PDA

View Full Version : Is scrunching bad for your hair?

Yarn Muse
November 10th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Hi...I'm new and have SL hair. My hair is wavy but if I scrunch it when it's wet or damp, I can be curlier. Is this bad for your hair? I will try to put a pic here but if it doesn't work, my curlier hair pic is on my profile. Thanks!http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?u=25664&dateline=1257169495&type=profile

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM
You have lovely curls!

I don't think scrunching is bad for your hair. Do you use a leave-in when you scrunch? Or some Aloe Vera Gel for instance?

Merewen
November 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Ooooh, you should search for "plopping". It's basically scrunching your hair up into a t-shirt or towel and letting it dry (at least partially) that way. Gives me nice curls.

Heidi_234
November 10th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Nope, scrunch away :D
Scrunching made me revisit my curls actually. :p

Linda K
November 10th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hi! Welcome! :waving:

I'm glad you asked the question! I was just wondering that myself last night! (Still trying to find a gentle way to avoid frizz & freeze!)

Looks like you have healthy shiny :sun: curls there! :D

Yarn Muse
November 10th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Tangerine--Sometimes I use a leave in, something I bought at Sally's...I don't remember the name right now.

Merewen--thanks, I will look up info on plopping.

LindaK--thanks, but my hair is not as healthy as I wish it was. That photo is from a few months ago, maybe March, and I had dyed my hair red in Dec. Now that the dyed part is growing out, it is drier and crispier. Can't wait to cut it off...someday.

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I second the plopping advice by the way.
I only have 1c/2a hair, but plopping really does bring out the almost curls in my case :) Even without adding product (although it doesn't last as long that way).

redneckprincess
November 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
i dont know about the scrunching or ploping I generally like to keep my hair straight..but welcome and you have beautiful hair

spidermom
November 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Very pretty hair, and no, scrunching is not harmful. If you use product to enhance the effect, look out for the words "moisturizing", "contains no alcohol", "nondrying".

At my length, scrunching encourages tangles, and de-tangling causes damage, so alas - my scrunching days are over.

MAO
November 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I don't think so......! I have always scrunched my hair as it dries to bring out my waves more. And I don't have any excessive breakage or ANY split ends that I can see! Scrunch away wurly sister!
P.S.- Pretty eyes!

RancheroTheBee
November 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I personally prefer plopping, as I feel it works better, but scrunching is a grat way I can really get defined curls quickly.

Yarn Muse
November 10th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the nice compliments, everyone! My hair is not this red now..the red has faded and grown out some...but it's just as curly. I scrunched it today and will be looking for info on plopping.

Happy growing!

Amraann
November 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I plop mine using a large stretched out scrunchi
I just kind of ball it all up atop my head and put the scrunchi in to hold it.

Tangles are not a huge issue since if it becomes to tangled I wash and condition it and then the tangles go smooth.

ericthegreat
November 15th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm not a curly, but no scrunching if done gently shouldn't be damaging to your hair at all. Use a good styling gel or hair creme and apply that all over your hair before scrunching. Using your hands, crumple your hair up from your ends to your roots in an accordian motion. Its best to let your hair completely air-dry for good curl formation, but you could also use your blowdryer on low heat and if you have a diffuser attachment, you can use that to dry your curls into a bigger, more bodifying shape.

pepperminttea
November 16th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Thanks for asking this, I've been wondering - I get a bit more wave when I scrunch. :) Welcome to LHC, by the way!