PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla for someone who loves GR Vanilla Hell

Neoma
November 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it. :flower:

I love Goth Rosary Vanilla Hell. It's the fragrance that I use most often.

I just mixed the last of my bottle of Vanilla Hell perfume oil into some coconut oil to use on my hair.

I need to get some more vanilla, but I am loathe to spend $35 on 1/4 oz. of GR, especially since I know that, at some point, I'll probably use some of it to fragrance coconut oil.

So...

Does anyone know of a sweet, toasted vanilla fragrance oil that is relatively inexpensive? I don't want even a hint of florals. The only other vanilla that I really liked was the toasted vanilla from Bath and Body Works, but I don't think they make an oil.

Loviatar
November 10th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I dont know if you can get it where you are, but COTY used to make perfumes called Vanilla Fields and Dark Vanilla. I never picked up florals with those two.

Or, if you're prepared to only buy what you need and not get enabled, you could do a search on the BPAL site for the note 'vanilla' and see which one you think would work best for you. I'm a big fan of Queen Mab and Brisingamen, vanilla-wise, but you might want something more 'edible vanilla' ish like one of the creamy-scented ones. There is one I am sure which is just vanilla cake and cream. I will try to find out the name for you if you like.

Antique Lace is also a vanilla BPAL, but it may have floral (I havent tried that one but people rave about it).

DMARTINEZ
November 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
What about Vanilla Monoi? Not sure if its floral or not,but sure sounds nice. :)

Deb

amaiaisabella
November 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I don't know if you want oil specifically, or a straight vanilla-based perfume, but Victoria's Secret makes a Vanilla Lace body spray that is very nice and lasts a pretty long time :)

Gypsy
November 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I don't know if you want oil specifically, or a straight vanilla-based perfume, but Victoria's Secret makes a Vanilla Lace body spray that is very nice and lasts a pretty long time :)

That is the only perfume I have used for over a decade- even when they discontinued it for 2 years, I still had a supply to keep me in my fave until they brought it back!
It's the yummiest, cookiest, smells like someone is baking-est vanilla perfume!
But it's not an oil, so I don't know if it would work the way Neoma is hoping for.

amaiaisabella
November 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I figured I'd mention it, because it's just so good! My bottle was actually smelling rank for a while (it's a year old) but it either sorted itself out or my nose has become defective, 'cause it smells great again. I wonder if they have an EDT?

*edit* LOOKIE! http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/onlineProductDisplay.vs?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=EF-206471&page=1&cgname=OSBAFGARVNL&rfnbr=6339. I so did not know this!

Cherry_Sprinkle
November 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I dont know if you can get it where you are, but COTY used to make perfumes called Vanilla Fields and Dark Vanilla. I never picked up florals with those two.

Vanilla fields turns to a vanilla and pepper scent on my skin, doesn't bpal offer single note vanilla oil?

Gypsy
November 10th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I figured I'd mention it, because it's just so good! My bottle was actually smelling rank for a while (it's a year old) but it either sorted itself out or my nose has become defective, 'cause it smells great again. I wonder if they have an EDT?

*edit* LOOKIE! http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/onlineProductDisplay.vs?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=EF-206471&page=1&cgname=OSBAFGARVNL&rfnbr=6339. I so did not know this!

Yes, this is what I use- I get a few bottles of the concentrated stuff and more bottles of the body spray and try to save the concentrated stuff for special occasions, although I like it so much more because the scent is better and it last longer so I end up using it up and then having to "slum" with the body spray, ha ha!!

amaiaisabella
November 10th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I've been slumming it for a year. It only lasts if I spray it directly on my clothes, though. I've got a hoodie I wash every so often that smells like vanilla! It turns almost into the smell of vanilla extract.

Now I know what I want for the holidays! :D

RoseRedDead
November 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I agree on VS's Vanilla Lace. It is a very sweet, pure vanilla smell on me (to me). To others they think I smell like a cookie or something... My bottle is about 4 1/2 years old - I got it on my thirteenth birthday and have only used about half of it. (I don't wear perfume a lot, but when I do, this is it.)

I actually need to buy another bottle as a back-up.

amaiaisabella
November 10th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I've heard rumor they changed the formulation of the EDT but I'm not sure about the body splash. Apparently it was discontinued for a while before they bought it back, so now I'm paranoid and asking everyone to get me a bottle for the holiday :)

RoseRedDead
November 10th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I hadn't heard about that, but I recently went in VS (about 1 1/2 months ago) and sniffed it. It smelled the same... of course, I don't remember if I sniffed the EDT or the body mist. Boo.

amaiaisabella
November 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Huge bottle is body splash, with a plastic bottle. The EDT is super short and kinda square glass shaped. I want the EDT so I can feel all fancy :)

Gypsy
November 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I've heard rumor they changed the formulation of the EDT but I'm not sure about the body splash. Apparently it was discontinued for a while before they bought it back, so now I'm paranoid and asking everyone to get me a bottle for the holiday :)

Yes, it was about 8 years ago??
Not sure, but I got lucky when I heard about it, a sales chick in one of the stores mentioned it and how she knew, I don't know, because no one else knew about it and even laughed at me when I asked about it- but I wasn't taking chances.
I bought as much as possible and told all my guy friends to get to the store and buy it up. And they did. I had 2.5 cases of it and it lasted all the way until they brought it back. Literally, I was on my last bottle and in a panic but a friend told me she saw it in the store and yee-haw, I was saved, lol!
The concentrated one is quite small but I don't care. It's not pricey like the stuff I used to wear (Amerige or Tresor) and if you know anyone in the military, you might be able to get it at the PX; I have seen there for about $3.00 less than in the VS store.

amaiaisabella
November 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I love that you were able to accumulate a case of it :)

I don't know any military, but I get Victoria's Secret offers all the time and hope I can start using them towards the scent.

Neoma
November 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Many thanks to everyone who responded! :flowers:

Or, if you're prepared to only buy what you need and not get enabled, you could do a search on the BPAL site for the note 'vanilla' and see which one you think would work best for you. I'm a big fan of Queen Mab and Brisingamen, vanilla-wise, but you might want something more 'edible vanilla' ish like one of the creamy-scented ones. There is one I am sure which is just vanilla cake and cream. I will try to find out the name for you if you like.

Antique Lace is also a vanilla BPAL, but it may have floral (I havent tried that one but people rave about it).Loviatar, I don't think I liked Vanilla Fields, but I don't think I tried Dark Vanilla.

OMG, BPAL and "don't get enabled" don't belong in the same sentence! Yikes. I could try them again. I'm not sure that they're cheaper than GR. I'll have to revisit them. I have several scents of theirs that I love, none of which are vanilla-based. Thank you for the suggestions! :flower:

What about Vanilla Monoi? Not sure if its floral or not,but sure sounds nice. :)

DebDMARTINEZ, I may just break down and buy Vanilla Monoi next time. I was trying to avoid that, since I can buy a giant bottle of Parachute brand coconut oil for next to nothing here in NY. But it might actually save me in the long run if I get that for my hair and save my good perfume for my pulse points. :silly:

I don't know if you want oil specifically, or a straight vanilla-based perfume, but Victoria's Secret makes a Vanilla Lace body spray that is very nice and lasts a pretty long time :)Oh, my... I never tried that one, but it sounds nice. Cookies and vanilla... How bad could that be? :D

ZenBird07
November 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM

Deb

This stuff is wonderful. Aside from my ylang ylang the vanilla monoi is great stuff...and for sure NOT FLORAL...it's very very strong vanilla scent...I mean you have to be a vanilla freak to really like it. I used it on my skin before I went out in the sun and the smell was still lingering days later. I'm not sure if I offended anybody in the elevator or not but I thought it was lovely...HTH:)

amaiaisabella
November 10th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Oh, my... I never tried that one, but it sounds nice. Cookies and vanilla... How bad could that be? :D

I can find a small bottle and put some of my body splash into it for you if you'd like to try it out :flower:

Neoma
November 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
This stuff is wonderful. Aside from my ylang ylang the vanilla monoi is great stuff...and for sure NOT FLORAL...it's very very strong vanilla scent...I mean you have to be a vanilla freak to really like it. I used it on my skin before I went out in the sun and the smell was still lingering days later. I'm not sure if I offended anybody in the elevator or not but I thought it was lovely...HTH:)Yum, that sounds delicious! I think I'm going to have to break down and buy a bottle.

That reminds me of one time when I was in an ATM vestibule. A small boy said, "Mommy! I smell marshmallows." I was wearing some kind of vanilla perfume -- I honestly don't remember what kind. Then he walked right up to me and pointed, "Mommy! I really do smell marshmallows!"

There are worse things than smelling like a marshmallow.

I can find a small bottle and put some of my body splash into it for you if you'd like to try it out :flower:You are so sweet, amaiaisabella! Thank you so much for the offer; I really appreciate it. :flowers: I actually am frequently near a Victoria's Secret -- I just never go in! Next time I'm in that neighborhood, I will pop in and sniff the vanilla perfume.