PDA

View Full Version : VO5 Hotoil Treament? Any good?

Aerith
November 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hey all,

I've had a VO5 hotoil tube in my bathroom draw for some time now and recently found it again. Has anybody every used V05 hotoil and is it any good?

http://img.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Conditioner/Moisturizing-Hot-Oil/ID=prod8883&navCount=0&navAction=push-product

I'm always a little scared to try anything new on my hair, so I decided to ask for opinions first from those who know best (LHC of course)! :)

Thanks for reading!

Shermie Girl
November 12th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I used VO5 hot oil treatments, years ago. They were okay. Certainly didn't hurt my hair, at all.

I don't remember if they were pure oil or contained other ingredients. Why not just warm it up and slop it in? Can't hurt. :D

Carolyn
November 13th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Since you already have it, why not use it? It's not as nice as just plain oil IMO but it's OK. Don't waste it.

Aerith
November 13th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Alright, I'll give it a try before my next shampoo! Thanks. :)

Copasetic
November 13th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I would say give it a shot, but my personal experience with them was not good. It left my hair feeling quite dry. From what I understand this is because they have a lot of protein in them.

Darkhorse1
November 13th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I always liked those. I find that regular oil from the home works too, so use what you have and then play around with your kitchen stuff ;) (oils that is).

Have fun!

Delila
November 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I use those AFTER I shampoo and condition, basically as the last step as part of my deep conditioning routine.

Madame J
November 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM
My mom has a great story from her childhood about VO5 hot oil treatment. Apparently, it used to come in a bottle, like shampoo, and my grandmother reached for that bottle without looking when washing my mom's very long hair as a girl. Well, she kept rubbing "shampoo" into my mom's scalp, and it wasn't foaming, so she kept adding more and more. She was pretty coated in the stuff before my grandmother realized her mistake. According to my mom, she had really shiny hair for like a month after that.

Dars
November 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I used to use them years and years ago! :) They were a great introductory start to oiling hair.

Darscilla
November 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I would say give it a shot, but my personal experience with them was not good. It left my hair feeling quite dry. From what I understand this is because they have a lot of protein in them.

Ditto that. We have practically the same product here in the UK, and it is a MEGA protein treatment. I do one occasionally, but it tends to work out expensive, because I need at least two tubes to cover my hair now it is longer.
So yep, if you want protein, use that, if you want a deep conditioning treatment, normal oil would work and be cheaper :)

Aerith
November 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks everyone. :) I think my hair needs tons of moisture instead, so I will hold off on it a bit since that treatment is loaded with protein.