PDA

View Full Version : Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

GlassEyes
March 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Forget caoting, I'd slather his hair until it was greasy. Teach him to CO. xD;

Can anyone here make some recommendations for something that hods without being really crunchy? I've been using LA looks gel on top of my conditioner (left in), but I feel like I could be using something better, or at least with a better hold. I don't want to mess with its soft-factor though, because that's fine, or with shine, because that's fine too.

Just like, a glaze thing that holds well. xD I don't want to mess with KCCC or KCKT because I haven't much liked what I've seen of it.

Curlsgirl
March 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Forget caoting, I'd slather his hair until it was greasy. Teach him to CO. xD;

Can anyone here make some recommendations for something that hods without being really crunchy? I've been using LA looks gel on top of my conditioner (left in), but I feel like I could be using something better, or at least with a better hold. I don't want to mess with its soft-factor though, because that's fine, or with shine, because that's fine too.

Just like, a glaze thing that holds well. xD I don't want to mess with KCCC or KCKT because I haven't much liked what I've seen of it.

I like the pink Boot's curl cream but you have to order it from the Brit Super Store or get it from a swap board if you can. You do scrunch out the crunch after it's completely dry don't you? Even with the strongest gel mine ends up very soft if I do that and not crunchy at all. I have the KCKT and KCCC and it's okay but the custard pulls the curl out too much for me. I hardly ever use it. When I use the Boot's I don't even really need a leave-in conditioner. I put quite a bit in it and then let it dry completely on its own, the starting from the ends like an accordian, I scrunch lightly in sections until the crunch is gone.

Curlsgirl
March 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I am hoping to get some advice from you lovely folks about curly hair. My friend has asked me to help detangle his hair that got a little bit matted up. It is few inches past APL and very, very curly, I think 3c. I started a little bit today, but I wanted to ask here before I continue. I was working on it dry, but wasn't sure if wetting it, or putting in conditioner would be better.

I tried with a wide toothed comb, but I ended up just doing finger detangling. He also wanted me to give him some product recommendations, but wasn't sure what to tell him. Curly hair is very different from straight hair! TIA for any advice you have for me!

I would wet it down, coat it with conditioner, finger detangle to get the big tangles, and then go back over it with a wide-tooth comb.

He might like LA Looks sports gel since it can be for a guy too. Just put a little in after he washes it and let it dry then scrunch a bit. It's cheap too. Just be very gently with it when detangling. I almost always detangle like Aries said. You can get a cheap shower comb at any drugstore that works really good for this.

GlassEyes
March 27th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Sometimes I do, most of the time I don't. I've never really HAD to "scrunch the crunch" . :shrug:

I'll give it a shot with LA Looks tomorrow.

julya
March 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Does that LA sport gel help prevent tangles too? I think that's his main concern. I think he likes the big, fluffy kind of look.
I'll see if he'll let me slather it all up with conditioner to get the mats out, he probably won't mind. I have a shower comb that I can use. I think I just need a nice solid block of time to work on it. I'm glad I asked here, because I probably would have just detangled it dry, like I do with my hair.

GlassEyes
March 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, that's a biiiiig mistake with curly hair. xD; Brushes are our kryptonite, or our joker; we just don't get along, and we never, ever will.

And actually, with COing, I don't REALLY have to detangle, honestly. I don't get tangles so much, but combing with conditioner helps me get better definition. So CO might help tangle-wise.

Curlsgirl
March 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Does that LA sport gel help prevent tangles too? I think that's his main concern. I think he likes the big, fluffy kind of look.
I'll see if he'll let me slather it all up with conditioner to get the mats out, he probably won't mind. I have a shower comb that I can use. I think I just need a nice solid block of time to work on it. I'm glad I asked here, because I probably would have just detangled it dry, like I do with my hair.

Oh no the LA Looks won't help prevent tangles. In fact it can dry out my hair a bit. I don't use gel that often. I like creams better. The only thing that does that is keeping the hair contained at least for me. Satin pillowcases help at night too. Not sure that's for a guy but hey maybe!

FrizzBgone
March 28th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I am hoping to get some advice from you lovely folks about curly hair. My friend has asked me to help detangle his hair that got a little bit matted up. It is few inches past APL and very, very curly, I think 3c. I started a little bit today, but I wanted to ask here before I continue. I was working on it dry, but wasn't sure if wetting it, or putting in conditioner would be better.

I tried with a wide toothed comb, but I ended up just doing finger detangling. He also wanted me to give him some product recommendations, but wasn't sure what to tell him. Curly hair is very different from straight hair! TIA for any advice you have for me!

I would definitely wet it and soak the conditioner to it. If you brush/comb curly hair you can end up damaging it. What I find better than any of the wide tooth combs I have is a Denman 8 brush. It is very gentle and does a better job on the tangles without pulling out all the hair.

The best website I've found for curly hair is naturallycurly.com (I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying a name ... if I am - I apologize). There is a forum on that website that includes a product review section. I would point him in that direction.

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I would definitely wet it and soak the conditioner to it. If you brush/comb curly hair you can end up damaging it. What I find better than any of the wide tooth combs I have is a Denman 8 brush. It is very gentle and does a better job on the tangles without pulling out all the hair.

The best website I've found for curly hair is naturallycurly.com (I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying a name ... if I am - I apologize). There is a forum on that website that includes a product review section. I would point him in that direction.

You're not! It's fine. I do over there some, really good help and nice peeps!

DotDotDot
March 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I just found this tip:

"To curl your hair and make it look trim, instead of wetting it just as you are dressing it, as women generally do, wring out a towel in very hot water and wrap it round the head. It will moisten but not wet the hair, bring out all its curl, and make the hair easy to dress."
(Ann Harding - her article is here: http://www.1920-30.com/fashion/1927-hairstyles.html)

I'm wondering if this would save some time in the morning, I'm still having trouble with bedhead.

Okay, this was pretty much an epic fail for me. I tried it and left the towel on my head for about 10 minutes, then took my hair out. Much to my dismay I had about 2a waves and my hair was about 99% dry. Upon finishing my experiment, I promptly stuck my head under the faucet. :D

Freija
March 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hello! I think I count as a curly now - I get loose spirals when I air-dry and leave my bamboo comb alone!

One question - has anyone discovered a way to keep fine, tangle-prone hair neat without combing it through? Every time I do, the curl gets pulled apart into waves!

GlassEyes
March 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hello! I think I count as a curly now - I get loose spirals when I air-dry and leave my bamboo comb alone!

One question - has anyone discovered a way to keep fine, tangle-prone hair neat without combing it through? Every time I do, the curl gets pulled apart into waves!
Combing while wet with conditioner in does this for me.

Though be glad you can detangle dry; if my hair turned into waves when it was combed instead of EXPLODING I'd be pretty happy. XD

Also, I just ordered some Boots off the britsuperstore site, though I've no idea if I got the pink or white. I just did it on a whim because the price was low (though the shipping cost more, it was still far less than I've spent in the past), and I got two.

I figure if I HATE it it'll convince me to finally start a swap thread and offload some of this stuff I've amassed. I have Giovanni, Curls, Mixed Chicks, and a bunch of products I DON'T bloody use. xDhttp://forums.longhaircommunity.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=523068;

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Combing while wet with conditioner in does this for me.

Though be glad you can detangle dry; if my hair turned into waves when it was combed instead of EXPLODING I'd be pretty happy. XD

I can understand that. It annoys me horribly. If I try to detangle, it explodes, and if I don't take a long time detangling, half curls and the other half starts trying to dread, 'd sure love one OR the other. :rolleyes:

FrizzBgone
March 29th, 2009, 07:46 AM

They say you shouldn't ever comb/brush curly hair when it is dry. It'll always pull out the curl, make it frizzy and it could cause damage. Part of my learning to accept my curly hair was to realize that it would never look the same as someone with straight hair. I used to envy their 'neat professional' hair and found mine looked wild and unruly.

I never comb or brush my hair when it is dry - only when it is wet. I learned after finding nc.com that I wasn't using near enough products in my hair. I also thought that you only used one styler at a time; it never occurred to me to layer styling products. Once you find some products that work for you, you have to make sure that you're using enough of them. You'll still get strands of hair that don't match the rest of your head if you don't get all the product distributed equally.

I always have to use a leave-in conditioner - that alone helps cut out the frizz and makes my hair much healthier. After I comb the conditioner through (I usually use a Denman brush for that), I finger comb my curl cream through - once with my head tipped upside down and again when my head is up ... otherwise I miss the back centre of my head! I then 'plop' my hair into a Curlease towel and put my makeup on. After I take it out of the towel, I'll scrunch in a bit of gel and dry my hair using a diffuser.

I diffuse my hair until the curls are well formed. If I diffuse too long, it'll make it frizzy, but my hair takes forever to dry so air drying isn't an option for me. If I do this, my curls don't look messy. I usually get well defined curls with little to no frizz. Mid-day, I'll often use a curl boosting spray or conditioning butter and scrunch it in. It helps pump the curls back up and renews the curl definition.

The jessicurl.com website has a video on "plunking"; naturallycurly.com calls it 'plopping' :eyebrows: .... I won't even tell you what my husband said to me when he saw me talking about plopping on my computer !!

HTH ... it may be alot more information than you were looking for !!

FrizzBgone
March 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM

They say you shouldn't ever comb/brush curly hair when it is dry. It'll always pull out the curl, make it frizzy and it could cause damage. Part of my learning to accept my curly hair was to realize that it would never look the same as someone with straight hair. I used to envy their 'neat professional' hair and found mine looked wild and unruly.

I never comb or brush my hair when it is dry - only when it is wet. I learned after finding nc.com that I wasn't using near enough products in my hair. I also thought that you only used one styler at a time; it never occurred to me to layer styling products. Once you find some products that work for you, you have to make sure that you're using enough of them. You'll still get strands of hair that don't match the rest of your head if you don't get all the product distributed equally.

I always have to use a leave-in conditioner - that alone helps cut out the frizz and makes my hair much healthier. After I comb the conditioner through (I usually use a Denman brush for that), I finger comb my curl cream through - once with my head tipped upside down and again when my head is up ... otherwise I miss the back centre of my head! I then 'plop' my hair into a Curlease towel and put my makeup on. After I take it out of the towel, I'll scrunch in a bit of gel and dry my hair using a diffuser.

I diffuse my hair until the curls are well formed. If I diffuse too long, it'll make it frizzy, but my hair takes forever to dry so air drying isn't an option for me. If I do this, my curls don't look messy. I usually get well defined curls with little to no frizz. Mid-day, I'll often use a curl boosting spray or conditioning butter and scrunch it in. It helps pump the curls back up and renews the curl definition.

The jessicurl.com website has a video on "plunking"; naturallycurly.com calls it 'plopping' :eyebrows: .... I won't even tell you what my husband said to me when he saw me talking about plopping on my computer !!

HTH ... it may be alot more information than you were looking for !!

FrizzBgone
March 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM
sorry about the duplicate post, not sure what happened there .... of all posts to have twice :rolleyes:

rhubarbarin
March 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hey curly people,

I am getting ready to post a 'type my hair' thread, just out of curiosity. The rules are 'let your hair dry naturally without any product or manipulation'. With product, my hair is an overall 2c, a 3a on wash day with scrunching, and with an area around my neck that is a very curly 3b. Without it, due to the dryness of my length (which was damaged by cone abuse and Sun-in on the ends) and the incredibly fluffy natural state of my hair, I think I'm more a (poofy) 2a!

I was wondering if any of you can relate. If so, do you count what your hair looks like most of the time as your hair type? I think it would be kind of silly to type myself as a moderate wavy when most of my hair is in ringlets or s-waves 90% of the time.

PurpleAshes
March 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM
This puffyness happens to me too when I use no product, but it happens after a while of bein dry, not inmediatly after it dries.
Maybe this happens to you too?
If it does, you could take the picture before the puffyness takes over :D
Also, using flash could help identify the texture even if it's puffy, I think. You should try it and see how it comes out.

rhubarbarin
March 29th, 2009, 02:42 PM
This puffyness happens to me too when I use no product, but it happens after a while of bein dry, not inmediatly after it dries.
Maybe this happens to you too?
If it does, you could take the picture before the puffyness takes over :D
Also, using flash could help identify the texture even if it's puffy, I think. You should try it and see how it comes out.

Nope, it goes straight from wet strings to dry poof (with the canopy drying first of course), unless there's zero humidity in the air. Holding completely still will help a little but as soon as the bulk of the hair gets any movement, it gets huge.

Well, I haven't tried drying without product for a few months, maybe it will be curlier this time. Won't know til I try!

Lady Lilya
March 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Am I the only curly that uses no conditioner and no leave in and doesn't add anything to the hair? All I use is shampoo, which gets very well rinsed out. Sometimes I spray on some apple cider vinegar at the end and then rinse that out well too. (It makes it shinier.) I get maximum curl from just combing my hair while wet with a part down the middle, then just flipping my head upside down and shaking so the wisps get loosened from sticking to each other.

Someone said we curlies can't get a neat and professional look, but I can. After it is dry, I can roll both sides and clip them in the back, then pull the rest up on top of where I clipped it and arrange it into a bun of curls. I'll try to get a pic soon.

FrizzBgone
March 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Am I the only curly that uses no conditioner and no leave in and doesn't add anything to the hair? All I use is shampoo, which gets very well rinsed out. Sometimes I spray on some apple cider vinegar at the end and then rinse that out well too. (It makes it shinier.) I get maximum curl from just combing my hair while wet with a part down the middle, then just flipping my head upside down and shaking so the wisps get loosened from sticking to each other.

Someone said we curlies can't get a neat and professional look, but I can. After it is dry, I can roll both sides and clip them in the back, then pull the rest up on top of where I clipped it and arrange it into a bun of curls. I'll try to get a pic soon.

I would love it if I didn't have to add MANY products to take care of my curls. You're very lucky if that is all you have to do; if I don't add anything, I get frizzy/puffy hair without any definition.

I'd love to see the hair style you mentioned; it sounds very pretty.

When I went to click on the 'public profile' to see if you had pics loaded, it says I don't have authority to do that ... Is it based on the amount of time I've on the forum ??

If I'm doing something wrong, I'd appreciate if someone could fill me in !! TIA

Lady Lilya
March 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Yeah, you can't see them until a mod approves you for the next level of membership. They usually do that at around 25 posts, I believe.

KBG
March 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hi!

Checking in ~ type 4 mostly - tight curly.

I haven't straightened in a long time so I suppose I'm going for big hair than long hair. My current hair inspiration is jazz musician Esperanza Spalding.

Nocturnal
March 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Checking in!
And of course I have many questions for you, curlies. For those of you who wear your hair down, how often do you wash it? I am trying to work out a routine for myself that would also maximize a curl tightness.
Pre CG and LHC I used to wash my hair about once a week and wear it down for a couple of days (loose, half up or pony tail) and then comb it with some oil and wear it braided or in updos for the rest of the week. I've never been a fan of product in the hair. After learning about CG I've used jojoba oil as a leave in for a while. While it helped preventing tangles and gave more definition than if I used nothing, I feel there can be more definition with other products.
I haven't figured out yet how to properly use gel. I think I don't apply enough when I do, but then again any more and I would have to srunch again when it's dry (and I'm not that patient) and it would be impossible to comb through and braid.
In other words, what should I try for curling cream? I'm cone-free and would like something more natural. And I prefer not to use honey-based products. Please advise, I'm all ears! :)

rhubarbarin
March 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM

I use a lot of product, but I am really a wurly, not a curly. I know a lot of people with tighter curl formation who don't have to use product.. maybe it will even be possible for me someday if I have perfectly healthy hair.

BTW I took my hairtyping photos last night and my hair didn't turn into a poofball! I guess it's 'healing'. I'll post them soon.

Nocturnal
March 30th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Oh, and I'm mostly 3a with spiral curls.

aries
March 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Im starting to get sad over my hair not being so wurly and curly anymore. It seems since I am gaining length, I am loosing my wurly and curly and don't want to. I don't know how to get it back. My thickness is lost as well and really am frustrated/sad over that too.

Thinking about going back to using JessiCurl products to see if I can bring life back to my curls. I would love to be able to keep my corky curls.

Nynaeve
March 31st, 2009, 01:12 AM
Im starting to get sad over my hair not being so wurly and curly anymore. It seems since I am gaining length, I am loosing my wurly and curly and don't want to. I don't know how to get it back. My thickness is lost as well and really am frustrated/sad over that too.

Thinking about going back to using JessiCurl products to see if I can bring life back to my curls. I would love to be able to keep my corky curls.

It has been said that Kimberlily's defrizz spray helps get a little curl into the hair, or helps define them a bit.

Forest
March 31st, 2009, 07:54 AM
Checking in!
And of course I have many questions for you, curlies. For those of you who wear your hair down, how often do you wash it? I am trying to work out a routine for myself that would also maximize a curl tightness.
Pre CG and LHC I used to wash my hair about once a week and wear it down for a couple of days (loose, half up or pony tail) and then comb it with some oil and wear it braided or in updos for the rest of the week. I've never been a fan of product in the hair. After learning about CG I've used jojoba oil as a leave in for a while. While it helped preventing tangles and gave more definition than if I used nothing, I feel there can be more definition with other products.
I haven't figured out yet how to properly use gel. I think I don't apply enough when I do, but then again any more and I would have to srunch again when it's dry (and I'm not that patient) and it would be impossible to comb through and braid.
In other words, what should I try for curling cream? I'm cone-free and would like something more natural. And I prefer not to use honey-based products. Please advise, I'm all ears! :)

I usually wear down on the first day only. Then pony or something for second day, then wash.

I don't see way you couldn't comb and braid later in the week if you have used gel on the first day. I don't have any problem combing with gel in my hair (It doesn't look pretty but I guess that is not an issue when you are planning on braids). Have you tried gel many times or just once-twice? I don't have any other ideas for gel cremes since my hair respond well to gel. I haven't tried many other things.

Do you use any conditioner as a leave-in? That might also help. You could use a regular conditioner for that.

Have you found curltalk over at nc.com? They discuss curl products at great length. :)

GlassEyes
March 31st, 2009, 09:35 AM

Some gel or lighter stuff make work. Jessicurl has a lighter line, so you might really want to look into that.

Overuse of product can stretch out curls, which is sometimes the desired result, sometimes not. :shrug:

Nicole.Amina
March 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM
So I'm thinking its time for some sort of conditioning treatment (or maybe I just feel like pampering myself :rolling: ).

When I oil I can't use gel because for some reason or another oil + gel = ew and no gel = bigger ew. I'm looking for something that won't weigh my hair too much and won't make my hair stringy. Basically I want to retain my curl definition.

I've done modified SMTs (conditioner+aloe gel+molasses) with no noticeable effects. Coconut oil leaves me stringy for a couple of days. Shea butter doesn't go through my hair easily and I lose definition.

I'm also CO. And that's it. Input please!!

pilateschick7
March 31st, 2009, 07:43 PM
I am relatively new to the forum...I have been CG since January. I think I am 3a, length 22 inches with long layers. (wish I had found this site prior to the layer fiasco) I co wash and shampoo bar with ACV and use boots and a light gel, but I like to try new natural products.
I wondered if Jessecurl Rocking Ringlets was a "bad idea" I started using it a few days ago and have decent definition. However, the mag sulfate has me a little nervous. I have read that some folks hair just hates it suddenly. I was uncertain if this involved accruing damage?
Thanks for any advice!:)

Nocturnal
March 31st, 2009, 08:07 PM
Forest and GlassEyes, thank you for your input! Yes, I leave some conditioner (usually Giovanni 'Smooth as Silk') on my length. I've tried gel about 8 times, but I don't really know how to make it work. I think I should try layering products. Right now I have on hand: Mark Anthony Strictly Curls serum, Jason Aloe Vera gel and La Coupe gel. How much product do you think I should use? I am at tail bone right now. Should I use serum and gel by handfuls? Or should it be more like a tablespoon? :confused: I'm thinking to apply MA Strictly curls after condish and scrunch in gel after.

Nicole.Amina, have you tried doing deep oil treatment as a pre-wash?

aries
March 31st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Noctunal and GlassEyes, thank you for reminding me the JC has the lighter line. I always get the heavier line and use heavy moisturising products on my hair because it's habbit. I will try the lighter ones and see how it does. I don't use any product, not even JC to hold curl in my hair because I don't like the feel of any of it so that is out. I think the lighter products may be what the hair doctor ordered heh.

Nicole.Amina
March 31st, 2009, 09:43 PM
Nicole.Amina, have you tried doing deep oil treatment as a pre-wash?

Since I'm CO a lot of the oil remains after I wash my hair and I look oily for the next couple of days until all of the oil has washed out. I'll try again though since it's been a while since I last have.

FrizzBgone
April 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM
Yeah, you can't see them until a mod approves you for the next level of membership. They usually do that at around 25 posts, I believe.

Thanks .... I'm almost there !!!

:cheese:

swirlytresses
April 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM
Checking in!

I have been CG since October of "08 and have tried numerous products......My hair is healthier now than it has ever been since cutting out cones and sulfates..yay! I now use KCCC (kinky curly curling custard), which is all natural and I love this stuff. I found out about it on nc.com. It's kind of like a gel, but is considered a curl enhancer to some and smells kind of like a sugar cookie :). It always leaves my hair soft and shiny no matter what other product I use it with...I originally tried a sample out (from a swap) before purchasing a large container. I don't have to use much in my hair which makes it last me a long time (16 oz =$26 + tax and shipping). HTH.

Forest
April 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM
I'm thinking to apply MA Strictly curls after condish and scrunch in gel after.

Sounds like a good idea to start with. I would guess that you need like a table spoon of the gel since you have such long hair. Don't know about the MA strictly curls.

I think the KCCC suggestion might be worth a try but I haven't tried it my self.

Good luck!

FrizzBgone
April 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM
Checking in!
In other words, what should I try for curling cream? I'm cone-free and would like something more natural. And I prefer not to use honey-based products. Please advise, I'm all ears!

I have been CG since October of "08 and have tried numerous products......My hair is healthier now than it has ever been since cutting out cones and sulfates..yay! I now use KCCC (kinky curly curling custard), which is all natural and I love this stuff. I found out about it on nc.com. It's kind of like a gel, but is considered a curl enhancer to some and smells kind of like a sugar cookie :). It always leaves my hair soft and shiny no matter what other product I use it with...

I sometimes get 2nd day hair, but I often have to wet my hair every day. If I do that, I scrub my head under the water and then condition it. I only use a cleanser on my hair about every 3rd day. I don't need to use more often than that. If I wet my hair, I have to condition it though. I found out about all my products on nc.com. I go between this forum and that one. Cutting out sulfates and cones made a huge difference for me as well. My hair is much healthier and curlier now than it was before.

In addition to curling creams, you may want to consider the curling puddings. They are usually a little lighter than the creams, but work about the same (for me anyway).

Jessicurl is a really nice line. I've heard a number of people say that the mag sulfate causes them problems. I never experienced that, but I also rotate my products daily. The other problem some experience with JC is the oils. Many of the curlies I've spoken to find the oils too much for their hair and it goes stringy and flat. I liked JC, but there are other products I prefer now. The Confident Coils is a good product. It seems to play well with others as well. I've heard many people use that as a curling cream under a gel. I don't find it has enough hold on its own.

Here are a list of the products that are either creams, puddings or are products that I'd use the way I'd use a cream (make sense?? :rolleyes:)

Going Ohm Sweet Hair Pudding (SHP). It is the consistency of mousse and smells amazing (strawberry desert).
Komaza Coconut Curling Pudding. I get amazing curls with this product. I get the same type of curls that I would get from KCCC, but it doesn't take my hair near as long to dry. Even with diffusing, my hair takes forever to dry with KCCC.
Curl Junkie:
Aloe Fix Gel. I use this product as a curl cream. It has a similar consistency to the Komaza Pudding. Before I diffuse, I scrunch in a small amount of gel to give it the extra hold I need.
Coffee Coco Curling Cream. It is a nice cream, but I have to be careful not to put too much in. I find the Aloe Fix easier to work with.
Smoothing Gellie. This product is good-much lighter than the Coffee Coco cream, but my fav is still the Aloe Fix !! If you use the Gellie, they recommend applying some more water in after you've applied the product. It helps activate it.
MOP C-System Curl Defining Cream (Mop-C). It has the consistency of Elmer's Glue, but it works really well. This is a love it or hate it product, but I always get great curls with it.
Afroveda's Curling Custard or Whipped Aloe Gelly. I use both products the same way. The custard is a little richer and might weigh down looser curls. The Aloe Gelly is a lighter product. I scrunch in gel after before diffusing when I use either product.
Curls By Sister Smith Wet Set Pudding (WSP). This was my go-to product all last summer. I still used a gel over it. My favourite combo with this product was karen's body beautiful nectar (leave-in), WSP and Pure Abba Finish gel (firm hold) scrunched in before diffusing. Worked like a charm !! HTH :)

yzkaloha
April 2nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
FrizzBgone,

Thank you for the list of products. I haven't worn my hair down in over a year because I haven't found a product that's all natural and will work to tame my curls. I've been hiding my curls in mostly buns and once in a while they want to let loose, so I will try some of your suggestions.

GlassEyes
April 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Forest and GlassEyes, thank you for your input! Yes, I leave some conditioner (usually Giovanni 'Smooth as Silk') on my length. I've tried gel about 8 times, but I don't really know how to make it work. I think I should try layering products. Right now I have on hand: Mark Anthony Strictly Curls serum, Jason Aloe Vera gel and La Coupe gel. How much product do you think I should use? I am at tail bone right now. Should I use serum and gel by handfuls? Or should it be more like a tablespoon? :confused: I'm thinking to apply MA Strictly curls after condish and scrunch in gel after.

It depends.

First off, you may want to make sure the 'Smooth as Silk' isn't frizzing you out because of protien issues. If not, are you doing Double CO washes, wheere you rinse witha lighter conditioner then use a heavier one after? Doing that helps with my frizz.

After that, try just one of the gels, whichever you prefer, but i'd avoid the serum. It seems like everything else you've mentioned (minus the La coupse gel, that i ahve no idea) has been cone free, and i don't believe MA is.

Anyway, if you do use the serum, it should go on last. They're mostly like glosses. I use a tiny amount of coconut and olive oil as a serum instead.

...I know too much about curly hair for my sanity...:(

Curlsgirl
April 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
I did a DT with Biolage conditioning balm today and Oooooooooo it feels so soft! I have been using Boots pink curl cream without any other products except maybe a little coconut oil. After I scrunch the Boots out, my hair is very soft, fairly defined and "clean" feeling. I have been only washing once a week also. I think minimal treatment has been good to see some growth because I am FINALLY almost like 1 inch from waist when stretched! :cheese: I am not going to count it until it looks waist wavy I think at least in my profile, just want to do that. I know I will be there at least by the end of summer. Of course even an inch curly takes a long time.

Spring is already being good to my hair. My hair loves warmer weather! Who else?

FrizzBgone
April 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
FrizzBgone,

Thank you for the list of products. I haven't worn my hair down in over a year because I haven't found a product that's all natural and will work to tame my curls. I've been hiding my curls in mostly buns and once in a while they want to let loose, so I will try some of your suggestions.

Good Luck !! Give yourself a chance to play with them a bit and find out what amount and combination you need. Usually if I get a lot of frizz, it is because I didn't use enough product or I didn't distribute it evenly. (it can also be the wrong products, but all of those ones work for me, so I don't run into that with the list I gave you ... doesn't mean you won't though :confused:) The other reason I could get frizz is if I diffuse too much.

Stick with it !! Curls are beautiful; it is a shame to keep them all hidden in a bun all the time. Check out naturallycurly.com/curl talk as well. They'll give you some great ideas about product application and product recommendations.

All the best !! :)

FrizzBgone
April 3rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Spring is already being good to my hair. My hair loves warmer weather! Who else?

My hair grows alot faster in the warmer weather, but is also less forgiving. As soon as the humidity comes, my hair can go like a frizz ball if I don't put enough product in it.

Last summer it took me awhile to figure out what worked for me. I had to change almost completely my product routine.

Aries_jb
April 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
FrizzBgone, do you have thick hair? All the products you mentioned sound so wonderful, but my hair is on the thin side so I don't know if they would be too heavy for me to try.

julya
April 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
I had success with getting all the mats out of my friend's tangled hair, and I braided it for him. I ended up being able to get them all out on his dry hair. It sure did get very fluffy! He had been worried that it would be impossible to get the tangles out, it had been that way for over a month!

Thanks for the advice everybody!

camirra555
April 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
This is a great thread! So much info

Nocturnal
April 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
GlassEyes, swirlytresses, Forest and FrizzBgone, thank you for your detailed replies! I really appreciate it! :flower:
I think I've mixed up the names of the products I have.
Burt's Bees sulfate-free shampoo, probably the "Shine" one, don't remember for sure: I usually dilute it a lot.
Nature's Gate Organics Camomille Verbena Conditioner: very moisturizing, I usually rinse it out.
Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner: it actually works quite well to tame the frizz down when I use it as a leave-in, it also prevents tangles a lot. But it makes a hair on my head completely flat, almost like if it's flat ironed. :confused: I guess it's a good thing when I'm going for flat ironed look, but it usually makes me want my volume back. It is also not very moisturizing, I think it's not much proteiny either.
Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Lotion: it's more like a runny custard texture, not serum.
La Coupe Curls Refresh spray (I got rid of gel because of the cones): not sure if it's working or not.
So I washed my hair with shampoo, put NG condish on, brushed with shower comb, put MA Strictly Curls lotion on, then scrunched in Aloe gel, air dried. Results: not much more than 2c, so it's actually less curl than with no product on. I think NG conditioner really weighed my hair down. Probably I should be going for maximum hold with minimum weight in product to achieve more shrinkage and bounce.

I'm reading through nc.com threads too. I have a long list of products to try. I really want to try 'Curls Goddess Glaze'.

yzkaloha
April 4th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Good Luck !! Give yourself a chance to play with them a bit and find out what amount and combination you need. Usually if I get a lot of frizz, it is because I didn't use enough product or I didn't distribute it evenly. (it can also be the wrong products, but all of those ones work for me, so I don't run into that with the list I gave you ... doesn't mean you won't though :confused:) The other reason I could get frizz is if I diffuse too much.

Stick with it !! Curls are beautiful; it is a shame to keep them all hidden in a bun all the time. Check out naturallycurly.com/curl talk as well. They'll give you some great ideas about product application and product recommendations.

All the best !! :)

Thank you for all of your advice!

My biggest problem is Frizz and I have tried many things over the years and nothing has tamed my curls enough to feel comfortable letting them loose. I just ordered the sample kit, so I will let you know how it works out.

I haven't diffused my hair in about two years, but I don't remember getting much frizz just really beautiful curls. But that was with mousse and gels and I no longer use those types of products. I will see what happens this time around.

Once again, Thank you!

curls2grow
April 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get a "messy bun" look? My bun always ends up with my hair pulled back tightly and my bun is this tight little doorknob-looking thing. I would like it to be more casual and less severe-looking, but I can't get that look. My 3b hair is shoulder-length when dry, thin (2" ponytail circumference) and medium-fine texture, so I don't have a lot of hair to play with. I appreciate any tips on how to do this.

Lady Lilya
April 6th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get a "messy bun" look? My bun always ends up with my hair pulled back tightly and my bun is this tight little doorknob-looking thing. I would like it to be more casual and less severe-looking, but I can't get that look. My 3b hair is shoulder-length when dry, thin (2" ponytail circumference) and medium-fine texture, so I don't have a lot of hair to play with. I appreciate any tips on how to do this.

I do that look all the time. I start by pulling individual curls up to where I want the bun located and pin them there. You don't have to pull them very tightly, and that way you don't have hair against the head that looks like it should be smooth but failed. You can still have a little fluff around the face. Then, I fold the remaining length of curl over a little and pin, making sure the loopy part covers the original set of pins, and making sure the second set of pins goes into the center of the bun. You keep doing that for each curl until you run out of length. It takes me only about 5 minutes max.

Copasetic
April 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I just started using aloe vera gel on my hair, and it is working out VERY well. I have much better curl definition than normal.

charlotte meve
April 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Wurly very wurly , curly when short wurly when long.

curls2grow
April 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I just started using aloe vera gel on my hair, and it is working out VERY well. I have much better curl definition than normal. I love AVG. Definiately HG for me to help curls clump better first thing in the morning or to revive my curls before going out at night.

aries
April 8th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I sometimes get 2nd day hair, but I often have to wet my hair every day. If I do that, I scrub my head under the water and then condition it. I only use a cleanser on my hair about every 3rd day. I don't need to use more often than that. If I wet my hair, I have to condition it though. I found out about all my products on nc.com. I go between this forum and that one. Cutting out sulfates and cones made a huge difference for me as well. My hair is much healthier and curlier now than it was before.

In addition to curling creams, you may want to consider the curling puddings. They are usually a little lighter than the creams, but work about the same (for me anyway).

Jessicurl is a really nice line. I've heard a number of people say that the mag sulfate causes them problems. I never experienced that, but I also rotate my products daily. The other problem some experience with JC is the oils. Many of the curlies I've spoken to find the oils too much for their hair and it goes stringy and flat. I liked JC, but there are other products I prefer now. The Confident Coils is a good product. It seems to play well with others as well. I've heard many people use that as a curling cream under a gel. I don't find it has enough hold on its own.

Here are a list of the products that are either creams, puddings or are products that I'd use the way I'd use a cream (make sense?? :rolleyes:)

Going Ohm Sweet Hair Pudding (SHP). It is the consistency of mousse and smells amazing (strawberry desert).
Komaza Coconut Curling Pudding. I get amazing curls with this product. I get the same type of curls that I would get from KCCC, but it doesn't take my hair near as long to dry. Even with diffusing, my hair takes forever to dry with KCCC.
Curl Junkie:
Aloe Fix Gel. I use this product as a curl cream. It has a similar consistency to the Komaza Pudding. Before I diffuse, I scrunch in a small amount of gel to give it the extra hold I need.
Coffee Coco Curling Cream. It is a nice cream, but I have to be careful not to put too much in. I find the Aloe Fix easier to work with.
Smoothing Gellie. This product is good-much lighter than the Coffee Coco cream, but my fav is still the Aloe Fix !! If you use the Gellie, they recommend applying some more water in after you've applied the product. It helps activate it.
MOP C-System Curl Defining Cream (Mop-C). It has the consistency of Elmer's Glue, but it works really well. This is a love it or hate it product, but I always get great curls with it.
Afroveda's Curling Custard or Whipped Aloe Gelly. I use both products the same way. The custard is a little richer and might weigh down looser curls. The Aloe Gelly is a lighter product. I scrunch in gel after before diffusing when I use either product.
Curls By Sister Smith Wet Set Pudding (WSP). This was my go-to product all last summer. I still used a gel over it. My favourite combo with this product was karen's body beautiful nectar (leave-in), WSP and Pure Abba Finish gel (firm hold) scrunched in before diffusing. Worked like a charm !! HTH :)

I do notice heaviness with JC products but it's the only thing I have found that doesn't mess with my scalp as much as other products. I don't use any of their stuff besides shampoo, conditioner and sometimes the softening oil. I thought maybe if I used some of the leave in products to help curls hold it would help.

Where do you get the items you have listed? I haven't heard of them.

Thank you for all the ideas. I am thinking about trying CO again and seeing if that brings curl back also. When I tried it about 3 1/2 years ago, it worked pretty good, I just had to find the right conditioners and now don't remember what they were lol. Cone Free though.

Curlsgirl
April 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Okay I changed my mind. I was looking at my hair after washing tonight and decided to put a belt on at my waist and see if my hair was there yet. When I stretched the longest part in the back it definitely touched it. SO I am counting waist. Now maybe I can forget about it! I do wish it didn't shrink so much but it's still only about an inch and a half away from waist even dry and curly. So I'll take it! I definitely have some growth the last two months from benign neglect! :cheese: It almost ALMOST even feels long!

charlotte meve
April 8th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Copasetic , I am definitely going to try AVG, It sounds like just the thing I'm looking for.

yzkaloha
April 9th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Okay I changed my mind. I was looking at my hair after washing tonight and decided to put a belt on at my waist and see if my hair was there yet. When I stretched the longest part in the back it definitely touched it. SO I am counting waist. Now maybe I can forget about it! I do wish it didn't shrink so much but it's still only about an inch and a half away from waist even dry and curly. So I'll take it! I definitely have some growth the last two months from benign neglect! :cheese: It almost ALMOST even feels long!

Congratulations!:D That is exciting! One day I will get there :).

Nynaeve
April 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM

YAY! Congrats on your milestone. :)

I assure you though, it will feel shorter and shorter if you wish for it to be longer! So, yes, definitely try to forget about it. :p

shaybabe8604
April 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I definitely want to try aloe vera gel, as I am looking for a way to define my curls without manipulating them too much. This thread is a big help!

swirlytresses
April 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I mix aloe vera gel with water and a few drops of Essential Oil and use this as a refresher spray on second or third day hair. I would say a little less than 1/3 of aloe vera gel and the rest water. HTH.

FrizzBgone
April 10th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I do notice heaviness with JC products but it's the only thing I have found that doesn't mess with my scalp as much as other products. I don't use any of their stuff besides shampoo, conditioner and sometimes the softening oil. I thought maybe if I used some of the leave in products to help curls hold it would help.

Where do you get the items you have listed? I haven't heard of them.

Thank you for all the ideas. I am thinking about trying CO again and seeing if that brings curl back also. When I tried it about 3 1/2 years ago, it worked pretty good, I just had to find the right conditioners and now don't remember what they were lol. Cone Free though.

Going Ohm Sweet Hair Pudding (SHP): www.goingohm.com (http://www.goingohm.com) or www.afrokinks.com (http://www.afrokinks.com)
Komaza Coconut Curling Pudding: www.komazacare.com (http://www.komazacare.com) or www.afrokinks.com (http://www.afrokinks.com)
Curl Junkie: www.curljunkie.com (http://www.curljunkie.com)
MOP C-System Curl Defining Cream (Mop-C): www.naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com) (Curlmart), www.sleekhair.com (http://www.sleekhair.com) or www.goddess-within.com (http://www.goddess-within.com)
Afroveda's Curling Custard or Whipped Aloe Gelly: www.afroveda.com (http://www.afroveda.com)
Curls By Sister Smith Wet Set Pudding (WSP): www.curlsbysisterssmith.com (http://www.curlsbysisterssmith.com) I've used Jessicurl's Confident Coils as a curl cream as well. After a leave-in, I finger combed CCSS, plopped using a Curlease towel and then scrunched in some gel. It worked really well.

Afrokinks and Curlmart are a great place to start, because they carry a variety of curly haired products. Afrokinks carries, Jessicurl, Karen's Body Beautiful, GoingOhm, Donna Marie, Curls, Komaza... If I remember correctly, they do charge a handling charge .. but the shipping was comparable to other companies and the customer service was good. Going Ohm and Afroveda sites charge a lot for shipping. They don't give you a lot of options, so you have to pay alot for shipping. I usually order my Ohm products through Afrokinks.

HTH !!! I confess I am a total Product Junkie ... in case the list above didn't already tell you !!!

GlassEyes
April 14th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I just got the tubs of Boots Curl Creme I ordered after Curlsgirl's recommendation. I wound up with the pink container after all (which is what I wanted after reading up on NaturallyCurly).

I'm going to go try it out without any other products and see what happens.

Edit: My mom decided combing my hair out with her fingers was a better idea, so I epic frizz instead. -_-

Runzel
April 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I'm wurly!:joy:

It'll take me a while to read through this whole thread, though. I've already received so many good ideas!

I currently wear my hair up all the time and it's pretty much tangle free with just bun waves or braid waves when I comb while wet and then braid or bun it until dry.

I like the versatility of smooth updos that look like my hair is straight, and I thoroughly enjoy finger combing, but I hope to eventually learn how to let my hair go curly. So far all attempts at air-drying with it down have turned into disasters, and oil just made it worse (I'll have to work on that habit of playing with my hair) but reading all these responses I'm confident that with some practice, trial and error, and a little self-control someday I'll learn to showcase those beautiful waves and ringlets that God gave me!

So thank you everyone for the inspiration and helpful suggestions!

My plan right now is to wait until my recent updo and fingercombing craze has calmed down a bit so that it'll be easier for me to ignore my hair and let it do its thing. In the meantime I'll keep reading! Most of this stuff is new to me and I'm having so much fun learning about it and putting it into practice. :D

charlotte meve
April 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Myhair has split personality.It can't decide if it's wurly or curly. I'm afraid that I'll lose a lot of my texture as it gets longer.

swirlytresses
April 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Any curlies (or wurlies) out there have any hair do's they'd like to share? I have tried several of the hair do's on this site, but I would like to see pictures of "curly/wavy" do's. Thanks.

Heavenly Locks
April 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Newly diagnosed wurly reporting for duty! *salutes*

:)

Nicole.Amina
April 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Any curlies (or wurlies) out there have any hair do's they'd like to share? I have tried several of the hair do's on this site, but I would like to see pictures of "curly/wavy" do's. Thanks.

I second this request. I'm getting tired of the standard bun.

Heidi_234
April 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I really really like spidermom's bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=123). I like it even more than my modified chinese bun.

swirlytresses
April 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I really really like spidermom's bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=123). I like it even more than my modified chinese bun.

I will have to give this one a try. Thanks for the link.:)

Flynn
April 25th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Hello... I think I might count as a "wurly", though I've been treating my hair as if it was essentially straight. I don't know. What do you think? Do I belong here?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/maccallister/unbrushed.jpg

(Image also in a hairtyping help request thread I have up at the moment, if you're thinking "I've seen that mane before!")

swirlytresses
April 25th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Very pretty hair. I think you qualify as a wurly. Welcome! :)

Flynn
April 25th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Yay! Thankyou! ^__^

Hahaha, I have much to learn. Like combing.

Heidi_234
April 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I will have to give this one a try. Thanks for the link.:)
You're most welcome :flower:
Flynn, your hair looks so pretty. :crush: You just made me plain jealous with that pic :flowers:

oh, and something I've been meaning to ask - what does wurly stand for? I know it's some word play that includes 'curly', but what's the other word? Wool? :confused: lol, enlighten me. :lol:

Just_Isabel
April 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
oh, and something I've been meaning to ask - what does wurly stand for? I know it's some word play that includes 'curly', but what's the other word? Wool? :confused: lol, enlighten me. :lol:

I always thought the W was from "wavy", and that "wurly" was a mixture of wavy + curly.

Flynn
April 27th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Flynn, your hair looks so pretty. :crush: You just made me plain jealous with that pic :flowers:

Aaaw, thanks ^__^ XD *Blush*

I'm assuming in this context it's an imposed etymology of "wavy + curly", though I think it originates from the name of a chocolate bar available in Australia and the UK that takes the form of braided strands of chocolate covered caramel or toffee, the Curly Wurly

http://www.sweetnapa.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/CIMG8565.thumbnail.JPG

Flynn
April 27th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Excuse the double post, but it's a completely different subject, so hopefully you can forgive me.

I tried oiling for the first time yesterday!

... It didn't work. I assume I used too much.

For guidance, would anyone who oils (leave-in, not treatment-style) for wave/wurl/curl enhancement be able to show me how much you actually use? I know it's "a couple of drops", but I don't know what volume that actually means in this context.

Heidi_234
April 27th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Ooh Wavy :doh: :doh:
I should have guessed that one :doh:
Thanks!

About the oiling - what oil did you try? EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) can be heavy, and many report that it doesn't work well for them. I personally love it for hot oil treatments and just pre-wash oilings.
You need to experiment with the amount. Start, literally, with one two drops, work it into your hair and see if it's enough. If not, then repeart step 1. :) In any case, oil from the ears down, because oiling suppose to immitate the sebum, which doesn't get further down on longer hair.
Some do say oiling didn't work for them at all, so if you just can't make it work, it's okay too. I personally use relatively much bigger amounts (of coconut oil, awesome stuff!), and few times a day, but my hair and scalp are really really dry, so there's hardly ever 'too much' oil.

Flynn
April 27th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I used rice bran oil. (We don't have EVOO; mum has a salicylate intolerance, so we can't.)

It dried "thready" rather than "clumpy", and then dropped pretty flat once completely dry, which is why I'm figuring I used too much *Laughs* It feels really lovely to touch, though!

"Literally one or two drops" means to me "100 +/- 20 microlitres", which isn't all that much. I spend to much of my time in labs ^^;;; I used a lot more than that. Considering that VCO gets "a thumbnail full" I think it is meant to be a bit more than what I think of as a couple of drops... though I haven't a clue how much. *Laughs*

Heidi_234
April 27th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Well, if your bottle has a normal opening (like a regular drinking bottle opening), then 'just a little' would be pressing your palm against the opening tightly, turning the bottle upside does (so that your palm stops the oil from dripping), turning it back up and using the oil that ended up on your palm.
You might need more than that, I think one can develop a 'feel' of how much out is needed, so don't worry.
If your hair's lovely to touch, then it's good. If it doesn't feel greasy then you probably didn't used too much. Maybe the oil just weighted down your hair? I never tried this oil, so I have very little idea what is it like.

Curlsgirl
April 27th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Just dropping in to say hi!!! I am practicing "benign neglect" lately and wearing my hair up almost every day. It was getting very dry so I wanted to see if I could help it. I LOVE the humid summer weather, well my HAIR does anyway!:D

Curlsgirl
April 27th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Congratulations!:D That is exciting! One day I will get there :).

YAY! Congrats on your milestone. :)

I assure you though, it will feel shorter and shorter if you wish for it to be longer! So, yes, definitely try to forget about it. :p

Thanks both of you!!! And yes, "forgetting" about it really did help!

I just got the tubs of Boots Curl Creme I ordered after Curlsgirl's recommendation. I wound up with the pink container after all (which is what I wanted after reading up on NaturallyCurly).

I'm going to go try it out without any other products and see what happens.

Edit: My mom decided combing my hair out with her fingers was a better idea, so I epic frizz instead. -_-How is it working for you???

Heidi_234
April 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Curlsgirl, your avatar is the cutest thing ever!
I can imagine it go "whee....!" everytime it jumps :lol:

Merewen
April 27th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I think I count as a wurly. Hi everyone!
I don't usually think of myself as a curly-head, which seems silly, but I had such straight hair when I was younger and it just kinda snuck up on me.

GlassEyes
April 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM
It's being a pain again. D<

Two days out of all the days I've used it have been the best curl days I've ever had. The vast majority of others have been HORRIBLE. I think the alcohol in it dries out my ends, and because they're damaged, it makes them look easily 50x worse. I've tried everything I know to get it to work; cones, no cones, over conditioner, no conditioner at all, small, smaller, and small amounts, and huge, bigger and gigantic amounts.

Someone on NC said to layer it with gel, but I'm thinking that'll make it worse. I'm about to go wash my hair now, so I'm going to try it again. If I can get it to repeat those two days forever, I'd be the happy with my hair forever. ):

Flynn
April 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Well, if your bottle has a normal opening (like a regular drinking bottle opening), then 'just a little' would be pressing your palm against the opening tightly, turning the bottle upside does (so that your palm stops the oil from dripping), turning it back up and using the oil that ended up on your palm.
You might need more than that, I think one can develop a 'feel' of how much out is needed, so don't worry.
If your hair's lovely to touch, then it's good. If it doesn't feel greasy then you probably didn't used too much. Maybe the oil just weighted down your hair? I never tried this oil, so I have very little idea what is it like.

Apparently, from what I read in a thread on here, it behaves a little like camelia oil...? I don't know if that means anything to you...?

XD Okay, that was the sort of idea I was looking for. Thanks!

Heidi_234
April 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Apparently, from what I read in a thread on here, it behaves a little like camelia oil...? I don't know if that means anything to you...?

XD Okay, that was the sort of idea I was looking for. Thanks!
lol haven't tried camelia oil either. :laugh:
My personal favorite though is coconut oil. It is scientifically proved to penetrate the hair and help prevent hair loss. I love it. Here's a thread about it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24446) with more info.

Curlsgirl
April 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Curlsgirl, your avatar is the cutest thing ever!
I can imagine it go "whee....!" everytime it jumps :lol:

I love it too hee hee!

Flynn
April 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
lol haven't tried camelia oil either. :laugh:
My personal favorite though is coconut oil. It is scientifically proved to penetrate the hair and help prevent hair loss. I love it. Here's a thread about it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24446) with more info.
Doesn't it have quite a strong smell, though?

Heidi_234
April 28th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Doesn't it have quite a strong smell, though?
I haven't came across virgin coconut oil, but I like the smell of coconuts. Refined coconut oil works just as well, and has no smell whatsoever.

Flynn
April 28th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Okay. Good to know. Scented hair drives me insane... I had one "organic" shampoo that (aside from flat-out not working and irritating my scalp almost as much as traditional shampoo) made my hair smell like musk sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musk_stick)... I didn't even make it to the end of the bottle, it annoyed me so much!

Eta:

I see people saying do this-and-that "ala curly girl", but search results for the term are far to wide to be useful. Is this just a "comb through conditioner, rinse and LITHA" (leave it the heck alone) method... or is it more complicated, or is it just to say "treat your hair as if it was curly"?

Heidi_234
April 28th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Okay. Good to know. Scented hair drives me insane... I had one "organic" shampoo that (aside from flat-out not working and irritating my scalp almost as much as traditional shampoo) made my hair smell like musk sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musk_stick)... I didn't even make it to the end of the bottle, it annoyed me so much!

Eta:

I see people saying do this-and-that "ala curly girl", but search results for the term are far to wide to be useful. Is this just a "comb through conditioner, rinse and LITHA" (leave it the heck alone) method... or is it more complicated, or is it just to say "treat your hair as if it was curly"?
It's a book (http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lorraine-Massey/dp/0761123008) that describes a special washing and caring method for wurlies-curlies, which enhances the wave/curl. From what I know, it's involves not using shampoo (CO I suppose), and not combing, and many other things. You better ask somebody who does it, they'll know more lol. I know manderly does.

Flynn
April 28th, 2009, 02:37 AM
It's a book (http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lorraine-Massey/dp/0761123008) that describes a special washing and caring method for wurlies-curlies, which enhances the wave/curl. From what I know, it's involves not using shampoo (CO I suppose), and not combing, and many other things. You better ask somebody who does it, they'll know more lol. I know manderly does.

Aah! Cool.

(Yeah, Manderly is one of the people I've heard it from...)

I don't know if I'm up for CO (particularly with the milder-than-baby-products shampoo and condish I use!) but I'd love to know the rest, then ^__^

~ Man-der-lyyy ~ >_o

Curlsgirl
April 28th, 2009, 07:21 AM
It's being a pain again. D<

Two days out of all the days I've used it have been the best curl days I've ever had. The vast majority of others have been HORRIBLE. I think the alcohol in it dries out my ends, and because they're damaged, it makes them look easily 50x worse. I've tried everything I know to get it to work; cones, no cones, over conditioner, no conditioner at all, small, smaller, and small amounts, and huge, bigger and gigantic amounts.

Someone on NC said to layer it with gel, but I'm thinking that'll make it worse. I'm about to go wash my hair now, so I'm going to try it again. If I can get it to repeat those two days forever, I'd be the happy with my hair forever. ):

Sorry that it's not working for you! As with any other product some report major success and some don't. I do layer it with gel sometimes actually and it gives it some extra hold. You do scrunch out the crunch right after your hair is totally dry?

Rohele
April 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Yeah - heidi is right its a method of caring for your hair if it is curly. I've read about it at naturallycurly.com, and follow some of the suggestions, but not all. As far as I understood, it involves CO washing (no cones, even with styling products), and no touching of hair as it dries or after it dries, and lots of hydration for hair (curly hair is often dry hair).

GlassEyes
April 28th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I do. I haven't yet found a way to do it that can help my roots from frizzing out, but i do.

I think I've found how i can use it though. I think it's just too strong for my hair straight. If I mix a dab of it with a dollop of conditioner before putting it on hair that already has a leave-in in it, it works incredibly well. I've done so two days in a row, and it works better. I think i'm going to experiment with both that and diluting it with water; I may even just make it into a spritzer.

I'd actually be happier this way; it'll make the two containers I have last even longer, if it works. XD;

Curlsgirl
April 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I do. I haven't yet found a way to do it that can help my roots from frizzing out, but i do.

I think I've found how i can use it though. I think it's just too strong for my hair straight. If I mix a dab of it with a dollop of conditioner before putting it on hair that already has a leave-in in it, it works incredibly well. I've done so two days in a row, and it works better. I think i'm going to experiment with both that and diluting it with water; I may even just make it into a spritzer.

I'd actually be happier this way; it'll make the two containers I have last even longer, if it works. XD;

Oh goody! I am glad you won't have to waste it! I don't scrunch mine at the roots, just the ends, say the bottom 2/3 of my hair. In fact I only put the Boots and all leave-ins in about the bottom 2/3 of my hair, about the ears down.

Nocturnal
April 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I am here to share my joy! I have found a product that I can make work for my hair (I am a self-proclaimed gel dummy)! It is Giovanni air-charged foam! I'm so happy! :joy:

Stubborn
April 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Wow, cool thread.

Well. I'm a male who has been growing for 1 year from a buzz cut.

Anyway, I NEVER knew my hair was curly. I always thought it was straight or wavy haha.

Just stopping by to get some info and say hey ;)

Flynn
April 29th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Wow, cool thread.

Well. I'm a male who has been growing for 1 year from a buzz cut.

Anyway, I NEVER knew my hair was curly. I always thought it was straight or wavy haha.

Just stopping by to get some info and say hey ;)

Same thing happened to my boyfriend. He always wore his hair on the longer side of short, because his high school required short hair. Then he finished school and stopped cutting it, and got to about where you are now (saw your pics in your other thread), and went "wow. My hair's really, really curly."

It's just past APL now, and still curly and lovely... XD

GlassEyes
April 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM
WHOO! THE CURL CREME WORKS PERFECTLY NOW. XD; I shall post pictures later.

Edit: PICTURE TIMEZ. xD

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/Astatl/DSCF1556.jpg

After sleeping on it, and not touching it with anything

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/Astatl/DSCF1563.jpg

(which is why I look so odd. xD)

Xandergrammy
April 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Where did you get the curl creme, GlassEyes? It really made your already gorgeous curls even gorgeouser (and yes, that IS a real word) :gabigrin:

girlcat36
April 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Awesome curls, GlassEyes!

GlassEyes
April 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Where did you get the curl creme, GlassEyes? It really made your already gorgeous curls even gorgeouser (and yes, that IS a real word) :gabigrin:
Thankies, and I got it from www.britsuperstore.com .

It took me long enough to get it to work with my hair though. XD I'm pleased with it now.

GlassEyes
April 29th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Awesome curls, GlassEyes!
Whoops, crossposted. xD Thank you Girlcat.

Kina
April 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Thankies, and I got it from www.britsuperstore.com .

It took me long enough to get it to work with my hair though. XD I'm pleased with it now.

Sorry, couldn't find the name of creme? TIA great curls!

Starr
April 30th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Holy Hopscotch GlassEyes!

Why can't ever get my curls to look that smooth?

Looks like I'm going to have to get myself some of that curl cream. . . which is exactly why I stay out of this thread. You guys are going to turn me into a product junkie.

GlassEyes
April 30th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Oh, I'm sorry! It's Boots Curl Creme.

Be careful when you get it, it seems to have an epic learning curve. xD;

Link: http://www.britsuperstore.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http&#37;3a%2f%2fwww.britsuperstor e.com%2f&WD=curl%20creme%20boots&SHOP=%20&PREVQUERY=SS%3dboots%2bcurl%2bcreme%26PR%3d-1%26TB%3dA%26SHOP%3d%20&PN=boots.html%23a7295#a7295

mitabird
April 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Your curls look great. I envy those that can get curl cremes to work for them.

swirlytresses
April 30th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but you can make a "curl cream" by mixing some of your favorite gel with a little of your favorite conditioner. This works great for some.

Flynn
April 30th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Happened again! Used just enough oil to just coat my palms in a very thin film, and didn't even rub all of it in my hair, and I look "thready" again.

Flynn
May 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Flynn's Next Annoying Question:

Hey, do any of you think we should have something built in to the classification system to discriminate between wurlies and wavies? Like 2b(type II) for a wurly with about a 2b texture, and 2b(type I) for a true wavy? (Or 2bI and 2bII ?)

Merewen
May 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that it kind of WAS built in. 2c would include some curls so be wurly, but 2b would be wavy?

Flynn
May 5th, 2009, 06:27 PM
The way I understood it, 2c also implies short-period waves. For instance, I have 2a or 2b-like length to my "wurls", but they're definitely spirals or twisties, not flat waves.

Runzel
May 21st, 2009, 01:56 AM
Question: are there any curlies that use a pick instead of a comb? How does that, well, work? :o How do you use it?

I'm a wurly still working to figure out my hair. I used to think it was "frizzy" as a hair type...now, of course, I know better. I currently manage my hair as "wavy" by having it dry completely in a braid and wearing it up every day. It's easy to manage, for me, and I can run a comb through it fairly easily without worry of damage.

Reading through many pages of this thread after I first joined, I was inspired to think that I could actually learn to manage my hair curly! I tried the AGO mix and dutifully left my hair alone until it had dried, and--this is not an exaggeration--it took me a while to believe it was actually my hair. It looked gorgeous! The clumping was perfect, the ringlet curls were beautiful, and I found myself at long last understanding why some people actually enjoy wearing their hair down! :rolleyes:

But I found that trying to get a comb through it was rough going. I always start at the ends and go gently, but whenever I let my hair curl by allowing it to dry down I can barely, if at all, reach the point where I can run the wide-toothed comb from scalp to ends. I'm concerned it might be damaging to force my hair that much.

What do the rest of you curlies do about this? I feel the need to comb once a day, otherwise those ready-to-shed hairs get itchy on me, so not combing at all isn't an option, and I'd rather not get my hair wet every day.

ladylibra
May 21st, 2009, 06:21 AM
Another curly checking in!:cheese:

GlassEyes
May 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Question: are there any curlies that use a pick instead of a comb? How does that, well, work? :o How do you use it?

I'm a wurly still working to figure out my hair. I used to think it was "frizzy" as a hair type...now, of course, I know better. I currently manage my hair as "wavy" by having it dry completely in a braid and wearing it up every day. It's easy to manage, for me, and I can run a comb through it fairly easily without worry of damage.

Reading through many pages of this thread after I first joined, I was inspired to think that I could actually learn to manage my hair curly! I tried the AGO mix and dutifully left my hair alone until it had dried, and--this is not an exaggeration--it took me a while to believe it was actually my hair. It looked gorgeous! The clumping was perfect, the ringlet curls were beautiful, and I found myself at long last understanding why some people actually enjoy wearing their hair down! :rolleyes:

But I found that trying to get a comb through it was rough going. I always start at the ends and go gently, but whenever I let my hair curl by allowing it to dry down I can barely, if at all, reach the point where I can run the wide-toothed comb from scalp to ends. I'm concerned it might be damaging to force my hair that much.

What do the rest of you curlies do about this? I feel the need to comb once a day, otherwise those ready-to-shed hairs get itchy on me, so not combing at all isn't an option, and I'd rather not get my hair wet every day.

Welcome to the world of curls.

Now start combing in the shower with conditioner in, or you'll never be happy again. xD Very few people with curly hair can get away with combing when dry without having it dry in a braid/bun or being blown out, and certainly not when their hair is showing it's true nature. Combing when wet with conditioner in is probably your best bet. The only time I've heard of brushing/combing for GOOD curly hair when dry is when it's being smoothed into a bun or another updo, and then only at the root.

You may also want to look into CO washing. Also, I use a pick and a comb in the shower; both should be fine. Both ARE combs, after all. xD

curls2grow
May 24th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Popping in to say that this thread got my curiosity up about KCKT and KCCC. I'd been reading about them here and on NC.com and when I read posts about it being available at some Whole Foods, I figured it was worth seeing if mine carried it. So last night, I ran into WF for whole wheat penne, came out with that and the other two, too!

So now they are in the house and I am actually nervous about trying them. I think I will give them a go tomorrow and Tuesday (I'm off both days for the long weekend) and then I can see how they do for me with WO washed hair and CO washed hair.

Also, are there any curlies/wurlies posting in this thread that have gray or major salt/pepper as their natural hair color? I'm having issues with balancing moisture -- my hair seems really dry -- with graying curls as they grow longer.

GlassEyes
May 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I know graying hair of nearly all types, especiailly curly, can get dryer as it changes, but I don't exactly know how to care for it. Maybe more conditioner? Sorry.

But do tell how the KCCC works out. I can't justify buying it...yet. XD;

swirlytresses
May 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Popping in to say that this thread got my curiosity up about KCKT and KCCC. I'd been reading about them here and on NC.com and when I read posts about it being available at some Whole Foods, I figured it was worth seeing if mine carried it. So last night, I ran into WF for whole wheat penne, came out with that and the other two, too!

So now they are in the house and I am actually nervous about trying them. I think I will give them a go tomorrow and Tuesday (I'm off both days for the long weekend) and then I can see how they do for me with WO washed hair and CO washed hair.

Also, are there any curlies/wurlies posting in this thread that have gray or major salt/pepper as their natural hair color? I'm having issues with balancing moisture -- my hair seems really dry -- with graying curls as they grow longer.

Ooo lucky you to have it at your local WF store. I love KCCC!! I tried the Knot today and didn't care for the smell. It seemed to detangle and condition, but not any better than some other stuff I have. I have had great luck using my KCCC over flaxseed gel, Donna marie lock and twist, donna marie coco curly butter, pink boots,......just about anything I've tried it with. I usually scrunch in a nickel size blob of biosilk rock hard gel on top, then scrunch out the crunch when dry. I hope you like it. Please update us. :)

*KCCC is very moisturizing for me. Hopefully it will be for you also, and you can get hold and moisture out of it.

curls2grow
May 25th, 2009, 02:47 PM
This morning I took the plunge and tried the KCKT and KCCC combo. I was pleasantly surprised with my newbie results, since I was usure how much of each product would really work for me. I made sure not to touch while air-drying (although I did do some patting; I was intrigued by how crunchy the curls were). It scrunched out well. I even applied a bit more after I scrunched out, because some places needed more coverage to control the curl.

My curls looked pretty, natural (mostly formed curls with a few pieces that were not so cooperative), more shiny than usual, no wet look on my scalp like I usually get from my other gel, soft to the touch after scrunching, and I like the smell of the products.

I cannot believe how long it took me to get my act together and finally try this stuff! I still have more experimenting to do, but I'm just so happy that I liked the stuff my first try. Will post with more updates after more tries.

curly girl fla
May 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Curls2grow, so glad you tried and seem to like the KCCC. I adore the stuff :). It is moisturizing, but in an odd sort of way. For me, it's an amazing gel (rather than curl enhancer), but it has this rubbery finish that is so much better than the drying gels I've tried. I didn't much care for KCKT, though-I get much better results using any other leave-in. My best advice-if you like the stuff, stock up when it's available and when it's on sale :D!!!

curls2grow
May 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm happy to hear that you both had good results using leave-ins other than KCKT, because I love my other leave-ins and will try those with KCCC at some point.

Naturelle (formerly Aura) Hypo Gel from Sally's has been HG for me for years, but I recently realized it may be contributing to the extra dryness I've been getting, even though it's alcholol-free. I know that gray hair is drier than naturally pigmented hair, so that on top of my thoughts about the Naturelle gel had me concerned -- because everything else I use on my hair is moisturizing.

Speckla
May 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM
c2grow,
Your hair is so beautiful! You made a good decision to stop coloring.

curls2grow
May 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thank you, Speckla! :o

coppercurls
May 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM
This morning I took the plunge and tried the KCKT and KCCC combo. I was pleasantly surprised with my newbie results, since I was usure how much of each product would really work for me. I made sure not to touch while air-drying (although I did do some patting; I was intrigued by how crunchy the curls were). It scrunched out well. I even applied a bit more after I scrunched out, because some places needed move coverage to control the curl.

My curls looked pretty, natural (mostly formed curls with a few pieces that were not so cooperative), more shiny than usual, no wet look on my scalp like I usually get from my other gel, soft to the touch after scrunching, and I like the smell of the products.

I cannot believe how long it took me to get my act together and finally try this stuff! I still have more experimenting to do, but I'm just so happy that I liked the stuff my first try. Will post with more updates after more tries.

I keep thinking about trying these products. I can't wait for follow up reports. Does anybody have a link to their site?

swirlytresses
May 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM
http://kinky-curly.com/shop.php

You can also find the kinky curly products at curlmart at naturallycurly.com. On the KC site, they have a page where you can see which Whole foods (various states) stores carry their products.

Paper Moon
May 25th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I'm really late to the party! But big time curly here!

I've been flatironing my curls for over 15 years. Now I have to re-learn how to love and take care of curls :P I have a LOT to get to reading in this thread! holy moly!

Dragonfly78
May 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Me too Paper Moon! It's so good to know there are lots of other wurlies & curlies out there. :)

curls2grow
May 29th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Reviving the vinegar rinse topic... I have not tried a vinegar rinse in years! Last time I did, I was coloring my hair, just started CG routine, and I thought it made my dark brown dyed hair look a bit brassy. So I never went back to it. It's entirely possible that my ratio of vinegar to water were wayyyy off, since I was new to the whole CG game.

I usually get around to doing a lemon juice rinse every few months, but my hair has been dry and very uncooperative lately. I bought some Bragg's apple cider vinegar about a year ago, thinking I would try it as a toner (never did open the bottle when I thought more about that). So over the weekend I am going to give the ACV rinse a try again. I think I am going to start with a ratio of 1/2 cup ACV to 1 quart water, since it's been a lonng time since I clarified in any way.

Speckla
May 29th, 2009, 08:49 PM
c2grow,
hi. that seems like a lot of vinegar to me. i use 2 tbs per quart.

curls2grow
May 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Speck, what type curls do you have and how long is your hair? I'm trying to gauge if we've got a similar situation and then I will copy you. :o A few articles on the internet re: vinegar rinsing said to use 1/2 to 1/3 cup:1 quart water, so that's what I was going by. But again, I have no real experience with it, so I'm open to advice!

Must have been a dark spot in my hair's past because I don't even mention it in my blog, the last time I did it.

ETA: Kicks self. I see your hair type in your stats now. :o

Speckla
May 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Speck, what type curls do you have and how long is your hair? I'm trying to gauge if we've got a similar situation and then I will copy you. :o A few articles on the internet re: vinegar rinsing said to use 1/2 to 1/3 cup:1 quart water, so that's what I was going by. But again, I have no real experience with it, so I'm open to advice!

Must have been a dark spot in my hair's past because I don't even mention it in my blog, the last time I did it.

I'm 3a/b (more b), shoulder when curly, mediumish thickness, very dry/semi porous.

Speckla
May 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM

http://images43.fotki.com/v1505/photos/7/1199357/7533769/Picture053-vi.jpg

wet - gives you an idea about length.

jessie58
May 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'm just popping in to say that I recently got my hair layered. I had a really good hairdresser that left most of the length and she knew how to work with curly hair. She took off so much weight and all the nasty dry lifeless canopy. I have my curls back now and my hair is light and springy. I like it so much.

You can see my before pic first and then there is a picture of the after cut but still wet. I rinsed with water, then put in some AG Ultramoist conditioner. I rinsed it out, then put in some AG leave in . After that I put in some AG Re:coil and scrunched. No combing. I just let it dry.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202009/IMG_1224.jpghttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202009/cutandlayerMay09004.jpg

MountainGypsy
May 30th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Layers are my friend! Slight hijack...Tessa...Jessie58 your curls look lucious!

curls2grow
May 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I agree, Tessa, your cut looks wonderful! I am trying to get more length (to APL dry) before I start with layers -- or I will never make it to APL.

MountainGypsy -- incredible how much your avatar resembles your sig pic! Well done! I keep trying those programs and none of them come close to looking like me.

JKRBeloved
May 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Wow, Tessa! You can really see the difference. Lovely. It's such a relief when you find a stylist who understands your hair and really tries to do what you ask.

jessie58
May 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys, I have not had any curls for about a year now, only wavies and those kinky wurls all the way down. I am so happy to have my curls back. Even though my hair is thinned way out, I love it.

Runzel
May 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the world of curls.

Now start combing in the shower with conditioner in, or you'll never be happy again. xD Very few people with curly hair can get away with combing when dry without having it dry in a braid/bun or being blown out, and certainly not when their hair is showing it's true nature. Combing when wet with conditioner in is probably your best bet. The only time I've heard of brushing/combing for GOOD curly hair when dry is when it's being smoothed into a bun or another updo, and then only at the root.

You may also want to look into CO washing. Also, I use a pick and a comb in the shower; both should be fine. Both ARE combs, after all. xD

Thanks. :)

Due to extreme sensitivities I'm bound to homemade products only, so I'm now attempting to figure out how to make a conditioner with that same thick + creamy + slippery texture and moisturizing properties characteristic of the commercial product. It does sound like CO and combing in the shower is what my hair needs! Let the experimentation begin. :yumm:

curls2grow
May 31st, 2009, 07:38 AM
Runzel, you may want to check out these sites for ideas on ingredients to make the thick+creamy+slippery conditioners you are looking for.

MyHoneyChild conditioners (http://myhoneychild.com/conditioners?b=1)

Karen's Body Beautiful (http://www.karensbodybeautiful.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=29)

From MHC, I've used the HoneyBerry Conditioner and like it.
From KBB, I've used samples of the Hair Milk and Hair Nectar. They are both great products; the Hair Nectar is much more moisturizing.

Both of these lines have quite a following at naturallycurly.com, especially KBB.

Paper Moon
May 31st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Man! I've been reading this thread for a few days and still haven't gotten through it all :D

I have a question though about a styling product. My hair is much happier with the CWC method and a very slight oiling at the ends while damp. However I'm sure I need a product to leave in and scrunch. (my canopy gets SOOO frizzy, while the rest is spirals.. it looks rediculous!)

I've seen great reviews about KCNT and the curl custard but to be honest, I really can't afford those right now. Can anyone possibly reccomend me something for smoothing, curl definition, and a bit of hold that I might be able to find locally or for not that much money?:confused:

PurpleAshes
May 31st, 2009, 03:34 PM
I've read that a lot of curlies need volume on their roots and they use pins to get it.
The last thing in the world that I need is volume on my roots! My hair is exactly the contrary, lots of volume near the scalp, and then kind of thin down the length. Anyone else like this? What do you do about it?

angelakeats
June 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone!

I have natural curls that really 'want' to come out but the top layer of my hair is frizzy wavy. Any product recommendations??

Curlsgirl
June 4th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Also, are there any curlies/wurlies posting in this thread that have gray or major salt/pepper as their natural hair color? I'm having issues with balancing moisture -- my hair seems really dry -- with graying curls as they grow longer.I color but my hair has quite a bit of gray without it. I use a leave-in and a LOT of it. I also oil damp a lot and wash very infrequently.

This morning I took the plunge and tried the KCKT and KCCC combo. I was pleasantly surprised with my newbie results, since I was usure how much of each product would really work for me. I made sure not to touch while air-drying (although I did do some patting; I was intrigued by how crunchy the curls were). It scrunched out well. I even applied a bit more after I scrunched out, because some places needed more coverage to control the curl.

I cannot believe how long it took me to get my act together and finally try this stuff! I still have more experimenting to do, but I'm just so happy that I liked the stuff my first try. Will post with more updates after more tries.Glad you like it! I do too, I rotate it with pink Boot's which I also love.

I've read that a lot of curlies need volume on their roots and they use pins to get it.
The last thing in the world that I need is volume on my roots! My hair is exactly the contrary, lots of volume near the scalp, and then kind of thin down the length. Anyone else like this? What do you do about it?Hmmmmmmmmm thin down the length? Or flatter and straighter? If it is thin, it could be breaking if it is not layered or it is getting thicker and healthier as the new growth comes in and you are taking better care of it. If it has layers that could also cause that if they are too heavy or cut wrong.

GlassEyes
June 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Ugh.

Karen's Body Beautiful's hair nectar did nothing for me. I think it was the wax.

jessie58
June 4th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Hi everyone!

I have natural curls that really 'want' to come out but the top layer of my hair is frizzy wavy. Any product recommendations??

Welcome angelakeats. I had the exact same problem but I could get nothing at all to work. Last week I got my hair layered and finally the curls came back. I am using Potion 9 on wet hair and it keeps the frizz down to nothing and really holds the curls well.

jessie58
June 4th, 2009, 10:10 PM
The last thing in the world that I need is volume on my roots! My hair is exactly the contrary, lots of volume near the scalp, and then kind of thin down the length. Anyone else like this? What do you do about it?

I have the volume thing on the scalp area too. I like it a lot. I love BIG hair, lol. :D
Guess that wasn't helpful though. :p

angelakeats
June 4th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Thank you Jessie58.
I used to use Potion 9 (love the smell) but I was straightening my hair at the time. Now I don't straighten anymore. WIll try this one.
I have been using pumpkin potion but find it does nothing to my hair.
Thanks!

Quixii
June 4th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Oh, my hair does worse in the summer, usually. It looks prettier in colour, but it's so much frizzier. My pretty curls look more and more like frizzy waves instead. =(
Though this last summer they didn't go away in the winter, which I was particularly disappointed about.

curls2grow
June 5th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Jessie58, does Potion 9 have cones and/or parabens? Also, have you tried the Sally's knockoff of Potion 9? I haven't used either one, just curious about them.

GlassEyes
June 5th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Is Kinky Curly Curling Custard WORTH IT?

I've looked at pictures and videos of those who use it, and...uh...the results didn't seem that great. xD;

Lamb
June 5th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Kinky Curly Curling Custard

I think I'll start collecting silly product names. This one will be on top of the list.

GlassEyes
June 5th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I think I'll start collecting silly product names. This one will be on top of the list.

Oh believe me, I've seen worse. Just check out any 'ETHNIC' (UGH) section in Wal-Mart.

:rolleyes: Apparently when you're 'black', grammar gets deflowered.

Ailith
June 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I use Kinky curly curling custard. I loced it the first months, but now i am not so sure i like it as much... It smells delicious thogh, and as I said, it was fantstic for about four months. It is quite heavy, but not hard.

GlassEyes
June 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM
If it only lasts that long in effectiveness, it is not worth my money. xD;

Curlsgirl
June 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
If it only lasts that long in effectiveness, it is not worth my money. xD;

It has always worked the same for me. Maybe her hair needs changed. That happens. It is just an individual things really. I will say the tub of KCCC lasts FOREVER so it really doesn't end up being expensive at all. Course if it sits unused cuz you don't like it in your cabinet it is!!!;)

GlassEyes
June 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
It has always worked the same for me. Maybe her hair needs changed. That happens. It is just an individual things really. I will say the tub of KCCC lasts FOREVER so it really doesn't end up being expensive at all. Course if it sits unused cuz you don't like it in your cabinet it is!!!;)
I know, that was mostly me just being cheeky. :p

I want to try it, but the price tag is keeping me from doing so...maybe my next paycheck. xD;

swirlytresses
June 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I was also leary of the cost for the KCCC. I am about 2/3 through my first jar, I use it almost every time I wash my hair and I've had this jar for several months....4-5 or maybe more? I already have one more jar in my stash. It works so well for me that it's worth the cost. I use it along with other products and this gives me the best shine, softness, and hold (if that makes sense), plus I love the smell. I use it with flaxseed/aloe gel, mousse, hair pudding, etc...and it works great for me! :)

jessie58
June 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Jessie58, does Potion 9 have cones and/or parabens? Also, have you tried the Sally's knockoff of Potion 9? I haven't used either one, just curious about them.

Yes, there are cones and parabens in Potion 9. I didn't see any knock off in Sally's, mind you our Canadian store is tiny and doesn't have all the stuff that the American stores do.

I had used this stuff a long time ago and didn't like the crunch. Since then I learned to let it dry 100% and then scrunch to remove crunch. It is working so well for my curls this time around. Holds all day too.
The second day I can get into the shower and just wet with my hands and it seems to reactivate the Potion and the curls.

Ailith
June 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I still think the kccc is worth trying! As said, the cost is not so big in the long run, and probably it is just temporarily not good for my hair right now. It is all depending on the humidity, i have figured... and you should be careful to not use to much. A little goes a long way!

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'm not sure if I'm Wurly or Curly or Straight haired? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3149
That's my album and it switches between straight and having corkscrew curls in the front. I really don't know why it does that though?

jessie58
June 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure if I'm Wurly or Curly or Straight haired? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3149
That's my album and it switches between straight and having corkscrew curls in the front. I really don't know why it does that though?

I would have to say low end wurly for you.
You seem to have combination hair. I have a very straight crown, coils at the forehead and ringlets underneath, so my canopy is often poker straight to wurly and covers the ringlets.

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks Jessie! That's how my hair often is, the canopy is bone straight and the underside is full of ringlets if I don't brush it. Do you have any advice for this hairtype?

jessie58
June 5th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks Jessie! That's how my hair often is, the canopy is bone straight and the underside is full of ringlets if I don't brush it. Do you have any advice for this hairtype?

Not much good in the advice department since I have been fighting my hair for years. Have you tried applying gel when it's wet, then scrunching your hair upside down to coax those curls out?

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I've never used gel, so that's worth a try! Do you happen to know any good natural brands(I'm sensitive to fragrance and parabens, so an all natural one is best)? Or do you make your own from flaxseed?

jessie58
June 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I've never used gel, so that's worth a try! Do you happen to know any good natural brands(I'm sensitive to fragrance and parabens, so an all natural one is best)? Or do you make your own from flaxseed?

Depending on your hairtype, flaxseed gel or aloe vera gel can be nice and natural. They didn't do much for me because of the sheer weight of my hair. If your hair is not too thick or if it is fine, either one may give you some shape and hold.

As for fragrance free commercial products, I haven't any experience with them but others will likely be able to help you out.

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I have a ton of very fine hair. Well towards the end, it's about normal thickness, since a lot has broken off(3/4+) but on the crown I have a TON of hair, but it's all very fine, which leads to a lot of issues in general!

GlassEyes
June 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Are you on cones? (wow, I say it like it's a drug, or something)

Cones can pull the curl out of some hair. If you go off them, you might find you have more.

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Glasseyes, Nope! I used to use cones for about 3-4 years and they wreaked my hair.(dried it out a lot!) I used soap bars as a child, and now I use Alaffia which is a soap based shampoo, and I use conditionre with it. It's funny how cones are like a drug, there is an adjustment period for many people after they stop using them! I used to blowdry my hair once a day for a while, and I did bleach it back in December, but haven't done either of those things for almost 6 months, so most of my hair is healthy virgin hair! Pretty confusing, since I just haven't a clue why it curls some days and is stick straight others!

curls2grow
June 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Does ACV rinsing remove cone buildup?

GlassEyes
June 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Not that I know of, no. It does help to remove set in build up by other factors, but I think cones are too deep-set to come out with ACV.

Fractalsofhair
June 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I think it helps to remove it to some degree, as anything will remove it eventually except for just plain water. I'd advise one wash with an SLS (Or other similarly harsh)detergent with no cones to clarify if you're worried about buildup. Then just use cone free products from then on. Soap is said to take about a month to remove cones, Burts Bees worked fine instantly, and when I switched to Alaffia a few months later, it worked fine, so that means all the coney buildup was gone!

LadyEliza
June 6th, 2009, 04:28 AM
The latest thing I'm hearing about cones is that it pulls out the curl. Doesn't pull out mine! Been using it for 10 years, use to be DEAD straight and for some unknown reason it went curly when I was 40. I hadn't changed anything, and I assume it's hormonal. But now my hair is curly and has a tendency to ringlet, cones or not. The only change was when I stopped using cones my hair got very dry.

But everyone is different when it comes to what shampoo their hair likes :)

http://www.elizasart.com/temp/elizashait.jpg

GlassEyes
June 6th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Yeah, it's not the rule, but sometimes they can do that. XD

On certain cones, my curls get limp and there'l be awkward waves at the top, and it's just a brilliant mes. Note, that's some cones. Certain coney conditioners I can use just fine. I actually liked Pantene for a while.

PurpleAshes
June 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm thin down the length? Or flatter and straighter? If it is thin, it could be breaking if it is not layered or it is getting thicker and healthier as the new growth comes in and you are taking better care of it. If it has layers that could also cause that if they are too heavy or cut wrong.

Thanks for your answer! Though, I think I didn't make it clear enough. It is not thin down the length, it LOOKS thinner because of all the volume near the roots. It's been like this since I have memory, I can't wear my hair completely down until it's about waist length without the roots getting all puffy.
I've tried air drying with pins, and air drying with a bandanna, but 5 minutes after I take them off, the volume comes back :S

girlcat36
June 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Yes, there are cones and parabens in Potion 9. I didn't see any knock off in Sally's, mind you our Canadian store is tiny and doesn't have all the stuff that the American stores do.

NO NO NO!!!!! Potion 9 can't have cones!!! I thought I was cone-free! I love potion 9!!! :doh:

****girlcat runs off screaming***

swirlytresses
June 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Potion 9, are you talking about the leave-in? If so, I thought it contained the A-cone that it water soluble or I'm I mistaken? I've used it before and liked it.

Fractalsofhair
June 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hmmm. The only weird thing that's been going on since my hair has curled more often is that I'm on BC, and also, my hair has broken off in chunks. Would having about 1/4 or less of my total hair make it more likely to curl?(I have a lot of hair, so if it breaks off 3-4 inches from the top, 3/4+ of it, my hair still doesn't look thin)

jessie58
June 6th, 2009, 10:55 PM
NO NO NO!!!!! Potion 9 can't have cones!!! I thought I was cone-free! I love potion 9!!! :doh:

****girlcat runs off screaming***

LOL, yikes girlcat, you're the one that turned me on to Potion 9 after a discussion on the boards here and seeing your curls.
I remember some discussion about it on CurlTalk at CurlyMart and there seemed to be cones in it. Also parabens. However I also remember seeing that they changed their formula recently and there is only 1 cone in it. I don't know anything about it, it's called amodimethicone. It used to have another cone that had about a hundred letters in it.

jessie58
June 6th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Excellent info on amodimethicone:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones

Xandergrammy
June 7th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I don't think Potion 9 has any cones. I like it whether it has a cone hiding in it or not. Thanks for reminding me that I have a full tube in my arsenal. :gabigrin:

Ingredients list courtesy of drugstore.com

Water, Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Jojoba), Carthamus Tinctorius Seed Oil (Safflower), Hydroxyethylcellulose, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth 10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Fragrance (Parfum), Europaea Fruit Oil (Olive), Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis Oil (Evening Primrose), Disodium EDTA, Stearalkonium Chloride, Sesamum Indicum Seed Oil (Sesame), Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Tetrasodium EDTA, Oryza Sativa Bran Oil (Rice), Citric Acid, Orange 4, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Salix Alba Bark Extract (Willow), Ext Violet 2, Red 40

Is one of these a cone?

curls2grow
June 7th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks for finding the ingredients, XG. I didnt' see any cone-ish looking ingredients either. :D

girlcat, maybe you can stop screaming now and run back this way with your Potion 9. :D

JKRBeloved
June 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Woo Hoo!!! I'm going to have to try this Potion 9!

curls2grow
June 7th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I could have sworn I saw a GVP version of Potion 9 at Sally's last week. I am going to have to check that out next time I'm there, just for the cone issue if nothing else. I'm well stocked on condtioners and leave-ins at this point, so hesitant to add another until I use something up.

ETA: Yes I did see the knockoff at Sally's (http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-treatment/SBS-264061,default,pd.html). The knockoff has cones. That's prob where I got the thought of original Potion 9 having cones. Maybe they reformulated the original to remove the cone? Here's the knockoff ingredients:

Water (Aqua/Eau), Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Panthenol, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Amodimethicone, Stearalkonium Chloride, Tocopherol, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Polysorbate 60, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Potassium Sorbate

girlcat36
June 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
SwirlyTresses--yes, the Potion 9 I am talking about is a leave-in.

Jessie--thanks for that link on amodimethicone. It was quite scientific!

Leni--when I first purchased Potion 9 last June, I believe that was the ingredient list that I saw. I think I also posted waaaaay back in this thread wondering if it was cone-free, and the consensus at the time was that it was cone-free(if I remember correctly).

Curls2grow---I am a lot more calm and rational right now! :cool:

I try many leave products(mainly cone-free) on my hair, but Potion is the one I always return to!

Curlsgirl
June 8th, 2009, 08:02 AM
SwirlyTresses--yes, the Potion 9 I am talking about is a leave-in.

Jessie--thanks for that link on amodimethicone. It was quite scientific!

Leni--when I first purchased Potion 9 last June, I believe that was the ingredient list that I saw. I think I also posted waaaaay back in this thread wondering if it was cone-free, and the consensus at the time was that it was cone-free(if I remember correctly).

Curls2grow---I am a lot more calm and rational right now! :cool:

I try many leave products(mainly cone-free) on my hair, but Potion is the one I always return to!

What does potion 9 do for your hair? I hope I don't "have" to buy it! ;)

girlcat36
June 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM
What does potion 9 do for your hair? I hope I don't "have" to buy it! ;)

It's what it doesn't do!

*It doesn't leave my hair sticky

*It doesn't give my hair the 'wet look'

*It doesn't dry out my hair

*It doesn't make my hair feel 'dirty'.

*I don't have to use a lot.

*It doesn't have cones(I think. Hoping not)

*I don't have to buy it online.

I get pretty good spirals and decent frizz control when I use it, check my photo album if you like.

They sell it at CVS(approx. 13.00)

GO GET SOME!!! :D

ZaBasDa
June 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM
It's what it doesn't do!

I get pretty good spirals and decent frizz control when I use it, check my photo album if you like.

GO GET SOME!!! :D

Now you made me want to go buy some. Actually I think I will because I've been needing a styling aid lately, since just leaving in some conditioner still lets me get super fuzzy hair. Thank you for enabling :p

jessie58
June 8th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Potion 9 makes my curls awesome and NO FRIZZ. First product ever to do that. However it dries crunchy. I remedy that by waiting until it's dry, then I put my head down and scrunch the crunchies out. It's soft and holds the curls all day.

curls2grow
June 8th, 2009, 04:30 PM
::iz dumb:: So are you ladies who love Potion 9 using it as a leave-in only, or as a styler (say, in place of gel or other curl-holding and/or frizz-fighting goop), or maybe both depending on what your hair needs? Is it a product that can be used both ways (leave-in and styler), in your experience?

jessie58
June 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I used it as a styler in the past but didn't get great results. Now that I have been using a ton of it on wet hair to keep my curls, I am so happy with it. I bought it last year on the advice of GirlCat but only used it occasionally. Recently I met a lady who told me she loads it on and she had the most gorgeous curls you have ever seen. So I did that after every wash and now my curls are great.

curls2grow
June 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Recently I met a lady who told me she loads it on and she had the most gorgeous curls you have ever seen. So I did that after every wash and now my curls are great.So no gel or any other goop to follow the Potion 9? I've never had a problem loading leave-in on my hair. Maybe I won't need to follow it with a gel or other stuff afterward. Going to definitely add this to my list, for when I use up one of my other leave-ins.

jessie58
June 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM
So no gel or any other goop to follow the Potion 9? I've never had a problem loading leave-in on my hair. Maybe I won't need to follow it with a gel or other stuff afterward. Going to definitely add this to my list, for when I use up one of my other leave-ins.

Well it's soft and creamy like a leave in but it dries like a gel. I haven't used any gel with it for the last while that I've been using it and it holds curls perfectly.

curls2grow
June 8th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks so much for the replies, jessie58! :D

jessie58
June 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
You're welcome C2G. I just wanted to say that I've loved your curls for a long time and I love your siggy pic. :D

girlcat36
June 8th, 2009, 08:18 PM
So no gel or any other goop to follow the Potion 9? I've never had a problem loading leave-in on my hair. Maybe I won't need to follow it with a gel or other stuff afterward. Going to definitely add this to my list, for when I use up one of my other leave-ins.

Okay, this is exactly what I do.

Get in shower, wet hair, Vo5 FreeMeFreesia on my ends. Pour diluted shampoo on my scalp, let sit, then rinse well. Pour cold ACV rinse over all my hair and scalp. While still in the shower, put Biolage Conditioning Balm(please be cone-free! :D ) on my length, and leave it!
I do not use a towel on my hair when I get out of the shower. So my hair is very wet when I add the potion 9(nickel size dollop), and I leave that in.
That is it.

jessie58
June 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I put mine in when very wet too but I put in about a handful. :D

Speckla
June 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
No, please stop talking about Potion 9. I live near a CVS but I don't need anymore conditioner! ;)

curls2grow
June 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Ladies, I am seeing that there's a Potion 9 Lite -- what's THAT about? :confused: More importantly, have any of you Potion 9 fans tried it, does it work as well as fully-leaded Potion 9, and does it have cones? :p

girlcat36
June 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I put mine in when very wet too but I put in about a handful. :D

That would be consistent with the thickness of your hair, and the, um, not-so-thickness of my hair! :p
Aaaah, the beauty of fine, thin hair!
Less product is definately a plus!

girlcat36
June 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Never heard of Potion 9 Lite!

Xandergrammy
June 8th, 2009, 08:46 PM
No, please stop talking about Potion 9. I live near a CVS but I don't need anymore conditioner! ;)

You know it's useless now- You're gonna have to try it! :gabigrin:

Speckla
June 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
You know it's useless now- You're gonna have to try it! :gabigrin:

I could pretend that I just didn't see anyone talking about it.:rolleyes:

Xandergrammy
June 8th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Ladies, I am seeing that there's a Potion 9 Lite -- what's THAT about? :confused: More importantly, have any of you Potion 9 fans tried it, does it work as well as fully-leaded Potion 9, and does it have cones? :p

I don't know about cones, but I think "plastic" when I see "copolymer"- I got these ingredient from drugstore.com for Potion 9 Lite-

Water, VP/Methacrylamide/Vinyl Imidazole Copolymer, Polyquaternium 16, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Sodium Benzoate, Styrene/VP Copolymer, Fragrance (Parfum), PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Disodium EDTA, Acetyl Glucosamine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Ethylhexyl Methoxcinnamate

curls2grow
June 8th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Never heard of Potion 9 Lite! Here's (http://www.sebastianprofessional.com/en_US/products/flow/product.jsp?id=100002) some info.
ETA: Why, oh why, don't manufacturers put ingredients on their websites? ::head/desk::
ETAA (edited to add again): Thanks, XG! :)

jessie58
June 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Never heard of the lite either.

Curlsgirl
June 9th, 2009, 06:13 AM
It's what it doesn't do!

GO GET SOME!!! :D13.00 sounds like a lot! Is it a good sized bottle (jar?) I used pink Boot's now and it does pretty much the same thing you are saying I think. But then I have never tried the Potion 9.

Potion 9 makes my curls awesome and NO FRIZZ. First product ever to do that. However it dries crunchy. I remedy that by waiting until it's dry, then I put my head down and scrunch the crunchies out. It's soft and holds the curls all day.I like something that dries crunchy and that you scrunch out, it always holds better for me.

I used it as a styler in the past but didn't get great results. Now that I have been using a ton of it on wet hair to keep my curls, I am so happy with it. I bought it last year on the advice of GirlCat but only used it occasionally. Recently I met a lady who told me she loads it on and she had the most gorgeous curls you have ever seen. So I did that after every wash and now my curls are great.Hmmmmmm needing some more and more..:)

Okay, this is exactly what I do.

Get in shower, wet hair, Vo5 FreeMeFreesia on my ends. Pour diluted shampoo on my scalp, let sit, then rinse well. Pour cold ACV rinse over all my hair and scalp. While still in the shower, put Biolage Conditioning Balm(please be cone-free! :D ) on my length, and leave it!
I do not use a towel on my hair when I get out of the shower. So my hair is very wet when I add the potion 9(nickel size dollop), and I leave that in.
That is it.I use the Biolage too and yes it is cone-free!

I put mine in when very wet too but I put in about a handful. :DI always use a lot of product too. So again, isn't that expensive? (prays not)

JKRBeloved
June 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Rats! I've been to CVS and Walmart and can't find Potion 9 at either.

Xandergrammy
June 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM

I got mine from drugstore.com. They ship pretty quickly.

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 04:37 PM
XD;;

IGNORING POTION 9. IGNORING. IGNORING. IGNAFDOJDIOJDONORING.

IN ANY CASE...

I just got some of the GVP Conditioning Balm, which is a knockoff of the Biolage Conditioning Balm concotion circa 2004. Biolage HAS refomulated since then (because I remember seing nettle on the ingredients list, but there's none on here, and the comparison ingredients aRE EXACTLY THE SAME).

I like this better than the other stuff, and it's cheaper for more product. I got two 16 oz bottles for fairly cheap, and with shipping it only came to $16.14, or so. Cheaper than one 8oz. tub of Biolage. xD;

girlcat36
June 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM

You know, last time I looked for it at CVS I couldn't find it either. I wasn't out of it yet so I didn' t worry too much about it. Now that I think of it, I told DD a few months ago to try it and she said she couldn't find it at CVS, either. Hhhmmmm....

GlassEyes---thanks for the tip on the GVP conditioner. I like that price much better than the Biolage!

GlassEyes
June 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
No problem. Totally worth it. xD; You can get it at Sally's, or sally's online. I got it online, because I couldn't find it in my Sally's.

Aries_jb
June 11th, 2009, 06:16 PM

When I used to use Potion 9 I could get it at Trade Secret or Ulta.

swirlytresses
June 12th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Sally's is having a "buy two get one free" on their GVP (generic value) products until the end of June. So I'm off today to get some of the GVP matrix biolage conditioning balm and some potion 9. I have used both before and loved them. I also have a 20% off coupon that I'm going to use....I just hope they are all stocked up. :)

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
...you mean I could've gotten ANOTHER bottle?

D:<

curls2grow
June 12th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I've been really pleased with KCCC and as others have commented, it does not necessarily require KCKT along with it to get nice curls and hold. So this started my gel experiment bend...

I got samples of Curls Gel-les'c and Curly Q Gel-les'c (pronounced "jealousy"; both made by same company, one is for kids and other is for adults; supposedly identical ingredients but kids is cheaper!!) and bought Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. The Gel-les'c is supposed to have similar hold to KCCC but with less crunch.

Wondering if anyone has any updates on their use of BRHG, especially now with hot/humid weather settling in in many regions. Also, anyone tried the Gel-les'c stuff (either version)?

swirlytresses -- If you get the GVP Potion 9, can you please post re: whether it has cones or not? Thanks :)

swirlytresses
June 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I love BRHG!!! I actually bought some from a swap board twice and ended up selling them.....I bought some more and wow! I finally figured it out. I was using it all wrong. I use about a nickel size, emulsify in my hands, and apply (scrunch) all over my hair after applying my KCCC or other gel. I've tried not using the BRHG on top of my other products and didn't get the same results. I get great results in the winter and in the summer. One bottle lasts me for a long time since I only use a nickel size at a time. I hope this helps. :)

*ETA: sorry curls2grow, I just saw the rest of your post...I believe the last time I bought the GVP Potion 9 it had the A-cone (water soluble?) in it and I didn't have any problems with it, but I will post the ingredients later to compare.

curls2grow
June 12th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Have you ever tried using BRHG over leave-in, and that's it? My usual styling routine is applying leave-in for detangling and gel for some degree of hold/frizz control. I'm thinking that for me, applying BRHG would be like applying a gel over a gel. :confused:

Brisen
June 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm glad I found this thread! I have hair that makes ringlets when it dries on its own, but they are temperamental and I'll end up with wavy hair with a few curls on the end by the next day. And my hair stays fairly straightish down to about my ears -- similar to the actress who plays Pam on The Office (except mine is frizzy, lol).

I hated my curls for so long because I didn't know what to do with them (and it didn't help that everyone always said "Natural curls! You're so lucky!"), but I'm slowly learning. I love plopping/plunking thought I don't do it often, and my hair is loving the less shampoo/more conditioner and coconut oil I'm giving it.

I'm looking forward to reading through the thread for more ideas.

swirlytresses
June 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Curls2grow, I tried my giovanni leave in mixed with some L.A. Looks gel (blue bottle, strong hold?) and that worked great....I porbably used a tablespoon of leave in and about the same of the gel, mixed it together and then applied. I got really good results with this, even decent second day hair. I have so many products that I thought I would try and use some of them up. This combo worked for me. I didn't get any "crunch" but yet I got good hold. I will also try this with my regular (thick) conditioners. I would think that the BRHG would work just as well, although you may not need as much because it has a stronger hold. I think I may try it next time. :)

swirlytresses
June 12th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Here's the ingredient list from the Sally's site for the GVP potion 9. It does have the A-cone, but low on the list.

http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/SallyBeauty/SBS-264061?

Water (Aqua/Eau), Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Panthenol, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Amodimethicone, Stearalkonium Chloride, Tocopherol, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Polysorbate 60, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Potassium Sorbate

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
A member of this forum is sending me a free sample of the KCCC this weekend. I can't wait to try it out. : D

GlassEyes
June 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Okay, just got the sample.

I'm off to shower and test it out...

curls2grow
June 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Today, I was very pleasantly surprised by KCCC. After CO washing with Suave Tropical Coconut, I used John Masters Citrus & Neroli Detangler as my leave-in, followed by KCCC. I was a bit skeptical when I left the house this morning because my hair was a bit damp still, but as the day went on my curls got better! I did have to pay attention to trying not to touch my hair during the day, but my ends start to clump and look thin, so even with finger-combing the ends, my curls held up. They were soft-looking and soft-feeling curls -- really natural looking.

Over the weekend, I transferred KCCC into a small squeezy bottle, which helps me tremendously, so that I can try to be consistent in the amount that I am using once I figure out what amount works well for me. I did not like finger-dipping to get product and it was very difficult for me to judge the "right" amount for me to use. I will definitely use KCCC more frequently now; I think the tub is a PITA to deal with.

swirlytresses
June 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Curls2grow, that is what I love about KCCC, makes my hair look and feel natural without the frizz. I've had my jar for several months and I'm finally getting to the bottom of it. I just wished I could find it locally. I have a new jar waiting to be opened. Since it lasts me so long, I can justify the price. :)

JKRBeloved
June 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I found the generic Potion 9 at my Sally's. I didn't realize it was an orange color... I'm hoping in won't yellow my hair.

Where do you buy KCCC?

jessie58
June 16th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I found the generic Potion 9 at my Sally's. I didn't realize it was an orange color... I'm hoping in won't yellow my hair.

Where do you buy KCCC?

I never even thought about color transferrance for silver hair. When you emulsify it in your hands, it just looks whitish to me though. I think it will just disappear into your hair JKRB.

GlassEyes
June 16th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Online or at some whole foods. I believe you can check the Kinky Curly Site for stores that carry it, as well as order.

CurlMart used to stock it, but they haven't been lately. It's a pretty damn hot ticket item.

Also, my hair is drying still, but it -feels- nice. Odd, since it felt sticky/stiff after I applied it. I'm using it over GVP conditioning balml and KBB Hair Milk with some CHS Curl Keeper for kicks.

swirlytresses
June 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM
http://kinky-curly.com/shop.php Here's the link to the Kinky Curly site. Curlmart carries it too, but they are currently out of stock. On the KC site, you can look to see if it's avaliable in your local area. :)

GlassEyes
June 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Dammit. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

This stuff is...I can't even TELL you how awesome my hair feels and looks right now. ARGH.

I'm ordering some. xD; Maybe even some of the other KC products too.

curly girl fla
June 17th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I got a terrific deal a few weeks ago purchasing KCCC online at Ricky's of NY-free shipping & 25&#37; off...I'll check the site for specials when I get a chance and post the link...good stuff, ain't it?! :)

Hmmm...just checked and it looks like they don't carry it any longer (maybe they take it off the site if they are out of stock?)...I guess in the future I know a Whole Foods not too far from me is supposed to stock it, so that's where I'll look next time...I'm good for awhile, though.

GlassEyes
June 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I'm ordering some friday. Thanks again for sending me the sample!

And that stinks. I was going to get it from Ricky's. Oh well. Oh, I forgot to mention they stock it too. XD

*has been debating getting it for a while, as you can tell*

jessie58
June 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I never even thought about color transferrance for silver hair. When you emulsify it in your hands, it just looks whitish to me though. I think it will just disappear into your hair JKRB.

JKRBeloved, wow, had a DUH moment there, when I put in some Potion 9 this morning. It is indeed very dark orange and does not get whiteish as you rub it in your hands, I was thinking of my pale yellow curl cream which turns very whiteish as you emulsify it. (Marc Anthony?) The potion 9 does indeed stay very orange.
Let us know if it shows on white hair.

jessie58
June 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Dammit. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

This stuff is...I can't even TELL you how awesome my hair feels and looks right now. ARGH.

I'm ordering some. xD; Maybe even some of the other KC products too.

You are making me want to try this on my hair so badly. I wonder if it will be right for my hair type. GlassEyes, will you be posting any pics with your awesome hair? ;)

curls2grow
June 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
My KCKT has found a new home. It didn't wow me as a leave-in (although I love the scent!) and I am very happy with my 2 HG leave-ins (Beauty Without Cruelty and John Masters Organics Citrus Neroli) which have given me great results with KCCC. Just posting that for anyone who thinks they have to have KCKT under KCCC in order for KCCC to work well; glad that it was recommened here and on other forums that the 2 don't have to go together to get great curls.

JKRBeloved
June 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
The potion 9 does indeed stay very orange. Let us know if it shows on white hair.

So far so good. I'm using about a half-dollar sized blob, and it doesn't seem to affect my color. I like the definition it gives.

Debra83
June 18th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Okay, I'm hopping on board the wurly/curly thread again, and hoping I don't fall off the train!!! Any hints would be great, like favourite hair tricks for styling, favourite curly products, ANYTHING AT ALL WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

jessie58
June 18th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Okay, I'm hopping on board the wurly/curly thread again, and hoping I don't fall off the train!!! Any hints would be great, like favourite hair tricks for styling, favourite curly products, ANYTHING AT ALL WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Hi Debra. :waving: I see your hair has grown since your avatar pic. You need a new one. :D. You do have nice curly hair.
I found over the 3 1/2 years that I have been on this board that I tried many different things and methods but never seemed to find the perfect combination. However lately a good haircut, that was done in such a way to encourage my curls, made a big difference in my hair. I also realized that many gel products that I rejected before because of the stiffness, could be scrunched out or softened up after you let your hair dry thoroughly. So then you get the great curls and the softness after the scrunching.

jessie58
June 18th, 2009, 12:35 AM
My KCKT has found a new home. It didn't wow me as a leave-in (although I love the scent!) and I am very happy with my 2 HG leave-ins (Beauty Without Cruelty and John Masters Organics Citrus Neroli) which have given me great results with KCCC. Just posting that for anyone who thinks they have to have KCKT under KCCC in order for KCCC to work well; glad that it was recommened here and on other forums that the 2 don't have to go together to get great curls.

So C2G, you use a leave in conditioner and then apply your gel after?
I think I will try my AG leave in conditioner and then my AG Re:coil after and see how that works for me. I usually use one or the other but I'll bet with the right amounts, they would work nicely together.

Debra83
June 18th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Hi Debra. :waving: I see your hair has grown since your avatar pic. You need a new one. :D. You do have nice curly hair.
I found over the 3 1/2 years that I have been on this board that I tried many different things and methods but never seemed to find the perfect combination. However lately a good haircut, that was done in such a way to encourage my curls, made a big difference in my hair. I also realized that many gel products that I rejected before because of the stiffness, could be scrunched out or softened up after you let your hair dry thoroughly. So then you get the great curls and the softness after the scrunching.

Thanks for that hint, I appreciate it!!! Will probably keep the av awhile longer though, I like to compare the now to the then in my sig pics/sig line. I find it encouraging to see how quickly it is actually growing, as compared to how slowly it feels like it is growing!

redcelticcurls
June 18th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Online or at some whole foods. I believe you can check the Kinky Curly Site for stores that carry it, as well as order.

CurlMart used to stock it, but they haven't been lately. It's a pretty damn hot ticket item.

Also, my hair is drying still, but it -feels- nice. Odd, since it felt sticky/stiff after I applied it. I'm using it over GVP conditioning balml and KBB Hair Milk with some CHS Curl Keeper for kicks.

I think it's been out in many places lately. My local Whole Foods has been out for weeks. I guess the demand is larger than the supply.

This does happen now and again with Kinky Curly, and I/we just have to ride it out.

I've been using that custard for two years, and I still love the stuff.

curls2grow
June 18th, 2009, 06:11 AM
So C2G, you use a leave in conditioner and then apply your gel after? Yes, for me, I always use leave-in first then the gel or other styling product. I need the leave-in for detangling (I always rinse out my regular conditiner completely in the shower) and extra conditioning, and the gel or styler to keep the curls curly and tame frizzies during the day.

GlassEyes
June 18th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I think I will try my AG leave in conditioner and then my AG Re:coil after and see how that works for me. I usually use one or the other but I'll bet with the right amounts, they would work nicely together.

I always use a leave-in with my gel. I guess it isn't completely necessary, because my hair is soft enough with CO anyway. But I always feel it isn't, because it feels stiff after a wash, but always dries just fine if I use nothing, barring frizz. xD

I think it's been out in many places lately. My local Whole Foods has been out for weeks. I guess the demand is larger than the supply.

This does happen now and again with Kinky Curly, and I/we just have to ride it out.

I've been using that custard for two years, and I still love the stuff.
I'm just going to order some from the site, then hope they stock it again at NC so I can get it with other stuff/with discounts. :P

Also, YOU'RE STILL HERE! :D:D:D You haven't posted here in a looooooooong time.

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I'm glad I found this thread! I have hair that makes ringlets when it dries on its own, but they are temperamental and I'll end up with wavy hair with a few curls on the end by the next day. And my hair stays fairly straightish down to about my ears -- similar to the actress who plays Pam on The Office (except mine is frizzy, lol).

Your hair sounds exactly like mine although plopping doesn't work for me. For frizz and extra hold I find layering products really help. I start with a leave-in like Biolage condioning balm, then work in some curl cream and then maybe a gel. I don't comb this through usually just work it in with my fingers well. Then I use a gel like KCKT or LA sports gel for a little extra hold and to totally eliminate the rest of the frizz and let it dry completely without touching!!! Then I scrunch out the crunch lightly and I get great results.

I think I will try my AG leave in conditioner and then my AG Re:coil after and see how that works for me. I usually use one or the other but I'll bet with the right amounts, they would work nicely together.I always used a leave-in and holding cream and/or gel together. One is not enough for the best results for me.

Hi Redcelticcurls! I have missed seeing you around here!

redcelticcurls
June 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hee! ReddishRocks's posts over at NC has my checking in more! :)

jessie58
June 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
G2G, GlassEyes, Curlsgirl, now that I know your secret of using both products, you can bet I will be trying the same, you all have gorgeous hair.

Speaking of gorgeous hair, RedCelticCurls, I haven't seen you around in a while either and I LOVE your hair.

GlassEyes
June 18th, 2009, 10:31 AM
G2G, GlassEyes, Curlsgirl, now that I know your secret of using both products, you can bet I will be trying the same, you all have gorgeous hair.

Speaking of gorgeous hair, RedCelticCurls, I haven't seen you around in a while either and I LOVE your hair.

Haha, thank you. :p Your's is very nice too. I don't know if I said that your recent cut looks nice, but it does.

Also, agreed on RedCelticCurls' hair.

redcelticcurls
June 18th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys!

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Speaking of gorgeous hair, RedCelticCurls, I haven't seen you around in a while either and I LOVE your hair.Awwwwww Jessie you are 2 sweet! I always loved your hair too! And you are totally right about the others!!!