PDA

View Full Version : deep condition treatment at a salon

mommy2one05
April 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone had gotten anything like this done? I have noticed that alot of the salons around here offer this for around $15. I figured it wouldn't hury but thought I would get others advice first.

Emme76
April 23rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
I have never done it!
Had a friend do it once, and her hair turned out fine. I do think they had a bunch of cones in her treatment. Maybe you should ask about the treatment before you get it...what products and so on they use.

But I bet the "home" treatments are just as good, or even better...lol....like deep oiling, SMT and protein treatments when needed.

But could always be fun to try once !! Depending on what they use :rolleyes:!!!!!! Lol....

Take care....
EMME

savi
April 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
I've never tried, but extra moisture could never hurt.. I think we have loads of DIY people here in LHC so, they'd give you some tips at doing these at home. What I've heard is that the Redken treatment is good, but really I can't say because I've never tried it myself.

willowcandra
April 23rd, 2008, 02:24 AM
The treatments we used to do where i worked were henna wax or regular conditioner or a high end treatment from sallies. There is nothing wrong with the treatments as such but imho The way they wash long hair and comb it out is enough to add some damage! The only difference between a salon deep treatment and one you can do at home is that they add heat. You can buy the treatments at sally's and you can apply heat at home with a heat cap or by putting a plastic shower cap and gently using a blow fryer to add warmth then wrap a towel round on top of the cap.....same treatment but you get to wash it gently and comb out gently.

Unless you know of a salon who will be gentle with your hair(and there must be some out there) I would save that money and buy a decent tub for using at home.

Anlbe
April 23rd, 2008, 03:31 AM
My regular conditioner is a deep treatment that you can get in salons and I'd love to have it done, BUT every salon I've been to about this insists I must let them dry my hair, so I'm waiting until I move back to London next month where they understand that the customer is always right (especially when it's their fricking hair!)

p.s. Willowcandra, where can I buy a heat cap in England?

Shanarana
April 23rd, 2008, 05:23 AM
That sounds like it would be a nice pampering treat. Kind of like going to the spa or something. I would do it if I had the extra money, can't hurt that much. :)

willowcandra
April 23rd, 2008, 05:26 AM
My regular conditioner is a deep treatment that you can get in salons and I'd love to have it done, BUT every salon I've been to about this insists I must let them dry my hair, so I'm waiting until I move back to London next month where they understand that the customer is always right (especially when it's their fricking hair!)

p.s. Willowcandra, where can I buy a heat cap in England?

no idea. I keep toying with the idea of shipping one in via amazon.com sorry.

Tapioca
April 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
I used to get these from time to time. They work, but no better or worse than a homemade SMT or deep oiling, and the homemade is cheaper. I've had to stop letting them wash my hair, though, because it tangles terribly in their sink, and they end up having to battle through them. If I show up with freshly washed hair and they just have to mist it with water, we're all happier.

Eirinn
April 23rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
...The way they wash long hair and comb it out is enough to add some damage! The only difference between a salon deep treatment and one you can do at home is that they add heat.

Unless you know of a salon who will be gentle with your hair(and there must be some out there) I would save that money and buy a decent tub for using at home.

Ditto! I had it done once and my hair turned out to be worse after than before probably just because the hairdresser blow-dried it with kinda desert wind:rolleyes:

And I guess you'd achieve better results if you bought something like that and do it yourself (providing the product itself is good)

Blueglass
April 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Sounds nice, but the salon I go to charges 40 dollars per trim. So I'd think I better finds ways to get deep treatments at home.

Riot Crrl
April 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Stylists do not know how to handle my hair. Even if money were no object, I am still trading in the currency of "number of times I must face the tiny comb of doom." It is not worth it to me to spend one of my valuable NOTIMFTTCOD unless I come away with a nice trim afterwards that could not do myself. I can just DT at home without breaking half my hair off.

ajr
April 23rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
I did this once at a very high end salon and it was a disaster. The guy washed my hair in boiling hot water, the sink was so small so basically my hair turned into a giant matt, and then he attempted to detangle it by ripping from top to bottom with a brush. Basically everything that could go wrong did, he just didn't know how to deal with long hair. I'm not saying don't do it, but you might want to ask and see if theres anyone there who specializes in long hair.

littlemiss
April 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I did this once at a very high end salon and it was a disaster. The guy washed my hair in boiling hot water, the sink was so small so basically my hair turned into a giant matt, and then he attempted to detangle it by ripping from top to bottom with a brush. Basically everything that could go wrong did, he just didn't know how to deal with long hair. I'm not saying don't do it, but you might want to ask and see if theres anyone there who specializes in long hair.

oh my goodness ajr that sounds like things nightmares are made of I had this over whelming lump in my throat as I read your expeirance.Thats really bad and scarey!!

AnnieLuck
April 25th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Good heavens, that experience sounds straight out of some horror flick! I agree, there are very few is any salons that know how to deal with long hair. I've tried, and could only find one--the George Michael franchises in New York and one in Cleveland, Ohio. Unfortunately, I don't live near either right now and am desperate to find a place that would appreciate my hair (I'm trying to grow it out longer, to my waist, right now it's between my shoulder blades). I'm particularly concerned about coloring (it's too difficult to color long hair properly, it looks awful if you do it yourself, at least if I do it MYSELF), and someone to trim it from time to time. Any tips? I live in the Cincinnati/Dayton, Ohio area. I like Sally's too, but again once in awhile I'd like a good deep conditioning etc by a salon. Thanks for all the advice!!!!

ajr
April 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah it was probably the worst thing I've done to my hair in awhile. And it's entirely my fault I should have just got up and walked away. I would have from a cut but somehow the idea of having to walk out with a matt on my head dripping water all the way was too daunting at the time. Lesson learned, but I would like to try a George Michael salon someday.

AnnieLuck I've never dyed my hair but for tips try the recipes and henna board, or just post a new thread here

wintersun99
April 25th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Ohio Sky
April 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM
It probably woldnt hurt to get this salon treatment, but ask questions first, like if the person who is going to be doing it knows how to deal gently with long hair, and what products they use.

To all the people who are looking for heating caps, etc, just go to the local drugstore and buy a heating pad. Use a regular shower cap and just put a heating pad over it. It works great.

With SMTs and deep oilings, I put it all in my hair before bed and then sleep on a heating pad, and wash it out in the morning. My favorite deep treatment is just jojoba oil, coconut oil, and shea butter. I mix it together in my hands then put it on dry hair and braid it. It makes my hair very happy, and it also makes my hands feel lovely :)

fluffer
May 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
I get salon deep conditioning treatments done a lot. Only because my hair doesnt like my water. I hop around to different salons because I'm looking for the right one. So far they all do stuff that makes me upset. They arent gentle. They use products my hair hates, force me to get it blowfried, yank out any knots, etc.

A salon treatment is a good idea for anyone who has terrible hair water at home. I wish I was able to tell them to dilute the shampoo, and bring in my own (silicone and protein free)conditioners for them to use. I'm still looking for an accomodating salon.

TheSpottedCow
May 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
after my hair was ruined by a salon bleaching it 5 times in a row (granted, I asked for blonde hair, but told them if it would be "too damaging" I didn't want it and would go for brown or red, and they assured me that bleaching doesnt damage hair. I was like 15) i would get salon DTs every couple of weeks. Sometimes i went to that salon and would get them to do them for free, but would refuse any combing or styling.

I usually got a redken one. It was usually a mix of deep conditioner/different deep conditioners from the line plus some extra "stuff"... It was also pretty cone-y but at that point my hair was generally dead so needed a fake shine coating.. Anyway, I would sit under the dryer for 20 minutes for the heat, and them sometimes something would be put on after that and left to sit for a while. Given the state of my hair I'm pretty sure I always got the most intense conditioning services they had.

I always liked them, and I would probably get more except I am cone free now.

ETA: my hair has for whatever reason always responded better to products than it has homemade treatments. I don't know why.

Also, I agree that salons always rip through hair with a fine tooth comb. I don't understand why this is. But yeah, if I had let them comb it out it would have defeated the purpose of getting the DT.

mommy2one05
May 3rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
I got it done last week and think it really helped my hair and then I bought a Pantene deep conditioner and used it yesterday but it didnt do nearly as good.

loras
May 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Ugh. Salons. I don't care how good their DT is, the whole experience I've had at salons make me not care at all.

I was 10 years old, my sister was getting married so I went to get a very nice French braid... except the lady used that tiny comb on my very very thick and curly hair... and made the braid so thick that I couldn't move my head, ... I kept crying the whole ceremony and party because it hurt SO much to move my head just an inch! ugh..

Then ofcourse, every year I have to go there to cut my hair... always the unpleasant cuts, and I come home with not a end that isn't split... Cut my hair too short when my hair is so thick and curly... are hairdressers jealous or something, that they must hurt us?

I have lots more examples... but there's nothing they can do that I can't do better myself. Even in the days I used to straighten my "oh so ugly curly hair", I could do it faster and better, and make it last a full week without much touch ups ... while if I go to a salon, the straight hair is gone 5 minutes after stepping outside...

I don't care how good their DT is, my hair deserves better care.

*cat fights the salon ladies*

loras
May 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
You don't how your hair is like as you havent filled your profile, but I can tell you that 1/2 cup mayo, 1 table spoon EVOO and a few droplets of your fav EO works like a MIRACLE on my damaged hair.

(leave in for an hour, then wash your scalp with a tablespoon baking soda diluted in a 1/2 of water or nice smelling rinse), then rinse with cool water)

I can go a week and a half without having to wash my hair when I do that (no conditioner or anything, though you can if you think you smell like mayo - I don't)

I always look at the pretty hair here in the forums and go "Aww... I wish.. "
... I wish, I got it! Mayo worked :P

loras
May 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
.... That should read " I don't know what your hair is like because you..."

... I need to use Preview Post more often -__-; Apologies.

Buddaphlyy
May 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
When I used to go to the salon, I used to get DT every trip. It was always a part of the styling service, so I don't get why it's extra at other places.

Anyway, the only difference between the ones I got at the salon and the ones I get now is that I sat under a dome dryer and at home I sit under a heat cap. The results are pretty much the same because I still use the same products that my stylist did.

Speedbump
May 3rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't spend the money, because mostly what they use in the salons are conventional products with every "bad" ingredient for my hair there is. :lol: Full of cones and proteins and quats and panthenol...all the stuff that is supposed to make conditioner "better" (read more expensive), basically does not work for my hair. I do a lot better if I use cheaper conditioners that don't have any of that stuff. An exception to the "cheap" rule is Nexxus Color Ensure/Assure conditioner, which is expensive AND doesn't have that stuff in it. :lol: