PDA

View Full Version : Worried about receding hairline

camirra555
November 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I don't have a receding hairline...yet. I am worried about it happening though because of how frequently I now bun my hair. My younger sister used to always pull her hair back and bun it and about three years ago it became obvious that her hairline was receding so she started wearing her hair down everyday and now her hairline looks pretty much normal.

In university I also had a roommate for three years who had the same type of hair as me and my sister. She also frequently bunned her hair and eventually had a severe receding hairline. She did the same thing as my sister and started wearing it down every day and now it's almost back to normal. I have a feeling she might have used a growth product but I didn't want to ask cause I felt like it was a sensitive subject.

I try not to pull my hair back too tight but with curly hair you do have to do it kind of tight to get it to lay down smooth. I'd like any suggestions for preventing a receding hairline. I don't want it to get to the point where my hairline recedes and I have to say goodbye to protective styles and wear it down everyday.

Themyst
November 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'll be watching this thread as I bun my hair daily now. Since it's now thigh-length, the bun is getting heavy and pulling my scalp. It hurts. Some suggested using tiny clips all the way around my bun to even out the weight, but that doesn't seem to work for me. I'll start wearing it down (or scarf it, hey, that's an idea) if I find out that bunning can cause receding damage. :eek:

Kris Dove
November 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
This is a cause for concern for me too- I can feel phantom pulling sometimes when my hair is up and feel as if I'm being plucked! There's no visible receding but I don't want to risk it starting.

DARKMARTIAN
November 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Oh darnit......mine is going the opposite way....now you cant even see where my hairline stops and my eyebrows begin!!!!!..HAHAHA!!!

enfys
November 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Mine's more like Darkmartian; a bit of recession might do me some good.

However, I think you need to make sure it's not so tight you can't move your face; you might get extra pulling every time you get a bit too expressive! In the articles section there's tips for softening and giving more height, which may not work so well with curly hair but maybe it could be adapted.

With very long/heavy hair you might find some relief by making buns with as big a surface area as possible, spread out over your head so it's more distributed.

talecon
November 12th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I have a really big forehead. We all think partly because my grandmother (who I lived with when I was younger) used to tie my hair back so tight everyday into a ponytail braid. nobody in my family has a big forehead so I dont really think its because of genetics unless I'm the only lucky one *cough cough*
When I tried a relaxer years ago and most of my hair fell out, my big forehead was even more apparent. my hair started growing back but my big forehead still seemed so much bigger.
Now since I recently got pregnant and had a baby I have had amazing hair shedding which only made my hair thinner and made me worry about possibly getting a receding hairline. to me it seems as though I'm finally starting to grow more hair along my hairline but I'm still worried my hair thinning would be noticeable to other people. the last thing I need is a bigger forehead and a bald spot on my head :poot:

klcqtee
November 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Nightshade wrote an article about how to add a bit of poof to the front of a bun, and relax the look a bit more. As she put it, she doesn't always want to be a part of the "tight bunned mean ladies club".

I'm not sure how well it works with hair as curly as yours though...You could also do a loose messy bun with a part. I find that that tends to pull my hair at the temples more than my forehead.

camirra555
November 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to have to check out Nightshade's article

Anje
November 12th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Another option is to put your bun more on top of your head, so it just sits there, rather than pulling back on your hairline to stay up.

Personally, I love the way curly hair looks when it's gently pulled back, so that the curls show rather than the hair being pulled straight back. So if you can do that and have it feel secure, go for it.

CherrySilver
November 12th, 2009, 06:53 PM
That's what I'm doing, and it's working well for me now that my hair is getting past classic. However, I don't like the look as much as having it softly pulled back, but it's not hurting like it used to due to the weight...

Another option is to put your bun more on top of your head, so it just sits there, rather than pulling back on your hairline to stay up.

Personally, I love the way curly hair looks when it's gently pulled back, so that the curls show rather than the hair being pulled straight back. So if you can do that and have it feel secure, go for it.

aprilmay
November 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I wear my hair pulled back in a bun, ponytail, or braid fairly often. I worry that my hair is receding (not sure if that is a valid concern or not), but I have not connected this worry with hairstyles. I figure it is part of aging like my gray hairs that stick straight up out of my part.

ravenreed
November 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I get more pulling when I put my bun on top of my head, I don't know why. I am not too worried about my buns causing receding at the hairline as they are not too heavy yet, but I might start wearing double buns more often to distribute the weight better.

linda g
November 13th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Just a side note, some people do have a genetic tendency to a receding hairline as they age, no matter what hairstyle they use. This is a trend in the women in my family, and none of them bun their hair.

Nightshade
November 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to have to check out Nightshade's article

The link's in my siggy, if that saves you the trouble of going and digging the article up :)

camirra555
November 13th, 2009, 09:04 AM
The link's in my siggy, if that saves you the trouble of going and digging the article up :)

Thanks Nightshade. I was actually dreading going on a hunting expedition to find the article. It looks pretty easy so I'm definitely going to give it a try

GlassEyes
November 13th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I worry somewhat about this too.

Maybe try slicking it back, then gelling the front so that you don't have to pull as tight to get it to be smooth? That's what I do. Pretty much, if there's any pain from a bun, or it pulls too much for my tastes, I take it down and do it until it feels right.

mamaherrera
August 28th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I seem to have receded a bit in the temple area. I'm ok with it, as long or if I knew it wasn't going to get progressively worse. I'm only 33.

catamonica
September 1st, 2013, 02:43 PM
I wear a low braided bun. You could try that. It's more comfortable for me than a high bun.

Foxylocks
September 1st, 2013, 02:51 PM
I'll have to switch to braids. A receding hairline is a frightening thought.

jacqueline101
September 1st, 2013, 03:36 PM
If your hair is pulled back all the time it can cause your hair line to recced.