PDA

View Full Version : Snarls when stared at. What gives?

pinchbeck
November 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Why in the world do some hair types tangle easily after it has been carefully and gently detangled? :confused:

My hair is not chemically processed and not very long, yet it snarls when stared at. Grrrrr.

pepperminttea
November 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'm working with generally well-treated virgin hair and it's exactly the same. I'll be watching this thread. :drama:

Tinose
November 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
It seems to be a combination of a lot of things. I blame my waviness and fineness, generally. Waviness seems to make it more likely for hair to touch itself, while fineness gives it less weight so it's more easily moved. However, tangliness also increases substantially at my ends which aren't really significantly damaged, but do tend to be less well-oiled. Dry hair seems to be much more prone to tangliness.

Alternatively, you did something to anger the dread hair gods :p

Dars
November 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
My take: Loose hair and movement = tangles! Add fine and curly hair to the more prone category. At least that's how it is for me.

Other suggestions I can think of perhaps it's product build up? And maybe it's time for S&D or even a trim?

Fiferstone
November 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM
For me, increased tendency to tangle goes along with increased dryness. It's now November and the air is definitely drier. I'm getting the crazy static electricity snaps and snarls as well. I have to add more moisture to the routine now.

Pifkin
November 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I feel your pain. :(

Paliele
November 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Do you have hard water? I definitely tangle more (often for no good reason, like you said) when I wash my hair in hard water (habitually, the first time or two I usually don't notice) than when I wash in soft water.

pinchbeck
November 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
My take: Loose hair and movement = tangles! Add fine and curly hair to the more prone category. At least that's how it is for me.

Other suggestions I can think of perhaps it's product build up? And maybe it's time for S&D or even a trim?

No trims! I have taken six inches off in the last six months (3" each time) because of tangle issues and from negative comments being made about its length (before it was cut). Although my ends are always bluntly cut my hair still tangles no matter how many trims and cuts it gets.

It makes sense that waviness plus lightness together equals snarls as others have mentioned.

pinchbeck
November 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Do you have hard water? I definitely tangle more (often for no good reason, like you said) when I wash my hair in hard water (habitually, the first time or two I usually don't notice) than when I wash in soft water.
Yes, I have hard water which is a contributing and annoying factor.

spidermom
November 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM
My hair knots up like crazy, too. I have a lot of curly bits on the surface, and they grab onto each other. It's counter-intuitive to LHC wisdom, but I find that blow-drying (on warm and cool, never hot) and a coney serum helps a lot, also wearing it up if I don't have the time or patience to watch out for my hair.

heidihug
November 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Oh, yes, tangles. A fact of life for me. They're why I rarely, if ever, wear my hair down other than at home when I am trying to speed drying. Fine hair plus hard water are definitely contributing factors.

I even get nasty tangles if I leave my hair in a braid for longer than one day. And the nape of my neck is always a mare's nest of knots at the end of the day, just from rubbing against clothing.

angelthadiva
November 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I wear mine up all the time for this very reason. Even with braiding...I have to redo every so often to keep the tangles away. I find as the winter months creep in my clothing plays a huge role in this...The heavy knits, flannel and fleece are not kind to my hair as such, they fight with each other...Best to keep them in their own spaces :D

jojo
November 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Mine too its just a side effect of having fine hair I suppose, oils help me a lot with this and also keeping it up!

rhubarbarin
November 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM
It's a mystery. My hair barely tangles at all, despite being dry, curly, with fine sections, and worn down a lot.

Aerith
November 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
The same thing with me! It's very frustrating. :(