PDA

View Full Version : Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Lady Lilya
November 21st, 2009, 01:13 PM
I use no leave-ins or conditioners.

I just wash it with the shampoo that i feel gets it the cleanest. I spray on some apple cider vinegar and rinse it off completely. I don't like anything left on my hair. I like it to be completely clean.

GlassEyes
November 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM

I just wash it with the shampoo that i feel gets it the cleanest. I spray on some apple cider vinegar and rinse it off completely. I don't like anything left on my hair. I like it to be completely clean.
And using leave-ins makes hair...dirty? :p

I could never do that--my hair would rebel. To each their own.

Curlsgirl
November 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM

Oh my gosh, me too! Before I KNEW I should use a leave-in, my curls were always frizzy, dry and undefined for the most part.

MerryKat
November 23rd, 2009, 04:18 AM
Thanks to you guys and your wonderful comments, I am learning to feed my curls / wurls again. I am moving back to CO and oils and my hair seems very happy. It will take time to get the routine down pat.

I ususally wash on Fridays and wear it loose (or half ups) and curly on Saturday and Sunday and then back to updo's at work. I prefer my updos at work as my hair is not in my way or a distraction.

Friday the weather was miserable and I did not feel like having wet hair, so I only did my wash yesterday. I did a treatment of conditioner (Colgate Apple), grapeseed oil, glycerine, aloe vera gel and a bit of water to thin it down. Plonked this on dry hair, massaged through and bunned for 4 hours. Hair is wavy and quite weighted down but not looking greasy.

I used Indola's 4+4 Blowdry as a leave-in (used to use this a lot when my hair was permed) and drying it in various buns to get is smooth.

missy60
November 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Is that the one recommended by Killer Strands?

I think she recommends different leave ins now, but I think she use to recommend it. That is not what got me using it though another friend of mine uses it, and its a very popular brand in my area. You can go into almost any beauty shop and they carry Kenra products. The ingredients is what really sold me on the product. I did get a product that she recommended it was a daily conditioner by Kera Care and I actually hated it.

jessie58
November 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM

When I was doing WO, I never used anything in my hair after rinsing and would use ACV to rinse sometimes too. I loved the nice clean, shiny feeling after that.
Now I seem to have gone overboard. I use tons of stuff on my hair after washing.

Heidi_234
November 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM

Ditto, every word :p
I mean, by leave in I mean just coconut oil and AVG, but otherwise by hair is a total dry frizzy mess which I learned to hate with passion.

GlassEyes
November 25th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Same. Honestly, I have no idea what I'd do if I lived in the renaissance or middle ages. I'd probably just buzz it all off. :p Though, maybe with the differences in water, I wouldn't need to. :shrug:

Heidi_234
November 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM
You'd be showering once a month, if you're of a noble origin, and less as a simple man :p
I do wander if their hair used to be better or worse than ours nowadays.

GlassEyes
November 25th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Nah, more likely I'd be a slave or killed at birth. :D Along with my family, since I'm mixed, my mother would be in disgrace. : D

Lady Lilya
November 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM
They didn't have all the same technology that we do to do everything for us. But they made an art out of knowing the best ways to do things that they could do.

manderly
November 25th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I am hating my hair's guts right now :nono:

I just haven't been in the mood for all these lame tiny curls I have, so I've been trying to get back to looking more wavy with curls on the end......and all I can seem to do is make frizz and poof, or I have to revert to my flat iron, which I KNOW is killing my hair from the massive S&D's I've been doing.

I know I'm stuck in a vicious cycle right now, but I really am not liking my curls at the moment. Plus, they only look good day 1 and I can't revive them back to their glory no matter what I do. Grrrr.

jessie58
November 25th, 2009, 08:55 PM

I just haven't been in the mood for all these lame tiny curls I have, so I've been trying to get back to looking more wavy with curls on the end......and all I can seem to do is make frizz and poof, or I have to revert to my flat iron, which I KNOW is killing my hair from the massive S&D's I've been doing.

I know I'm stuck in a vicious cycle right now, but I really am not liking my curls at the moment. Plus, they only look good day 1 and I can't revive them back to their glory no matter what I do. Grrrr.

I only ever have day 1 curls, then it's waves with frizz day 2, then its poker straight frizz on day 3. I envy those full time curlies big time.

MerryKat
November 26th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I am still working on the ideal routine for me, but so far I find washing on Friday evenings works best for me.

I am very wurly day 1 (saturday) and by day 2 (sunday) I can revive to almost as wurly, but by day 3 it is frizz and tangles, so I usually brush at the end of the second day and add some leave in and sleep in a scrunchie bun.

Apart from the weekends, I wear it up during the day to work and by tuesday evening I can comfortabley wear it loose in the evenings after taking it out of a bun - it is smooth and silky with nice bun waves as long as I only finger comb once I take the bun out.

Lady Lilya
November 26th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Mine get frizzy when I sleep on them, or my kid plays with my hair. I just wet them and brush them again, and they are like day 1 curls again.

GlassEyes
November 26th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Welcome to the curly world. My hair never looks the same without being wet on day two, and by 'wet' I mean 'soaked with conditioner again'.

It's also possible that you've always had that sort of frizz, and now that you've seen the full curls, it doesn't look right anymore. Or maybe the full curl is starting to be stronger now that it hasn't been held down. Who knows? :shrug: I wash everyday anyway. You might want to look into a microfiber towel--I wash nearly everyday and it cuts down on dry time.

Heidi_234
November 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM
manderly, I feel your pain too. I tend to get frustrated with day 2 hair and just brush it out (which just makes it worse of course!). Did you try to sleep in a silk bonnet? - it works for RCC so well, it might help you too.

rach
November 26th, 2009, 01:03 PM
silk bonnets are great. hair doesn't tangle up at all and you can be rather lazy in the mornings with your hair as a result :p

Copasetic
November 26th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I only ever have day 1 curls, then it's waves with frizz day 2, then its poker straight frizz on day 3. I envy those full time curlies big time.

I am the same way. I have NEVER been able to get decent day 2 hair. I have to rinse my hair every day to keep it acceptable looking.

Belisarius
November 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I am the same way. I have NEVER been able to get decent day 2 hair. I have to rinse my hair every day to keep it acceptable looking.
I have to condition my hair daily too. If I don't the frizz and tangles are horrible. If I don't do it for even longer I also lose so much hair in the shower due to tangles.

manderly
November 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I tend to wiggle out of my sleep cap :roll: I sleep with a scrunchie bun too and that seems to work 80% of the time.

GE, I've got 2 turbie twists :) I'm sure I've always had this frizz, it's just more noticeable since it doesn't form with the other curls.

Who knew being a curly would be such a pain in the ass??

rach
November 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
most things seem to wiggle off my hair at night too.
i use these (http://prettywrap.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=36&osCsid=d6a9b4896d0b1d5eb5315b300aad4688) if it's of any help.

LoversLullaby
November 26th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I always have to rinse my hair everyday if I am not going to be putting it in an updo that day. And I CO wash everyday because if I don't my hair ends up becoming dry and frizzy.
But if I CO wash everyday, my hair is rarely frizzy, and if it is it's really not that noticeable.

Heidi_234
November 27th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Who knew being a curly would be such a pain in the ass??
I knew it, for the most part of my life. :cry::wail:

Heidi_234
November 27th, 2009, 04:54 AM
most things seem to wiggle off my hair at night too.
i use these (http://prettywrap.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=36&osCsid=d6a9b4896d0b1d5eb5315b300aad4688) if it's of any help.
Is it really that good? Worth the money?
I see the Ivory one is for sale, but it's still not that cheap for a piece of silk argh :o

rumi
November 27th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Hi everybody! I just want to introduce myself so I'm not lurkin around. I found this forum about 2 days ago signed straight up and have been eagerly awaiting my account activation since then.

I've got type 3a/b hair which is in pretty good condition and I am a firm believer in the C/O method. I wondered if people could point me to any conversations of care after colouing so I dont have to plough through over 300 pages, and also I heard a lot about using coconut oil at the beginning of this thread so I'm interested in the bast way to use that to tame the frizzies of 3rd day hair.

Thanks everybody :)

rumi
November 27th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Hi everybody! I just want to introduce myself so I'm not lurkin around. I found this forum about 2 days ago signed straight up and have been eagerly awaiting my account activation since then.

I've got type 3a/b hair which is in pretty good condition and I am a firm believer in the C/O method. I wondered if people could point me to any conversations of care after colouing so I dont have to plough through over 300 pages, and also I heard a lot about using coconut oil at the beginning of this thread so I'm interested in the bast way to use that to tame the frizzies of 3rd day hair.

Thanks everybody :)

oh! ps I'm also really interested in Cocoa/Shea Butter aswell as the coconut oil so stories and experiences with them would be great :)

Sia
November 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Hi Rumi!:)

I'm sure many people on this thread will have a lot of useful info about coconut oil/shea butter for you.

I use a little bit of shea butter on my ends when they're dry (especially if I straightened my hair with a hair dryer). I use a lot of melted coconut oil on my whole head before I dye as it may help to protect the hair but otherwise I don't use oils as I find them too heavy.
I also find gel quite drying.
What has really helped me with frizzies is kimberlily's defrizz spray. You'll find the thread if you do a search but I'll give you the recipe here:
"In a 4oz mister, mix the following:

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba
1 tsp glycerin (you can leave it out if you don't have any)
essential oils of choice

Add distilled water until full, then shake. Spray can be used as a detangler, and it encourages wonderful waves especially when used for damp bunning. Tap water can be used, but distilled water is better since it will keep longer. I have hard water, so I never use tap water."

Hope that helps a bit!

rach
November 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Is it really that good? Worth the money?
I see the Ivory one is for sale, but it's still not that cheap for a piece of silk argh :o

holds at the edges and the tie part gives it that extra hold. everything else falls off in bed by maximum 3am in the morning. i move around to much when i sleep hence why i've invested in one.

rach
November 27th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Also catnip seems good to form my curls properly. not sure if that's already been covered here.

Heidi_234
November 27th, 2009, 12:53 PM
holds at the edges and the tie part gives it that extra hold. everything else falls off in bed by maximum 3am in the morning. i move around to much when i sleep hence why i've invested in one.
Thanks,
Enabler!! :evil:

:laugh: :flowers:

Catnip was not strong enough for me. I need pure, 100%, BAQ moisture for my hair. :p

Boudicca
November 29th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Hi curly ladies! After taking the advice of Heidi and Manderly on another thread, I'm now coming to the conclusion that my hair is curly rather than wavy (especially after looking through a lot of your pics on this thread, too).

So, I'm going to try treating my hair like curly hair and see how it responds. If I run my routine past you guys, would you be able to point out any huge mistakes I'm making and recommend any products?

My Weird Hair

My hair is tailbone length with braid waves, thigh length when wet. It loves lots of conditioner, although this does make it very soft and difficult to handle. It frizzes like a maniac. It also seems to absorb moisture when it's humid and gets all big. It is fine and super-flyaway. It always does the opposite of what I want (I'm still not sure how the rollers managed to semi-straighten it). It very 'mould-able', if that's a word. For example, if I twist the wet ends of my hair around my finger for thirty seconds, then it will dry in a ringlet and hold the ringlet for days.

My Routine

At the moment, I wash with small amount of cone-free shampoo and then thoroughly condition with a cone-free conditioner. I braid when the hair is wet (although this is a race against time because it dries super-fast). If I don't braid it, then I look like a banshee. I generally end up wearing a braided bun the next day because my hair is very soft and unmanageable. The braid waves are nice and glossy when I first let them out - but the slightest breeze or movement will start to create frizz in the canopy.

I tried to reduce the amount I washed my hair, but all that happened was that the scalp got greasy and the length got parched and frizzy.

So, do I sound like a curly to you guys? :)

I see from this thread that leave-in conditioner seems to be a popular option. Do you guys use cone-free?

Boudicca
November 29th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Ack - double-post! Sorry

Heidi_234
November 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
As I said before I think you're more curly than you think you are. I remember at first I wasn't ready to let my hair airdry just down because I thought it would turn all poofy awful! I only let it air dry in a rope braid, which did these awesome cork screw curls on my hair.

I think you should try it. Your hair is way too long for the dreaded Triangle of Doom awkwardness. What you might lack is more definition to your curls. What I do is leaving some conditioner in the hair after washing, not rinsing it out. I do my by squish-squashing it in (I wrote about it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=55229) - there's even a video there that shows it lol) to get my curls initially defined.

When I'm done applying the conditioner (btw, I use my thickest thick heavy conditioner for that, my hair is very dry usually), I plop my hair until it's not dripping wet. Then I let it down and apply aloe vera gel and coconut mix (50/50). The coconut oil is a must for me (helps with the dryness alot! I apply more everyday), and mixed with AVG it turns into an efficient frizz-buster. I scrunch my hair up some more to restore curls that might straightened during the AVG/coconut oil application, and let it airdry down (or over the pillow if I wash it in the evening).

That is what I find that works for my curls. Your hair is probably finer than mine, you might find my routine slightly too 'heavy', but I'm sure you'll work it out. Just break the braidwaves addiction, and you'll never be able to go back. :) I can't do ropebraid curls anymore, my natural curls come out ten times better. :D

Good luck!

rumi
November 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hi Rumi!:)

I'm sure many people on this thread will have a lot of useful info about coconut oil/shea butter for you.

I use a little bit of shea butter on my ends when they're dry (especially if I straightened my hair with a hair dryer). I use a lot of melted coconut oil on my whole head before I dye as it may help to protect the hair but otherwise I don't use oils as I find them too heavy.
I also find gel quite drying.
What has really helped me with frizzies is kimberlily's defrizz spray. You'll find the thread if you do a search but I'll give you the recipe here:
"In a 4oz mister, mix the following:

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba
1 tsp glycerin (you can leave it out if you don't have any)
essential oils of choice

Add distilled water until full, then shake. Spray can be used as a detangler, and it encourages wonderful waves especially when used for damp bunning. Tap water can be used, but distilled water is better since it will keep longer. I have hard water, so I never use tap water."

Hope that helps a bit!

Wonderful, thanks so much for the recipie, the jojoba reference is for oil right? I think I may go back through the pages anyway as I'm sure there are lost of great things like this to try out.

I dont think I'll have any problem putting oils on my hair as its very thick and bouncy, if anything it'll help tame it and create some shine. So there isn't any way you need to prepare the butter or oils? Just add as necessary, do they cause damage if you leave them on for extended times? My biggest problem like I said before is the 3rd day the roots are fine but the ends become frizzy and loose their curl, which its probably my own fault as I cant seem to break the habit of combing my hair before bed, even though I know it 's a no-no for curlies. I was hoping to use the oils or butter as a styling product instead of cakeing my hair with chemicals.

The good news is I think I've discovered whats causing the dryness which is that the condtioner I use for CO has 2 of the drying alcohols in it, so I'm on the look out for another. Preferably a nice thick rich one without protiens as I've tried the Strawberries and Cream Alberto Balsam that has proteins and my hair hated it. Until then I'll stick with my Boots own brand as I know it gets it clean.

Does anybody know any good CO conditioners in the UK? Before I used Boots I used Albeto Balsam before realising it contained Cyclomethicone, I've also tried Tesco and Asda's own brand but they seem to dry me out.

Thanks Everybody

GlassEyes
November 29th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I don't know of any, but I think if you pm florenonite, she had a list...I think. XD;

I wish I could be of more help, but I don't live in the UK...yet.

rumi
November 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I wish I could be of more help, but I don't live in the UK...yet.

Oooooo is that a threat or a promise ? lol

GlassEyes
November 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Oooooo is that a threat or a promise ? lol

More threat than promise, but it can be viewed as either. :D

Curlsgirl
November 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Anyone else's hair been kind of dry lately? I seem to not be able to get enough moisture in it. I go through this every winter, guess I'll have to add even more leave-in conditioner. :shrugs:

rumi
November 30th, 2009, 04:53 AM
More threat than promise, but it can be viewed as either. :D

I just found out your a boy!! Why doesn't the little box have gender in it?? Oh and your pics are wonderful :D

rumi
November 30th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Anyone else's hair been kind of dry lately? I seem to not be able to get enough moisture in it. I go through this every winter, guess I'll have to add even more leave-in conditioner. :shrugs:

I discovered a few days ago that my hair loves the cold, especially when it's wet, I let it dry in a freezing draft in front an open window saturday (dont ask, it had to do wi my Boyfriend cigarette smoke and headaches) and it looked amazing, and the look has lasted too. 3 days later it hasn't got greasy at the roots or dry at the ends and it's kept its curl wonderfully with no knots. I've also noticed that I'm not shedding either which usually happens on the third day. I'm so impressed it was worth every shiver!! But that means summers probably going to be hell for me doesn't it :(

LKayL
November 30th, 2009, 05:32 AM
This is a good idea for a thread. My hair is naturally afro mostly 4a, with 4b and 3c in places. It's currently relaxed.
Anyone else on the site with relaxed hair?
:cheese::disco:

LKayL
November 30th, 2009, 05:35 AM

i find that my hair gets drier in winter too. I've been covering it with coconut oil and wearing a satin cap over it indoors, and leaving it overnight.:pumpkin:

Curlsgirl
November 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I added some more coconut oil last night and it looks better this morning. I forget sometimes how much leave-in and oils my hair can take in the winter!

GlassEyes
November 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I just found out your a boy!! Why doesn't the little box have gender in it?? Oh and your pics are wonderful :D
xD; You know, I wonder sometimes if there are people I've had conversations with who still don't realize that. :lol: Thank you--your pictures are lovely as well. Nice loose curls.

Sia
November 30th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Rumi,

To answer your questions:
-yeah, the jojoba in the recipe refers to oil. You don't have to warm it or anything.
-And if I use shea butter (I use refined), I just rub a bit into my hands and it melts on its own. That's it.
-I've never heard of prolonged use of butters or oils actually damaging hair but I do think hair can get over-moisturized. I get build-up if I've used too much.
-Sorry, I don't know of any conditioners in the UK..
:flower:

Boudicca
December 1st, 2009, 03:50 AM
As I said before I think you're more curly than you think you are. I remember at first I wasn't ready to let my hair airdry just down because I thought it would turn all poofy awful! I only let it air dry in a rope braid, which did these awesome cork screw curls on my hair.

I think you should try it. Your hair is way too long for the dreaded Triangle of Doom awkwardness. What you might lack is more definition to your curls. What I do is leaving some conditioner in the hair after washing, not rinsing it out. I do my by squish-squashing it in (I wrote about it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=55229) - there's even a video there that shows it lol) to get my curls initially defined.

When I'm done applying the conditioner (btw, I use my thickest thick heavy conditioner for that, my hair is very dry usually), I plop my hair until it's not dripping wet. Then I let it down and apply aloe vera gel and coconut mix (50/50). The coconut oil is a must for me (helps with the dryness alot! I apply more everyday), and mixed with AVG it turns into an efficient frizz-buster. I scrunch my hair up some more to restore curls that might straightened during the AVG/coconut oil application, and let it airdry down (or over the pillow if I wash it in the evening).

That is what I find that works for my curls. Your hair is probably finer than mine, you might find my routine slightly too 'heavy', but I'm sure you'll work it out. Just break the braidwaves addiction, and you'll never be able to go back. :) I can't do ropebraid curls anymore, my natural curls come out ten times better. :D

Good luck!

Thanks so much for all your advice! :blossom:

'Triangle of Doom' - :D lol. I had to look that up. I've had my hair as short as just below my shoulders before. It doesn't really have the 'oomph' required for the 'Triangle'. It ringlets instead.

I used to do a rope braid a lot on my hair - like you, it gave me lots of ringlets. As you say, I'm going to have to fight the blowzy hair fear and experiment away from the usual braid and rope.

I'm definitely going to try the leave-in conditioner. My hair seemed to respond well to Kimberlily's magical frizz-spray, so I might make that up again, too.

I'm definitely going to try the scrunching and plopping technique you mentioned to see what results I get.

I've been doing some reading on curly hair woes - and I think I also have porous hair, so hopefully these new methods will help that too.

Thanks so much, again :)

Heidi_234
December 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM
You're welcome :) Hope you have good luck with it!

btw, just to clarify, I use regular conditioner as a leave in, it doesn't have to be an actual leave in conditioner. Maybe if a regular conditioner turn out too heavy on your hair, then better go for a leave in instead. Trail and error!

manderly
December 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Heidi saved me from the flat iron :inlove:

She posted a great video on scrunching and product. I have FABULOUS curly hair now. I think I'll surprise you all with how much curlier I am :D

I'm waiting for my camera to charge so I can post "LOOK AT ME" photos :D

manderly
December 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Here are my look at me photos :D This is day 2 hair, slept on so a little mussed.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG2249.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG2251.jpg

And I'm wearing a bumpit here but you can see the curlieness at top:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/Frontafterbumpits.jpg

girlcat36
December 1st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Manderly, your hair is looking so pretty!

PurpleAshes
December 2nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Curly hair looks great on you, Manderly :)

Boudicca
December 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Your hair looks lovely, Manderly :)

jessie58
December 3rd, 2009, 01:25 AM
Manderly, your hair is absolutely gorgeous. It's so funny to see it change from straight, to wavy, to curly now. I think you were a reluctant curly, lol.

prittykitty
December 3rd, 2009, 01:39 AM
Yes, mine has been just terrible today. It is dry, frizzy and seems to look shorter. Is this normal? I am not shedding hair or anything. For some reason when we get below freezing temperatures my hair seems to do this.

Curlsgirl
December 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Heidi saved me from the flat iron :inlove:

She posted a great video on scrunching and product. I have FABULOUS curly hair now. I think I'll surprise you all with how much curlier I am :D

I'm waiting for my camera to charge so I can post "LOOK AT ME" photos :DLOVE IT! Are you going to wear curls all the time now?

Yes, mine has been just terrible today. It is dry, frizzy and seems to look shorter. Is this normal? I am not shedding hair or anything. For some reason when we get below freezing temperatures my hair seems to do this.

Mine sort of like "wilts" in the cold, less curly and drier. Yes hair definitely reacts to the climate/weather. Sometimes you just have to change up things. You would think I would have learned what to use in what season by now but it seems to react a little different almost every time it changes. Some of it is the length. It definitely relaxes more since it is longer.

DMARTINEZ
December 3rd, 2009, 09:09 AM
Its lovely Manderly! Im jealous.....;)

Deb

Heidi_234
December 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Manderly, wow! That's pretty darn impressive! Funny how a little neat trick can do so much :D Enjoy 'em :D

Curlsgirl! Help! I can't wear my hair curly lately, it just turns it's a frizz mess that look like it could be sold for dusting the shelves. :eek:

I think part of my problem is that the coconut oil doesn't work half as well in these low temperatures, and I can see bits of it solidifying on my hair after I rubbed it to a liquid state and applied to my hair.

I tried twice already to make it work, but argh, it's a frizzy fishbone braid today, and that's thousand times better that way. :?

Belisarius
December 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
I have some solid coconut oil in my hair too. But I think that is because I apply too much.

Heidi_234
December 3rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
I have some solid coconut oil in my hair too. But I think that is because I apply too much.
Well, I know I apply even less than usual. I think I'll try EVOO tomorrow, I know it's a heavy one but it's another oil that penetrates the hair shaft and I have it at home.

Lady Lilya
December 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Try oils that are liquid at lower temperatures, like jojoba.

The coconut oil in my cabinet is solid right now at 73degF. I can't imagine having that in my hair at 40degF outside.

Heidi_234
December 3rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Jojoba didn't work for me. Tomorrow I'll try EVOO though.

Curlsgirl
December 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Try oils that are liquid at lower temperatures, like jojoba.

The coconut oil in my cabinet is solid right now at 73degF. I can't imagine having that in my hair at 40degF outside.I forgot all about that!!! That could be my problem with the dry hair!

Jojoba didn't work for me. Tomorrow I'll try EVOO though.Jojoba doesn't work for me either. I can use EVOO but I have to be very careful because it's so heavy. I will try that though!

Heidi_234
December 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I hope I won't get crunchy ends and/or lingering salad smell. :o

GlassEyes
December 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
I used to use olive oil straight on my hair after washing--depending on the amount, it didn't make me look greasy. Olive oil used to work tons better than coconut oil. I haven't had any recently though.

Oddly enough, I tried Camellia Oil again recently, and I'm quite surprised how well it works now. :confused: It's made my hair quite shiny and nice--and I have decent BUN WAVES on day 2. :bigeyes: Bun waves I could wear out in PUBLIC.

girlcat36
December 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM

Ugh, my hair is so dry. Looking more like 2c frizz lately. I have to keep the humidity in my bedroom low due to allergies. So lately I have been heavily olive oiling my braid tassel and baggying it overnight to keep my ends moisturized.

rumi
December 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
I used to use olive oil straight on my hair after washing--depending on the amount, it didn't make me look greasy. Olive oil used to work tons better than coconut oil. I haven't had any recently though.

Oddly enough, I tried Camellia Oil again recently, and I'm quite surprised how well it works now. :confused: It's made my hair quite shiny and nice--and I have decent BUN WAVES on day 2. :bigeyes: Bun waves I could wear out in PUBLIC.

Yay! I'm glad :D A ton of lovely people have just helped me out with olive oil this place is a dream. I think I'll be sticking to a cocktail of the lighter oils it seems to work better for me.

Artic did say something that might be useful, though it depends on how you use your oils

'One thing to remember is that oils do not contain any water and thus do not actually moisturize. Oils are important to hair's health but so is water (and protein). If you ends are lacking moisture, oil can't put it in there. But oils can help the water to stay inside the hairs and thus help it keep moisturized. Olive oil is also one of the oils that penetrates the hairshaft.'

Any help? :confused:

rach
December 4th, 2009, 06:15 AM
captured by camera - my curl
http://gallery.me.com/purplewisteria/100056/SDC18191/web.jpg?ver=12597917910001
but i fiddle with my hair so they turn to waves.
i annoys me that it can't decide weathers it curls or it waves........ it's confusing :confused:

CrystalTips
December 5th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Just introducing myself - I'm a 3A/B curly, medium texture (mostly - the greys are a bit coarser), normal porosity underneath and high porosity on canopy! Colour treated.

I've been posting on the 'pre-coconut oil before colour' thread and the lovely girlcat36 suggested I pop over and check out this thread!

Will now commence reading thru' the thread :smile:

GlassEyes
December 5th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Just introducing myself - I'm a 3A/B curly, medium texture (mostly - the greys are a bit coarser), normal porosity underneath and high porosity on canopy! Colour treated.

I've been posting on the 'pre-coconut oil before colour' thread and the lovely girlcat36 suggested I pop over and check out this thread!

Will now commence reading thru' the thread :smile:
O_O Could you, uh, please reveal your product usage? *takes out notepad*

Anyway, thread! My hair is driving me nuts lately--nothing seems to be working to keep my hair from drying out and keep it from looking frizzy. D: All gels are turning my hair into a horrid mess, the curl cremes I have (Mixed Chicks and Pink Boots) aren't much better, and I have absolutely NO clue what to do. :( And I can't afford more Kinky Curly stuff. :wail: And I'm sick of wearing my hair up.

rach
December 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/other/lieeef.gif don't feel down GlassEyes

WyrdWay
December 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
mine feeling extra dry too :( everything I've got in the house isn't last all day... anymore. I think I will have to pull out the humidifier :( Even my coconut oil isn't holding up to the weather.

Heidi_234
December 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
O_O Could you, uh, please reveal your product usage? *takes out notepad*
I second the request, the curls in the avatar are simply perfect :thud:

Anyway, thread! My hair is driving me nuts lately--nothing seems to be working to keep my hair from drying out and keep it from looking frizzy. D: All gels are turning my hair into a horrid mess, the curl cremes I have (Mixed Chicks and Pink Boots) aren't much better, and I have absolutely NO clue what to do. :( And I can't afford more Kinky Curly stuff. :wail: And I'm sick of wearing my hair up.
:justy:
Same happens to my hair too! I can't stand it anymore, I'm resorting to braid waves! :mad:

Athena's Owl
December 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Heya!

I was a regular here before the beauty bottle change and the great site archive of 2008. I decided to come back to the community because I'm SO TIRED of being the Hair Ambassador to people who don't have a clue about long hair, and I'm trying to recover from two years of neglect. my hair got really long, but oh man I need to rehab it.

the length has pulled a lot of my curl out, I think - when i had APL hair i was a blended 3b/3c - now that it's down to my tailbone wet, and a bit longer than waist on first day curl, it's 3a/3b and the curl will loosen its way out in a couple days to waves down to my hips.

but i don't really know, I just started rescue operations. got a bottle of Paul mitchell's The detangler, which was my favorite leave-in, and I'm headed off to zellers to buy some more conditioner suitable for CO washing. and maybe some other things. I don't know.

I think I'm close to the end of the phase where i'm striving for it to be longer (grow hair, grow) and i'm on the cusp of just maintaining a length and its health. I know that it's right at the point where washing and detangling is a huge pain in the tuckus, but i think part of that is due to dryness and velcro ends. I'm giving it time.

Also, i'm dead tempted to dye it black. with henna and indigo, of course!

Lady Lilya
December 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM
My hair doesn't seem to have been effected by the dry air.

Really, the major cause of frizz for me is my toddler messing with my hair all the time. He is so in love with it.

Sia
December 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM
[quote=GlassEyes;882781]O_O Could you, uh, please reveal your product usage? *takes out notepad*

I THIRD the request!!:thud:

Aries_jb
December 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM
My hair doesn't seem to have been effected by the dry air.

Same here. My hair is loving the dry weather! Now, humidity, that's a different issue...

girlcat36
December 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, CrystalTips, get back here!!

I did end up cutting my hair today hoping it would curl better. I was blown away by your pictures. I need to know what products you are using.
You used a lot of abbreviations under your pictures, and I didn't know what they meant.
I think that's the reason I escaped from NC.com; I couldn't keep track of all the abbreviations.

CrystalTips
December 6th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Heidi234 and girlcat 36 - Thank you v much! :o

CrystalTips
December 6th, 2009, 01:13 AM
girlcat35 - the abbreviations can be frustrating - there will always be a sticky thread on the boards explaining what they mean tho' :)

Happy to oblige with product usage :smile:
I've been on a 'Curly Girl' (CG - no sulphates or silicones) regime since beginning of August and I'm loving it! My hair is much softer, curlier, more moisturised and (usually!) less frizzy.

My cowash doesn't change (it is the only product I don't switch around - lol - I am such a PJ!) with Faith in Nature Hemp and Meadowfoam conditioner (a thin, protein free conditioner that gives me lots of slip).
I then use either Biolage Conditioning Balm (my HG!) or Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose as my rinse out (always leave in for 15 mins before combing thru' and rinsing). I don't need a lot of protein as I am coars(ish) but when I do, I use Aubrey Organics GPB.
I always use a leave in, my hair needs the moisture. I really like Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave in and Curl Junkie Coffee Cocoa Curl Cream.
Then a gel of some kind - either Flax Seed Gel, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Styler Krystal or Garnier Fructis High Endurance 24 hours Ultra Strong Hold gel (phew!). I always apply Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee over the top - I need the hold!

However, this list is by no means exhaustive! I love trying new products. My hair is fussy - it likes something different everytime I cowash! I have to watch protein content of stylers eg; I cannot use FSG everytime I cowash (sadly - I love FSG) as it contains protein.
I also do an ACV rinse every 2 weeks or so, which my hair really likes and overnight soakings with virgin coconut oil every so often.
Sorry, I've waffled on a bit!

-------------------------------------
3a/b med/coarse - Mix normal/ high porosity. Tint h/l and semi on roots (cover grey!)
Cowash: Faith in Nature Hemp and Meadowfoam
Conditioners: Biolage Conditioning Balm/AOHR/AOGPB
Leave In: CJCCCC/Shea Moisture shea butter leave in
Stylers: Rotate:FSG/ESKrystal/KCCC. BRHG always on top!
Lovin': Plopping with curl-ease
HG!: Bioage Conditioning Balm
Discovery!: Rotating products works for me!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41240927@N03/

manderly
December 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Sweet jesus holy mother of god. I just looked at your flicker and you have the most spectacular curls I've ever seen :agape:

CrystalTips
December 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Sweet jesus holy mother of god. I just looked at your flicker and you have the most spectacular curls I've ever seen :agape:

:sun:Well thank you so much manderly - I am lovin' your beautiful, shiny waves!

I must 'fess up - most of the pics in my flickr are of day 1 hair! If I only I could achieve the same results on days 2 and 3 - :wink:

Losing the shampoo and 'cones has made a big difference tho' - there's no going back for me.

rach
December 6th, 2009, 05:14 AM

i second that :thud:

GlassEyes
December 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM
So you have to watch how much protein you use, yet you always use BRHG on top? I've had issues with that (and many other gels) because they contain too much protein--Biosilk specifically contains silk protein. :( I really have no idea what to do about it.

manderly
December 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
BRHG?

Oh, and now that you've been kind enough to share your products, could you please share your styling routine? How do you apply all that good stuff and whatnot.

girlcat36
December 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
BRHG???? :confused:

Just_Isabel
December 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM
BRHG?

BRHG???? :confused:

I think BRHG = Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. It was in her post.

ETA:

Then a gel of some kind - either Flax Seed Gel, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Styler Krystal or Garnier Fructis High Endurance 24 hours Ultra Strong Hold gel (phew!). I always apply Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee over the top - I need the hold!

(red color mine)

lillithnight
December 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM
my hair is enjoying the lower temp, dew, and humidity. I'm one of those ver curly haired girls whos hair hate the humidity and wont do nothing but puff. Then again i just oil sealed all summer.

girlcat36
December 6th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I think BRHG = Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. It was in her post.

ETA:

(red color mine)

Thank you---just didn't connect the dots!

CrystalTips
December 7th, 2009, 12:34 AM
i second that :thud:
Thank you, rach :)

CrystalTips
December 7th, 2009, 12:43 AM
So you have to watch how much protein you use, yet you always use BRHG on top? I've had issues with that (and many other gels) because they contain too much protein--Biosilk specifically contains silk protein. :( I really have no idea what to do about it.

Yes, for some reason I seem to be OK with BRHG - I therefore presume I must be OK with silk protein. I know that coarser curlies who can't tolerate other proteins - such as wheat - seem to be able to use products containing silk protein. :?

Do you have a problem with all proteins, GlassEyes?
I find if I rotate products a lot, then my hair can tolerate most things. However, if I use a product containing quite a bit of say wheat protein - more than twice in a row, then I would notice a difference in my curls/frizz etc.

There are gels and leave ins out there that don't contain protein tho'. Whereabouts are you based? I'm in the UK - I know Boots purple gel does not contain any protein and nor does Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave in.

CrystalTips
December 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Oh, and now that you've been kind enough to share your products, could you please share your styling routine? How do you apply all that good stuff and whatnot.

Will post up later, manderly - have to go out now :)

GlassEyes
December 7th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Yes, for some reason I seem to be OK with BRHG - I therefore presume I must be OK with silk protein. I know that coarser curlies who can't tolerate other proteins - such as wheat - seem to be able to use products containing silk protein. :?

Do you have a problem with all proteins, GlassEyes?
I find if I rotate products a lot, then my hair can tolerate most things. However, if I use a product containing quite a bit of say wheat protein - more than twice in a row, then I would notice a difference in my curls/frizz etc.

There are gels and leave ins out there that don't contain protein tho'. Whereabouts are you based? I'm in the UK - I know Boots purple gel does not contain any protein and nor does Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave in.
No, actually-I THOUGHT I was fine with silk protein as well, until my hair started staying crunchy after I scrunched the crunch out of my hair. That's what it usually does when it goes into a protein sensitive funk.

It's strange, too, because my hair IS naturally pretty fine. :mad: I really don't know why protein makes it freak out. I've thought it could be something else, but the only thing that translates over when my hair freaks out is the protein in gels and conditioners. However, I can use Suave Coconut, usually, without any problems and it has amino acids (though it does, with long term use, cause my hair to flip).

Different proteins are better than others--silk is FAR better than soy or wheat.

I dunno. Maybe it's just the weather that's making my hair freak and not the gels. Either way, I can't tell.

I'm in the United States, so the boots, at least, is out--though I might be able to get the gel through the brit super-saver site. It's how I got my pink boots--which is, despite making my hair look awesome, completely awful for my hair. xD;

Pixna
December 7th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Okay, you curlies and wurlies, I need your advice. I am trying to free my wurls, but finding a good "routine" has been a bit challenging. Let me tell you my "problems," and perhaps you can give me some advice?

I like to use all-natural products (no chemicals). I have invested in the Kinky-Curly line, and I love their shampoo and conditioner. The Curl Custard (gel) seems a bit too "strong" (crunchy) for my loose wurls, but the Curling Spritz seems good so far.

I shed a lot. I mean, a LOT! I have a wide-tooth comb to use in the shower, when my hair is full of conditioner. It takes a long while to get all the shed hairs out, though, and it's a bit messy. If I don't finger-comb between washes, it can take forever to get out the shed hairs in the shower. However, if I do finger-comb, my hair gets straighter. Also, if I do not do a little something to remove the shed hairs between washes, they fall out willy-nilly everywhere. What's a girl to do??

Also, most products (including the Kinky-Curly) leave my hair looking "wet" or "stringy." My husband doesn't care for the "wet" look, and it is taking a bit of a psychological adjustment for me to adapt to the "stringy" look. My hair looks less "wet" when I finger-comb (after my hair has dried), but then I lose my wurls and I'm not sure if I'm breaking off my hair in the process.

So, does anyone (esp. wurlies) have any good advice for me? Should I finger-comb or not? What can I do about all my shed hairs? How can I adjust to this new routine and "look"?

Suggestions? Advice? Share your routine?

GlassEyes
December 7th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Have you tried using enough ot the product to make your hair crunchy, and look wet when dry, then "scrunching" out the crunch? When you do that, it removes the crunch, and softens the hair--and removes the "wet" look. If you do that, it should keep you from looking too wet.

Also, are you applying product to wet or at least damp hair? I get far more definition when I apply leave-in to soaking wet hair, then use gel then, or after towel drying a bit. That makes the curls stick together better, and look like a stringy mass.

I'd try both of those first, if you haven't, and keep combing in the shower.

Oh, and on the shedding--have you lost considerable thickness? "Excess" hair shedding in the shower is common among curly or strongly-wurly hair because none of the hair shed in the day comes out until you comb or get it wet in the shower. If you're noticing a decrease in thickness, however, you maybe want to get your thyroid checked, or see if increasing iron might help. Truly excess hair shedding has less to do with being curly, and more with body mechanics--going to a doctor would be a good first step.

Edit: On another note, for the past few weeks I haven't been washing daily--one of the few good things that's been going on with my hair as of late. What I've been doing is making a sock bun, but not braising or wrapping the excess, and leaving it to swarm the outside of the bun in a curly mass. I think it looks kind of cool--there's a -sort- of picture of it in my album, but that was my first run through, and all the curls sagged to the bottom of the bun. Not unpleasant looking, but not what I'm doing now.

It's nice to do with hair that's been slept on too, because even smashed curls look fine in it. And if they don't, I can just spritz them and gel them before putting it up, and it looks fine. I think I'm going to use it as my 'escape the winter cold' hairstyle, since it's one of the few I DON'T need wet hair to do.

Pixna
December 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hi, GlassEyes! Thanks for your reply. Yes, I only apply the product when my hair is wet or damp, but I haven't done it soaking wet, so I'll have to give that a try. I forgot about scrunching out the crunch -- that might do the trick.

Regarding shedding, I've always been a heavy shedder. It's one of the reasons (among others) that I had the Big Chop two years ago. My hair is a tad thinner than it used to be, but I think that mainly has to do with my age. I'm a doctor-phobe, so I don't have any plans to go anytime soon. I do take good supplements, though, and I am in good health ('cept I'm a lot older than I'd like to be -- but I can't do much about that!). I only wash about once a week, so if I don't remove shed hairs between washings, I guess I should expect a major shed in the shower. It's just rather disconcerting.

Unfortunately, my hair isn't long enough for updos yet, and it's rather fine and fragile, so I'm not sure whether I'll put it up when it gets longer.

Thank you again for your great tips, GlassEyes! I'll try the gel when my hair is soaking wet. And I'll try scrunching out the crunch.

Any other suggestions anyone???

Curlsgirl
December 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM
No, actually-I THOUGHT I was fine with silk protein as well, until my hair started staying crunchy after I scrunched the crunch out of my hair. That's what it usually does when it goes into a protein sensitive funk.

It's strange, too, because my hair IS naturally pretty fine. :mad: I really don't know why protein makes it freak out. I've thought it could be something else, but the only thing that translates over when my hair freaks out is the protein in gels and conditioners. However, I can use Suave Coconut, usually, without any problems and it has amino acids (though it does, with long term use, cause my hair to flip).

Different proteins are better than others--silk is FAR better than soy or wheat.

I dunno. Maybe it's just the weather that's making my hair freak and not the gels. Either way, I can't tell.

I'm in the United States, so the boots, at least, is out--though I might be able to get the gel through the brit super-saver site. It's how I got my pink boots--which is, despite making my hair look awesome, completely awful for my hair. xD;What does the pink boots do to you? I find that it's great if I rotate but not using it all the time. AG re:coil is the same way. LOVE the re:coil but after a while it's like :mad: dries my hair out.

GlassEyes
December 7th, 2009, 03:03 PM
The alcohol in it makes my hair feel dry and coarse, even though it'll look fairly awesome. :( I really only like hair products if they can make my hair look and feel nice--or can be scrunched out completely. The pink boots dries my hair out from the first application, and I do not need drier hair.

redneckprincess
December 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
ok I am going to read this ENTIRE thread (all 3099 replies of it) I need some help for mine and my daughters hair..she has some serious curls and I (for the first time in my life) would like more.....tomorrow, lol hopefully I dont have to many questions to go along with it..

CrystalTips
December 8th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I'm in the United States, so the boots, at least, is out--though I might be able to get the gel through the brit super-saver site. It's how I got my pink boots--which is, despite making my hair look awesome, completely awful for my hair. xD;

I'm sure the boots purple gel is not available in the US - it's not a great product that you would want to fork out for anyway - it's only about 80 pence here in the UK!! I'm sure there must be protein free gels in your neck of the woods tho'. UK curlies are really liking Garnier Fructis High Endurance 24 hour gel (not the invisible one which contains a cone). I'm sure you must have a US equivalent. Here are the ingredients for the UK version:

Water VP/VA copolymer, propylene glycol, triethanolamine, carbomer, phenoxyethanol, peg-40 hydrogenated caster oil, peg-192 apricot kenerl glycerides, peg-70 mango glycerides, chlorphenesin, limonene, pentasodium pentetate, linalool, citrus medica limonum extract / lemon fruit extract, amyl cinnamal, fragrance

No protein - not exactly natural either but some UK curlies getting good results.

CrystalTips
December 8th, 2009, 02:47 AM

My pleasure!
After cowashing with Faith in Nature Hemp and Meadowfoam, I apply my rinse out condish and rake thru' with fingers. Hair then gets stuffed into a shower cap for 15 mins whilst I get on with the ablutions! I then comb thru condish and rinse out over the bath (am dressed by this point!) I apply my leave-in to dripping wet hair - I rake and scrunch the leave in, first right side up then upside down. I then scrunch in a little more water to activate the leave in. I then apply the gels, in layers the same way - scrunching out quite a bit of the moisture as I go. I then 'plop' in my curlease for about 40 mins (if I have time) and then diffuse to 80% dry. I clamp the crown using Roller Jaw Clamps at this point and then air dry the rest of the way. It is a bit of a faff but it works for me! I only do this 3 times per week max tho'! :smile:

GlassEyes
December 8th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I don' really put much emphasis on the natural element. If everything natural were awesome, soapnut runoff wouldn't be toxic to fish, and belladonna wouldn't kill people. :p

But anyway, I typed it into google, and I got a BUNCH of sites pertaining to the UK and their connected or once connected territories. :mad: So joy. Sounded like it would've been great.

I'll check CVS before giving up though.

Edit: Yep. Closest I can find is the 'Bold it' line, but I'm still looking for ingredients.

Edit again: Yeah, Bold it is what I assume is the US equivalent, but it includes ingredients not in the UK version because they've been banned by the EU union. I think I'll just look into ordering the UK version. XD;

CrystalTips
December 8th, 2009, 06:04 AM
. I think I'll just look into ordering the UK version. XD;

Happy to post this gel to you, GlassEyes. Would PM you but haven't posted enough yet to have this facility open to me!

Shicurls
December 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Okay I am back from hiatus! Since I last posted on this thread I have majorly chopped my hair into a pixie. I am now growing again! So, i will be reading through the whole thread again and looking forward to the great ideas and encouragement!

Teakafrog
December 9th, 2009, 08:07 AM
http://www.redken.com/whats-hot/thehairfiles/create-curl-perfection/

Saw this tutorial, I think I'm going to try this technique. Anybody else do this, and does it work as well as it shows in the video?

The good stuff starts at about 2:58

CrystalTips
December 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM
http://www.redken.com/whats-hot/thehairfiles/create-curl-perfection/

Saw this tutorial, I think I'm going to try this technique. Anybody else do this, and does it work as well as it shows in the video?

The good stuff starts at about 2:58

Hi Teakafrog - just had a look at the video. He started off well by coating the hair with product and twirling/skip curling hair in sections and blow drying with diffuser - and then, I think, it all went horribly wrong when he broke apart the curls and started applying the finishing product! The hair wasn't totally dry (just to 90%) and you could see the frizz forming as he worked! He also started raking his fingers through the curls - thus breaking them up and creating more frizz! Aaarrgghhhh! :eek:

IMO - diffuse to 90% then air dry to 100% dry. Then gently scrunch hair to scrunch out any crunch, (if there is any) right side up and upside down. Then tip head upside down and gently ruffle hair at the roots with fingers against the scalp. This should give volume, keep curl definition and not encourage frizz! :smile:

BTW: can use whatever products suit your hair for this - not necessarily Redken.

Teakafrog
December 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I thought that was stupid too. Leave it alone! But the idea of making that many little rope braids all over and drying with those in, I thought that sounded great. Of course you could just air dry those too...maybe pin curl them? Hmmm...thinking...
My hair is so long and heavy now it pulls out most of my curl, and honestly I'm too lazy to do anything that takes a long time to preserve it, so I just wear it wavy most of the time. This may be something I could do that wouldn't take so long if I just made the curls and let them mostly air dry.

CrystalTips
December 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I thought that was stupid too. Leave it alone! But the idea of making that many little rope braids all over and drying with those in, I thought that sounded great. Of course you could just air dry those too...maybe pin curl them? Hmmm...thinking...
My hair is so long and heavy now it pulls out most of my curl, and honestly I'm too lazy to do anything that takes a long time to preserve it, so I just wear it wavy most of the time. This may be something I could do that wouldn't take so long if I just made the curls and let them mostly air dry.

I've used this 'twirly' method in the past - it worked well. Look forward to hearing how you get on with it :)

GlassEyes
December 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
My mom made me get my hair straightened by my sister. Yes, made me--I really, really didn't want to, but she was nagging me (I WANT TO SEE HOW LOOOOONG IT IS--yeah, well, I'll never wear my hair like this, so how long it is CURLY is how long it is, dammit), and eventually, I just gave in. Plus, I made her mad this morning, so I figured I'd have to go through with it. :rolleyes:

One thing I can say though--my sister knows how to straighten hair. My hair right now is the straightest it has ever been in my life. I don't really like it--it looks nice enough, but it's odd, and in the way. At least with my curls, it stays out of the way, mostly.

The only good news, I guess, is that, pulled straight, my hair is an inch or so off of solid BSL. :shrug:

...also, if I get one more "OHMYGODYOULOOKLIKEJACOB" comparison... -_-;;

09robiha
December 18th, 2009, 07:42 AM
WOW Ive not read this thread in ages...its nice to see so many new curlies and wurlies on here. Hi to you all....especially CrystalTips - Im also an nc.com and bc.com memeber :)...Hi to everyone new!!!

Anyways, I dont know if anyone remebers me its been quite as long time...ive been so busy will college an everything. I finally went fully CG or Co however you want to put it....and my hairs is I think, slowly improving. The curls are stilla little strings and frizzy but far better than they have been however as my ahir gets to the end of the college day it looks a little worse for wear...is there anythina anyone suggests.
One of the biggest differances is that I am no longer blonde and am enjoying life as a red head...i may never go back ;)

Here are some picks andI will look forward to readingall you curls comments once again and would really appreicate any advice on my hair and on what to ask for when I get a hair cut???!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45484927@N07/

CrystalTips
December 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM
WOW Ive not read this thread in ages...its nice to see so many new curlies and wurlies on here. Hi to you all....especially CrystalTips - Im also an nc.com and bc.com memeber :)...Hi to everyone new!!!

Anyways, I dont know if anyone remebers me its been quite as long time...ive been so busy will college an everything. I finally went fully CG or Co however you want to put it....and my hairs is I think, slowly improving. The curls are stilla little strings and frizzy but far better than they have been however as my ahir gets to the end of the college day it looks a little worse for wear...is there anythina anyone suggests.
One of the biggest differances is that I am no longer blonde and am enjoying life as a red head...i may never go back ;)

Here are some picks andI will look forward to readingall you curls comments once again and would really appreicate any advice on my hair and on what to ask for when I get a hair cut???!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45484927@N07/

Hi there robiha - great to meet you! I am lovin' the pics of you as a redhead! You have fabulous blue eyes, which really pop with the new colour! Great curls too! :grin:

Heidi_234
December 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hi fellow curlies, I have a question of most importance! :lol:

What do you do with the fuzzy face framing hair? For straighties and wavies it looks like wisps of face framing hair, but for us it's a disturbing (at least for me) fluff all around. It doesn't work well even if I wear my hair down, because the roots are completely straight, and it shows at the hairline. It's not better if I wear my hair back or up.

Any bright ideas?

PurpleAshes
December 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I use mousse.
When I dont want to get my hands slippery with mousse, I twirl them with a little bit of water so they look like tiny curls instead of fluff.

And the first day of oiling with EVOO, they never appear :D On the second day they do.

CTH3989
December 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'm just popping in to say hi! I'm a 3C/4A mixture.

CrystalTips
December 18th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm just popping in to say hi! I'm a 3C/4A mixture.
Hi back atcha! :)

CTH3989
December 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hi back atcha! :)

I love your curls!

GlassEyes
December 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
So I tried to diffuse my hair today--big, BIG mistake. I wound up with a ton of frizz and had to wear my hair up. xD;

suicides_eve
December 18th, 2009, 08:03 PM
So I tried to diffuse my hair today--big, BIG mistake. I wound up with a ton of frizz and had to wear my hair up. xD;

I was having that problem to and i found that using a finishing spray before you diffuse helps keep frizz down. Not all the time this works but most of the time lol

Curlsgirl
December 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Glasseyes, I get a lot more frizz when diffusing too at least a lot more than when I air-dry. I still diffuse some anyway in the winter, can't STAND the cold as long as it takes for my hair to dry naturally. :mad: Sometimes I simply do the roots and that seems to help a lot with the drying time and the cold issue!

Heidi_234
December 19th, 2009, 12:54 AM
After seeing Suicides_Eve diffusing tutorial I'm rather tempted to try. I just hate to directly waste time on my hair like that, but lately it's so cold I get a headache after each wash. :?

CrystalTips
December 19th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I love your curls!

Thanks CTH! And you have beautiful hair! :smile:

girlcat36
December 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Why can't I find Suicides_Eve's diffusing tutorial?

Soooooo.......My hair has been bugging me lately.
Shedding, frizz, lack of body.
Bought a couple new products. Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn curl activator spray, and Aubrey Organics B5 Design Gel.
Shoot----I forgot to check to see if they were cone free! Oh well, too late. I already used them.

I rinsed my hair with a weak baking soda rinse, then made an egg, molasses, and shampoo mixture for my scalp.
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose condish mixed with honey on the length.
Finished with an ACV rinse.
Then I applied the AO curl activator and gel.
I plopped today too. Usually plopping makes weird bendy curls on me with some frizz.

The results weren't bad today with the plopping. Maybe I'll post pics later.
Actually, my only complaint is the curls near the front of my face turned out not-so-great. They were kind of bendy instead of ringlets like they normally are.
Plopping does help my hair to dry faster--that's a plus!

The molasses mix stained my white cotton shower curtain--oops!!

marobader
December 20th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I need help plzzzzzzzzz
any one?!

marobader
December 20th, 2009, 01:11 PM
HI EVERY ONE
I am new here & I realy need help
any one plz?!

GlassEyes
December 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM
HI EVERY ONE
I am new here & I realy need help
any one plz?!

Hi, welcome to LHC. Is there anything specific we can help you with?:)

@Girlcat: Pretty sure you're safe with both. AO doesn't tend to have silicone--the only thing I really avoid from them is their protein products.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuicidesEve <---Here's her youtube account. It's the newest video.

girlcat36
December 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks, GlassEyes!

CrystalTips
December 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
No silicones, sulphates or parabens in Aubrey Organics :joy:

girlcat36
December 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Just checked out the tutorial! So cool to see video of an LHCer!!
I am now tempted to buy a hair dryer and diffuser. I haven't blown dry my hair in over 20 years!

Heidi_234
December 20th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Just checked out the tutorial! So cool to see video of an LHCer!!
I am now tempted to buy a hair dryer and diffuser. I haven't blown dry my hair in over 20 years!
Girlcat, maybe you could land a hair dryer from a friend? It would suck to spend money on it just to find out you barely use it/it doesn't work for you. I'd give you mine if I could, it's currently collecting dust on the shelf. :flower:

girlcat36
December 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Girlcat, maybe you could land a hair dryer from a friend? It would suck to spend money on it just to find out you barely use it/it doesn't work for you. I'd give you mine if I could, it's currently collecting dust on the shelf. :flower:

You're right, Heidi!
DD will be coming home for Christmas break, and I'm sure she will bring her hair dryer. Maybe I'll go to Sally and get just a diffuser to put on her dryer, and if I don't like it I'll give it to DD, who is a curly, but usually flatirons.

GlassEyes
December 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I'm still on a quest for a cheap, hard-hold gel that doesn't have protein. :justy:

Also, on the right side of my head, there is this one section of hair that decided it doesn't want to play nice with the others--EVER. It's always frizzy and malformed, no matter what I do. It's driving me nuts. Actually, my hair in its entirety is driving me nuts lately.

I'm almost getting frustrated enough to cut it.

Belisarius
December 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I'm still on a quest for a cheap, hard-hold gel that doesn't have protein. :justy:

Also, on the right side of my head, there is this one section of hair that decided it doesn't want to play nice with the others--EVER. It's always frizzy and malformed, no matter what I do. It's driving me nuts. Actually, my hair in its entirety is driving me nuts lately.

yeah, i have those days too. I just suck it up. And then somedays, after lots of conditioning, oiling and then viewing the results before i go out, i remember why i go through with it.

GlassEyes
December 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, well, none of that is currently working for my hair at the moment, so there is little incentive for me to keep 'sucking it up'. :)

rhubarbarin
December 20th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Nooooo.

It's winter! A lot of curlies have so much trouble in winter (not me though - I love my 'relaxed' winter hair). I hope you get out of this rut and start enjoying your hair again.

Have to tried manually curling the misbehaving section? I go through this sometimes too, and using various methods to get it 'set' as a curl instead of a frizz lump usually work pretty well. There's this one patch on the crown of my head that used to give me hell when my hair was shorter, and I would pin-curl it with extra product while my hair was drying. It didn't look great but it didn't look as bad as it wanted to. :)

girlcat36
December 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Photographic evidence that I do have a rare good hair day!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC%20pictures/937-1.jpg

We'll see how long it lasts, though!
Even on a good hair day, I get a fair amount of frizz. Maybe it's a 'fine hair' thing.

GlassEyes
December 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
:D That looks awesome, girlcat!

@Rhubarbian: Usually, I try to twirl it until it's a freaking sausage and lays down like I want it too. I think it's malformed because it's right where I have a patch of broken/cut hair. Nothing I can do until it grows out.

Note to self--overly tight updos and ponytails for several years cause breakage. D:

Curlsgirl
December 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM

Even on a good hair day, I get a fair amount of frizz. Maybe it's a 'fine hair' thing.Oh it looks simply gorgeous girlcat!!!!! :thud:

Curlsgirl
December 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Wanted to post the routine I used last night because it worked really well, my hair is shiny, moisturized and almost totally frizz-free with very good curls.

Washed with Giovanni SAS shampoo. Conditioned with Garnier in the tube, the nourishing treatment with beads (cone-free). Hand blotted to keep it from dripping. Applied KCKT to help get the tangles out, combed with very wide tooth comb gently to get all tangles out. Applied a generous amount of Biolage moisturizing conditioner and worked through well. Stuck hair under faucet to wet really well and to help activate it the conditioner (can't remember who said they do this but I thought I'd try). Then I added LA Looks sports gel throughout and blotted with a curl-ease towel. I parted my hair on the side and then used the blow dryer to dry underneath a bit and the roots some to help get a little of the water out. Then I didn't touch it until it dried which was sometime during the night. This morning I woke up and there wasn't any crunch, it was very soft, shiny and frizz-free! I did nothing to it before going to church. :cheese:

ItalianFlower
December 20th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I just wanted to share this because I think you all would be happy with me. :D

I've recently (well, it's been a while now) become a curly. For much of my life, my hair was STICK straight, then during puberty it went POUFY then wavy and now it's super curly. You can imagine I've had quite the trip with it.

Add swim team for five years to that (I NEVER washed out the chlorine!) and I ended up with a nice big ball of bleached, damaged, poufy hair that I didn't know how to deal with.

I came here and learned how to love my hair and treat it right and it started curling beautifully! It was soft and pretty and so nice. Then I decided to challenge myself to ONE WHOLE YEAR of no trimming (save S&D). Yesterday was the one year anniversary. The last six months have...not good. That damaged hair? Well, it started to look nasty so I wore it up all the time. It was SO fried and so split endy and stuck out like five inches from my back and stopped curling...so I started wearing it up all the time, which also damaged it...

SO yesterday I got rid of that old, damaged hair (about two inches out of the four I grew this year). IT LOOKS AMAZING. It held the curl ALL DAY. ALL DAY! So many tight, pretty, shiny curls! The hair that is left is all stuff that I've been so nice too (because I've been here lurking on LHC since shortly after I left the swim team) and ah! I never knew how FUN it was to be a curly.

CrystalTips
December 20th, 2009, 11:38 PM

Even on a good hair day, I get a fair amount of frizz. Maybe it's a 'fine hair' thing.

Totally gorgeous! :smile:

CrystalTips
December 20th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I just wanted to share this because I think you all would be happy with me. :D

I've recently (well, it's been a while now) become a curly. For much of my life, my hair was STICK straight, then during puberty it went POUFY then wavy and now it's super curly. You can imagine I've had quite the trip with it.

Add swim team for five years to that (I NEVER washed out the chlorine!) and I ended up with a nice big ball of bleached, damaged, poufy hair that I didn't know how to deal with.

I came here and learned how to love my hair and treat it right and it started curling beautifully! It was soft and pretty and so nice. Then I decided to challenge myself to ONE WHOLE YEAR of no trimming (save S&D). Yesterday was the one year anniversary. The last six months have...not good. That damaged hair? Well, it started to look nasty so I wore it up all the time. It was SO fried and so split endy and stuck out like five inches from my back and stopped curling...so I started wearing it up all the time, which also damaged it...

SO yesterday I got rid of that old, damaged hair (about two inches out of the four I grew this year). IT LOOKS AMAZING. It held the curl ALL DAY. ALL DAY! So many tight, pretty, shiny curls! The hair that is left is all stuff that I've been so nice too (because I've been here lurking on LHC since shortly after I left the swim team) and ah! I never knew how FUN it was to be a curly.

Yay! Well down ItalianFlower! And the curls in your avi pic are beautiful!:agree:

Heidi_234
December 21st, 2009, 02:34 AM
Girlcat - you and your curls both look beautiful :flower:

Have you tried the flax seed gel in the end?

I'm so frustrated with my curls this time of the year that I'm back to cones. I hoped to recreate the rope braid curls success I had (and even documented in the length shots album, one of the very firsts there) because finishing off the coney mask I used and moving on the cone-free route.

My ends are awful, and they are super thin too. Maybe that why it's not working well for me anymore. Who knows. :?

GlassEyes
December 21st, 2009, 03:16 AM
Girlcat - you and your curls both look beautiful :flower:

Have you tried the flax seed gel in the end?

I'm so frustrated with my curls this time of the year that I'm back to cones. I hoped to recreate the rope braid curls success I had (and even documented in the length shots album, one of the very firsts there) because finishing off the coney mask I used and moving on the cone-free route.

My ends are awful, and they are super thin too. Maybe that why it's not working well for me anymore. Who knows. :?
Oh, yes, I have. I LOVE flax seed gel.

However, the last time I had it I ordered it pre-made online, and it was overpriced, especially for the amount that I had to use to have it work properly. I found a recipe online made by the same person I bought it from, but I never tried it. :shrug: MAybe I should consider it...

Heidi_234
December 21st, 2009, 05:50 AM
You should. It's super easy to make. I'm not a craftsperson and I barely cook, but the FSG came out perfect.

Curlsgirl
December 21st, 2009, 06:00 AM
Heidi, Could you post the flax-seed gel recipe here that you made? Maybe if it's THAT easy even I could do it :)

Welcome Italian Flower to the WILD side of the hair forum! :D

Heidi_234
December 21st, 2009, 06:05 AM
It was quite a while ago, I think I followed this one:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=61208

It was without tons of additives, very basic recipe - just boil flax seeds in water under it gels, then strain and add little bit of EO (so it would last longer). It's very simple to do. There are also vidoes or some other visual aid down the post that can help understand the process.

Curlsgirl
December 21st, 2009, 06:09 AM
Wow, Heidi that was quick! Thanks!:cheese:

Heidi_234
December 21st, 2009, 06:16 AM
huh lol, yay for being sick and bored and connected to the 'net. :p

Curlsgirl
December 21st, 2009, 06:23 AM
huh lol, yay for being sick and bored and connected to the 'net. :p

Awwwwwwwwww sorry you are sick! This is a crummy time to be!

yzkaloha
December 21st, 2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks, GlassEyes!

Wow! girlcat36 your hair looks amazing! I remember it 2 years ago, you have really made progress. Congratulations!

HKay
December 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
It was quite a while ago, I think I followed this one:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=61208

It was without tons of additives, very basic recipe - just boil flax seeds in water under it gels, then strain and add little bit of EO (so it would last longer). It's very simple to do. There are also vidoes or some other visual aid down the post that can help understand the process.

Thanks a lot! Must try this tomorrow night. I wonder if it makes the hair crunchy like regular gel?

Heidi_234
December 21st, 2009, 06:41 AM
Awwwwwwwwww sorry you are sick! This is a crummy time to be!
It never is a good time to be sick lol. I'm fine, but it's annoying, and set me back with my work plans. At least I have more LHC time. :D

Thanks a lot! Must try this tomorrow night. I wonder if it makes the hair crunchy like regular gel?
You're welcome! :) Good luck with the kitchen witchery :p
It didn't make my hair crunchy at all, but YMMV. If gel makes your hair crunchy, you can always scrunch the crunch out.

curly girl fla
December 21st, 2009, 08:34 AM
I just broke out my bag of flax seeds this weekend. I used to make different variations of fsg, but this time kept it very simple. I only added a small amount of agave nectar and a pinch of dead sea salt. It's perfect for the lower dews/humidity this time of year. So cheap and easy (the perfect date, lol!)...

Copasetic
December 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with fairy knots, and perhaps know of a way to prevent them? They are driving me insane! I don't have much of a split end or white dot problem, but the fairy knots are taking over my hair.

Heidi_234
December 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Does anyone else have a problem with fairy knots, and perhaps know of a way to prevent them? They are driving me insane! I don't have much of a split end or white dot problem, but the fairy knots are taking over my hair.
I them too. At some point I got so annoyed with them, they seem to make my hair tangle more - I actually rip them out when the scissors are not around because I figure a bad end is better than a knot.

The only cure that I found it to wear hair up - it prevents me from constantly examining my ends. :p

CrystalTips
December 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM
Oh, yes, I have. I LOVE flax seed gel.

However, the last time I had it I ordered it pre-made online, and it was overpriced, especially for the amount that I had to use to have it work properly. I found a recipe online made by the same person I bought it from, but I never tried it. :shrug: MAybe I should consider it...

Bizarrely enough - flax seeds contain a reasonable amount of protein! I love flax seed gel (and have used the recipe you refer to) but I can only use it once a week to get good results - anymore than that and my hair doesn't respond the same.

Heidi_234
December 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM
CrystalTips, from what I've read, protein found naturally (in foods and such) is too big to penetrate hair. You might notice that protein treatments or even just products that contain protein, have it hydrolyzed - broken down to smaller particles that are able to penetrate and benefit hair.

girlcat36
December 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM
GlassEyes, Curlsgirl, CrystalTips, Heidi, yzkaloha----Thank you! :)

It was nice having a good hair day for once, but now I am back to stringy frizz!
Maybe I can have a repeat performance tomorrow!

I must investgate this flaxseed recipe!

Quixii
December 21st, 2009, 01:37 PM
[has been lurking]
My hair has been frizzy and tangley lately. >.< (I just dry brushed it because it's actually an improvement.)
I really need to start doing leave-ins.
Speaking of which, here is my try at leaving some V05 in:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/Hair/DSCN9804-2.jpg
The ends look especially nice, but the rest is as frizzy or frizzier than usual. I'm not sure what that means.

Boudicca
December 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM
A question for any porous Curly girls (or boys) :)

My hair is porous and usually dries very fast. I recently used a conditioning mask with wheat proteins in it, and my hair took much longer to dry - even a couple of washes later. Does this mean that the product worked well and helped to smooth and close the cuticle?

If anyone wants to try, the product was Origins Rich Rewards. It has a couple of cones, but smells glorious.

girlcat36
December 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM
[has been lurking]
My hair has been frizzy and tangley lately. >.< (I just dry brushed it because it's actually an improvement.)
The ends look especially nice, but the rest is as frizzy or frizzier than usual. I'm not sure what that means.

It looks beautiful! The color, the length, everything!
I get frizz on my length, but not so much on the ends, too! Don't know why.

GlassEyes
December 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM
CrystalTips, from what I've read, protein found naturally (in foods and such) is too big to penetrate hair. You might notice that protein treatments or even just products that contain protein, have it hydrolyzed - broken down to smaller particles that are able to penetrate and benefit hair.
Doesn't really matter--not all protin needs to penetrate, just fill in cracks on the surface of the hair shaft. :shrug:

Flaxseed gel has been awesome in the past for me though. Maybe I can handle that kind of protein? :shrug:

CrystalTips
December 22nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
A useful article on protein:

http://livecurlylivefree.blogspot.com/

:)

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2009, 06:03 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with fairy knots, and perhaps know of a way to prevent them? They are driving me insane! I don't have much of a split end or white dot problem, but the fairy knots are taking over my hair.Yes I do! :( Wearing my hair up is mostly the only thing that prevents them. I only detangle when I have a lot of conditioner on my hair, don't rip through them though.

GlassEyes, Curlsgirl, CrystalTips, Heidi, yzkaloha----Thank you! :)

It was nice having a good hair day for once, but now I am back to stringy frizz!
Maybe I can have a repeat performance tomorrow!

I must investgate this flaxseed recipe!Me too! I have some flaxseed in a bag at home but it's old. Do the seeds go bad if you you haven't crushed them yet?

[has been lurking]
The ends look especially nice, but the rest is as frizzy or frizzier than usual. I'm not sure what that means.That's what VO5 does to me as a leave-in too. It's just not heavy enough I think for me. I use Biolage conditioning balm. It's kind of expensive but I buy a tub and it takes so little it lasts forever. I think there's a knockoff at Sally's or somewhere that some people use that is much cheaper and supposed to be just as good too.

girlcat36
December 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
CrystalTips, thanks for the link to the website! I've bookmarked it--great info for curlies!

Dreams_in_Pink
December 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
Add me to the wurly list!! :D

I have a question to you all: Should I never brush & comb my hair?? My hair's just a little bit wavy, after wash i can see them. But right after i comb, curls straighten and my hair looks like 1b/1c :(

TIA :D

Copasetic
December 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM

I have a question to you all: Should I never brush & comb my hair?? My hair's just a little bit wavy, after wash i can see them. But right after i comb, curls straighten and my hair looks like 1b/1c :(

Well if you like your wurls, you might want to avoid combing them :) I personally never brush my hair, and just occasionally comb it when it is full of conditioner.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 22nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Well if you like your wurls, you might want to avoid combing them :) I personally never brush my hair, and just occasionally comb it when it is full of conditioner.

I combed it when it was dry and wurls were gone :( guess i'll have to get used to finger combing. Ahh, those pre-LHC habits are so hard to drop :mad:

CrystalTips
December 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
CrystalTips, thanks for the link to the website! I've bookmarked it--great info for curlies!

You're most welcome, girlcat! :D

CrystalTips
December 22nd, 2009, 11:20 AM

I can only ever comb my hair when it is loaded with conditioner - I can't even finger comb it when it's dry, as fingers would get stuck! LOL - I would say that comb/brush would pull out any waves :( It must be hard if you are used to combing - I've never been able to so am used to it. All I do in the morning is ruffle my hair at the root whilst upside down and then flip over. Perhaps you could try that - it might enhance your waves :)

ItalianFlower
December 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
I gently comb right out of the shower, like before a towel has even gotten near it and that seems to help maintain the curl but that's just me

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Well if you like your wurls, you might want to avoid combing them :) I personally never brush my hair, and just occasionally comb it when it is full of conditioner.EEK! Me either! Brush=frizz!!!!! :(

I can only ever comb my hair when it is loaded with conditioner - I can't even finger comb it when it's dry, as fingers would get stuck! LOL - I would say that comb/brush would pull out any waves :( It must be hard if you are used to combing - I've never been able to so am used to it. All I do in the morning is ruffle my hair at the root whilst upside down and then flip over. Perhaps you could try that - it might enhance your waves :)Me too! Mine fingers get stuck and it's not a pretty sound after :shudder:

I gently comb right out of the shower, like before a towel has even gotten near it and that seems to help maintain the curl but that's just meI can do that if I use a VERY large tooth comb and if I do it after detangler is applied. A Denman works best for this actually.

ItalianFlower
December 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Oh, I have a question...for curlies going for or at waist length...

I LOVE my curls. They are so cute and sproingy and I really really love them. What I'm scared of is losing the curl when my hair gets long... do you think layers would help? Or is it just an inevitable result of length/weight?

Dreams_in_Pink
December 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM

I LOVE my curls. They are so cute and sproingy and I really really love them. What I'm scared of is losing the curl when my hair gets long... do you think layers would help? Or is it just an inevitable result of length/weight?

I used to have waist length hair so i can answer :D

You will only lose curls near root area, as the hair weighs down. Ends will surely be curly. The main purpose of layering is to lift the crown area by cutting hair there. So yes, layers will surely make all your length look curly as a whole, but I also know that layers aren't too good for curly people. (everyone who gets them regrets at some point) I'm not sure why; probably because not every hairdresser can cut them skillfully.

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM

Welllllllllllllll all I can say is that at your length I was a definite 3a even 3b and when it got about BSL or a little longer it started losing curl (as you can see in my avi although that wasn't a great curl day, second day I think). I got a trim after that and it does curl some better but stretched I am still close to waist (maybe an inch from it). I think most 3a's have this problem. Redcelticcurls and others that frequent Naturallycurly.com say it's a very common discussion there. For instance she is 3b or 3a/b can't remember but she keeps her hair just short enough (maybe a little past BSL curly?) to maintain the kind of curls she likes right now. You'll really not know until you grow there honestly because it's different for everybody.

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I used to have waist length hair so i can answer :D

You will only lose curls near root area, as the hair weighs down. Ends will surely be curly. The main purpose of layering is to lift the crown area by cutting hair there. So yes, layers will surely make all your length look curly as a whole, but I also know that layers aren't too good for curly people. (everyone who gets them regrets at some point) I'm not sure why; probably because not every hairdresser can cut them skillfully.

For me personally the 2 main reasons I let my layers grow out is I do a lot of braids and that's a REAL problem when braiding. The other reason is I had MORE different lengths of ends and so there was way more frizz. Straighties don't have to deal with that part as much as a rule. I HATE layers in my hair.

Heidi_234
December 22nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
I gently comb right out of the shower, like before a towel has even gotten near it and that seems to help maintain the curl but that's just me
If I can get this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2075&pictureid=48811)with hip length hair, I'm sure you'll be able to at waist.

Curlsgirl
December 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
If I can get this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2075&pictureid=48811)with hip length hair, I'm sure you'll be able to at waist.

Pretty Heidi! I love your new darker color too. It's beautiful! :thud:

Heidi_234
December 22nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Pretty Heidi! I love your new darker color too. It's beautiful! :thud:
Thank you :flower:
It's actually a pic from few months ago, made with crappy cellphone camera, hence the color thing. My hair is dark, but I do hope it's redder than that :wink:

ItalianFlower
December 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
I have a hair dresser that I currently adore because she knows how to cut curly layers and makes my hair look amazing, so I'm hoping to keep her around at least until I'm waist length and I can see what my hair will look like long and with a good cut.

ItalianFlower
December 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Heidi! Your hair is so beautiful! :D Awe you just made me feel so much better.

Heidi_234
December 22nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Heidi! Your hair is so beautiful! :D Awe you just made me feel so much better.
Thank you :)
I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure you'll be able to keep your curls at waist. Have you seen Quixii's curls? She's tailbone (tailbone?) naturally curly (which is much longer wet), and she's 3a, and her curls are stunning. :inlove:

Quixii
December 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Have you seen Quixii's curls? She's tailbone (tailbone?) naturally curly (which is much longer wet), and she's 3a, and her curls are stunning. :inlove:
Aww, thank you so much! :D

CrystalTips
December 22nd, 2009, 01:54 PM

Yep, it's different for everybody. Some curlies find their hair is curlier when short (me) and others, curlier when long. Re layers - I need layers in my hair otherwise I would have 'triangle hair' ;)

ItalianFlower
December 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
Oh thank you you guys. I know that my hair will be different from yours and that's fine... it's just nice to see other curlies with long, beautiful hair. By the way, Quixii, your hair is like the most beautiful I have seen in a long time. It is a GORGEOUS color.

CrystalTips
December 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Quixii - you do have totally gorgeous hair! :agree:

ysabet
December 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hey, new curly checking in ... Currently at about waist length, still curly as anything. I really should take a photo ... I'm still not sure quite where I fit in on the curly-hair spectrum.

Roseate
December 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
...I also know that layers aren't too good for curly people. (everyone who gets them regrets at some point) I'm not sure why; probably because not every hairdresser can cut them skillfully.

Not everyone! I like layers in my hair. I let them grow out of my hair the last time I had it long, and by waist it was all one length.... I was not a fan. I'm keeping my long layers this time around, just in the last few inches of my hair. They help prevent triangle-head for me, which is the shape my hair loves to take!

I do agree that a skillful hairdresser is an absolute must though. Bad layers will make you cry.

ItalianFlower
December 23rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
Bad hairdressers seriously are half the reason that I thought my hair was unmanageable! I had so many bad cuts that made my in-between hair worse (I went from straight to curly during puberty) that I HONESTLY believed that my hair had a mind of its own and I had no say in how it appeared.

Heidi_234
December 23rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
I do agree that a skillful hairdresser is an absolute must though. Bad layers will make you cry.
No. Such. Thing. As. Good. Layers. !!!.
:justy:
Sorry, just ranting here to myself. My layers give me alot of grief at the moment. :brickwall

GlassEyes
December 24th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Actually, I'm rather fond of my layers. I wish my hair were thicker, or at least, thicker looking so I could have more of them. :) xD

Edit: Also, has anyone here tried the Curl Junkie products? Curls-in-a-Bottle and the Aloe fix gel are really appealing to me to try, but I'm not sure it they'd work on my hair.

http://curljunkie.com/

mitabird
December 24th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Edit: Also, has anyone here tried the Curl Junkie products? Curls-in-a-Bottle and the Aloe fix gel are really appealing to me to try, but I'm not sure it they'd work on my hair.

I've used the Aloe Fix a couple of times. It doesn't have enough hold by itself, but it did make my hair look soft and natural. I need to try it with a harder holding gel on top. I think it makes a great gel for 2nd day hair. It does a pretty good job of eliminating most of my frizz.

pilateschick7
December 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM
GlassEyes,

I really like everything that I have tried in the Curl Junkie line. I love the Aloe Fix gel on 2nd day hair. It really helps fight off frizz. However, it truly has no hold on its own.

I have heard good thinks about Curls in a Bottle on NC talk but I am waiting until after Christmas to buy it. I have too many other products that I am trying to use up.

Have you looked at Coffee Coco Curl Creme. I really like it and it smells yummy. It is particularly moisturizing. I usually skip a leave in with it.

I have also had good results with the Smoothing Gellie. The CJ Leave in is also a very good product.:)

CrystalTips
December 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Actually, I'm rather fond of my layers. I wish my hair were thicker, or at least, thicker looking so I could have more of them. :) xD

Really like CJ CCCC, it's in my usual rotation of products, and have just tried a sample of Curls in a Bottle (sent to me by a lovely British curly) and love it! Will be buying after xmas! Have a pic in my flickr of the result.

GlassEyes
December 27th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Well, I threw caution to the wind and just ordered Curls-in-a-Bottle and the smaller size of the 4 oz. Coffee-Coco Creme. It has protein in it, but I'm risking it...

Hopefully not a mistake. D:

curly girl fla
December 27th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I haven't tried the new CJ products, but have some that just don't work for me (aloe fix, smoothing gellie). I figured I won't try CIAB just yet, but hope it works for you-we'll be waiting for your reviews. I am really loving my FSG again. It works really well with the Darcy's, Shescentit and SNBE leave-ins I've been rotating. All the gels/mousses I've been using result in dry, "hard" frizz lately. I don't get a ton of hold with FSG, but I'm getting no frizz and lots of softness...

GlassEyes
December 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah--if this stuff doesn't work, my next step is to stop being lazy and start making some FSG.

I'm starting to think I may not need a gel in this kind of weather--I only really need it for frizz reduction, not for curl definition, so it might be overkill--and what's causing my problems. It could be the glycerin content making my hair freak out, not the protein. I guess we'll see.

CrystalTips
December 27th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Well, I threw caution to the wind and just ordered Curls-in-a-Bottle and the smaller size of the 4 oz. Coffee-Coco Creme. It has protein in it, but I'm risking it...

Hopefully not a mistake. D:

Look forward to hearing how you get on with them! :)

curlylocks85
December 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Today I had my hair in a bun. Later, I decided to wrap my with a scarf to keep it protected. When I was in the process of taking out my first bun, I noticed my curls were not so prominent. My hair was wavier and somewhat straight with some curl only on the ends. Has this happened to any of you? Do you think my hair as it grows longer with reduce my curl? I think it could be partly to do with the bun, but I figured if it were curly, that it would not straighten out just from that alone. What do you think?

Presto
December 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Today I had my hair in a bun. Later, I decided to wrap my with a scarf to keep it protected. When I was in the process of taking out my first bun, I noticed my curls were not so prominent. My hair was wavier and somewhat straight with some curl only on the ends. Has this happened to any of you? Do you think my hair as it grows longer with reduce my curl? I think it could be partly to do with the bun, but I figured if it were curly, that it would not straighten out just from that alone. What do you think?
That is pretty characteristic of 3a type hair. You certainly have enough curl to claim 3a/b, but these looser curl types can be relaxed by manipulating it.

I am solidly 3a, and by day two or three with bunning and combing I have lost enough curl to be down in the 2a/b range.

The hair type that counts is when it is freshly washed and air dried with no product or combing.

GlassEyes
December 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Bunning of any kind will destroy curl of nearly any type.

curlylocks85
December 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM
As my hair get longer, can I braid it then bun it without worrying about losing curl?

p.s. is there anything else I should know about this hair type so I am not surprised in the future?

GlassEyes
December 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Anything that changes the form the hair will take will affect the curl--so bunning, braiding, heavy breathing, etc will affect it. It's not a permanent change--it'll only hapen until you wash next. :shrug:

Aries_jb
December 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Yep. Classic curly trick I use to elongate my curls when they're in shorter stages: bun it or braid it.

I find that not twisting the bun before wrapping it doesn't wreck the curls as much as a normal bun would, especially if you keep the wrap relatively loose. You could try that if you wish and see if it works for you. The other plus is that the bun looks much fuller :). Good luck!

JaneinMarch
December 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
My end of year pic:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=58746&albumid=4039&dl=1262035819&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4039&pictureid=58746)

I'm still sticking with the occasional lemon juice rinse, rhassoul clay more often for washing, and oils to keep it from drying out. I also have a shower filter that has helped immensely. This is about 15 months of growth. :)

ItalianFlower
December 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hum...I cant even touch my hair without losing curl, and mine is pretty curly. I bun my hair to naturally straighten it, lol. So yeah, bunning and braiding and etc will kill the curl. But only until the next wash.

girlcat36
December 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM
My end of year pic:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=58746&albumid=4039&dl=1262035819&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4039&pictureid=58746)

I'm still sticking with the occasional lemon juice rinse, rhassoul clay more often for washing, and oils to keep it from drying out. I also have a shower filter that has helped immensely. This is about 15 months of growth. :)

Looks good, it's so thick! Keep growing!

girlcat36
December 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM
So I took the plunge and bought a hair dryer with a diffuser!
I haven't used a blow dryer in 25 years!

I did a heavy coconut oiling overnight(as a hair coloring pretreatment), colored my hair, and conditioned well with Sally's generic Biolage balm. Applied Potion 9, them AO B5 hair gel. I set the dryer on low heat, low-force air.
At first I diffused standing up straight, but after a while I flipped my head upside down and did it that way.
I got pretty bored so I only dried for about 10 minutes.

Results:
I did get curlier hair with better volume. Frizz factor was about the same as with air drying.
I will be doing this again.
I think blow drying is probably going to be better for my scalp in the long run. The more I think about, going around with a wet head was most likely bad for my scalp, as I have candida on my scalp, which is causing hairloss. Fungus likes a wet scalp, I would imagine!

I think I will have to tweak the products I use, and the amounts that I apply to my hair before drying. Seems like I could have used more product.

Curlsgirl
January 1st, 2010, 10:08 PM
Bumping our thread! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I have been straightening my hair quite a bit. :o I like it both ways but well...right now I like it straight better. I can't stand my hair wet in the winter. I did use a diffuser the other day though with good results. I can't diffuse it all the way or I get quite a bit of frizz though. When I straighten it with a blow dryer I can dry it all the way. It feels SO good not to have damp hair. It seems like it takes SO long to dry.

Oh but I tried that Loreal sulfate free shampoo the other day and my scalp has been itching ever since :mad:

CTH3989
January 1st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Lately, I have been having a problem with dry hair. Maybe brittle as well? It just feels different lately. I've been using Pantene Pro V Curls Shampoo and Conditioner and I think it's time for a change. I love the definition I get when I use the products and the conditioner is so thick and great for detangling but... I don't know. I want my old hair back.

Neddy
January 1st, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hey y'all! I felt it would be fitting for me to make my first formal introduction on the curly hair thread. I've been a long-hair as long as I can remember, and really took and interest in my hair's real health and condition a few years ago. I've been sulfate free and cone free for almost three years, and my hair's never been better. I experimented with shampoo bars, and while they're lovely, they do not lead to good curls. I CO-wash nearly every day, dry my hair by plopping with a t-shirt, and only apply styling products to sopping wet hair. I've been on the forum lurking for a while, but decided I should come out of the woodwork and really say hello!

CrystalTips
January 2nd, 2010, 03:20 AM
Hey y'all! I felt it would be fitting for me to make my first formal introduction on the curly hair thread. I've been a long-hair as long as I can remember, and really took and interest in my hair's real health and condition a few years ago. I've been sulfate free and cone free for almost three years, and my hair's never been better. I experimented with shampoo bars, and while they're lovely, they do not lead to good curls. I CO-wash nearly every day, dry my hair by plopping with a t-shirt, and only apply styling products to sopping wet hair. I've been on the forum lurking for a while, but decided I should come out of the woodwork and really say hello!

Hi Neddy - lovely to meet you! :)

Belisarius
January 2nd, 2010, 07:07 AM
Lately, I have been having a problem with dry hair. Maybe brittle as well? It just feels different lately. I've been using Pantene Pro V Curls Shampoo and Conditioner and I think it's time for a change. I love the definition I get when I use the products and the conditioner is so thick and great for detangling but... I don't know. I want my old hair back.
Perhaps smt or cassia?

30isthenewblack
January 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Welcome Neddy! :)

Shicurls
January 2nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
CTH3989 is it a cone issue? That sounds miserable!

Welcome Neddy!

GlassEyes
January 2nd, 2010, 08:28 AM
So I took the plunge and bought a hair dryer with a diffuser!
I haven't used a blow dryer in 25 years!

I did a heavy coconut oiling overnight(as a hair coloring pretreatment), colored my hair, and conditioned well with Sally's generic Biolage balm. Applied Potion 9, them AO B5 hair gel. I set the dryer on low heat, low-force air.
At first I diffused standing up straight, but after a while I flipped my head upside down and did it that way.
I got pretty bored so I only dried for about 10 minutes.

Results:
I did get curlier hair with better volume. Frizz factor was about the same as with air drying.
I will be doing this again.
I think blow drying is probably going to be better for my scalp in the long run. The more I think about, going around with a wet head was most likely bad for my scalp, as I have candida on my scalp, which is causing hairloss. Fungus likes a wet scalp, I would imagine!

I think I will have to tweak the products I use, and the amounts that I apply to my hair before drying. Seems like I could have used more product.
You might also want to check out the pixie curl technique. It's somewhere on NC, and I'll pm you a link if I can find it. xD There was a youtube vid too, but I can't seem to get it anymore.

Basically, it consists of putting the diffuser to your scalp, turning it on low or cool, and holding it there. Then you turn it off, and move to another section and repeat. It is supposed to cut down on frizz--didn't work for me, but I borrowed my sister's dryer and diffuser, and they suck.

Also, you're only supposed to go until about 80&#37; dryness, then let it air dry the rest of the way, or something. I still prefer airdrying, but maybe if I got a better blowdryer, or something. Eh.

CTH: Have you tried going cone-free for a while? Or at least, trying otu a different shampoo with the same conditioner. I can't recall, but I think that shampoo MIGHT contain cones--which can be a problem. Cones are great, unless you can't cleanse them out. :shrug:

Oh, guys, CIAB (Curls in a Bottle) and the Coffee-Coco Cream are fan-freaking-tastic. I've been using them for a few days now together--the cream is great for moisture (even containing protein, it's still great for me thus far), and the curls in a bottle is light, yet defining. My only complaint is that I get FAR too much volume with the CIAB alone, so I've taken to either twisting my hair (cuts down on volume) and/or using some Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (BHRG) on top. Either way, great.

I'd even like the volume I get, if my layers didn't act all funky. I still have little-to-no frizz with it. :shrug:

Lady Lilya
January 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
I took a new pic to put in my siggy.

Lady Lilya
January 3rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
But i see it didnt' show up. :(

Lady Lilya
January 3rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
There it is!

CrystalTips
January 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
There it is!

Gorgeous curl Lady Lilya! :)

Xandergrammy
January 3rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
I took a new pic to put in my siggy.

Oh boy, what a beautiful curl! :inlove:

CTH3989
January 3rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks ladies! I decided that it was cones as well and I picked up a bottle of VO5 clarifying shampoo and I will go from there. I need to go back to my old simple routine of CO with VO5, then apply EVOO, AVG, and style.

EDIT: Can someone tell me more about SMT and Cassia?

GlassEyes
January 3rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Uh, sure.

SMT is a mixture of honey, aloe, and conditioner. I believe it's a 1-1-3 ratio in that order. It's best to do them with a protein without conditioner (though if you need protein, it's an option too) and without cones. Sometimes the aloe causes problems for people--I'm one of them--but most seem to like it.

Make sure you use an aloe gel or juice (recipe calls for gel, but some use juice) without lidocaine. Many use Fruit of the Earth (or FOTE), and there's a few listed in the SMT thread...I think. It's somewhere in the Recipes forum. I'll take a look and post a link.

As far as cassia, it's like henna, without the worry of dyeing. It has a very pale yellow dye that you'll only see on pale blonde/white hair. It dries my hair out, but many find it helpful. It doesn't have the strength or permanence of the henna conditioning, however.

GingerBoy'sMom
January 4th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Lady Lilya,
I would kill to have your ringlets.:D

~*BeautyWitch*~
January 4th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I've been trying to preserve my wash-n-go curls for second day hair but no matter what I try I always end up having to wet my hair. I've read that doing a wet pineapple at nights helps but I've tried it and all it does is wreck my curls.

Maybe I'm not making the pineapple right... Is it just a bun on the top of your head with un-tucked ends; or should I be twisting while making the bun?

GlassEyes
January 4th, 2010, 09:34 AM
It's a ponytail on top of the head, not a bun, usually. some people like a loose braid.

Though there's no way for me to have TRUE second day hair without wetting it at least a little.

Neddy
January 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM
My pineapple is a loose ponytail held with a scrunchy. It keeps the length of the curls nicely, but it always flattens out the top six inches or so.

My second day hair is always an updo. My curls, no matter what, even after wetting, are fuzzy and not very nice looking to wear down. But the awesome thing about curly hair, which I didn't appreciate until recently, was how well updos hold. I love that some notoriously slippery, sliding styles hold for the entire day in my hair.

Vijikanth
January 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I wear my hair to office in a ponytail after shower and towel drying daily. I apply a little hair oil so as to keep hair out of splits. But when I remove the tail, my hair turns wavy and not curly. But if I dont put it in a tail, It really looks like noodles.. :)

GlassEyes
January 4th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, if I have second day hair, it's up in a sock bun with the curls spread around the center. I've taken to thinking of it as the corona or sun bun. :)

It was a life saver when I was going to school at 6 in the morning some days. xD; I could even do it with day three hair.

rhubarbarin
January 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Bunning of any kind will destroy curl of nearly any type.

Well, there are exceptions to everything. ;) Bunning, braiding, etc doesn't change my hair much, even though my hair isn't very curly. I have nearly the same amount of curl in day 3 and 4 hair as day 1.

Weather has a much bigger effect. I only see straightening of my hair on very dry days - which are vanishingly rare around here. Or if I spend a long time oiling and combing I can get it pretty wavy.

~*BeautyWitch*~
January 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM
so I guess it's too much to ask for great second day looses hair :(. Guess I'll just keep doing twists at nights then.

CTH3989
January 4th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Uh, sure.

SMT is a mixture of honey, aloe, and conditioner. I believe it's a 1-1-3 ratio in that order. It's best to do them with a protein without conditioner (though if you need protein, it's an option too) and without cones. Sometimes the aloe causes problems for people--I'm one of them--but most seem to like it.

Make sure you use an aloe gel or juice (recipe calls for gel, but some use juice) without lidocaine. Many use Fruit of the Earth (or FOTE), and there's a few listed in the SMT thread...I think. It's somewhere in the Recipes forum. I'll take a look and post a link.

As far as cassia, it's like henna, without the worry of dyeing. It has a very pale yellow dye that you'll only see on pale blonde/white hair. It dries my hair out, but many find it helpful. It doesn't have the strength or permanence of the henna conditioning, however.

Thank you! I need to brush up on my abbreviations. I used to know these things. :p

MandyBeth
January 4th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Not a curly curly girl, but my hair behaves best if I treat it like it's curly and the amount of diabolical frizz is apparently a sign my hair might be curly if I let it get long enough to curl. My little sister has super tight curls which if stretched will be almost waist length, but if she leaves them be, they aren't quite APL. My middle sister has hair that is curly at the ends at BSLish, but not curly until it's at least APL - but she likes her hair short, so it's not curly right now. My middle-little sister (she's between) has my mom's hair and also hates her hair anything out of a long pixie, but her ends flip up randomly on her. My brothers refuse to grow their hair out past 1/2", so how curly they are is in question :)

So if you don't mind, I might lurk around and mooch good ideas for my hair that isn't sure what it wants to do.

Twil
January 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm a curly! A 3C <3

CrystalTips
January 5th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Not a curly curly girl, but my hair behaves best if I treat it like it's curly and the amount of diabolical frizz is apparently a sign my hair might be curly if I let it get long enough to curl. My little sister has super tight curls which if stretched will be almost waist length, but if she leaves them be, they aren't quite APL. My middle sister has hair that is curly at the ends at BSLish, but not curly until it's at least APL - but she likes her hair short, so it's not curly right now. My middle-little sister (she's between) has my mom's hair and also hates her hair anything out of a long pixie, but her ends flip up randomly on her. My brothers refuse to grow their hair out past 1/2", so how curly they are is in question :)

So if you don't mind, I might lurk around and mooch good ideas for my hair that isn't sure what it wants to do.

Hi MandyBeth :)

Your hair might indeed get curlier as it gets longer - some curlies find that! I'm curly at all lengths but find my curls are much tighter the shorter I go - vive la difference!

manderly
January 5th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Is there a video somewhere of someone clipping the roots. I know that it's probably super simple and not really much of a technique, but damn if I can't wrap my brain around it. I've done it a couple of times with lackluster results, and I really just want to find a way to get some great volume at the top of my head.

Halp!

HKay
January 6th, 2010, 05:17 AM

Ok this is not exactly tomorrow night but I did finally try the flax seed gel.... and I really like it. To make the experiment worthwhile, I split my hair in half and only applied it to one side to see the effect: more wave definition, definitely less frizz/flyaway hairs and the best part, no crunchy feeling.

What remains to be seen is how my hair handles it with several days not washing.

FYI, I used 2 tablespoons of brown flaxseeds and 1 cup of water with a few drop of Jasmin EO.

Teakafrog
January 6th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I was pleasantly surprised when I went in for my trim yesterday. My stylist had new stuff to play with on me--the Devafuser and some Deva Curl products! That is amazing out here in the boonies, but she said she was trying to use more stuff for natural curlies like me. :D And getting the dead bleached ends off made my curls bounce like they haven't in years. Good hair day!

Copasetic
January 6th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Is there a video somewhere of someone clipping the roots. I know that it's probably super simple and not really much of a technique, but damn if I can't wrap my brain around it. I've done it a couple of times with lackluster results, and I really just want to find a way to get some great volume at the top of my head.

Halp!

http://curllove.blogspot.com/2008/03/styling-videos.html

Check out video #2 :).

Belisarius
January 6th, 2010, 12:38 PM
so I guess it's too much to ask for great second day looses hair :(. Guess I'll just keep doing twists at nights then.
Yep. I have horrible second day hair, I solve that by putting conditioner and oil in it every day, so i don't have second day hair days. :-D

CrystalTips
January 6th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Halp!

I'd recommend these Roller Jaw Clamps - they are fab for volume at the root:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PzB2yi-cAg :)

manderly
January 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thank you copasetic and crystal tips!! :flowers:

CrystalTips
January 6th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Thank you copasetic and crystal tips!! :flowers:

My pleasure :D Hope you find something that works for you, manderly.

CTH3989
January 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
My hair feels so much better! I clarified last night and then conditioned and rinsed really well. My hair feels a lot healthier now.

Stubborn
January 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm just curious about how everyone here applies gel to their hair? While it's wet, damp, dry?

Lady Lilya
January 8th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Lady Lilya,
I would kill to have your ringlets.:D

They are completely product-free. Just washing with regular shampoo (oh, the horror!!!) and then brushing (double the horror!!!) then tossing my hair around so the wetness doesn't plaster the curls to my head.

If I try putting anything on my hair, it seems to weigh the curls down.

Curlsgirl
January 8th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Hope everyone is staying warm! It is weird cold here in East Tennessee with ice and snow and wrecks everywhere! I got to stay home from work today though. Not much to say lately so I am just reading from time to time. I did try Garnier Triple nutrition conditioner and LOVE it. And I tried the Loreal sulfate free shampoo and it made my scalp itch! I am enjoying my hair and maybe leaving it at waist for a while. It seems to suit me.

Carry on!

CrystalTips
January 9th, 2010, 01:22 AM
They are completely product-free. Just washing with regular shampoo (oh, the horror!!!) and then brushing (double the horror!!!) then tossing my hair around so the wetness doesn't plaster the curls to my head.

If I try putting anything on my hair, it seems to weigh the curls down.

Hi Lilya

I would recommend trying the Shea Moisture Shea Butter Leave in conditioner - although moisturising, it is light and easily distributable. Also a lot of curlies find that diffusing the hair for a few minutes can help, if the water in the hair is pulling or flattening the curls :)

CrystalTips
January 9th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I'm just curious about how everyone here applies gel to their hair? While it's wet, damp, dry?

I have to apply all my stylers to soaking wet hair for the best results, including gel. However, some prefer to scrunch out some water with their hands (or a 'curl cloth' of some kind) before adding gel as they find the gel will work better if there is less moisture in the hair. I find that if I do this my hair will get more frizzies. HTH! :)

GlassEyes
January 9th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Crystal Tips, is Shea Moisture still making that? I can find it on other sites, but not on the main one. I'd hate to get it and find it to be discontinued. :(

I'm using Lustrasilk currently, so I'm in no rush to buy it, especially when this stuff is so cheap! If the Sally's Aloe Gel works out for me too, I'll be EXTREMELY happy. As will my wallet. :p