PDA

View Full Version : Is this dye released?

Hanamizu
November 12th, 2009, 09:23 AM
This is my first time hennaing so I'm not sure how to tell when it's ready for use... I mixed it together this morning with lemon juice, wine vinegar, and a little chai tea (warm, not hot) and it's been sitting for 8 hours now.. I tried a little dab on my finger and left it for 5 minutes but the stain seems pretty faint..
This is what it looks like right now.. Is the dye released? Or have I let it sit too long and it's demising?.. I don't see any green. :confused:

It's Punjabi Prime from mehandi.com btw
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/530/p1000964u.jpg

young&reckless
November 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Dark poo color on top, lighter poo color under it, I think you're good to go!

Nightshade
November 12th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Looks good to me! May be a bit thick, though! I'd either put it on damp hair, or thin it down a titch (so it's like pancake batter), or both :)

young&reckless
November 12th, 2009, 10:08 AM
There you are Nightshade!

I was waiting for your response as I use a cassia henna blend and the color is a bit different.

Themyst
November 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I'm confused. Mine gets these red pools in it when ready - if it's thicker, then it gets at least a red outline around the bowl. :confused: Does some henna behave differently? I usually use BAQ Yemeni.

BlackfootHair
November 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm confused. Mine gets these red pools in it when ready - if it's thicker, then it gets at least a red outline around the bowl. :confused: Does some henna behave differently? I usually use BAQ Yemeni.

I get that too...but I make mine thinner. I think it's just hard to tell in the pic because of it's thickness. I would definately add some more water.

lora410
November 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Looks released and I would also thin it down. Another way to tell is if you see red dye fluid on the top of the mix.

RocketDog
November 12th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I think the difference in dye 'pooling' is that it's cassia/henna. I've never used cassia, so I don't know what its dye release looks like, but I know my henna pools like both of you have described.

Hanamizu
November 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I thinned it down more before I applied it.. But I don't think I did enough, also I put it in dry hair >.< It was really hard!!.. I ran out of mix too!.. I managed to cover my head but I feel like there's a lot of non-gooped patches and strands... !! I hope this doesn't get ugly..

Hanamizu
November 12th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Would it be a good idea to jump in the shower and run a bit of water over my head and squash it all together to make sure its even? Or would that ruin the dye?

Nightshade
November 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM
There you are Nightshade!

I was waiting for your response as I use a cassia henna blend and the color is a bit different.

:lol: Happy to oblige :)

Her henna is diluted, so there's just less henna releasing dye. I get red pools as well, but if I peeled back the top layer as she did, they'd blend in pretty fast!

Would it be a good idea to jump in the shower and run a bit of water over my head and squash it all together to make sure its even? Or would that ruin the dye?

It won't ruin it, but it may dilute it. If it's on your head and you think you need more moisture I'd hit it with a spray bottle and smoosh instead. Ideally, I find it easier to apply thinnish henna mud to towel dried hair :)

caribou55313
November 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
This is my first time hennaing so I'm not sure how to tell when it's ready for use... I mixed it together this morning with lemon juice, wine vinegar, and a little chai tea (warm, not hot) and it's been sitting for 8 hours now.. I tried a little dab on my finger and left it for 5 minutes but the stain seems pretty faint..
This is what it looks like right now.. Is the dye released? Or have I let it sit too long and it's demising?.. I don't see any green. :confused:

It's Punjabi Prime from mehandi.com btw
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/530/p1000964u.jpg

My paste looks like this if I mix with warm liquid - dye releases very fast and not just on the top that way, so it's brown all through.

You're probably still good though - post pics of your hair when you're done pretty please!

Hanamizu
November 12th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Is 8 hours too long to wait if using warm liquid?

Nightshade
November 12th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Probably not :) I mix mine with steaming chamomile tea and keep it on my food dehydrator and it still stains fine after 8 hours (I put it on my head at 4). Some hennas release dye faster, though, so I'd do a spot test on your palm just to see if it's still staining or not.

I once mixed henna with boiling water and kept it warm, testing the staining power on mohair. It was still staining well at 24 hours, decently at 36, but was mostly done at 52 hours. There's a lot of variables in there with time and temp, but lawsone is pretty tough stuff.