PDA

View Full Version : Biotin - Vitamin B

BeatlesFanGirl
November 11th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Many of you take biotin or vitamin B - do you think I should take those, if I eat eggs regularly?

Lamb
November 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I don't see the connection between eggs and vitamin B supplements - why should one exclude the other?
I eat 2 hard-boiled eggs a day, and I also take a vitamin B complex (with 50 mg of most Bs), and 2000 mcg Biotin daily. HTH.
This is a good article on Biotin:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/246853/message/1053943226/Biotin-+A+Study+%28Votelet+Poll+results+included%29

redneckprincess
November 11th, 2009, 10:02 AM
its ok to eat eggs as long as the white part is COMPLETLY cooked..the yoke dosnt matter but the white part has to be cooked all the way or i dont remember where I read it in all of my research about a year ago (somewhere on the net) that eating raw egg whites will make the biotin not be able to absorb..

snoopy
November 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Eggs are protein, so it shouldnt be problem taking Vit B with it

Speckla
November 11th, 2009, 04:51 PM
There's biotin in eggs. I think the OP was wondering if supplements are necessary since there's biotin and other b vitamin in eggs.

adiapalic
November 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM
its ok to eat eggs as long as the white part is COMPLETLY cooked..the yoke dosnt matter but the white part has to be cooked all the way or i dont remember where I read it in all of my research about a year ago (somewhere on the net) that eating raw egg whites will make the biotin not be able to absorb..

What she said. Cooked eggs are fine. The whites of a raw egg are what inhibit biotin absorption.

There's a pretty informative entry on Wikipedia about Biotin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin) that I read just minutes ago. :D

ETA: Whoops--that might not have been the answer you were looking for. Well, I'm not sure how much biotin an egg contains, but I bet the cholesterol to biotin ratio would probably make it a better idea to just take the vitamin instead of looking for biotin benefits from an egg. In fact, on the Wikipedia entry for a chicken egg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_(food)#Type_2_diabetes), the nutritional data doesn't even list biotin. (not that it doesn't contain it, but the amount may not have a viable nutritional value).

There's lots of mixed reviews on the health of consuming eggs because of the high amounts of cholesterol (about 423mg per 50g egg). There are also other links to health problems as well from eating them, such as Type 2 diabetes.

I personally still eat eggs though. In fact, we have our own chickens.

Lamb
November 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM
There's biotin in eggs. I think the OP was wondering if supplements are necessary since there's biotin and other b vitamin in eggs.

Oh I see. Thanks. :)
Since biotin is water-soluble (what your body does not absorb is simply flushed in your urine), I don't think there is a risk of overdose, unless you take some ridiculous amount. People here generally take 1000-5000 mcg. Note: mcg, not mg!!!

natorade
November 11th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I am going to try taking biotin again in a couple of weeks. Everytime I take it I break out. I am going to give it one more try.

jojo
November 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I cannot take biotin as I get facial abcess thingys which hurt like mad, I do take a multi vitamin and molasses with iron supplement though.

BeatlesFanGirl
November 14th, 2009, 02:40 AM

That's what I was wondering about :) Eggs contain a lot of biotin and other vitamin B so I don't know if it's necessary to take supplements or I provide my body with enough vit.s by eating eggs.

BeatlesFanGirl
November 14th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I am going to try taking biotin again in a couple of weeks. Everytime I take it I break out. I am going to give it one more try.

That's my other fear :S Many of you have written about this problem and I already have issues with my skin :S

Heidi_234
November 14th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I've read 1 egg contains the RDA of biotin. That said, by B complex supplement I used to take contained something like 900% of the RDA in one pill, and it was suggested to be taken 2 pills a day.

Overall, B vitamins are water soluble, if you obtains biotin or other B vitamins naturally, it doesn't hurt to take a supplement, even though it's not necessary to take it either. :wink:

Speckla
November 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM
That's what I was wondering about :) Eggs contain a lot of biotin and other vitamin B so I don't know if it's necessary to take supplements or I provide my body with enough vit.s by eating eggs.

The daily recommended intake of biotin is 300 mcg and I think it's better to get it from food sources if you can. Egg yolks have omega fatty acids that help your body. The benefits are outstanding (as long as you don't have any medical problems were you need to restrict egg intake) and taste good too. :)

Othala
November 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
One egg contains ten milligrams (mg) of biotin.

The recommended daily allowance of biotin is 300 micrograms (mcg or µg).

There are 1000mcg in 1mg, therefore, eating one egg a day more than covers the amount of biotin you need. There is no need for supplementation.

jera
November 15th, 2009, 01:57 AM

That's true. Egg yolks are loaded with biotin. I eat eggs, (not too much) but also take biotin. :)

Vtamins B12 and Niacin are also supposed to be good for hair growth. It's good to see someone taking the vitamin supplement/food approach to hair growth and health. Your hair will thank you for it. :D

Alissalocks
January 15th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Reviving this thread because I was musing today on what foods might contain biotin, in order to use my diet as a means to increase my biotin intake. Interesting that (cooked) eggs are helpful, as the protein might also contribute to additional growth.

I'm the type to use food versus buying supplements, especially since they're known to cause breakouts (and I think they're just good for making your pee more expensive). I'm curious if anyone else out there is using their diet to influence their hair growth (with respect to biotin especially)?

lapushka
January 15th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Reviving this thread because I was musing today on what foods might contain biotin, in order to use my diet as a means to increase my biotin intake. Interesting that (cooked) eggs are helpful, as the protein might also contribute to additional growth.

I'm the type to use food versus buying supplements, especially since they're known to cause breakouts (and I think they're just good for making your pee more expensive). I'm curious if anyone else out there is using their diet to influence their hair growth (with respect to biotin especially)?

Not really. I eat pretty healthy as is, so I don't think there's anything else to do so as to influence growth. You can only eat what you eat, and you can't start eating more just because... Now, if you have a lousy diet, then yes, there's lots you can do, sure.

I don't think it's going to give you an extra inch. ;) :p

Alissalocks
January 15th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Nope, not an extra inch, after all it's not cheese :cheese:

I do eat a healthy diet, but specifically I was trying to think of alternative ways to increase my biotin rather than buying a supplement. As you said, it may not make a huge difference but I just wanted to revive a conversation on diet as a means to increase biotin, specifically.

Nymphe
January 15th, 2017, 12:54 PM
This is my all-time favorite website for nutrition and its listing for biotin: World's Healthiest Foods, biotin (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=42)

Alissalocks
January 15th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Great website, thank you Nymphe ! Almonds to the rescue, as usual! It sounds like I'm probably getting normal amounts of biotin in my everyday diet, which in itself is also really good to know! Why buy a supplement, or eat extra, if you might not need it boosted to begin with? Excellent!

lapushka
January 15th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Great website, thank you Nymphe ! Almonds to the rescue, as usual! It sounds like I'm probably getting normal amounts of biotin in my everyday diet, which in itself is also really good to know! Why buy a supplement, or eat extra, if you might not need it boosted to begin with? Excellent!

I *need* to take a multivitamin, necessity as my medication *eats* good vitamins. My bloodwork comes back great in that respect at least because of it. So it's not the same for everybody. Some people need to take vitamins. It's not always "expensive pee". ;)

Alissalocks
January 15th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Point taken, but that really isn't the point of this thread though. It's biotin for hair growth, and I'm discussing increasing biotin through diet, as opposed to increasing biotin through supplements, and whether others have tried it. That's it.

This doesn't dispute that some people occasionally need vitamin supplements due to medical conditions. I know that.

All too often, it's easy to run to buy something to "fix" a problem, such as a supplement. I'm working against that impulse. Me, just me. Not trying to make sweeping statements about the world. Just asking about this one issue specifically, and in regards to hair growth, not medical deficiencies. I guess I should make that clear.