PDA

View Full Version : How often do you deep condition

bikerblue
November 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hi

I've just had a much needed trim of 1 inch and am feeling alot happier with my hair. My goal is waist length but whenever I get close my ends get ratty. I don't use heat or colour and only use hair friendly hair toys so i'm guessing that I'm being a bit too rough with my hair, anyway my question was how often to you deep condition your hair? I'm determind to make it to waist with a blunt heathly hemline. I'm just below bsl and waist length is about 5 inches away. How do you guys keep your ends healthy? I see lots of lovely heads of hair on the community and wonder where I'm going wrong!
Thanks BB

redneckprincess
November 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I try to do an SMT or some kind of deep conditioning treatment once a week but I usually get in about 2 a month

ladycatpurrs
November 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I dc about once every two weeks with SMT but after I do my wash routine (poo bar, ACV rinse, V05 condish) I always have a little oil or cone free condish on my very ends for a leave in...and when I braid I secure my tassle up so it doesn't just hang..it seems to have helped keep my ends from fraying as much because I was having the same problem. It seemed I was going one inch forward and one inch back!

bikerblue
November 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the plait tassle tip I'm going to try it and see if it helps

snoopy
November 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I have started a serious hair care regime, so was planning on deep conditioning atleast once a week, only natural and herbal conditioning

Dars
November 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Honestly? Rarely. I probably should more often but I'm a low effort kind of person. I CO and S&D regularly to keep my ends happy.

jojo
November 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I DC twice a week and also do light daily oils, sometimes quite heavy ones and bun it for work. I noticed a huge improvement when I started doing this and after a stall actually started growing. I have also started CO washing.

I also highlight my hair and had this re-done (roots) yesterday, my Hd found only 5 split ends in my hair.

Sissy
November 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I try to do an SMT or some kind of deep conditioning treatment once a week but I usually get in about 2 a month

Ditto. I try to do it once a week but life seems to get in the way and it usually ends up being 1-2 times per month :) I have to try to make it happen more often. I'm really bad about heavy overnight oilings... I hardly never do them. I hope to change that this winter :)

curls2grow
November 11th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I shoot for once per week. Wish I got more shine for the effort. :/

Jessikinz
November 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Not enough. I just started doing dt's, and so far I've only done 2 in the last 3 months. I'm trying to do them more often.

DARKMARTIAN
November 11th, 2009, 07:25 PM
never.........(have mercy on me people..:o)

Cinnamon Hair
November 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Once a week for moisturizing conditioners. Once a month (thereabouts) I will use a protein treatment and that requires a follow up deep conditioning with a moisturizing one, so 2 that week.

Akiko
November 11th, 2009, 07:52 PM
never.........(have mercy on me people..:o)

Waaa. Same here. :o I don't deep condition. When I first joined LHC, I tried several. But I am too lazy to do anything extra lately.

lillithnight
November 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
once a week just to keep up moisture.

Qamar
November 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I deep condition about three times a month. I would like to do do more, but I end up lacking the time.

camirra555
November 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I deep condition at least once a week. If I had better hours at work it would probably be twice a week each week

Othala
November 12th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I used to DC twice a week but found that daily care is more important and has a better effect then marinading my hair for hours in heavy stuff. So, I haven't DC'd for some time and have no plans to start again soon.

Finoriel
November 12th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Every 10 weeks if needed, sometimes I go even longer. Everyting else would be way too much for my hair. Overdoing it with the treatments means greasy and lank hair, since I switched to a very gentle cleansing method it just seems I donīt need to deep condition as often as before. When being on a regular Shampoo routine I would need to deep condition once a week and back then my hair was a lot shorter.

MsBubbles
November 12th, 2009, 05:17 AM
My benign neglect of my ends resulted in some ratty tangles recently for me somewhere mid-back. So now finally after one and a half years of finding LHC, I'm finally joining the SMT party! Did my first one last night, which restored my ends to a hair-like substance. :inlove:. I'm sold!

Since I just started scalp washes to try to save my ends from an every-other-day full wash onslaught, I guess I will do an SMT once a week.

OP: Keep looking around here...maybe there's something that will help your ends. It may be something as simple as changing your shampoo, conditioner, oils or routine.

Gypsygirl
November 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Honestly? Rarely. I probably should more often but I'm a low effort kind of person.

Same here. I use regular conditioner, yes...and sometimes I add honey, aloe vera gel and some lemon juice to it. But the only deep conditioning treatments my hair ever gets are the ones my hairdresser insists on every time she trims my ends. Which is only about once every two months... :o

Chanterelle
November 12th, 2009, 06:01 AM
After each wash, i.e. every 5 days. I recently bought a deep treatment I my hair seems to like and it smells heavenly, so I just can't resist. My ends are still recovering from my no-cones experiment, though.

Carolyn
November 12th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I try to do some kind of a deep conditioner with my heat cap once a week. Often it's a SMT.

Feli
November 12th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I do twice a week when I wash - I wet my hair and slather on either an SMT mixture or SBC with honey and egg or I've recently tried the fructis garnier conditioner with the 3 different oils in it. I leave whatever mixture I'm using on for an hour and then go and shower and wash my scalp. I've noticed a huge difference in the condition of my length and ends since regularly doing this (about 1.5 years now). I also often do a heavy coconut oiling as a prewash.

JamieLeigh
November 12th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I do it maybe twice a month. I use honey and Suave Naturals tropical coconut conditioner, and leave it in under a shower cap for about 2 hours. Rinses out well, just like a regular CO wash. :)

2peasinapod
November 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I do it after I clarify (every 2 weeks or so) and as needed if my hair feels particularly dry. For the ends, I use a bit of coconut oil, leave in like a leave-in conditioner for anywhere from a few hours to overnight, then CWC the next day.

Good luck with your hair goals! :)

chotee
November 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I can totally understand how you feel as i do the same thing....i grow till waist or tailbone and feel i need a cut as my ends don't look that healthy....To keep up with longer hair i think you should do more deep conditioning and more gentler approaches in handling them like lace. The longer it gets, the more deep conditioning i am doing. I do heavy oiling atleast once a week. Henna with yogurt and aloe is also a very good conditioner for me. For heavy oiling i do castor oil soaks in the night. And on a daily basis i keep oiling lightly with coconut oil.

all the best....

Pony Girl
November 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Once a week occasionally twice if I have the time. Oiling my length helps a lot.

gmdiaz
November 14th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I deep condition once a week, usually on the weekend. . .SMT with a couple of drops of jojoba oil. I shower cap it up and leave it on about an hour and rise out. I don't shampoo afterwards.

Then the rest of the week, I alternate between Suave Aloe & Waterlilly and Suave Tropical Coconut conditioners. Wash two or three times a week and CO on the other days.

Really like castor oil on my ends, at night on my braid tassels.

Speckla
November 14th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Whenever I shampoo. Translation? Almost never.

Nadi
November 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I deep condition once a week. My current deep conditionner is the Fructis Triple Nutrition one. I also try to oil my length with jojoba oil at least once a week.

Armelle
November 14th, 2009, 06:11 PM
My hair can look ratty real easy. :( I'm planning to look into oiling or SMT. I'm a little hesitant because my skin is so oily, but I'll figure something out.

I have had some success in saving my hair's health by keeping it up while at work. The rough texture of the office chair was really doing a number on it.

Teacherbear
November 14th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I don't do deep conditionings. I don't oil. I can't use protein laden products.

I simply CWCC or CWC, sometimes I CO. I put a thicker conditioner on my ends, then I shampoo the scalp and scalp hair down to my nape. I rinse really well. Sometimes I put an additional conditioner on and rinse it. I ALWAYS put on a leave in conditioner. If I CO I don't always put on the leave in, but do other times.

That's how I take care of my hair. My ends are in good condition.

ericthegreat
November 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I deep condition my hair once a week. I CO rinse my hair every night with Suave's Tropical Coconut, and usually on the weekends is when I will do a deep treatment. I have used everything.........olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, corn oil, peanut oil, and jojoba oil and pour several drops of that oil and mix that with a deep conditioner by rubbing my hands together and applying that mixture all over the length of my hair. I will leave that in my hair for perhaps two hours or more before washing it out.

Recently, I've been using pure Ojon nut oil as my deep treatment. This special kind of nut oil has worked magic on my coarse hair, my hair now feels so soft and and is even silkier and shiner than before.

Leena7
November 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Usually, I do it once a week, but I straightened my hair Friday (bad!) so I deep conditioned both Saturday and Sunday in some sort of feeble attempt to make up for it.

Finaleofseem
November 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I deep condition once a week when I wear my hair wavy. If wear it straight, I DC every time I shampoo, so generally twice a week, sometimes three.

Eden_Rayn
November 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I used to DC once to twice a week however I have been very bad and it has been two weeks w/o.