PDA

View Full Version : Styling help - what should I use?

Boudicca
November 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I wonder if anyone could offer some advice. I've decided to wear my hair down to a party this Christmas. I'd ideally like slightly piecey curls/waves, with some volume around my face. No frizz!!!!!!

Some background info.

My hair is hip length (with braid waves - when it's wet it rests on my thighs). It has a real tendency to curl; if I twist my wet braid tassel round my finger the hair will ringlet and hold that shape. I tried bendy rollers once, and my hair took such a curl that it shrank up to my shoulders!

It's quite fine and flyaway. My hair waves nicely if braided wet, although the canopy will frizz up quite quickly when it's out of the braid. If I let it dry itself I look like a banshee - no matter how well-conditioned my hair is. I've never dyed, permed, or straightened.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

ETA - this is the sort of thing I'm after: http://static.px.yelp.com/bphoto/m132LPRRLD_niBFv9btwiw/l

Heidi_234
November 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Is your hair curly or wavy or what?
To combat frizz I would suggest mixing aloe vera gel with coconut oil (50/50 mix) and apply it. It really helped me combat frizz well. As for the curls or waves, I'm not sure how your hair behaves on it's own. The picture reminds me of the curls/waves I get if I dry my hair in a rope braid, then take it out and french braid it.

lapushka
November 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM
This might help:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

Boudicca
November 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM
The picture reminds me of the curls/waves I get if I dry my hair in a rope braid, then take it out and french braid it.

Almost spot on! My hair there had been rope braided and then finger combed out.

I think my hair is more wavy than curly - although it does do the odd ringlet curl. If left to its own devices (ie. air dried and not touched) it goes very frizzy and flyaway, with irregular waves. I braid it to get some control over it. It is oddly..ductile, if that's the right word. It will curl quickly and to the extreme if twisted round rollers, etc.

I've got aloe vera gel, so I could give that a bash.

Boudicca
November 14th, 2009, 12:47 PM
This might help:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

Those would be perfect, if I could get them right from the scalp. I might have an experiment over the weekend...

SurprisingWoman
November 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Have you thought about large rollers? Orange juice or limeade juice size?

I wonder how those would work with your curls.

Boudicca
November 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Have you thought about large rollers? Orange juice or limeade juice size?

I wonder how those would work with your curls.

Firstly - OMG, your hair is stunning!

Secondly, I've been trying to get hold of those big rollers, but they all seem to be the velcro kind, which I don't want to put in my hair. I'll keep trying.

Heidi_234
November 16th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Almost spot on! My hair there had been rope braided and then finger combed out.

I think my hair is more wavy than curly - although it does do the odd ringlet curl. If left to its own devices (ie. air dried and not touched) it goes very frizzy and flyaway, with irregular waves. I braid it to get some control over it. It is oddly..ductile, if that's the right word. It will curl quickly and to the extreme if twisted round rollers, etc.

I've got aloe vera gel, so I could give that a bash.
I think you might be curlier than you think you are. You say it does few odd ringlets but also it's generally frizzy. The frizz might be indicator to badly formed curls actualy. :D

Did you try to leave conditioner in? Did you try scrunching? Did you try flopping? Most of it probably unfamiliar to you, you can always check the wurly curly thread for more advice.

ericthegreat
November 16th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Boudicca, since your hair holds natural waves very well, I would apply a light styling gel or a mousse to your hair when damp, that give you the hold that you want. Then, buy a pack or two of self holding rollers and set your hair into the rollers. If you have a hair dryer, you can use the hairdryer on the rollers to dry it faster or if you are patient you can sit for the several hours it would take for it to naturally dry. When you take them out, you will have sexy, gorgeous curls that will last for days!

Boudicca
November 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hi guys. Thanks to everyone again for the advice.

Well, I tried the rollers. Oh dear. My hair is just so contrary. It decided, on this occasion, to not hold very much curl at all. It also looked very blowzy. I think it might have something to do with the texture - it is very fine and flyaway.

Well, the next experiment will be the bendy rollers and a product sprayed in at the roots to give some lift. I'll report back :D

manderly
November 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I agree with Heidi, I think you're curlier than you think.

Perhaps an experiment with a leave in (even just regular conditioner) plus some styling gel and scrunching your hair. I think you'll get some nice curls. :)

Once you determine if your hair can do that, to get those bigger, looser curls, try using the "supersoaker" method and essentially scrunching MORE water into your hair, or not towel drying. The wetter your hair is when you let the curls form, the larger and looser the curl :)