PDA

View Full Version : Nape tangle cause??

coddswaddle
November 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out with this. My hair seldom tangles but for months now the hair at the nape of my neck snarls madly. Sometimes it's in the morning, other times it's when I get home from work, or when my hair is up or down... there doesn't seem to be a reason. The confusing part is the hair at my nape is probably the healthiest, smoothest and most virgin hair I've got. :confused:

I could understand if it happened every time I wore a high-colored shirt or woke up after having a certain ponytail or bun, etc. But it happens semi-regularly for what seems to be no reason. I haven't changed anything in my haircare routine. It's gotten chillier here, would temperature alone cause this?

heidihug
November 11th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Nape tangles are, in my experience, almost always caused by friction. Clothes are a major culprit, but chairs and car seats can be to blame, also. And if you are growing your hair out from a shorter length you will probably be experiencing more and more tangles as it grows.

My hair tangles terribly, also. The only surefire solution I've found to avoid nape, and other tangling, is to put it up, and keep it up.

Hydrilus
November 11th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I think it's just because some people's napes are of a different texture, volume, etc than their regular head of hair. Some people have the same type of hair all around but I know for me, it's a lot lighter, softer and more prone to tangle than the rest of my hair.
I've started finger combing a lot and this helps to prevent the tangling... I start at the napes, running my fingers up from my neck, into my hair and then outward. Getting out of the shower or something though is different lol...finger combing doesn't work for me on wet hair

GoddesJourney
November 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM
That used to happen to me a lot when I was a kid. I had to cut off a big dreadlock once. I do remember this happening because of necklaces. Also, if you rub your head on the headrest of your car when you're stressed out, that could cause it.

GoddesJourney
November 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I just realized that your texture is F/M. When I was a kid, my hair was much finer. I think finer hair tangles more even if it's not damaged. My hair doesn't tangle anymore unless it's damaged because it's M/C. Updos probably help.

spidermom
November 11th, 2009, 03:21 PM
It makes sense to me that the nape would tangle because everytime we move our heads it impacts the hair at the back of the neck. My tangles there are terrible if my hair is in a single braid or my hair is loose. It almost never tangles with up-dos, unless they're - surprise-surprise - resting at the nape of my neck.

coddswaddle
November 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
It makes sense to me that the nape would tangle because everytime we move our heads it impacts the hair at the back of the neck. My tangles there are terrible if my hair is in a single braid or my hair is loose. It almost never tangles with up-dos, unless they're - surprise-surprise - resting at the nape of my neck.

This makes a lot of sense! I guess I need to learn some new styles that can combat this...

I can get the tangles if my hair is up high on my head (but I don't like to make the back tight because it hurts the back of my scalp) and I don't wear necklaces or ride in a car. I usually don't lean back in chairs either because my hair is 31 inches long and I end up "trapping" myself.

myrrhmaiden
November 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Mine has started doing this too. It's driving me bananas! It is something I don't recall it doing before, not even when it was long, and the texture seems different than I remember too. It's coarser and more frizzy. It feels way drier and more brittle than anywhere else. I have no explanation.

Aero
November 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I find using a silk pillow and braiding my hair before bed helps a lot, but if its happening during the day it might be because of diet or hormonal changes that are stopping the production of oils on your scalp - to a certain extent. Maybe keep a food journal or switch oils and shampoos. Our bodies don't stay in the same mode all the time after all.

23_seconds
November 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
||||||||||

coddswaddle
November 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I'm so glad to discover I'm not an isolated case... it somehow makes it bearable knowing it's normal :)

longhairedfairy
November 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Agreed.:) I think it's also more likely to tangle if it rubs against the collar of your shirt.