PDA

View Full Version : Why does my hair look greasy when I go to bed with wet hair?

Laurel32
November 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Every time I try sleeping with wet hair, it ends up looking greasy at the scalp!

It feels very soft (too soft) and it looks like I didn't wash my hair. Back when I used liberal amounts SLS this still happened, so I know that even with "clean" hair the outcome is the same.

What gives?:cool: Does this happen to anyone else?

Thank you.:blossom:

Razor
November 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Just making A random guess here :p,
Perhaps the moisture that is left on the scalp area from your wet hair encourages the speed of oil production ?

The Empress
November 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Never happened to me really, though i have greasy hair.

Wanted to ask you, why do you go to sleep with wet hair? For some reason in particular or no?

At the end of the day, it just maybe that your hair is that way... and i see you are 16 so it may change in time.

florenonite
November 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I find that if I put my hair up when it's still damp, it ends up greasy. My pet theory is that it stays wet for longer (something that happens if I sleep on it damp, too), meaning the scalp gets irritated and overproduces oil.

mira-chan
November 11th, 2009, 04:48 PM
The hair is more smooth and moisturized. The cuticle is smoothed down. Over moisturized hair can look like it's greasy. :flower:

I put my hair up or in a braid damp intentionally for this as if I dry it as is it will have that nice dried straw feeling at times. My hair is naturally dry so I want that effect.

The Empress
November 11th, 2009, 04:51 PM
in your opinion guys, is it better to have dry or greasy hair and why?

mira-chan
November 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
in your opinion guys, is it better to have dry or greasy hair and why?
If you don't keep an eye on it and keep it moisturized dry hair will break off. Greasy hair requires more washing to be presentable and less scalp irritation. Now whether either is better depends on whether you like washing your hair or not, doing moisturizing treatments/ oiling or not. Oppinions on this will greatly vary.

Teresa9000
November 11th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Could it be because of your pillowcase? Maybe your pillowcase needs to be washed more frequently.

My hair used to do this too, and then it stopped. Coincidentally I bought new pillowcases around the same time, but it could also be the transition between teenager and young adult. I didn't pay too much attention, just noticed that my hair isn't greasy in the morning anymore when I go to sleep with it wet.

darkwaves
November 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
My guess is that it's more moisturized.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's just for the next day -- does it stay greasy on the second or third, or does that moisture get absorbed?

rhubarbarin
November 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hmm. My naturally dry hair stays much more moisturized if I go to bed with it wet, or put it up wet. It returns to normal when I wear it down, out and about (very dry, without oiling).

longhairedfairy
November 11th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Huh. I've wondered about this as well. My hair tends to look better the next day if it's at least partially dry before I go to bed.
Personally, I usually change my pillow case every other night (sleeping on the other side the second night) because it's better for acne prone skin (and because I get night sweats sometimes and don't want to sleep in the "yuck" it causes).

Laurel32
November 11th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Woops! :o My internet went down before I could reply to questions...

Wanted to ask you, why do you go to sleep with wet hair? For some reason in particular or no?

Generally because I'm to busy (or lazy) to take a shower in till right before bed time. I can't in the morning because I feel uncomfortable with wearing wet hair in public.

My guess is that it's more moisturized.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's just for the next day -- does it stay greasy on the second or third, or does that moisture get absorbed?

It just stays that way in till I wash it again. :( I usually just stick it up in a ponytail and wait.

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone! Coincidentally I bought a new pillow case yesterday so I will test your theory out Teresa9000 when the weekend comes around.:)

heatherdazy
November 11th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Could it be because the wet hair sticks to your scalp when you sleep on it, causing it to appear flatter/slicked/weighed down?

Wind
November 11th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure why, but totally know what you mean. I used to wash at night and sleep on it damp to avoid using a blowdryer, or going out with wet hair. One interesting thing is that if I wash early enough that my scalp is dry before I go to sleep, I don't have any problems. :shrug: So I don't think it has anything to do with your bedding.

RancheroTheBee
November 12th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Could it be because the wet hair sticks to your scalp when you sleep on it, causing it to appear flatter/slicked/weighed down?

I tried sleeping on wet hair a few times, and I always figured this was it.

Also, maybe... maybe... I don't know, honestly. I know what you mean though, it feels greasy. How soon before bed do you wash your hair?

heatherdazy
November 12th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Me? I usually shampoo in the afternoon. Just once a week. It does have a little extra sheen the last few days, but nothing that can't look acceptable with some fluffing and arranging.

RancheroTheBee
November 12th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Me? I usually shampoo in the afternoon. Just once a week. It does have a little extra sheen the last few days, but nothing that can't look acceptable with some fluffing and arranging.

Oh, haha! I meant the OP. :p

jivete
November 12th, 2009, 07:17 AM
My hair seems to look greasier the next day if I wash in the evening as opposed to morning, even if my hair is dry when I go to bed. Sleeping with wet hair makes it look worse. I just wash in the morning as much as I hate getting up earlier.