noticed that there is a very fine line between too much moisture and not enough. My hair drinks up oil like crazy when I apply it - an hour passes and it feels like it was never in at all....but if I were to reapply it that same day, it would end up feeling greasy. It can be annoying, and I think it might be harder for us wavies to find a good routine that works well for us. I've finally settled for CO washing, with once a week oil application and once a month, if that, shampoo to clarify. So far, so good, keeping my fingers crossed! :p

The same thing happens to me. We must have similar hair types, maybe I will copy you and only shampoo once a month. I need to use less poo but I wasnt sure how much less than I already do.