PDA

View Full Version : Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Magelet33
March 8th, 2010, 11:01 PM
The ponytail on top of the head worked great for second day curls, I was quite surprised. however third day curls were a mass of tangles as always. dang it I don't want to have to comb out my curls that often. It's a pita now, how on earth will I manage it when I have a wee babe.

RedButterfly
March 14th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I've started CO washing again and also rediscovered Giovanni products. I've also discovered Garnier Triple Nutrition and love it!

I go back and forth with the Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Giovanni LA Naturals gel. If you use the right amount, you get, soft, defined curls with a lot of body. If you use too much, you get hard hair with a crunch that is hard to scrunch out and feels very producty. However, I noticed that all it takes is a little water to get rid of the residue from both the conditioner and the gel, unlike other heavier products.

Does anyone else use Giovanni Direct Leave-in and/or the Giovanni gel with success? How do you figure out the right amount?

masa_inn
March 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hello, everybody :)
Another wavy/curly here; new to LC, but not so new to NC.com.

Joette
March 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I never really thought of myself as a curly until I typed my hair over the weekend. After I got a look at that picture (the one in my avatar), I was shocked! I knew I had waves, but I never suspected how much. Looks like this may be the thread for me! Now I have to set aside several hours so I can go back through for the excellent advice I know this thread will contain on maximizing my curl. :)

proo
March 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM
i airdry my wavy/curly/straight/frizzy hair in a smooth silky scarf, turban style
it straightens and smooths the shaft, unlike plopping, so i can comb through it all week
no heat, no curlers - big smooth curls, very little frizz
i comb through it upsidedown periodically as it's drying, then turban it back up, preferably in a fresh scarf to speed drying time to around 2 hours
no products, very little manipulation, very gentle

Heidi_234
March 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I never really thought of myself as a curly until I typed my hair over the weekend. After I got a look at that picture (the one in my avatar), I was shocked! I knew I had waves, but I never suspected how much. Looks like this may be the thread for me! Now I have to set aside several hours so I can go back through for the excellent advice I know this thread will contain on maximizing my curl. :)
Just saw your hairtyping shot - you might be more of a 2c than 2c/3a, but time will tell! Welcome to the curlihood! Some people discovered that after few (or many) months of CG routine (basically COing - using Conditioner Only, no shampoos) their hair got even curlier. Mine doesn't lose it's curl as gracefully as yours when brushed/combed out, that's why I'm pointing the hairtype thing out. :)

Joette
March 15th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I just made my best guess at it! lol
The length shot is several days post wash and had been through several different braid/bun/twisty combinations. I am lucky that it straightens gracefully, but once it does it just lays there all pleh. But I'm going to spend some time taking care of my curl and see what happens.

Copasetic
March 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Does anyone else use Giovanni Direct Leave-in and/or the Giovanni gel with success? How do you figure out the right amount?

I have used both in the past. I no longer use the gel regularly because, to me, it is a bit expensive for a gel. I use a ton of gel so I tend to go got something that is lower priced.

I have heard a lot of people talk about finding the right amount when using Giovanni products, especially the direct leave in, and I honestly have never had this problem. My hair can soak up an absurd amount of product, so it is basically impossible for me to overload.

princessp
March 15th, 2010, 10:05 PM
new member checking in!!

GlassEyes
March 16th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Hello, everybody :)
Another wavy/curly here; new to LC, but not so new to NC.com.
Why, hello there! Welcome to LHC! I'm a member on NC too, but I rarely post--it's even worse for enabling than this place in some ways.

Also, your hair looks awesome.

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Stopping by to say hi! Welcome to the new peeps! I haven't been on here much but am still growing. Still at waist because of several trims.

calicokatt
March 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I turned curly after child number four.... spiral curls all over if I go cone free. Of course, then it matts and I can't comb it, any suggestions?

Kathy

curlylocks85
March 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I turned curly after child number four.... spiral curls all over if I go cone free. Of course, then it matts and I can't comb it, any suggestions?

Kathy

Have you tried combing in the shower with the conditioner in your hair?

Quixii
March 30th, 2010, 12:47 AM
One of my friends straightened my hair today. It didn't get very straight - hardly more than if I had just brushed it out - so I hope it didn't damage it too much. Plus I never straighten or blow dry myself, so it should be okay, right?
I was hoping I would see a length difference, but I didn't notice much of one. Maybe if it was all the way straight?
It definitely looked weird though. Plus she changed my (usually centre) part to a side one, so I hardly recognized myself. An interesting experience, though.

Vermelha
March 30th, 2010, 10:08 AM
One of my friends straightened my hair today. It didn't get very straight - hardly more than if I had just brushed it out - so I hope it didn't damage it too much. Plus I never straighten or blow dry myself, so it should be okay, right?
I was hoping I would see a length difference, but I didn't notice much of one. Maybe if it was all the way straight?
It definitely looked weird though. Plus she changed my (usually centre) part to a side one, so I hardly recognized myself. An interesting experience, though.

I bet it was interesting :D Have you straightened your hair before?

StormVixen
March 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hi, I'm fast running out of conditioner and other hair products and I was wondering if anyone here uses "CURLS" products? They're one of the cheapest curl specific ranges I can buy in the uk (online). I have used their coconut conditioner which is awesome and smells lush, but I was thinking of buying the cream cleanser, the other conditioner, moisturiser, and a styling product (they have a few and im not sure which would be best for me!)

So... Do any of you use CURLS products, do you like them and which of the styling products would you think would work best on my medium (thickness, density, porosity), 3A/B curls?

Thanks! xXx

rachelily
March 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Oh my gosh you have BEAUTIFUL hair!

Quixii
March 30th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I bet it was interesting :D Have you straightened your hair before?
Never!
I dunno, I didn't particularly like it. I'm feeling really paranoid about split ends now, and it's not behaving like my hair. I hope when I wash it tonight it will go back to normal. >.<

cmnt831
March 31st, 2010, 06:35 AM
Never!
I dunno, I didn't particularly like it. I'm feeling really paranoid about split ends now, and it's not behaving like my hair. I hope when I wash it tonight it will go back to normal. >.<

Unless it's like my hair it will probably return to normal. (See sig and compare to avatar to see how hair straightened on its own since January). If she used a straightening iron, please check for splits right away. I would hate to see your beautiful hair get frayed at the ends. Check anyway if it was just blow dryer and brush, but I know in the past a straightening iron did way more damage to my hair (especially the ends) than just blow dryer and brush. Just my :twocents:. :)

GlassEyes
March 31st, 2010, 06:54 AM
Hi, I'm fast running out of conditioner and other hair products and I was wondering if anyone here uses "CURLS" products? They're one of the cheapest curl specific ranges I can buy in the uk (online). I have used their coconut conditioner which is awesome and smells lush, but I was thinking of buying the cream cleanser, the other conditioner, moisturiser, and a styling product (they have a few and im not sure which would be best for me!)

So... Do any of you use CURLS products, do you like them and which of the styling products would you think would work best on my medium (thickness, density, porosity), 3A/B curls?

Thanks! xXx
I dislike them all except for one thing they discontinued--and that's because it makes my hair straighten easily. :lol: I've tried the Souflee, the whipped cream, and the euphoria elixer--I only liked the last one.

StormVixen
March 31st, 2010, 02:27 PM
I dislike them all except for one thing they discontinued--and that's because it makes my hair straighten easily. :lol: I've tried the Souflee, the whipped cream, and the euphoria elixer--I only liked the last one.

cool thanks! i'll try to get some samples then, instead of just ordering straight away... hmmm... i wonder why it straightened your hair... I've been almost WO for a week, just useing a tiny amount of conditioner for detangeling, then spritzing with chamomile tea with honey my curls have gone really tight but my hair is crunchy :confused: i'm guessing its the honey or possibly the cassia i did about a week ago... I wish i had enough money to be a Product Junkie :D

GlassEyes
March 31st, 2010, 05:55 PM
It's a heat-protectant serum/glosser. It either makes ahir shiny or easy to straighten.

For the former, it was okay--but it caused instant build-up everytime I used it, so I only use it to straighten the few times a year that I do it. XD;

StormVixen
April 1st, 2010, 02:53 PM
It's a heat-protectant serum/glosser. It either makes ahir shiny or easy to straighten.

For the former, it was okay--but it caused instant build-up everytime I used it, so I only use it to straighten the few times a year that I do it. XD;

i'm confused as to which products your talking about, but thanks!

My wishlist at the curly emporium uk has quadrupled in size as of lastnight, there must be at least £300 worth of stuff on it! alot of it is sample/travel size tho so when i get whatever i end up getting i MUST remember to record and post results here!

09robiha
April 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM
i'm confused as to which products your talking about, but thanks!

My wishlist at the curly emporium uk has quadrupled in size as of lastnight, there must be at least £300 worth of stuff on it! alot of it is sample/travel size tho so when i get whatever i end up getting i MUST remember to record and post results here!

Lol for fun one day i decided to total up all the products i liked/wanted to try in the curly emporium....yeah it came to over £350!! yikes lol

CrystalTips
April 1st, 2010, 03:32 PM
Lol for fun one day i decided to total up all the products i liked/wanted to try in the curly emporium....yeah it came to over £350!! yikes lol

I can so relate! lol - I order bit by bit to try to convince myself that I'm not really spending a flippin' FORTUNE! :bigeyes:

StormVixen
April 1st, 2010, 03:44 PM
I can so relate! lol - I order bit by bit to try to convince myself that I'm not really spending a flippin' FORTUNE! :bigeyes:

lol... I cant wait to get paid! im scared how much I'll be tempted to spend tho... I'll *TRY* to limit myself to £50 as its my first real pay for a very long time!

CrystalTips
April 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM

lol... I cant wait to get paid! im scared how much I'll be tempted to spend tho... I'll *TRY* to limit myself to £50 as its my first real pay for a very long time!

What products are you thinking of trying, StormVixen?

09robiha
April 3rd, 2010, 03:28 AM

hahah it is for this reson that i buy samples from Kathymack over on NC.com first!! i have saved myself a small fortune on prodctus that didnt work for me.

Now is it just me that gets really cheesed off by curly hairs inconsitency?? I mean whyis it so flippin hard for my hair to like just one conditoner, just one styler and just one leave in!! i guess im just getting really frustrated because i just want a nice simple routine that i know is never going to happen.

Also anyone got anyideas for curly updos?? I usually do a messy bun but im looking for more ideas pretty pleaseeeee :)

09robiha
April 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM

Hahahah I do that at the beging of the month..I have x amount to spend on hair stuff this month. I always spend to much lol I actually have filled a cabinet now and it aint a small cabinet:rolleyes:

Athena's Owl
April 3rd, 2010, 04:46 AM
Now is it just me that gets really cheesed off by curly hairs inconsitency?? I mean why is it so flippin hard for my hair to like just one conditoner, just one styler and just one leave in!!

Yeah not gonna happen, sorry. :) But i'll tell you why it's not going to happen, so you can get a better handle of what to use when.

There are two things that my hair routine depends on - porosity/texture and dewpoint.

Porosity is how tight or open your hair's cuticle is. I have low porosity fine hair. This means that my hair's cuticle is tight.

You can determine this by taking one of your hairs and dropping it in a bowl of water. If it sinks within a few minutes, you have high porosity hair. If it floats and stubbornly still floats, you have low porosity.

High porosity hair sucks up moisture and product, but releases it quickly, where low porosity hair takes a few minutes in the shower to even get properly *wet.* This is going to influence which products you're going to use.

Dew point is the day to day measure of what your hair's going to do in reaction to the weather. High and low dewpoints don't do well with humectants, ingredients that are very common in products for curly hair. In low dewpoint conditions, your hair will feel like dry straw. In high humidity conditions, it'll be soft, sure, but no curl conformity as it frizzes all over the place.

It's the changes in dew point that are going to mean that you have to use a different set of products from day to day, and the porosity/texture that's going to *slightly* narrow down the range of products you use.

But one set of products for any day of the year? Heh. No.

Vermelha
April 3rd, 2010, 05:57 AM
Any curlies able to get away with only one product (or even no product?)

mitabird
April 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM

I usually just use a gel, leaving in some of my rinse-out conditioner so I don't have to worry about applying a leave-in.

ravensinger13
April 3rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Right now I'm only using a leave-in/combing conditioner or a little oil or both.

LadyJennifer
April 3rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
so far, what seems to work best for me, is home made flaxseed gel when wet; then maybe some shea butter after it's dry.

Debra83
April 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Here was my latest attempt at scrunching (march 27)....forgot to put it in!!! (this thread I mean)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4366&pictureid=67814

Kaijah
April 4th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I just leave in some conditioner and oil/shea, because I'm lazy. I think I do okay most days, but I've never had cwurls that are particularly prone to falling.

Vermelha
April 4th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Here was my latest attempt at scrunching (march 27)....forgot to put it in!!! (this thread I mean)

Comparing it to the picture in your siggy, I think your scrunching efforts look great! Either way I think your hair looks great but I really think you got some lovely curls there!

Vermelha
April 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Right now, I'm only using oil on my hair. I don't use any other products.

Copasetic
April 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM

I wish! I use leave in conditioner, KCCC, and mousse.

Heidi_234
April 4th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Depends what you mean by 'product' :wink:
I can get away with just one conditioner I have that I love. I can use it as a deep treatment, as a conditioner and as a leave in after washing. But usually I prefer to use few different conditioners (a cheaper one for Deep/Dry CO, a hair mask as a conditioner and that conditioner I mentioned as a leave in), and not to mention coconut oil and shea butter in between washing. :)

Vermelha
April 4th, 2010, 01:12 PM
^^I didn't think there was any other way to describe something you put in the hair to style it. Sorry if I wasn't clear. My bad.

TigerLily1
April 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Oh my, this is a very long thread; I don’t think I can read all of it lol, my hair is quite curly, I tried to do the typing, but wasn’t sure which type I am.
Has anyone tried the Brazilian Keratin treatment? I did it twice, my last treatment was over a year a go though, I am not after the straightening effect of the treatment, it just protected my hair, and I felt it grew faster when it was treated with Keratin. But of course I was concerned about the health related issues from the formaldehyde. Wonder if you ladies already discussed this already?

BattahZ
April 4th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hi ladies! I'm new on LHC and learning my way around. I'm a 3a who's also looking forward to good hair again in the summer :)

Re: products, I can get away with one, depending on what it is and what the weather's like. Lately I've been lazy and only use KCCC before and after plopping, and it works great. I run it through my hair (sectioned and upside down) with a Denman brush and I get nice clumps.

Belisarius
April 5th, 2010, 01:01 PM
No way. Really not. I do wish i could do WO, but alas no.

emmabovary
April 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I can get by with one product only, yes. My conditioner is all I need when my hair is in good shape, and it actually is most of the time. I get bored and try a bunch of stuff all the time though, so I don't know how my hair would look if I actually used only conditioner and nothing else for several months..

skarab
April 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hi, new to the forum here. My hair is completely independent and has never reacted in a regular way to any kind of product or technique so I've never really bothered to do much with it, since it just seems like a waste of time. Most of the time I've usually just shampooed, conditioned occasionally, mostly because I felt pressured to do it, but it's never really made a difference except in making me shed 2X the amount of hair during detangling.
Now I've been WO for 5 or 6 weeks. No change in curl behaviour, but less frizz at the top, which is nice.

GlassEyes
April 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I really, really, reaaaally wish I could still afford KCCC right now.

My hair's straight again, partially because my mom wanted to see how long it is, and partially because I haven't been able to wear it down for a few weeks because I'm having fantastic frizz issues. I still have some Curls in a Bottle left--but I refuse to use it unless its a special occasion.

I need a job. I wish I'd given up on looking for other products and stuck to KCCC, because save for the CIAB and the Coffee Coco Hair Creme, nothing else worked. XD;

BattahZ
April 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Glass Eyes, there's a product I heard about (though I haven't tried it) that's supposed to be a very inexpensive version of KCCC. I think it's called Ecostyler Krystal or something like that, and it's available at Sally Beauty Supply. I want to say it's less than $10 a jar? Again, I haven't tried it, but I hear it's essentially the same. I don't know if it smells as yummy as KCCC though - the smell of that stuff makes me want to eat it with a spoon!

CrystalTips
April 6th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Glass Eyes, there's a product I heard about (though I haven't tried it) that's supposed to be a very inexpensive version of KCCC. I think it's called Ecostyler Krystal or something like that, and it's available at Sally Beauty Supply. I want to say it's less than $10 a jar? Again, I haven't tried it, but I hear it's essentially the same. I don't know if it smells as yummy as KCCC though - the smell of that stuff makes me want to eat it with a spoon!

I've got both KCCC and Eco Styler Krystal - for me, they are completely different. However, the Eco Styler is v cheap - we pay around £2.50 here for the large size - probably around $2.50 in the US.

The Eco Styler contains protein (KCCC doesn't) and is quite a sticky gel in the hands (although not sticky in the hair) and I find it works better adding a little water and emulsifying before applying. The tub says it is hard hold but it's medium hold for me (I add a little BRHG over). Gives me bouncy, frizz free curls and much quicker drying time than KCCC! I can't use it regularly tho' as it contains protein.

Gilly
April 6th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I wish! I use leave in conditioner, KCCC, and mousse.
What is KCCC???

earthymamawitch
April 6th, 2010, 07:39 AM
New to this thread. My hair is stick straight and in dreads besides, but my 10 daughter is a wurly/curly (she's got some of each on her head) and could use some tips for her - and I don't have time to read thru the whole thread lol! she's got 2a/3a BSL length hair, with dry dry dry ends, but because her hair is so thin/fine, it gets easily weighed down. I'm not sure what to do to help at this point. She had some issues with alopecia this winter, got a bald spot on the top (which her pedi said was probably just stress related and would go away) plus some overall thinning. It's growing back now, about an inch of new hair on the former bald spot, but her hair is pretty thin. Any tips on managing her hair for her, with the combo of thinness, dryness and some frizz from the humidity that's starting to crop up? Oh yeah forgot to mention - her hair HATES protein too.

Jenn

LilyLu
April 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I'm trying to cut back on my hair dryer use.. I dont use high heat (medium or cold) and I use a diffuser but since its getting hot again I'd like to start air drying my hair more..
one problem though, Air drying my curls leaves me with very little volume! so the hair on my scalp is flat and so is the back of my head. any suggestion on how to correct this??? I would be VERY grateful!!

thanks!

Belisarius
April 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM
New to this thread. My hair is stick straight and in dreads besides, but my 10 daughter is a wurly/curly (she's got some of each on her head) and could use some tips for her - and I don't have time to read thru the whole thread lol! she's got 2a/3a BSL length hair, with dry dry dry ends, but because her hair is so thin/fine, it gets easily weighed down. I'm not sure what to do to help at this point. She had some issues with alopecia this winter, got a bald spot on the top (which her pedi said was probably just stress related and would go away) plus some overall thinning. It's growing back now, about an inch of new hair on the former bald spot, but her hair is pretty thin. Any tips on managing her hair for her, with the combo of thinness, dryness and some frizz from the humidity that's starting to crop up? Oh yeah forgot to mention - her hair HATES protein too.

Jenn
For the dryness i myself and lots of others here would recommend an smt treatment, but i don't know how young girls like those. For frizz you might try putting aloe vera or oil on the hair?

girlcat36
April 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Jenn

My hair is very fine and thin, like a child's hair.
I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner as a leave-in, I apply it generously to the ends and let air dry.
Styling products tend to build up quickly on my hair, so I avoid them. Products leave my ends in worse condition eventually.

Copasetic
April 6th, 2010, 08:23 PM
What is KCCC???

Kinky Curly Curling Custard

http://kinky-curly.com/shop.php

manderly
April 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I got really awesome curls today by sleeping with my hair in a pillowcase draped over my pillow. It was so bouncy and voluminous on top that when I let it down it didn't hardly touch my shoulders for a few minutes.

My normally BSL curls are barely APL will all their bounce today.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/Hair/CIMG2407.jpg

more details in my blog entry http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=68617

RedButterfly
April 11th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Does anyone use Mastey Traite shampoo?

It's sulfate-free and seems to have a lot of gentle ingredients. I tried it for the first time and it seems gentle.

I just wondered if anyone uses this regularly and likes it?

CelinaStarr
April 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Yay! I've finally found the right thread. I originally posted in the wavy thread by mistake, lol.

Another curly checking in. I'm 3c/b/a. My hair is multitextured. I rarely shampoo but I'm cone free. I co wash or detangle with Suave or Giovanni conditioner and use Giovanni conditioner and sometimes extra virgin olive oil as a leave in and moisturizer. I do not use gels, mousse, or any other "stylers".

Here's my hair. This picture was taken without flash:
http://images56.fotki.com/v1597/photos/9/1559269/8566306/DSC01454-vi.jpg

KBG
April 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Beautiful hair in this thread!! I'm a t4 but I appreciate all hair types. My mom and oldest child have t3 and my younger ones have t2 and a mix of t2 & t3.

I've found that we can share most products and tools, I just usually require more product and less manipulation.

They have more natural elasticity and shine too. Even when mine is at its best and well-conditioned & oiled, I just don't get that 'bling'/Meyerpire sparkle (Twilight joke) from my hair...

Their hair loves the Denman brushes (preferably on wet or very damp slippery hair). I used them a lot when my hair was shorter but they're not so fab for me lately. However, Denmans continue to rock for them.:rockerdud

Flynn
April 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Jenn
Wurly, not curly, with fine hair, and I find that just smoothing a little bit of cone-free normal conditioner onto my hair when damp or dry can help a lot with the frizz...

Cone-free helped a lot for reversing dryness in my hair.

A thicker conditioner helps a lot when I get dryer ends. If she regularly has a bath, rather than a shower, do you/does she put her hair up to keep the ends out of the water?

girlcat36
April 16th, 2010, 06:58 PM
CelinaStarr--Wow! Awesome hair! It's so thick---care to share some with me? :)

LadyJennifer
April 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Beautiful hair in this thread!! I'm a t4 but I appreciate all hair types. My mom and oldest child have t3 and my younger ones have t2 and a mix of t2 & t3.

I've found that we can share most products and tools, I just usually require more product and less manipulation.

They have more natural elasticity and shine too. Even when mine is at its best and well-conditioned & oiled, I just don't get that 'bling'/Meyerpire sparkle (Twilight joke) from my hair...

Their hair loves the Denman brushes (preferably on wet or very damp slippery hair). I used them a lot when my hair was shorter but they're not so fab for me lately. However, Denmans continue to rock for them.:rockerdud

What is t4, t3, and t2? I have never seen that as a hair type...

KBG
April 16th, 2010, 08:00 PM
What is t4, t3, and t2? I have never seen that as a hair type...

Oh it's just my quick way of saying type 4, type 3 and type 2.

eta: Specifically my mom is probably a 3c(but always straightens)... I think our kids are 3b, 2b, and one is mixture of some sort between the two some parts wavy w/ some loose springs too...it's all very fine strands. I have the most trouble with her hair but it's getting a bit easier as it gets longer.

Quixii
April 16th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I think my hair is just about classic when wet and pulled straight. I'm trying to decide if I want to celebrate now or wait until it gets there when natural. :p I think now that it's warming up my hair is growing again. I'm still pretty sure it didn't grow over the winter, but the last couple months I've noticed a difference. Even the dentist commented that it was looking longer. xD
Also with it getting warmer I've been wearing more t-shirts and less sweaters, and the t-shirts keep riding up a bit and my hair tickles the small of my back. I don't know why it never did that before, even though it's been around this length for a while. :D I find it amusing. Along with it getting caught in the, erm, "vertical smile" when wet - I find that one both amusing and gross. xD
Over all, I'm kind of excited. My hair actually seems to be growing!
I'll have to dig up some new and old pictures for my first ever side by side comparison. =D

Heidi_234
April 17th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Quixii That's wonderful to hear!
I hope my hair will follow your hair's example and stop staling too!

yzkaloha
April 17th, 2010, 03:43 AM
CelinaStarr, you hair is beautiful!!! We have very similar hair and routine except I use an ayurvedic hair oil. How many days a week do you oil your hair?

yzkaloha
April 17th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Girlcat36, your hair looks fabulous!!!

CelinaStarr
April 18th, 2010, 06:09 PM
CelinaStarr--Wow! Awesome hair! It's so thick---care to share some with me? :)

Thank you. :) You can have some of my hair, lol! Thick coarse hair can be very hard to style.

Your hair is pretty. I think fine to medium hair is much easier to care for.

CelinaStarr, you hair is beautiful!!! We have very similar hair and routine except I use an ayurvedic hair oil. How many days a week do you oil your hair?

Thank you. During the winter I used oil after just about every conditioner wash (about 2-5 times a week). Now I don't use my oil very often. Probably a few times a month. My hair can get dry during the winter months so I need the extra moisture.

m0desty
April 23rd, 2010, 03:50 AM
Hi everyone!
I've just seen some GORGEOUS pictures in this thread! Curls to die for! *sigh*

As you can see i am a newby at LHC. I am 22 years old and i have long hair that reaches the bottom of my back. I used to have curly hair but now its a bit wurly and dry. I miss my curls and i have no idea what shampoo or conditioner to use!! Can someone please help me out.!!

-Maybe its good to know that im wearing a hijab (islamic headscarf). i dont wear it at home, obviously. and i sleep with my hair loose, i cant sleep with a knot,ponytail or whatever.
- And my english isnt perfect because im born and live in holland (but from moroccan heritage..)

irishcurls
April 27th, 2010, 10:52 PM
It has been a really long time since I have been on here! My hair has not grown very much due to winter. Now that its warmer its growing really fast again. Its not very long. Its a good armpit length. My next goal is bra strap length. Then waist and I think I will leave it there. I think at this stage in my life it will be to hard to take care of well and thats just not the length for me. Anyways fill me in on some good conditioning/oil treatments!!!

09robiha
April 28th, 2010, 01:47 AM
hi everyone (and new members) yes im still alive!!! hahahanot been here in a while, this thread can be kinda hard to find under all the forum clutter lol. I flat ironed my hair the other day and wow its really grown. way past basl and about an inch and a half from waist...so about 3 inches curly. Gah! I hate shrinkage :mad: hehe. On the upside, I have found a conditoner that is both cheap, cone free and my hair LIKES it! at last lol and it dosent cost me nearly £10 a bottle.

Heidi_234
April 28th, 2010, 05:36 AM
This reminds me that how tempted I am to blow it out stick straight. :no: I haven't done it in years, but I'm not falling off the wagon! No, I'm not... I'm not... I'm not...

09robiha
April 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
This reminds me that how tempted I am to blow it out stick straight. :no: I haven't done it in years, but I'm not falling off the wagon! No, I'm not... I'm not... I'm not...

I have straighten in a looong time. In fact when I go to college i got sum funny looks and the whole 'ur hairs straight?..why?' thing. I think they definatly like it curly which makes me feel better....but oh the smoothness, the sleekness of a straight ponytail was just soo nice. Now I am really tempted to do it again haha

abritta3
May 2nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
I posted this in the "Mane" forum but I couldn't find it today when I went back to see if I had replies...lol
but my question is:
I have straightened my bangs for a long time (and left the rest curly) so now I want to let my bangs curl too...and they don't
I can scrunch them and they'll be wavier...but still not like the rest of my spirals and I hate it
Is there anything I can do? If I leave them alone will they curl better over time?

manderly
May 2nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
I posted this in the "Mane" forum but I couldn't find it today when I went back to see if I had replies...lol
but my question is:
I have straightened my bangs for a long time (and left the rest curly) so now I want to let my bangs curl too...and they don't
I can scrunch them and they'll be wavier...but still not like the rest of my spirals and I hate it
Is there anything I can do? If I leave them alone will they curl better over time?

They don't curl because they're too short most likely.

Give them time to grow out and they'll begin to match the rest of your hair again. Mine are around my earlobes now, but I think they began being curly again around ear length.

abritta3
May 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Just wanted to post that I have been using the Deva Curl products...since May3...
WOW is all I can say.
Finally SOFT (not crunchy), touchable curls. They have so much movement and bounce now. I am 100% pleased. I highly recommend this line for other curly/wurly girls

Quixii
May 5th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone! Glad to see this thread bumped back up again. :)
My hair has been feeling so long lately. I love it! And I'm getting so many compliments.
I need to take a picture soon. I said that last time I posted here... oh well.
These days I brush it before I get in the shower, because I felt like I was wasting a lot of water combing out all the tangles in the shower, and it just feels so long! Classic is coming, I can feel it. :D
As for the curls... well, I've been switching products almost every week now. I was cone free for two weeks, but I didn't like the conditioner. Then I tried a conditioner with some cones and some other ingredients I hadn't tried before, and it made my hair feel gross though the curls were nice. So I tried another one, but it had the same effects. So now I'm back to cone free, but my hair has been fairly frizzy and a lot more wurly and less curly. I'm not sure whether it's the products or the weather - it's definitely approaching summer weather here, and my hair has never liked the summer.
I think today I'll remeasure my hair. :D

Curlsgirl
May 6th, 2010, 06:57 AM
My hair has been feeling so long lately. I love it! And I'm getting so many compliments.
These days I brush it before I get in the shower, because I felt like I was wasting a lot of water combing out all the tangles in the shower, and it just feels so long! Classic is coming, I can feel it. :D
As for the curls... well, I've been switching products almost every week now. I was cone free for two weeks, but I didn't like the conditioner. Then I tried a conditioner with some cones and some other ingredients I hadn't tried before, and it made my hair feel gross though the curls were nice. So I tried another one, but it had the same effects. So now I'm back to cone free, but my hair has been fairly frizzy and a lot more wurly and less curly. I'm not sure whether it's the products or the weather - it's definitely approaching summer weather here, and my hair has never liked the summer.

Quixii it is so good to see you! I haven't been here very much either, busy with my Mom and Dad as both of them have had serious health problems. You hair is beautiful as always!!! Would you mind sharing your current routine?

Themis74
May 6th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Hi I'm new and I'm a curly :D

Quixii, you really have beautiful hair - my ambition is to have hair like yours one day!

I'm about 2 inches below BSL when my hair is wet - but oh the shrinkage!! When dry I'm about 3 inches above BSL!!!

For the past 18 years I've been growing my hair to this length, getting fed up with it and cutting to chin length...this time I will be strong :cool:

09robiha
May 6th, 2010, 08:10 AM
hi its nice to see you guys Quixx and Curlsgirl (curlsgirl did you get the layers u were thinking about?)

I have a great announcement, I hit waist when wet. Unfortunatly I have got a way to go dry and curly because of the shrinkage but I am really enjoying my hair :cheese: its in need of a trim but so far I havent been able to either do it myself or get someone to do it for me.

Curlsgirl
May 6th, 2010, 08:15 AM
hi its nice to see you guys Quixx and Curlsgirl (curlsgirl did you get the layers u were thinking about?)

I have a great announcement, I hit waist when wet. Unfortunatly I have got a way to go dry and curly because of the shrinkage but I am really enjoying my hair :cheese: its in need of a trim but so far I havent been able to either do it myself or get someone to do it for me.

No still haven't done it. I chickened out! Good to see you! And congratulations!!!

Heidi_234
May 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I have straighten in a looong time. In fact when I go to college i got sum funny looks and the whole 'ur hairs straight?..why?' thing. I think they definatly like it curly which makes me feel better....but oh the smoothness, the sleekness of a straight ponytail was just soo nice. Now I am really tempted to do it again haha
Evil! :hatchet:
:lol:
It doesn't help when you have such great heads of hair, like Habioku's...
Maybe I'll dry it straight this upcoming wash or something to feed the urge... :p

Curlsgirl
May 6th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evil! :hatchet:
:lol:
It doesn't help when you have such great heads of hair, like Habioku's...
Maybe I'll dry it straight this upcoming wash or something to feed the urge... :p

I have been doing that way too much and can feel the damage from it. :( This summer I'll wear it curly all summer though since it's warm and will dry fast.

Heidi_234
May 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I have been doing that way too much and can feel the damage from it. :( This summer I'll wear it curly all summer though since it's warm and will dry fast.
From wrapping or actually blowing it out straight? I intend to just wrap it around the head if I can manage it, or do the crown thing.

Curlsgirl
May 6th, 2010, 08:41 AM
From wrapping or actually blowing it out straight? I intend to just wrap it around the head if I can manage it, or do the crown thing.

Blowing it straight! I wish I could do the wrap thing. I just don't have the patience! Or maybe I'm just too clumsy? :o

Heidi_234
May 6th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Blowing it straight! I wish I could do the wrap thing. I just don't have the patience! Or maybe I'm just too clumsy? :o
Last time I tried I couldn't do it either - I think I had too much hair and it was coming loose on the top while I was trying to get the bottom part right. I had more success with dividing it in two parts and wrapping each in it's own direction. I wonder if I've outgrown it too. :hmm:

LadyJennifer
May 6th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I start getting splits the minute I think about blowdrying or flat ironing!

Quixii
May 6th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the compliments! <3

My current routine is much the same as it was, with the addition of going cone-free. I wash my hair every time I have gymnastics, which is 4-5 days a week. I recently started brushing it before I get in the shower. (I used to comb through with a shower comb while in the shower. Now I just quickly finger comb in the shower.) I wash just the roots with some organic, sulfate and cone free shampoo (which I'm not sure I like - I actually get the greasy root thing every now and then, where as I never used to), then I apply conditioner liberally to my hair. I'm currently using the Tresemme naturals cone-free conditioner. Then I ponytail it and let air dry. :) I haven't been using any leave-ins.

Meagan
May 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hey curliessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Which drugstore gels do you recommend?!

TrudieCat
May 6th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hello!! I am I guess what you would call a wurly girl with the odd curl here and there, and also a few (infuriating) random straight-ish wisps. So glad to see this thread!

Ok, I am super curious about this. Background: I am a recovering straight iron addict who has been seriously babying my hair lately (no bad irons, among other things), but I like to change things up sometimes and would like to know how to straighten without heat.

I am assuming there is more about this in the 300-odd pages of this thread but I was starting to lose steam after a little while of flipping around the thread and couldn't seem to find the info - is there a page number where I can find more info about the wrapping straightening method? Or is it somewhere else on this site?

Forgive me for seeming lazy. I am pretty new still and overwhelmed a bit by all of the amazing information on this site!! :o

Heidi_234
May 7th, 2010, 06:58 AM
It's okay, these boards are such a wealth of information one can drown in it. :lol:
There's this wrapping (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37395&highlight=guilt+free) - I think it works better because the hair lays as straight is it could, and all of it (unlike damp bunning for example). Your hair is short enough for it to work well :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37395&highlight=guilt+free

Belisarius
May 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hello!! I am I guess what you would call a wurly girl with the odd curl here and there, and also a few (infuriating) random straight-ish wisps. So glad to see this thread!

Ok, I am super curious about this. Background: I am a recovering straight iron addict who has been seriously babying my hair lately (no bad irons, among other things), but I like to change things up sometimes and would like to know how to straighten without heat.

I am assuming there is more about this in the 300-odd pages of this thread but I was starting to lose steam after a little while of flipping around the thread and couldn't seem to find the info - is there a page number where I can find more info about the wrapping straightening method? Or is it somewhere else on this site?

Forgive me for seeming lazy. I am pretty new still and overwhelmed a bit by all of the amazing information on this site!! :o
As far as i know there is no method of straightening without damaging your hair.

Siava
May 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM
TrudieCat, to get mostly straightened hair you can try pulling your hair back into a low pony tail and securing it with a scrunchie while it's wet. Place more scrunchies a couple of inches apart down the length. This can be an all day affair because you have to let the hair dry. The outer layer might be dry, but it's still damp inside which means, you know it, POOF! So take the scrunchies all out, comb through to let some air circulate for drying, and then put it all back in the scrunchies again. You'll do this several times. Don't use elastics because they will leave deep indentions. The hair will not be as pin straight as using a hot iron because the moisture has been retained, but it won't be curly.

I suggest trying this out on a day you're not planning an event where your hair has to look top notch. I only say this because sometimes my hair does fine with this technique and others, especially if it's humid outside, all was for naught because it turns into a huge mass of poof. No curls, just big hair.

09robiha
May 8th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Last time I tried I couldn't do it either - I think I had too much hair and it was coming loose on the top while I was trying to get the bottom part right. I had more success with dividing it in two parts and wrapping each in it's own direction. I wonder if I've outgrown it too. :hmm:

hahaha I am wayyy to lazy to do this. I can jsut about be bothered to do braidwaves occasionally, my flat iron is so much easier though, plus it never turns out straight!..and thanks for the compliment <3

I use Garnier Fructis with the strongest hold I can find with no cones. If that helps at all.

Just wanted to say hi and welcome :)

My hair has been suffering a little latley, mostly because I have been at parties nearly every weekend and woken up after sleeping on a floor or couch to a tangled mess :mad: but other than that its all good. I had quite significant growth before I dyed it again.

Quick question....anyone here got a tangle teaser?

Gilraen
May 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I have a question . . . I'm not sure if I should make this a separate topic, but since is the curly thread . . .
I have curly hair that is 3a when I use and the usual leave-ins, and 2b-c when I don't scrunch and gel. What I want to know is, how do I do protective up-dos and nice hairstyles when my hair is curly and gelled? Even when it isn't, the hairs still stick together because of the moisture/oil, and it makes it very difficult to braid and such. I've combed through my hair before drying and it makes the hair a little more parted (not so clumpy), but then it is harder to work with because it is so frizzy and piecey. I'm really at a loss because my hair is growing pretty fast, and I need to learn how to do some braids and updos.

TrudieCat
May 9th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the help & the welcome, ladies!

I love that link, Heidi_234! You're right, that method does seem like it would work for my hair length. Definitely going to try it. I can see it being a problem with hair that is much longer... the tangles!! I am shuddering just imagining it.

Siava, I think that scrunchie-drying idea sounds like something my hair would like too. Thanks! My hair never got stick straight, even with all the flat ironing I was doing. It's not too too curly naturally, but it's also basically impossible to make it entirely straight unnaturally. Even when I would get a blow out and flat iron at a salon, there was always this weird flip/bumpy thing that would happen to the hair on one side of my head... had many stylists over the years curse that little flippy madness. I used to dislike how my hair was so stubborn, but now I sort of like it... it's like my hair is saying "I will NOT be broken!!!" :D

Athena's Owl
May 10th, 2010, 02:12 AM

I'm all about the Herbal essences. Totally twisted is pretty good, it's a medium hold and its holding ingredient is PVP, so it's good for days that are not terribly hot or humid.

Setmeup, however, is polyquaternium 4, a much stronger hold than TT, and it'll stand up much better to humid weather when you nead a very strong gel to withstand the humidity.

GlassEyes
May 10th, 2010, 02:42 AM
As far as i know there is no method of straightening without damaging your hair.
There are tons of ways to straighten without damage if you do it properly. It just takes longer.

There's rollers (steam, hot, and normal), as well as wrapping--which I don't personally like the results of.

I never liked the Totally Twisted gel. I mean, it works, but I have to use a -ton- of it, and it's not a very big bottle (or cheap with the amount I have to use).

I do need a new gel, though. I miss KCCC, but can't afford it, and La Bella's 'hard hold spike gel' kinda sucks.:(

Athena's Owl
May 10th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I never liked the Totally Twisted gel. I mean, it works, but I have to use a -ton- of it, and it's not a very big bottle (or cheap with the amount I have to use).

Oh I failed to mention how much gel I use, heh! I use four or five quarter sized goops. Just the way it is, I figure...

Curlsgirl
May 10th, 2010, 07:17 AM

I like LA Looks Sports gel best. It's super cheap and I like I like it just as well as more expensive ones.

Heidi_234
May 10th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all the help & the welcome, ladies!

I love that link, Heidi_234! You're right, that method does seem like it would work for my hair length. Definitely going to try it. I can see it being a problem with hair that is much longer... the tangles!! I am shuddering just imagining it.

I actually felt like revisiting it these days, and I managed to modify it for my hair length and thickness. I did not get stick straight hair, and it crept up deep into the type 2 range during the day, but it's still pretty damn straight for me. :D

My hair feels LONG :bounce:

EtherealOde
May 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM
KCCC, it smells so wonderful and works even in humid weather. I wish I could find something just as good that is unscented though, I don't use scented products except in winter, early spring, and late fall, when bees are not active. I have severe allergies, so try not to attract them in any way.

voluspa
May 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hello everyone! I was wondering if you could help me classify my hair type. My best guess was 2c or 3a, but I'm not that acquainted with the system.

This is my hair in it's natural state with no product. It's quite puffy and undefined, but perhaps you can make out the pattern regardless. I get some spirals on top and mostly waves on the bottom. EDIT: I take that back. I just looked at the bottom and it has loose spirals too! I guess it's just the first to go flat when I mess with it.

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq208/voluspo/Blog&#37;20Hosting/hairtexture.jpg

Also, is it possible to tell strand thickness through pictures? My guess was F/M, but again I'm uncertain.

voluspa
May 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Should I try again with some product to smooth it out? :(

DotDotDot
May 17th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Voluspa, you look like a 2c/3a to me! But there are some of us here who agree that when hair typing curlies, sometimes it's better if you have some product, not to "smooth it out," per se, but so that we can actually see the defined curl pattern rather than frizz. After all, that's generally what happens to all of us without product!

loralie
May 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hi Curlies! :waving:

1c from the other side of the hairtype fence where the grass isn't really greener :D but you ladies know that ;)

I tried plopping just to see what would happen and look what I got!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5519&pictureid=72226

I think it will look much better when my hair gets longer... this length sucks. But I am so chuffed to see it actually hold a curl for once!

You all have incredible hair... I wish I had natural curl! Happy growing curly girls :D

Quixii
May 17th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Voluspa, I agree with 2c/3a. In this picture it looks like mostly 2c with some 3a spirals, but I know as well as anyone that the curliness of your hair varies with the day and any funny looks you give it. :D
A better angle might be helpful - here it looks kind of oddly flipped over your head, which may be messing with your hair slightly. :shrug:

Curlsgirl
May 18th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I agree with 2c/3a too. That's what mine is and it looks quite a bit like mine with no product. You were okay to use not product for hairtyping here. So no worries! I would go with 2c/3a, after all it's only a guide so you can have something to go by when looking for routines or products that might work for you and so others can do the same. It's not set in stone either. :)

Quixii you are so right, must have looked at mine funny this morning because it looks today as if it's quite annoyed with me!!! :p

Curlsgirl
May 18th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Loralie thanks for stopping by! Soooooooooooo pretty!!! :cheese:

Curlsgirl
May 18th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Voluspa, No you can't really tell the hair strand type from the pictures. You should use this classification system for that.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954

GlassEyes
May 18th, 2010, 05:58 AM
even though this is a fools guess, your hair, texture and shine-sh wise, looks like my hair without product, and I'm an f/m. I really wish my hair stayed that soft and shiny without product. XD;

'Course, the curl pattern is completely different. But the way to really check for strand thickness would be to grab a strand between your fingers and rub--if it feels ike dental floss, thick string, or otherwise, you're coarse. If you can barely feel it, it's fine--anything in between is M.

Amelia
May 18th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have a question to my fellow curlies:

I keep getting contradictory information! On one side I'm told not to comb when my hair is wet. But then I read that curlies should never comb if your hair isn't slightly wet.

Which information is correct for us curlies?

Curlsgirl
May 18th, 2010, 08:54 AM

I keep getting contradictory information! On one side I'm told not to comb when my hair is wet. But then I read that curlies should never comb if your hair isn't slightly wet.

Which information is correct for us curlies? You should do what works for YOU. Generally the reason some don't like to comb when dry is because it's really easy to break the hair because of the tangles. Others say when it's wet hair is more vulnerable therefore easier to break. The main thing is to do whatever you do GENTLY starting from the bottom of your hair and going up with smaller sections with a wide tooth, seamless comb. Personally I usually do it when my hair is wet with a lot of conditioner on it and sometimes when I get out of the shower to spread my leave-ins. The only time I do when dry is if I am going to do a "smoother" type updo or something. Then I am just way more careful.

Amelia
May 18th, 2010, 09:04 AM
You should do what works for YOU. Generally the reason some don't like to comb when dry is because it's really easy to break the hair because of the tangles. Others say when it's wet hair is more vulnerable therefore easier to break. The main thing is to do whatever you do GENTLY starting from the bottom of your hair and going up with smaller sections with a wide tooth, seamless comb. Personally I usually do it when my hair is wet with a lot of conditioner on it and sometimes when I get out of the shower to spread my leave-ins. The only time I do when dry is if I am going to do a "smoother" type updo or something. Then I am just way more careful.

Thank you sooo much! For the speed and the advice you get cookies! *sends cookies to you*

Curlsgirl
May 18th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Thank you sooo much! For the speed and the advice you get cookies! *sends cookies to you*

Nom nom nom!!! :D

Shicurls
May 18th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm back to this board after spending some time over at NC. I love it here! :flower:

During my hiatus, of sorts, I have rediscovered my curls!! And, my love affair with products, and my diffuser.... I know, I know, all damaging.......

BUT, my hair is shinier, more moisturized and more curly!!!! AND, I have finally figured out co-washing!:cheer:

Here're my questions, because I'm too lazy right now to read through this thread again! What stylers are your favorites right now? Leave-ins, any recommendations? And, What other things aside from oiling, DT's, Protein Treatments, and sating pillowcases can I do to minimize damage? I am NOT giving up my diffuser again!! I LOVE it!! Low setting, of course....

Thanks!

ems
May 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM
my hair is really curly in the back..and the bangs and top layer all over are just straight. never can deside which side i like better :/

Athena's Owl
May 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM

Which information is correct for us curlies?

It depends on what you're using the comb for.

I do not comb dry hair unless I'm finished with showing off my curls and my hair is going up in buns or braids. The reason has nothing at all to do with breakage and everything to do with breaking up my clumped curls into something unattractive and poofy. If I'm not immediately putting it in a bun or a braid, I'm not ruining it with a comb.

I also do not comb my hair dry if it's gotten extremely tangled. I always detangle wet hair (I do it in an apparently unusual way. I've not heard of anyone using my detangling method, which i think is a shame since it's very fast) and I use a comb to help me distribute leave-in and styling products while my hair is absolutely soaking wet, which has proven to be the best way to get great results on my hair.

curlylocks85
May 18th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I also do not comb my hair dry if it's gotten extremely tangled. I always detangle wet hair (I do it in an apparently unusual way. I've not heard of anyone using my detangling method, which i think is a shame since it's very fast) and I use a comb to help me distribute leave-in and styling products while my hair is absolutely soaking wet, which has proven to be the best way to get great results on my hair.

What is your detangling method?

LadyJennifer
May 18th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Hi Curlies! :waving:

1c from the other side of the hairtype fence where the grass isn't really greener :D but you ladies know that ;)

I tried plopping just to see what would happen and look what I got!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5519&pictureid=72226

I think it will look much better when my hair gets longer... this length sucks. But I am so chuffed to see it actually hold a curl for once!

You all have incredible hair... I wish I had natural curl! Happy growing curly girls :D
Very pretty!

GRU
May 18th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Detangling for me (3b/c) only occurs in the shower while slathered with conditioner.

Typically, I'll CO-wash my scalp, then I'll condition my length. As I'm working in the conditioner, starting at the bottom, I use a very wide-toothed comb and my fingers to detangle the ends (gently!), always making sure everything is completely covered with conditioner. By the time I'm done, I can take the comb from roots to ends without a single catch along the way.

I never use a brush anymore, and I never comb my hair dry or water-wet -- only when soaked in conditioner.

loralie
May 18th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks Curlsgirl & Lady Jennifer!

I'll try again once I get a little longer. :)

CelinaStarr
May 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Pretty hair loralie!

Do any of you curlies wear hair sticks? Particularly those of you with 3c/b hair. Do hair sticks work on curly hair?

GRU
May 18th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Do any of you curlies wear hair sticks? Particularly those of you with 3c/b hair. Do hair sticks work on curly hair?

I did today, as a matter of fact! Was a little late getting started this morning, and had to skip my shower, so I just bunned up my hair and said to heck with it.

YesitsReal
May 18th, 2010, 11:39 PM
So, I've never really been a "Curly," mostly just a "Kind-of Wavy," but I tried plopping this morning to see what it would do, and WOW! I have curly hair! Who knew? I love it!:cheese: Many thanks to whomever invented plopping!

I have two questions, though: 1) I used a leave-in conditioner before and air dried after I plopped, and when it did dry, my hair felt a tad...crunchy. How can I prevent this? and 2) I can't get a comb through my hair very effectively now. Am I just going to have to make the best of it until I can condition my hair?

gi2121
May 19th, 2010, 04:14 AM
YesitsReal:

1) You can try to "scrunch out the scrunch": when your hair is 100% dry (that is important, for if you touch it while still damp, you'll mess with the curl pattern), scrunch it with your hands and it should soften the texture.

2) with a curly girl kind of routine you're not supposed to comb other than in the shower with conditionner...

09robiha
May 19th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I did today, as a matter of fact! Was a little late getting started this morning, and had to skip my shower, so I just bunned up my hair and said to heck with it.

I know I;m not 3a/3b im more of a 2c/3a but I wear them allllll the time. They hold really well in curly hair, and hair forks look even better.

curlylocks85
May 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Detangling for me (3b/c) only occurs in the shower while slathered with conditioner.

Typically, I'll CO-wash my scalp, then I'll condition my length. As I'm working in the conditioner, starting at the bottom, I use a very wide-toothed comb and my fingers to detangle the ends (gently!), always making sure everything is completely covered with conditioner. By the time I'm done, I can take the comb from roots to ends without a single catch along the way.

I never use a brush anymore, and I never comb my hair dry or water-wet -- only when soaked in conditioner.

My routine is similar, but my canopy is so thick that no what I do there is always some tangle I missed. I do sometimes comb with water-wet hair on my ends only because my ends gets so tangled sometimes that finger combing alone won't work. I will try to see on my washday if I can do your method and get your results.

GRU
May 19th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I have two questions, though: 1) I used a leave-in conditioner before and air dried after I plopped, and when it did dry, my hair felt a tad...crunchy. How can I prevent this? and 2) I can't get a comb through my hair very effectively now. Am I just going to have to make the best of it until I can condition my hair?

Did you use a "smoosh on with your hands" or "spray on from a bottle" type of leave-in? I've noticed that I don't get it on evenly putting it on with my hands, and if I get too much in one area, it's all hard and icky. So instead I dilute conditioner in a plastic cup in the shower and put it on that way. I get more even coverage because it's runnier, and I can just scrunch out any excess and rinse it down the drain. It works for me.

Also, ditto for not combing it .... you'll just end up with FRIZZ if you do!

Curlsgirl
May 19th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I'm back to this board after spending some time over at NC. I love it here! :flower:

During my hiatus, of sorts, I have rediscovered my curls!! And, my love affair with products, and my diffuser.... I know, I know, all damaging.......

BUT, my hair is shinier, more moisturized and more curly!!!! AND, I have finally figured out co-washing!:cheer:

Here're my questions, because I'm too lazy right now to read through this thread again! What stylers are your favorites right now? Leave-ins, any recommendations? And, What other things aside from oiling, DT's, Protein Treatments, and sating pillowcases can I do to minimize damage? I am NOT giving up my diffuser again!! I LOVE it!! Low setting, of course....

Thanks!
I use a diffuser too much of the time on low to speed drying time. My HG products are Biolage conditioning balm as a leave-in with AG Re:coil over it and then sometimes LA Looks sports gel over it if I want some hold. You asked for other things you can do, moisturizing treatments are probably the most important, certainly more important than protein treatments. If you do a protein treatment ALWAYS follow with moisture.

Curlsgirl
May 19th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Did you use a "smoosh on with your hands" or "spray on from a bottle" type of leave-in? I've noticed that I don't get it on evenly putting it on with my hands, and if I get too much in one area, it's all hard and icky. So instead I dilute conditioner in a plastic cup in the shower and put it on that way. I get more even coverage because it's runnier, and I can just scrunch out any excess and rinse it down the drain. It works for me.

Also, ditto for not combing it .... you'll just end up with FRIZZ if you do!

Hmmmm thanks! I'll have to try this! Do you comb after you rinse your hair or just blot with a towel?

GRU
May 20th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I will try to see on my washday if I can do your method and get your results.

Post back and let us know how it worked for you!

Hmmmm thanks! I'll have to try this! Do you comb after you rinse your hair or just blot with a towel?

It depends on what my clumps are looking like, and the only thing I can think of that affects that is how the planets are lined up on any given day (in other words, no rhyme or reason that I can tell!).

If they're clumping well, I'll just do a modified "plop" with my turbie-twist towel. If they seem pretty scattered, I'll go ahead and comb again with my wide-tooth comb, which seems counterintuitive (because we know that combing makes it frizz when it's dry) but it actually promotes good clumping for me by aligning all the hair strands with their little curl-buddies instead of striking out on their own.

Let me know how it works for you too!

illumina
May 20th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Just checking in. My hair hovers somewhere around the 2c/ 3a boundary. Been trying CO/ CG for a couple of weeks and there's definitely more spiralling than previously. This makes me very happy :)

Curlsgirl
May 20th, 2010, 05:34 AM

It depends on what my clumps are looking like, and the only thing I can think of that affects that is how the planets are lined up on any given day (in other words, no rhyme or reason that I can tell!).

If they're clumping well, I'll just do a modified "plop" with my turbie-twist towel. If they seem pretty scattered, I'll go ahead and comb again with my wide-tooth comb, which seems counterintuitive (because we know that combing makes it frizz when it's dry) but it actually promotes good clumping for me by aligning all the hair strands with their little curl-buddies instead of striking out on their own.

Let me know how it works for you too!Yeah I know what you mean. I can't tell any rhyme or reason either. I don't plop, never has worked well for me. I did try the mixing the conditioner with water last night as my "final rinse" and then blotted with a towel, applied AG re:coil like I always do but only finger combed a bit and then some gel and diffused until about 80% dry because I was going to church. I got really good curl formation! I think I am going to like this way! I also sprayed with some hairspray (haven't done that in a long time but I read where one person was having good results with that) after diffusing and that seemed to hold the curls better. I just sprayed lightly then scrunched the crunch out a bit when it was all dry. It's pretty good this morning after sleeping on it too. I have really struggled to keep my curl spirals the longer my hair gets. It's much better in the summer though! :cheese:

Just checking in. My hair hovers somewhere around the 2c/ 3a boundary. Been trying CO/ CG for a couple of weeks and there's definitely more spiralling than previously. This makes me very happy :)Hey! Nice to meet ya!!! Great the CO/CG is working good for you!

GRU
May 21st, 2010, 05:00 AM
I got really good curl formation! I think I am going to like this way!

Glad it worked for you!

Just be careful with using hairspray if you're not using shampoo -- not sure if it will build up or not?:confused:

And my "plop" is really more of a convenience thing than anything else... I use a turbie-twist towel, but my hair is too long to all fit in it the way it's "supposed" to. So what I do instead is just bend over upside down and trap my hair ends all into the big part of the turbie, then lift the turbie to add the rest of my length to it. Then while that's soaking up some of my drips, I go ahead and get dressed.

My hair is never as dried as the turbie-twist commercials claim :rolleyes: but it's a lot more convenient than getting dressed with a HUGE towel wrapped around my head! ;)

Curlsgirl
May 21st, 2010, 05:55 AM
Glad it worked for you!

Just be careful with using hairspray if you're not using shampoo -- not sure if it will build up or not?:confused:

And my "plop" is really more of a convenience thing than anything else... I use a turbie-twist towel, but my hair is too long to all fit in it the way it's "supposed" to. So what I do instead is just bend over upside down and trap my hair ends all into the big part of the turbie, then lift the turbie to add the rest of my length to it. Then while that's soaking up some of my drips, I go ahead and get dressed.

My hair is never as dried as the turbie-twist commercials claim :rolleyes: but it's a lot more convenient than getting dressed with a HUGE towel wrapped around my head! ;)

Oh I know about the buildup! And I don't use much hairspray and I always use shampoo. CO never really worked for me. I use diluted shampoo in a CWC.

Heidi_234
May 22nd, 2010, 11:57 PM
:agree:
I do. There's no reason they shouldn't work on curly hair.

talecon
May 24th, 2010, 12:51 AM
im trying to stay away from the flat iron and since its hot and humid out, if I straightened my hair it would just end up frizzing up anyway. BUT (there's always a but) I recently trimmed my bangs. looks good straight but not curly. Now I'm thinking I'm going to have to keep flat ironing my bangs straight until it grows long enough to keep all my hair curly during the summer

illumina
May 25th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Just thought I'd show off my success with the CG method:

CO, no leave-in, scrunched, plopped, air-dried
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5580&pictureid=72903

CO, Jason gel scrunched in, plopped, air dried
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5580&pictureid=72904

And before CG. CWC, air-dried, brushed. The ends were in a terrible state so I've had a little trim since then. About an inch, I couldn't face any more!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5580&pictureid=72906

Rainchants
May 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I hope, this question hadn't been asked much: My locks are getting more and more less curly with length. I already tried CO-washes for a month, I am not combing and brushing anymore, but it doesn't work. So what can I do?

illumina
May 25th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Have you tried scrunching and plopping? I find it works for me, but it doesn't for everyone. For more information see http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

KBG
May 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM
hi! I'm finding that strand thickness (rather lack thereof) is trumping curl size. My daughter is a type 3-something and I am at type 4. We both have fine strands and our hair does best kept in braids most of the time.

Longer hair helps a lot. The weight and length help for control as long as some sort of styling product is added. ...Still sleeping on loose hair is a recipe for tangles for us both & a big nono.

OTOH my mom has type 3 hair with thick strands and has a lot less tangling.

No huge eureka :lol:...'just trying to figure it all out and share as I go.

Barniie
May 28th, 2010, 11:29 PM
alongside with the scrunch and plop, is there any other things i can do to bring out my curls? xxx

thriftesfai
May 29th, 2010, 12:00 AM
This is a looong thread, I'm going to dedicate a day just to read this whole thing LOL! A thread where I belong, I love it!

OperaTeacherMom
May 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Jessica, a newbie here but not new to curls, those have been my constant companion :) I'll read through this thread another day, but thought I'd say hi!

Barniie
May 31st, 2010, 01:55 AM
Curlsgirl, do you have a picture of your curls to share with us? Im sure everyone would appreciate it!

lailmil
May 31st, 2010, 04:21 AM
I hope, this question hadn't been asked much: My locks are getting more and more less curly with length. I already tried CO-washes for a month, I am not combing and brushing anymore, but it doesn't work. So what can I do?

Rainchants, try glycerine or linumseed gel, it should work ;)
Also, when you wash your hair, use plopping method for dry it

Rainchants
May 31st, 2010, 06:53 AM
Thanks, illumina! I've already tried plopping a few months ago, but I think, I'll start it again.

Thank you, lailmil! I'll try both ways. Where do you get your glycerine and linumseed gel?

lailmil
May 31st, 2010, 09:35 AM
I make my own linum seed boiling a cup of water and a full tablespoon of linum seeds until it's a gel.
I find glycerine in a french site (very good for natural supplies and oils), but if you don't mind if it isn't natural then you can find it in every drugstore ;)

curlylocks85
May 31st, 2010, 08:23 PM

Well, I tried it. I also did a deep conditioner as I always do and I had alright results. My hair likes to expand at the canopy even with water and conditioner so I was not able to get my comb through all of the way. However, I did like the CO of just my scalp. I think I will alternate with that and the CWC and see how it goes.

GRU
May 31st, 2010, 10:40 PM
Well, I tried it. I also did a deep conditioner as I always do and I had alright results. My hair likes to expand at the canopy even with water and conditioner so I was not able to get my comb through all of the way. However, I did like the CO of just my scalp. I think I will alternate with that and the CWC and see how it goes.

The part about your canopy has me confused. Did you start detangling at the bottom of your hair and then work your way up? Or did you start at the top and try to work your way down?

If you're not getting your hair detangled enough that you can pull a wide-toothed comb from roots to ends, do you just leave it all matted together? :confused:

curlylocks85
June 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
The part about your canopy has me confused. Did you start detangling at the bottom of your hair and then work your way up? Or did you start at the top and try to work your way down?

If you're not getting your hair detangled enough that you can pull a wide-toothed comb from roots to ends, do you just leave it all matted together? :confused:

No, I detangled from the bottom up. I probably just did not do it right. I had a very stressful week.

Debra83
June 1st, 2010, 11:24 PM
Wind and sun combo. My new frizz fighting product should be here tomorrow...it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4366&pictureid=73477

TerraD
June 3rd, 2010, 12:45 AM
Curly girl checking in! Summer is here and I can wear ginormous curly styles!:cheese:

GRU
June 3rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
Curly girl checking in! Summer is here and I can wear ginormous curly styles!:cheese:

Is there any other kind? LOL

ItalianFlower
June 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Question to my fellow curlies: does your mood affect your curl? It seems like when I'm depressed, my curls are limp and lackluster, but on days when I'm feeling more 'peppy', they're bright, tight, and springy. I do the same routine every day, even when I don't feel like it, so it's not like, "oh I'm having a bad day, I'm not gonna do my hair."

Rainchants
June 5th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I make my own linum seed boiling a cup of water and a full tablespoon of linum seeds until it's a gel.
I find glycerine in a french site (very good for natural supplies and oils), but if you don't mind if it isn't natural then you can find it in every drugstore ;)

Thank you! (:

ItalianFlower, yes, I noticed that too.

DonyaleM
June 5th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Anyone hiding their curls for the summer? It gets sooooo hot wearing my hair down and curly for the summer. In the winter time I love it, but in the summer I just get overheated quickly!

DonyaleM
June 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Question to my fellow curlies: does your mood affect your curl? It seems like when I'm depressed, my curls are limp and lackluster, but on days when I'm feeling more 'peppy', they're bright, tight, and springy. I do the same routine every day, even when I don't feel like it, so it's not like, "oh I'm having a bad day, I'm not gonna do my hair."

For me, it might be the opposite. My curls affect my mood. On my "good" curl days I'm definitely in a better mood than on my bad curl days.

Belisarius
June 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Nope, never noticed that.

curlylocks85
June 5th, 2010, 12:58 PM
GRU - I tried it again and this time I did have success. I had to do it in sections because of how thick my hair is toward my scalp area. My hair felt very nice afterward.

I was wondering do you see a lot of shed hairs while combing, because I did?

curls2grow
June 5th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Anyone hiding their curls for the summer? It gets sooooo hot wearing my hair down and curly for the summer. In the winter time I love it, but in the summer I just get overheated quickly!Yes, I am. I got a nice trim about a month ago and my curls were looking great. But I was needing to use too much product to keep the curls from frizzing all day and my hair was feeling to producty. So I am starting bun/updo season for me, likely to last through mid-September. Will be a nice change not to wet my hair everyday for good curls.

GRU
June 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
GRU - I tried it again and this time I did have success. I had to do it in sections because of how thick my hair is toward my scalp area. My hair felt very nice afterward.

I was wondering do you see a lot of shed hairs while combing, because I did?

Oh, yeah, DEFINITELY have to detangle in small sections -- there is no way in heck I could detangle my hair if I didn't do it in one-inch sections! I'm glad that you were able to get it to work!

As for shedding, I get a TON of hair in my shower, both from rinsing and from detangling/combing (thank goodness for those little plastic drain cover things that catch the hair before it goes down the drain!). However, since I'm not handling my hair at all (or at least very rarely) during the day, I don't find as many shed hairs around the house (or my office) as I used to -- anything that gets shed in the course of the day just "sticks" there for the rest of the day because it's all caught up and curled around with its spiral buddies. And since I don't brush my hair at all, I don't have all those shed hairs stuck in the brush that I used to get.

The typical head sheds 100 hairs a day, and I don't think I've ever seen more than that in my shower drain. The biggest thing is if you feel yourself BREAKING or PLUCKING your hair as you detangle it. If it's just hair that was already loose, that's no big deal. But if you have to YANK it out of a tangle, then you need to use more conditioner and an even smaller section.

Amelia
June 7th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Anyone hiding their curls for the summer? It gets sooooo hot wearing my hair down and curly for the summer. In the winter time I love it, but in the summer I just get overheated quickly!

I'm hiding mine ;) I was just combing my hair last friday after my shower and I already felt like I was wearing a blanket around my shoulder and back. Up season already started a few months ago, and it will continue until October (?).

I've been enjoying buns like there's no tomorrow. I used to do this faux French twist but my hair is already touching the beginning of my back. I had to change! Now i'm putting all of my hair away in awesome buns. I'm in love with the Equilibrium bun that makes me feel like i'm not wearing anything:happydance:

Athena's Owl
June 7th, 2010, 02:16 AM

not exactly. instead of wearing contained winter buns, I wear styles that have curly ends being exuberant all over the place and off my neck/back.

but it's not warm enough to worry about that. next month, i will be.

hairg33k
June 7th, 2010, 08:03 AM
After what seems like forever, I think I finally found the trick to making my hair curl a lot more than wurl! Either I CO or CWC, then afterwards I put on some leave-in conditioner (i think this is what my hair loves), AVG and a bit of mousse on my hair for the way the mousse smells (coconut - yum!). Then I scrunch my hair and it turns out a lot curlier than it ever has - it's fantastic because wurly always seems to be in the middle and i'm never sure what to do with it, so i'm enjoying more curls! Just thought i'd share :)

curlylocks85
June 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Oh, yeah, DEFINITELY have to detangle in small sections -- there is no way in heck I could detangle my hair if I didn't do it in one-inch sections! I'm glad that you were able to get it to work!

As for shedding, I get a TON of hair in my shower, both from rinsing and from detangling/combing (thank goodness for those little plastic drain cover things that catch the hair before it goes down the drain!). However, since I'm not handling my hair at all (or at least very rarely) during the day, I don't find as many shed hairs around the house (or my office) as I used to -- anything that gets shed in the course of the day just "sticks" there for the rest of the day because it's all caught up and curled around with its spiral buddies. And since I don't brush my hair at all, I don't have all those shed hairs stuck in the brush that I used to get.

The typical head sheds 100 hairs a day, and I don't think I've ever seen more than that in my shower drain. The biggest thing is if you feel yourself BREAKING or PLUCKING your hair as you detangle it. If it's just hair that was already loose, that's no big deal. But if you have to YANK it out of a tangle, then you need to use more conditioner and an even smaller section.

Luckily, none of the hairs was attached to my head. I just did not realize how many were being caught in my hair.

I do finger comb and try to loosen my hair enough so that I do not have to yank. If that happens I will just go back and use more conditioner, finger comb, and get it until it is ready to comb without trouble, like you said.

GRU
June 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Luckily, none of the hairs was attached to my head. I just did not realize how many were being caught in my hair.

It really looks like a TON when you see it all there in one time and place, doesn't it? I was sick in bed last week, and at one point went three days without taking a shower. The fur-pile was HUGE in the shower on the fourth day, but that's just because it was three days' worth of shedding all at once. (I had my hair in an elastic while I was sick, so even if hair shed while I was in bed, it was still stuck in my ponytail.)

I do finger comb and try to loosen my hair enough so that I do not have to yank. If that happens I will just go back and use more conditioner, finger comb, and get it until it is ready to comb without trouble, like you said.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out! Glad it's working out for you! :cheese:

emmabovary
June 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM
When I drag my fingers gently through my hair, I get a handful of broken off hairs with me. Every time. And they all have what looks like a white dot at the top. I was hoping they were pulled out at the roots, because they are really long (to be from my hair, that is!). Now I'm worried that all those hairs have been broken from all over :(

GRU
June 7th, 2010, 12:00 PM
When I drag my fingers gently through my hair, I get a handful of broken off hairs with me. Every time. And they all have what looks like a white dot at the top. I was hoping they were pulled out at the roots, because they are really long (to be from my hair, that is!). Now I'm worried that all those hairs have been broken from all over :(

Sounds like you're talking about "normal shed hairs" EB. I'm assuming that you're not actually feeling these be "plucked" out, right? If you're not "yanking" on them and breaking them that way, and if you're not feeling them be "plucked" out, then you're just dealing with the typical hairs that are shed every day as part of the normal growth cycle.

Debra83
June 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM
new leave in and scrunched. I think I'm seeing that there is not as much shrinkage now as there was when it was shorter. Or, maybe it is just because I haven't checked out my curls in pics for awhile, and it is longer than I remember it. One day, I hope, I will have waist length curly hair!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4366&pictureid=73878

09robiha
June 8th, 2010, 03:25 AM
hey guys :poot: just checkin in I havent been around for a while lol. hope everyone is doing well and I should have some pictures of my new hair when I get it cut at weekened!

curlytm
June 8th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new to the LHC and I'm definitely a curly! :) Glad to see there's a thread for us. Hope you're all well and having a good week!

emmabovary
June 8th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Sounds like you're talking about "normal shed hairs" EB. I'm assuming that you're not actually feeling these be "plucked" out, right? If you're not "yanking" on them and breaking them that way, and if you're not feeling them be "plucked" out, then you're just dealing with the typical hairs that are shed every day as part of the normal growth cycle.

Well, since they have white dots at the top I was wondering if they might be broken off hairs instead of just shed... or maybe all shed hairs are broken off, I'm clueless :o

Quixii
June 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Similar to 09robiha, I just wanted to check in and say hi. I've been reading the new posts in this thread but haven't had much to contribute. :o
My waves/curls have been more wavy and less curly now that it's summer, but that tends to happen. My hair doesn't like summer. >.<

I'm officially cone and sulfate free, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay that way. I've been using that newish Tresemme naturals (http://www.tresemme.com/naturals/) conditioner and some organic shampoo (just on my scalp, I never shampoo the length any more). But yeah, it seems to make my hair pretty happy.
Now that it's summer I may actually try oiling and stuff. I keep saying that, but I have much less excuse now. xD I don't really want to become dependent on products (I love being able to just wash and let air dry my hair), but if anyone has a suggestion for something that their hair just absolutely loves, maybe I'll try it out. At least for the summer, which, as I mentioned, my hair doesn't like.

But yeah. There's your blabber-post from Quixii. xD

Belisarius
June 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Well, different people like different products.As far as oiling goes, coconut is most popular than jojoba and then olive i think. But some then prefer oils from nuts and so on.
If you have time you can try doing cassia?

LadyJennifer
June 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Well, since they have white dots at the top I was wondering if they might be broken off hairs instead of just shed... or maybe all shed hairs are broken off, I'm clueless :o
white dots at the tops would be the roots:)

GlassEyes
June 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM
new leave in and scrunched. I think I'm seeing that there is not as much shrinkage now as there was when it was shorter. Or, maybe it is just because I haven't checked out my curls in pics for awhile, and it is longer than I remember it. One day, I hope, I will have waist length curly hair!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4366&pictureid=73878
That looks nice! :D Well, from what I can see, anyway--photo is kind of dark/blurry, at leas ton my monitor. But still!

GRU
June 8th, 2010, 06:37 PM

white dots at the tops would be the roots:)

Like LJ said, the white dots at the root-end of your hair are the hair root that your scalp "kicked out of the house" when it shed the hair. See picture here: http://www.scalar.co.jp/gallery/img/gallery/m03b.jpg and see explanation here: http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/the-hair-growth-cycle.html

When you hear people complain about "white dots" on hair being damage and breaking points, they are almost always talking about dots closer to the ends of their hair (the bottom end, not the scalp end), where the hair has been physically damaged, and the white dot is a broken or smooshed part of the hair.

If you're not getting that "plucked out" feeling from a hair being literally ripped out of your scalp, then a hair with a white ball on the scalp end of it is just a typical shed hair.

talecon
June 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM
just came from walgreens, I bought myself two packets of that henna and placenta deep conditioner (it was buy one get one free) I've heard about it before but never tried it and I ran out of queen helenes cholesterol treatment and they didn't have it at walgreens so I figured I would try that. It looks like this
http://media.onsugar.com/files/ed3/192/1922153/48_2009/36922deb1634148b_Hask-Henna-N-Placenta.jpg
and I also bought a carefree curl leave in conditioner. Since its raining today my hair was feeling frizzy so I figured I'd try a leave-in, also because my daughter is getting some curlies. She's a year old and I think she's going to be a future curly hair. Its not quite long yet but after a few days her curls fall flat so I wanted to try something in her hair to boost her curls up again. Seems to have worked well.
Has anyone tried these products?

oh and the carefree curl thing I bought looks like this
http://www.nappykitchen.com/modules/myReviews/images/shots/care_free_curl_gold.gif

emmabovary
June 9th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Like LJ said, the white dots at the root-end of your hair are the hair root that your scalp "kicked out of the house" when it shed the hair. See picture here: http://www.scalar.co.jp/gallery/img/gallery/m03b.jpg and see explanation here: http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/the-hair-growth-cycle.html

When you hear people complain about "white dots" on hair being damage and breaking points, they are almost always talking about dots closer to the ends of their hair (the bottom end, not the scalp end), where the hair has been physically damaged, and the white dot is a broken or smooshed part of the hair.

If you're not getting that "plucked out" feeling from a hair being literally ripped out of your scalp, then a hair with a white ball on the scalp end of it is just a typical shed hair.

Phew :) Thanks! I know white dots are typically damage at the ends, I have those too. I was just worried that I had them all over my hair and that I actually have major breakage. Which is silly because my hair is quite strong. :o Anyhow, thanks for the help :D

09robiha
June 9th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Similar to 09robiha, I just wanted to check in and say hi. I've been reading the new posts in this thread but haven't had much to contribute. :o
My waves/curls have been more wavy and less curly now that it's summer, but that tends to happen. My hair doesn't like summer. >.<

I'm officially cone and sulfate free, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay that way. I've been using that newish Tresemme naturals (http://www.tresemme.com/naturals/) conditioner and some organic shampoo (just on my scalp, I never shampoo the length any more). But yeah, it seems to make my hair pretty happy.
Now that it's summer I may actually try oiling and stuff. I keep saying that, but I have much less excuse now. xD I don't really want to become dependent on products (I love being able to just wash and let air dry my hair), but if anyone has a suggestion for something that their hair just absolutely loves, maybe I'll try it out. At least for the summer, which, as I mentioned, my hair doesn't like.

But yeah. There's your blabber-post from Quixii. xD

Hi Quixii long time no see! your new sig pic is absolutly stunning I am so jeloussss!! LOL. If you really wanted to try a product all i would recommend is aloe vera gel or a curl creme as there pretty simple and only take an extra minute or so to rake through.

Quixii
June 9th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Hi Quixii long time no see! your new sig pic is absolutly stunning I am so jeloussss!! LOL. If you really wanted to try a product all i would recommend is aloe vera gel or a curl creme as there pretty simple and only take an extra minute or so to rake through.
Hiya! :D
Yeah. Currently if I want to use any product I'll use Aloe vera gel, which does seem to work fairly well for me. I'll just never shake the feeling that there could be something better. :shrug:

09robiha
June 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hiya! :D
Yeah. Currently if I want to use any product I'll use Aloe vera gel, which does seem to work fairly well for me. I'll just never shake the feeling that there could be something better. :shrug:

personally I use several products. I use a hard hold gel (Garnier), a curl creme (Boots) and have about 4 differant conditioners that I rotate beacause I always think I can find something better!! I never had any look with Aloe Vera not enough hold for me :(

Athena's Owl
June 9th, 2010, 02:02 PM
AVG isn't a hard enough hold for me either, and the air up here is too dry to have extra humectants in my hair for most of the year

my hard hold gel of choice is Herbal Essences Set Me Up, which holds with polyquaternium-4. I find that PvP gels don't hold as well and feel ... like i have a layer of dust on my hair after i scrunch out the crunch.

09robiha
June 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
AVG isn't a hard enough hold for me either, and the air up here is too dry to have extra humectants in my hair for most of the year

my hard hold gel of choice is Herbal Essences Set Me Up, which holds with polyquaternium-4. I find that PvP gels don't hold as well and feel ... like i have a layer of dust on my hair after i scrunch out the crunch.

I really want to try that but alas i am her in the uk :(

Curlsgirl
June 10th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Curlsgirl, do you have a picture of your curls to share with us? Im sure everyone would appreciate it!Oops sorry just saw this! I need to take a current pic (I am SOOOOOOOO bad about that!) but if you want to see me a friend request you can see my picture album!

Anyone hiding their curls for the summer? It gets sooooo hot wearing my hair down and curly for the summer. In the winter time I love it, but in the summer I just get overheated quickly! I need to do this again. It has gotten hot way earlier here this year! I am DYING! ;)

Gilraen
June 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Yaayyy! Summer curls! I've discovered that if I use a ton of detangler (Kinky Curly Knot Today), Curl Keeper, and gel (LaBella), with occasional oilings, I get great hair. Soft, bouncy, and pretty much without frizz. My only problem is that my curls improve their pattern when I consistently wear my hair curly, but since my hair is getting longer I end up braiding most of the time. Bummer. :(

OperaTeacherMom
June 12th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I'm definitely keeping my summer curls, but then again my hair isn't even shoulder length yet. I think today I'm going to try not using any leave in conditioner, the dewpoint has been NUTS over here recently, in the 80s most of the time, so I think some of my frizzies have been due to being overly humid from the combo of too much conditioner and the air.

LadyJennifer
June 12th, 2010, 09:59 AM
We have head upper-90-degree heat with high humidity and heat advisories lately, so if I go outside it's definitely with my hair up! It's so thick and hot on my neck otherwise!

OperaTeacherMom
June 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I finally decided to just let my hair air dry with no product today so I could more accurately figure out the type! The hair underneath actually looks and feels fantastic, my canopy not so much. I am thinking mostly 3a with some 2c in the canopy, does that sound about right? I'm wondering if that means my hair will curl more as it grows out, since the canopy doesn't really curl at the root...

http://images12.fotki.com/v531/photos/9/1670929/8780729/921_0348-vi.jpg

http://images116.fotki.com/v1596/photos/9/1670929/8780729/921_0345-vi.jpg

My henna actually showed up some in the side view, yay!

LadyJennifer
June 12th, 2010, 05:14 PM
That sounds about right. I'd just go with 3a.
Your hair is gorgeous, btw!

OperaTeacherMom
June 12th, 2010, 06:29 PM
That sounds about right. I'd just go with 3a.
Your hair is gorgeous, btw!

Thank you! I think 3a is probably close to right, the top gets 3a-ish when I use gel. I get so annoyed by it sometimes, I never realized it curled quite so well in the back since I can't really see it :rolleyes: Can't wait to see it curly and LONG! You and the other ladies here are really inspiring me and making it hard to wait!

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2010, 09:12 PM

Or sticky. Really, really sticky.

I have on PVP gel I like, and it's not as good as the one I have with polyquaternium-4. I use aussie's volume one (ironically). I also have La Bella's extreme hold gel. which I now only use if I'm putting my hair up--it has PVP too.

Also, OperaTeacherMom, I'd say 3a too. Not all curlies have a lot of root curl--I'm a 3b, and if I have product in it, my roots are flat. xD; And I can't be bothered enough to change it all too often.

09robiha
June 13th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Or sticky. Really, really sticky.

I have on PVP gel I like, and it's not as good as the one I have with polyquaternium-4. I use aussie's volume one (ironically). I also have La Bella's extreme hold gel. which I now only use if I'm putting my hair up--it has PVP too.

Also, OperaTeacherMom, I'd say 3a too. Not all curlies have a lot of root curl--I'm a 3b, and if I have product in it, my roots are flat. xD; And I can't be bothered enough to change it all too often.

Glasseyes! not seen you around here fore a while - if i remeber correctly you were having trouble with your curls - is it going any better?

GlassEyes
June 13th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Glasseyes! not seen you around here fore a while - if i remeber correctly you were having trouble with your curls - is it going any better?
Oh, yeah. Perfectly fine, actually. I just needed to find a good gel--which I got thanks to Athena's Owl's posts, actually. :p Now my hair behaves the way I like it.

Siava
June 13th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I finally decided to just let my hair air dry with no product today so I could more accurately figure out the type! The hair underneath actually looks and feels fantastic, my canopy not so much. I am thinking mostly 3a with some 2c in the canopy, does that sound about right? I'm wondering if that means my hair will curl more as it grows out, since the canopy doesn't really curl at the root...

http://images12.fotki.com/v531/photos/9/1670929/8780729/921_0348-vi.jpg

http://images116.fotki.com/v1596/photos/9/1670929/8780729/921_0345-vi.jpg

My henna actually showed up some in the side view, yay!

I think you are correct in your assessment. I'm thinking your hair will be curlier at the bottom and less so at the roots as it grows out. Mine is the same way although my 3a hair was a tad more curlier than yours at that length, but still is somewhat looser at the roots as is yours. You have some gorgeous hair. Oh my. Can't wait to see what it looks like as it gets longer. Keep up posted!

Chamomile betty
June 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Your hair is just beautiful OperaTeacherMom.

Athena's Owl
June 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Oh, yeah. Perfectly fine, actually. I just needed to find a good gel--which I got thanks to Athena's Owl's posts, actually. :p Now my hair behaves the way I like it.

Haha I said in my blog that I could just talk about how I apply live curly, live free to my hair and it would be so specific it could only work for me and you. :)

OperaTeacherMom
June 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM
You have some gorgeous hair. Oh my. Can't wait to see what it looks like as it gets longer. Keep up posted!

Your hair is just beautiful OperaTeacherMom.

:oops::crush:

Aww ya'll are makin me blush! I should show some before pictures so you ladies can get an idea of just how bad it was pre-CG. It barely held curl at all, and second day hair was pretty awful. Can't wait to grow it out and see how pretty it is then!

Chia Pet
June 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hey, it's been absolutely forever since I posted anything. I'm still feeling new at this site and I don't even think I've posted pics yet.

Quixli, your hair is AMAZING. I didn't think it was possible to have that kind of curl and be that long.

I've been trying to catch up on this thread, I'm taking lots of notes. I'll probably find the answers I need by reviewing. When I started LHC and learned about baking soda and vinegar washing I went to just that. I am so excited to be able to make my own stuff but I never perfected a Conditioner replacement so I skipped that for awhile and now my hair is very dry and damaged at the ends. I've gone back to product till I can get a better routine.

Also, my hair is nearly waist length and I've lost my big hair. I miss it so much but my dream has been waist length. Will layering help? I also have to figure out what to do in front when I have a cowlick at my hairline. My hair is absolutely flat.

Any advice before I unload all my problems on a hairdresser? How do I get pouffy curls vs length? some sort of framing around the face vs having to style bangs? Thanks for letting me vent and obsess.

Quixii
June 13th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Quixli, your hair is AMAZING. I didn't think it was possible to have that kind of curl and be that long.
Thanks so much. :D

GlassEyes
June 13th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Haha I said in my blog that I could just talk about how I apply live curly, live free to my hair and it would be so specific it could only work for me and you. :)
:lol: Essentially.

I'm beginning to get curious about LCLF. Maybe I ought to invest in it.

Athena's Owl
June 14th, 2010, 12:12 AM
When I started LHC and learned about baking soda and vinegar washing I went to just that. I am so excited to be able to make my own stuff but I never perfected a Conditioner replacement so I skipped that for awhile and now my hair is very dry and damaged at the ends. I've gone back to product till I can get a better routine.

what were your reasons for stopping conditioner?

SlightlySoprano
June 14th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Are there any shortie wurlies out there (2c/3a) that can't stand their hair down? My hair at this length (I had it chopped about a month ago from APL to the nape of my neck, now its about shoulder length) and I CAN'T STAND IT its constantly in my face!! arghhh

Athena's Owl
June 14th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I remember that length! it was in the last century, but i remember it!

it's irritating, but a few months of your hair up will solve it i bet! :)

Nae
June 14th, 2010, 07:12 PM
SlightlySoprano, I am with you on the annoying length stage. It is ALWAYS in my face. I have to wear it up all the time and then when I do end up taking it down the one bun wave is so deep the ends won't lay flat/down or even point towards the floor. :rolleyes: Grrrr, annoying!!!! Ah well, onwards and upwards I always say!

hoolahooper
June 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
My hair idol has always been veronica lake. Now that I'm doing WO my hair is getting wavier and wavier. But darker blonde unfortunately

Curlsgirl
June 15th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Are there any shortie wurlies out there (2c/3a) that can't stand their hair down? My hair at this length (I had it chopped about a month ago from APL to the nape of my neck, now its about shoulder length) and I CAN'T STAND IT its constantly in my face!! arghhh

Not now of course but gosh I remember! It lasted for quite a while for me so just be patient! It's totally worth it!

Belisarius
June 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Yep, I have the same. I am so wanting it to be in my back. But well, that might take a while.

SlightlySoprano
June 21st, 2010, 12:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/deepd0wninside/Photoon2010-06-18at1840.jpg

Very irritating length... BUT I have managed to braid it, so it will stay out of my face

GROW HAIR GROW!!!

It seems that when my hair is shorter it's less curly?

Bller
June 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/deepd0wninside/Photoon2010-06-18at1840.jpg

Very irritating length... BUT I have managed to braid it, so it will stay out of my face

GROW HAIR GROW!!!

We have very similar hair types, although mine is a bit longer, the texture is the same as you`res. Do you have any special carrying procedure that you use to keep it as untangled as possible ?

Bller
June 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM
This is mine, i was a bit wet because it was raining, and this is the only picture i have from the back, i`ll try to make a few tomorrow.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Corpsegrinder-666/125.jpg?t=1277149996

Amelia
June 22nd, 2010, 03:06 AM
I'm sorry for today's post, for it is a rant.

My hair just destroyed a bunch of bobby pins, twisting them all into a shapless mess. Also i fear that my hair has out grown two of my hair toys :( i bought these beautiful maori forks, and i just wrapped a braid around it, at it almost disappears. When my hair gets even longer i'm afraid i'll break them :(

Chamomile betty
June 22nd, 2010, 06:54 AM

I remember how hard that stage was. It was always in my face so I wore it up all the time. Just keep wearing your hair up and away from your face. You have very pretty hair and I think it will look great up. Just be patient and think about where you'll be this Fall.

Btw, beautiful hair pictures everyone.

OperaTeacherMom
June 22nd, 2010, 12:46 PM

I've noticed that to be true of mine too, the longer bits are curlier than the top, which is the shortest. When my hair's been long before, I was still brushing it and using cones, it looked truly horrid. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it gets longer! Getting to the point where it's in my face all the time will be a milestone for me LOL.

IStand4u
June 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Wow, have I missed this thread! Everyone's hair looks so good!
BTW, I remember that stage very well, infact, now that I have "face framing" hair (thanks to a stylist who did very well, and don't get me wrong it looks awesome), I have to use a "few" bobby pins to hold it back...

I'm happy to say my hair is longer! By quite a bit too, b4 it was only APL (October), now it's almost waist :)

Stay curly :D

talecon
June 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM

GROW HAIR GROW!!!

looks just like mines. I dont do anything special to mines. cept put it in a messy bun style ponytail and leave a few curlies out. now that its growing a bit longer tho I'm starting to clip half of it up and leave the rest down like I always used to do. I find this look flatters me more. I don't know what the style is actually called. we always just called it half and half :P

OperaTeacherMom
June 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Any other curlies not able to wear a braid without ridiculous amounts of shedding? I did a french braid yesterday without brushing, combing or straightening (was barely able to do it, my hair is not quite SL), and upon taking it out, I lost probably a good 20-30 hairs!

Now I'm all for protective styles, but if I lose more hair taking it out than just leaving well enough alone, it's not very protective, is it? I can't comb or brush dry, and I don't like the look when I put it up wet, so am I pretty much just stuck with no updos for now?

tinti
June 29th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Hi! I just wonder, is there something to do to get hair more curly/wawy, or do you just have to go through the whole breid wile whet/curling iron curl or streightener curl it? I read something about it as a goal, but I just can't figurei t out. I have straight hair with only some sloppy waves, and I'd love it to be more curly or wavy :)

GRU
June 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM
But.... with your hair in a braid, your shed hairs can't actually "shed" themselves. Instead of falling out in your car, on the couch, in the kitchen, etc., they're all stuck in the braid until you take it out.

In other words, that might have just been your "typical daily shed" but you were seeing them all at one time, instead of one here and one there throughout the course of the day (most of which you would never even notice).

BattahZ
June 29th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'm so glad to see the good results from plopping!!! This will make me sound like a total dork, but YEARS ago on another hair site, I shared what I called at the time "the towel trick" with everyone, and it got picked up and run with, and renamed "plopping."

Someone in this thread mentioned thanking whoever invented plopping - you're welcome :) (I probably sound like a jerk, but I AM kind of proud of my contribution to the curly community!).

OperaTeacherMom
June 29th, 2010, 03:51 PM
But.... with your hair in a braid, your shed hairs can't actually "shed" themselves. Instead of falling out in your car, on the couch, in the kitchen, etc., they're all stuck in the braid until you take it out.

In other words, that might have just been your "typical daily shed" but you were seeing them all at one time, instead of one here and one there throughout the course of the day (most of which you would never even notice).

I only wore it for like an hour, and I could feel the individual hairs pull out when I un-did the braid :(

GRU
June 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I only wore it for like an hour, and I could feel the individual hairs pull out when I un-did the braid :(

Okay, so you didn't experience "shedding" from braiding, you had "plucking" from braiding. I can understand that, if your braid was tight or your hair was tangled or whatever. There's a difference between "hair falling out" and "hair being yanked out".

If you want to wear a braid long-term, you can leave in extra conditioner to keep it tangle-free (obviously won't work, though, if you plan on taking the braid out without showering afterward).

OperaTeacherMom
June 29th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Okay, so you didn't experience "shedding" from braiding, you had "plucking" from braiding. I can understand that, if your braid was tight or your hair was tangled or whatever. There's a difference between "hair falling out" and "hair being yanked out".

If you want to wear a braid long-term, you can leave in extra conditioner to keep it tangle-free (obviously won't work, though, if you plan on taking the braid out without showering afterward).

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified what I was saying was happening. It's not really a big deal to me to wear a braid, I kind of hate how my hair looks up anyway, but I figured they're called "protective" styles so they must protect your hair. Guess it's a little more complicated when you're a curly! I'll just wait on the braids for now until they're long enough to stay in for a while, and when I do them I'll follow your advice and use lots more conditioner :)

GRU
June 30th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Guess it's a little more complicated when you're a curly!
That phrase pretty much applies to EVERYTHING hair-related, not just braids! :D

Curlsgirl
June 30th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Any other curlies not able to wear a braid without ridiculous amounts of shedding? I did a french braid yesterday without brushing, combing or straightening (was barely able to do it, my hair is not quite SL), and upon taking it out, I lost probably a good 20-30 hairs!

Now I'm all for protective styles, but if I lose more hair taking it out than just leaving well enough alone, it's not very protective, is it? I can't comb or brush dry, and I don't like the look when I put it up wet, so am I pretty much just stuck with no updos for now?It probably just seems like you are shedding more because of leaving it up all day. The shed hairs have nowhere to go until you take it down then come out seemingly all at once. If you are being careful you will be okay. It is normal to shed around 100 hairs per day by the way.

Hi! I just wonder, is there something to do to get hair more curly/wawy, or do you just have to go through the whole breid wile whet/curling iron curl or streightener curl it? I read something about it as a goal, but I just can't figurei t out. I have straight hair with only some sloppy waves, and I'd love it to be more curly or wavy :)This is mostly a thread for people who have natural curls so probably you would get more ideas to do a search on this on the main forum. You could try plopping to see if you have more curl than you think. There are tons of threads on this. :)

Hotrox
July 2nd, 2010, 02:48 AM
A new curly member checking in :D
:waving:

OperaTeacherMom
July 4th, 2010, 04:14 PM
A new curly member checking in :D
:waving:

Welcome!! Your hair does look very similar to mine, and we're at about the same length too :)

GRU, I just have to say 1000 thank you's to you for turning me on to Sweet Almond Oil! This stuff is fantastic in my hair, I never would have thought I could do any kind of straight up oil after my fail-tastic experiment with coconut oil that left me so greasy my hair almost looked wet.

I just use the tiniest amount to scrunch out the crunch from my new gel (ecostyler, that stuff is awesome too), sometimes mix it with a teensy fingernail scraping of shea butter, and voila, awesomely shiny and bouncy hair! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

MerryKat
July 5th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I have been washing and conditioning with a cone free conditioner and using a coney conditioner as a leave in for the last few weeks while on holiday at the coast where I was wearing my hair loose far more than usual. This way I was able to enjoy my curls for two to three days between washes. My hair seems to accept this form of cone usage.

GRU
July 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
GRU, I just have to say 1000 thank you's to you for turning me on to Sweet Almond Oil! This stuff is fantastic in my hair, I never would have thought I could do any kind of straight up oil after my fail-tastic experiment with coconut oil that left me so greasy my hair almost looked wet.

I just use the tiniest amount to scrunch out the crunch from my new gel (ecostyler, that stuff is awesome too), sometimes mix it with a teensy fingernail scraping of shea butter, and voila, awesomely shiny and bouncy hair! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

Yay! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I'm so glad it works so well for you, too!

You can also give Grapeseed Oil a try -- my hair seems to enjoy both of them pretty much equally.

SlightlySoprano
July 5th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I just recently picked up Garnier Fructise's triple moisture S & C and I just have to say, my hair looks and feels better than it has in AGES!!!

'poo bars just seemed to dry the life out of my ends, even though they were SLS free! This shampoo (with SLS) is still moisturizing (it really doesn't feel stripped, at all) and the conditioner totally encourages my wurlies to be closer to curly! AND its -cone free!

I really like the 3 minute conditioner thingy too!

Has anybody else had luck with this? I hope it continues to work this well!

shell78
July 10th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Hemline suggestions?

I'm due for my 6-month trim and I'm not sure what to do about my hemline.. At BSL (with layers) I loved my U-shape, but now that I'm at my goal length (without layers) I'm not so sure. It may be my hair type. I've seen pictures of hair less curly than mine that comes to a nice taper around the waist / tailbone area. At BSL I thought my ends looked thin which led me to grow the layers out, and now that my ends are nice and thick, I'm wondering if the width at the hemline is too wide to look the way I expected it would.

I'm also missing the curl pattern I had at shorter lengths (pics in album) but I love the length I'm at now. My stylist is both Ouidad and Deva trained - he usually just does a standard U-shape cut on me since I've been growing out, but last trim he did a Deva dry cut on me. Not sure what I should ask for - for example, a deeper U, layers, a carve-and-slice, or even if I should, so I wanted to post a somewhat recent pic (April) and get some opinions.

If you had my hair type and length, what would you do? Photos welcome if you have examples. ('OMG don't change a thing!' works too)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2390&pictureid=70124

Lianna
July 10th, 2010, 09:28 AM
@shell78

"OMG, don't change a thing!!!" ;)

rachelily
July 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hemline suggestions?

I'm due for my 6-month trim and I'm not sure what to do about my hemline.. At BSL (with layers) I loved my U-shape, but now that I'm at my goal length (without layers) I'm not so sure. It may be my hair type. I've seen pictures of hair less curly than mine that comes to a nice taper around the waist / tailbone area. At BSL I thought my ends looked thin which led me to grow the layers out, and now that my ends are nice and thick, I'm wondering if the width at the hemline is too wide to look the way I expected it would.

I'm also missing the curl pattern I had at shorter lengths (pics in album) but I love the length I'm at now. My stylist is both Ouidad and Deva trained - he usually just does a standard U-shape cut on me since I've been growing out, but last trim he did a Deva dry cut on me. Not sure what I should ask for - for example, a deeper U, layers, a carve-and-slice, or even if I should, so I wanted to post a somewhat recent pic (April) and get some opinions.

If you had my hair type and length, what would you do? Photos welcome if you have examples. ('OMG don't change a thing!' works too)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2390&pictureid=70124

OMG don't change a thing! was what I was thinking :)

I hope to goodness my hair can look just 10% as good as yours, and I'd be happy with just that!

GRU
July 10th, 2010, 12:06 PM
@shell78

OMG don't change a thing! was what I was thinking :)

It's already been said twice, so I'll just say "double ditto"!

Honestly, it's gorgeous exactly the way it is, but that's MY opinion, and what matters is what YOU think looks good on you.

If you have photochopping skills, why not practice on a few different styles to see what you think?

It also depends on what styles you like to wear -- anything non-blunt can give you what I call the "stickie-outies" from braids and buns from the shorter parts not staying contained.

To be honest, I think it's going to be gorgeous no matter what you do with it. Gorgeous cannot be denied in any shape or form!!!!!

LadyJennifer
July 10th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Shell78: I think your hair is lovely! However, I'm a fan of a few layers, and if it were my hair, I'd cut in a few blended layers. When my hair was your length, I had a few layers and loved the way it worked with my curl pattern. It made it look curlier somehow.

rachelily
July 10th, 2010, 01:45 PM
It's already been said twice, so I'll just say "double ditto"!

Honestly, it's gorgeous exactly the way it is, but that's MY opinion, and what matters is what YOU think looks good on you.

If you have photochopping skills, why not practice on a few different styles to see what you think?

It also depends on what styles you like to wear -- anything non-blunt can give you what I call the "stickie-outies" from braids and buns from the shorter parts not staying contained.

To be honest, I think it's going to be gorgeous no matter what you do with it. Gorgeous cannot be denied in any shape or form!!!!!

Well said :applause

GRU
July 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Well said :applause

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:D

Quixii
July 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I'm vacationing in Hawaii right now. I was wondering whether my curls would like it or hate it - they seem to like it. My hair looks pretty nice right now. :D

GRU
July 10th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'm vacationing in Hawaii right now. I was wondering whether my curls would like it or hate it - they seem to like it. My hair looks pretty nice right now. :D

A Hawaiian vacation sounds awesome!

How about some pics of "beach hair"???

OperaTeacherMom
July 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Shell, I agree with everyone else, leave it how it is! So pretty!

Quixii, we need pictures!!!!

One thing to love about being a curly: even with not-quite-shoulder length hair, I got away with third day hair today! And not on just a regular day, on a day that I had an audition for a play. I got a compliment on my hair too :) I had professional pictures taken yesterday and they turned out so pretty I put one of them as my new profile pic :)

30isthenewblack
July 10th, 2010, 06:58 PM
@shell78

I agree wholeheartedly with the others. I think your hair is beautiful and the hemline looks healthy and thick. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would just maintain your hem as is. I just have bad memories of a member having beautiful hair and getting a deva cut that went horribly wrong.

CTH3989
July 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I live in Hawaii and my hair loves it here!

girlcat36
July 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I agree, shell78, it's gorgeous! Leave it alone.

30---I remember that salon disaster! She had such beautiful hair before the Deva cut.

ooo
July 11th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I'm a curly too. Although at the moment I'm considering, if I might only be a wavy ;)

Quixii
July 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Well, I put it in a cinnabun when we went to the beach. ^^; Maybe next time I'll leave it down or in a ponytail long enough to get some pictures. I'll at least try to get some freshly dried pictures next time. :)

Witchy
July 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Anyone else have a problem with after-shower frizz? I'll usually shoot my hair with cold water before stepping out, but still it comes out with a halo of frizz. Here's an unreasonably cute piccie for reference:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/926/guinearat.jpg

I've been WO with occasional ACV rinses and coconut oil, and I haven't been brushing the curls out of my hair. The piccie is immediately after a shower with ACV rinse, can't seem to do anything about that halo of frizz.

rachelily
July 11th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Anyone else have a problem with after-shower frizz? I'll usually shoot my hair with cold water before stepping out, but still it comes out with a halo of frizz. Here's an unreasonably cute piccie for reference:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/926/guinearat.jpg

I've been WO with occasional ACV rinses and coconut oil, and I haven't been brushing the curls out of my hair. The piccie is immediately after a shower with ACV rinse, can't seem to do anything about that halo of frizz.

I use jojoba oil on dry hair for frizz, I find it really light and it soaks right in and doesn't make my hair look oily afterwards - it just helps those little hairs stick to the rest of my head better instead of fuzzing out!

GRU
July 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM
The piccie is immediately after a shower with ACV rinse, can't seem to do anything about that halo of frizz.

Glad I looked at the picture... you're talking about your DRY hair being frizzy -- when you said "immediately after a shower" I was thinking you had frizz when you hair was soaking wet!!!

Two things come to mind from that picture:

1. Drying method
and
2. Moisture

1. Drying Method.... what do you do to dry your hair? Do you "towel dry" it by rubbing it with a towel? Do you scrunch-and-plop? Do you do the humongoid towel turban on top of your head? Do you blow-fry it?

2. Curly/Wurly hair N-E-E-D-S moisture. If you're not using conditioner in the shower or afterward (or regular DTs at the very least), you're going to have frizzies and flyaways.