PDA

View Full Version : Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Kelikea
September 30th, 2011, 05:11 AM
My hair tangle the most on the underside. It is very fine and I think it rubs on my back, creating little knots and matts.

Does anyone use Aveda Be Curly to help hold the curl? My hair starts of as 2c but can "fall" throughout the day until it looks 2a. Gel and mousse seem to make it tangle more.

cmg
October 1st, 2011, 04:15 AM
Commercial gels and mousse can do that for me too. Homemade psyllium seed gel has never given me this problem. I guess with fuller/thicker hair you would just have to crunch it out a bit first before you get it the way you like it.

jaine
October 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
My curl is so dependent on the weather ... I look like anything from 3a to 2a, depending on how humid it is. Too much effort to fight the weather I think.

Infinity
October 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM
regarding the You tube video with the girl with the curly red hair with her system. : I noticed she used LA Looks gel. It was a huge bottle of yellow gel. Has anyone tried this?? What are your opinions and experiences with this product? I have yet to fine the right one.
Thank you!

ElusiveMuse
October 1st, 2011, 12:11 PM
I don't know if this makes sense, but coconut oil perks my curl pattern up for some reason.

jaine
October 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
regarding the You tube video with the girl with the curly red hair with her system. : I noticed she used LA Looks gel. It was a huge bottle of yellow gel. Has anyone tried this?? What are your opinions and experiences with this product? I have yet to fine the right one.
Thank you!

I heard that LA Looks gel works great for the "curly girl" method although I haven't tried it...I have really sensitive skin, and synthetic fragrances usually give me a headache, so I avoid drugstore products...and I pay dearly for this but oh well.

My favorite gel is Max Green Alchemy sculpting gel....love that, I've used it for years. Hope they never change the formula. I use it for damp-bunning to get my hair really smooth, and for scrunching to encourage curls if I want to wear it curly.

C.H.
October 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM
I heard that LA Looks gel works great for the "curly girl" method although I haven't tried it...I have really sensitive skin, and synthetic fragrances usually give me a headache, so I avoid drugstore products...and I pay dearly for this but oh well.

My favorite gel is Max Green Alchemy sculpting gel....love that, I've used it for years. Hope they never change the formula. I use it for damp-bunning to get my hair really smooth, and for scrunching to encourage curls if I want to wear it curly.

I use the LA Looks sport (blue) with very good results. It has a following among people using the CG method. For some people it works just as well or even better than the fancy expensive ones, and for some people it doesn't work at all. But it's worth trying, because a giant bottle only costs $2-3.

If you're wondering about specific products, you might check out the product reviews section of naturallycurly.com. I got a lot of good info there when I was just starting out and feeling a little overwhelmed trying to figure out what products to try.

longcurlygirl<3
October 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thank you!

I feel the yellow may make my curls wierd so I use either the LA LOOKS SPORTS GEL [dark blue] didn't like the curl one [light blue] but I <3 THE NUTRACURL WITH AVOCADO OIL... it is amazing!!! Best thing on soaking wet hair!! my curls sprang from 3b to 3cs?

longcurlygirl<3
October 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM
Curly-haired people: what is your favorite product or tool to reduce tangles when you wear your hair curly? Also, are massive tangles normal when you wear it curly or does that mean I'm doing something wrong?

(sorry, hate to sound dumb... but I have always dried my hair in a braid or a bun, ever since I was a kid. I really just don't know how to deal with it in its natural state.)

I only wore it curly for 3 hours today, and the nape of my neck was one huge tangle by the time I got home. I wasn't even wearing anything scratchy.

Applying kinky curly knot today helps with tangles. And any tangles gets out with herbal essences hello hydration conditioner. Yes, massive tangles are normal ESPECIALLY if you wear it out and curly :doh: grzz, which is the price we as curlies must pay. You don't sound dumb it is a reasonable question.

C.H.
October 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM
Yeah, tangles are totally normal for curlies. I was trying to explain to a straight-haired friend just how tangle-prone my curly hair is. And I finally said, "You have to understand, curls are basically organized tangles."

jaine
October 1st, 2011, 05:29 PM
Now the air is drying out a bit and my hair is migrating back towards waves instead of curls. Kind of sad that I didn't wear it curly more often this summer...people in real life tell me it looks the best that way. Oh well, maybe next summer!

cmg
October 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
I wish I didnt have to mail order everything that works for curlies :(

pes3108
October 1st, 2011, 08:45 PM
What is the best way to thicken curly ends?? This is my hair now:

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/pes3108/th_002-1.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/pes3108/?action=view&current=002-1.jpg)

the ends look so stringy! i feel like once the other layers start growing out it will look better, but i have some layers now they are barely at shoulder. any advice??

ElusiveMuse
October 1st, 2011, 08:51 PM
What is the best way to thicken curly ends?? This is my hair now:

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/pes3108/th_002-1.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/pes3108/?action=view&current=002-1.jpg)

the ends look so stringy! i feel like once the other layers start growing out it will look better, but i have some layers now they are barely at shoulder. any advice??

None except to wait it out, which is what I'm also doing, and know you aren't alone! You have to decide which is more important to you, length or thickness of hemline. I decided that I would trim my longest layer back as it reached waist length, which normally means going back to mid-back or BSL. It has taken me a year and I'm almost back to a single length, but it has been worth it. I have about two layers to go and one is around APL so it will probably take another year or longer.

pes3108
October 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM
None except to wait it out, which is what I'm also doing, and know you aren't alone! You have to decide which is more important to you, length or thickness of hemline. I decided that I would trim my longest layer back as it reached waist length, which normally means going back to mid-back or BSL. It has taken me a year and I'm almost back to a single length, but it has been worth it. I have about two layers to go and one is around APL so it will probably take another year or longer.

well its nice to know I'm not alone! I guess I'm going to try to wait it out too and trim it back after Christmas maybe ... or after the longest layers reach a solid waist (whichever comes first lol). I hate having such stringy, thin ends!!
Do you plan on keeping some layering or getting it all an even length? I can't decide which looks better on curly hair.

GRU
October 2nd, 2011, 07:27 AM
Applying kinky curly knot today helps with tangles. And any tangles gets out with herbal essences hello hydration conditioner. Yes, massive tangles are normal ESPECIALLY if you wear it out and curly :doh: grzz, which is the price we as curlies must pay. You don't sound dumb it is a reasonable question.

Just a heads-up to those who don't know, Hello Hydration has a 'cone in it.

cmg
October 2nd, 2011, 05:46 PM
I actually BRUSH :lipssealed: my ends when they get stringy
*ducking and running away hiding*

curlytm
October 3rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
All right, curlies. There's something we need to talk about. Stretching washes.

How do you do it?!? Do ANY of you have secrets for nice second/third day curls? My curls that were nice and clumped on day 1 flatten out and look like "early" dreds by day 2-3. It's horrendous!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8757&pictureid=114731

Here's my hair from the front:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8757&pictureid=114732

I don't like overloading my hair with gel or product, but even though I take LOTS of measures to keep my thirsty hair hydrated, it LOOKS more dry than it IS because of my hair's texture when I'm stretching washes. I usually use these days for updos and oiling, but I'm open to suggestions.

This is my only current solution:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8757&pictureid=114733

GRU
October 3rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Second day hair for GRU = bun/braid.

There is no such thing as "second day curls" for me.

kitschy
October 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM

How do you do it?!? Do ANY of you have secrets for nice second/third day curls? My curls that were nice and clumped on day 1 flatten out and look like "early" dreds by day 2-3. It's horrendous!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8757&pictureid=114731

Here's my hair from the front:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8757&pictureid=114732

I don't like overloading my hair with gel or product, but even though I take LOTS of measures to keep my thirsty hair hydrated, it LOOKS more dry than it IS because of my hair's texture when I'm stretching washes. I usually use these days for updos and oiling, but I'm open to suggestions.

This is my only current solution:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8757&pictureid=114733

I pineapple my hair in a scrunchy on the top of my head at night when I sleep. Here is my second day hair. I think my definition of 3A/3B might be different than yours.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6031&pictureid=94886
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6031&pictureid=94886

curlytm
October 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
I think my definition of 3A/3B might be different than yours.

Perhaps. I have lost a lot of curl at my ends due to damage. However, on freshly washed/dried hair, I do have looping ringlets that vary in diameter from 0.5-1.5" around my face (what I think of as 3a) and on the canopy to 0.5" from my crown down to my nape (3b). The photos are of 3rd day hair. :)

I do prefer to continue to stretch my washes, and maybe I'll try the pineapple-scrunchie trick. In the meantime, I'll try heavy moisture treatments to try to wake up my curls.

katsrevenge
October 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Hello! I am also a curly. I've noticed my curls are stretching with length though. When it was to my neck.. I almost looked like I had a curly pixie cut. Now that im at BSL(When its straight) my hair is "wearable" down and my curls aren't half as tight. They are "longer" if that makes any since, I was kind of worried that if I ever reach tailbone, My curls will be turned into weird looking waves or something of that sort.

My hair does this.

It will probably turn into basically what I have now. And, don't worry, it is just as lovely! It's just a bit different.

jaine
October 3rd, 2011, 07:22 PM

How do you do it?!? Do ANY of you have secrets for nice second/third day curls?

If I want to stretch washes then I usually damp-bun to straighten it, and then sleep with a silk sleeping cap. That works OK for 3 or 4 days for me. Second-day curls I'm not so sure. I don't think that has ever worked for me. (Unless you count spraying it with water on the 2nd day to form clumps again. Sometimes I do that.)

Copasetic
October 3rd, 2011, 09:45 PM
I wish I didnt have to mail order everything that works for curlies :(

Agreed! I only mail order a few things, but it drives me insane. Shipping costs are outrageous. I don't get why stores near me can't just carry KCCC.

AnAudLife
October 3rd, 2011, 11:04 PM
Checking in because I'm a curly girl and I love my curls. Just had a bad, beyond bad haircut this past Saturday and I'm sick over it. I lost a good 6-8 inches in length and the long layers I asked for somehow translated to (a very experienced and highly recommended stylist) 1980's short to long layers. I'm devastated.

Now the wait begins....

GRU
October 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Checking in because I'm a curly girl and I love my curls. Just had a bad, beyond bad haircut this past Saturday and I'm sick over it. I lost a good 6-8 inches in length and the long layers I asked for somehow translated to (a very experienced and highly recommended stylist) 1980's short to long layers. I'm devastated.

Now the wait begins....

So sorry to hear about the cut... since 1992 there has only been ONE person besides myself that has touched my hair with scissors -- there is simply nobody else I trust to not butcher it.

You're in good company there, though -- many of us have been where you are, and lived to tell the tale!

PinkyCat
October 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Now the wait begins....

Oh yes. This is an all too familiar tale in curly land. I had my waist length curls whacked into what I could only describe as an "anorexic jellyfish" a year ago. Hang in there - you'll get inspired here.

GRU
October 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Oh yes. This is an all too familiar tale in curly land. I had my waist length curls whacked into what I could only describe as an "anorexic jellyfish" a year ago. Hang in there - you'll get inspired here.

Hey PC, when you've been here long enough and posted enough to be able to change your user title, I put my vote in for "anorexic jellyfish"! :lol:

PinkyCat
October 4th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Hey PC, when you've been here long enough and posted enough to be able to change your user title, I put my vote in for "anorexic jellyfish"! :lol:

LOL! Hopefully by then I'll be "Steroid Bodybuilder Jellyfish" or "Gilbert Grape's Mamma Jellyfish".

Bethfriend
October 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hi! I was going to start reading and saw how many pages there were! So I decided to just jump in instead and continue from here. :) I have wavy hair. Not so pretty right now because I can't seem to find the right combination of things to do with my hair. :\ I'm hoping to figure it out since I joined on here.

Swan 92
October 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM
So I did my first cone free wash last night and it's turned my wavy hair more wurly.

Just like it was when I was a kid. And to be honest I hate it. :(

I think wurly and curly looks amazing on you ladies and gents but on me it just brings back bad memories of all the mean hair comments I got from family and other kids.

"Do you even brush your hair?"

"You have curls in all the wrong places."

"You should get your hair straightened."

:brickwall

C.H.
October 4th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hi! I was going to start reading and saw how many pages there were! So I decided to just jump in instead and continue from here. :) I have wavy hair. Not so pretty right now because I can't seem to find the right combination of things to do with my hair. :\ I'm hoping to figure it out since I joined on here.

Welcome, Bethfriend. We're happy to help. Looking forward to seeing you show off some lovely waves. And you might find that as you establish the right routine and give you hair what it needs, it might get wavier--it's not uncommon. Be sure check out the Wavy Wurly thread as well.

girlcat36
October 4th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I used to sleep with my hair in a 'pineapple', but now that it's past BSL the high ponytail thing at night makes my hair look worse in the morning. Now I just let it all hang out at night.
What to you curlies who are past BSL do with your hair at night?

cmg
October 4th, 2011, 06:15 PM

ing, but I'm open to suggestions.
Saltwater sprays may be helpful to you, perhaps mixed with glycerin or Aloe Vera gel. And then scrunch. But dont overuse, they are drying. Especially on damaged hair.

Now the wait begins....
Im so sorry for you! I know exactly how this feels. When it happened to me i would go somewhere else and get a haircut that gives the whole thing a different look. Long layers are not the best thing if you want to grow them out again, the hairs cant protect each other.

I used to sleep with my hair in a 'pineapple', but now that it's past BSL the high ponytail thing at night makes my hair look worse in the morning. Now I just let it all hang out at night.
I used to have kneelength hair and did not bun it or anything during nighttime. I toss and turn a lot during night, but still, it didnt tangle so much that I did anything special with it. I had (and still have) very thin and fine hair. Perhaps it detangled by itself. :o Braiding it made it worse. Swetty scalp and ruined ends (several inches got poker straight and fuzzy). Sorry, couldnt be of much help to you. It is about APL today and I dont feel the need to do anything yet.

Bethfriend
October 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I know that there is no such thing as a dumb question...but where do I find that? ):

GRU
October 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I know that there is no such thing as a dumb question...but where do I find that? ):

Here you go: The Wavy and Wurly thread! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563)

darkwaves
October 4th, 2011, 09:50 PM
My curl is so dependent on the weather ... I look like anything from 3a to 2a, depending on how humid it is. Too much effort to fight the weather I think. I think it's related to having F / fine hair, too. (Mine is also very changeable!)

And yes, winter is coming on, which means dryness and far fewer curls for some of us.

darkwaves
October 4th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I am a 2c/3a with finer curls. Hi Curlsgirl! Welcome back! And I'm sure your hair still looks wonderful -- and will grow beautifully this time, too.

ElusiveMuse
October 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM
A friend who went to beauty school once told me that "long layers" to a stylist means "a lot of space between the shortest and longest layer" and not "all the layers long." I feel like the whole 1980s layer look always used to happen to me, too, until I realized that I got the jargon wrong.

Kelikea
October 5th, 2011, 05:04 AM

I lightly twist mine into a slumber cap and then shake gently to unwind a bit. This keeps it from tangling and slides on the pillow (and I also have a big dog that sleeps with me, so no hair pulls by the dog, or the HB.) I know I'm not "curly" but it does help my waves look fresh.

Sunshineliz
October 5th, 2011, 06:36 AM
So I did my first cone free wash last night and it's turned my wavy hair more wurly.

Just like it was when I was a kid. And to be honest I hate it. :(

I think wurly and curly looks amazing on you ladies and gents but on me it just brings back bad memories of all the mean hair comments I got from family and other kids.

"Do you even brush your hair?"

"You have curls in all the wrong places."

"You should get your hair straightened."

:brickwall

I feel for you. :flower: Wear your hair however you want.

moon2dove
October 5th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I was so ready to wear my curly hair down a couple of days ago. There I was all smiles, when I happen to have the last look in the mirror...HORRORS OF HORRORS!!! My hair looked a MESS!! I ask H what he thought and he admitted it looked a mess too :(
My ringlets and waves had gone and I was left with a head full of scraggly hair! I ended up wearing it up.
I am now sitting here after a CO wash, my hair is nearly dry. I have one ringlet each side and the back? ...Well they have completely fallen out. How depressed am I with my hair at this moment :(

PS:....And bad frizzes too :(

chihuahuaesque
October 5th, 2011, 07:18 AM
My hair is to my tailbone, and every night I lightly twist it up and bobby pin it. I never wear my hair in updos and I can get away with wearing it down on the second day with it still looking good. It keeps one side from getting flat (which happens if I sleep with it down... it frizzes and flattens!).

Growing up I always wanted straight hair, but I've definitely embraced the curly and wurly since mid-way through college. I haven't worn my hair up in years... I wear it down and curly every single day. Some days I still wish it was straight, but I appreciate having it the way it is.

Lucie159
October 5th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I have a question for all of you. I've always envied the straight hair girls their updo and braided hairstyles, they always look so sleek and shiny. I want to braid my hair, its bsl, but I don't know how to do many braids. My hair always ends up stiff in a braid, it doesn't curve against my body like the straight hair braids, it kind of sticks straight out if you know what I mean. do you think I am braiding it too tight, or is it just that I will never be able to braid my hair? I have gotten it to be much more conditioned and full of moisture since I first came to LHC, but it still doesn't do what I want it to do. Any suggestions?

ElusiveMuse
October 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Check out the difference in my curl pattern from about nine months ago until now. It is so much more defined! Is this because I have healthier hair now, or is it because I used 'cone free shampoo and conditioner today?

I always felt that I needed 'cones but now I'm wondering if my hair is smoothed down enough on its own (i.e. healthier) that I don't need 'cones to smooth it down for me any more. What do you think? (It also looks much shiner today than before, even though in both pics my hair is totally dry.)

I'd love to switch to 'cone free because I've heard that 'cones can cause more shedding and my hair is really thinning right now because of stress, so I'd like to do what I can to minimize shedding from other factors.

Anyway, the first pic is my curl pattern nine months ago, with my normal 'coney stuff and air dried. The second pic is my hair today, 'cone free and in much healthier shape overall, also air dried. It's funny because my hair is longer today than nine months ago, obviously (although I trimmed about 3-4 inches since then) but I think the tighter curls eat up a lot of length!

9 months ago curl pattern
http://i54.tinypic.com/2hftci0.jpg

And today
http://i52.tinypic.com/1zwdri0.jpg

cmg
October 7th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Hey, thats what I call an improvement! It looks great and I dont think it looks dry at all! *thumbsup*

C.H.
October 7th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Whoa that is a big difference. Very pretty curls.

girlcat36
October 7th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I lightly twist mine into a slumber cap and then shake gently to unwind a bit. This keeps it from tangling and slides on the pillow (and I also have a big dog that sleeps with me, so no hair pulls by the dog, or the HB.) I know I'm not "curly" but it does help my waves look fresh.

What type of slumber cap do you use?

DarkSky
October 8th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Agreed! I only mail order a few things, but it drives me insane. Shipping costs are outrageous. I don't get why stores near me can't just carry KCCC.

I hear you. I know "curl ambassadors" in toronto has the kinky curly line. If they are far from you you should see if they could ship it to you. Also across the border in "walden galeria" mall there is a beauty supply store that has everything.

DarkSky
October 8th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Elusivemuse that is a huge difference!! I love it! I'm not sure about the answer to your Q.

Sookie
October 8th, 2011, 06:34 AM
The only problem i have with my wurly hair is the length that i loose :( my hair straightened is BSL but natural APL. So unfair... :/

moon2dove
October 8th, 2011, 06:46 AM
The only problem i have with my wurly hair is the length that i loose :( my hair straightened is BSL but natural APL. So unfair... :/

Ditto^^^ When I use to straighten <<:eyebrows::o I could 'see' the length. Now it looks the same length even when I have growth !

longcurlygirl<3
October 8th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I'm having the best third day hair!!! The LA LOOKS LOOKS NUTRACURL with avocado oil over kinky curly knot today it's the best combination.

ElusiveMuse
October 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks, Curlies. I love this more defined curl pattern and I hope I can figure out what makes it happen to keep it up! Usually I am an ardent 'cone user but maybe now that my hair is healthier, they just don't need cones any more? Will experiment and let you know, I guess!

Also, sorry, meant to embed that second picture. Will try to edit to fix it.

Also, also, my curls totally lasted being slept on, but I notice that touching them in any way pretty much kills them dead. I went to pull the front back last night and the sections by my face instantly turned to poufy waves. Would a spritz of water get them back to how they were before?

jaine
October 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
So I have a question for all of you ... would you type this hair as 2c? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Sm0ZkRMd5Is/TONIhc1bWAI/AAAAAAAAAQo/F8S8jlvwE2I/s1600/Taylor-Swift4.jpg

It's not me of course but it's almost exactly the same texture as my hair. I'm just trying to figure out if my hairtyping skills are off base. Every time there's a hair typing thread it seems like I disagree with the results. For example everyone else says 2b and I say 2a. Or everyone else says 2a but I say 1c.

kitschy
October 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM
So I have a question for all of you ... would you type this hair as 2c? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Sm0ZkRMd5Is/TONIhc1bWAI/AAAAAAAAAQo/F8S8jlvwE2I/s1600/Taylor-Swift4.jpg

It's not me of course but it's almost exactly the same texture as my hair. I'm just trying to figure out if my hairtyping skills are off base. Every time there's a hair typing thread it seems like I disagree with the results. For example everyone else says 2b and I say 2a. Or everyone else says 2a but I say 1c.

I'd call that 2c as it appears, but you have to remember, it has been combed, teased and manipulated. I think she is a 3A if she leaves her hair alone to dry naturally.

An example is Nicole Kidman - you can find pictures of her ranging from a 1B to a 3c depending on how her hair is styled, fried and bleached. But her natural hair is probably 3B

kitschy
October 8th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Picture of Nicole Kidman 1 vs 3
http://www.kahsoon.com/images/nicole-kidman.jpg

TrudieCat
October 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM

I agree with kitschy, it's 2c post-manipulation. But I do call it 2c.

There is a lot of up-typing around the internets, IMO, and I find I do not often agree with how people hair in the 2b - 3a range.

MrsGuther
October 8th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Since I have been treating my hair better in the last year I have definitely noticed my natural wurls/curls/waves are looking really good. I stopped flat ironing on a weekly basis about a year and a half ago. I detest the things that a flat iron does to the condition of my hair. I now love my curls!

Kelikea
October 8th, 2011, 03:37 PM
What type of slumber cap do you use?

Its the cheap $2 satin one from Walmart.

Kelikea
October 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM

I'd call it 3a because it has so much volume at the roots and ringlets on the sides and ends. I call mine 2b/2c and it lays much flatter on top.

Quixii
October 8th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Looks to me like a brushed out 3a-ish. So appearing somewhat as a 2c, but I don't believe that's what it would look like naturally (which is what hair-typing is supposed to classify).

ElusiveMuse
October 8th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I'm no good at hair typing. I'm not even sure I got my own right! (Pic on page 580 if anyone wants to weigh in, I'd appreciate it!)

cmg
October 9th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I went to pull the front back last night and the sections by my face instantly turned to poufy waves. Would a spritz of water get them back to how they were before?
Salt water spray will. Or with glycerine or Aloe Vera in it. You would have to experiment!

Picture of Nicole Kidman 1 vs 3
http://www.kahsoon.com/images/nicole-kidman.jpg
Oh boy! I have never seen this much curls on her. Her naturals could very well be close to 3b.

redmj
October 9th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Hello. I am trying to find hair styles that work with my natural curls and not against them. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me.

C.H.
October 9th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Since I have been treating my hair better in the last year I have definitely noticed my natural wurls/curls/waves are looking really good. I stopped flat ironing on a weekly basis about a year and a half ago. I detest the things that a flat iron does to the condition of my hair. I now love my curls!

I'm happy for you! You have lovely wurls!

C.H.
October 9th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Looks to me like a brushed out 3a-ish. So appearing somewhat as a 2c, but I don't believe that's what it would look like naturally (which is what hair-typing is supposed to classify).

That's what I was thinking. It looks somwhat brushed. But with more definition it would probably be a 3a. Hard to tell for sure as it is, though. I agree with whoever said that the amount of volume she has as the roots is an indicator. I could be wrong, but I feel like 2s don't usually start curling right at the roots like that.

jaine
October 9th, 2011, 10:12 PM
That's what I was thinking. It looks somwhat brushed. But with more definition it would probably be a 3a. Hard to tell for sure as it is, though. I agree with whoever said that the amount of volume she has as the roots is an indicator. I could be wrong, but I feel like 2s don't usually start curling right at the roots like that.

If I scrunch or plop my hair then my curls start at the root...does that mean I'm not a 2?
I guess one of these days I should do a proper hair typing picture, but the thought of shampooing my hair without any conditioner makes me shudder :(

Copasetic
October 9th, 2011, 10:32 PM
This girl has the best hair I have ever seen, and she does everything curlies "aren't supposed to do." So jealous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwAZudH3XA8

C.H.
October 9th, 2011, 11:30 PM
If I scrunch or plop my hair then my curls start at the root...does that mean I'm not a 2?
I guess one of these days I should do a proper hair typing picture, but the thought of shampooing my hair without any conditioner makes me shudder :(

Who am I to say? But it sounds like you're saying it doesn't do that naturally, but only with manipulation. I think most 3s don't have to coax their hair into doing that. Just my thoughts. .

C.H.
October 9th, 2011, 11:44 PM
This girl has the best hair I have ever seen, and she does everything curlies "aren't supposed to do." So jealous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwAZudH3XA8

I was debating whether I should go straight or curly after washing tomorrow. Seeing her hair makes me want to go curly again! All that volume she has is so sexy! I don't know if I could achieve that without some layers.

Athena's Owl
October 9th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I dont' agree with this "only 3s have hair that curls right at the roots." my hair is flat as flat at the root unless I go out of my way to dry it with top volume.

That picture of taylor swift is 2c. the curl circumference is much larger than sidewalk chalk, so 3a is out.

Nocturnal
October 10th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Is anyone using and can recommend a protein treatment? I'm thinking some kind of protein mask to pick up the volume and texture, since I've been mostly smoothing out and moisturizing in order to detangle for the summer, so I would like to see if it would make a difference in texture. I would like to try it before it gets colder and the hat season rolls out.

Athena's Owl
October 10th, 2011, 03:17 AM
my hair really freaks out at protein so I avoid it. Also, I need to use gluten rfee products and a lot of protein in hair products is from wheat. but I have heard that Aphogee Intensive two minute keratin reconstructor is a very good protein treatment. just be sure to follow up with a moisture treatment afterward.

Copasetic
October 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I was debating whether I should go straight or curly after washing tomorrow. Seeing her hair makes me want to go curly again! All that volume she has is so sexy! I don't know if I could achieve that without some layers.

She makes me want to get layers put in my hair. I could never get that kind of volume with my hair the way it is now.

ElusiveMuse
October 10th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Layers never give my hair volume. If anything, they make my hair look more thin, and I can get it pretty curly.

kitschy
October 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Layers give my hair more volume. I've been trying to grow mine out.

I've noticed that far fewer people have been complimenting my hair now that it is longer and less layered - AND WOW that girl uses nothing but cones. Maybe I should go back to layers and cones.

TrudieCat
October 10th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I dont' agree with this "only 3s have hair that curls right at the roots." my hair is flat as flat at the root unless I go out of my way to dry it with top volume.

That picture of taylor swift is 2c. the curl circumference is much larger than sidewalk chalk, so 3a is out.

My sister has Sharpie-marker-circumference curls, but her hair is flat at the roots, so I agree with this. She is unquestionably 3a, but her hair hangs to TB curly so if course she's not going to have much root curl - all that hair gets heavy!

ETA: I think it's very possible that teasing/blowdrying was involved in that Taylor Swift look. I wouldn't assume the root lift is natural. That's why celebrities have stylists.

DreamDance
October 10th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I have 2a-2c hair depending on the weather, but I always have a lot of volume at my roots on first day hair, often even to 3rd or fourth day hair with no heat styling or clipping.

Then again my son who has marker size circumference curls (3a-3b) has very flat roots. If we cut it very short it takes almost 3 inches of hair before his hair starts curling again, and they hang very uniformly down and the roots look flat if I don't clip them for him while his hair is drying.

jaine
October 10th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Who am I to say? But it sounds like you're saying it doesn't do that naturally, but only with manipulation. I think most 3s don't have to coax their hair into doing that. Just my thoughts. .

To be honest I'm not sure what it would do with no products and no manipulation....my hair is either damp-bunned, or plopped & scrunched...always with gel. I guess I should try that one of these days. When it rains my hair reverts to some curls and some waves so I picked 2c for now.

CurlyGirly
October 10th, 2011, 02:31 PM
My hair will not be 3b curly without products (at the very least a leave-in). It's more like a 2c/3a or ball of fluffy without something in it to help it. With something in it, my hair is very much 3b with ringlette curls. Weird.

Copasetic
October 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I went into a salon today in search of Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. The lady at the front desk asked me what I was looking for, and when I told her, she brought me to the display with some kind of Biosilk serum. I told her that I was looking for Biosilk gel, and she told me it didn't exist. :confused: After a two minute back and forth conversation, she still didn't believe me! I finally just told her to google it. It was such a weird conversation, especially with the owner for a salon!

C.H.
October 11th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I went into a salon today in search of Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. The lady at the front desk asked me what I was looking for, and when I told her, she brought me to the display with some kind of Biosilk serum. I told her that I was looking for Biosilk gel, and she told me it didn't exist. :confused: After a two minute back and forth conversation, she still didn't believe me! I finally just told her to google it. It was such a weird conversation, especially with the owner for a salon!

That is strange. How did she react when she discovered she was wrong? Or did the googling happen after you left? "Rock hard gelee" is such an odd product name to just make up.

jadys
October 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
My hair got layered, but has always been very wavy. Now it's curlying right at the ends..doing a flippy thing too. When it's wet it's just almost APL...but not dry, it's like it shrinks 2 inches to spite me :(

I wonder if it's the layers, or I just have to wait for the curls to weigh down. :mad:

Copasetic
October 12th, 2011, 09:36 AM
That is strange. How did she react when she discovered she was wrong? Or did the googling happen after you left? "Rock hard gelee" is such an odd product name to just make up.

I'm not sure. By the end of the conversation she still didn't believe me. I really hope she googled once I left. I am drying to try it, and don't want to pay shipping fees :p

cmg
October 12th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Sometimes the cosmetic brands dont inform their own people of all products in the different lines. I have worked for two major worldwide brands and there are always products launched in small series or in different countries, that are not known everywhere. The hairdressers reaction bordered on rude though in my opinion. That is another matter. Sometimes the customer is actually right :D

getoffmyskittle
October 13th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I found out today that I'm a wurly/curly. I've been an LHCer for almost seven (7!) years (less two months) and I never knew until now.

Picture for those inclined: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/getoffmyskittle/DSCF0766-1.jpg

... hi!

Hotrox
October 13th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I found out today that I'm a wurly/curly. I've been an LHCer for almost seven (7!) years (less two months) and I never knew until now.

Picture for those inclined: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/getoffmyskittle/DSCF0766-1.jpg

... hi!

So you are :D Welcome to out thread, very pretty wurls you have there too. Are you looking to enhance them even more?

getoffmyskittle
October 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM
So you are :D Welcome to out thread, very pretty wurls you have there too. Are you looking to enhance them even more?

I guess so! I thought I was a 2a, so this is very new to me. :D

GRU
October 14th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Seven years.... WOW!

Welcome aboard the train to your new destination, skits! :cheese:

jaine
October 15th, 2011, 01:57 PM

... hi!

Pretty hair but I definitely wouldn't call it 3a...do you have a hairtyping picture?
It kind of looks like 2a to me but it's hard to tell since most of the hair isn't in the picture. But your siggy picture looks like 2a or 2b.

kitschy
October 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Wow getoffmyskittle your hair is very, very nice. I love the body, shine and waves and wurls!

Copasetic
October 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM

... hi!

What happened? Did your hair just start to get wurly recently?

Mopolop
October 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Newbie curly here! :)

ttverdy
October 15th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hi all you wurlies and curlies!

I just wanted to share a bit of gel victory I had today, because I've had a hard time finding a gel that tames my frizz without being crunchy or making my curls too stuck together. I tried Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel today, and it made my curls frizz-free without being crunchy! I am so psyched!

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h404/ttverdy/curls-1.jpg

I totally recommend it!

LoversLullaby
October 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Do any curlies on LHC use mousse on a regular basis? I use Herbal Essence's Totally Twisted mousse, and it's alcohol free and cone free. Mousse honestly the only product that doesn't weigh down my curls and make them stringy. If i use no product, my hair is very frizzy. My relatively fine hair gets weighed down easily and then it looks icky.
I know mousse gets a lot of bad rep around here, but honestly, in my opinion, if it doesn't have any alcohol in it, it really can't be bad. My hair is soft and fairly split-end free. :)

ttverdy - What beautiful hair! I think we might be hair twins. Your hair looks almost like mine, besides the color!

cmg
October 16th, 2011, 04:52 AM
ttverdy and LoversLullaby: You both have wonderful hair! Nice curls.

I use homemade gel made of Psyllium seeds. Look for flax seed gel reciepes on LHC, the psyllium is mentioned there too. I dont buy gels nowadays. I find them so sticky in comparison and they leave residues. I used to use mousse regularly, both with and without alcohol, but I quit a year ago and I think this has helped approving my hair quality.

Hotrox
October 16th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Do any curlies on LHC use mousse on a regular basis? I use Herbal Essence's Totally Twisted mousse, and it's alcohol free and cone free. Mousse honestly the only product that doesn't weigh down my curls and make them stringy. If i use no product, my hair is very frizzy. My relatively fine hair gets weighed down easily and then it looks icky.
I know mousse gets a lot of bad rep around here, but honestly, in my opinion, if it doesn't have any alcohol in it, it really can't be bad. My hair is soft and fairly split-end free. :)

I have just gone back to using mousse, I tried all the other methods here and it seems that mouse is the one product I can rely on to give hold, minimise frizz and be free of the crunch. I like it :eyebrows:

I will be watching closely to see if it negatively effects my hairs condition, but I'm not sure if LHC has just made me overly paranoid about mousse. I will update if I see anything bad happening to my hair

Debra83
October 16th, 2011, 08:58 PM

ttverdy - What beautiful hair! I think we might be hair twins. Your hair looks almost like mine, besides the color!

I have just gone back to using mousse, I tried all the other methods here and it seems that mouse is the one product I can rely on to give hold, minimise frizz and be free of the crunch. I like it :eyebrows:

I will be watching closely to see if it negatively effects my hairs condition, but I'm not sure if LHC has just made me overly paranoid about mousse. I will update if I see anything bad happening to my hair

That's funny, I never read anything bad about mousse here before? :confused:

But, now that I've read something good about mousse, and seen your beautiful curls and NO FRIZZ, I'm definitely going to try some!!! :cheese:

Hotrox
October 16th, 2011, 09:04 PM
That's funny, I never read anything bad about mousse here before? :confused:

But, now that I've read something good about mousse, and seen your beautiful curls and NO FRIZZ, I'm definitely going to try some!!! :cheese:

If I use a small amount (golf ball sized), distribute it evenly and let it air dry after a light finger forming and small scrunch to the ends, I get a good result - minimal frizz and no crunch. Some people think that mousee is drying and not 'curly girl' compatible - I think that is what I read about it! I avoided it for over a year but have just happily returned to it.

RainbowHawk
October 17th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Hello ladies. :) I've been reading along, but haven't had much to post. I don't feel like my hair is growing at all, despite feeling much more reasonable now that I've been using protein, so most of my posts would have involved a lot of whining and "when will it get longer, damn it?!" :o Hence, silence. ;)

The weather has been cooler, so I've been wearing it down more often. :) That said, it's also been fairly dry, so now I'm thinking about adding more moisture to my routine as we move into winter. How do you ladies change your hair care with the weather? Also, I've been thinking about growth patterns. I've read in several places that a lot of people find their hair grows more slowly over the winter-- is that true? :( If so, is there anything I can do to counter the effect? I already feel as though it's growing very slowly just because the curls seem to suck up any growth. Even now that seems to be the case, though the upper third is reflecting the weather and is less-curly than it has been. It just rests on my shoulders, perhaps a little bit past when it's dry. *sigh*

dulce
October 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I also am a curly,it seemed to take forever for me to get to from pixie to shoulders,then shoulders to APL ,the curls ate up the length but after APL, the weight of longer hair helps so to see the growth pull it straight ,that'll reassure you it is growing.Unfortunately us curlies have to wait longer to see the growth.

Shicurls
October 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I watched the YT video that the curly girl did from Britain (it's a couple pages back) and I love the fact that I'm not the only one who does her hair similarly to me! HAHA! I love my cones and washing almost everyday, and I love layers and I love doing deep treatments! What a relief. I thought for a second that I was doing something wrong because I don't always follow the "good hair" rules. Of course, I do go back and forth and I am starting to think that that is just fine!

jaine
October 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I set out to do a proper hair-typing picture but it was taking soooooooo long to dry and I wanted so badly to rest my head against something and relax, so I gave up on hair typing for now. But after an hour when I combed it out, I had loose spirals all over ranging from 0.75" - 1.5" wide. That seems like enough to convince me 2c is the right hair type.

I don't know where people find the patience for drying their hair loose without touching it or leaning against anything!

RainbowHawk
October 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM
How are spirals *not* in the 3-range?

jaine
October 20th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure...I thought all waves were spirals, it's just the wavelength and diameter that makes it a 2 or 3? But I don't remember where I got that idea...
mine were 1-3" wavelength (vertical height of one loop) and 0.75-1.5" diameter (horizontal width). They were still pretty wet when I gave up. The roots were not spirally.

jaine
October 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM
also I think I think I have a mental block against typing myself in the 3's. I've been drying my hair in a braid or bun since preschool, so I'm used to seeing it wavy and I think of myself as a wavy-haired person.
2c is like chameleon hair that can be wavy or curly depending on how it's dried...that's my hair.
3a hair is curly...2c hair is just willing to be styled curly....right? :)

RainbowHawk
October 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I don't know, I've never had any doubts about my hair being curly, despite the fact that it's very easily straightened with very little effort. :shrug:

cmg
October 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I don't know where people find the patience for drying their hair loose without touching it or leaning against anything!
Ha ha, me neither.

I think your hair is just messing with you. :poot::D

Oh, and I can easily straighten my hair too. For a couple of minutes...

dRummie
October 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure...I thought all waves were spirals, it's just the wavelength and diameter that makes it a 2 or 3? But I don't remember where I got that idea...
mine were 1-3" wavelength (vertical height of one loop) and 0.75-1.5" diameter (horizontal width). They were still pretty wet when I gave up. The roots were not spirally.I stumbled upon a thread somewhere in which a ton of people agreed that if you pile a strand of hair on your palm, wavies will fold back and forth, whereas curlies will fold into a circle. I thought this was really weird, since I also thought waves were just stretched out spirals, but it was a lot of people.. wish I could remember where that thread was :shrug:

Now that the weather is drier here I'm losing all my wurliness. It's nice to be able to comb it without going crazy puffy (a day or two after washing), but now even air drying there's not a spiral in sight :(

jaine
October 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I think a wave is still a three-dimensional but very loose spiral... that falls into a non-spiral pattern in the hand, since the wavelength & diameter are too big and loose to counteract its weight.

OK...so my hair forms circles .... but .... BUT...I still call it 2c.
When I image-google "2c hair" I see a lot of pictures of how my curl pattern looks when it gets rained on (which pretty much undoes whatever I did to style it).

When I image-google "3a hair" ... I see a lot of very uniform curls that start closer to the root than mine and are smaller in diameter with a smaller wavelength than mine. Maybe I have one or two 3a clumps on my head....those form sausage ringlets ...sometimes, if the weather is right. Sometimes not. I still think I'm 2c especially considering how limp the waves get in the winter and how dependent it is on the weather, how big the diameter is on my spirals, etc.

RainbowHawk
October 21st, 2011, 08:20 AM
It sounds to me as though you have 3a hair that's limp and "poorly behaved" rather than actual 2c hair. :shrug: Could just be me, though. I gather there's a fear of up-typing here or some such. I might try to take a picture of my hair air-dryed with no manipulation over the weekend. Maybe I'll be surprised, but I'm still pretty damn sure it's curly despite the fact that all it takes is a ponytail and a smooth bun to make it straight.

I still can't get pictures to upload here, though. Meh. I can't tell if I'm doing it incorrectly or if the uploader just doesn't like me. :p

GRU
October 21st, 2011, 09:48 AM
I still can't get pictures to upload here, though. Meh. I can't tell if I'm doing it incorrectly or if the uploader just doesn't like me. :p

Just upload to PhotoBucket and post the IMG tag here... way simpler! :D

classielassie
October 21st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hello! I'm a terrible lurker and rarely post, but I wanted to drop in and say hello to all the Curlies & Wurlies!

I have been wearing my hair up, a lot lately (practically daily for the last 18 months-ish) and recently started to get some stress related headaches and having bunned hair was not helping. And all that wet bunning was wrecking my curl pattern.

My braid skills are the complete opposite of awesome, and I tend to play with the tassle when I do braid.

I recently dug out my old copy of Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey and thought I'd give it another shot.
I've already cut silicones out of my products (except for rare/special occasion use).

I made up a new batch of Flax Seed Gel last night.
Now, I just have to find a compatible defining/hard hold gel to go on top, so I can rock this curly thing again.

Now that my hair has grown out a bit more, hopefully, I will look more like a girl from a Rennaisance painting than a Mario brothers toadstool.

GRU
October 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Now that my hair has grown out a bit more, hopefully, I will look more like a girl from a Rennaisance painting than a Mario brothers toadstool.

Why, I have no idea what you're talking about (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/brillohead.jpg).... :lol:

RainbowHawk
October 21st, 2011, 11:33 AM
Fresh out of the shower: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67917528@N07/6183233388/

Stretched for length: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67917528@N07/6183236526/in/photostream/

Up do with my favorite clippy-thing, mostly to make sure I'm doing this right: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67917528@N07/6182721753/in/photostream/

RainbowHawk
October 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM
Fresh out of the shower: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67917528@N07/6183233388/in/photostream/

Stretched for length: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67917528@N07/6183236526/in/photostream/

Up-do in my favorite clippy thing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67917528@N07/6182721753/in/photostream/

RainbowHawk
October 21st, 2011, 11:38 AM
Nope, I'm still missing something. :p *lol*

GRU
October 21st, 2011, 12:18 PM
Nope, I'm still missing something. :p *lol*

Flickr doesn't let you have the URL to the picture itself, just to the Flickr page that the photo is on. That's one of the reasons I prefer Photobucket.... I can get the direct-link to embed the photo in my posts.

cmg
October 21st, 2011, 12:24 PM
I can see the pictures in your first post :)

RainbowHawk
October 21st, 2011, 12:39 PM
I can see the pictures in your first post :)

Progress!

Good to know, GRU. :D I shall mess with it later.

RainbowHawk
October 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Typing photos, not so great quality but air dried, no products, no touching: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67917528@N07/6269627198/in/set-72157627951873152/

To be honest, these pictures say 2c/3a to me, with a handful of 3b spirals closer to the front of my head. I don't think they're terribly representative of my actual curl pattern, probably due to the low relative humidity. Then again, maybe my hair is actually getting longer and starting to stretch itself out. It's very very fine, and you can see how terribly frizzy it becomes when I don't comb it after a shower. :o This is not a hairstyle which gives me confidence to leave the house, I'll say that. :p And now I'm off to wet it down and comb it out like a real person. :D

GRU
October 22nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
I'd put you at a solid 3b, RainbowHawk.... I tend to type based on curl tightness rather than on whether it spirals or not. Depending on the way my hair is feeling and the way the planets are lined up on any given day, I may have S-waves or spirals or both, but I don't think ANYone would ever classify me as a 2c at all! :lol:

RainbowHawk
October 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
That's just it-- in real life, it is very rare for someone to assume that my natural hair isn't decidedly curly, and the diameter is, without interference (aside from combing it!) pretty solidly the entire 3b range. :) I do have to play with it a bit to make sure it spirals instead of doing that semi-flat wavy thing it's doing in the pictures, but that just means running my fingers through it and very gently massaging my scalp to kind of wake the curls up. :p Even given how dry the air feels, I was surprised at how flat and blechy my curls looked in those pictures. :/ I'm soaking them in conditioner as we speak. I'm sure part of it was the fact that I took the pictures with my webcam, but *bleh*. I'll take some 'down-day' pictures when I finish my deep treatment, the curls should be a lot prettier then. At least I hope they will. :p

Winter is definitely coming, and my curls seem unhappy about it. :/ What to do, what to do. . .

jaine
October 22nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
I agree with 3b!

Here is an example of what I would classify as 2c....loose curls mixed with waves
[http://www.soaps.com/images/news/684_2_12319.jpg

CurlyMopTop
October 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'd say a solid 3b too! :D

milk
October 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
Could someone please help me with my hair typing? Unfortunately, due to previous damaging my hair can't curl all the way, only in some parts of the hair. So it's somewhat hard to see my natural pattern. But I would be really greatful if you could help me anyway. Here's two pictures where my hair is airdried.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8852&pictureid=115797

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8852&pictureid=115799

Thank you in advance :flower:.

RainbowHawk
October 23rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
I'd say you're a 3b too. :) I've seen my hair do that, after I bleached it platinum blonde it just didn't want to curl anymore. :/ I won't be repeating that one. :o

cmg
October 23rd, 2011, 07:06 PM
I have a lot of these damaged straight areas going on in my hair. I have decided to be really patient and take better care of it now and go natural.

jaine
October 23rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
I had a kind of "f*** it" moment today. I went to the store and bought all the ingredients I normally avoid like the plague .... like SHAMPOO. With (gasp!) coco betaine. And a protein conditioner with (gasp!) wheat protein. And (gasp!!) a SILICONE serum. With (gasp!!!!!) a "fragrance" ingredient.

My hair was shampooed - twice, conditioned, slathered in silicone, and then damp-bunned. It feels amaaaaaaaazing!! Soft and smooth and not a bit tangled.

Kinamon
October 23rd, 2011, 08:02 PM
Hi. I'm new to the forum but I'm definitely the wurly curly type. Can someone help me with the "never brush while dry" thing - sometimes i can't help it, I need to brush! If you don't want to shampoo every day, and you don't want to brush while dry - what in the world do you do? When I do put a paddle brush through my hair, I feel like it's greasy and dirty. The sebum in my hair makes it stand out - which I like, but I don't like feeling dirty.

When it's dry and looking good, I can't even run my fingers through my hair - is this normal? I'm making up for a lifetime of hair straightening, so I need some advice...

jaine
October 23rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hi. I'm new to the forum but I'm definitely the wurly curly type. Can someone help me with the "never brush while dry" thing - sometimes i can't help it, I need to brush! If you don't want to shampoo every day, and you don't want to brush while dry - what in the world do you do? When I do put a paddle brush through my hair, I feel like it's greasy and dirty. The sebum in my hair makes it stand out - which I like, but I don't like feeling dirty.

When it's dry and looking good, I can't even run my fingers through my hair - is this normal? I'm making up for a lifetime of hair straightening, so I need some advice...

I know what you mean...I'm a complete brushaholic. I just dry my hair in a bun to make my curls looser so that it can be brushed. It's still poofy when I brush it, but it feels so nice!!
If I want to wear it curly it's pretty easy to get it curly again by spraying it with a misting bottle and scrunching some gel into it...but that usually only lasts a few hours before I get the urge to brush!! So I brush it to my heart's content, maybe spray some more water on it when I'm done, and put it back in a bun to dry.

milk
October 24th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I'd say you're a 3b too. :) I've seen my hair do that, after I bleached it platinum blonde it just didn't want to curl anymore. :/ I won't be repeating that one. :o

Thank you for your help! I pray that my hair will look like yours when all the damages is grown out, soooo pretty!

I've been taking serious care of my hair since half a year now, but it's still stick straight, so I guess those parts will never curl up. I'll just have to wait until it is all grown out, that will take forever, but I'll just keep experimenting with braiding curls until then.

cmg
October 24th, 2011, 04:27 PM
My hair was shampooed - twice, conditioned, slathered in silicone, and then damp-bunned. It feels amaaaaaaaazing!! Soft and smooth and not a bit tangled.
GRRR. Go ahead then and have a great hairday. Traitor! :steam
:D Just kidding

Welcome to the LHC Kinamon! I think this is normal for some curlies/wurlies, especially when it comes to the ends. It might get better with more agreeable conditioners or leave-ins. Have you tried the SMT? That helped me a lot after I quit straightening. Look up the articles section here on LHC, there are some really great tips and methods!

I've been taking serious care of my hair since half a year now, but it's still stick straight, so I guess those parts will never curl up. I'll just have to wait until it is all grown out, that will take forever, but I'll just keep experimenting with braiding curls until then.
I can only say from experience of my hair that it may get better on some of those straight parts. You may have to cut some to even out the ends. And after a while they sorta blend in somewhat. But this takes some extensive pampering and deep treatments. Lots of moisture. Very careful washing and treating it afterwards EVERY TIME. This I have a problem with, because my lifestyle is very busy. :cool: It will take at least six months before you see a positive change that makes it possible to style evenly again, but it will be worth it! Stay on it!

jaine
October 24th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Haha!
Yay ... this is the routine that I liked before I found LHC or naturallycurly.com...coco betaine shampoo, conditioner, coney shine serum, and damp-bunning. Now I remember why I did that. I'm sure I'll run into questions with this routine eventually though ... it's been years since I used cones and it probably comes with its own problems.

Hotrox
October 24th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Haha!
Yay ... this is the routine that I liked before I found LHC or naturallycurly.com...coco betaine shampoo, conditioner, coney shine serum, and damp-bunning. Now I remember why I did that. I'm sure I'll run into questions with this routine eventually though ... it's been years since I used cones and it probably comes with its own problems.

Hey Jaine, which coco betaine shampoo do you use? This kind of routine also gives me light waves, shine and minimal frizz. I'm thinking of returning to a more 'mainstream' hair care techniques but still want to use a Low/SLS free poo! Thanks

CurlyMopTop
October 25th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Jaine, you just described the routine that I've been using for the past several weeks! Haha.... Because cones build up in my hair so quickly.......I bought Vo5 clarifying shampoo too! :O. :D

emelnd
October 25th, 2011, 10:01 AM

I have the same problem with brushing. I am spraying my hair with Kimberlily's defrizz spray and comb with a wide toothed comb in the morning, then maybe scrunch or shake my hair from the roots a little. This takes some of the waves / spirals out though not as much as brushing would.

TrudieCat
October 25th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Wait, what's so bad about coco betaine poo? I thought that qualified as CG and everything.... I love coco betaine poos!

jaine
October 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I used to avoid coco betaine because I thought I was getting skin irritation from it...but my skin seems fine at the moment.
(Ok, actually, no... I had a huge zit on my chest ...and one on my back... but that might be that I got "glutened" this week at a restaurant...)

I'm using Desert Essence shampoo, I found it at Whole Foods and I thought it smelled nice so I got it. Apparently they have changed their formula to remove parabens since I last used this brand...that's nice!

CurlyMopTop
October 25th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I have the Raspberry Dessert Essence Shampoo that I've used a couple of times. The stuff smells absolutely heavenly! I'm a bit of a product junkie and like to switch things up every time I wash. :D One of these days I'd like to give the condish a try.

Hotrox
October 25th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm using Desert Essence shampoo, I found it at Whole Foods and I thought it smelled nice so I got it. Apparently they have changed their formula to remove parabens since I last used this brand...that's nice!

Thanks Jaine, I'll keep an eye open for that. Maybe I can track in down in Hong kong..... :)

Inching Along
October 25th, 2011, 10:43 PM
So I posted on the wavy and wurly thread, but maybe I belong here, too? I just don't know, LOL! Here's a pic, though I don't have my latest hair, which seems very happy and quite curly. I must be doing something right. :) (I've been using some techniques from Curly Girl / Live Curly Live Free and also from Grow Hair Fast.

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/houseofhoff/InchbyInch_9-30-11_sm.jpg

Athena's Owl
October 26th, 2011, 02:22 PM
So after looking at that video with the english girl with really curly hair, I decided to try some mousse i had laying about.

I washed with my cheap conditioners, then a second wash with my gluten free shampoo (really gentle surfactants in it, gentler even than cocopromidyl betaine) then covered the length in Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and put it up while i washed and etc. Detangled, rinsed thoroughly, then used my gluten free leave in conditioner, boots curl creme, and giovanni natural mousse air turbo charged.

HOLY SMOKES. i tossed and turned in bed so I have a lot of movement frizz but the curls are goofy. i pulled out individual locks to trim them to get rid of some of the taper, but the curls were incredible, very springy and tight. I think I'm going to keep trying this. :)

ETA: The only problem? it feels dry. i'm just used to my hair feeling silky and looking really, really shiny. maybe I should oil it while it's wet - I didn't have any gel crunch to scrunch and so I didn't oil my hands up to scrunch the gel hold out.

RainbowHawk
October 26th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Thank you for your help! I pray that my hair will look like yours when all the damages is grown out, soooo pretty!

:blush: Thanks. :) I'm just hoping mine will g.r.o.w., it feels like it's taking forever. Of course, being curly it takes two or three inches of growth for me to feel like I've got one. :/

C.H.
October 29th, 2011, 08:35 AM
So after looking at that video with the english girl with really curly hair, I decided to try some mousse i had laying about.

I washed with my cheap conditioners, then a second wash with my gluten free shampoo (really gentle surfactants in it, gentler even than cocopromidyl betaine) then covered the length in Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and put it up while i washed and etc. Detangled, rinsed thoroughly, then used my gluten free leave in conditioner, boots curl creme, and giovanni natural mousse air turbo charged.

HOLY SMOKES. i tossed and turned in bed so I have a lot of movement frizz but the curls are goofy. i pulled out individual locks to trim them to get rid of some of the taper, but the curls were incredible, very springy and tight. I think I'm going to keep trying this. :)

ETA: The only problem? it feels dry. i'm just used to my hair feeling silky and looking really, really shiny. maybe I should oil it while it's wet - I didn't have any gel crunch to scrunch and so I didn't oil my hands up to scrunch the gel hold out.

Yeah, she had me tempted to try mousse as I could use some more volume. But I have some weird aversion to it. I don't even know what that's about.

jaine
October 29th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Is it normal for hair to feel oily sooner when you're using cones?
It's been so long since I used them, I have no idea if that's normal. After my 2nd wash, my hair felt oily after 2 days instead of 4.
But that's OK, I am loving my new coney routine. :crush:
It makes my hair act as if it's 2a, with no tangles and lots of shine. That's EXACTLY what I wanted.

Theobroma
October 29th, 2011, 09:59 AM
It's been so long since I used them, I have no idea if that's normal.

If I remember correctly (and cones were an awfully long time ago for me as well) they made my hair feel coated. Which I suppose might translate as a greasy sort of feeling. It's why I gave them up!

I'm glad they're working for you, though. Any routine that gives the desired results is a good routine!

longcurlygirl<3
October 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM

What shampoo you say is so gentle? And also what is the leave-in you talked about that is gluten free? Also where could I buy them.

Kinamon
October 29th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Welcome to the LHC Kinamon! I think this is normal for some curlies/wurlies, especially when it comes to the ends. It might get better with more agreeable conditioners or leave-ins. Have you tried the SMT? That helped me a lot after I quit straightening. Look up the articles section here on LHC, there are some really great tips and methods!

!
Thanks for the welcome - and for validating that this is normal (phew!) I don't know what SMT is, but I'm going to look it up. :) At least I can say that I'm no-poo for over a year and counting. :)

Kinamon
October 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I have the same problem with brushing. I am spraying my hair with Kimberlily's defrizz spray and comb with a wide toothed comb in the morning, then maybe scrunch or shake my hair from the roots a little. This takes some of the waves / spirals out though not as much as brushing would.

So - how often do you have to wash your hair, if you add product to it? I've found that the more stuff I add, the harder it is to allow at least 48 hours to go by without shampooing again - and I've heard that's bad for your hair. On the other hand, not having any product in my hair is not fun. :(

Athena's Owl
October 29th, 2011, 02:44 PM
What shampoo you say is so gentle? And also what is the leave-in you talked about that is gluten free? Also where could I buy them.

both of the brands that I use for this are made in Canada, alas.

Green Beaver gluten free shampoo (http://www.greenbeaver.com/gluten-free-shampoo.html)

Green Beaver gluten free conditoner (http://www.greenbeaver.com/hair/conditioner/gluten-free-conditionner.html)

LadyJennifer
October 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
both of the brands that I use for this are made in Canada, alas.

Green Beaver gluten free shampoo (http://www.greenbeaver.com/gluten-free-shampoo.html)

Green Beaver gluten free conditoner (http://www.greenbeaver.com/hair/conditioner/gluten-free-conditionner.html)

So what is the goodness of gluten free shampoo and condish? Is some hair gluten intolerant?

jaine
October 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I have a food sensitivity to gluten - but I only get symptoms if I eat it. gluten-free shampoo/conditioner is probably designed for people who are even more sensitive to it than I am. I don't think the hair would care one way or another, though.

cmg
October 30th, 2011, 01:37 PM
It's been so long since I used them, I have no idea if that's normal. After my 2nd wash, my hair felt oily after 2 days instead of 4.
But that's OK, I am loving my new coney routine.
It makes my hair act as if it's 2a, with no tangles and lots of shine. That's EXACTLY what I wanted.
It feels a little oilier for me too. I get stringy as well as glossy on the head area. And also, the curl-bumps on the head area get somewhat relaxed or nearly flat if I comb them (on day one at least). I can see this on older photos from when I was still using cones. And after some time the ends get very frizzy and entangled. This is way better without cones. I remember trying "everything" and putting lots of silicone serum on the ends all the time. Uarrgh. Not any more for me. Done with that.

Thanks for the welcome - and for validating that this is normal (phew!) I don't know what SMT is, but I'm going to look it up. At least I can say that I'm no-poo for over a year and counting.
Same here!

I dont believe gluten free hair products are designed for people with gluten intolerance (celiaki). You have this in your intestines, not on your skin. They are probably designed for people with wheat-allergy or similar, which is a totally different thing.

RainbowHawk
October 30th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I dont believe gluten free hair products are designed for people with gluten intolerance (celiaki). You have this in your intestines, not on your skin. They are probably designed for people with wheat-allergy or similar, which is a totally different thing.

Indeed, wheat allergies are different from Celiac disease. My son has a wheat allergy, he breaks out in hives if he gets wheat on his skin, and who knows what would happen if he got something like that in his eyes or his mouth. :( Blech.

Athena's Owl
October 31st, 2011, 08:32 AM
So what is the goodness of gluten free shampoo and condish? Is some hair gluten intolerant?

Hair? Well I avoid using protein on my hair and the most common proteins in hair products are derived from wheat...So you might be onto something! :)

Okay, but seriously: my doctor recommended that I test avoiding gluten in skincare products and cosmetics. Part of that was buying Gluten free shampoo and conditioner. We wanted to see if my headaches would get better if I went to gluten free skin and haircare (I wound up having to hand-mix my own toothpaste, because I couldn't find any that were labeled gluten free. they might be GF anyway, but no label means you can't be 100% certain.)

It didn't change anything about my headaches, so it's unlikely that I am that sensitive to gluten. But since those tiny bottles were ten bucks a pop, the products smell good, and there's still some left over, I'm still using them - and i'll probably use the GF shampoo from now on because it smells great and works quite effectively.

longcurlygirl<3
November 5th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Hey ladies I was wondering if this mousse is bad?
It's pantene curly mousse.
http://www.pantene.com/en-US/hair-care-products/product/curly-hair-mousse.aspx
I do not know if the ingredients are bad. It is drying on my freshly washed hair.

Athena's Owl
November 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Water, Isobutane, POLYQUATERNIUM-4, Propane, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, C9-11 PARETH-8, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid.

ISOBUTANE AND PROPANE? ON MY HAIR? ACK NO

cmg
November 5th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Hair mousses are difficult products. Not easy to find ones that are free of alcohols and other icky stuffs. I've been searching for ages. I'm stuck with flax seed or psyllium gel at the moment. :cool:

GRU
November 7th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Water, Isobutane, POLYQUATERNIUM-4, Propane, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, C9-11 PARETH-8, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid.

ISOBUTANE AND PROPANE? ON MY HAIR? ACK NO

Propane is used as a propellant, to get the product out of the bottle (same as in spray antiperspirant/deodorant). When out of the pressurized container, it is a colorless, odorless gas that dissipates into the environment. (This is why all aerosol cans are flammable.)

I believe that the isobutane is also there as a propellant, but I don't have any particular education on that product (I used to work at a propane company is how I know about the propane).

Athena's Owl
November 7th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Okay, but the idea of putting vehicle fuel anywhere near my hair is really really scary. *shivers*

the mousse i tried a couple weeks back was one of those ones that makes the foam as a function of the pump, like those soap dispensers in public washrooms. it was drying too. I loved the body and I loved the spring I got on my curls (you remember those days when we despaired of how our hair scrunched up shorter as it dried?) but drying as wow.

here's the ingredients:

AQUEOUS (WATER) EXTRACTS OF ROSMARY (ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS) OIL, NETTLE (URTICADIOICA) OIL, THYME (THYMUS VULGARIS) OIL, BIRCH LEAF (BUTELA ALBA) OIL, CHAMOMILE (ANTHEMIS NOBILUS FLOWER) OIL, CLARY (SALVIA SCLAREA), LAVENDER (LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA), COLTSFOOT LEAF (TUSSILAGO FARFARA), YARROW (ACHILLEA MILLE-FOLIUM) OIL, MALLOW (MALVA SYLVESTRIS), HORSETAIL (EQUISTETUM ARVENSE) OIL, PVP/VA COPOLYMER, SOYBEAN PROTEIN (GLYCINE CITRIC ACID (COM), SODIUM HYDROXYMETHYLGLYCINATE, GRAPEFRUIT SEED (CITRUS DERIVED).

It might be my hair throwing a fit over the protein (yes it's that picky) but i'm determined to figure a way to keep using this mousse.

ETA: note that all those fantastic essential oils are listed as "Aqueous extracts of blah blah blah blah," so read that as water, pvp/va copolymer, soybean protein, preservative, grapefruit seed oil, and THEN all those EOs.

Kelikea
November 8th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I'm wondering about this ingredient: pvp/va copolymer
Is this some sort of plastic and will it cause a build-up on your hair?
I've been trying to avoid it because the name reminds me of pvc pipe, but its in everything...well, almost :)

moon2dove
November 8th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'm wondering about this ingredient: pvp/va copolymer
Is this some sort of plastic and will it cause a build-up on your hair?
I've been trying to avoid it because the name reminds me of pvc pipe, but its in everything...well, almost :)

PVP/VA Copolymer is a faint yellow solid derived from petroleum.

Used in : Styling aids, hair sprays, mascara, eyeliner, shampoos, conditioners.

You can buy products without this 'ingredient.
The site I got the above information from is called: btrue naturals.com
Hope this helps :D

jaine
November 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM
My silicone experiment has ended ... it started to give me acne on my back, even though I washed my back after rinsing my hair. I can't tell if my skin was reacting to the silicone or to the stronger surfactants that I was using to remove silicone... but either way, they go together, so if I can't use one then I can't use the other. Bummer!

Anyway, at the moment I'm productless. Does anyone know of a product that I could use for damp-bunning ... I need hold so that my curly baby hairs won't escape, but I don't want my hair to feel "grabby" afterwards like it does with my hard-hold gel, I want it to feel soft and silky and slippery. But no cones. And since I have sensitive skin, no parabens and no "fragrance" ingredient (essential oils are OK, but I just don't like to see the word "fragrance" on the label because that could be literally anything and usually includes skin irritants). Does it exist??

GRU
November 8th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Anyway, at the moment I'm productless. Does anyone know of a product that I could use for damp-bunning ... I need hold so that my curly baby hairs won't escape, but I don't want my hair to feel "grabby" afterwards like it does with my hard-hold gel, I want it to feel soft and silky and slippery. But no cones. And since I have sensitive skin, no parabens and no "fragrance" ingredient (essential oils are OK, but I just don't like to see the word "fragrance" on the label because that could be literally anything and usually includes skin irritants). Does it exist??

Have you tried Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel? I hate the "hard helmet" feel of gel, but the aloe is much "softer" when dry, while still giving some hold.

C.H.
November 9th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I keep wanting to go curly again. But since I started doing Krav Maga (self-defense training) about 6 weeks ago, I just don't know if it can work. it's so strenuous and high contact and I sweat like mad--I don't see how I can prevent it from turning my curls into a fuzzy matted mess. It's a challenge for my hair even when it's not curly. On the other hand, I love Krav so much, and I hate to think that it and my natural curls are mutually exclusive. I guess there's no way to know, but to try it out! I've just been hesitant to invest the time and effort into creating nice looking curls only to turn right around and ruin them. But I miss them! Dilemmas.

Theobroma
November 9th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Have you tried Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel? I hate the "hard helmet" feel of gel, but the aloe is much "softer" when dry, while still giving some hold.

I second the aloe vera gel. And I find that the stiff feel of it can be much improved by mixing it with a little coconut oil.

(I scrape up some coconut oil and melt it in the palm of my hand, then squirt some AVG into my palm and mix everything together with a fingertip before applying it to my hair. Works very well for me.)

Theobroma
November 9th, 2011, 03:03 AM
My silicone experiment has ended ... it started to give me acne on my back, even though I washed my back after rinsing my hair. I can't tell if my skin was reacting to the silicone or to the stronger surfactants that I was using to remove silicone... but either way, they go together, so if I can't use one then I can't use the other. Bummer!

Suggestion: wash your hair upside-down in the sink. If you're so happy with what cones do to your hair, that would be an excellent way to get them on your hair but prevent them from getting into contact with your back at all.

GRU
November 9th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I second the aloe vera gel. And I find that the stiff feel of it can be much improved by mixing it with a little coconut oil.

(I scrape up some coconut oil and melt it in the palm of my hand, then squirt some AVG into my palm and mix everything together with a fingertip before applying it to my hair. Works very well for me.)

I actually pre-mixed some AVG and sweet almond oil in a bottle to keep at the ready. :D Works great for calming frizz and keeping the sticky-outies from ruining a sleek-look bun. ;)

Theobroma
November 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I actually pre-mixed some AVG and sweet almond oil in a bottle to keep at the ready. :D Works great for calming frizz and keeping the sticky-outies from ruining a sleek-look bun. ;)

Hmm. I might have to try this with olive oil (for no better reason than that I have it on hand and it doesn't go off as quickly as almond oil). What sort of proportion of AVG to oil did you use? I find that, although my hair seems to be willing to slurp up almost unlimited quantities of oil on its own, I have to be REALLY careful not to overdo the oil in conjunction with AVG or I'll look like a greaseball.

GRU
November 9th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Hmm. I might have to try this with olive oil (for no better reason than that I have it on hand and it doesn't go off as quickly as almond oil). What sort of proportion of AVG to oil did you use? I find that, although my hair seems to be willing to slurp up almost unlimited quantities of oil on its own, I have to be REALLY careful not to overdo the oil in conjunction with AVG or I'll look like a greaseball.

Sorry, I just *splurt* in some AVG and *splurt* in some SAO..... if I had to guess, I'd say maybe 10:1 of AVT to SAO?

cmg
November 9th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I'm so with you there. And the weird feeling as it wobbles around while you actually head for another direction than your hair, ughhh. :D

I actually pre-mixed some AVG and sweet almond oil in a bottle to keep at the ready. Works great for calming frizz and keeping the sticky-outies from ruining a sleek-look bun.
I have tried something similar. How do you make it behave in the bottle? The mix creates layers for me, and I always forget shaking it. Mixed with CO similar problem, I have to keep it on top of the heater or the fridge (in the ventilation grid).

raehysteric
November 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
But then what would you call S-curls?

According to the 1-2-3-4 system, the main difference between 3a, 3b, 3c, and 4a is the size / diameter / radius / tightness of the curve:

3a = sidewalk chalk
3b = Sharpie marker
3c = pencil/straw
4a/b = coffee stirrer

Is someone with 2c really loose spirals "curlier" than someone with 3c S-waves that spiral at the ends?

It's hard to categorize something that has SOOOOOO many available variations, so we just do the best we can.

So true! I have a hard time classifying mine by the general standards. I either get tight S-waves, really tight ringlets that look a lot like rope braids, or curls about sharpie and pencils-sized that can end with wide S-waves. Since it tends to be at least 1/3rd s-curls and the rest ringlets, I tend to throw myself in the 2c/3a category since that seems like it covers just about everything except all tight ringlets and kinkycurly.

I LOVE days where I get two tight curls winding in the opposite direction of each other intertwined. I call them my special double-helix springs. I can't resist gently pulling on them if they are near the front of my face just so I can see and feel that BOING.

I won't say I'm really curly though. I get SO jealous with you see distinct curls in hair videos while still dripping from the shower. My hair looks wavy until its mostly dry and then it curls.

Oddly, if I cut my hair any higher than shoulder length it barely gets past a 1c.

raehysteric
November 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM

I usually use Aloe, Olive oil, Honey and/or glycerin, and Africa's Best Herbal Oil. I get a similiar hold to gel but with loads of softness and non-greasy shine. Then I touch up the bottom 3-4 inches with with Africa's best oil since I find it really light and my ends usually need a lot of help (bleach/dye trauma.) After my hair is completely dry, sometimes I use a mix of oil and aloe if its particularly frizzy or declumping.

I'm still eyeballing the mix as I go each day since I'm still within my first month of trying it out. Generally ends up being a tablespoon or so of aloe, 1 tsp of combined oils, and about 1 tsp for the glycerin/honey.

As for avoiding the greaseball look, it seems like technique makes quite a difference. I cover all but the top 3 inches with the aloe combo, work it in really good and THEN touch my roots with the very small amount of residue leftover on my hands. Then I do just oil on my ends.

cmg
November 9th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I have problems with the classification also. When my hair is short, its afro type and thats it. When its chinlength it gets sleeker and more damaged and the demise starts with ruining the curls. If not treated after washing, it looks like someone scared me! :cool: Well, thats how it has been in the past. The diameters in the locks are not even at all. I put myself in the 3c or perhaps 3b regardless of lock diameter, because it differs so much depending on how healthy it is. I guess its more even in appearance, when longer.

I LOVE days where I get two tight curls winding in the opposite direction of each other intertwined. I call them my special double-helix springs. I can't resist gently pulling on them if they are near the front of my face just so I can see and feel that BOING.
OMG I so remember this from when I kept it long during my twenties! As soon anything was going on, I played with it so it sproinged back :) I so miss the sproing :(

cmg
November 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM
raehysteric: Have you tried glycerine or the other stuffs you wrote about in a spray after the hair has dried? I have tried this with mixed results. I shall try it the way you described and see if this works better for me.

GRU
November 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I have tried something similar. How do you make it behave in the bottle? The mix creates layers for me, and I always forget shaking it. Mixed with CO similar problem, I have to keep it on top of the heater or the fridge (in the ventilation grid).

My aloe and sweet almond oil mixed together pretty well just from shaking, and it seems to stay suspended just fine. But then it sounds like you're using a lot more oil than I am proportionally, so it might just be a quantity thing.

cmg
November 9th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Yes, thats possible.

Theobroma
November 10th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Sorry, I just *splurt* in some AVG and *splurt* in some SAO..... if I had to guess, I'd say maybe 10:1 of AVT to SAO?

No worries; I just *splurt* as well! But the size of your *splurts* seems to be about the same as mine, so this was still helpful. Thanks!

Kelikea
November 10th, 2011, 05:01 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=117326&albumid=8987&dl=1319761298&thumb=1 This is my hair wet
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=118425&albumid=8987&dl=1320806577&thumb=1 This is my hair dry and brushed at the end of the day Nov. 8 2011. My avatar is dry, combed, and water spritzed from July 2011
Just wondering what this would fall under for hair typing. I either CO or use BS/ACV.

GRU
November 10th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Just wondering what this would fall under for hair typing. I either CO or use BS/ACV.

For hair typing, you need to let your hair air dry with no manipulation (fingercombing, brushing, etc.) and no products in it. Wet hair and brushed hair are not necessarily indicative of actual hair type. A larger picture to show the size/configuration of your dry curls will also help, as the curl diameter is a factor used in hair typing.

moon2dove
November 10th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Please can anyone tell me what hair type I am. My profile picture is my curls just drying with no manipulation.

Thank you :)

emelnd
November 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM
For hair typing, you need to let your hair air dry with no manipulation (fingercombing, brushing, etc.) and no products in it. Wet hair and brushed hair are not necessarily indicative of actual hair type. A larger picture to show the size/configuration of your dry curls will also help, as the curl diameter is a factor used in hair typing.

My hair will be one tangly mess, but I will try it at some point. Do you have to wash with shampoo or co-wash? I think no product means no leave in conditioner, am I right?

emelnd
November 10th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Moon2dove, it looks 3a to me but what do I know...

raehysteric
November 10th, 2011, 05:21 PM
raehysteric: Have you tried glycerine or the other stuffs you wrote about in a spray after the hair has dried? I have tried this with mixed results. I shall try it the way you described and see if this works better for me.

Yep. I use that in a spray bottle for second/third day hair if I have some particularly bad bedhair. Aloe, distilled water, oil, and glycerine. I get some pretty mixed results with it too, but it looks better than what I woke up with. I suspect I'm not always remembering to shake up the spray bottle thoroughly. Even with that, sometimes I put a small amount of the aloe blend (gel style) on the lower half for extra hold.

Despite using a satin scarf, pineappling, and satin pillows, my hair usually (7 times out of 10) ends up smooshed and completely out of shape. Worked down on the frizz with my newer mixtures at least.

jaine
November 10th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Please can anyone tell me what hair type I am. My profile picture is my curls just drying with no manipulation.

Thank you :)

It's hard to tell without seeing all of your hair. It's either 2c (if you have a few random curls like that mixed with waves) or 3a (if it's curly like that all over your head).

GRU
November 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM
My hair will be one tangly mess, but I will try it at some point. Do you have to wash with shampoo or co-wash? I think no product means no leave in conditioner, am I right?

If it doesn't have any product in it, you can just wet it down... but I can't wet my hair w/o also using conditioner to detangle it, or I'd end up with one big huge dread on my head! (I only use shampoo once a year, it gets clean enough with just CO-washing.)

And "no product" means no leave-in anything -- no conditioners, gels, mousse, serum, hairspray, pomade, oil, wax, etc.

C.H.
November 10th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Tailbone. I'm calling it. Woot.

Long_Curls
November 11th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Awesome curls everyone!

Kelikea
November 11th, 2011, 04:45 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=117326&albumid=8987&dl=1319761298&thumb=1 This is my hair wet
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=118425&albumid=8987&dl=1320806577&thumb=1 This is my hair dry and brushed at the end of the day Nov. 8 2011. My avatar is dry, combed, and water spritzed from July 2011

This is my hair with no product. It doesn't really look different left alone or brushed out. The top picture shows it almost dry with no manipulation, but the curl never stays that tight through the day or even a few hours, hence the bottom picture from the end of the day.

lapushka
November 11th, 2011, 08:36 AM
This is my hair with no product. It doesn't really look different left alone or brushed out. The top picture shows it almost dry with no manipulation, but the curl never stays that tight through the day or even a few hours, hence the bottom picture from the end of the day.

I'd say you typed it correctly.

Copasetic
November 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM

So jealous! Congratulations :cheese:

moon2dove
November 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Moon2dove, it looks 3a to me but what do I know...

Thank you :D

moon2dove
November 11th, 2011, 09:54 AM
It's hard to tell without seeing all of your hair. It's either 2c (if you have a few random curls like that mixed with waves) or 3a (if it's curly like that all over your head).

Ahh! right.. I think maybe i'm more 2c My hair has ringlets and waves.
Thank you :D

emelnd
November 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Congratulations!

C.H.
November 11th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Thank you emelnd and Copasetic. I wasn't prepared to make a whole thread about it, but someone needs to know! Thanks to LHC it's just now becoming clear to me that my hair grows rather fast. I had *no* idea.

lynnala
November 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hiya Wurly Curlies! :waving: I'm not one of you, I'm in thin, flat-hair land. But my niece, who has just moved here has very thick, very curly hair and of course she hates it. I know she's doing everything wrong with it. She at least stopped brushing, but it's still a big frizzy gob of hair! I want to give her advice. I know there are endless variations on curly haircare, but are there any real basics that you all sort of agree on? Shampoo? Conditioner? Oils? I know she'd have beautiful ringlets if she just treated her hair right. And yes, I've tried to get her to join LHC, but she never gets around to it. Thanks for any tips!

starshade
November 12th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Hello all you fellow curlies :waving:
I'm new on LHC and also only recently discovered the naturally curly website, so my curls are finally starting to look the way I like! As a newbie I've classified myself as a 3a, could someone more experienced at this tell me if that's right?
Thanks in advance :)

Kelikea
November 12th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Hello all you fellow curlies :waving:
I'm new on LHC and also only recently discovered the naturally curly website, so my curls are finally starting to look the way I like! As a newbie I've classified myself as a 3a, could someone more experienced at this tell me if that's right?
Thanks in advance :)

3a looks about right to me. Your hair is very pretty and shiny.

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hello lynnala from the thin, flat-hair land! I'm sure its very beautiful there too. :waving: Your niece has probably stayed in the "ugghh it doesn't matter what I do & it never dries and always frizzez & I can't be bothered-valley for too long. Perhaps you should show her the beautiful mountains of SMT? The results on a previously untreated hair can be very convincing! And the rest is up to her. Getting rid of cones ans SLES could be the next step, but she probably relied on them for very long, and weanig off is not easy. Showing pictures of people here on LHC can boost the morals and patience :)

milk
November 12th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Cassia treatment brought out some curlies! I'm gonna try to henndigo my hair tomorrow so I made a pre-treatment with cassia. The cassia really made my hair feel yucky, when wet and damp it almost felt like I had chewing gum in my whole hair. So I made a aloe/evoo treatment right after but that didn't help. Now when it is dry it feels like really hard hay, not nice at all. BUT, there is a real big but here, it also made my hair a lot curlier than it has been for years and years. I just wanted to share my cutest two curlies I found in the front of my hair, I looooove them :happydance:.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8297/loccck.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/loccck.jpg/)

I now pray that I will get even more curls in my hair from the henna/indigo/amla coloring I'm doing tomorrow :pray:.

lynnala
November 12th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hello lynnala from the thin, flat-hair land! I'm sure its very beautiful there too. :waving: Your niece has probably stayed in the "ugghh it doesn't matter what I do & it never dries and always frizzez & I can't be bothered-valley for too long. Perhaps you should show her the beautiful mountains of SMT? The results on a previously untreated hair can be very convincing! And the rest is up to her. Getting rid of cones ans SLES could be the next step, but she probably relied on them for very long, and weanig off is not easy. Showing pictures of people here on LHC can boost the morals and patience :)Thanks you cmg! I think the only treatment she's tried is VO5 hot oil. I'll definitely tell her about SMT. What about CO washing? Does that help with curly hair? I can't do it at all or I fall into the beyond-flat-and-greasy valley. Maybe the first step is to get her to clarify?

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Definitively! And for a fresh start on Co washing on hair that tends to get limp on the head, this approach was useful to me: Look for the cheapest worst conditioner that you can find, that has no cones in it. And if it doesnt work, try another one. Let the scalp and roots be the guideline and do other treatments on the lenghts afterwards. Dont forget to clarify first. I did this with baking soda and another time with dishwasher mixed with some aloe vera and cone-free condish. This was about a year ago and I've never looked back.

If it gets troublesome on the scalp: Many people are reacting to benzoates and cones that leave residue. If so, change brand. And when both the unnatural and natural oils are removed the sebum production gets curbed on which may itch some. Few people are really not satisfied with the method at all. I think if you just keep on trying, you will eventually find the method and products that work for you!

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Oh, and in the beginning my hair didnt like to CO-wash with condishes that contained proteins in them. I dont know why, because my hair doesnt really mind proteins today, but back then it made my hair limp.

Copasetic
November 12th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hiya Wurly Curlies! :waving: I'm not one of you, I'm in thin, flat-hair land. But my niece, who has just moved here has very thick, very curly hair and of course she hates it. I know she's doing everything wrong with it. She at least stopped brushing, but it's still a big frizzy gob of hair! I want to give her advice. I know there are endless variations on curly haircare, but are there any real basics that you all sort of agree on? Shampoo? Conditioner? Oils? I know she'd have beautiful ringlets if she just treated her hair right. And yes, I've tried to get her to join LHC, but she never gets around to it. Thanks for any tips!

Almost all curly hair requires a nice rinse out conditioner and a nice leave in conditioner. You would be surprised how many curlies use neither!

lynnala
November 12th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Thank you cmg and copasetic! My niece is very stubborn about trying new things, but I'll break her down eventually! First: clarify. Second: deep conditioning. Third: CO only wash. I have a feeling that will give her so much improvement that she'll be willing to try more!

emelnd
November 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hair typing pictures. Washed with conditioner, finger combed, rinsed out really good, blotted dry with a towel. It was still dripping wet, then air dried with very minimal touching.

Sorry about my hair whorl, my boyfriend was trying to fix it before taking the picture. I hadn't seen it so I told him he is not allowed to touch my hair because it is a hair typing pic. :P Silly me.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee515/emelnd/Picture737-1-1.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee515/emelnd/Picture735-1.jpg

So, what is the verdict? Is 2c/3a correct? Or is it pure 2c?

starshade
November 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
3a looks about right to me. Your hair is very pretty and shiny.

Thank you. I think my hair looks healthier than it really is!
Your hair is a lovely colour. Can't wait to get to your length :)

lapushka
November 13th, 2011, 08:17 AM
So, what is the verdict? Is 2c/3a correct? Or is it pure 2c?

I think the first option is spot on! :)

GRU
November 13th, 2011, 08:40 AM
lynnala -- I'm two years in to my CO-washing routine, and my hair is LOVING IT!!!!

Please let her know that the damaged hair will probably *always* be frizzy and icky until she grows it out, and not to discount the benefits of cone-free CO-washing because of that. I can pinch a tress of hair between my finger and thumb at the roots, and slide down the strands and feel exactly where the change is between "nice-and-smooth CO-washed hair" and "crinkly nasty old shampooed hair". I could feel this difference within a couple months of CO-washing, as the roots that hadn't been exposed to shampoo were obviously smoother than the hair one inch from my scalp.

If I brush my hair out these days (using a Tangle Teezer only!!!), it's still poofy, but not nearly as poofy as it used to be, simply because the hair strands themselves are smoother and they don't crinkle up in as many random directions. I still have about another year-plus to get rid of all my old shampoo damage (I've been maintaining around waist and trimming off damage a couple times a year), but I'm getting there!

getoffmyskittle
November 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Please let her know that the damaged hair will probably *always* be frizzy and icky until she grows it out, and not to discount the benefits of cone-free CO-washing because of that. I can pinch a tress of hair between my finger and thumb at the roots, and slide down the strands and feel exactly where the change is between "nice-and-smooth CO-washed hair" and "crinkly nasty old shampooed hair". I could feel this difference within a couple months of CO-washing, as the roots that hadn't been exposed to shampoo were obviously smoother than the hair one inch from my scalp.

This is my experience too. My pre-LHC hair was essentially unsalvageable. I didn't whack it all off immediately, but it was not even close to as nice as my post-LHC hair.

emelnd
November 13th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I think the first option is spot on! :)

Thank you!

lynnala
November 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM
lynnala -- I'm two years in to my CO-washing routine, and my hair is LOVING IT!!!!

If I brush my hair out these days (using a Tangle Teezer only!!!), it's still poofy, but not nearly as poofy as it used to be, simply because the hair strands themselves are smoother and they don't crinkle up in as many random directions. I still have about another year-plus to get rid of all my old shampoo damage (I've been maintaining around waist and trimming off damage a couple times a year), but I'm getting there!Thank you GRU! You just answered my next question of whether cones worked well for curlies. I'll advise her to go cone-free. I'll let you all know how it goes!

GRU
November 13th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I also highly recommend having her read the Live Curly Live Free website (http://livecurlylivefree.com/). I've not purchased the e-book, but several curly members here have gotten it and highly recommend it. But even without the book, the basic curl care info on the website is invaluable.

cmg
November 13th, 2011, 04:16 PM

If I brush my hair out these days (using a Tangle Teezer only!!!), it's still poofy, but not nearly as poofy as it used to be, simply because the hair strands themselves are smoother and they don't crinkle up in as many random directions. I still have about another year-plus to get rid of all my old shampoo damage (I've been maintaining around waist and trimming off damage a couple times a year), but I'm getting there!
Go girl, go! :thumbsup: I'm in the middle of this process too. It will be at least a year also for me, until the worst parts are gone. You have beautiful hair in your siggy BTW. Really worth the effort of keeping it in shape, so stay on it! Its very similar to the color I've been wearing for the past three years (nowadays just henna, no chemicals!). Mine will never be as full as yours *serious envy factor*

Copasetic
November 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I just discovered the best Tumblr of all time: The Curly Hair problems. http://thecurlyhairproblems.tumblr.com

Enjoy!

cmg
November 13th, 2011, 09:54 PM
That was funny, thanks for posting this link! :D

chelshireling
November 13th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Hello:] im somewhat new to lhc, but somehow never noticed this thread before. such beautiful curls! I may be somewhat biased but i think suoer long like 3c curls is the most incredable hair. my hair is 2c/3a after washing (which i only do once a week) but by the end of the week its flattened out to about 1c anyone else have this? its seems so strange.

emelnd
November 13th, 2011, 10:30 PM
:) I like super long 3c too. I also like super straight long hair though. I actually think I like all kinds of long hair. :)

My hair does not do what you described. Sometimes the crown part will be curly but then flattens out if I lean back on my chair while it dries, but then the crown part doesn't want to be curly in general. I have seen others mention this before.

Theobroma
November 14th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I can pinch a tress of hair between my finger and thumb at the roots, and slide down the strands and feel exactly where the change is between "nice-and-smooth CO-washed hair" and "crinkly nasty old shampooed hair".
[...]
If I brush my hair out these days (using a Tangle Teezer only!!!), it's still poofy, but not nearly as poofy as it used to be, simply because the hair strands themselves are smoother and they don't crinkle up in as many random directions.

I'm a year and a half into CO and I notice the exact same thing. I'm trying to do without AVG on my curls now that the air is so dry, and without gel to stick my hair together while it dries, the canopy does exactly that random crinkly thing along those parts of the length that were exposed to SLeS before I changed my routine. My underlayers are better, possibly because they didn't get the double whammy of shampoo AND blowdrying in the old days. I don't have the sort of clear demarcation between the old hair and the new that you describe, but I can definitely see a difference in how it behaves! Even the curl pattern is weaker on my ends.

moon2dove
November 14th, 2011, 09:50 AM
[quote=chelshireling;1864366]Hello:] im somewhat new to lhc, but somehow never noticed this thread before. such beautiful curls! I may be somewhat biased but i think suoer long like 3c curls is the most incredable hair. my hair is 2c/3a after washing (which i only do once a week) but by the end of the week its flattened out to about 1c anyone else have this? its seems so strange.[/quote

After a couple of days, I find if I twirl my hair with my fingers I can make larger curls. If I bun my hair I find I get frizzy straight-ish hair by the end of the week :confused: Not a good look! But, my hair does look longer:D

cmg
November 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM
my hair is 2c/3a after washing (which i only do once a week) but by the end of the week its flattened out to about 1c anyone else have this? its seems so strange.
I think this could at least partly be explained by the effect of sebum coating the hair. It travels downwards from the scalp. Sebum can be different due to fex hormonal effects or nutritional level etc. and differs during life span. Some people have thicker and some have thinner, more like sweat. So if someone loosens his/her curls this way it is really a natural thing. Any movement or rubbing up against other objects make the hair oil travel, not just brushing deliberately. Perhaps this is more apparent for people with fine hair because it gets weighed down? I can see a tendency to this in my hair. Clumping increases with the sebum or added oils.

Sounds like your hair is really happy doing this. Other people get friss and poof and whatnot instead of a different but acceptable look after a few days without washing.

:) I like super long 3c too. I also like super straight long hair though. I actually think I like all kinds of long hair. :)
I hear you! Did a hair-googling today and there are so many incredibly beautiful hairs out there with all sorts of shapes and textures!

longcurlygirl<3
November 14th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I just discovered the best Tumblr of all time: The Curly Hair problems. http://thecurlyhairproblems.tumblr.com

Enjoy!
Bahaha I couldn't stop laughing at how true all those problems are [Well, mostly before I went cg ;)]

LadyJennifer
November 14th, 2011, 07:16 PM
[quote=chelshireling;1864366]Hello:] im somewhat new to lhc, but somehow never noticed this thread before. such beautiful curls! I may be somewhat biased but i think suoer long like 3c curls is the most incredable hair. my hair is 2c/3a after washing (which i only do once a week) but by the end of the week its flattened out to about 1c anyone else have this? its seems so strange.[/quote

After a couple of days, I find if I twirl my hair with my fingers I can make larger curls. If I bun my hair I find I get frizzy straight-ish hair by the end of the week :confused: Not a good look! But, my hair does look longer:D

Mine does the same type of thing.

Copasetic
November 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Bahaha I couldn't stop laughing at how true all those problems are [Well, mostly before I went cg ;)]

Some of those problems simply won't go away for me! No matter what I do, one side is always curlier than the other.

Shicurls
November 16th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I have decided that in order to have hair that I like (soft, shiny, tangle-free, with body) I have to do a myriad of things. AND I think I'm okay with that....for this moment! :lol:

I just added One 'N Only's Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner from Sally's to the line-up. Actually, I added the curl cream, the mousse, the shine serum and the deep conditioner as well! :)

I don't use them all at once, but I will add a bit of the curl cream for a sausage curl look. I do the mousse for volume, and I will do the shine spray alone when I want a floaty, wavy, '70's hair look. Yes, I still have to clarify once every other week or so, but overall I have happy hair, so yay!

I do mix this all up with the Big Sexy Hair shampoo and conditioner and gel. I use those now when I want my hair to be EXACTLY how I want, no questions asked. I just can't use them all the time anymore because they are very drying!

That's it. Product update!

Athena's Owl
November 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Please let her know that the damaged hair will probably *always* be frizzy and icky until she grows it out, and not to discount the benefits of cone-free CO-washing because of that.

This is my experience too. My pre-LHC hair was essentially unsalvageable. I didn't whack it all off immediately, but it was not even close to as nice as my post-LHC hair.

This was also my experience. My ends are really quite manky compared to the hair I've been growing lately. I'm realy looking forward to getting these ends trimmed off (I've been maintaining all this year, doing trims every couple of months. it's getting better!)

I also highly recommend having her read the Live Curly Live Free website (http://livecurlylivefree.com/). I've not purchased the e-book, but several curly members here have gotten it and highly recommend it. But even without the book, the basic curl care info on the website is invaluable.

I bought the book. What the heck, it was ten bucks. I think I spent a wise ten bucks that day - just having the dew point guide and the bits about porosity has helped me so much. the author does a hair analysis too. I haven't done that but people who have said that it was interesting and informative.

Maraz
November 16th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I found a picture of me from a few years ago with hair almost as long as it is now. It looks as long because it was straight. Was trying to remember how I got it that way, and then I remembered. Lots and lots of spray-in de-frizz combined with a straightener that was gradually frying my already easily-broken hair.

But it did look really silky and smooth in the picture. Happens I remember how hard it was to get just enough de-frizz stuff in it to keep it that way without weighing it down in greasy clumps. I also remember that it never lasted more than a couple of hours no matter what I did.

dili
November 16th, 2011, 05:30 PM
i am new here in the lhc and i have curly hairs
its kind a crazy hairs because depends how i wash stay wavy with curls in the end or super super curly with small and defined curls! ( and depends of whether too)

dili
November 17th, 2011, 12:05 AM
does anybody have a good suggestion of a cone free curls definer? i want something that will define my curls but let it soft, i dont like the cruchness of gels...

Chess
November 17th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Curly here!

bouclée
November 17th, 2011, 02:25 AM
dili, did you try a mix of aloe vera gel and oil? I used to do it and it worked fine (I run out of aloe vera gel :()

MandyBeth
November 17th, 2011, 09:21 AM
The story on why you should not let a 6 y/o with very curly hair watch a Finnish rock band. She wants to have straighter hair every once in a while now. The curls are still the best for Princess Hair, but she wants Rocker Hair now also.

How do I straighten her hair without heat????????

GRU
November 17th, 2011, 09:54 AM
The story on why you should not let a 6 y/o with very curly hair watch a Finnish rock band. She wants to have straighter hair every once in a while now. The curls are still the best for Princess Hair, but she wants Rocker Hair now also.

I'm going to suggest trying Aloe Vera Gel mixed with oil, slathered on and brushed out with a Tangle Teezer, then left in a bun. That's what takes the curl out of my hair, at least.

MandyBeth
November 17th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I'm going to suggest trying Aloe Vera Gel mixed with oil, slathered on and brushed out with a Tangle Teezer, then left in a bun. That's what takes the curl out of my hair, at least.
Thanks! We'll give it a try. I know we won't get it as straight as Tarja's hair, but it's fun for a try. Last time I let the kid watch old Nightwish videos :rolleyes:

jrk
November 17th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I have curls, but short hair ( see profile pic) I've been heat free for a few weeks and totally loving my curls again. I think they will help a ton in my akward stages.

Problem is I normally shower at night. If I sleep with damp hair, the back is flat :( Any suggestions?

MandyBeth
November 17th, 2011, 01:07 PM
does anybody have a good suggestion of a cone free curls definer? i want something that will define my curls but let it soft, i dont like the cruchness of gels...
To break up the "crunch", scrunch oil into the crunchy areas. You get the definition and soft hair.

C.H.
November 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Enjoy!

Love it!! Thanks for sharing. :)

What I always have to explain to people is that it's not about aesthetics--my hair is just high maintenance. Period. It doesn't matter how it's styled or what products I use, it's just never going to be easy to work with.

cmg
November 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM

Hmm. Try placing her in front of the telly with the second act of a classical opera going on. The level of horror wil raise her hair straight up and all you have to do is put some condish in it and comb. OK just kidding, couldn't help myself :D

Love it!! Thanks for sharing. :)

What I always have to explain to people is that it's not about aesthetics--my hair is just high maintenance. Period. It doesn't matter how it's styled or what products I use, it's just never going to be easy to work with.
Amen.

jaine
November 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I've come to the conclusion that a roller set with fat rollers is the straightest and smoothest my hair will ever get without heat. That still looks curlier than truly straight hair, though.

Another option is hair wrapping (basically using the head as one huge roller). But I didn't like it. My scalp hurt because at least part of the hair has to be wrapped in a direction opposite to its growth, and my follicles were hurting all day from that.

Hollyfire3
November 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Hey I am ssooo happy there is a thread for curly hair! Now, just wondering, how can you tell if curly hair is thick? I mean, it always looks like there is soo much of it!

cmg
November 17th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Another option is hair wrapping (basically using the head as one huge roller). But I didn't like it. My scalp hurt because at least part of the hair has to be wrapped in a direction opposite to its growth, and my follicles were hurting all day from that.
Oh I can so understand what youre saying there. Someone tried to manipulate my hair when I was in the hospital some time ago and my head hurt for a week after that. As soon I turned a hair the wrong way it hurt again. I couldnt touch my hair at all. It took several washes to get rid of that effect.

Hey I am ssooo happy there is a thread for curly hair! Now, just wondering, how can you tell if curly hair is thick? I mean, it always looks like there is soo much of it!
Hi - you can always check the thickness of a ponytail.

Hollyfire3
November 17th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Hi - you can always check the thickness of a ponytail.

oh well in that case, I DO have thick hair lol thanks alot. Is there any way to make curly hair look naturally straight without heat?

cmg
November 17th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Yes a straight perm. Anyhow, that's the multimillion dollar question, asked all over the world. :)

Hollyfire3
November 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Yes a straight perm. Anyhow, that's the multimillion dollar question, asked all over the world. :)
lol sorry i meant temporarily. i am also looking for curly hair tips for mid-back length (when straight) thick, curly hair. My hair idol is Holly Marie Combs (Piper on Charmed) i think she has at least wavy hair naturally and i know its quite thick. So, any tips, comments on Piper's hair or anything else.

MandyBeth
November 18th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I've come to the conclusion that a roller set with fat rollers is the straightest and smoothest my hair will ever get without heat. That still looks curlier than truly straight hair, though.

Tried a braid last night, it's got wavies going on, but it's gotten her 3c hair down to oh 2b. She'd still LOVE the 1a hair, but that won't happen without a lot of chemicals or heat, neither of which I will put on her hair. If she wants to when she's an adult, I can't stop her, but while she's 6, those aren't going to happen.

But holy cow, straighten the kid's hair out, it's LONG. As in she can sit on it.

GRU
November 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM
But holy cow, straighten the kid's hair out, it's LONG. As in she can sit on it.

So now the Princess is a real-life Rapunzel? ;)

MandyBeth
November 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
So now the Princess is a real-life Rapunzel? ;)
Trying to be :) However, let's point out she's 6, so being just past classic length isn't insanely long in inches. But she likes it. I think she'll want curls again within a few days, but what the heck, let her have fun.

If she decides in a few weeks/months that she still wants the ultra straight hair, might let her go do that for Easter, the top straightens out pretty well, the rest is already damaged from the dish soap only routine. Plus let Kasey do it, since he knows what he's doing. I don't think carefully blowing it dry on warm is going to make the damage worse.

But I think she'll get over this in a few days, so I'm not too worried.

Copasetic
November 18th, 2011, 09:20 AM

I really like the La Coupe curl cream. It has one water soluble cone though.