PDA

View Full Version : LHC Secret Club :)

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I am not suggesting starting some kind of club, I was just wondering if others had a similar feeling to mine :D

Since being on LHC and accumulating lots of new specific terminology, hairdos, routines etc etc it sometimes feels a bit like we are all part of some secret society. All that is missing is a secret handshake :rollin:

Anyway, when I am out and about in town for instance, I find myself both scanning other people's heads to look for recognisable hairstyles and possibly spot a fellow LHCer (I haven't yet) or I find myself wondering if one day I will feel a tap on my shoulder and someone commenting about my Lazy Wrap bun or Nautilus or something like that, and thereby identifying themselves as another LHCer. Sometimes I almost feel the urge to turn the back of my head to a fellow longhair to see if they pick up on the hair toys and hair style HA HA:o:p

It makes me giggle to myself and does sometimes make me feel like being an LHCer is like a fun little secret that we have that sets us apart from Those That Do Not Know ... like we're wizards and they're muggles he he :p

Anybody else recognise this? :D

jessie58
November 10th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Definitely!

Didn't anybody show you the secret handshake yet? :rollin:

JessTheMess
November 10th, 2009, 06:08 AM
LOL I am always on the search for a fellow LHC'er
I said a while back that we should have a pin or something made lol...

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Definitely!

Didn't anybody show you the secret handshake yet? :rollin:

Ahhh but now I feel paranoid I am being left out ..... :laugh: Just kidding.

Or, JesstheMess, a special hairstick! :D

JessTheMess
November 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Right?! We really should!

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Maybe something with a recognisable dangle hanging off it :D

Although .... it would mean that we can bin all our other hair toys otherwise it wouldn't work .... Hmmm not sure if that'll go down well .... :laugh:

biggeorge
November 10th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Ahhh but now I feel paranoid I am being left out ..... :laugh: Just kidding.

You have to give the password to learn the secret handshake!

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 06:30 AM
You have to give the password to learn the secret handshake!

:p

:)

gnegirl
November 10th, 2009, 06:33 AM
If anyone out there is good with logo design, we could have LHC mugs, pins, hats, tshirts :)

CestMadeleine
November 10th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I love the idea of a little pin to sport in the name of LHC! I'm so up for that idea.

However, I actually don't look around to find another LHC'er because I live in New Brunswick Canada, really doubt we have 1 or 2 more from around here on this site :P so I just don't bother looking for something I'll never find haha! If I still lived in Toronto however I so would :D

pdy2kn6
November 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM
HAHA, this is so wierd because I am always thinking when I see a long haired person whether they are a member or not.. This morning I was on the bus (going up Oxford road to manchester university if the lady is somewhere on this thread and was doing the same at about 10am this morning) and I saw a lady who was just about to get off with a massive, so thick, roll of hair in a scrunchie on the top of her head. She must of noticed I was wearing a ketylo if she was a long hair community member because I was at the front of the bus. When I was looking at her bun (at that point she had stood up and was waiting to get off) I couldbn't figure out if she was showing me subtly her bun by turning the other way, or just not paying any attention to me. haha. Its so funny. I also do that thing you do though, and show the back of my head so they could see either a ketylo or a 61st street fork.

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 06:56 AM
He he a logo and pin is a fun idea. Although I suppose we'd then be walking around scanning people's clothes which may look a bit suspicious ;) ;)

Maybe we should just start walking around with a nice clear sandwich board ha ha :rollin:

pdy2kn6 - your bus experience reminded me of me in Tesco the other day. There was a lady there with glorious greying hair all rolled up (not in a recognisable bun though) and held with a fakkare (don't think it was a Ficcare .. but then I have never seen a real one up close:o). I kept seeing her in the aisles but she was so lost in thought that she never looked up. If she had I told myself I might pluck up the courage to comment on her hair and maybe even asked about LHC but to be honest .... I am rather shy. So at the same time I was also a bit relieved the moment passed ha ha.
I reckon the conditions would have to be absolutely right, certain planets would have to be aligned, before I would just walk up to a potential LHCer just like that ha ha

Les
November 10th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I'd be all over this! My preference would be for something subtle & logo-esque that could work as a button or elsewhere...

Themyst
November 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I think of it too when I see a long haired person, which is somewhat of a rarity around here anyway. But at the same time, I am a very shy person and don't know if I would have the courage to say anything. Unless maybe if I really suspected I recognized the back of someone's hair from their avatar or something - but even then, I don't know. Perhaps if there was a secret handshake I could instigate it but if the person had no idea what I was doing (obviously a non-LHC'er) then I could just make it look like I was just adjusting my glasses or something while I walk away and turn red. :o

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I think of it too when I see a long haired person, which is somewhat of a rarity around here anyway. But at the same time, I am a very shy person and don't know if I would have the courage to say anything. Unless maybe if I really suspected I recognized the back of someone's hair from their avatar or something - but even then, I don't know. Perhaps if there was a secret handshake I could instigate it but if the person had no idea what I was doing (obviously a non-LHC'er) then I could just make it look like I was just adjusting my glasses or something while I walk away and turn red. :o

Yes I know what you mean. And I can just see that happening to myself as well LOL and I'd probably get the handshake wrong in the first place and then quickly start fumbling with my glasses, drop them, mumble something inaudible and rush off. Or pretend I was really just talking to my kids in the pram. They're useful that way :D

Heidi_234
November 10th, 2009, 08:21 AM
The first rule of TLHC is, you do not talk about TLHC. :laugh:

I think the password should be Cheese :cheese: :)

The second rule of TLHC is, you DO NOT talk about TLHC (outsiders will not understand anyway:p).

Monsterkitti
November 10th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Hehe when someone mentioned a password my first thought was cheese :D :cheese:

heidihug
November 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM
The second rule of TLHC is, you DO NOT talk about TLHC (outsiders will not understand anyway).
I never talk about LHC, either. When talking about a recent mini-meet, I've referred to the member I met with as "a friend I know from an internet site I belong to." Anything more detailed gets me weird looks and awkwards questions from my coworkers and family.

Oh, but DH and my kids know about it and are pretty OK with LHC, now that they've had time to get used to the idea that their wife and mother belongs to a Secret Society. Wonder if Nicholas Cage would star in the movie about us?:p

Themyst
November 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM
The first rule of TLHC is, you do not talk about TLHC. :laugh:

I think the password should be Cheese :cheese: :)

The second rule of TLHC is, you DO NOT talk about TLHC (outsiders will not understand anyway:p).

:rollin: I've got to rent that movie again.

And cheese. This is just absolutely hilarious. Ha ha - even if a person did come up to me and just say, "CHEESE", at first I wouldn't even associate it with LHC, I'd just think they were a nut and I'd get away from them pretty quick. :p

If I ever do talk about anything that has been mentioned on here, I usually just say 'a hair forum I go to' or something because anything else just elicits confusion.

Shiva
November 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I am not suggesting starting some kind of club, I was just wondering if others had a similar feeling to mine :D

Since being on LHC and accumulating lots of new specific terminology, hairdos, routines etc etc it sometimes feels a bit like we are all part of some secret society. All that is missing is a secret handshake :rollin:

It's a mad, mad, mad tea party.

Sheltie_Momma
November 10th, 2009, 08:45 AM
At Texas Renaissance Festival I was totally scoping out all the long hairs, I always see people and wonder if they might be on here. I do talk about it sometimes but people always think I'm nuts (coworkers etc.)

Wavelength
November 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Cheese would be a great password, but yeah, on the street hearing it I wouldn't even think of LHC.

We'd have to expand on it a bit, something like, "My Nautilus looks great with cheese!" :D

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Ha ha ha this is turning into a spoof Spy movie - we'll all be walking around in trench coats clutching papers marked 'Top Secret', asking other longhairs weirdly coded questions .... 'Does the dark moon rise over the mascarponed nautilus tonight?' wink wink nudge nudge ....
:rollin:

Carrie Ingalls
November 10th, 2009, 09:07 AM
This is kind of along the same lines as a identifying pin, how about those little hair spirals (see link below) with some kind of LHC logo or symbol. Also everyone could potentialy make their own ( http://www.squidoo.com/Make-Hair-Jewelry ). They could be very subtle and it would be like the logos on some popular stuffed animals, they all have the logo, but not always in the same location.

Konstifik
November 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Oooh, recognizable club-stuff would be awesome! :D
I think I'm all alone here where I live. Trying to spot potential LHC-ers of course, but... :o

I would gladly like to help designing a logo or things like that if it ever came to be... :D

biggeorge
November 10th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Not long ago I discovered that the "do you know who I am" question while facing in the opposite direction is extremely indicative of members of this secret society!

marikamt
November 10th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Ha ha ha this is turning into a spoof Spy movie - we'll all be walking around in trench coats clutching papers marked 'Top Secret', asking other longhairs weirdly coded questions .... 'Does the dark moon rise over the mascarponed nautilus tonight?' wink wink nudge nudge ....
:rollin:

haha... love that!!!!!

Rivanariko
November 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Haha, this is great! I do often feel like this is some sort of "secret society" and I'm always guessing when I see people with long hair if they're members or not. I think I'm probably alone in my current town, but the city I will hopefully be moving to soon (if I get the job *crosses fingers*) I KNOW has a high LHC population, so I'll be on the lookout constantly!

I like the idea of a logo. Something small and subtle and pretty, but that other LCHers would recognize.

GlassEyes
November 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Oh, but DH and my kids know about it and are pretty OK with LHC, now that they've had time to get used to the idea that their wife and mother belongs to a Secret Society. Wonder if Nicholas Cage would star in the movie about us?:p

Oh, lord, I certainly hope not. shudder:>.<

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Oh, lord, I certainly hope not. shudder:>.<

ha ha LOL those were my thoughts exactly ....

Merewen
November 10th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I am all for a logo that we can put on things ourselves. Sweet idea!

Themyst
November 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Cheese would be a great password, but yeah, on the street hearing it I wouldn't even think of LHC.

We'd have to expand on it a bit, something like, "My Nautilus looks great with cheese!" :D

See, that phrase would work best because if anyone non-LHC heard it, they'd just think you were talking aloud about a dish arrangement for your table or something. :)

Themyst
November 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I like the idea of a logo. Something small and subtle and pretty, but that other LCHers would recognize.

Hey, maybe something like LHC: It's not just a Large Hadron Collider.

Stormsong
November 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Something like this maybe? :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4276&pictureid=54983

Could always make the dangle something that could clip onto a fork, hairstick, barrete, necklace, earring......

Or just the :cheese: giant size on a t-shirt would probably be enough :)

(apologies for the awful paint image, I'm at work, shhh.....)

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM

LOL :rollin:

Something like this maybe? :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4276&pictureid=54983

Could always make the dangle something that could clip onto a fork, hairstick, barrete, necklace, earring......

Or just the :cheese: giant size on a t-shirt would probably be enough :)

(apologies for the awful paint image, I'm at work, shhh.....)

Oh wow, so cool you actually designed something :D He he I like it.

Anje
November 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Didn't the old (now-archived) LHC site used to sell a bit of LHC swag?

Maybe Stephanie will bring it back. Or authorize someone to put something on Cafe Press.
Here it is! (http://www.cafepress.com/longhair)

Much as I would love LHC hairsticks, I imagine that personal preferences would take over.... Maybe a monthly "everyone (who can) wear hairsticks or a Ficcare/fakkare" day, such as on the first of the month. At least there might be a spike in the worldwide popularity of sticks each month.

Otherwise, a smallish decorative pin that could go on a bag or jacket might be do-able, and less likely to change daily than sticks.

ETA: Now I'm looking for cheese charms... Here's one (http://www.charmfactory.com/cheese-charm.htm)

Michou
November 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Oh good, my two loves -- hair and physics, combined into one comment! ;)

As for the OP, I often check out other people's hair to see if I recognize a stick, fork or style. I've also been known to do the head arch/turn so that anyone so inclined would be able to see my updo and fork. So funny, I thought I was the only one. :)

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 10:30 AM
ETA: Now I'm looking for cheese charms... Here's one (http://www.charmfactory.com/cheese-charm.htm)

Dang, that's cute! :cheese:

Oh good, my two loves -- hair and physics, combined into one comment! ;)

As for the OP, I often check out other people's hair to see if I recognize a stick, fork or style. I've also been known to do the head arch/turn so that anyone so inclined would be able to see my updo and fork. So funny, I thought I was the only one. :)

He he yes I am also glad to find out I am not alone in this :D

heidihug
November 10th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Not long ago I discovered that the "do you know who I am" question while facing in the opposite direction is extremely indicative of members of this secret society!
Hah, I remember your "chance LHC meeting at the grocery store" story, biggeorge.

I don't anticipate seeing any other (now-long haired) LHC member near where I live, at least not by chance. Only if we have a meet, or something! I could probably count on one hand the number of people I see each day with hair longer than shoulder. Anything below BSL is a rarity indeed, unless I go to my son's high school - several girls there have long-ish hair.

angelthadiva
November 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM
There is an old thread, maybe at the old board that was quite hilarious regarding this very topic :D

rosieposie
November 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Oh, Tangerine.....what a fantastic idea!! Count me in :)
I am constantly looking at other peoples hair and trying to "show off" my latest hair pretty. I bet the shoppers in Sainsbury earlier today think I am completely mad.
The other day I asked my DH to get my bocote Baerreis nautilus from the drawer.......and he got it right first time. Not too many non LHCers would know what that meant. I have finally sent the poor soul over the edge :cheese: Can we have some honorary member car bumper stickers please? ha ha :silly:

Tangerine
November 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM
hi rosieposie:) - wow I'm impressed, your DH is well-trained;) I think I'd have to resort to very descriptive language to get mine to understand .. like 'you know, that wooden thing, with the two teeth, that I stick in my hair, no not my hair comb, no not that one, the other one, the dark one!" etc etc

The bumper-sticker thing idea ... Themyst's slogan would work well on one of those, the 'LHC, not just the Large Hadron Collider' one.
DH is a physicist so I may just get away with sticking that on the back of the car :D

RancheroTheBee
November 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I think it would be cute to have some LHC swag. Plus, it would support the forums. I know there's some handy people here.

little_acorn
November 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
LOL I'm so glad I'm not the only person checking out other long hairs in the hope that they might be LHC members - highly unlikely in my case as there are so few of us in NZ!

I like the secret password idea....

Mind you LHC hair sticks - oh Nightshade!!!!!

Shastrix
November 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I never talk about LHC, either. When talking about a recent mini-meet, I've referred to the member I met with as "a friend I know from an internet site I belong to." Anything more detailed gets me weird looks and awkwards questions from my coworkers and family.

I often play a varient of the "pronoun game" when talking about the LHC with others. :D

I love this idea, I have commented previously on the boards that the large hadron collider is still the first thing that springs to mind when I read "LHC". This would be good way to advertise to others "in the know" without revealing the secret. :cool:

Themyst
November 10th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I love this idea, I have commented previously on the boards that the large hadron collider is still the first thing that springs to mind when I read "LHC". This would be good way to advertise to others "in the know" without revealing the secret. :cool:

I'm thinking that those not-in-the-know probably won't bother asking you "what that means" because I suspect few people know what the Large Hadron Collider is and they won't want to appear unknowing.

But for those that do know what the Large Hadron Collider is, you just might wind up red-faced, seriously trying to explain why on earth you have a hair forum and a six-billion dollar particle accelerator in the same sentence. :p

Little_Bird
November 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Tangerine, I'm so right with you!

Everytime I talk about updo's and all and LHC terminology, people always look at me like this: :confused::confused::confused:

It's so funny... but yes, it makes us feel good about what we've accomplished about our hair and how we see and take care of it...

Unfortunatly, there aren't many LHC people on Portugal, so coming across one of them in the street is oddly difficult :p

Hurray LHC!! :blossom::flower::flowers:

Chrissy
November 10th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I tried to post a pic of me from my album of the kitty cat head band but I failed!! I wanted to say how about this or is it too obvious. Uuggh. I can't delete a post so now it's not funny. :(

Nyghtingale
November 10th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Oh, I am loving this idea. I really like the "Go Long" shirts. Too cute.

EdG
November 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I must admit that whenever I see a woman with exceptionally nice long hair I think to myself "LHC member?" :hmm:

The cheese emoticon seems especially appropriate for an acknowledgment. :cheese:

At a recent meet, at least two strangers who walked past our group asked if we were members of a "long hair club". Apparently, "long hair clubs" are more commonplace than "long hair communities". :)
Ed

Hydrilus
November 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Definitely! And maybe the :cheese: could be added in there as well like EdG suggested hehe

Themyst
November 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I can hardly wait to see how someone incorporates The Long Hair Community, the Large Hadron Collider, and cheese into a symbol or logo. That's got to be some impressive talent!

ETA: Remember that Budweiser ad from a couple of years back, the Whaaaazzzuuuuuppp ad? http://www.phunymovies.com/video/Original-Whats-Up-Commercial Maybe we could do something like that ... Hey, I like your hhhhaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiirrrrrrrr!

PhillyGirl1978@
November 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
what if there were like charm or something, like a golden wide toothed comb or something that we could have on a bracelet or necklace

Tressie
November 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I agree, it does seem like a secret club, in a way! I think it's pretty exclusive too, because you (we) all are so cool! :cool:

These suggestions have been a real hoot and the artwork is great~

LHC CHEESE ANYONE? :cheese:

ZenBird07
November 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Whenever I do venture out, yes! I'm always lookin and wonderin. It does feel like a secret society. I posted about it on my new myspace profile and my battle buddy was like, what's a long hair community. She was happy that I found something I loved but I definately felt ousted from normal society because I'm a member of this one... I'm happy that I know how to take care of my hair and if a fellow longhair LHCer recognizes me for it, I think it would be a sweet moment with or without the cool logos which, by the way, sound awesome...:D

JamieLeigh
November 12th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I definitely feel that way. And lots of people do ask me about LHC, but find that they really don't like my answers. Especially about the conditioner-only washing....wait til they find out some people don't even use conditioner OR shampoo...and yet *gasp!* STILL come out with gorgeous healthy hair. :rolleyes:

jacqueline101
April 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I want to be a member of the secret club.