PDA

View Full Version : Experiencing with jojoba

celelu
November 13th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I started to oil my hair from the ears down with jojoba and keep it braided for one or two hours before to wash it (CWC). This makes the middle third extra shiny, soft and heavy (in a poised way... I don't know how to say it... just wonderful! :cheese:), but the lowest third gets dry and tangled as it never has been before. If I oil without washing, the whole lenght turns into a huge knot, so just forget it.
Have you experienced something similar? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or I should try another technique...
Thanks!

pepperminttea
November 13th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I get this too, sort of - my ends always stay dry (though I use coconut oil rather than jojoba), but with mine I'd assumed it was because I need to trim my ends.

sweetestday
November 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I've been experiencing that with my ends and coconut oil. I thought it is funny... you'd think it would make the ends less dry.

practikalmagik
November 13th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I've had that happen with my ends, I thought it was just cos they're the remains of the last time i used commercial dye but maybe it's the oil too hmm....

Teufelchen
November 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM
My ends, which have chemical dye in it, don't like jojoba oil. They tangle much easier if I use it. I have used Argan oil and my hair loves this. They don't tangle at all, even if I use it as a leave-in. I think that the hair reacts differently on differnt oils.

bikerblue
November 13th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Coconut oil does this to me and to some extent so does jojoba. I've started to use castor oil mixed with olive oil as a prewash heavy oiling this makes my hair soft and makes the ends look fuller, also have used sweet almond oil as a leave in and liked it, but i'm desperate to try camellia oil i've heard good things about it.

chrissy-b
November 13th, 2009, 11:21 AM
My hair does this with jojoba if I oil it when my hair is dry. Coconut and olive oil are the only ones that work on dry hair. When I put jojoba on my hair when it's wet, it works much better.

ChrissieM
November 13th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I need to make sure I have moisturized hair before I use oil....it doesn't seem to do anything if my hair is dry. The best time for me to oil is after an SMT, which I do weekly.

Maybe you need to use a boar-bristle brush to help bring the jojoba oil you are using down through all of your ends before you braid it?

Vanya
November 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I second ChrissieM with the suggestion of spreading the oil with a BBB. It does wonders for my hair. Else I just can't seem to distribute the oil evenly and to all my ends.

Anje
November 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I used to have much more issues with dryness when I oiled my hair dry than I do currently. I think how your hair reacts to oil can vary with your hair's condition.

Have you tried getting your hair damp (maybe misting it) before oiling it? Oftentimes, that can make a huge difference. A mixture of oil and conditioner might also make a big difference.

Also, try different oils. Coconut does this to me, and I never cared much for jojoba. Sesame, on the other hand, is an oil that makes my hair feel smooth and soft no matter how I apply it.

celelu
November 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Hey, thanks everyone!
Since I didn't feel there was any problem with bringing oil evenly on all the lenght, I'll try to moist my hair before I apply it.
I'll see if this works by tomorrow...

celelu
November 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Niiiice! Ok, now that I had my hair wet before I apply oil, there is still a bit of dryness and tangling at the very end of my hair, but most of the lenght is dramatically better. I can't stop playing with it! I guess I'm on the right way.
Would it make a difference on the effects of jojoba oil if I add a few drops of essential oil to it, since I don't really like the smell?

little_acorn
November 14th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Niiiice! Ok, now that I had my hair wet before I apply oil, there is still a bit of dryness and tangling at the very end of my hair, but most of the lenght is dramatically better. I can't stop playing with it! I guess I'm on the right way.
Would it make a difference on the effects of jojoba oil if I add a few drops of essential oil to it, since I don't really like the smell?

I think you'd be ok. I sometimes use some ESO in mine with no problems. I also like to mist mine sometimes before oiling the length too :D

HTH :flower:

emi77
November 14th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I have Virgin hair- its never been dyed, straightened regularly or heated regularly.

Earlier this year when I started oiling (with EVOO) my hairs were beautifully soft. But recently I've noticed that no matter how much I saturate the ends, they're still dry!

I've tried on wet and dry hair. I'm going to try with coconut oil soon and see if it still happens.
I too, assumed it was because I needed a trim. But now I'm not so sure!

Marions
November 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM

I think it depends on which oils you use. I would only use EOs recommended for dry hair (lavender, sandalwood, rosemary, jasmine, rosewood), not lemon or mint though they're my favourite smells.

camirra555
November 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I haven't tried jojoba oil but my experience with coconut oil and olive oil is that it works better if I put a leave in moisturizer/conditioner on my hair before the oil

celelu
November 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I had my half-year trim two weeks ago, and it was dry anyway, so I guess that's not the problem for you neither...

ZenBird07
November 14th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I have Virgin hair- its never been dyed, straightened regularly or heated regularly.

Earlier this year when I started oiling (with EVOO) my hairs were beautifully soft. But recently I've noticed that no matter how much I saturate the ends, they're still dry!

I've tried on wet and dry hair. I'm going to try with coconut oil soon and see if it still happens.

When was the last time you clarified your hair? Maybe you could be mistaking velcro-like build up for dryness? Try a clarify if you haven't in a while -then condition and start over again with your oils perhaps...HTH:)

prittykitty
November 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I haven't tried jojoba oil but my experience with coconut oil and olive oil is that it works better if I put a leave in moisturizer/conditioner on my hair before the oil
I notice the same thing. I have to use a leave in conditioner before I oil my hair.

ericthegreat
November 15th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I agree with the previous posters about oiling your hair slightly damp or even wet with water first before slathering it with the oil. See, the oil in itself will really not feed your hair the actual WATER that it craves. Ergo, once you wash the oil right out of your hair, if your hair didn't have sufficient moisture in it before you oiled it it won't have sufficient moisture in it afterward either.

On a personal note, my own experiences have found that coconut oil is among one of the most moisturizing oils other than Ojon nut oil which I have using right now. Any kind of nut oil I have used really seems to both add in its own kind of moisture and seal in that moisture as well.

Jojoba oil is in fact a liquid wax, not an actual oil and while its chemically similar to human sebum it still has many different properties that are not the same as human sebum so that may be why for some people jojoba oil may not work as well for them.

Hairbear
November 15th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I find jojoba great. I can tun a comb through after oiling with it and there are no tangles.

emi77
November 15th, 2009, 03:12 AM
When was the last time you clarified your hair? Maybe you could be mistaking velcro-like build up for dryness? Try a clarify if you haven't in a while -then condition and start over again with your oils perhaps...HTH:)

Great idea! You're probably exactly right! I haven't clarifyed for a while!- I'll try this today! Now if I could just find the baking soda...... :face:

Kris Dove
November 15th, 2009, 03:38 AM
My ends do this with olive oil, but they seem to be okay with sweet almond oil.

emi77
November 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I have just clarifyed and my ends are soft and moisturised (i put some olive oil back on them!)
Thank you so much for the tip ZenBird07!

ZenBird07
November 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I have just clarifyed and my ends are soft and moisturised (i put some olive oil back on them!)
Thank you so much for the tip ZenBird07!

I'm so glad I was able to help you troubleshoot...:)

Melisande
November 15th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I mix oil with conditioner for maximum moisturizing benefits ;-) To my surprise, my hair really likes being spritzed with water AFTER I put in the oil.

I find a mixture of coconut and olive oil very strengthening for my hair. Camelia oil makes it soft, and avocado oil is a wonderful new addition to my coconut-olive-mixture. But whatever I put, I always either mix it with conditioner or add water afterwards.

celelu
November 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yay, so many good ideas!
Now, what about a potentially bad one: I love the scent of almond extract, that's what I wished my hair would smell like, even though some can find it too sweet, and I know it can be nauseating if abused of. Is there any counterindication to add a few drops of it in, say, sweet almond oil? If not, I might give it a careful try...

celelu
November 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Ok, looks like I found something like an answer. The three ingredients of my almond extract are Water, Propylene glycol, almond extract. I don't fear the first too much, the last is what I'm looking for, and the second one rang a bell in my memory... I ran to my favorite shampoo bottle and found it well in place in its ingredients. So, I guess it can't be THAT terrible if used with parcimony...

AnimaSola3o4
November 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I just bought my first bottle of jojoba oil. All because my boss had a bottle in the closet in the bathroom at work and I'd try it on dry hair and my hair seemed to like it. I can just put a few drops in my palm, rub my hands together, and run it through basically my canopy and ends. I have not tried it with wet hair yet.

My hair used to LOVE misting with a water/oil mixture, FWIW. I haven't tried it in a while but if I remember correctly, it helped bring out my curls.

The bottle of jojoba oil I bought recommends adding a tablespoon to your shampoo and conditioner and even adding a teaspoon to your face wash/body wash. I am considering all of the above! :)