PDA

View Full Version : Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Toadstool
September 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I just tried Pantene Pro-V curl creating gel spray (flexible hold). I have to say it is the most vile product I have ever put on my hair. It was curlier but rigid and crunchy :-(

Curlsgirl
September 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Yeap. :nono: I mean, if she's happy with it, then it's her right.Oh absolutely! She was just my first hair idol here so I was surprised!

But it so cute! And well, she went from a 3a to a.... 3a, lol. She's a great example of what short 3a hair looks like.Yeah, that's why she was my hair idol. I thought mine would look similar to hers when it grew out.

I've read a lot of this thread but I was wondering if there's any sort of gel to calm my hair down/tame a lot of the frizz? and retain the curls? feel free to go to my hair album and take a look at my hair so you're able to give suggestions :DI like to use a leave-in conditioner with a curl enhancer over it and then sometimes a gel. LA Looks sports gel is cheap and very good in my opinion!

I just tried Pantene Pro-V curl creating gel spray (flexible hold). I have to say it is the most vile product I have ever put on my hair. It was curlier but rigid and crunchy :-(You do scrunch out the crunch don't you? If not pretty much all gels will be crunchy.

Lady Lilya
September 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Ugh. Seasonal shedding, is that what I'm experiencing? What am I, a bear? Does this mean we'll have an extra-cold winter this year or something? :laugh:

That's what is being predicted. A long, cold, snowy winter.

I wonder if curlies should air dry their hair resting on something rather than down loose for their hairtyping pic.

When I am going for maximum curl for wearing my hair down, I put some pillows against the arm of the couch and semi-recline so that my hair is laying on the arm of the chair. I figure it takes gravity out of the equation just long enough for it to dry. I can get my hair to look much less curly by weighting it while it dries.

I've been thinking hard and in my head now there are two components to curliness - the distance between the bends in a clump of hair, and also how round it is (does it spiral, or form a 2-dimensional s-wave?).

All wavy, curly, and kinky hair has bends in it, and for the layman (heh) or straight-haired person, how close together the bends are is often what determines their perception of 'curliness', rather than actual spirals.

However, when you try to make a system of hairtyping: most wavy and kinky (by which I mean hair that zig-zags in very tight bends but does not form spirals at all) hair does not have roundness. Type 3s are all supposed to be round, and the main difference between 3a, 3b, and 3c is the tightness of the bend in the hair (which often corresponds with the size of the clumps it forms).

This is exactly how I think of it. My hair makes very round spiraled tubes, like a telephone cord, so I am a 3. The tubes are a little stretched out near the top because of the weight of the length I have. As it gets longer, I am losing curl from the top.

---

Red Celtic Curls, I looked at the pics of your hair on naturallycurly.com and (other than the color) your hair looks more like how mine is recently than any other head of hair I have every seen before.

My curls used to be tighter, but they are loosening since I have been growing my hair longer. Plus I am too busy with my toddler to be taking proper care of them. (I wash with shampoo every 2-3 days, and then brush it.)

Heidi_234
September 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Oh, no worries, that is a very long term idea. I think I just like the thought of actually being able to do it when I wasn't before.

My next goal is to see if it will actually get to waist curly, and that's a good 12-18 months if I am guessing correctly.
Hehe Okay :flower: Always good to have the option. :)

I hope to be BCL curly in a year, that would really feel long for me, and my goal actually is to be a longhair. And then it would still be a work in progress to fix that darned hemline. Yey for our mutual journey :D

When I am going for maximum curl for wearing my hair down, I put some pillows against the arm of the couch and semi-recline so that my hair is laying on the arm of the chair. I figure it takes gravity out of the equation just long enough for it to dry. I can get my hair to look much less curly by weighting it while it dries.

Yeap, that was my experience so far too. It's a bit confusing because the last few inched of my hair are really stubborn, and curl no matter what (even after not washing for more than a week and brushing my hair out!), but my hair always seems to loose when fighting gravity. Is it that heavy?! :p I don't remember my hair being heavy when it was tailbone...

Toadstool
September 17th, 2009, 02:24 AM
You do scrunch out the crunch don't you? If not pretty much all gels will be crunchy.

I'll try that, thanks.
But I did read a lot of reviews after I bought it :rolleyes: saying how horrible it felt.
I shall give it one more go this morning.

Okay I take it all back. Never knew about scrunching out!

Toadstool
September 17th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
I was going to post in your album that you have the cutest nape curls! But I didn't want to be a creeper.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Presto
September 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Those are darned cute nape curls. Can I reach through my monitor and sproing one of them? :lol:

I am really really loving the GVP Conditioning Balm. I'm using it as a conditioner and as a leave in. It is so light, and leaves my curls shiny and defined and extra springy. Still a little frizz on top, but that can be sorted out with my hands.
Is it possible to go overboard with the stuff? Will I get build up eventually? It seems to be gone by the time I go for the next shower.

Now I need some gel to play with.

IStand4u
September 17th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Wow I haven't been on here in a long while!

Okay so I made one of the biggest mistakes that I ever could... I went on my grade 12 trip to a camp up north... my friends convinced me to use their shampoo and condition... long story short my hair + any cones = 2 inch high frizz and a very angry me.
It was funny because we got back to my town and I told my friend that I'll go and wash my hair with my stuff and it will be completely frizz free and beautiful... she didn't believe me.
All in all I was right, and she was shocked...

But lesson learned... I will NEVER go back to conditioner with cones again and I will never borrow my friends shampoo or conditioner if its Herbal Essences again either...

I am happy that my stuff got my hair nice again though, it's the only shampoo and conditioner that I have been able to find that doesn't have cones in them. It's called Live Clean if any of you have heard of it... I love it, and it smells really good too :)

Well that's my update and lesson learned... oh and are their any tricks to get rid of frizz for me if there is a next time?

Thanks guys!

GlassEyes
September 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
o-o Color me surprised. I honestly hate them. xD;

IStand4u
September 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
o-o Color me surprised. I honestly hate them. xD;

wait what do you hate?

GlassEyes
September 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
wait what do you hate?
My nape curls, which were a topic of discussion on the last page. XD:p

IStand4u
September 17th, 2009, 10:03 PM
My nape curls, which were a topic of discussion on the last page. XD:p
Oh haha, yeah I haven't been on in a while due to a trip that I took with my grade 12 class to a camp... WORST hair experience ever....

ladylibra
September 18th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Okay so I made one of the biggest mistakes that I ever could... I went on my grade 12 trip to a camp up north...

...lesson learned... I will NEVER go back to conditioner with cones again and I will never borrow my friends shampoo or conditioner if its Herbal Essences again either..

...Well that's my update and lesson learned... oh and are their any tricks to get rid of frizz for me if there is a next time?

Yeah I know you were camping and all... but don't ever leave home without your own personal hair products as a curly-head. EVER! :laugh: I'm all for trying new products, but always have your old faithfuls nearby in case said new products don't react well with your hair. Otherwise, you end up in... well... the situation you ended up in. ;)

silentwanderer
September 18th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm a 3c curly girl looking for company. I love curls and I wouldn't want to change them.
I've been natural for years now and I finally found out what to do with my hair. I had my curls slightly longer than shoulderlength ,but then I got it cut (recently) into a angled bob. I love the style ,but I love the versatility of long hair more. So my goal would be around brastrap length.I don't use heat on my hair anymore ,except for a hairdryer every once in a while.

xoxo

tangocurl
September 19th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a 3c curly girl looking for company. I love curls and I wouldn't want to change them.
I've been natural for years now and I finally found out what to do with my hair. I had my curls slightly longer than shoulderlength ,but then I got it cut (recently) into a angled bob. I love the style ,but I love the versatility of long hair more. So my goal would be around brastrap length.I don't use heat on my hair anymore ,except for a hairdryer every once in a while.

xoxo

Welcome, and I applaud you for loving your curls! I accept mine as family...hahaha

IStand4u
September 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah I know you were camping and all... but don't ever leave home without your own personal hair products as a curly-head. EVER! :laugh: I'm all for trying new products, but always have your old faithfuls nearby in case said new products don't react well with your hair. Otherwise, you end up in... well... the situation you ended up in. ;)
Very true... It was the stupidest mistake ever... and to think that I actually used to use that stuff on my hair and I never used to have that kind of a reaction to it... O_o''

Flynn
September 20th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Very true... It was the stupidest mistake ever... and to think that I actually used to use that stuff on my hair and I never used to have that kind of a reaction to it... O_o''

... or you just had no idea how bad it actually was back then.

IStand4u
September 20th, 2009, 10:15 AM
... or you just had no idea how bad it actually was back then.
Maybe... but I know that my hair never had 2inches of frizz after I shampooed and conditioned it when I was little... I don't know, all I know is that I wont EVER do that again... *sigh*

Curlsgirl
September 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
I'll try that, thanks.
But I did read a lot of reviews after I bought it :rolleyes: saying how horrible it felt.
I shall give it one more go this morning.

Okay I take it all back. Never knew about scrunching out!

Great! Yeah I didn't used to know either, lots of us didn't. Isn't it a world of difference? :D

Dez
September 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Just wanted to post a couple pics to compare my growth in the last few months.

this is from july
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g20/Dezi_photo/IMG_4425.jpg

and this is from today
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g20/Dezi_photo/IMG_4549.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g20/Dezi_photo/IMG_4551.jpg

What do you think? I didn't know which pic showed a better angle. Also I can't tell if i've reached APL yet this shirt makes it hard to tell. So i'll have to take another later with a string or something. Just thought i'd try with a lined shirt so i have a point of reference in the same shirt next time.

Heidi_234
September 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
July this year? That's an awesome amount of growth then. Striped shirts are great for length shots though.

Dez
September 21st, 2009, 02:47 PM
yes, july of this year. yeah i've been feeling like my hair is barely growing, so now i'll only take growth pics in a striped shirt so i can tell. I also feel like the pattern and curl of my hair can make it look/feel different lengths at different times.

Flynn
September 21st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Whee! I have a reason to like the humidity! I appear to have hit a 2/3a today! I'm at uni, though, and I don't have a camera, so you'll just have to imagine it. TT^TT I wanna show off...

Curlsgirl
September 21st, 2009, 08:46 PM
Dez, wow that's sure some growth in that amount of time! Looks great and APL to me!

Curlsgirl
September 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM
Whee! I have a reason to like the humidity! I appear to have hit a 2/3a today! I'm at uni, though, and I don't have a camera, so you'll just have to imagine it. TT^TT I wanna show off...

Congratulations! :cheese:

Lyndistine
September 21st, 2009, 10:35 PM
Dez, wow that's sure some growth in that amount of time! Looks great and APL to me!I agree! I'd say at least the longest lengths count, so go whole hog and call the whole thing APL. :D

tangocurl
September 21st, 2009, 11:45 PM
I agree, APL. I measure wet, and thank gawd my layers are gone but you can't see them with wet hair anyway!

freecelt
September 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM
Um, what's APL?

And I have a question for fellow curlies. If I put product in my hair after a shower, it looks good and I can wear it down for a couple days with out to much re-shaping. But if I put it in a bun the ends come out looking funny. I'll have great bun waves but the ends will be strait. I feel like a have to do one or the other between washing and would like more versatility. I was doing pony tales but am wondering if they are causing breakage....any ideas?

Quixii
September 22nd, 2009, 02:00 AM
Um, what's APL?

And I have a question for fellow curlies. If I put product in my hair after a shower, it looks good and I can wear it down for a couple days with out to much re-shaping. But if I put it in a bun the ends come out looking funny. I'll have great bun waves but the ends will be strait. I feel like a have to do one or the other between washing and would like more versatility. I was doing pony tales but am wondering if they are causing breakage....any ideas?
Arm pit length. :)

I'd think that would depend on the bun you're doing. I know there was a bun I did once where the ends got great curls and the rest of the length got okay waves. I've also done buns where the whole thing ends up in waves or whatever else. :shrug:

Heidi_234
September 22nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
It really depends on the bun. One that requires twisting the length to the very ends (cinnmon bun, Gibraltar bun and many more) can produce nice swirly curls, while other buns that your length and ends are wrapped around the base in a straight manner may result in straightening that length of hair.

IStand4u
September 22nd, 2009, 08:05 AM
That is definitely true... go for a bun that makes you twist it to the ends, oh and tip! Try and not to use elastics, or hair bands with metal things on them... (By elastics I mean the rubber ones or the small ones that are between rubber and plastic, they wreck your hair).
But otherwise, welcome and embrace you're curls!
You can try rope braid buns and other braided buns too! Easy and cute/elegant! :D

Roseate
September 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Also, when I'm going for bun-waves, I like to take the bun down and re-twist it in the opposite direction a couple times during the day. That way if there are any weird kinks/straight parts/whatever they don't get set in stone.

Dez
September 22nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
yaay! maybe it won't take too long to get to BSL then.

And I agree about braided buns. Well my hair isn't really long enough to do braided buns. But if I do pig tail rope braids it really revives my curls pretty good.

Heidi_234
September 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Rope braids used to work so great for my hair...*sigh*

Curlsgirl
September 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
The last few inches of my hair are split all up and down that part. :eek: I am pretty sure it's from the straightening they are doing at the salon. I don't think anyone can really tell but me with the curls in it but I don't like and I am thinking it will only get worse if I keep getting them to straighten it. Next time I am going to just get them to leave it curly. I guess I will trim off the damage a little at a time so I won't have to do a drastic trim. I should have known better than to let them use the flat iron.

LadyEliza
September 22nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
I need help!

When I first joined here my hair was a 3 - with definate spirals.

Now my hair is just past apl it has changed and now it's zigg zagging and frizzing!

How do I get my spirals back, with the execption of having to put it in curlers?

redcelticcurls
September 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Um, what's APL?

Beat me, I don't get bun waves, lol.

I wore a tight sock bun on Saturday. On Sunday my hair looked liked I dry brushed it out. Urg.

Heidi_234
September 23rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
Beat me, I don't get bun waves, lol.

I wore a tight sock bun on Saturday. On Sunday my hair looked liked I dry brushed it out. Urg.
Sock bun sucks for bun waves. Something like cinnabun or Gibraltar bun can make it very spiral due to the twisting. Or rope braid for that matter. Also equilibrium bun or log roll may result bigger spirals (saw it on others, didn't work for me).

Sia
September 23rd, 2009, 02:00 AM
Hi everyone.:)

Having always thought I was a frizzy and a poofy, I've been flat ironing daily most of my adult life. I gave it up about a year ago when my iron spontaneously combusted one morning and I couldn't afford a new one.
Since that time, I've been treating my hair a little better, experimenting with ideas from LHC and I'm evolving from a frizzy and a poofy to a wurly and a curly. Sounds silly, but I had no idea my hair was so wurly - Either the wurls have increased over time or I just never gave the wurls a chance.

I don't know how to post pictures yet, but my sideways avatar shows my hair a little.
Could someone help me with my hair type? I'm not sure what it is...
Have any of you found that curls increase with age or do you think it's mostly due to a change in routine/care?
And do most of you use gel over a leave-in?

Ok, enough questions. Thanks for your help!

prittykitty
September 23rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
I have naturally curly hair and of course I am not too fond of it but must learn to live with it. I have dark hair that is starting to get many silver strands. I have noticed that the silver strands seem a little longer than the rest of my hair. Also I have noticed that some of the silver strands are not as curly as the rest of my hair either and the silver strands seem stronger. Has anyone else noticed this? Does gray or silver hair grow in stronger and on curly hair is it possible that it will grow more relaxed and not so curly? Just wondering.

rhubarbarin
September 23rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Sia, my aunt went from 1a hair to 2c/3a in her late 40s. I think it's pretty common for your hair type to change with age.

Heidi_234
September 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
rhubarbarin, seems like you changed haitype too :p

swirlytresses
September 23rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
I have naturally curly hair and of course I am not too fond of it but must learn to live with it. I have dark hair that is starting to get many silver strands. I have noticed that the silver strands seem a little longer than the rest of my hair. Also I have noticed that some of the silver strands are not as curly as the rest of my hair either and the silver strands seem stronger. Has anyone else noticed this? Does gray or silver hair grow in stronger and on curly hair is it possible that it will grow more relaxed and not so curly? Just wondering.

Mine is the very same way! I've wondered this myself. My gray hairs are thicker and a little coarser in texture and definitely not as curly. It's a mystery to me. :)

Quixii
September 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
I have naturally curly hair and of course I am not too fond of it [snip]
I hate to be whiny, but what's the "of course" part of it? I always wanted naturally curly hair, and was thrilled when I figured out it was curly.

Heidi_234
September 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
I hate to be whiny, but what's the "of course" part of it? I always wanted naturally curly hair, and was thrilled when I figured out it was curly.
Because you always want what you don't have? :wink:

redcelticcurls
September 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
I did it! Got my dye refreshed and got it blown out.

Sorry for the backfat, bleh, but here's a length shot now.

http://i35.tinypic.com/22zq8.jpg

The V that I like on curly hair looks weird to me on straight hair.

http://i38.tinypic.com/30b23j8.jpg

redcelticcurls
September 23rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Sock bun sucks for bun waves. Something like cinnabun or Gibraltar bun can make it very spiral due to the twisting. Or rope braid for that matter. Also equilibrium bun or log roll may result bigger spirals (saw it on others, didn't work for me).

For some reason , the all give me the same result. A straight, but not sleek, pyramid. I just know if wear an updo that I need to get my hair wet to wear it down again. Weird, but I guess I'm used to it.

redcelticcurls
September 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone.:)

Having always thought I was a frizzy and a poofy, I've been flat ironing daily most of my adult life. I gave it up about a year ago when my iron spontaneously combusted one morning and I couldn't afford a new one.
Since that time, I've been treating my hair a little better, experimenting with ideas from LHC and I'm evolving from a frizzy and a poofy to a wurly and a curly. Sounds silly, but I had no idea my hair was so wurly - Either the wurls have increased over time or I just never gave the wurls a chance.

I don't know how to post pictures yet, but my sideways avatar shows my hair a little.
Could someone help me with my hair type? I'm not sure what it is...
Have any of you found that curls increase with age or do you think it's mostly due to a change in routine/care?
And do most of you use gel over a leave-in?

Ok, enough questions. Thanks for your help!

I think a lot of people are surprised when what they think of as frizzy unruly hair just turns out to be curly hair that is protesting at being manipulated like straight hair. :)

A change in routine won't change your hair type per se. But, if you have genetically curly hair and you treat it in certain ways, you won't see the curl that is there. If it's dry, getting brushed out (if your type can't handle that) geting chronic flatironing or others things that can damage the cuticle and affect the curl pattern, then you may not see your genetic curl pattern.

You look a good solid 3a, and you seem to have a good amount of root curl that could lean 3b too, but I'd need a larger pic for details. Some use photobucket to post pics, and I use tinypic.

Your hair does have great definition and fullness from what I can see.

Curls can change with age and hormones. I've seen 3s turn into 1s post pregnancy, and 1s turn into 3s when they hit puberty.

I live on gel! Conditioner and gel are my best friends.

Roseate
September 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Wow, RCC, that's straight! It must take a miracle of modern engineering to get your curls to do that. :D

Heidi_234
September 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
RCC, you're way past waist now as far as I can tell! :D :cheer:

I'm not sure about the buns, maybe you're not out of the awkward Pyramid of Doom stage yet? Also, it might have something to do with the size of your curls. Did you ever try to air dry it in a rope braid?

Sia
September 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you rhubarbarin and redcelticculs!
I had no idea that one head of hair could change so drastically over a lifetime.
I think I'll start reading through this thread to get a better idea of what works for all of you (gel etc..) before asking more questions.
BTW, you really got your hair amazingly straight, redcelticcurls! I think your hair looks beautiful both straight and curly.

prittykitty
September 23rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
I just have never really liked my curly hair. The "of course" part in it is that I have posted many other posts where I have stated my dislike for my curls. They are hard to control and seem to want to go everywhere unless I use heat styling to smooth them. I have always wanted nice, straight, smooth long hair. I guess we always want what we don't have.

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I did a flax seed gel experiment, I've got so much shrinkage, I think my hair is almost like RCC's in her siggy now. It's actually rather soft now, no scrunchy feeling, although the curls are really stringy and skinny. *waiting on my denman*

ladylibra
September 24th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Gosh, I am so freakin back and forth about my hair...

I've been actively trying to grow out these layers, right? This was my hair with layers 2 years ago. Obviously it was quite a bit shorter, but the shape was actually pretty great:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/LadyLibra1982/lilfro.jpg

Now the layers are almost completely gone... and I have a giant triangle:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/LadyLibra1982/fro5.jpg

I figured my hair was long enough to be rid of the pyramid... apparently I was wrong. :laugh:

My dilemna now becomes, do I leave it for now and continue my quest for MBL, or get layers cut into it again?

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2009, 11:03 AM
ladylibra, why would you can layers back in if you tried to grow them out for so long? If you want to grow your hair long, I can't see how layers can work with it. It did back then because your hair was short, giving it a round shape around your head, now either way you go, it won't be pretty and round like back then.

With the FSG my hair puffed up back to BSL and even I got slight case of triangle awkwardness. It's going to take a while. :flower:

Curlsgirl
September 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Wow RCC they really got it straight! It's amazing how much more hair we curlies look like we have with it curly huh?

rhubarbarin
September 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I just have never really liked my curly hair. The "of course" part in it is that I have posted many other posts where I have stated my dislike for my curls. They are hard to control and seem to want to go everywhere unless I use heat styling to smooth them. I have always wanted nice, straight, smooth long hair. I guess we always want what we don't have.

It is true we always want what we don't have. But, I think people's relationship with their curly/kinky/frizzy/poofy hair is often unusually fraught. People with straight hair that 'just hangs' aren't always happy either, but at least there are always people in hair product commercials/ads that have hair just like yours. Curly hair still has an 'other' status in a lot of ways, and is seen as something that has to be controlled rather than enhanced and embraced..

Roseate
September 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
My dilemna now becomes, do I leave it for now and continue my quest for MBL, or get layers cut into it again?

I don't think I've seen all your hair down before- it's GORGEOUS!

I admit I like the more 'shaped' look better, but then I am a fan of (some) layers. My hair keeps the triangle no matter how long it grows unless I have layers to round off the corners, and it's not half as curly as yours.

But if you just finished growing them out, I'd say go for your goal before you put them back in, or you might feel like you're stepping too far back all at once. You have great hair either way!

Kimberly
September 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM

I've been actively trying to grow out these layers, right? This was my hair with layers 2 years ago. Obviously it was quite a bit shorter, but the shape was actually pretty great:

I figured my hair was long enough to be rid of the pyramid... apparently I was wrong. :laugh:

Your hair is so beautiful! You look like an Egyptian queen.

I never have understood why "pyramid head" is such a bad thing. When my hair was short enough to do it, I liked it on me, too.

freecelt
September 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for Quixii, Heidi_234, Roseate for your advice :) . *decides to learn how to do a Gibraltar bun.

freecelt
September 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
...But if I do pig tail rope braids it really revives my curls pretty good. What do you do with the ends? Are you able to get hem curly also?

GlassEyes
September 24th, 2009, 04:55 PM
The ends of my braids are always curly--but that's just my type.

And ladylibra, I'd say maybe cut layers in if it bothers you--just longer ones that'll grow out, but uh, is that really representative of what your hair normally looks like dried without layers? xD Unless you've been wearing it that way, I wouldn't judge until I've seen it in it's normal corkscrew state.

That said, I like having layers, just not the ones I have now. -_- Too. Short.

On a side note, I haven't worn my hair down a single day this week. o-o;; I've just been braiding it overnight and then bunning it the next day. Admittedly, this is working out rather well for me. XD; YAY FOR SAVING PRODUCT. SORT OF. STYLING PRODUCT ANYWAY.

ladylibra
September 24th, 2009, 06:39 PM
And ladylibra, I'd say maybe cut layers in if it bothers you--just longer ones that'll grow out, but uh, is that really representative of what your hair normally looks like dried without layers? xD Unless you've been wearing it that way, I wouldn't judge until I've seen it in it's normal corkscrew state.

Nah, this was a braidout that I dry brushed into a giant poof. :D

I've taken everyone's comments into consideration... :D We'll see how it looks completely straightened before I even think about bringing scissors anywhere near my head (except for a much needed dusting of the ends, which are full of single strand knots).

GlassEyes
September 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I hear you on those. I need a trim too. ): My ends are wonky, albeit not split, but I have a few faerie knots that need to go. Mischievous bastards, the fae. If I weren't so fond of them, I'd almost want to scream at them.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a trim, gods above, from my sister. @_@ And then letting her straighten it--I WANNA SEEEEEEE.

kmangus
September 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I am totaly envious of GlassEyes's nape curls!!! :)

redcelticcurls
September 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Wow RCC they really got it straight! It's amazing how much more hair we curlies look like we have with it curly huh?

It is weird isn't it? Ah, the miracles of silicone and a flat iron, and a blowdryer with a big brush, lol.

It would feel weird to have hair this straight all the time though. It just moves differently, and I'm not accustomed to it.

redcelticcurls
September 24th, 2009, 09:37 PM

I would never, ever, be without layers. Never. One length hair just doesn't suit my curl pattern and texture.

Granted, it did take me five years to get from shoulder length to now, but at least I got to do it in style I like.

You could do a wait and see for six month and then form your opinion then after you get some more growth. You could just be in an awkward length stage as opposed to having hair that just works better layered.

I do admit that I am biased in feeling that more curlies (though not all, especially those who are fine or i or ii) do better with layers than without.

RocketDog
September 24th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hopping in - I cut in some layers last week when I did my trim and I think my hair looks worlds better now. It falls better now, and the layers really accentuate the sproingy curls I'm developing now that my hair is getting longer. Sure, I have a harder time getting a neat end on a braid, but that's an easy fix - just leave the tassel longer. Buns aren't any more difficult than they were before, since I had funky sticky-outie ends before I cut the layers in.

longhairedfairy
September 24th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I just wanted to say that you all have such gorgeous curls in these pics!

TheEndlessOcean
September 24th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Greetings, fellow wurly/curlies! :)

I'll make a long question short by just asking, what products do you use to get your curls looking nice and defined that aren't loaded with cones? I've had very good luck with Kenra curl defining creme, but the first ingredient after water is cyclopentasiloxane, so I have to clarify fairly regularly, which I'd like to cut down on. I know a lot of you use gels and the like (I tried searching for gel, but it's too short, and I don't really have time to read all 2500 posts in this thread :o). Any recommendations, ideally ones that are easy to find and not too expensive? :D

Also, do you prefer coconut oil or jojoba as a leave-in? I've been using jojoba and I like it a lot, but I've heard lots of good things about coconut oil on here.

Aries_jb
September 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM
My favorite gel is Naturelle Hypo-allergenic Fragrance Free styling gel, which you can get at Sally's for about 6 dollars.

A comparable, but cheaper product is Volumax Styling Gel, which is also at Sallys and comes in a larger bottle for the same price as the Naturelle. It works similiarly to the Naturelle, but it's not fragrance free. It sort of smells like pineapple candy, but the scent doesn't last long.

As for oil, I prefer coconut. I mix a drop with my leave-in conditioner and it works pretty well for me.

GlassEyes
September 25th, 2009, 12:03 AM

I'll make a long question short by just asking, what products do you use to get your curls looking nice and defined that aren't loaded with cones? I've had very good luck with Kenra curl defining creme, but the first ingredient after water is cyclopentasiloxane, so I have to clarify fairly regularly, which I'd like to cut down on. I know a lot of you use gels and the like (I tried searching for gel, but it's too short, and I don't really have time to read all 2500 posts in this thread :o). Any recommendations, ideally ones that are easy to find and not too expensive? :D

Also, do you prefer coconut oil or jojoba as a leave-in? I've been using jojoba and I like it a lot, but I've heard lots of good things about coconut oil on here.

Jojoba nor coconut oil are strong enough as a leave-in for me. XD I still like leaving in a good dollop of my conditioner, and maybe a commercial leave in over that before applying any sort of oil or butter. They work better that way.

I like L.A. Looks, honestly, as a gel. It's dirt cheap, and you can get it at CVS. I used to use La Bella too, but I haven't touched it since trying to properly care for my hair. xD; Other good options, but more expensive are Curly Hair Solutions Gel (which is water based, so wouldn't tend to build up at all) and biosilk rock hard gelee--though I can get uber crunch with that. All of these are cone-free.

I am totaly envious of GlassEyes's nape curls!!!

XD; You guys are weird. :P But thank you.

Heidi_234
September 25th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Flax seed gel :wink:

Flynn
September 25th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Argh! Stupid HAIR!

Every individual strand is approximately curly, BUT NO TWO STUPID STRANDS ARE THE SAME. I look like such a mess at the moment...

manderly
September 25th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Hi-ho wurlies and curlies....checking in after a long absence :waving:

Awesome new photos I see here :eyebrows:.

Question for you all, my hair's been kind of a pain the last couple of weeks, and I'll admit to having less patience with it. I've also changed my routine up to do my natural curls after washing (I still haven't perfected the technique and products....working on it!) and having my natural curls for the first 2-3 days.....followed by me FLAT IRONING curls (looks really similar to my siggy which is wetset) into my now ratty, tangled hair (detangled first, of course) to allow for another 2-3 days before another wash.

Because of my now wicked flat iron use, I've been using cones again now and then, but using non-cone products underneath it, followed by cones on top to "seal" my hair. I know my ends are also not very happy about this new abuse, but, whatever hair, I want you to look a certain way, dammit! :p

I've been wanting to try some Kerastase products for a long time now, and I wanted to know if any of you have had any luck with them. I'm interested in the ciment thermique (http://www.kerastase-usa.com/_en/_us/resistance-ciment_thermique.htm) for some flat iron protection, but I also saw they had a curl product I was curious about, creme oleo curl (http://www.kerastase-usa.com/_en/_us/oleo_curl-creme_oleo_curl.htm). Has anyone used these products??

wiggleit76
September 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I've been wanting to try some Kerastase products for a long time now, and I wanted to know if any of you have had any luck with them. I'm interested in the ciment thermique (http://www.kerastase-usa.com/_en/_us/resistance-ciment_thermique.htm) for some flat iron protection, but I also saw they had a curl product I was curious about, creme oleo curl (http://www.kerastase-usa.com/_en/_us/oleo_curl-creme_oleo_curl.htm). Has anyone used these products??

I used to use ciment thermique (and still do for my occassional blow dry) and it's really good, especially for finer hair. I've heard that nectar thermique (http://www.kerastase-usa.com/_en/_us/nutritive-nectar_thermique.htm) is better if you have thicker hair though. Sorry I don't know about creme oleo curl, I hate all the oleo range it's all far too heavy for my fine hair.

Lamb
September 25th, 2009, 08:19 AM

I'll make a long question short by just asking, what products do you use to get your curls looking nice and defined that aren't loaded with cones?
Aloe vera gel is good stuff, I now use the JASON brand and love it! Also, any kind of leave-in without cones (Giovanni, or just a plain regular conditioner applied and scrunched into wet hair) will do the trick.

(I tried searching for gel, but it's too short, and I don't really have time to read all 2500 posts in this thread :o).
I'd pair the term ("gel") I want to search for with "curls" or "definition" or "frizz" or "leave-in" - whatever is likely to occur in the same context. :flower:

Curlsgirl
September 25th, 2009, 08:47 AM
It is weird isn't it? Ah, the miracles of silicone and a flat iron, and a blowdryer with a big brush, lol.

It would feel weird to have hair this straight all the time though. It just moves differently, and I'm not accustomed to it.Yeah it feels so LONG and hard to not let it get in the way of everything! Also I miss my curls BADLY after a week or so!

Leave-ins: KCKT leave-in, Biolage conditioning balm
Curl creams: AG re:coil or Boots pink curl cream
Gels: Pantene curl defining gel or LA Looks sports gel

Also I have been VERY happy after digging my Denman brush out to distribute product!!! It helps define my curls bigtime!

Hi-ho wurlies and curlies....checking in after a long absence :waving:

Awesome new photos I see here :eyebrows:.

Question for you all, my hair's been kind of a pain the last couple of weeks, and I'll admit to having less patience with it. I've also changed my routine up to do my natural curls after washing (I still haven't perfected the technique and products....working on it!) and having my natural curls for the first 2-3 days.....followed by me FLAT IRONING curls (looks really similar to my siggy which is wetset) into my now ratty, tangled hair (detangled first, of course) to allow for another 2-3 days before another wash.

Because of my now wicked flat iron use, I've been using cones again now and then, but using non-cone products underneath it, followed by cones on top to "seal" my hair. I know my ends are also not very happy about this new abuse, but, whatever hair, I want you to look a certain way, dammit! :p

I wouldn't use them because they are LOADED with cones but if cones are okay with you then maybe they'd be okay. I have only used the oleo serum. The smell is HEAVENLY and it's okay for frizz and when I straighten my hair. Otherwise I have HEARD the curly line isn't that great. :shrugs: And it's EXTREMELY expensive!

Heidi_234
September 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'd pair the term ("gel") I want to search for with "curls" or "definition" or "frizz" or "leave-in" - whatever is likely to occur in the same context. :flower:
You can also search "gel*", it would bypass the too-short limitation.

tangocurl
September 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I'll throw in my product preferences too...

For gel, I like Got2B. It smells good and has no cones. That, or the clear aloe vera gel that does not have to be refrigerated. (I use the keep-in-the-fridge variety for SMTs.)

When I do dry my hair curly, and wear it down, I oil with coconut oil when the hair is wet from the shower. Then I comb it out. Then I apply the gel, and then I re-wet the hair so that it clumps where I want it to. I don't like the skinny 80s perm look, which is what happens if I comb it with a fine comb when it is wet and then don't re-wet and re-clump it into larger pieces.

It takes longer to dry this way, but I get big soft bouncy curls that have just enough hold to be shiny and well-defined.

GlassEyes
September 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Tangocurl, you might want to try the supersoaker technique. It does a similar thing for me (bouncy, clumped curls as opposed to broken, thin ones) but it sounds somewhat easier than that. XD But whatever works for you.

On a side note, I got my flaxseed gel today! Oh, and oddly enough, I have decent braidwaves today. Note, decent compared to all the others I've had. They still suck. I'll take pictures anyway. XD

Sia
September 25th, 2009, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=GlassEyes;782960]Tangocurl, you might want to try the supersoaker technique. It does a similar thing for me (bouncy, clumped curls as opposed to broken, thin ones) but it sounds somewhat easier than that. XD But whatever works for you.

Glasseyes, I tried looking up info on the supersoaker technique but couldn't find anything. Could you explain it or post a link? Thanks:)

Heidi_234
September 25th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Glasseyes, I tried looking up info on the supersoaker technique but couldn't find anything. Could you explain it or post a link? Thanks:)
Here goes: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=81176
:flower:

Curlsgirl
September 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Okay I was doing pretty well with lots of conditioner for a while (a modified super soaker method) and then suddenly I started getting very dry hair and tangles after a day or 2. The only other thing I have been doing differently is working out. I wash my hair sometimes after I work out and sometimes I let it dry and go until the next workout. The dryness is all the time though not just when I don't wash it.

Oh I have been using KCKT more too. It is so good at making my hair easy to comb. Could that cause dryness too?

rhubarbarin
September 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Couldn't it be the weather change? We recently went from hot and humid to cool and dry where I live, and as usual I had to tweak my routine.

Curlsgirl
September 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM
No, right now it's still very humid and hot. It is supposed to cool down next week. We have had lots of rain but that usually doesn't do that. I am pretty sure the flat ironing I let them do at the salon several times has hurt it like I mentioned. Maybe that's the culprit :mad:

GlassEyes
September 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM

D: Sorry! :( That was incredibly stupid of me not to mention, considering it's on another site.

Edit: Sidenote: If you get BBs Flaxseed Gelee, the Eastern Amber scent is freaking AWESOME. Also, flaxseed gel is my frieeeeeeend.

IStand4u
September 25th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Haha! Wow, I'm going to try making flax seed gel myself soon (I hope) so any idea of what kinda oils to add to make it smell heavenly...
I wants the gel to be my friend, considering most gel isn't.... GRR!
And GlassEyes, I love your nape curls as well :D so awesome and actually I think they are cute :)

Sia
September 26th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the link Heidi 234! :flower:

Glass Eyes, it wasn't stupid at all but just to bug you a little - your nape curls are adorable! :inlove:

Heidi_234
September 26th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Haha! Wow, I'm going to try making flax seed gel myself soon (I hope) so any idea of what kinda oils to add to make it smell heavenly...

It's usually rather personal preference, but I like Rosemary EO, in the very beginning the scent is stronger and leaf like, or greenish, forest-ish, and then it evaporates and leaves a sweet subtle flowery scent.

Vanilla extract is a neat idea too (unless you dislike vanilla scent :p).

GlassEyes
September 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I wants the gel to be my friend, considering most gel isn't.... GRR!
And GlassEyes, I love your nape curls as well :D so awesome and actually I think they are cute :)

Thanks for the link Heidi 234! :flower:

Glass Eyes, it wasn't stupid at all but just to bug you a little - your nape curls are adorable! :inlove:

o-o;; XDDDDD;

It's usually rather personal preference, but I like Rosemary EO, in the very beginning the scent is stronger and leaf like, or greenish, forest-ish, and then it evaporates and leaves a sweet subtle flowery scent.

Vanilla extract is a neat idea too (unless you dislike vanilla scent :p).

Eee. I'd avoid vanilla extract, actually--high in alcohol, even the non-imitation stuff. :( I think you could scent it with any kind of EO or FO, actually. I may try making some and scenting it with BPAL, but I REALLY like This Eastern Amber one. XD;

AHA. I FOUND IT. MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH.

Heidi_234
September 26th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Eee. I'd avoid vanilla extract, actually--high in alcohol, even the non-imitation stuff. :( I think you could scent it with any kind of EO or FO, actually. I may try making some and scenting it with BPAL, but I REALLY like This Eastern Amber one. XD;
:doh: True! My bad. :o But I remembered someone adding vanilla *something* for the scent... hmm...
Of course, any EO or FO would work. :)

GlassEyes
September 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Maybe a fragrance oil? Or an essential oil--admittedly, I don't know if there IS a vanilla one. I'm no perfume expert.

I'm pleased. I found the eastern amber scent. Muahahaha. This stuff is freaking AWESOME.

Heidi_234
September 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Maybe a fragrance oil? Or an essential oil--admittedly, I don't know if there IS a vanilla one. I'm no perfume expert.

I'm pleased. I found the eastern amber scent. Muahahaha. This stuff is freaking AWESOME.
Hehe, are you going to make FSG with it?

GlassEyes
September 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Maybe. Or just scent EVERYTHING with it. :p

rhubarbarin
September 26th, 2009, 09:42 AM
There is vanilla EO, which doesn't have alcohol.

I can't wait to get my first order of BPAL and mix it up with some frangrance-free conditioners and lotions (I'm going to try Whole Foods 365 brand).

IStand4u
September 26th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Okay sounds like a plan I'll make some soon I hope :D I even have a bottle that I can use lol :D
Send me the pretty sent GlassEyes! Please? I'll be your friend! :D :D :D

manderly
September 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the input, guys :D

And Glasseyes, I find it extremely funny that you still have not given tangocurl a link to the supersoaker method. MUWHAHAHAHAHA

GlassEyes
September 26th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Why? Someone else already did. ;)

manderly
September 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Why? Someone else already did. ;)

Ahhh, did they? I must've missed it when I was scanning :eyebrows: :flower:

Dez
September 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I must be the odd one out. I've given up on gels and i've been using mousse. I don't know why noone else does, if it's a hair health thing. Like drying your hair or something? or just a preference. But for now i'm getting pretty nice curls.

Curlsgirl
September 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM
About the gel thing, I am wondering if that's what's been drying out my hair. This time I skipped it and it's not as curly but it's not so dry either. :shrugs:

Quixii
September 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Arg! So I've been thinking of trying the straightening method where you wrap your hair around your head for a while now. I decided today was the day.
It did not work at all. I put stuff in my hair in hopes it would dry smoothly, and then started the whole wrapping thing. Ick. Did not stay, tried clips, didn't work, the top got all poofed and tangled and gross. I haven't brushed my hair so often in a really, really long time. I finally gave up, re-rinsed my hair, brushed it one last time and threw it in a ponytail. It'll probably dry super frizzy. Grumble grumble.

Heidi_234
September 27th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Arg! So I've been thinking of trying the straightening method where you wrap your hair around your head for a while now. I decided today was the day.
It did not work at all. I put stuff in my hair in hopes it would dry smoothly, and then started the whole wrapping thing. Ick. Did not stay, tried clips, didn't work, the top got all poofed and tangled and gross. I haven't brushed my hair so often in a really, really long time. I finally gave up, re-rinsed my hair, brushed it one last time and threw it in a ponytail. It'll probably dry super frizzy. Grumble grumble.
Wrapping didn't work for me well, I think I have too much hair for it. At some magical point, when I try to wrap more hair, the already wrapped part pops up around the crown area, so I can keep wrapping it forever without getting it all wrapped. :doh:

Quixii, you know how I get it relatively straight nowdays? I brush my hair out, "wet" it with aloe vera gel, apply coconut oil on top, and bun it in a non twisted cinnabun for the night (I secrue it with a one of these short stockings which always happen to miss their pair :p). In the morning I brush it again, make sure it's dry. It turns out rather straight, not blow dry flowing stick straight but good enough for me.

On a different note - I tried something similar to the super-soaker method (obviously I don't have the gels and leave ins they use, just conditioner, coconut oil and FSG), and I had to modify it it because my hair wouldn't fit into my hands that nicely :p

Anyway, I hoped I get fatter clamps, but although they are not super stringy, they are not as fat as I thought they will be.

Curlsgirl
September 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM
It did not work at all. I put stuff in my hair in hopes it would dry smoothly, and then started the whole wrapping thing. Ick. Did not stay, tried clips, didn't work, the top got all poofed and tangled and gross. I haven't brushed my hair so often in a really, really long time. I finally gave up, re-rinsed my hair, brushed it one last time and threw it in a ponytail. It'll probably dry super frizzy. Grumble grumble.I can't get it pinned good either. I gave up!

Curlsgirl
September 27th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I found something that helped my dryness a lot and also gave me fairly nice second day curls. I usually leave my hair fairly straighish on the top few inches anyway, so last night before I went to bed, I put my hair in a pony tail and wet the part in the pony tail with my hands about 50 or a bit more wet. Then I put a LOT of coconut oil all through it and more on the ends. I slept that way and in the morning it was soft and nice frizz-free curls, enough to wear down to church.

I have been doing this with my braid tassel for a long time and got to thinking why not try it with MORE of my hair? Well it worked just as well and it's very shiny too! YAYYYYY, thought I would share with others who might benefit from it.

Quixii
September 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hmm, maybe I should finally get some coconut oil... Just one question:

... my hands about 50 or a bit more wet ...What does that mean? ^^;;

Heidi_234
September 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
What does that mean? ^^;;
I second the question :o

Quixii, you should. :cool:

rhubarbarin
September 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I think she meant 50% wet.

I never understood what you all were talking about re: the magic of coconut oil. It made my hair oily and coated. Fine for deep treatments, but deadly if I wanted presentable hair.

Then I started using extra-virgin olive oil and went 'Oohhhh! THIS is what everyone else gets with coconut oil!'.

Now I can have 2nd and 3rd day hair I can wear down. It sucks up great quantities, and I can reoil multiple times per day between washes. Dry rough hair turns soft and moisturized. Frizz turns to sleek shiny curls. I can even comb oiled hair (carefully - in spots) and it doesn't turn into a poof! It never makes my hair looks greasy or stringy. Blah blah blah... oil is wonderful. But it's got to be the right oil.

Curlsgirl
September 27th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Sorry! I thought I put a percentage sign there! OOP! Yes that is what I mean, about half or more wet. It was still very slightly damp in places in the morning.

I had sometimes used it on dry hair and it sort of helped but mostly just sat there. With water it makes a huge difference. And I had even used a coney rinse out conditioner (Dove extra moisturizing) when I washed on Friday night.

GlassEyes
September 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I can use coconut oil or olive oil when my hair is wet and get fairly good results. I like both. :shrug:

Curlsgirl
September 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Olive oil is a little too heavy for me but then my hair is not as curly and gets weighed down a little easier probably. I LOVE coconut oil. My hair can take loads of it!

tangocurl
September 27th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Blah blah blah... oil is wonderful. But it's got to be the right oil.

I use extra virgin coconut oil when my hair is wet, sorta wet, dry, clean, dirty, curly, straight. I use it all the time. The more, the merrier. Any other oil I have to watch out for too much.

Flynn
September 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Olive oil is a little too heavy for me but then my hair is not as curly and gets weighed down a little easier probably. I LOVE coconut oil. My hair can take loads of it!

Yucky smelly heavy olive oil! >_o

I find walnut oil to be very light, and very light in smell, too. Works very nicely in my fine hair ^__^

IStand4u
September 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Awe! You all make me wish I lived in a bigger place with stores that I can buy the nice oils at! I currently use EVOO and I found it heavy at first it's fine now, I just have to use the right amount in the right way. I still have to see if I can brush my hair with it and stuff though! I hope I can!
I think I can, I think I can! Yes! I can! Just kidding, still have to experiment!

Flynn
September 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Awe! You all make me wish I lived in a bigger place with stores that I can buy the nice oils at! I currently use EVOO and I found it heavy at first it's fine now, I just have to use the right amount in the right way. I still have to see if I can brush my hair with it and stuff though! I hope I can!
I think I can, I think I can! Yes! I can! Just kidding, still have to experiment!

Surely your local supermarket at least has rice bran oil? That's meant to be pretty close to camellia oil...

IStand4u
September 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Surely your local supermarket at least has rice bran oil? That's meant to be pretty close to camellia oil...
Not at all! Lol I work at the grocery store and I've checked... maybe I can get my boss to order some :P

Flynn
September 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Not at all! Lol I work at the grocery store and I've checked... maybe I can get my boss to order some :P

Wow, really? That's rough. Rice bran oil is as pervasive as olive oil here...

IStand4u
September 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Wow, really? That's rough. Rice bran oil is as pervasive as olive oil here...
Yeah, I'm thinking of checking at the small farm store that we have on a farm outside of the town I live in to see if the lady has any coconut oil coming in anytime soon... *crosses fingers and hopes*

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I think she meant 50% wet.

I never understood what you all were talking about re: the magic of coconut oil. It made my hair oily and coated. Fine for deep treatments, but deadly if I wanted presentable hair.

Then I started using extra-virgin olive oil and went 'Oohhhh! THIS is what everyone else gets with coconut oil!'.

Now I can have 2nd and 3rd day hair I can wear down. It sucks up great quantities, and I can reoil multiple times per day between washes. Dry rough hair turns soft and moisturized. Frizz turns to sleek shiny curls. I can even comb oiled hair (carefully - in spots) and it doesn't turn into a poof! It never makes my hair looks greasy or stringy. Blah blah blah... oil is wonderful. But it's got to be the right oil.

I use extra virgin coconut oil when my hair is wet, sorta wet, dry, clean, dirty, curly, straight. I use it all the time. The more, the merrier. Any other oil I have to watch out for too much.

rhubarbarin, I have the same experience as you with EVOO but with coconut oil, just like tangocurl, I can (and do) use it in every state of hair-being, sometimes few times a day in great quantities. Many people swear by it, so I think it's worth a try.

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Coconut oil has been by FAR the best thing I have discovered since coming to LHC and that is saying a LOT! Today my hair is still VERY soft and shiny! :cheese:

GlassEyes
September 28th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Yeah--I can't get avocado oil in non-specialty stores either. :(

I've always been confused about the olive oil smell. It doesn't smell bad to me--just thick, oily, traditional viscous smell to it.

Edit: I think I reached another milestone in curly-growth. I now have to flip my hair over my shouder to apply product to the back of it when it's wet. Also, if I pull it down straight when it's wet, the lowest layer brushes my spine a bit past my shoulderblades.

******mit. D< Granted, this may be my imagination, but I'm done wondering. I'm asking my sister to blow out and straighten my hair tonight. Dunno when she'll do it, but I wanna KNOOOOOOW.

IStand4u
September 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah--I can't get avocado oil in non-specialty stores either. :(

I've always been confused about the olive oil smell. It doesn't smell bad to me--just thick, oily, traditional viscous smell to it.

Edit: I think I reached another milestone in curly-growth. I now have to flip my hair over my shouder to apply product to the back of it when it's wet. Also, if I pull it down straight when it's wet, the lowest layer brushes my spine a bit past my shoulderblades.

******mit. D< Granted, this may be my imagination, but I'm done wondering. I'm asking my sister to blow out and straighten my hair tonight. Dunno when she'll do it, but I wanna KNOOOOOOW.
Awesome! I'm so happy to hear about this for you! It's so exciting! You're hair is growing! Lol, I hope it's not you're imagination! And tell us about if it did grow or not!

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM
GlassEyes, I wondered how long your hair is now. The term 'short' is rather relative. I just did a small trim and my hair feels short to me too. :p

IStand4u
September 28th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I know what you mean Heidi my hair feels really short when I get a trim, and yeah... but his hair is finally growing longer! yay!

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM
My hair is waist straight (about 33 inches) and it still feels short to me. I wonder if it always will, probably because so many here have so much longer!

tangocurl
September 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM

I wanna see it when it is done! :D

tangocurl
September 28th, 2009, 11:05 AM
My hair is waist straight (about 33 inches) and it still feels short to me. I wonder if it always will, probably because so many here have so much longer!

I know what you mean. I was looking at the end of my braid this morning, and I saw that I need another foot of length before it will seem actually long to me. That's two full years of growth....

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I know what you mean. I was looking at the end of my braid this morning, and I saw that I need another foot of length before it will seem actually long to me. That's two full years of growth....

*long sigh*

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I know what you mean Heidi my hair feels really short when I get a trim, and yeah... but his hair is finally growing longer! yay!

Yeah, I think it's the hairdressers' fault. They persistently traumatized my gentle longhair soul but make it way too short, over and over and over again. I know for sure I trimmed less than an inch on myself, but subconsciously I'm probably use to have my hair way too short after any trim or cut. Evil evil evil! :nono:

Hey, my hair is hip length now, and it starts to feel long. It's not only about other people's pictures, but what you personally consider long. For me hips+ is long, so I'm starting to see it as long now, although I would definitely consider it long on somebody else's back. :o

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I think it's the hairdressers' fault. They persistently traumatized my gentle longhair soul but make it way too short, over and over and over again. I know for sure I trimmed less than an inch on myself, but subconsciously I'm probably use to have my hair way too short after any trim or cut. Evil evil evil! :nono:

Hey, my hair is hip length now, and it starts to feel long. It's not only about other people's pictures, but what you personally consider long. For me hips+ is long, so I'm starting to see it as long now, although I would definitely consider it long on somebody else's back. :o

Absolutely! I guess I THOUGHT waist would feel long and now well not so much! Of course the curls make it shrink back so much and that's a lot of it.

tangocurl
September 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM

I agree. It seems that the same length feels shorter on me than it looks to me on other people. It took a while of growing out layers to get the bottom thick enough to even count in my mind. And, I have not worn it down in 6 weeks. Having it up all the time makes me forget what length it really is.

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I am always surprised when I look in the mirror at the back, almost every time. What's up with that? :)

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Absolutely! I guess I THOUGHT waist would feel long and now well not so much! Of course the curls make it shrink back so much and that's a lot of it.
I've been around BSL and/or midback/waist for many years, it will never feel long for me. But I think many people realize waist length looks longer than it feels. Not to mention curly heads, since it's not waist when it's curly anyway.

It's just about waist on me curly, but for the most part it's BSL/midback, and it felt so short when I wore it curly that on day 2 I caved in and brushed it out, just to feel the length. And of course it made my hair all frizzy and impossible to be worn down. :rolleyes: I wish I'd start experimenting with my natural curls when I had more length. *sigh*

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
We curlies sure have been through a lot! :)

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM
We curlies sure have been through a lot! :)
And will be going though alot. Just did a quick photoshop for my goal length, and it's - WOW. :thud: I really can't wait.

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM
And will be going though alot. Just did a quick photoshop for my goal length, and it's - WOW. :thud: I really can't wait.

Ooooooooooooo can we see? :D

redcelticcurls
September 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM

I'm at 32 straight, and I keep thinking how long it is straight, lol.

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM

That too!!! :lol:

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Ooooooooooooo can we see? :D
Oh, okay (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4009&pictureid=51402). :p It's a bad photoshop work though, but uh, whatever. :o

:rollin: happens in the best of us. :doh:

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Oh, okay (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4009&pictureid=51402). :p It's a bad photoshop work though, but uh, whatever. :o

The link didn't work. :(

tangocurl
September 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM
That looks great, Heidi.

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
The link didn't work. :(
Befriend me. How come you're not my friend yet? :confused:

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
That looks great, Heidi.
Thank you, it probably won't be as thick in reality, but that doesn't bother me.

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Befriend me. How come you're not my friend yet? :confused:

You haven't asked me yet! LOL! Just did!

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Just saw it!!!!!!! WOW!!!! *thud*

Ryanne
September 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM
It doesn't look that bad. It'd look awesome when you're actually there, though.

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Just saw it!!!!!!! WOW!!!! *thud*
Grow grow grow :yumm:
I really can't wait! :lol:

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM
It doesn't look that bad. It'd look awesome when you're there though.
Hehe thanks. :flower: It better look awesome :twisted: ;)

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Grow grow grow :yumm:
I really can't wait! :lol:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I wish I knew how to photoshop! It doesn't look at all that bad of a job to me!

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I wish I knew how to photoshop! It doesn't look at all that bad of a job to me!
Well you know somebody who knows photoshop though :p
Just drop a good pic, I'll see what I can do. :)

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Well you know somebody who knows photoshop though :p
Just drop a good pic, I'll see what I can do. :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm don't think I have a recent one. Let me go look though! :cheese:

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Okay I was right. I really don't have many pictures at all. I am bad about that. :o When I wash my hair again I will get DH to take a picture. Is there any certain way I should get him to take it like leaving room at the bottom so you can add length?

ladylibra
September 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Granted, this may be my imagination, but I'm done wondering. I'm asking my sister to blow out and straighten my hair tonight. Dunno when she'll do it, but I wanna KNOOOOOOW.

I want pics! :D

Speaking of "hair anorexia" ;) I was just discussing this with a lady at work. We are both MBL, but she is only 5' 4" and it just looks so much longer on her for some reason. She said, "I bet if we measured in inches, your hair would actually be longer!" (I am 5' 9".) I still feel mine looks short when straightened... I don't think I'll feel it's "long" until I reach waist.

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I want pics! :D

Speaking of "hair anorexia" ;) I was just discussing this with a lady at work. We are both MBL, but she is only 5' 4" and it just looks so much longer on her for some reason. She said, "I bet if we measured in inches, your hair would actually be longer!" (I am 5' 9".) I still feel mine looks short when straightened... I don't think I'll feel it's "long" until I reach waist.

We understand!!! :hugs:

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Okay I was right. I really don't have many pictures at all. I am bad about that. :o When I wash my hair again I will get DH to take a picture. Is there any certain way I should get him to take it like leaving room at the bottom so you can add length?
Yeah, I can't clone you a body too :lol: So have a picture that shows all your hair (preferably clamped together, as opposed to laying all over the shoulders) and all the way below to to your goal so I can add it there.

GlassEyes
September 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I'll take pics.

Oh, I promised pics after my flaxseed gel and braidwaves, huh? Oops. xD I'll get those up soon--though the latter sucked more than I though.

I'm going to try experimenting with the flaxseed gel used like a leave-in. Apparently some people do that.

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I'll take pics.

Oh, I promised pics after my flaxseed gel and braidwaves, huh? Oops. xD I'll get those up soon--though the latter sucked more than I though.

I'm going to try experimenting with the flaxseed gel used like a leave-in. Apparently some people do that.
Oh, you shouldn't leave it in? :confused: Oops. I used it like a regular gel.

I dislike braidwaves, I think it works better for people with wavy hair. :?

Quixii
September 29th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I always felt guilty for not liking braid waves. I just really don't like how the look in hair, though people with a natural waviness similar to the one braid waves give can look okay..

Now, rope braid waves/curls on the other hand - I'm so excited! I did my first rope braid Saturday night (the #1 thing I wanted to learn when I joined LHC) and it gave me these great curls (since it was still damp) that even day are here and my friends noticed. I'll for sure be doing more damp rope braiding and rope braiding in general. Now if only I could get my ends to blend in to the rest of the hair!

Heidi_234
September 29th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I always felt guilty for not liking braid waves. I just really don't like how the look in hair, though people with a natural waviness similar to the one braid waves give can look okay..

Now, rope braid waves/curls on the other hand - I'm so excited! I did my first rope braid Saturday night (the #1 thing I wanted to learn when I joined LHC) and it gave me these great curls (since it was still damp) that even day are here and my friends noticed. I'll for sure be doing more damp rope braiding and rope braiding in general. Now if only I could get my ends to blend in to the rest of the hair!

Yeah I hate braidwaves on my hair, just looks weird!

Yay for ropebraids! I love them, they are so freaking awesome! :D :D Did you see my rope braid curls? I used to do my hair like that all the time, but for some reason they don't work for me well anymore. :? I still love my dreadcurls :inlove:

Curlsgirl
September 29th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I can't clone you a body too :lol: So have a picture that shows all your hair (preferably clamped together, as opposed to laying all over the shoulders) and all the way below to to your goal so I can add it there.:p Okay!

I dislike braidwaves, I think it works better for people with wavy hair. :?Me too! They look stupid on me and just straighten my hair more. I think you are right, people with wavy or straight hair seem to like them better.

Oh my gosh I have GOT to try this! So just leaving the ends out to curl up doesn't blend in with the rest?

Flynn
September 29th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Yay for ropebraids! I love them, they are so freaking awesome! :D :D Did you see my rope braid curls? I used to do my hair like that all the time, but for some reason they don't work for me well anymore. :? I still love my dreadcurls :inlove:

Me too! I feel they look hideous on me! Really unnatural.

Rope braids and bun curls all the way.

Ryanne
September 29th, 2009, 08:29 AM
The same for me. I should try rope braids again though, it looked very nice the two times I managed those.

rhubarbarin
September 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Any 'waves' from a style just fight with my natural curl/wave pattern and I end up with very funky creases and bends - even hair that sticks straight up or out to the side.

Luckily as long as I style my hair after it's dry, having it bunned or braided doesn't mess up my curls much.

I do love to do a loose rope braid over each shoulder with wet hair - it gives me the best clumps.

ladylibra
September 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Okay then... so I am the only curly here that likes braidwaves! :laugh: They have to be from smaller braids though, in order to look decent.

Aries_jb
September 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM
It's funny because I like braidwaves, but I dislike the look of ropebraid waves. To me it looks unnatural. When I can manage them, I love bunwaves, though.

GlassEyes
September 29th, 2009, 11:31 AM

XD I meant like a leave-in conditioner, with normal gel and styling product applied above it. :p Instead of using it as a gel.

I hate braidwaves, but those were the best I've ever gotten. Still sucked though. :D

As far as my hair being straightened, I didn't get the chance to ask her yesterday. :shrug: Besides which, she's acting like a jerk as always. :rolleyes: I may just get it straightened; might be emasculating and expensive, but at least I won't have to listen to her bitch.

Quixii
September 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Oh my gosh I have GOT to try this! So just leaving the ends out to curl up doesn't blend in with the rest?
Not really. Definitely more blended than if I had done it on, say, my sisters 1b (or so) hair, but still a difference. Maybe I just have to make sure I get all the way done to the end.

freecelt
September 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Me too! I feel they look hideous on me! Really unnatural.
Me too! I know part of that is my how my hair tapers it just causes some funky looking braid waves :rolleyes:

freecelt
September 29th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I'll for sure be doing more damp rope braiding and rope braiding in general. Now if only I could get my ends to blend in to the rest of the hair! Yeah...let me know if you get that figured out. I have trouble with my ends being straight while the rest is wavy/curly :mad: .

Heidi_234
September 30th, 2009, 02:42 AM
When I was airdrying in a rope braid, after tying it I would twirl the tassel as well, in the same direction I twirled the two sections in the ropebraid. It blended well enough for me. :shrug:

ladylibra
September 30th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Maybe the problem is leaving a tassel? I twist all the way down, even if it means taking hair from one twist section and combining it with the other so the rope braid contines all the way down. I do this with braids too. ;)

Heidi_234
September 30th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Maybe the problem is leaving a tassel? I twist all the way down, even if it means taking hair from one twist section and combining it with the other so the rope braid contines all the way down. I do this with braids too. ;)
But you need to tie it somewhere, don't you? My tassel is usually less than an inch long btw.

redcelticcurls
September 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Okay then... so I am the only curly here that likes braidwaves! :laugh: They have to be from smaller braids though, in order to look decent.

I like braidouts and twistouts on 3c and up hair.

redcelticcurls
September 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Back to normal hair.

Well, I've reached the end of blowout endurance.

Yesterday, the last 10 inches or so was getting really puffy. But, since it has rained every day since my blowout, getting 6 days out of it was pretty good. I did a little S&D since I'm post-color and it is a lot easier to do on the straighter hair.

I did an overnight DT last night with Curl Junkie Curl Rehab (the gardenia one that smells lovely) and oiled the last foot or so on top of that with Greenridge Herbal Hot Oil hair Treatment. (http://www.curlmart.com/Greenridge-Herbals-Hot-Oil-Hair-Treatment-p-773.html)

As a whole, I really hate liquid oils on my hair as they just make my hair all crunchy and dry and seem to block moisture. I like buttery type oils as a sealant on damp hair on wash days. Oil sealing on damp hair does help the whole porosity thing.

But, this liquid one I like, if only on really wet hair. Maybe it has to do with the way it is blended. I still had the bottle from the winter, which had one application left. I also like the rosemary smell it has. My hair felt much better this morning. My nape where my coarsest hairs are) had started to get itchy and wiry feeling, partly from the fresh color, and probably partly from the arrival of fall weather.

I rinsed this morning and used a keratin rich conditioner. My hair is still wet, but it does feel nice and back to normal.

ladylibra
September 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM
But you need to tie it somewhere, don't you? My tassel is usually less than an inch long btw.

These are two big twists/rope braids wrapped around each other, but I figured the visual would help illustrate my point better than words:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/LadyLibra1982/IMG00363-20090905-0047.jpg

Heidi_234
September 30th, 2009, 11:54 AM
RCC it sounds like a nice oil, although EVOO does just fine for me as a hot oil treatment (it's just a little PITA to remove heh).

Now my time to share, an annoyance though - I read a little bit about polyquats on NC, and found them in my cone free conditioner I've been using. How annoying is that?! It's the only brand of conditioners that don't contain cones, but do contain EDTA (which is essential for me since I regularly swim in a icky chlorine pool). The only alternative might be Nature's Gate conditioner, but they are 4 times the price!

:justy:

redcelticcurls
September 30th, 2009, 11:56 AM
SOme polyquats build up more than others. If it's not building up, I wouldn't worry about it.

But, if one is getting unexplained buildup, learning about polyquats is helpful.

Heidi_234
September 30th, 2009, 12:06 PM
These are two big twists/rope braids wrapped around each other, but I figured the visual would help illustrate my point better than words:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/LadyLibra1982/IMG00363-20090905-0047.jpg
lol my rope braid is much less chunky than yours and I jusy twist the tassel without tying it too. Looking at my own best rope-braided curls pic, I don't see any weird ends. I think people with different curl type might able to get it to twist that well below the tie, which results the weird ends. :shrug:

Some polyquats build up more than others. If it's not building up, I wouldn't worry about it.

But, if one is getting unexplained buildup, learning about polyquats is helpful.
Well, I can never be sure, since I have some icky tangly velcro like ends all the time. But information is power, so it's good to be aware that something can build up on my hair after all.

09robiha
September 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
curly girls offer me your pearls of wisdom!!.....
I have 2b/c type hair with growing out layers that just frizzes and looks horrid no matter what. I always put in leave in conditioner and scrunch it up but it still frizzes around the top. What am i doing wrong? Also how do you revive day after hair?

Dez
September 30th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I have 2b/c type hair with growing out layers that just frizzes and looks horrid no matter what. I always put in leave in conditioner and scrunch it up but it still frizzes around the top. What am i doing wrong? Also how do you revive day after hair?

my hair was/is like this also. Firstly most important i have to use some kind of mousse or gel to keep it under control. Mousse is what i use right now because it holds the best it seems and also gets all my hair. With gel it was crunchy and if i didn't spread it well parts of my hair would get missed and would frizz, it also took a long time to dry. Anyway. Now that my hair is getting healthier it really frizzes less on top now. But my canopy is still frizzier than underneath which curls really nicely. Also if I just put a leave in and don't want to put any mousse or anything. I twist the canopy into curls as it dries and that helps it frizz less.

PurpleAshes
September 30th, 2009, 06:20 PM
SOme polyquats build up more than others. If it's not building up, I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh man! I've never really paid attention to polyquats...:(
Any recommended reading?

redcelticcurls
September 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
curly girls offer me your pearls of wisdom!!.....

What type of routine are using now? What products do you use?

redcelticcurls
September 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Oh man! I've never really paid attention to polyquats...:(
Any recommended reading?

Here's (http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/09/silicones-polyquats-and-soap.html) a good blog post that covers silicones, polyquats, and soaps (like poo bars).

Here (http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/07/polyquat-update.html) is another article from the same blog that deals with strictly polyquats. There is a link to an NC.com article in that post as well.

Heidi_234
October 1st, 2009, 03:42 PM
I just did a second try on the FSG. I figured I will not put coconut oil, because if I do it before the FSG it will probably just wash out when I do the super soaker thing (as you probably don't know or remember, my hair formed in very stringy curls first time I used the FSG, so I decided to do the super soaker trick), and if I start applying coconut oil after I applied FSG it will sabotage the curls that are forming, since I apply coconut oil from top to bottom for better coverage. So in short, I ended up skipping the coconut oil as my hair dried.

My hair dried SO FRIZZY. I did leave in a conditioner, but clearly it's not enough or something. I tried to sooth the frizz with coconut oil now that it's dry, but I guess it's too late. Apart from the frizz curl formation looks great, not stringy at all this time. :)

/rant

btw, thanks for the poliquat read, RCC :flowers:

rach
October 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM
thought i'd try a poll to see which way your curls twirl
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34220 :D

tangocurl
October 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
Here's (http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/09/silicones-polyquats-and-soap.html) a good blog post that covers silicones, polyquats, and soaps (like poo bars).

Here (http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/07/polyquat-update.html) is another article from the same blog that deals with strictly polyquats. There is a link to an NC.com article in that post as well.

These are very informative! Thanks for sharing them :)

GlassEyes
October 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Heidi, the super-soaker method was formulated to be used with lots of leave-in and product. I'm not surprised those are the results you got since you don't use a leave-in, even if you count the coconut oil. It's basically just soaking your hair without the 'base coats'.

PurpleAshes
October 1st, 2009, 08:14 PM
redcelticcurls, thanks a lot for the links:)

redcelticcurls
October 1st, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'm glad the links went well. The science of ingredients is really interesting to me.

tangocurl
October 1st, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'm glad the links went well. The science of ingredients is really interesting to me.

I haven't been wearing my hair down/curly much lately, mostly up. But it is making me re-think the polyquats in gels. I wonder if a layer of coconut oil before putting in gel would help keep it from sticking onto the hair. I only use shampoo (Avalon organics lemon) about every 10 days or so. Hmm....

Heidi_234
October 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM
Heidi, the super-soaker method was formulated to be used with lots of leave-in and product. I'm not surprised those are the results you got since you don't use a leave-in, even if you count the coconut oil. It's basically just soaking your hair without the 'base coats'.
I did it before, with coconut oil but without FSG, the curls were somewhat disappointing but no massive frizz. I did leaved in my regular thick conditioner I used both times. :shrug: It didn't seem to me like she used alot of product in her video, I must have missed that part or something.

I only use shampoo (Avalon organics lemon) about every 10 days or so. Hmm....
I didn't touch any shampoo (SLS or SLS free) for months now :wigtongue

Heidi_234
October 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Okay, I got frustrated and brushed it all out. This curly thing is way harder than I thought. :(

I noticed that my underlayer formed nicely a was pretty much frizzless, but my canopy was all frizz, and the FSG made my hair stiffer to the touch. I tried to smooth it down with AVG, water, watered down conditioner, coconut oil. It looked like crap so I just brush the heck out of it. I know it's a short lived remedy, but I just find myself brushing the curls out on day because I can't stand them anymore.

IStand4u
October 2nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
I know how you feel about that Heidi_234, though I must have gotten lucky because my curls didn't dry really crunchy or dry or anything, they were still really soft to the touch when I let them dry...

I have a dilemma! My friend had lice and I noticed my head has been itchy for the last week or so... well I don't have lice (thank gosh), but my scalp is getting to be too oily and keeps producing too much and then it dries out all of a sudden so it's really itchy... there is no happy medium!!!!!!!!!! It makes me mad! any solutions???? Please help me out!

curls2grow
October 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
I 've been thinking of getting a seamless fine-tooth comb to help me with detangling. Does anyone have recommendations? Please do not tell me to get a Denman.

I currently apply leave-in to help with detangling, then I use a wide-tooth seamless comb. I don't have many split ends, but I do get tangles and fairy knots towards the ends. I was thinking that after using the wide-tooth comb, I could use the fine-tooth comb to help make sure I didn't overlook some tangle spots.

I was thinking of a Creative (http://www.creativetool.com/Product%20Pages/Combs/handmade3/C55R.jpg) or Mason-Pearson (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=56281&catid=108586&brand=17768&trx=GFI-0-MBS&trxp1=108586&trxp2=56281&trxp3=2&trxp4=2). They both look like fine-tooth combs with thin handles on them. A handle makes it easier for me to hold the comb for some reason, so that's what I'm leaning towards.

Do any of you longer-haired curlies use a fine-tooth comb at any point to detangle wet hair? TIA for replies!

GlassEyes
October 3rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
I 've been thinking of getting a seamless fine-tooth comb to help me with detangling. Does anyone have recommendations? Please do not tell me to get a Denman.

I currently apply leave-in to help with detangling, then I use a wide-tooth seamless comb. I don't have many split ends, but I do get tangles and fairy knots towards the ends. I was thinking that after using the wide-tooth comb, I could use the fine-tooth comb to help make sure I didn't overlook some tangle spots.

I was thinking of a Creative (http://www.creativetool.com/Product%20Pages/Combs/handmade3/C55R.jpg) or Mason-Pearson (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=56281&catid=108586&brand=17768&trx=GFI-0-MBS&trxp1=108586&trxp2=56281&trxp3=2&trxp4=2). They both look like fine-tooth combs with thin handles on them. A handle makes it easier for me to hold the comb for some reason, so that's what I'm leaning towards.

Do any of you longer-haired curlies use a fine-tooth comb at any point to detangle wet hair? TIA for replies!
Get a Denman. :lol:

Actually, I don't think that'll help anyway--I'm pretty sure my Denman causes some damage (even if it IS basically a comb-in-brush-form), and it makes the top of my head form awkward waves at times.

I use a creative wide-toothed comb from tenderheadedaccessories.com, and I was thinking of getting a fine-toothed seamless comb to help with rollersets provided I can get them to work well enough. :justy: But I don't think that would be a problem. :shrug: Since you're detangling with a wide-toothed comb first and limiting the resistence that the fine one will receive, it seems fine, though I think the pixie-knots are a curly/fine-haired thing to deal with no matter what.

I should probably try another rollerset. I don't really care about having straight hair--I just need a way to get my hair to be in a form I can bun for a few days without washing before school during the winter. Some days my casses start at 8--not nearly enough time for my hair to dry in a braid overnight. :p

Aries_jb
October 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I like the combs from hairsense.com.

Curlsgirl
October 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I love my Denman. I hope it's not causing breakage, don't think it is. I never use a fine tooth comb. I would never get it through my hair. :eek:

GlassEyes
October 4th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I used to comb with them all the time. Then again, I also used to brush my hair when it was wet with conditioner. :D Made the curls clumpier (thus the theory behind the denman). Didn't think of it as damaging (or cared) until I got here. XD;

Heidi_234
October 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I find a Denman as good as a fine tooth comb for detangling, if not better. Seems to get plenty of the shed hairs out so I'm happy with it.

Oh, I think to reconsider what I said about braid waves - I started doing tighter neater braids, and my hair came out in a very nice braid waves. Well, at least nicer than my own curls at the moment. :rolleyes:

LoversLullaby
October 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I'm a curly here! =)
I always use a wide-tooth comb (I think it's Goody, I got it from Walgreens). Start at my ends and detangle while going up. But I use a brush on my hair when it's all nice and dry.

IStand4u
October 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I just use my fingers to detangle and then sometimes use my awesome comb/brush... no seams and it's wonderful!

Aries_jb
October 4th, 2009, 03:31 PM
For some reason, I find Denmans scary. I've used a wide-toothed comb for so many years, and a couple years ago switched to a seamless widetooth comb and never looked back.

JaneinMarch
October 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM
The denman makes my hair too flat. I also have a hairsense comb and a little horn comb for detangling.

Btw, I have one year growth pics in my album! Woo hoo! :cool:

Ryanne
October 4th, 2009, 11:10 PM
My hair killed it this week, but I use a seamless widetooth comb.

curlywurlygurly
October 4th, 2009, 11:40 PM
hi *waves*
I'm a curly girl (well more a wavy) from Australia, so I thought I'd pop in and say hi.

For whoever was looking for a denman in Australia I picked mine up at hair house ware-house(HHWH), and you can also get them in priceattack as someone mentioned.

I didn't mind the denman it did seem to pull my waves out more, however it was fabulous on my scalp. I never got to finish experimenting with it as my boyfriend got his hands on it and took it to his parents house; once there it's as good as gone (last time i asked his sister liked it, so she had it *rolls eyes*). I guess it's partially my fault as i had bought it for him/ us so that I could use it too and he wouldn't complain that I'd been buying more hair things.

Curlsgirl
October 5th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I discovered a new cute way to wear my hair! It's a messy bun actually I guess but I never could get it to look right before this. This is how I did it.

I put my hair up in a high ponytail with an elastic and divided the ponytail hair into two sections. The first section I take and wind around one side of the elastic like you would a bun but loose and pin with Amish pins leaving some curls out to hang around the side. Then I take the other section and wind it around the other way and pin also (needs to be UNDER the first section you wind). Then I just pulled various strands of curls out and left them, some longer and some shorter, just random. Oh and I also left a strand out in the front on each side before I did the ponytail. It's very comfortable and looks really cute I think! I think it would preserve the curls pretty well too in case I want to wear it down the day after or later. :D

girlcat36
October 5th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I discovered a new cute way to wear my hair! It's a messy bun actually I guess but I never could get it to look right before this. This is how I did it.

I put my hair up in a high ponytail with an elastic and divided the ponytail hair into two sections. The first section I take and wind around one side of the elastic like you would a bun but loose and pin with Amish pins leaving some curls out to hang around the side. Then I take the other section and wind it around the other way and pin also (needs to be UNDER the first section you wind). Then I just pulled various strands of curls out and left them, some longer and some shorter, just random. Oh and I also left a strand out in the front on each side before I did the ponytail. It's very comfortable and looks really cute I think! I think it would preserve the curls pretty well too in case I want to wear it down the day after or later. :D

Um, you need to post pictures when make a post like that! :D

Ryanne
October 5th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Will you take a picture of it, Curlsgirl? I can't really visualize directions. :uhh:

Curlsgirl
October 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I know I know I am TERRIBLE about putting pictures up! I will set my phone to remind me tonite I promise! :D

Stubborn
October 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Hey curlies/wurlies. I was wondering how hair types around 3a comb their hair? I haven't combed in 8 months unless you count fingercombing... Also any detangling methods?

I've read a lot of the thread but it's huge, lol.

Curlsgirl
October 5th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hey curlies/wurlies. I was wondering how hair types around 3a comb their hair? I haven't combed in 8 months unless you count fingercombing... Also any detangling methods?

I am mostly 3a and I use a Denman when I get out of the shower with detangling leave-in conditioner in my hair. I used to just finger comb but I always felt it was tangled and it bugged me that I couldn't get all the shed hairs out. Also the Denman does great for clumping. Once I do this I let it dry and don't brush or comb again until next time I shower.

Heidi_234
October 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm 3a-not-3a, and I comb/brush my wet or dry with no issues. You can go from the bottom up, I guess it's safer but I don't do it.

I start at the top, and if I encounter a knot or anything, I take the comb out and insert it an inch below and continue until the ends or until the comb snags again on something. When I made it to the ends and had to stop, I start again from the roots and comb all the way down/until the comb snags. I repeat this until the comb goes smoothly from roots to tips.

My ends tend to be super tangly because their still damaged, so with them I go from bottom up, or if I use the denman I brush only the surface and then go deeper into the hair.

HTH :flower:

IStand4u
October 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'm 3a-not-3a, and I comb/brush my wet or dry with no issues. You can go from the bottom up, I guess it's safer but I don't do it.

I start at the top, and if I encounter a knot or anything, I take the comb out and insert it an inch below and continue until the ends or until the comb snags again on something. When I made it to the ends and had to stop, I start again from the roots and comb all the way down/until the comb snags. I repeat this until the comb goes smoothly from roots to tips.

My ends tend to be super tangly because their still damaged, so with them I go from bottom up, or if I use the denman I brush only the surface and then go deeper into the hair.

HTH :flower:
wow, that is exactly how I brush my hair except I don't have a fancy comb! lol

Stubborn
October 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the advice curlsgirl and Heidi I'm going to to see what happens.

Curlsgirl
October 5th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the advice curlsgirl and Heidi I'm going to to see what happens.

Let us know! Oh and I start from the ends and work up, just less tangles and easier for me.

Heidi_234
October 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM
wow, that is exactly how I brush my hair except I don't have a fancy comb! lol
lol, well before I bought the denman (highly recommand that brush! worth any penny), I used my VERY cheap plastic wide tooth comb. I still love it :p

Curlsgirl
October 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
lol, well before I bought the denman (highly recommand that brush! worth any penny), I used my VERY cheap plastic wide tooth comb. I still love it :p

I totally agree!!!

tangocurl
October 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM

I have wooden combs and a horn comb; no brushes. I have a wide comb that I use first, then I go progressively finer-tooth. I can even get a fine-tooth comb through it on a good day and use that to get a precise effect with no wurls/scalp showing places/loopy lumps for a slicked-back look.

Conditioner is enough to detangle my hair in the shower, generally, unless I sleep with air-dried curly hair all loose on a cotton pillowcase. I might still be able to comb through my hair at that point, but coconut oil would really help it in that case.

freecelt
October 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM
After using a pick like a comb and finger combing for a looooong time I recently bought a wide tooth comb and am loving it :cheese:

ladylibra
October 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I've never had any damage from my Denman. If I get a section of tangled hair that's too much for the brush to handle... the brush literally comes apart! The rubber base that slides out of the handle for cleaning, you know? It just pops right out.

Mind you, I can break a comb in my hair this way. :laugh: So the Denman has been a lifesaver for me...

Curlsgirl
October 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I've never had any damage from my Denman. If I get a section of tangled hair that's too much for the brush to handle... the brush literally comes apart! The rubber base that slides out of the handle for cleaning, you know? It just pops right out.

Mind you, I can break a comb in my hair this way. :laugh: So the Denman has been a lifesaver for me...

Yep I have had that happen too! Hee hee! LOVE it! I too have broken many a brush in my day! :lol:

GlassEyes
October 6th, 2009, 05:25 PM
o-o It slides out? Really? XD;

I dunno, it just feels odd to have a brush go thruogh my hair--always feels like it's tearing something. xD;

Curlsgirl
October 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
o-o It slides out? Really? XD;

I think it was my Denman that did that. Not the bigger one but the regular sized one. I need to go check now.

Yep it is!

GlassEyes
October 6th, 2009, 05:37 PM
XD I'll have to check that.

Oh, I picked up some of the Garnier Triple Nutrition Deep Treatment, and I have to say, for $4.50, it freaking rocks my socks off. It works WAAAAAY better than the more expensive deep treatments I've bought (or the ones I've made) including that stuff from Deva, Heaven in Hair (meh). I've been using it as a leave-in too, and I plan on keeping it in my routine/stocking up--it's REALLY freaking good.

At this rate, I'll be able to use all cheap products--I use lustrasilk and coconut oil for sealing, and L.A. Looks or Biosilk over that, sometimes with the flaxseed gel (which I love more for the scent than anything else, really), and I use suave for CO washing or the rip-off biolage stuff from sallys. I find gel easier to scrunch out than KCCC at the moment. :D YAY. I hope this routine keeps working, 'cause then I'll have more money--minus the occasional treat. I still REALLY like Aubrey Organics.

Oh, another thing. You know the Africa's Best Line? I've been using their hair 'conditioner' to oil with, and it's freaking incredible--and the first ingredient is petrolatum. o-o;; Heck, the Triple Nutrition DT has mineral oil as the second or third ingredient, I think. And I haven't upped my shampoo/clarifying washes, so I guess they just work for me. :shrug: I also use it to seal my ends, just like the coconut or cholesterol--though I use the cholesterol alongside something else.

And now i'm off to do homework instead of waxing poetic on hair. XD;

GlassEyes
October 8th, 2009, 09:47 AM
So, against my better judgment and in poor taste, I uploaded pictures of the "decent" braidwaves I got, and photos from when I straightened my hair. To see the latter, though, you have to be my friend. Feel free to request me if I've communicated with you at least once. xD;

Heidi_234
October 8th, 2009, 10:15 AM
GlassEyes, I didn't think you looked awkward with straight hair, it's probably just a matter of being or not used to it. I felt really awkward with my hair curly in the beginning, with all that volume around my head.

GlassEyes
October 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM
It felt more awkward for me to NOT have curls. If anything, I had more volume straight than curly--my hair blew all over the place the hour it was straight. XD;

Curlsgirl
October 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM
It felt more awkward for me to NOT have curls. If anything, I had more volume straight than curly--my hair blew all over the place the hour it was straight. XD;

Mine definitely does this too unless I get it straightened at the salon with a flat iron. I can't believe I used to wear it that way all the time and think it looked good. :o It was SO frizzy and ugly, not yours mine.

ladylibra
October 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I liked the pic GlassEyes... even if you do look less-than-enthused... :D

I should share my straight hair pic with y'all. I pulled a muscle in my lower back/hip area... made for a fun birthday yesterday :rolleyes: so... maybe if I can hobble in the other room, get my camera, hobble back in here and hook the camera up to the computer to transfer the files... :laugh:

I will upload them soon though. Before the weekend. ;)

Curlsgirl
October 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I liked the pic GlassEyes... even if you do look less-than-enthused... :D

I should share my straight hair pic with y'all. I pulled a muscle in my lower back/hip area... made for a fun birthday yesterday :rolleyes: so... maybe if I can hobble in the other room, get my camera, hobble back in here and hook the camera up to the computer to transfer the files... :laugh:

I will upload them soon though. Before the weekend. ;)

Sorry about your pulled muscle!!! {{{{{ladylibra}}}}}

Curlsgirl
October 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM
It WAS the gel that was making my hair dried out. I have stopped it and my hair is great again! :cheese:

Heidi_234
October 8th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Curlsgirl, I'm glad you find the culprit! (lol I wrote 'curlprit' :laugh:)

And talking about gel - can I have frizz free curls without gel? It is crucial to control the frizz? It supposed to give hold, but I don't mind if my curls are droopy or something, it just the frizz that annoys me.

Dez
October 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I asked to befriend you GlassEyes!

ladylibra- sorry about your back, there's not much worse areas to get a pulled muscle. Everytime you move you have pain, i hope you feel better soon.

And i agree heidi_234 about the frizz, i hate frizz, if i could have any kind of defined tame curl without any product i would, But instead i get a frizzy mess. :rolleyes:

rhubarbarin
October 8th, 2009, 03:55 PM

This - my curl clumps/waves contain the obscene amount of body my hair has. Without it clumped together and held down by product, it gets EVERYWHERE (up, down, around, in my shirt, in my mouth, in my eyes, in my boyfriend's mouth, in his eyes, in the car door, out the windows, etc).

Curlsgirl
October 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM

And talking about gel - can I have frizz free curls without gel? It is crucial to control the frizz? It supposed to give hold, but I don't mind if my curls are droopy or something, it just the frizz that annoys me.For me the gel is not what controls my frizz. It only helps hold the curl but really not that well anyway. For me, there are several curl creams that work well for that and also coconut oil works well other than creams. Or if you like cones there are lots of products that work. I don't usually use cone leave-ins because the no-cone products work just as well or better without buildup.

Have you tried:

AG re:coil
Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Boots pink curling cream

For cone curl creams I used to like Garnier soft curl cream but they quit making it. It was amazing!

I always use a leave-in conditioner under these and usually but not always coconut oil on top either when almost dry or dry.

Aries_jb
October 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM

And talking about gel - can I have frizz free curls without gel? It is crucial to control the frizz? It supposed to give hold, but I don't mind if my curls are droopy or something, it just the frizz that annoys me.

Depends on individual curl types of course, but some people can control frizz by using a good amount of creamy leave-in. Or you could try a hair cream with a bit of hold or a leave-in with a bit of hold, like Potion 9.

girlcat36
October 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM

I don't use gel.
Right now I am getting very good curl formation and a reduction in frizz(I know I will never be completely frizz-free) by using 1/2 aloe gel and 1/2 castor oil mixed together.
I have used it on dry hair and wet hair.
It is especially effective for me as an overnight treatment before a wash day. I braid my hair halfway down, and wet the tassel, then work in the mixture and go to sleep.
I am able to wear my hair down on the 4th or 5th day with the help of this mixture.

Right now my routine is---wet hair, condition length with VO5 condish, the shampoo scalp only with Jason Thin-to-Thick, rinse, condition with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, rinse again and add a final leave-in of AO Honeysuckle Rose.
Drip dry--no towel!
Add Potion 9, then a little of the castor/aloe mix.

For the record, my hair is thin, super fine, fly-away, and fragile.

Curlsgirl
October 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I don't use gel.
Right now I am getting very good curl formation and a reduction in frizz(I know I will never be completely frizz-free) by using 1/2 aloe gel and 1/2 castor oil mixed together.
I have used it on dry hair and wet hair.
It is especially effective for me as an overnight treatment before a wash day. I braid my hair halfway down, and wet the tassel, then work in the mixture and go to sleep.
I am able to wear my hair down on the 4th or 5th day with the help of this mixture.

Right now my routine is---wet hair, condition length with VO5 condish, the shampoo scalp only with Jason Thin-to-Thick, rinse, condition with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, rinse again and add a final leave-in of AO Honeysuckle Rose.
Drip dry--no towel!
Add Potion 9, then a little of the castor/aloe mix.

For the record, my hair is thin, super fine, fly-away, and fragile.

Your hair is looking SO lovely!!! Just had to say that! Um and where do you get this Potion 9 I hear about. Is it expensive? What does it do?

girlcat36
October 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Your hair is looking SO lovely!!! Just had to say that! Um and where do you get this Potion 9 I hear about. Is it expensive? What does it do?

Thank you, Curlsgirl! :)

I get my Potion 9 at CVS, it is 15.00 and lasts me about a year, but my hair is fine and thin---I don't need a lot.

I think it helps with curl formation.

Curlsgirl
October 8th, 2009, 06:59 PM
So it would replace curl cream? Does it help with frizz?

girlcat36
October 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
So it would replace curl cream? Does it help with frizz?

Yes, and yes.

Curlsgirl
October 8th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm may have to add it to my collection! I have been doing so well too!

GlassEyes
October 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I'm curious too. I think I've looked for it at CVS to no avail the last time it was mentioned here, though. ): And I'm in the same state as Girlcat, if memory serves! D:

Though I AM in a completely different area, that's still annoying. I'll check again more thoroughly next time. xD;

beachwaves
October 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Any advise for my collar bone length hair. I am growing out a side swept bang which is chin length now and I feel blah about my hair. It is wavy so it looks messy with it being short...:confused:. I get frusterated with the fly-aways. I just am bored with my short hair I think.

Any hairstyle suggestions or styling products or styling routines out there?

Help a wavy girl out:o!

beachwaves
October 8th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Pretty hair...I love your flower in your hair. I wear mine like that alot too.

Heidi_234
October 9th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks guys for the input. I can't try your product recommendations since I don't live in the US. :? All or at least most of the leave ins and hair cream here contain cones or mineral oil, so I've been using my thicker conditioner that I like instead. I already read about mixing AVG and oil 50/50, that's very interesting Girlcat, I'll try it.

Curlsgirl
October 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Thanks guys for the input. I can't try your product recommendations since I don't live in the US. :? All or at least most of the leave ins and hair cream here contain cones or mineral oil, so I've been using my thicker conditioner that I like instead. I already read about mixing AVG and oil 50/50, that's very interesting Girlcat, I'll try it.

Can you order things online or is it too expensive?

Curlsgirl
October 9th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Any advise for my collar bone length hair. I am growing out a side swept bang which is chin length now and I feel blah about my hair. It is wavy so it looks messy with it being short...:confused:. I get frusterated with the fly-aways. I just am bored with my short hair I think.

Any hairstyle suggestions or styling products or styling routines out there?

Help a wavy girl out:o!

I guess it's too short to put up really but you could use little clips to keep it out of your face or a headband, both of which are so popular right now. Also messy is in, and beachwaves!!! :cheese: Do you want to grow it out then? If so, the in between stage is something we all had to go through so you just have to be patient. Try to do things like some of the conditioning treatments you see here as you grow and avoid trims if you can. Anyway, good to see you here!

ladylibra
October 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Okay, I have a few pics to share. :D

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/LadyLibra1982/pink2-1.jpg http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/LadyLibra1982/pink4-1.jpg

This is after straightening and sleeping with it in a braid, hence the slight waves. I could've gone back over it a second time with a flat iron to take the waves out... but didn't feel like using that much heat. I wasn't really feeling the straight hair this time around, although it was nice to see the length. I washed it after a few days.

Sorry about the back fat in the second picture :o but it does serve as an important marker. Right below those rolls will be waist length for me. :cheese: