PDA

View Full Version : New job and effects on hair

Amara
November 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I think my new job is going to make my hair healthier!

My hair cannot be down, at all - no braid, no ponytail. It has to be up all the way. That means, among other things, I'll hopefully do another updo variety challenge sometime soon. (Oh who am I kidding, I have to work super early, there's no way I'm going to be able to do more than a figure 8 :D )

I wear my hair up most of the time at work, but with this new job it will be 100% while I'm at work, so I'm thinking my hair will benefit. My hair is also always up when I teach dance, which is four nights a week.

The other change is, we're not allowed to have any hair in our faces - layers, bangs, etc. So this might finally encourage me to grow my bangs out! (I've been waffling on that forever - I always grow a bit and then cut, endlessly...) So for a while I'll be pinning them back, by necessity. If I can keep growing them, that would be less hassle in 8 months or so when they get long enough to go back into french braids and stuff.

Just thinking out loud. :)

Chamy
November 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Thats great! Congratulations on the new job. :)
May i ask what kind of job it is that requires even pinned back bangs?

jojo
November 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Congratulations on your new job, my job makes it so much easier to look after my hair, I am a RN and were not allowed to have out hair touching our collars, so for 45 hours a week, its oiled and bunned!

Amara
November 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Thats great! Congratulations on the new job. :)
May i ask what kind of job it is that requires even pinned back bangs?

I was kind of surprised by the bangs thing, too! It's a Scooters, which is a cafe, much like Starbucks (well-trained baristas, muffins, bottled water, that's about it). I'm going to be a manager there. (Don't worry, I'll use my powers for good and not evil :D )

Chamy
November 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I was kind of surprised by the bangs thing, too! It's a Scooters, which is a cafe, much like Starbucks (well-trained baristas, muffins, bottled water, that's about it). I'm going to be a manager there. (Don't worry, I'll use my powers for good and not evil :D )

Wow, thats cool, a great job and hairprotection all in one. And you get secret powers with the job you say? ;) haha

*Rose Red*
November 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Congratulations to your new job! It sounds great! and it protects your hair :D

JamieLeigh
November 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Sounds awesome! Good luck with both job and hair! :D

......and it's ok to be a LITTLE evil, once in awhile. ;)

jivete
November 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I wonder if the "no hair in face" rule is to discourage the massive amounts hipsters we have in KC from applying. :p

I'm just kidding of course. Congratulations on your new job.

enfys
November 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM
You're quite welcome to serve me coffee and food with no hairs in it, any time you want.

I'm training for a new job which will be the death of my hair. I have to take respirator and dust masks on and off all day with their elastic headbands, get dust in my hair and sweat.

jera
November 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Good luck with your new job and your growth aspirations. :D

:cheese:

lora410
November 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Awesome and I am glad you will be the good not :evil: manager. Since you have experience I have a question for you. I have an espresso maker but I stick at getting milk to froth right. Either I run out of room in the cup or it barely froths at all. any hints :D

Papillonnoir
November 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I'm not the OP, but I am a barista, so I'll have a go at answering that question. It depends on the machine you have, to some extent. Some have built in frothers, but assuming yours doesn't, the basic technique is to fill a pitcher about halfway full, or a little more. Start with the wand submerged in the milk, and turn on the steam all the way. Now, slowly lower the pitcher until you hear a soft hissing sound, and the tip of the wand is right at the surface, incorporating air. Keep it hear for a few seconds, until the milk becomes lukewarm. Then submerge again, and try to coax the milk to whirlpool, beating out the large bubbles.
Overly foamy milk is caused by incorporating too much air, or sometimes by making the milk too hot. Flat milk, on the other hand, is just because not enough air is incorporated. Listen for that hissing noise, and maintain it for about 3-5 seconds.
The kind of milk you use can also make a difference. Soy is very variable. The cafe I work at uses a special soy that foams beautifully, but other brands often don't froth well. Even ordinary cow's milk can vary quite a lot, so perhaps try a few different brands.

JCFantasy23
November 17th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I've never heard of not even having bangs show before, but you're right on this being a great incentive for the hair!