PDA

View Full Version : Sealing in moisture without oil or cones???

Arctic
November 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Are there other ways to "lock in moisture" in the hair than oils or silicone products?

I can't oil because it aggravates my acne, and don't care for silicones much, though I use them occasionally. I would like to, how ever, help my hair keep the moisture I add into it. Oh and it shouldn't have proteins either ;)

hanne jensen
November 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM
A small amount of coconut oil. Use the oil for external use only. Just a small amount when your hair is slightly damp. It helps to keep your hair up all the time. Air dries hair out, especially now in the heating season.

As for your acne, have you checked out the thread for cleansing the face with a castor oil and sunflower oil blend?

RancheroTheBee
November 10th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Well, you can always try diluting a 'cone-free conditioner. I don't know if it would have the same effect, but it might help a little.

Arctic
November 10th, 2009, 12:18 AM
A small amount of coconut oil. Use the oil for external use only. Just a small amount when your hair is slightly damp. It helps to keep your hair up all the time. Air dries hair out, especially now in the heating season.

As for your acne, have you checked out the thread for cleansing the face with a castor oil and sunflower oil blend?

Unfortunately I can not use oils.
The keeping it up really does help though :)

Arctic
November 10th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Well, you can always try diluting a 'cone-free conditioner. I don't know if it would have the same effect, but it might help a little.

I do that sometimes, but it gives me sticky hair :( My hair and scalp are very difficult to please, unfortunately :( ETA: Apart from being a bit sticky, this does help!

melikai
November 10th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Have you tried Shea butter or Cocoa butter? They are pretty much just solid oils, but maybe they won't transfer to your skin as easily?

rogue_psyche
November 10th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I have the same issue as you, and what works for me is using my GVP Conditioning Balm as a leave in. After a wash I use a pea-sized dab full strength just after I get the excess water out of my hair. Between washes I use it diluted in a sprayer.

It isn't really sealing in moisture, but instead adding more to begin with and then replenishing it when it leaves. Another conditioner may work for you, but I do love how I can pretty much put as much of that stuff as I want in without having greasy or coated-feeling hair.

motormuffin
November 10th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Jojoba...avocado...glycerin?

Heidi_234
November 10th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Yeap, I think that finding a leave in conditioner that works for you is a good idea. Glycerin and aloe vera gel might help too.

Katze
November 10th, 2009, 02:48 AM
we have similar hair, and I find that Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream works really well for me. As with oils, it "takes" better on damp hair, but I also use a tiny bit every day as a leave-in, more if I am trying to get my hair to actually look tidy.

It"s worth mixing up a small batch (equal parts conditioner, coconut oil, and shea butter) and starting with just a half fingernail full on ends/length.

I don't know about anything that really "seals" in moisture. I have to add lots of moisture to my hair, as the length seems to be quite porous. Regular SMTs help with this.

Dars
November 10th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Have you tried damp bunning? And honey? It's a humectant, same as glycerin. And maybe aloe vera could help you? With these ingredients I would mix up a concoction with water and conditioner as well and mist your hair as needed. I personally don't use towels whatsoever on my hair and it's really improved it's moisture condition.