PDA

View Full Version : Pilates-Friendly hair style?

serrabellum
November 11th, 2009, 09:53 AM
So I've started doing Pilates again after some five years or so. Thus far, my usual cinnamon bun isn't really working for me. It's uncomfortable when I lay on it, and it feels like I'm not really flattening my spine correctly with that extra padding under my head.

I have 40"(ish) of straight hair (right at my tailbone). What are you preferred hair styles for working out? What really keeps it all out of the way comfortably (for at least an hour)?

Quixii
November 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I braid my hair and put it in a knot for gymnastics, which works for keeping it out of the way but if we do things that involve lying down with our heads on the floor, it doesn't work/is very uncomfortable. So if there's more of that, that probably won't work.
For meets I do the Amish hairstyle posted here a while ago, which is much flatter but takes more time to do, so I don't do it for ordinary practices.
I don't know much about pilates, but perhaps just and ordinary braid or ponytail pushed to the side?

ravenreed
November 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM
The only way I can deal with my hair when I have to lie on it is a french braid or double braids.

above_rubies
November 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Welcome to LHC fellow Arkansan! :)

I have heard several people say that the elizabethan taping (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/40/KqbAdvL8kME) is a very comfortable style. The Amish hairstyle that was mentioned is here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688&page=10). Scroll down for pics and instructions. I did this to my dd's hair once and it held good and was nice and flat. But the hair taping might be better because you wouldn't be laying on as much of it.

Maybe a high ponytail or messy bun would work too. High enough so you don't lay on it.

amaiaisabella
November 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I do a super high ponytail because even a high bun is uncomfortable. What about the shortened high ponytail I've seen here in the styling section?

gnegirl
November 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Have you tried a double french-braid or Princess Leia buns?

AreWild
November 11th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hi from down here in Little Rock! :waving:

I agree that double braids might work the best. If you did dutch braids just a bit behind your ears that should be secure and out of your way. You could also try a Gibson tuck if you don't have too much length for it.

Laululintu
November 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I generally braid mine, as a 3-strand braid is easy enough to move around to keep it from being in the way.

Leneveu
November 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM
For pilates, I put the cinnabun high enough on my head that it's not in the way when I'm lying down (that is, right on top of my head - it looks a bit silly!). My other pilates style is just a braid, which I take over my shoulder and tuck under my bra strap to keep it out of the way :p I'll be watching this thread for better ideas!

Aerith
November 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I was wondering about this too! I got some new exercise videos to do at home, but when I do the exercises that require laying down, some hairstyles make it difficult.

So far I'm best with just a low braid hanging down. My hair is long enough so I can just move it to the side and it pretty much just stays there. I still lay on it sometimes though and it's a bit uncomfortable, so I'll be watching this thread for suggestions. :) I hope some are easy to do because I consider myself hairstyle challenged, lol.

Stephichan
November 11th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm finally getting back into dance staring in January (yay for senior-class standing), so I'll be watching this thread for ideas. I've never liked ponytails for dance, particularly during stretching and floor work. Not to mention the whip-in-the-eye situations after a fast turn. Ouch.

Rosamunde
November 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Could you do two English braids, and then maybe loop them at the nape of your neck and fasten with mini-ficcares or something - just to avoid lying on top of the braids (I imagine that would be uncomfortable!)

gnegirl
November 11th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I'm finally getting back into dance staring in January (yay for senior-class standing), so I'll be watching this thread for ideas. I've never liked ponytails for dance, particularly during stretching and floor work. Not to mention the whip-in-the-eye situations after a fast turn. Ouch.

I remember having that problem in martial arts, a few people would laugh at me about my 'weapon' after getting hit in the face with a long ponytail or braid.

p3_Arme
November 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Well I have two ideas that work for me, although one is time consuming, it does stay up for ages.

On YouTube there is a woman called Torrin Paige and she has videos on Elizabethian Hair Taping, a Crown Braid, Double french into one, and quite a lot of others, I'd definatly recommend her to Long Hair people. Men and Women - the Hawser, Cable and Rope braids are nice on men as well as on women :)

The other way is milk-maid braids, these are a pony tail either side of the head, then braided, then pinned over the head to the opoosite side, again there are videos on You Tube.

serrabellum
November 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Torrin's got some great videos. I really like her teaching style. Since my Pilates class is on Tuesdays, I may just take her advice and do the Elizabethan taping and leave it up for a few days.

I have a lot of trouble getting my bun all the way on top of my head (no idea why... it just ALWAYS slips back to my crown). Thanks for the ideas so far! Keep them coming!

(And I will update after some experimentation.)

adiapalic
November 11th, 2009, 02:37 PM
French braid, or double french braids. If you don't want your hair flailing around in braids while you workout, the only other thing that comes to mind is a top-knot of some sort or bunning two french braids on either side of your head. :)

Tinose
November 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I currently have my hair in a French braid folded up on my head and secured at the top, above where my head touches anything when lying down, with a flexi-8, and found that to be the best method I've found yet when I exercised earlier.

I've also found French twists to be effective, although I have to use my Zannclip since that's the most comfortable hair ornament I've found, as it has a low enough profile and is flexible enough that it really doesn't bother me. I've generally found buns at the very nape of the neck to not bother me much, but I don't have a lot of hair to add bulk so that probably won't work for everything. Plain braids work, but if your hair's too long they'll get in your way too, plus the tassle's exposed to damage.