PDA

View Full Version : Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Curlsgirl
March 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I started a temporary one over on the Beauty Bottle but wanted to start another one over here. I NEED you people! :D

How's everyone doing? Will you be glad when warmer weather gets here or not (that is if you are in a cold weather region right now :) ) I will be very glad! My curls do much better in the summer:sun:!

I hate washing it in the winter. It's so cold as it's drying!

Check in WURLIES AND CURLIES! :flower:

nappywomyn
March 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Hullo!!! I'm QUITE curly indeed - I don't think I was on the old thread, but - I think I'm going to be so much more involved - it's so easy to join in on a thread when it's stilll short! ;)

CurlyNinja
March 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I'm a new curly! That is...not that I'm new to being a curly, but new to being an LHC curly! :D

Curlsgirl
March 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Welcome!!! You can ask questions to other curlies here or share frustration, whatever you want! We use to have a 2c/3a thread AND a 3b/3c thread but I thought it would be nice just to have all the curlies on one! I am in the middle and since I am starting the thread then I CAN :p lol!

Mahars
March 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
How's everyone doing? Will you be glad when warmer weather gets here or not (that is if you are in a cold weather region right now :) ) I will be very glad! My curls do much better in the summer:sun:!
I hate washing it in the winter. It's so cold as it's drying!

:flower:

Ooh yes, I can't wait for summer either. I've just always been a warm weather kinda girl. I know sun is bad for hair and skin, but I swear it makes my hair better. Plus, I hate washing in the winter too, especially because it takes my hair about 5 hours to dry!

Xandergrammy
March 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM
A wurly girl here!!! I'm glad to see this thread has been started.

Leni

nappywomyn
March 9th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Ooh yes, I can't wait for summer either. I've just always been a warm weather kinda girl. I know sun is bad for hair and skin, but I swear it makes my hair better. Plus, I hate washing in the winter too, especially because it takes my hair about 5 hours to dry!

Oh me too!!! I can't WAIT for summer! I live in the Southern US, and it gets humid here, and my hair simply ADORES the moisture in the air. And, I'm REALLY looking forward to my summer growth spurt this year, too.
Besides, I just generally love warm weather!

coppercurls
March 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I am glad that we are supposed to have nice spring weather this week. I can do without the extreme heat & humidity though.

Our weather has been so weird around here of late, warm & sunny one day and cold & snowy the next. See my siggie pic? Notice the short sleeve T-shirt at sunset? It snowed the next day! I just want some sunshine!

Smokie
March 9th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Curly girl checking in! I've got the 3b/c thing going. A bit of 3a in there too I think. My hair's insane. It's doing well enough though. Currently refusing to stay in a chinese bun but I'll redo it soon's we're out of queue here and I have time to take off my headset before my phone starts ringing again.

Been experimenting with glycerin mixed with my aloe gel and oil that I normally use to keep the frizzies down and the whispies tucked away. Holy cow. My hair seems to love it. Made it through ten hours of "put headset on, take headset off, put hood on, take hood off, put headset on, repeat" and the whispies were still firmly in place, no frizz, and my curls (yay ponytail!) were still quite nice despite my playing with them all night. Haha.

Otherwise, I'm still figuring out the routine (fiddling with the conditioner part. I need it and can't seem to find something good for me that my hair and scalp agree on) and making small adjustments constantly. Don't see my curls much, but I know they're there. ;)

Starr
March 9th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Hey everyone! I'm glad to see that there's a Curly/Wurly thread going being restarted!

I've been slightly irrated with my hair since I haven't actually done anything with it for the past few weeks and it seems to be at a growth stall, but I can't complain about the weather (it's been between 60-80 degrees here all winter).

I've been noticing an overall decrease in volume lately and I can't decide if I like it or not- before my hair was too big and now I just don't know.

Patchouli
March 10th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Hello, I'm another newbie with curls!
I can't wait for summer AND for my hair to get longer - much easy to manage then!

MerryKat
March 10th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Hi all
I am a wurly who is looking forward to winter, I am tired of being boiled - the weather has been rediculous this year.

I have been Water Only or No Water in some form since mid-2006. My hair loves WO and NW but seems happiest with NW (no frizzing and fly aways) - and I love the simplicity of this routine.

Thanks to NW and sleeping with my hair in a scrunchie bun, I have beautiful even waves that look marvellous most days.

WavyGal
March 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Wurly/Curly girl here!:D I am ready for Spring and Summer! This winter has been brutal with my curls. My curls and waves have not cooperated so far! One day I'll get bouncy ringlets, the next day I'll get wimpy waves. I can live with waves, but strong waves. Not the weak waves I got when I washed my hair and let it air dry the last time.:rolleyes:

Curlsgirl
March 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM
OOOOooooooooooooooooo "BIG SQUEAL!!!!"

It's so good to see everyone! :grouphug:

far_away
March 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hi all,

I'm more a whirley than a curley - my sister got the ringlets but has hair so short you can't appreciate them... yes, I have curl envy.

Winter has come back to Britain today in the wettest most horribly windily bad-for-your-hair way possible. I can't wait for summer, especially as my scalp and waves loves the heat of summer.

nappywomyn
March 10th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Ooooh, there are so many of us!!

Starr - do you think it might be because your hair is getting longer, and part of the volume was from the curl, and since your hair is heavier, the curl is dropping out - along with the volume?

Merrykat - does your hair tangle, much? How do you deal with that, and stay WO?

Katze
March 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
"frizzy straightie/barely wavy" here! I have some bumps on the crown, S-waves starting at the ears, and some spirals on the length and at the nape. No idea (still) what type I am, but my hair acts like wavy hair so here I am!

Spring is finally coming which means it's not freezing anymore, and there are occasional breakthroughs of sun. And everything is blooming. Last Spring my hair grew like crazy, but mostly in terms of baby hairs.

I've been going through insane amounts of shedding this winter, and winter is long here, so my hair is thin at the temples and I am honestly afraid to measure its thickness. Hoping that more long hairs are growing - I seemed to shed out the longest ones. Still have those baby hairs sticking up all over though. Weird.

However I have saved those shed hairs and am making a rat to play with some crazy poofy 'dos - did one the other day and while I felt like a beehive bouffant weirdo, I got a lot of compliments on it. That and being able to wear my hair down, and wavy, is making it feel like it's more hair than it is.

Yay for waves!

Faepirate
March 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Wurlie here! :]

Count me in the can't-wait-for-summer crowd... it's far too windy, rainy and cold to dare let my hair down AT ALL at the moment, which means it's always twisted up in a bun or a clip and therefore is constantly kinky and weird. I may be the only one who ever sees it being kinky and weird, but it still annoys me. ALAS.

redcelticcurls
March 10th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Another curly checking back in!

I had a change of living arrangements right after Thanksgiving that left my computerless. When I got back online, the site was down, lol.

I had a lovely 3 inch cut in January that was so helpful to my curls. My ends needed it, and my curls perked up a bit.

It made me rethink my length goals as I don't want to sacrifice curl for length.

This winter has been pretty good for my hair - nothing like last winter. I give credit to a product/routine line that works for me.

I'm glad to be back seeing the other wavies/curlies.

Starr
March 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Ooooh, there are so many of us!!

Starr - do you think it might be because your hair is getting longer, and part of the volume was from the curl, and since your hair is heavier, the curl is dropping out - along with the volume?

I only think that's part of it because my hair has been stalled at this length for about 3-4 months now. I think it also has a lot to do with the increased condition of my hair, not as dry= not as poufy. I've always a lot of frizz going on , but lately since my curls have been in near frizzless shape, there hasn't been much volume either. And while I love that my curls are looking less frizzy and more defined, something I prayed for years, it's strange to not be the girl "with the big hair" anymore.

Mahars
March 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
It's so cool to see other curlies and wurlies like me. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what your number 1 best curly hair tip is. What's the one thing you can't live without?

CurlyNinja
March 10th, 2008, 03:54 PM
it's strange to not be the girl "with the big hair" anymore.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Since my hair shaped up and stopped being so poofy when I changed how I took care of it, I've been mostly glad to have such well-defined, frizzless curls.

On the other hand, I think I got really attached to being a "big hair" kind of girl, and it's hard not to have that identity to lean on. It's who I was for so long, and so while I like my "new" hair, I kind of miss my old mystique more than I miss the actual "old hair."

Maybe part of the reason I want long hair is that it's a replacement for "big hair."

jojo
March 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
im a wurly curly! 2b/c my front is more curly than wurly though! nice to see fellow wurly curlies, my hair hates winter cant wait also for summer when i can just let my hair go curly wurly wild!

thetokenlady
March 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Wurly girl here, hi everyone! :waving: 2c/3a and can't wait for it to warm up and get a bit of humidity in the air. I'm either staticy frizz or controlled-but-greasy from using the shea butter to try and keep my hair less dry. I love my wurls but they don't love winter!

Just now I'm washing every 4-5 days, but every morning I get my hair wet in the shower and put some conditioner on the ends. I put my shea/coconut/jojoba mixture on the ends morning and night. Yep, it takes that much stuff to keep my ends from drying out to where they break! (It doesn't help that my ends have some old chemical dye on them, I trim once in a while but don't want to lose the 3" it would take to get rid of the dye)

redcelticcurls
March 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
It's so cool to see other curlies and wurlies like me. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what your number 1 best curly hair tip is. What's the one thing you can't live without?

My number one tip would be to be sulfate free, though this doens't work for everyone. I guess that for me it plays into moisturization. Sulfates take it away from me. More moisture = better curls. Drier hair = less curl.

The one thing I cannot live without is conditioner!! I am loving two right now.

Curlsgirl
March 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Curly Ninja and Starr, I used to have big hair too! I think it started finally growing down at about 25 inches or so LOL! I don't miss it at ALL!

Mahara, The one product or thing I couldn't do without as a curly would be probably coconut oil if I HAD to pick one. AG re:coil would be a close second as far as a product is concerned.

If there was a tip I would say NOT trying to straighten my hair with a blow dryer, brush or iron!!! I do this VERY occasionally now like once or twice a season if that much. Otherwise I let my hair dry by itself or use a blow dryer very sparingly just to get some of the moisture out on cold days.

Xandergrammy
March 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM

My number 1 wurly tip is to not touch my hair when it's wet. AT ALL

Curlsgirl
March 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM
My number 1 wurly tip is to not touch my hair when it's wet. AT ALL

Oooooooooooo that's good! Yes! Me too!!!

JKRBeloved
March 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM
The most important things I've learned (since realizing I AM a wurlie, not just a frizzy head) is to use some leave-in product, scrunch, gently rearrange or pincurl any misbehaving bits of curl, and then DON'T touch.

funnybunny668
March 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Another wurly checking in!

maskedrose
March 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Another wurley here! I also can't wait for warmer weather - my ends are so dry right now that I've been soaking them in coconut oil every night, which has improved things a bit but not by much. I also haven't had time to do any SMTs lately, but I do have the night off tonight so maybe I'll do some hair pampering...

Its so nice to see everyone again!! I missed this place so much...and now I know that I am officially an LHC addict - the withdrawl symtoms were terrible ;)

wishfulthinking
March 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Another wavy here. I am still working on the air dry with curl definition thing. I can say that my hair has gotten wavier once I cut out sulfates and did co washing.

witchhazel
March 10th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hello all,

Soooo delighted that LHC is back! I'm a 3A - it was really rainy here in London today - and my hair loved it - all curls and no frizz! Not a consistent reaction to rain but very pleasing.

kmoffett
March 10th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I was on the old wurlies thread, as well, and I'm glad to see that it's been started back up! Starr, I just wanted to say that I think your hair is FABULOUS in your siggy! And I love seeing some old familiar faces!

Curlsgirl
March 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Redcelticcurls, it's SO good to see ya! I LOVE your siggy pic! Soooooooooooo romantic!!!

I love seeing everybody back here!

Mahars
March 10th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I totally agree with not straightening. I used to be caught up in a vicious cycle of flat-ironing my hair every day and then wondering why it looked so frizzy on the days that I dared to wear it natural.

I also agree with the leave-in idea. I had no idea I had curls (instead of a frizz ball) before I started putting products in my hair. I used to love Graham Webb Making Waves, but it has some pretty icky ingredients, so I stopped. I'm going to try the BWC leave-in now that curlsgirl suggested.

Cichelle
March 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Curly checking in! I missed you all!

I'm looking forward to the summer. However, we are moving down south and I have no idea what that will mean to my hair. I know that my hair LOVES humidity/moist environment. So, I'm hoping for the best. I'm concerned about the water (hard/soft?), but it can't be worse than what we have now as far as iron in the water.

My hair is doing pretty well. The shrinkage is still going strong. Let's just call it interesting that, when stretched, my hair is near hip, but curly it likes to shrink up to bsl. :rolleyes: But, I really can't complain. I do really enjoy my hair.

I'm so glad to see this thread!

coppercurls
March 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM

No heat & lots of moisture. :)

redcelticcurls
March 10th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Redcelticcurls, it's SO good to see ya! I LOVE your siggy pic! Soooooooooooo romantic!!!

I love seeing everybody back here!

Thanks Curlsgirl, it's great seeing everyone. I was off-line for about 10 weeks, then when I got back on-line, the site was down. Lol.

To me, curly care can be different than straight care, so it's nice to have a curly-wurly thread here.

That siggy pic is just three buns shaped in a pyramid
. .

Then they are decorated.

You just can't tell because updos are hard to decipher on curls. :lol:

ReadingRenee
March 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Im a wurly and I too can't wait for spring and summer. my hair really seems to love humidity. And where I live its plentiful in the warmer months.

What I can't live without? Mmm leave in condish has really been a lifesaver for me. I vary the kind but its always good to have that extra moisture.

~*BeautyWitch*~
March 10th, 2008, 09:28 PM
CONDITIONER!! lol, I can't do without conditioner, I use it for just about everything to de-tangle, moistuize, as a leave-in.

My hair love the Spring/Summer months too and I can't wait to co-wash everyday and just wear my hair loose.

RedButterfly
March 10th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I'm a curly - 3a/b. My hair gets wavier the longer it gets, though. When I don't use gel, I lose a lot of curl on day 2 and 3 after washing. I'll post a photo here at LHC soon.

auntdaisy
March 11th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Count me in! I'm still trying to figure out this curly care business...my hair is a bit of a mess. I need to find what works, but most days don't have the patience for experimenting :rolleyes:

far_away
March 11th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I use some sort of leave in either gel or cream. I think that the Body Shop's brasil nut curl cream is one of the best products I've found so far (I try not to use products that could or have been tested on animals). I lose all curl on day 2 if I don't use something.

CitznMag
March 11th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Hey Curlies! So glad to have LHC back! Gonna do some reading to get myself reacquainted again.

Have a good curly day!

velvetcat
March 11th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I'm a wurly...but sometimes I think my hair is faking it.

After I wet my hair (wash, wet, doesn't matter) and let it air dry (works better plopped) my curls show through. The weight tends to pull them into S-shaped braid waves until the bottom few inches, where the curl shows...and I love it. I feel so graceful and beautiful.

Then I braid or bun it, and all shape vanishes! Instantly my hair is flat and nearly straight. It won't perk up again without some moisture.

I'm always trying to figure out a good routine, to get that (close) to perfect hair....
Perfect hair being curly, soft, and thick (and long too of course!)
I've tried CO
I've tried oiling (makes my hair crunchy)
I've tried cones and without cones (perfer without)

Everything seems to make my hair go flat and eliminates those oh so delicate curls...

Suggestions?
(I might also add I'm looking for something new because my scalp has started to oil up faster than it used to and I'm getting something that looks suspiciously like acne on my scalp, except it doesn't hurt, and I can just sorta scratch if off.....TMI I know)

I use Suave Aloe and Waterlily (love the smell!) for shampoo and condish. No other steps.

Ocassionally I'll SMT.

help?

Curlsgirl
March 11th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Hey Velvetcat! Could it be the conditioner? I found Suave of most kinds just didn't do well on my hair for some reason, left a sort of heavy feeling or something. VO5 and Giovanni do much better for me and leave my hair much lighter. Do you CWC? That has helped me a lot too and also rinsing very well. Have you tried plopping? All of these things you may already have tried but are just some suggestions. CO is definitely not for me and really weighs my hair down as it gets longer. Shampoo strips my length too much but CWC is just right. I use a lot of conditioner on my length and let it sit for a few minutes before I shampoo with just a little shampoo. Every once in a while I add a little shampoo to my length to get rid of any buildup there might be. I never use cones anymore and that REALLY helps.

Lamb
March 11th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Hello everyone, 3a/F/ii checking in! I agree with Curlsgirls about the warm weather. Mostly because I cannot get my ration of outdoor exercise with about 30 cm snow covering the sidewalks, and my hair suffers from indoor air and inactivity. :(
Apart from that, my hair is more or less okay - I use very little shampoo nowadays and it seems to help my dry ends to only use a bit of diluted shampoo on my scalp, mostly along the hairlines, but that every day.

Curlsgirl
March 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hello everyone, 3a/F/ii checking in! I agree with Curlsgirls about the warm weather. Mostly because I cannot get my ration of outdoor exercise with about 30 cm snow covering the sidewalks, and my hair suffers from indoor air and inactivity. :(
Apart from that, my hair is more or less okay - I use very little shampoo nowadays and it seems to help my dry ends to only use a bit of diluted shampoo on my scalp, mostly along the hairlines, but that every day.Hi Lamb! Good to see you check in! Did you decide to keep letting your hair grow? Am I remembering correctly that you had thought about cutting?:eek:

rhubarbarin
March 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Hi Curlsgirl! I think it's a great idea to have one big wurly curly thread.. I used to post on both the old ones, cause like you I am right in the middle. While my hair can sometimes be more wavy than curly, it's still spirals (just big loose ones) and I find that products/techniques that work for the 3b/c crowd are often the ones that work for me.

And hello to everyone else too. *waves*

Since the new board has been up I've been hearing a lot about glycerin, and I am interested in trying it. Where can you get it? Whole Foods? That's where I get my conditioners, oils and aloe gel.

My hair has been doing pretty well.. I've only been cone free since November and it's made a world of difference. I'm now protein-free too, I tried some coditioners with protein and they do NOT work for me. My hair is very damaged still and I have a lot of work and trimming to do before it is really healthy but it looks so much better (and it so much easier to manage!) than just a few months ago, I can't complain.

This year I am actually looking forward to summer. In the past, with my heavily coned hair, it was the worst time of year. My hair would expand into enormous, dry frizz-tubes at the slightest hint of humidity. However in the last couple months I've developed the opposite problem.. my hair gets greasy and weighed down very easily. Like Starr I'm finding it weird to not have 'big hair' anymore. I always hated it in the past, but now I am at a loss when it comes to creating volume since I've never had to do it before! The key for me though is just that I need less and less product as time goes on, and I've stopped using oils except for DTs.

angelthadiva
March 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Don't let the siggy pic fool ya! That's what my hair looks like after a blow out and flat iron! :) Wurly girl checking in!

bowie
March 11th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'm a curly too. I have a new persona here---I was Bowie previously. Could not for the life of me recall my password...so new person, sorta.

Anyhoo--My favorite products are--presently;)--OJON restorative treatment: stinky but effective DT. DevaCurl One Conditioner daily or every other day use. DevaCurl No Poo: main source of cleansing. Bumble and Bumble Curl Creme for thick hair--good hold. DevaCurl Angell--may re-try this. Love the scent and I think the bumble is drying out my hair a wee bit. Kerastase Oleo-Curl is a good line for oil and moisture. Yes--it has cones. I am not anti-cone, sometimes I need them to give a little bit of control. I am thinking of growing to BSL since I am a few inches away at this point. Problem is, I like to put my hair up and when it is close to BSL it gives me a headache and neckache. Winter is murder on my hair. Drying, etc. Summer and Spring are heaven for it. I also like Curlkeeper for a bit of hold and control without weighing it down.

Stacy_E
March 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
A wurly checking in! I am so grateful for the tips I've learned here to enhance my waves, in a hair-healthy way! No sulfates, no cones, no blowdyring, lots of conditioner and moisture, oils, and a bit of aloe as leave-in have worked well for me. I look at the difference in my siggy pictures (below) and I am so pleased to see that my hair looks wavier than a year ago!

tomm
March 11th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread - hi, everyone!

I love your tip, Xandergrammy! It is one rule I actually am good at following!

Curlsgirl
March 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM
This year I am actually looking forward to summer. In the past, with my heavily coned hair, it was the worst time of year. My hair would expand into enormous, dry frizz-tubes at the slightest hint of humidity. However in the last couple months I've developed the opposite problem.. my hair gets greasy and weighed down very easily. Like Starr I'm finding it weird to not have 'big hair' anymore. I always hated it in the past, but now I am at a loss when it comes to creating volume since I've never had to do it before! The key for me though is just that I need less and less product as time goes on, and I've stopped using oils except for DTs.
You sound exactly like me!!!!! I was thinking this this morning as I woke up. I remember for so long having to "mash down" my hair to no avail really and I just could not weigh it down enough! I got my glycerin at Earth Fare which is a lot like Whole Foods I think. I add a couple of drops to my mister and am sort of undecided whether it does anything or not at present! In fact, the mister hasn't had much use this winter because it seems to make my hair tangly and frizzy :mad: I also am doing amazingly better since I have been totally cone-free. I used to use them occasionally and then finally made a total break and I will never go back. (that is unless I change my mind ha ha)

quidscribis
March 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Howdy, y'all! Please don't hate me - I miss winter. Haven't seen winter in five years. On hot days here, I'd like nothing more than to make snow angels nekkid. :D

I'm a new curly. :D Was a 1a/b until my early to mid twenties, when I suddenly started going wavy until I hit 2b. Then, about six-ish months ago, I found LHC and did a baking soda clarifying wash followed by a vinegar rinse, and suddenly discovered I was firmly in 3a territory. :shocked: And I don't know what to do with it. :D For all I know, since I stopped using boxed hair colour and started using henna, it might go curlier. I'm in completely uncharted territory here. :cool:

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!!! The more moisturized my hair is, the happier it is.

Also, I think going cone-free helped, just LOADS.

Mahars
March 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Since the new board has been up I've been hearing a lot about glycerin, and I am interested in trying it. Where can you get it? Whole Foods? That's where I get my conditioners, oils and aloe gel.

I'm curious about glycerin too. I saw a glycerine and rosewater spray at the natural foods store near my house. I'm thinking of trying it but I'm not sure about whether rosewater is good for hair. Anybody know?

redcelticcurls
March 11th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I don't think that rosewater would hurt unless you're allergic. I always thought of it as just being there for the scent.

Glycerin is a humectant, and help reduce frizziness in curlies, especially in the summer. Some curlies can't use it in the winter though as it seems to have an opposite affect on them.

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I don't think that rosewater would hurt unless you're allergic. I always thought of it as just being there for the scent.

Glycerin is a humectant, and help reduce frizziness in curlies, especially in the summer. Some curlies can't use it in the winter though as it seems to have an opposite affect on them.

I've heard of rosewater being good for the skin, but I haven't figured out quite HOW, as it's jsut good smelling water, right?

And I have to shift my proportions of glycerin in the winter - I usually have to use a lot less. I'm switching to a new humectant - honeyquat - which is supposed to be 'stronger' than glycerin - it's interesting, as it takes a day or so to 'show up' in my hair, but once it does, my hair stays crazy soft.

Curlsgirl
March 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Question to those who use glycerin:

How do you use it and how do you know it helps?

Smokie
March 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM

I've just started toying with it, but holycow the difference is quite spectacular.

I mix ~1/2tsp with a decent sized dolup of aloe gel and a few drops of jojoba or SAO. All this in the palm of my hand. And then run it through towel dried hair (BWC leave-in is already in at this point) paying extra attention to the ends and the sides of my head.

I know it's working because nothing gets crunchy, everything stays soft and defined, and after a ten hour shift with my hair in a ponytail or other updo that requires hair being pulled back and slightly up the whispy hairs that don't quite reach the 'do are still in place.

I have ultradry damagedlikecrazy angry hair though. Portions will vary as will the mileage.

ETA: That ten hour shift involves putting a headset on and taking it off constantly and often the use of a hat and/or jacket hood often as well.

Mahars
March 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks redcelticcurls. I think I might try it as a mister. It smells really good and it's only a few dollars.

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM

I used mine in my daily mister - water, glycerin, a touch of tea tree oil, and a touch of conditioner du jour - shake well. That goes onto my hair twice a day - in the morning before I go to work, and at night, before I put my scarf on to go to bed in.

It makes my hair feel - juicy, I suppose is the best word. It's not greasy, or slick - but it's very soft, but not overmoisturized soft. Usually, I can tell if I skip a day.

cuddledumplin
March 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I'm a wurly when my hair is long, but when my hair is above my shoulders, I'm a curly.

I can't say I want it to warm up for humidity because it's nearly always humid in England, but I would like it to warm up because it has been cold.

I don't really have any new tips to offer, but like beautywitch I'm a conditioner addict. I use it for CO, as a leave-in, to detangle, as a moisturiser. I also avoid heat styling.

Curlsgirl
March 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I'm a wurly when my hair is long, but when my hair is above my shoulders, I'm a curly.

I can't say I want it to warm up for humidity because it's nearly always humid in England, but I would like it to warm up because it has been cold.

I don't really have any new tips to offer, but like beautywitch I'm a conditioner addict. I use it for CO, as a leave-in, to detangle, as a moisturiser. I also avoid heat styling.

It's good to see you Cuddledumplin! I haven't seen you in a while!

Thanks you all for the tips on glycerin!

AutumnLeaves
March 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I have ultradry damagedlikecrazy angry hair though.

The "damagedlikecrazy" made me laugh. When I was in tech school in the Air Force, one the girls who happened to be in both my basic training squadron and in my hallway at our tech school base (she was a different AFSC; MOS to you army people), told me I, like her, had "oughttabeen" hair.

I asked what she meant and she said our hair "oughttabeen" on a horses ass! How is that for a fine kettle of fish??? :o:p:):rolleyes:

velvetcat
March 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hey Velvetcat! Could it be the conditioner? I found Suave of most kinds just didn't do well on my hair for some reason, left a sort of heavy feeling or something. VO5 and Giovanni do much better for me and leave my hair much lighter. Do you CWC? That has helped me a lot too and also rinsing very well. Have you tried plopping? All of these things you may already have tried but are just some suggestions. CO is definitely not for me and really weighs my hair down as it gets longer. Shampoo strips my length too much but CWC is just right. I use a lot of conditioner on my length and let it sit for a few minutes before I shampoo with just a little shampoo. Every once in a while I add a little shampoo to my length to get rid of any buildup there might be. I never use cones anymore and that REALLY helps.

Thanks for responding!
I've done CWC in the past, and did not notice a difference.
I've tried lots of different types of shampoo and conditioner. Most just seem to weigh it down.
I liked Dove, but it made my scalp go crazy with dandruff and the itchies.

I think I might try CO again, and just wash my scalp with shampoo once a week (I'm a twice weekly washer).

cones are definately not a winner for me, my hair always feels very waxy and weighed down with them.

Is there a conditioner that is light, but very moisturizing? (what an odd thing to ask for I know....)

Curlsgirl
March 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for responding!
I've tried lots of different types of shampoo and conditioner. Most just seem to weigh it down.

I think I might try CO again, and just wash my scalp with shampoo once a week (I'm a twice weekly washer).

cones are definately not a winner for me, my hair always feels very waxy and weighed down with them.

Is there a conditioner that is light, but very moisturizing? (what an odd thing to ask for I know....)

Well it sounds like different things work for us but I like VO5 strawberries and cream. Have you tried VO5 products? I like them much better than Suave and they seem lighter to me. I use Giovanni most often now but sometimes the VO5. LOVE the Giovanni 50/50. It's very thick but doesn't weigh my hair down for some odd reason. . For CO when I did it I liked VO5 key lime squeeze or WREB old formula, haven't tried the new.

veganwitch
March 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Hi curlies/wurlies.

My hair is 28" wet & stretched, 3b/c, high end of ii, and coarse.

I CO once a week and my cannot-live-without products are: AOHR for CO, Shea Moisture leave-in, Jessicurls Awe Inspiraling Spray, CHS Curl Keeper, and coconut & jojoba oils.

I am still seeking a perfect gel and am using up the re:coil, Kinky Curly (KT & CCC), AO, and Jessicurl RR and CC that I have tried. When they are all used up (which will be a while, since I only use gel after CO), I'm not sure what I will reorder.

I avoid proteins (so prolly won't reorder the re:coil), sulfates, and animal derived products, and I prefer natural as much as possible (another minus for the re:coil) or at least an ingredients list that isn't 50+ chemicals with names I can't decipher.

vw

cuddledumplin
March 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
It's great to see you too, Curlsgirl. I really missed this place, and all of you nice people.

Furiana
March 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Oh shoot, there goes the post again!

I had a nice, if massive, writeup about dealing with conditioner buildup.

I'll take this as a sign that it's too long. I'll make it a flowchart instead. :p

Be right back....

ETA
The flowchart: http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/4/3/11/t_pickypickyhm_a01f26d.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/3/11/f_pickypickyhm_a01f26d.png&srv=img29)

Now, this is for people like me who can't make ANY routine work right. Shampoo dries my hair out. CWC leaves my hair dry and gunky. CO should work, except that ANY kind of conditioner leaves waxy buildup in my hair! Conditioner for fine hair takes longer to build up, but that only gives me one or two extra CO washes. What's a wurly girl to do?...

...Minimize the conditioner, minimize the shampoo.

Only use as much conditioner as it takes to clean the hair. That way you can do more CO washes without needing shampoo.

Only use as much shampoo as it takes to remove buildup. (This, incidentally, has been key. For me, it takes very little shampoo to remove buildup: one rinse with a mild, diluted shampoo. It takes a full strength shampooing to clean my roots. More than that to clean my length!)

The result is a routine that takes a flow chart to explain it. :g: Hey, whatever, it works!

Curlsgirl
March 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Furiana, oh please do repost! I need something to do! I'm bored tonight! LOL! I meant that in a good way just so you know!

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Oooh, a FLOWCHART!!??!?

*waits patiently*

redcelticcurls
March 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for responding!

If the drugstore stuff isn't cutting it for you moisture wise, I'd highly recommned Kinky Curly Knot Today. It is marketed as a detangler/leave-in, but it can also funtion as a light to medium conditioner depending on the hair. For fine curles, it might be enough alone. It is cone free.

Furiana
March 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM
OK. Please let me know if I left out key information! I had to write the post so many times that I can't see it clearly anymore. :o

ETA: I'm talking about post #72, here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8704&postcount=72)

Smokie
March 11th, 2008, 11:12 PM
The "damagedlikecrazy" made me laugh. When I was in tech school in the Air Force, one the girls who happened to be in both my basic training squadron and in my hallway at our tech school base (she was a different AFSC; MOS to you army people), told me I, like her, had "oughttabeen" hair.

I asked what she meant and she said our hair "oughttabeen" on a horses ass! How is that for a fine kettle of fish??? :o:p:):rolleyes:

Bahahaha. Gotta love military humor. DBF is army EOD and one of my best friends is an apache mechanic. Also Army. And his wife's prior service. She was an apache mechanic too. I'm told I hang around with the craziest of the Army. I love 'em.

pariate
March 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I mix ~1/2tsp with a decent sized dolup of aloe gel and a few drops of jojoba or SAO. All this in the palm of my hand. And then run it through towel dried hair (BWC leave-in is already in at this point) paying extra attention to the ends and the sides of my head.

I know it's working because nothing gets crunchy, everything stays soft and defined, and after a ten hour shift with my hair in a ponytail or other updo that requires hair being pulled back and slightly up the whispy hairs that don't quite reach the 'do are still in place.

I've been struggling with frizz and fluff the last few weeks :( I washed my hair tonight and mixed up a glob (maybe about a tbsp) of aloe with half a tsp glycerin, some orange EO, a few drops of jojoba and a drop of avocado. I scrunched it into my hair and am sitting here "drying" as I type :D I'll post back when it's dry but already I can see the difference. It feels a little tacky, as though I've used a regular holding/styling gel... That bodes well!

Fingers crossed... Thanks for the idea Smokie :flower:

Smokie
March 12th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I've been struggling with frizz and fluff the last few weeks :( I washed my hair tonight and mixed up a glob (maybe about a tbsp) of aloe with half a tsp glycerin, some orange EO, a few drops of jojoba and a drop of avocado. I scrunched it into my hair and am sitting here "drying" as I type :D I'll post back when it's dry but already I can see the difference. It feels a little tacky, as though I've used a regular holding/styling gel... That bodes well!

Fingers crossed... Thanks for the idea Smokie :flower:

Mine tends to feel a bit tacky while it's still wet as well. But holy cow, once it's dry all producty feeling is 100% gone and I'm left with, as Nappywoman described it, "juicy" soft luscious curls and unsurpassed hold for updo's.

If I had to guess at how much aloe I use, I'd say it's probably about a tablespoon. I'm really good at using too much, so I always have extra on my hands when I'm finished. If there's one thing I love the most that isn't hair related about the changes I've made in how I care for my hair it's the fact that pretty much everything I use on my head can be used to cure my retardedly dry skin. All aloe, glycerin, oil, BWC leave-in, etc that's left on my hands after coating my hair gets rubbed into my still-healing scars, knees, elbows, hands, ankles, etc. Anywhere that feels dry gets rubbed at until I run out of leftovers. Aloe alone goes under my eyes. Better than any commercial eye-gel. Feels amazing.

Glad I could help. The credit should really go to Girlcat though. As she's the one who mentioned aloe + glycerin in the first place and sparked my interest. I'm now very glad I overpurchased on the glycerin.

pariate
March 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Well my hair's almost dry now - "still cool to the touch" is how another member described this stage of the drying process! Wish I could remember who. That's a very good description...

Anyhoo, my hair looks FAB! Woohoo! AMAZING curl definition, super shine and no fluffly bits around my temples etc. I love this :D

In case anyone's wondering, I'm a 2c/3a, CO only with a couple of drops of jojoba/avocado mix as a leave in.

I lurrrrrve this stuff and it's a keeper! Going to mix up a big bottle with some paraben-free preservative so it's always there when I need it ;)

nappywomyn
March 12th, 2008, 03:20 PM
That's a wonderful flow chart, Furiana!!!!! (Have you ever seen the Chronicles of Riddick? Your user name reminds me of that movie.....)

Kinky Curly Knot Today, hrrrmmmm??? *headshake* I really don't need ANY new products, at ALL. :lol:

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM
What? A new product? Huh???!!!! (sticks fingers in ears and sings LALALALALALALALALALALALALALA)

Cichelle
March 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I'm pretending I didn't read about that new product and that I didn't go to the site to read about it and that I didn't contemplate buying it and that I'm not still contemplating...

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I'm pretending I didn't read about that new product and that I didn't go to the site to read about it and that I didn't contemplate buying it and that I'm not still contemplating...

What? Did someone say something???
http://bestsmileys.com/notlistening/2.gif

Cichelle
March 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM
What? Did someone say something???
http://bestsmileys.com/notlistening/2.gif

LOL!!

Yup, you got the right idea.

Mahars
March 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM
LOL!!

Yup, you got the right idea.

LOL! Me too. I've been mulling over that stuff ever since celtic mentioned it. I actually went to naturallycurly.com and checked it out. Stop me!

redcelticcurls
March 12th, 2008, 09:13 PM
You.Must.Buy.Knot.Today.

Seriously, best stuff ever, especially if you get tangle issues. It detangled even better than the Elucence conditioner did for me. Of course, Elucence has protein, and I hate protein, but still.....

If one has to go protein and cone free, it is worth a look, even though it is pricey.

Now I need to go re-read the homemade gel bit.....sounds intriguing. Has anyone used this in hot humid weather?

CurlyNinja
March 12th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Oh, I am totally trying it! I've been planning to pick it up next week when I'm in a city where they sell it on the ground. :o

redcelticcurls
March 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Oh, I am totally trying it! I've been planning to pick it up next week when I'm in a city where they sell it on the ground. :o

I'm jealous! It'll save you the shipping costs.

I use this and the Curling Custard. The custard isn't so expensive as it lasts forever, but that conditioner, whew! I wish it came in bigger bottles.

CurlyNinja
March 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
How much of the knot today do you usually use, RCC? I'm planning on getting the custard and it together, since I've heard they work so well as a pair. To compensate, I've been a good girl the past few weeks, using up the products I have, not getting anything new, making room for the Knot Today and Curling Custard... :wannabe: haha!

carloota
March 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM
YES!!!! Finally the resurrection of the spirally sisterhood. YAY!!!

redcelticcurls
March 12th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I use about 1-3 quarter sized blobs depending on what I need. Usually 2 to detangle, and one as my leave-in. No wonder I go through it.

Good luck with the Custard if you decide to try it out. It seems to be a love it or hate it product with a learning curve when using it. There are a handful of 3A folks at nc using it, and I'm always curious to see how it works on a 3A since I've often seen this as a 3C and up product. My 3B curls love it though.

Smokie
March 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Well my hair's almost dry now - "still cool to the touch" is how another member described this stage of the drying process! Wish I could remember who. That's a very good description...

Anyhoo, my hair looks FAB! Woohoo! AMAZING curl definition, super shine and no fluffly bits around my temples etc. I love this :D

In case anyone's wondering, I'm a 2c/3a, CO only with a couple of drops of jojoba/avocado mix as a leave in.

I lurrrrrve this stuff and it's a keeper! Going to mix up a big bottle with some paraben-free preservative so it's always there when I need it ;)

Glad to hear it worked for you too! Do we get pictures?

Oh, and another question.. What exactly will you be using as a preservative? I've got some great big jars and would looooove to be able to keep this mix around a bit. Is a preservative even necessary? I mean, depending on the aloe gel you're using (I use FOTE) it's probably full of preservatives already. Pretty sure mine is. And it's not like we're adding water to the mix... Hrm... Any ideas?

coppercurls
March 13th, 2008, 12:34 AM
You evil bunch of enablers! :p
I did go to the Knot Today website~
I did read all the reviews~
I will be placing an order for both Knot Today & Curling Custard next payday!;)
I would have ordered today, but there is that flexi 8 GO on TBB.:D
I can't wait to try this stuff.

Smokie
March 13th, 2008, 12:40 AM
So this Kinky Curly stuff... Are the ingredients listed anywhere? I went to the website and couldn't find them. You people have made me such a product snob. I won't buy anything without reading the ingredients.

redcelticcurls
March 13th, 2008, 12:43 AM
So this Kinky Curly stuff... Are the ingredients listed anywhere? I went to the website and couldn't find them. You people have made me such a product snob. I won't buy anything without reading the ingredients.

They are listed in CurlMart and in the reviews section here.

I won't buy without reading the ingredients either. ;)

Smokie
March 13th, 2008, 12:46 AM
They are listed in CurlMart and in the reviews section here.

I won't buy without reading the ingredients either. ;)

Ahah. I'll check there. Thanks! Also, HIIII!!!! I missed seeing your updos and things. Get back into the wear hair up for x amt of time thread, woman!

Edit: Gah. Why is there something sulfate flavored in the conditioner? Weird. The Custard's pretty tempting... But with as damaged as my length is I have to use ton of anything to keep my curls looking and feeling pretty. $25 + s&h is a bit too spendy for me... Besides. With my luck, my hair would likely decide it likes the custard and nothing else if I tried it.

redcelticcurls
March 13th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Ahah. I'll check there. Thanks! Also, HIIII!!!! I missed seeing your updos and things. Get back into the wear hair up for x amt of time thread, woman!

I should really... I'm so bad about not wearing my hair up in the winter.....

I guess I should go check out that thread! I did love seeing everyones updos on the old thread.

yzkaloha
March 13th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Hello Everyone!!! Glad to see you all, I've missed you...

Another curly checking back in!

I had a change of living arrangements right after Thanksgiving that left my computerless. When I got back online, the site was down, lol.

I had a lovely 3 inch cut in January that was so helpful to my curls. My ends needed it, and my curls perked up a bit.

It made me rethink my length goals as I don't want to sacrifice curl for length.

This winter has been pretty good for my hair - nothing like last winter. I give credit to a product/routine line that works for me.

I'm glad to be back seeing the other wavies/curlies.

Heh there RCC, I was wondering what happened to you, glad to see you are doing great, and as usuall, your hair is looking great!

Mahars, in experimenting with what works and doesn't work for my hair, I think number one for me is Condition Only as my wash method.

Curlsgirl
March 13th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I just ordered some Kinky curly knot today and some custard from Curlmart. More money gone :magic:

Redcelticcurls and others I will let you know how I like them. Usually 3b and c products work well for me so I have high hopes :D That could be because my hair is thick.

Cichelle
March 13th, 2008, 09:21 AM
You.Must.Buy.Knot.Today.

Seriously, best stuff ever, especially if you get tangle issues. It detangled even better than the Elucence conditioner did for me. Of course, Elucence has protein, and I hate protein, but still.....

If one has to go protein and cone free, it is worth a look, even though it is pricey.

Now I need to go re-read the homemade gel bit.....sounds intriguing. Has anyone used this in hot humid weather?

You are having some weird hypnotic influence over me. I can't stop reading the part I bolded above. If you could see me right now, you'd witness a woman at her computer with big zombie like eyes getting ready to obey....

Curlsgirl
March 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
You.Must.Buy.Knot.Today. :D

Curlsgirl
March 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
If I'm broke everyone else should be too! :p

redcelticcurls
March 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Well, Cichelle, I did want to put little spiral things like you say on TV back in the day when they showed cheesy hypnosis.....

I'm more wary of recommending the KCCC as it is a love-hate product, but I feel comfortable telling anyone and everyone to test out the Knot Today.

Curlsgirl
March 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Well, Cichelle, I did want to put little spiral things like you say on TV back in the day when they showed cheesy hypnosis.....

I'm more wary of recommending the KCCC as it is a love-hate product, but I feel comfortable telling anyone and everyone to test out the Knot Today.
Do you like the custard RCC?

redcelticcurls
March 13th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I love it, but not everyone does. Some just can't get it to work, especially if used over an oil rich leave-in.

Curlsgirl
March 13th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I love it, but not everyone does. Some just can't get it to work, especially if used over an oil rich leave-in.Well I guess I'll find out! :D

Schanulleke
March 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
You.Must.Buy.Knot.Today.
Somehow, my mind thinks it says: You.Must.Not.Buy.Today. :D

beledigrrl
March 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Hi all! At almost three years of wearing my hair relaxer-free, I still consider myself relatively new to the concept of embracing my curls.

I currently reside in New Mexico where the air is always mercilessly dry and I am forever looking for ways to keep my hair soft and moisturized. My hair hates oils and silicone based products and since my hair's texture is undergoing an odd change, it seems like I'm forever searching for just the product.

Curlsgirl
March 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Hi all! At almost three years of wearing my hair relaxer-free, I still consider myself relatively new to the concept of embracing my curls.

I currently reside in New Mexico where the air is always mercilessly dry and I am forever looking for ways to keep my hair soft and moisturized. My hair hates oils and silicone based products and since my hair's texture is undergoing an odd change, it seems like I'm forever searching for just the product.Welcome! It's been about 2 1/2 for me and I am just now really finding a good routine but always looking for a better one! What hair type do you have?

It would be helpful for everyone to put their hairtype and length in your siggies by the way :cool:

redcelticcurls
March 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Welcome beledigrrl,

I hope that you find this site helpful. Hopefully there are other dry climate curlies who can help you with product recs. My favorite conditioner happens to have lots of oils, which won't help ya much....

What type of straightening were you using?

Starr
March 13th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Yikes, I go away for a few days and this 2 page thread becomes 12!

I NEED to log on more often (darn toddler, she keeps me busy).

Welcome Belediggrl!

Chamomile betty
March 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah :magic:

Just stopping in say hi for the moment. I missed the old one on LHC and did enjoy the short one we had TBB.

Thanks Curlsgirl :D

Can't wait to read and post.

Welcome newbie's to the thread.

pariate
March 14th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Glad to hear it worked for you too! Do we get pictures?

Oh, and another question.. What exactly will you be using as a preservative? I've got some great big jars and would looooove to be able to keep this mix around a bit. Is a preservative even necessary? I mean, depending on the aloe gel you're using (I use FOTE) it's probably full of preservatives already. Pretty sure mine is. And it's not like we're adding water to the mix... Hrm... Any ideas?

I'll try to remember to ask my lovely man to take a picture next time I wash it ;) As for the preservative, I'm far from knowledgable on the subject but... as far as I know ANY formulation containing a "wet" substance (e.g. water, aloe, glycerin) needs a preservative of some kind. Damp conditions are excellent homes for bacteria, mould and fungus. You can't rely on the preservatives already present in the aloe because those preservatives have been formulated to keep that particluar substance healthy - if you use the aloe in a formula those preservatives will protect you any more. I think the general guideline is that if you haven't added preservatives to a formula you should chuck it after a three days and during those three days it should be kept cool in the fridge.

I don't know how well I explained that! I'm quite new to the whole preservative thing. I've done a lot of research but I'm still a novice! I'm sure someone else here could do a much better job of explaining this :o We have lots of experts here :D

pariate
March 14th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Just an update on that aloe/glycerin/oil gel recipe that I got from Smokie. I know other 2c/3a people will understand this - the day I wash my hair, I'll have curls; the 2nd day I'll comb my hair in the morning and the curls will separate and settle back in waves rather than curls; the further I get from the day I washed it, the less curly it will be!

So today, 2nd day hair with the AGO gel in it from yesterday. I combed my hair through and it still feels super-soft (much softer than it's been recently with just the oil and conditioner in it). It's so glossy and lush :) It's been quite damp here today, with drizzly rain that usually gives me HORRIFIC frizz but my hair's withstood it really well today!

Excellent results, methinks.

ncurls
March 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone, like I'm a super curly 3c/4a/4b combo head. It keeps things interesting. I'm really excited about this thread and hope to learn from you all.

Curlsgirl
March 14th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hi everyone, like I'm a super curly 3c/4a/4b combo head. It keeps things interesting. I'm really excited about this thread and hope to learn from you all.

Hi ncurls and WELCOME!!! (rolls out red carpet)

darkwaves
March 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Just joining in the curly wurly thread.

Good to see so many people here!

Smokie
March 14th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Just an update on that aloe/glycerin/oil gel recipe that I got from Smokie. I know other 2c/3a people will understand this - the day I wash my hair, I'll have curls; the 2nd day I'll comb my hair in the morning and the curls will separate and settle back in waves rather than curls; the further I get from the day I washed it, the less curly it will be!

So today, 2nd day hair with the AGO gel in it from yesterday. I combed my hair through and it still feels super-soft (much softer than it's been recently with just the oil and conditioner in it). It's so glossy and lush :) It's been quite damp here today, with drizzly rain that usually gives me HORRIFIC frizz but my hair's withstood it really well today!

Excellent results, methinks.

Wow! So glad it's working for you!

My hair is drinking the stuff up lately. I went ahead and mixed up a bigger batch of it (4-6oz, can't remember how much my jars hold) and added some vitamin E oil as a preservative. My hair seems to like vitamin E in small doses, so it should work for me. I eyeballed everything and think I used a bit too much glycerin in the mix and not enough oil, so my hair's a bit producty feeling today, but it's still damp from the mister so that may clear up once it dries a bit more. I'll keep you posted on how it works out with the vitamin E as a preservative, though I could've sworn I read something somewhere about glycerin also having preservative qualities (Think that's why it was in Basketcase's moisturizing flaxseed gel stuff that I can't find the recipe for..).

Hmm... AGO gel... I kind of like that. Think I should post it in the recipes section once I've got the portions figured out?

Starr
March 14th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hi ncurls and WELCOME!!! (rolls out red carpet)

Ahh! A red carpet! Me thinks somebody has a litte extra money their hair budget. :p

Mahars
March 14th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Has anybody tried Graham Webb making waves? It used to be an HG for me but now I don't buy it because of the price and the ingredients. I'm looking for a similar gel to replace it. Any ideas?

Smokie
March 14th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Has anybody tried Graham Webb making waves? It used to be an HG for me but now I don't buy it because of the price and the ingredients. I'm looking for a similar gel to replace it. Any ideas?

If you're looking for a commercial product, I'm of no use to you. The only "standard" commercial product I use nowadays is conditioner. And I'm even looking for replacements for that.

Have you tried using just aloe gel? Or the AGO gel (yes, yes we like the name) discussed above? Both of those seem to have good results with helping wave and curl formation as well as being very moisturizing. Basketcase also had a recipe for a moisturizing gel on old LHC. It was flaxseed based if I recall. I'm gonna have to go look for a cache of that recipe... Hmm...

HTH

Curlsgirl
March 15th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I got my kinky curly know today leave-in and curly custard in the mail already today! I had unfortunately just washed my hair and let it dry. So it will be 4-5 days before I try it. I will let you know how it goes!

Question: What is a good medium hold gel for curls that is not drying and doesn't have cones? I would like one I could buy at the drugstore if possible. Pure aloe gel does not work for me. I haven't been using gel but today I used one and I liked the way it did but it has cones and I don't do cones. Thanks for any suggestions!

carloota
March 15th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Question: What is a good medium hold gel for curls that is not drying and doesn't have cones? I would like one I could buy at the drugstore if possible. Pure aloe gel does not work for me. I haven't been using gel but today I used one and I liked the way it did but it has cones and I don't do cones. Thanks for any suggestions!

Have you tried this recipe from Pioneer Thinking? http://www.pioneerthinking.com/hairgel.html It works really good. Sometimes, instead of water, I'll use tea. I believe you and I have very similar hair type Curlsgirl. So this recipe might work good for you.

redcelticcurls
March 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I got my kinky curly know today leave-in and curly custard in the mail already today! I had unfortunately just washed my hair and let it dry. So it will be 4-5 days before I try it. I will let you know how it goes!

The custard is sort of gel-like... Maybe see how that goes.

I like Herbal Essences Set Me Up, but that may be more of a hard hold? Hard to tell, I'm not good at that

Cichelle
March 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM
How about a medium hold styling glaze like the one made by Biotera? I'm fairly confident it doesn't have cones, but I'm not so savvy on all the long words and such. I used to use it a long while ago. I liked how I could smooth my hair after it dried and the glaze would become soft, yet still hold. But it's been some time since I used it. Hopefully, they didn't change the formula.

Speedbump
March 16th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Checkin' in! :cheese:

I prefer winter, amazingly enough. Summer is so hot and humid here that I'm hot all the time and my shorter hairs spring out like I just got electrocuted. :lol:

JKRBeloved
March 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I have a question on how to let my wurlies out for the day. I don't usually have to leave the house early in the morning, so I have time to let my hair dry. But on those mornings when I do have to get out and go, I haven't figured out how to manage to let it be natural. It's always way too frizzy, dorky, or wet. Please help. I know there are mnay of you who go out every morning. How do you manage your hair? I'm at a loss.

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Checkin' in! :cheese:

I prefer winter, amazingly enough. Summer is so hot and humid here that I'm hot all the time and my shorter hairs spring out like I just got electrocuted. :lol:

Yes, I totally get that!

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Redcelticcurls, I was wondering how to use the custard. Right now I am using a moisturizing leave-in (BWC) then coconut oil and then AG re:coil and last night gel over everything. I use each one and distribute them separately, scrunching each through while my hair is still very wet.

How should I use the custard and the kinky curly knot today leave-in? Should the custard replace the gel and KCKT replace the BWC leave-in? I assume to try these new products I should leave off the AG re:coil. Thanks for any help!

Oh I have tried the Herbal Essence gel you mentioned and I didn't like it, can't remember why but I think it made my hair too crunchy. Perhaps I used too much. I still have it in my cabinet I think with all the other zillion products I used once :redface:

Chamomile betty
March 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I've been using this gel for the last 9 months or so - Queen Helen Sculpting Gel & Glaze Alcohol Free.
I just looked at the ingredients and I believe there are not cones. It's a rather large squeeze container and it was no more than $3.

I have used it on and off with no problems. I hate sticky tacky hair and it's not done that to me.

JKRBeloved, have you thought of wearing your hair back or up since your having a hard time with the frizz? Many of us rely on updos of some kind to get us through those not great wurly days.
Btw, love your doggies!

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Well, I use the KCKT as a leave-in and then use the Custard as a gel. I scrunch the crap out of it as I am applying the custard. It can be sticky and crunchy if overdone. It can be mostly scrunched out though.

I wish I had a camera right now. While my curls aren't summer curls, I'm getting my best winter curls with this.

Oh, wait, I have a cell phone. Excuse the crappy cell quality; my skin and hair do not look my regular colors...

Funny, I do have some straight roots in the winter.

http://i27.tinypic.com/1zva29x.jpg

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Oh, Curlsgirl, be careful with the oils too. Sometimes the custard acts weird if placed over an oil or an oil containing product. I did use a little peach kernel over the leave in and under the custard in the above pic. But, others over at nc.com have reported bad effects with an oil/custard combo.

Have you opened the custard yet? I think it feels like snot in a funny way...

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks Chamomile Betty! I will keep that in mind too!

RCC, is it okay if I call you that for short? :)

No I haven't opened the custard yet. LOVELY pic by the way and beautiful curls!!! I LOVE coconut oil, not sure if I can live without it but maybe I will try it without the oil at first when I try the custard. How much custard and KCKT can you recommend to start with? I know I may have to adjust it. I usually don't scrunch much after I get all the product in my hair but leave it alone to dry. Do you think it would work that way or do you mean you scrunch the whole time as it is drying?

Oh and snotty looking? YUCK!!!! :peeks in the jar ready to clamp it back on: :D

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM
rcc is cool Curlsgirl, I even named my own albums that since it's shorter than my whole screen name.

I use a good quarter sized blob of the KCKT, but I love lots of leave in.

I don't scrunch the whole time with the KCCC, just on application. I just make sure to scrunch well becuase the KCCC can also be used for curl elongation if pulled or combed through. There are instructions on the Kinky curly website too. I'm a plopper/diffuser girl, so I don't need any more scrunching after that. If it is sticky when dry, I just scrunch some to break it up.

It wouldn't hurt to try it over the oil, you'll never know othewise. ;)

ETA: Oh, I also used a quarter sized blob of the custard, but that is it at the high end of things compared to what most others have been using. But, you hair is longer than most KCCC users too. Maybe start somewher between dime and quarter and go from there?

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks so much RCC!!! I appreciate all your help! I use more product than a lot of people too. My hair is thick for one thing so that may be why and it is NOT fine, not really coarse but definitley not on the fine side. You gave me some good guidelines and I will try it with and without the oil.

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Curlsgirl, here (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=33402) is a five page thread over at nc.com about this combo if it helps.

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Curlsgirl, here (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=33402) is a five page thread over at nc.com about this combo if it helps.

Oh thanks! I am not that used to navigating around that place yet! I did go to the KCKT site though and found some directions that helped. Do NOT google kinky curly by the way :rolleyes:

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Oh thanks! I am not that used to navigating around that place yet! I did go to the KCKT site though and found some directions that helped. Do NOT google kinky curly by the way :rolleyes:

*snort* that was funny. I do find a twisted sense of humor in saying that I am a Kinky Curly girl. :lol:

With the board changes there and here recently, they are bother very similar now. At least the link takes you right to the thread so it is a little easier.

I'm glad you found the directions over at the KC site. I tend to apply it differently - as in not in sections - so that site may be helpful too.

Anne~
March 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Guess I belong here too! Now that my hair is long it is more wurly than curly.

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Welcome Anne!!! Sit down and have some chocolate! :D

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Where is everybody?

I just CWCd and then used the KCKT and the KC custard. I am letting it dry now and am anxious to see the results! I used a minimal amount and will work up if it doesn't do well. I also skipped the coconut oil to see what that was like with this. I used a little bit of gel for hold over it.

I'll report back when it's dry which may be in the morning! I also am tracking this in my blog if anyone is interested! :)

Oh yeah it doesn't feel weird to me like some said over on Nat Curly, just feels a bit heavy perhaps and right now doesn't look like it is going to curl as tight but I read that is normal until you scrunch after it's dry. I read somewhere for curlies never to go to bed with dry hair. Yeah right! I would have to wash in the morning and besides going to bed with mine damp has never caused frizz for me like it said. Oh well!

(stops yammering and leaves thread for others to get a word in) LOL

redcelticcurls
March 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Curlsgril, I hope it works for you! I still think the KCCC feels like snot going in, but I loved it.

I did a whole head oiling today. My hair is super soft and boingy, but sitting above APL right now :bigeyes:

Curlsgirl
March 18th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Yes it does feel like snot going on but I tried not to think about it LOL! This is from my blog today:

Okay I couldn't WAIT to report what my hair looks like this morning! It's a thick mass of waves and beautiful CURLS!!! No frizz and very soft! I really am totally amazed! I think I need more "hold" not sure and perhaps to distribute the product better. But I really am truly in LOVE with my hair today!

THANKS RCC!!!!! Um I may have a few more questions for you. :o

nappywomyn
March 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Noooooooooooooooo!! I really don't need to hear any more raving reviews of KCKT! Or the KCCC, either, for that matter. *sits firmly on hands*

:lala:

Chamomile betty
March 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I glad you guys are finding something that works.
Not sure about the feeling like 'snot' thing but hey, as long as the hair looks wonderful :D go for it.

coppercurls
March 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Noooooooooooooooo!! I really don't need to hear any more raving reviews of KCKT! Or the KCCC, either, for that matter. *sits firmly on hands*

<Sitting in the corner with nappywomyn resisiting the urge to order KCKT & KCCC>
:wannabe:

missy60
March 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
How about a medium hold styling glaze like the one made by Biotera? I'm fairly confident it doesn't have cones, but I'm not so savvy on all the long words and such. I used to use it a long while ago. I liked how I could smooth my hair after it dried and the glaze would become soft, yet still hold. But it's been some time since I used it. Hopefully, they didn't change the formula.

I use this and love it! I only have to use a small amount but it doesnt dry my hair out at all. If I get carried away sometimes I do get a little crunch but it scrunches out very easily. It not very costly but its not a drugstore gel they sell it at Sally's.

missy60
March 18th, 2008, 10:08 PM
RCC Im glad you mentioned having straighter roots in the winter. I havent been a curly girl very long and I was getting curlier roots but they are so much straighter lately. My routine is giving me consistantly curly hair now so thats a plus. They havent been curling all the way to the roots though and I just couldnt figure out why.

Your hair is a lot curlier then mine so I guess Im just having winter curls to. Thats good to know

redcelticcurls
March 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM
RCC Im glad you mentioned having straighter roots in the winter. I havent been a curly girl very long and I was getting curlier roots but they are so much straighter lately. My routine is giving me consistantly curly hair now so thats a plus. They havent been curling all the way to the roots though and I just couldnt figure out why.

Your hair is a lot curlier then mine so I guess Im just having winter curls to. Thats good to know

It could be that, or it ould be a hairtype thing. One of the differences between a 3a and a 3b is root curl. A 3b usually has more root curl than a 3a, and a 3c has the highest starting curl.

Of course, druer air can do the same thing, so might not know about your roots until the weather changes.

Nicole.Amina
March 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hi!!! :D

I was wondering if anyone can recommend any hair/styling products that would be kind to a poor college student's wallet? :o

I've become rather lazy with my hair and I'm trying to get back into styling it more or less every other day. I've found that the gel I used to use isn't doing the trick anymore after a bad dye job. :wail:

Um... if this helps: I do my hair at night, and I've tried shea butter but it leaves my hair feeling tacky the second day and I have to shampoo it out (which I want to avoid doing too often).

TIA!!!

Smokie
March 18th, 2008, 11:43 PM

I was wondering if anyone can recommend any hair/styling products that would be kind to a poor college student's wallet? :o

I've become rather lazy with my hair and I'm trying to get back into styling it more or less every other day. I've found that the gel I used to use isn't doing the trick anymore after a bad dye job. :wail:

Um... if this helps: I do my hair at night, and I've tried shea butter but it leaves my hair feeling tacky the second day and I have to shampoo it out (which I want to avoid doing too often).

TIA!!!

Hi hair twin! Looks like we're pretty close. If the bad dye job was chemical, we're probably a bit closer. My hair doesn't seem to be fond of shea either. Here's what I've been using. It seems to have gained the name AGO and if I weren't still experimenting with keeping it awhile it'd be posted in the recipes section.

I mix ~1Tbsp Aloe gel (I'm using FOTE), 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp vegetable Glycerine, and a few drops of jojoba or coconut Oil in my hands and apply to damp hair. Comb or scrunch through based on whether you want your curls to loosen a bit or make them nice and tight. Then air dry.

I apply my AGO over the BWC leave-in I'm falling in love with (gives good slip and makes combing easier). HTH

Chamomile betty
March 19th, 2008, 05:47 PM

TIA!!!

You can have a good routine on a budget.

I use Queen Helen Gel & Glaze No Alcohol. A rather large squeeze bottle for under $3.
I also use V05 S&C's. To make an inexpensive leave in put a little conditioner in squirt bottle with water. Instant leave in!

Olive Oil is very inexpensive at the local grocery stores. You could use that as a deep contioner treatment.

hth

Nicole.Amina
March 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM
smokie and Chamomile betty: Thank you for your suggestions! :flowers:

coppercurls
March 19th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Coconut oil from the cooking oil aisle at Wal-Mart is really cheap too. My hair & skin love this stuff. HTH

artgeek
March 20th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I had such good results from glycerin yesterday! I mixed about equal amounts of glycerin, aloe vera gel, and olive oil, topped it off with a generous squirt of non-cone conditioner and used that as my final condish. I got clumpy curls! Hooray!

(I really need to find a source of a spray bottle though, so I can continue spraying the stuff on non wash days. :D )

Curlsgirl
March 20th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I may have to try that Biotera gel from Sally's. I have just started using gel again and I need a good one. As for the KCKT and Curly Custard I haven't used them again yet but I plan on it tomorrow after I wash again. I am going to try using more of both to see if the curl lasts longer.

On the 3a straight at the top, I find the longer mind gets the more straight on top perhaps from the weight and mine is not layered either. I don't mind at all in fact I kind of like it like that. The rest of the curl is about the same I think only definitely curlier in the summer and when it's humid. I have learned to appreciate it no matter how much curl it has. When it is straighter it looks longer at least! :D

missy60
March 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Do you think the KCKT give your hair slip? I have been thinking about trying it or the Innersense but havent decided on which yet. I would love to find a product that gives me slip without cones. Im not against cones but I dont want to have to use a sulfate on a regular bases to remove them.

redcelticcurls
March 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM
For me, the KCKT has nice squishy slip

Adrienne
March 20th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I am HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I am CURLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CURLY WURLY GIRL CHECKING IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redcelticcurls
March 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Welcome, Adrienne! It's good to see a loud and proud curly!:):blossom:

CurlyNinja
March 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Whoa whoa whoa! All these new people and new happenings! Welcome to all the curlies and wurlies who've chimed in!

So, today I tried the KCKT/KCCC combination with the "smoothing" technique, only scrunching my hair when getting some excess water out with a t-shirt. It's certainly different as a styling product, that's for sure! The Curling Custard gets tacky/hard pretty fast, imo, and it looks a little odd while it's drying. I've ended up with these big, soft, loose curls, which are nice, but I think I've got to get the technique right when it comes to application.

Curlsgirl, I'm a fan of the Biotera gel because it's runny enough to work through easily, is a decent gel when it comes to frizz control and hold, and it's a very good price for the size of the bottle.

rhubarbarin
March 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I cut my hair and it looks great!! I lost a lot of length, but not a lot of actual hair since it was all damaged stringy ends. I thought I would be sad for it to be short, but I'm actually happy because it looks so much thicker and healthier. I just hope I can grow it longer starting now and have it look better.. my habits have improved 100&#37; since LHC, plus I stay away from the twin evils of cones and protein.. so I am expecting great things. Another year or two at least til waist length, though. Sigh.

I haven't washed it since the cut and it is quite straight.. I'm scared beacuse it will look even shorter curlier, but excited to see how it behaves. The last time it was this length I had big 3a curls. Plus the hair that's left feels so soft, and looks so bouncy and shiny, without the damaged part weighing it down. Anyway sometimes a hair cut is a good thing. Here's to longer, healthier curls and wurls in my future.

Nicole.Amina
March 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Is anyone cone-free and satisfied with how your curls look? I'm considering going cone-free but I don't want to lose curl definition as I like to wear my hair down.

Any suggestions?

CurlyNinja
March 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm 100% cone free since August, 2007, and I love it. It is the best thing I ever did for my hair. I also try to keep off the protein as much as possible, because it tends to dry me out.

redcelticcurls
March 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Going cone free helped me tremendously. My curl definition was very hit and miss beforehand, varying from a barely 3b to a 2c. Now I'm a pretty solid 3b up front and leaning 3b/3a blend in the back.

I have to add that, for me, it was not just going cone free, but also sulfate free.

It's not for everyone, but I personally feel that any type 3 should give it a go for a month to see if it works.

Nicole.Amina
March 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
redcelticcurls and CurlyNinja , thank you for your input.

I'm just worried about going cone free because my hair is dyed (bad dye job that left my hair a complete frizz ball...) and nothing seems to help with the frizzies.

But I'll definately give it a try. Thanks!

nappywomyn
March 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
I think going cone-free saved my hair. I have VERY thirsty hair, and anything that gets between my hair and moisture is a bad thing. I've found that the more moisturized my hair is, the less frizzy it is, as well...

Nicole.Amina
March 22nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
I think going cone-free saved my hair. I have VERY thirsty hair, and anything that gets between my hair and moisture is a bad thing. I've found that the more moisturized my hair is, the less frizzy it is, as well...

Would you mind sharing your routine?

girlcat36
March 22nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
What nappywoman said.
I am cone, protein, sulfate, AND alcohol free.

Nicole.Amina
March 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
What nappywoman said.
I am cone, protein, sulfate, AND alcohol free.

Which products do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

girlcat36
March 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Water Only on my scalp, ACV rinse, and Goth Rosary conditioner as a leave-in. Aloe Gel(with no dimethicone!)-glycerin-avocado oil mixture on wet hairto enhance curl.
Most ingredients in hair products seem to cause more frizz in my hair instead of taming it!
I am currently looking for a more inexpensive substitute for the Goth Rosary.

ladystar
March 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Its always summer were I live, the humity kills me. Miami, FL

Nicole.Amina
March 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Water Only on my scalp, ACV rinse, and Goth Rosary conditioner as a leave-in. Aloe Gel(with no dimethicone!)-glycerin-avocado oil mixture on wet hairto enhance curl.
Most ingredients in hair products seem to cause more frizz in my hair instead of taming it!
I am currently looking for a more inexpensive substitute for the Goth Rosary.

Thank you! I'm going to have to device a new routine (after I'm done with the 3 bottles of Pantene I just bought.... lol)

redcelticcurls
March 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM

I'm just worried about going cone free because my hair is dyed (bad dye job that left my hair a complete frizz ball...) and nothing seems to help with the frizzies.

But I'll definately give it a try. Thanks!

I chemical dye also. I've gotten far fewer frizzies since going co.

Like nappywomyn, I need moisture, moisture moisture. The cone/sulfate cycle seemed to block that for me.

Nicole.Amina
March 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
I chemical dye also. I've gotten far fewer frizzies since going co.

Like nappywomyn, I need moisture, moisture moisture. The cone/sulfate cycle seemed to block that for me.

That being said, I'm sold. :rolling:

coppercurls
March 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
I have to agree about the moisture. With most curlies, the more moisture the better. My hair can stand a bit of cones once in awhile, but not as part of my everyday routine. HTH

CurlyOne
March 22nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Well I just found out that my hair really doesn't like cones. All this time I thought I just had weak, brittle hair but as it turns out the cones. It still felt slippery but the ends would just break off. So when I first started on at LHC I tried some cone free stuff and the breaking stopped. Then I foolishly went back to cones and had some really bad shedding and breaking.

Anyone know how to get the cone feel without the cones?

quidscribis
March 23rd, 2008, 05:09 AM
Pretty much all the hair care products here have cones in them, which sucks. We're in a tight budget right now and can't afford to get me the supplies I need to make my own stuff, which I totally want to do and have already done a tonne of research for. Meanwhile, I clarify every now and then with a baking soda then vinegar rinse (which gets rid of cone buildup), and whenever I do, the curls come out even better. So my conclusion is that cones make my hair straighter, which is what I don't want. I want curl. :)

Chamomile betty
March 23rd, 2008, 06:39 AM
Well, I need moisture and some cones. My hair is just too difficult to detangle underneath without the cones.

Have a great Easter Wurlies and Curlies :)

nappywomyn
March 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Would you mind sharing your routine?

Heh, not at all. It's - odd, I'll tell you that to start. It's simple, but complex, all at once.

I'm also big on low manipulation, so I only 'meddle' with my hair 'out' once every two weekends. The rest of the time, it's in two strand twists like my avi.

During the week, I have a really simple routine.

Wed/Friday - scalp massages with my growth enhancer of choice.

Mornings - growth enhancer to my hairline, deep moisture mist all over (water, conditioner, humectant, tea tree oil, amla oil).

Evenings - amla oil to hairline, scarf to bed.

The weekends are where I mix things up. The 'in' hair weekends are generally the same - I rinse my hair (either with plain water, or a shikaika/amla/fo-ti mix depending on how 'dirty' my hair feels), and give myself at least one, sometimes two scalp massages.
If my hair seems to be esp. dry, I'll give myself a conditioner rinse by mixing my favorite commercial conditioner (right now, Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Conditioner) and some water together, and soaking my hair with that and letting it sit for a couple of hours. Since I started using the Caramel treatment though, my hair hasn't needed this step.

The out hair weekends go like this: Henna/Caramel/Protien/Caramel/Henna, and so forth over and over again. It ends up with me henna'ing once every 8 weeks, protien'ing once every 8 weeks, and DC'ing every 4 weeks. My usual protien mix of choice is a yogurt and/or coconut milk based one, but I haven't settled on a recipe of choice just yet.

I hope that was a BIT clearer than mud... :lol: I don't use many commercial products (obviously), so that makes it a LOT easier to be conefree. I use some moisturizing protiens (largely silk amino acids, right now), and I use NO petroleum products.

Curlsgirl
March 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Is anyone cone-free and satisfied with how your curls look? I'm considering going cone-free but I don't want to lose curl definition as I like to wear my hair down.

Any suggestions?Me!!!! I went back and forth for a while until I found products that are cone-free that I love and that defined my curls and eliminated the frizz! For me coconut oil alone almost totally eliminates the frizz. AG re:coil defines my curls. And recently gel has been helping to hold it. I also have been trying Kinky Curly Knot Today and Curling custard and think I am going to like them a lot! I just need to get the proportions and routine down. I wear my hair down a lot too.

Whoa whoa whoa! All these new people and new happenings! Welcome to all the curlies and wurlies who've chimed in!

So, today I tried the KCKT/KCCC combination with the "smoothing" technique, only scrunching my hair when getting some excess water out with a t-shirt. It's certainly different as a styling product, that's for sure! The Curling Custard gets tacky/hard pretty fast, imo, and it looks a little odd while it's drying. I've ended up with these big, soft, loose curls, which are nice, but I think I've got to get the technique right when it comes to application.

Curlsgirl, I'm a fan of the Biotera gel because it's runny enough to work through easily, is a decent gel when it comes to frizz control and hold, and it's a very good price for the size of the bottle.Thanks! I tried the combo without gel today just to see. I like it but I think I need a gel to boost the hold a bit at least until the humidity goes up for the summer! I don't need frizz control with my other products but I could use hold. What is different about the Biotera? Have you tried many other gels?

But I'll definately give it a try. Thanks!Coconut oil and AG re:coil were lifesavers for me and totally eliminated my frizzies when I first came here. I had lot of chemical damage. Now I still color but do everything else right and only dye the roots a shade near my natural color.

Well I just found out that my hair really doesn't like cones. All this time I thought I just had weak, brittle hair but as it turns out the cones. It still felt slippery but the ends would just break off. So when I first started on at LHC I tried some cone free stuff and the breaking stopped. Then I foolishly went back to cones and had some really bad shedding and breaking.

Anyone know how to get the cone feel without the cones?You need a coneless conditioner with "slip". I get just as good of a feel to my hair without cones but it took a while to get there. It takes some experimenting to find what works for you and your type of hair. Oils help a lot and a LOT of people swear by coconut oil including me! I find they work much better on damp hair rather than dry. They help you get that slippy feeling too. HTH!

Curlsgirl
March 24th, 2008, 07:08 AM
How are my curly friends today? :cheese:

I have good second day curls today from the KCKT combo. Hair feels nice too. YAY!

missy60
March 24th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Im here but Im not curly I dyed my hair over the weekend and I always wear it straight for a few days afterwards. It is so much easier to take a few days off from washing when my hair is straighter I can comb it and fix it. With my curls I never know what second day hair will look like and usually third day looks very flat.

One thing I like about Biotera it seems to give me hold but also its not stiff, my hair just feels good with this gel. If I get heavy handed it scrunches out and doesnt feel stiff. It is also thinner so its easier to distribute through my hair. The biggest plus of all is it doesnt dry my hair out at all in fact it feels really moisturized when using this gel.

It gets good reviews over at NC.com the creme also gets good reviews but I havent tried it.

Curlsgirl
March 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Hi Missy! I tried La Bella Lots of curls in the pink bottle from reading over there and I think I like it but can't tell because I used it over the KCKT and KCCC. I didn't use the gel this last time I washed and I find I may not need it at all. This stuff if really good for volume and no frizz. It does stretch out some of the curl but not that much really. I LOVE the way my hair is doing. It's a keeper for sure! I am thinking now that maybe the Re:coil was drying my hair out. I had heard others say that it can do that. It's not nearly as dry with the KCKT and KCCC. and I didn't have to use nearly as much of it or of the coconut oil :ponder:

missy60
March 25th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I think the RR was sort of drying my hair out to thats why I think the Biotera is moisturizing to my hair. It could just be winter is just drying on my hair I dont know but I do love the curl I get with the RR. I havent used it in a while I might go back and try it tomorrow and see how my hair does.

Curlsgirl
March 25th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I think the RR was sort of drying my hair out to thats why I think the Biotera is moisturizing to my hair. It could just be winter is just drying on my hair I dont know but I do love the curl I get with the RR. I havent used it in a while I might go back and try it tomorrow and see how my hair does.I know I am probably in the minority of curlies here when I say I did not really like the RR. It just seemed to be drying but maybe I didn't use it right. I used to not use a leave-in moisturizer until I got the BWC leave in. But you know I like the KCKT a LOT better!

Kelsey
March 25th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Yes, warmer weather will be nice. I would not say that I have super curly hair, but it is wavy, and curlier than it was when I was younger. Seems to have turned wavy, after I got a perm years and years ago. I have found that it is really easy to French braid curly hair.

Curlsgirl
March 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Kelsey! Yes I agree about braiding! I have tried to braid straight slick hair and could NOT do it!!

BotticelliBabe
March 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I just figured out today that my hair doesn't like magnesium sulfate, and that's in JCCC, JCRR, and JCAIS. It makes my hair curl up really nicely, but then when it's bone dry (that stage past "still cool to the touch"), then it starts to tangle up really badly around my shoulders - so much so that it mats up and feels like felt.

I know that it's the magsulfate because today, I used a plethora of glycerine instead of any of my JC styling stuff, and my hair was much less dry and tangled much MUCH less, plus it was even SOFT!! :cheese: And yes, crazy though you think I may be, I used KY warming on my ends. :agape:

I have decided that magsulfate and my hair are NOT friends.
my hair--> :slap: <--magsulfate

CurlyNinja
March 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Meeee too BotticelliBabe! No magnesium sulfate, no protein, no sulfates, no cones, no kidding!! I have got some picky picky hair.

Curlsgirl, I agree with Missy60, the Biotera gel is just a nice, clean simple gel. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated, nothing that won't get long with other products. I've tried several other gels, but right now the Biotera is my staple because it's so inexpensive and easy to distribute through the length as my hair gets longer. It's not a miracle product, and I think that's where its strength is, ironically.

girlcat36
March 25th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I find magnesium sulfate very drying to my hair after a couple uses.
Boticellibabe, your hair is beautiful!

redcelticcurls
March 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I'm another who can't use much magnesium sulfate. So no cones, no sulfates, no protein, no panthenol, no ms, no coconut oil straight. Bleh. What a pain.

Some people who can't handle ms in liquid form can handle it better in a cream form such as re:coil. Re:coil doe shave protein though.

redcelticcurls
March 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I find magnesium sulfate very drying to my hair after a couple uses.
Boticellibabe, your hair is beautiful!

Her hair is quite gorgeous.

BB, you should tell your Devacut story. I can't believe how much different your hair looked after that cut.

BotticelliBabe
March 26th, 2008, 08:10 AM
You know what, RCC? The real beauty of that cut was the fact that it wasn't a Devacut at all - just a $14 cut at my local salon, and a blessing that the salon owner knew EXACTLY what needed to be done to give me what I wanted. :cheese:

So yeah - a few weeks ago, I got some long layers put in, because my hair desperately needed some of the curl drag to be released. After lots of anxiety and nervousness as she snipped and snipped, I went home and did my hair...and CELEBRATED. It was so bouncy and full of new life, and she hardly took off any length at all! It was exactly what I had in mind...and how often does THAT happen in a salon??? *lol*

If you'd like to see, you can check out my fotki albums:
http://public.fotki.com/BotticelliBabe/
pword: boing

Babyfine
March 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Not a curly here- only a wavy(2a-b) but I agree about the magnesium sulfate.
I absolutly love the Jessicurl Conditioners., especially the Aloeba and the Too Shea, and I love the shampoos,and the styling products really make my loose waves tighter but I can only use them once in a while as they also dry out my hair, too.

missy60
March 26th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I know I am probably in the minority of curlies here when I say I did not really like the RR. It just seemed to be drying but maybe I didn't use it right. I used to not use a leave-in moisturizer until I got the BWC leave in. But you know I like the KCKT a LOT better!

Wow not thats real praise coming from you I have heard you rave about the BWC. I have got to try it now Im not sure if I will get both or not I dont want to take a chance on less curl. I started using a leave in when I was using RR because I noticed dryness and tangles, but I just thought it was my hair.

I have read alot about Recoil and the ms drying out peoples hair but it took me almost a whole bottle of RR to figure out that it was causing it. I kept a little though to use when I want more curl I just have to make sure I use more leave in.

I also wanted to brag BB and CurlyNinja's awesome curls.

redcelticcurls
March 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
You know what, RCC? The real beauty of that cut was the fact that it wasn't a Devacut at all - just a $14 cut at my local salon, and a blessing that the salon owner knew EXACTLY what needed to be done to give me what I wanted. :cheese:

So yeah - a few weeks ago, I got some long layers put in, because my hair desperately needed some of the curl drag to be released. After lots of anxiety and nervousness as she snipped and snipped, I went home and did my hair...and CELEBRATED. It was so bouncy and full of new life, and she hardly took off any length at all! It was exactly what I had in mind...and how often does THAT happen in a salon??? *lol*

If you'd like to see, you can check out my fotki albums:
http://public.fotki.com/BotticelliBabe/
pword: boing

Funny, I don't know why I thought your cut was a Deva. But, that has to be one of the best curlycuts I've seen. It's nice to see that one can get to waist and still work around curl drag.

BotticelliBabe
March 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Aww thanks, missy60! The pic I have in my avatar isn't that old, but I have had a cut since I took it. Although not much length was taken off, I get a lot more curl now when I plop, so it shrinks up to just past my shoulders when I take it out of a 12 hour or longer plop! *lol* Of course, all I have to do it spritz a little aloe & glycerine (something I concocted with some fragrace oil that makes it smell like fresh fruits...YUM!) on it and it loosens up a little, but still stays bouncy. But the curls have so much more life now than they used to, so it's totally worth it. Now I can just let it grow again (I've never been a frequent trimmer/cutter - it makes me too nervous! *lol*)

RCC, you are so sweet. MUAH! :inlove:

missy60
March 26th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I have actually seen your recent cut on your fotki. Very pretty!

I seen CurlyNinja's hair on the blogs when you first click on them it just take you to a random blog and hers popped up.

Not to leave anyone else out but I think I have already told the rest of you what awesome hair you have. What a beautiful group of curlies there are on this thread.

CurlyNinja
March 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Aww, thank you missy60!!!

:flowers:

madisonclare
March 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Hey all another curly/wurly gurl here. Got a question for ya...

I have just started embracing my curly/wavy hair. I used to blow dry and flat iron my hair and occasionally wear it curly. I am in the process of growing out my chemically treated colored hair and have not touched a blow dryer or flat iron in months.
I still have not found a routine that has worked for me but I S&C every three days. I know that I must use gel and am currently using Herbal Essences set me up. I have to scrunch my hair the entire time it is drying or else it becomes frizzy, and straight/wavy. I have also noticed that when I do get the defined curls I want it feels really dry and crunchy.(probably too much gel) I am going to get the ingredients for the glycerine/oil mix tonight and try that tomorrow.

any suggestions? and is scrunching so much going to damage the hair? oh, and BTW it seems my damaged hair curls up easier than my healthy hair.:confused:

missy60
March 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I would say your guess is right about to much gel. the only way I get crunchy dry hair with gel is if I apply to much and just let it dry without touching it. Since you are scrunching your hair the whole time it is drying you shouldnt get crunch at all. Have you tried leaving in some of your conditioner or using a leave in under your gel. That helps me alot

CurlyNinja
March 26th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hey all another curly/wurly gurl here. Got a question for ya...

I have just started embracing my curly/wavy hair. I used to blow dry and flat iron my hair and occasionally wear it curly. I am in the process of growing out my chemically treated colored hair and have not touched a blow dryer or flat iron in months.
I still have not found a routine that has worked for me but I S&C every three days. I know that I must use gel and am currently using Herbal Essences set me up. I have to scrunch my hair the entire time it is drying or else it becomes frizzy, and straight/wavy. I have also noticed that when I do get the defined curls I want it feels really dry and crunchy.(probably too much gel) I am going to get the ingredients for the glycerine/oil mix tonight and try that tomorrow.

any suggestions? and is scrunching so much going to damage the hair? oh, and BTW it seems my damaged hair curls up easier than my healthy hair.:confused:

It sounds like your hair needs lots of moisture after all the stress its been through, what shampoo and conditioner are you using? When I use the HE set me up I use only 2 or 3 nickel-sized blobs for my hair and that is plenty, how much do you usually use?

madisonclare
March 26th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the responses CurlyNinja and Missy 60:)

I've been using Mane 'n Tail S & C and sometimes alternate with Back to Basics Raspberry Almond reparative S & C. I tried to CWC but I think the conditioner was too heavy. My hair felt weighed down and greasy. I need to purchase a lighter conditioner and I will try it again.

With the gel I put in a nickel size amount when it's still pretty damp and a couple times again throughout the drying process. I know it's probably too much but if I don't, it's a frizzy straight /wavy mess.

I haven't tried using a leave-in. I just normally condition in the shower. what kind do you recommend?

rhubarbarin
March 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
How many of the wurlies here comb their hair out with good result? I am pretty sure I am a 2c/3a, and my hair sometimes gets a little too flat and clumpy a few days after a wash.. but somehow, no matter what I do, combing (with a wide-tooth comb or with fingers) just makes it into a puff ball. I want to be able to just seperate it enough to get fluffy waves and curls.. does this mean I actually have curls, not wurls? I seem to recall a lot of people mentioning combing out or detangling their hair while dry..

missy60
March 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM
How many of the wurlies here comb their hair out with good result? I am pretty sure I am a 2c/3a, and my hair sometimes gets a little too flat and clumpy a few days after a wash.. but somehow, no matter what I do, combing (with a wide-tooth comb or with fingers) just makes it into a puff ball. I want to be able to just seperate it enough to get fluffy waves and curls.. does this mean I actually have curls, not wurls? I seem to recall a lot of people mentioning combing out or detangling their hair while dry..

What works for me is to lightly mist then I can run my finger through my hair gently or just basically touch the comb to it to seperate a little.

madisonclare I use about 2 nickle sized amounts in my hair one in the front and one in the back. I have been using AOHR as my leave in lately and its working good so far but I havent found my HG leave in yet. I use to use Garnier sleek and shine leave in before that and thats about all the experience I have with a leave in. I use to blow dry and curl or use the flat iron so Im sort of a new curlie to. Have you check out Jessicurl website she has great video's, something on there might help you with styling your curl. You dont have to use her products but since you do scrunch the whole time maybe plopping would be helpful to you. She calls it plunking http://www.jessicurl.com/Demo-Videos-p-6.html that might help your hair since it would be the same effect without touching it while it drying. It might help to cut down on the frizz

I just realized you are exactly the same hair type as me so I will caution you about leave ins just use maybe a pea size amount at first then move up from there. AOHR is a great all around conditioner for my hair it seems thick but it gives me alot of volume and doesnt weigh my hair down at all. Since CWC doesnt work for you I basically shampoo my scalp and just let the suds run down the length without conditioner on them,I then condition the length.

groque
March 26th, 2008, 11:28 PM
is there anything I can do to get my curls to come back in? I had my son last year and I noticed around Christmas that my top part was completely straight and the ends were just a stringy wave. Nothing is getting the beautiful curls to come back in.

does anyone have suggestions on how they handled this problem if they ever had this problem?

nappywomyn
March 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM
is there anything I can do to get my curls to come back in? I had my son last year and I noticed around Christmas that my top part was completely straight and the ends were just a stringy wave. Nothing is getting the beautiful curls to come back in.

does anyone have suggestions on how they handled this problem if they ever had this problem?

Have you tried a baking soda rinse? That pops my curls back into my hair like NOTHING else.

If your hair is growing out straight though - chalk it up to hormones, and I don't think you can do anything about it..... :(

madisonclare
March 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Thank you Missy60. I just went to the website. I'm going to try the plopping method. That will definitely help me to avoid the urge to scrunch the entire time as well. I also bought a new conditioner yesterday and did a CWC last night. My curls came out real nice no frizz. The only problem is they have fallen a little today.

Thanks for all the help!

groque
March 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Where do I find the directions for a baking soda rinse. Would a clarifying shampoo do the same thing?

hairg33k
March 27th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone! :waving:

Wow, this is the first time that i've been on TLHC since it's been down. That was a while! Anywho, i'm a wurly (2c). The warmer the weather has gotten here, my hair seems to stay the same. Where i live, it's still not warm enough for my liking. I think ever since TLHC had been down i hadn't been spending as much time on my hair and doting it as much, so now i really need to get back into routine.

Today is my second day of CO. Tomorrow will be a wash day (yay!), i've found that my wurls are always better after they have been washed. My scalp is pretty oily, but nothing a good Snowy's Scalp Massage can't fix! I haven't been using my oils or shea butter lately either, just my aloe gel daily. Hopefully i can get my hair and routine back in shape soon!

girlcat36
March 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Have you tried a baking soda rinse? That pops my curls back into my hair like NOTHING else.

If your hair is growing out straight though - chalk it up to hormones, and I don't think you can do anything about it..... :(

nappywoman---how often do you use baking soda, and how much do you use? I find that it makes my hair curlier, but I have heard that it can be damaging to your hair. The way I see it, though, it can't be more damaging to my hair than cones were.

Curlsgirl
March 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hi Curlfriends!

I use baking soda occasionally in my regular shampoo, just about a teaspoon or less, mix it up really well and I don't rub it in just work it in a little bit and that's enough to clarify really well for me. My regular conditioner and leave-in seems to be enough anymore to counteract the dryness it causes.

I think BWC leave-in is a really good light leave-in but recently I have been LOVING the Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in. I only have to use about a quarter size amount for all of my hair and it is easy to work through too. Along with the Custard my hair is not dry like it was and I get good soft shiny moisturized curls. Sometimes I use coconut oil on top of it for a little more shine in between shampoos.

Lately with that combo, I have been using CWC with Paul Mitchell color protect shampoo and VO5 strawberries and cream.

When I first came here and had a lot of old chemical damage my hair was VERY dry and I used more moisture in the form of 2nd conditioners and leave-ins. It took more for a while. I find the healthier my hair the less I can use.

Good to see all the new curlies and ones who have wandered back in!!! :cheese:

Starr
March 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I find that it's the same for me Curlsgirl- the healthier my hair is, the less I have to use to keep it looking great. And I have to say that I'm loving your new siggie, your hair is getting so long!

CurlyOne
March 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Has anyone tried the Naked Naturals line of shampoo and conditioner? Right now I am WO with light shampoo but I think I have figured my hair out.

Doesn't like cones but is still too fussy to go WO. I think it responds to natural products best.

ETA: I just thought of something, what if it isn't the comes but the harsh cleaning agents in the regular shampoos and conditioners that hurts my hair. Humm... off to look for more stuff to try.

Smokie
March 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Hokay. I think it's time I finally do this. I've been very uncertain about my hairtype lately so I decided to take measures to fix it. I've been thinking 3b/c but I'm unsure. Here's a picture.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300996.jpg

Post BS/ACV wash. No conditioner. No product. Didn't comb. Left it in a turbie until not so drippy then down to dry. It was still very slightly damp ("cool to the touch" damp) when I took the picture. Figured I'd take a couple since I was going this route for a henna anyway.

Oh, and here's what it does when I give it conditioner and a bit of AGO. Combed through, no scrunching or plopping ever. Just lift the roots occasionally to prevent flatness on top.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300938-1.jpg

What's my hairtype?

redcelticcurls
March 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Hi Smokie!

I'd say a lose 3b. I don't see any 3c in the pics. 3c curls are usually pretty tight.

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 08:01 AM
3b sounds right to me too, GORGEOUS hair!!!! :thud:

RCC, question about the KCKT AGAIN! Do you diffuse dry or let dry naturally? It seemed when I let it dry naturally it did better BUT it takes SO long to dry!

I find a combo of about a quarter sized amount of the KCKT combined with three finger scoops of KCCC is about right for me. It dries pretty hair with this but scrunches out beautifully.

What amounts do you use? I can't remember if you told me or not. I am really loving this stuff. My hair stays so soft for days, not like the AG re:coil which was leaving it drier.

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I find that it's the same for me Curlsgirl- the healthier my hair is, the less I have to use to keep it looking great. And I have to say that I'm loving your new siggie, your hair is getting so long!Awwwwwww thanks so much!!!!!

Has anyone tried the Naked Naturals line of shampoo and conditioner? Right now I am WO with light shampoo but I think I have figured my hair out.

Doesn't like cones but is still too fussy to go WO. I think it responds to natural products best.

ETA: I just thought of something, what if it isn't the comes but the harsh cleaning agents in the regular shampoos and conditioners that hurts my hair. Humm... off to look for more stuff to try.:waves hello to a fellow product junkie!:

No I haven't tried that particular line.

nappywomyn
March 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM
nappywoman---how often do you use baking soda, and how much do you use? I find that it makes my hair curlier, but I have heard that it can be damaging to your hair. The way I see it, though, it can't be more damaging to my hair than cones were.

Hrm. I use it about once every 8 weeks on a regular (I do it before I henna, without fail) and sometimes I'll do it once between henna's - but very rarely, as I don't use cones, and I don't use a lot of products, generally.
I can see if you used it too frequently, it could be rather stripping, but otherwise - I think it would be fine.

I don't know how much I use - if I had to eyeball it - maybe 2-3 tablespoons? If I'm in a hurry, I'll just mix it with water, pour over my head, and pat. :lol: If I'm being more leisurely (or my hair has been whinging about being dry lately) I'll mix it with conditioner, work it though my hair, let sit for 15-20 minutes, and rinse out.

*thinks* I don't think I've really noticed different results with the different methods....

madisonclare
March 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM
So as I said I was going to try the CWC again. I bought some cone free Conditioner (V05 S&C) tried it today and my hair absolutely loves it!!! All this time I was buying the more expensive stuff with all the cones and gunk in it. It weighed my hair down so much that it was lifeless. I just thought my hair had changed. I'm so glad I switched. I never would have done this had I not joined TLHC. Oh and I bought some FOTE aloe gel. I was unable to find the glycerine and jojoba oil where I live so I just used the aloe alone. Does anyone know exactly what the glycerine and oil do?? Would it be fine to just keep using the aloe? My hair is almost completely dry and I have never seen this much springiness and life in my curls in 4 years! or longer:D

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 12:05 PM
So as I said I was going to try the CWC again. I bought some cone free Conditioner (V05 S&C) tried it today and my hair absolutely loves it!!! All this time I was buying the more expensive stuff with all the cones and gunk in it. It weighed my hair down so much that it was lifeless. I just thought my hair had changed. I'm so glad I switched. I never would have done this had I not joined TLHC. Oh and I bought some FOTE aloe gel. I was unable to find the glycerine and jojoba oil where I live so I just used the aloe alone. Does anyone know exactly what the glycerine and oil do?? Would it be fine to just keep using the aloe? My hair is almost completely dry and I have never seen this much springiness and life in my curls in 4 years! or longer:D

If your hair is doing great then keep it up with what you have got! Glycerine is a humectant and helps with moisture for some people in certain seasons and climates and oils help seal in moisture and/or prevent breakage by protecting hair. You can get both of these in a health food store, get the vegetable glycerine and it only takes a tiny bit mixed with something (don't use it alone!) some use it in a leave-in or in a conditioner or even SMT. On the oil, you might first try some extra virgin olive oil if you have it around the house. It's great stuff just don't be tempted to overdo it at first. Try smoothing just a tiny bit over your canopy and see the shine! I rub it in to my ends too to help protect them. My favorite is unrefined virgin coconut oil worked into damp hair after washing. I also use coconut anytime my hair feels dry between washings. It really isn't that expensive when you consider how long a tub of it lasts. I get the Spectrum organics brand in a huge tub for like $12 at my health food store. HTH!

groque
March 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM
well, I didn't do a clarifying rinse but I don't know what I wasn't doing before because my curls came back in. I just scrunched and left in place with duck bill clamps and it even gave my roots a lift. my curl isn't as tight but it is looking so much better.

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I don't know how to feel about it.
On the one hand, the dryness of the winter is KILLING my hair and scalp.
On the other hand, summer here means 100 deg. F and very high humidity.
I'm looking forward to the humidity, it will be so good for my hair, but I am
not looking forward to the heat this year, for some reason. Not at all.

groque
March 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM
me too. live in the houston area and omg it gets brutal out here. the past two weeks have been gorgeous and I had to talk my family into going to the park because they though it was too warm. are you kidding me. it was 85 with a nice breeze. in the summer here it can get into 100s with a lot of freaking humidity. we ended up going for ice cream afterwards. we had a blast.

Mahars
March 30th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Hey Curlsgirl, I just finished the thread and now I really want to buy KCCC. You guys are such enablers, but I should have known that would be true with a bunch of curlies. :p It's funny how curlies are so much more into products, I guess because we NEED them to avoid looking like frizzball chea pets. :cheese:

Anyway, I digress. I want the KCCC but I can't get the KCKT to go with it because my boyfriend is deathly allergic to tropical fruits, including mangoes - the first ingredient. I do have the BWC leave-in though, and I was thinking of using that with the KCCC. Have you tried that combo yet? If not, would you consider being my guinea pig and giving it a shot? I'm a student on a budget, and I really don't want to spring for the KCCC if it won't work for me. I would be eternally greatful!

Chamomile betty
March 30th, 2008, 07:22 AM
First, welcome back those who have been off and welcome to all the newbies to this thread :)

So as I said I was going to try the CWC again. I bought some cone free Conditioner (V05 S&C) tried it today and my hair absolutely loves it!!!

I love V05 S&C's. They give me moisture, detangle, and do not weight my hair down.

I did pick up some White Rain because it was only 75cents a bottle and I wanted to try something different - S&C Lavender Vanilla and Citris.
I didn't really the shampoo had the harsh ingredients so I'll give those two away. I am still out on how my hair feels with the conditioner. It seems my hair is a little weighted down and needs a lot of detangling. I don't think it does as good a job as the V05 but for the $ it was worth trying.

I hoping to do a deep conditioning treatment today with Ion Reconstruction Treatment. I can handle the protein and the smell is divine :agree:

redcelticcurls
March 30th, 2008, 07:33 PM
3b sounds right to me too, GORGEOUS hair!!!! :thud:

RCC, question about the KCKT AGAIN! Do you diffuse dry or let dry naturally? It seemed when I let it dry naturally it did better BUT it takes SO long to dry!

I find a combo of about a quarter sized amount of the KCKT combined with three finger scoops of KCCC is about right for me. It dries pretty hair with this but scrunches out beautifully.

What amounts do you use? I can't remember if you told me or not. I am really loving this stuff. My hair stays so soft for days, not like the AG re:coil which was leaving it drier.

Curlsgirl, I usually diffuse dry since I'm lazy and prefer the volume.

I did do an overnight plop with it though and it seemed to work well.

I use about a quarter amount of each, and sometimes more KCKT if I need it.

Smokie
March 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the responses y'all. Now that I've got a fair amount of undamaged regrowth I'm starting to remember what my hair was like before all the chemicals, cones, and heat. I also think the henna's loosened things up a bit (yay!) so it's looking more like it did curl-wise when I was much younger. So I definitely think y'all are right about the 3b thing. Hmm... Maybe when all I have is henna only hair it'll be 2c/3a. That'd be awesome.

shell78
March 30th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm a curly checking in. I've been hanging around at naturallycurly for a year, and have lurked here a bit, missed the board while it was down and finally decided to register and start posting.

I've been playing with aloe vera gel + la bella lots of curls gel (thanks to the tip I found here about aloe vera + glycerin + coconut oil) and have also tried re:coil with coconut oil (used way too much oil the first time, yipe)

I also picked up a Mason-Pearson rake comb since one of my wide-tooth combs cracked the other day. I think I'm going to love it.

Starr
March 31st, 2008, 12:32 AM
Welcome Shell78!

Enter at your own risk, this thread can make a curly go broke very quickly. . . especially since Redcelticcurls and Curlsgirl know how to write a very tempting reviews!

~Anyways~

I had an amazing curl day today, my hair decided to cooperate for once. Unfortunately almost no one noticed because there were 9 bazillion screaming toddlers at my nieces birthday party- my own daughter being one of the loudest. :rolleyes:

But my husband's great grandmother Estelle did notice (she's a curly too). . . she walked right up to me, touched my hair and leaned in and whispered "Your hair is looking so beautiful and healthy lately. I'm so glad you've decided keep it long." Then she gave me a hug, rubbed my belly (I'm pregnant), and went back to her seat.

Needless to say that made my day.:D

shell78
March 31st, 2008, 12:33 PM
Welcome Shell78!
Enter at your own risk, this thread can make a curly go broke very quickly. . . especially since Redcelticcurls and Curlsgirl know how to write a very tempting reviews!

I know! I'm ignoring the kinky-curly raves because I know it will be too heavy for my fine hair. I've been at naturallycurly for a year and haven't managed to become a product junkie so I think I'll be okay. Maybe. Unless y'all start talking about hair toys. I love my flexi-8s but don't really have anything else since I wear my hair down most of the time.

pariate
March 31st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hey ladies

Remember my success with the AGO mix mentioned on this thread? That was shortlived but only because I was so blinkered by my initial success that I'd completely neglected to keep applying my Biolage conditioner mixed with a few drops of oil as a leave-in. Consequently my hair completely lost that lovely "supple" feeling it has when it's well-conditioned. D'oh! I washed my hair on Saturday and applied the AGO mixture while it was still wet. I applied some of my leave-in conditioning mix on Sunday when it had completely dried. My hair is back to supple and shiny with improved curl definition thanks to the AGO mix ;)

Note to self - don't neglect the basics when adding a new factor to my routine!

CurlyNinja
March 31st, 2008, 02:00 PM
Welcome, Shell78! There are several of us who are members at both nc.com and here, like myself (aka msjanani). I'm sure you'll have a good time here. :)

Curlsgirl
March 31st, 2008, 02:46 PM
Did I hear my name? I am innocent I tell you INNOCENT! (adjusts halo) :D

I don't know how the BWC leave-in would work but it seems like the KCKT is the one that works by far the best. Someone else mentioned one of the Burt's Bees conditioners over on the Naturally curly board as working almost as well. I don't know myself.

I substituted the re:coil in place of the KCCC the other day (to save on drying time) and my hair was TERRIBLE! I used the KCKT and re:coil over it. My hair has never been more awful! Granted I did use some gel which I am thinking my hair doesn't really care for that much. It was the HH body envy but it worked okay with the KCKT and KCCC combo. I was so mad about the re:coil doing that over the KCKT! I was going on a trip and there were lots of pics with my hair looking like that :mad: I should have just put it up. Don't know why I didn't! Well I learned something anyway!

Cichelle
March 31st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Welcome Shell78!

~Anyways~

I had an amazing curl day today, my hair decided to cooperate for once. Unfortunately almost no one noticed because there were 9 bazillion screaming toddlers at my nieces birthday party- my own daughter being one of the loudest. :rolleyes:

But my husband's great grandmother Estelle did notice (she's a curly too). . . she walked right up to me, touched my hair and leaned in and whispered "Your hair is looking so beautiful and healthy lately. I'm so glad you've decided keep it long." Then she gave me a hug, rubbed my belly (I'm pregnant), and went back to her seat.

Aw, what a wonderful hair day! That was a sweet story, even with the screaming toddlers. (I remember it well!)

Mahars
March 31st, 2008, 10:25 PM
Oh bummer that KCCC doesn't seem to work as good with other leave-ins. I'm thinking I might try Jessicurl now. I went on their website, and the pictures were unreal. Have any of you tried Jessicurl before? Are the results really that good? Some of the products have magnesium sulphate and I remember reading something about magnesium sulphate somewhere in this thread, but I'm not sure what it is or why it's bad. Any ideas?

rhubarbarin
April 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM
I don't know how the BWC leave-in would work but it seems like the KCKT is the one that works by far the best. Someone else mentioned one of the Burt's Bees conditioners over on the Naturally curly board as working almost as well. I don't know myself.

I use BB conditioners as leave-ins, they work better than anything else for me.

I tried the aloe/glycerin/oil mix, and it wasn't enough to keep my hair clumped, except for last few inches that were never coned.. my hair is so dried up, poofy and fly-away that it needs a lot of thick products still. However straight glycerin works great as a serum on dry hair!

ETA:
the vegetable glycerine and it only takes a tiny bit mixed with something (don't use it alone!)

Why not? It it bad for my hair?!

silvergirl
April 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM
A very curly girl here, getting back to her roots :)

pariate
April 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
ETA:

I think that glycerin used alone is thought to suck the moisture out of the hair, rather than the atmosphere, resulting in uber-dry hair! I could be very mistaken though... I'd like to hear feedback on your question too rhubarbarin!

yzkaloha
April 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Phew :dizzy:, I finally finished reading this thread. I go away for a week and boy have I missed out on alot.

nappywomyn, I am with you. My only saving grace is that I don't wear my hair out much, but it is getting warmer out, uh oh...

Starr, Congratulations on the great hair day, and the pregnancy.
Are you still using shea butter on your hair? If so, any tips on methods of application.

Chamomile betty
April 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
I wore my hair in a bun yesterday held by a hair stick and got a compliment :)
The lady asked me if my hair was curly and I said yes. She commented on how she really liked my hair pulled back that way.

So I guess it was a good day!

I also decided I need to use my detangle comb more than my fingers. I think I am not getting those little knots out of my ends with just the fingers.

coppercurls
April 2nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
I wore my hair in a bun yesterday held by a hair stick and got a compliment :)
The lady asked me if my hair was curly and I said yes. She commented on how she really liked my hair pulled back that way.

So I guess it was a good day!

I also decided I need to use my detangle comb more than my fingers. I think I am not getting those little knots out of my ends with just the fingers.

Good for you on getting a compliment!

I hate those little itty bit knots. I just cut one out earlier today.

Curlsgirl
April 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
I wanna join the Little bitty knot club haters!!!! I have been seeing those too lately. They're really annoying!:rolleyes:

Chamomile Betty, congrats on the compliment! It's wonderful and makes your effort worth it huh?

girlcat36
April 2nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
I use BB conditioners as leave-ins, they work better than anything else for me.

I tried the aloe/glycerin/oil mix, and it wasn't enough to keep my hair clumped, except for last few inches that were never coned.. my hair is so dried up, poofy and fly-away that it needs a lot of thick products still. However straight glycerin works great as a serum on dry hair!

ETA:

It will dry your hair out more if not used with something wet/moisturizing such as aloe gel.
And some hair just does not like glycerin at all.
It has worked great on my hair, but I have weird hair that hates coconut oil and pretty much everything else, for that matter.

suicides_eve
April 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
hello i'm popping in with a question :

How can i encourage the spiral curls i have forming?
After choping off BSL of bleach fried hair what i remembered as wavy hair is in fact trying to spiral as i gain length with my new virgin hair. i have only recently began to notice it after i had a trim to even all my layers that they are becoming slightly tighter and spiraly-ier.
Any advice??

girlcat36
April 2nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
If your hair is not too dry, using products with magnesium sulfate encourages the spirals. I find that a baking soda rinse also makes my hair curlier, although many people do not like a baking soda rinse.

suicides_eve
April 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
If your hair is not too dry, using products with magnesium sulfate encourages the spirals. I find that a baking soda rinse also makes my hair curlier, although many people do not like a baking soda rinse.
lol thats also what raised my interest in it the way my hair looked after a good clarifying rinse. hmm.. can you mix the baking soda in a mister (very diluted) and use for occasional use? has any one tried this?

Curlsgirl
April 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
lol thats also what raised my interest in it the way my hair looked after a good clarifying rinse. hmm.. can you mix the baking soda in a mister (very diluted) and use for occasional use? has any one tried this?

I would not leave the BS in my hair but that's just me. It's way too drying. If you don't use chemical color you can just mix a tiny bit in your shampoo very occasionally. What type of hair do you have? That would help a lot in helping you with a product. Also do you like cones or not?

One of my favorite products when I used cones was easily available but I heard they quit making it. It's Garnier Fructis soft curl creme. It helps form AND hold curls.

If you want no cones, AG re:coil is really good for curl formation and frizz reduction. You have to get it online usually though. Some people use a gel over it but I don't usually.

If you want a gel you might try one by Herbal Essence, body envy seems to be a favorite, or Pantene curl scrunching/defining gel.

It really just depends on your hair and what kind of product you like (cream, gel, curl definer or hold etc.)

http://www.naturallycurly.com has a lot of product reviews for curly girls and tips too if you want to check it out.